Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 18, 2017 5:55 AM

Aug 2013
I crierrytiem ͡°; ͜ʖ ͡°
especially when Shoko's mom & lil sister do dogeza on Ishida's mom
May 18, 2017 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
I was expecting bigger tear-jerker.

8/10

For the love of God how old is Miyako Ishida ?
SwagernatorMay 18, 2017 6:13 AM
May 18, 2017 6:10 AM

May 2015
Loved the movie. I mean I read the manga of it awhile back and since then I've been waiting for it to get animated(the gods never disappoint us and they made a movie, YES!)
Although there are things left out in the movie, I still love it! The animation is so crisp it's beautiful~ The voice acting is great too :)

I know what's coming but I still cried
The feels!
Who else got cried or got teary-eyed while watching? TuT
SophiaKayeMay 18, 2017 7:48 AM
May 18, 2017 6:11 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Despite the short length, I was expecting the movie to be more enjoyable than the manga for me. My biggest issues with the manga was how the pacing felt inconsistent at times and the subplots went on for too long. With this movie, I was expecting them to cut out the sub-plot, which would make the pacing feel more consistent, and I'm happy with the end result. The pacing does feel a lot better (even if some scenes lack flow from one another). However, the supporting characters look even more useless with the subplot being cut out. But honestly I don't mind, since the supporting characters weren't that well developed in the manga either. The art/animation, the music/sound editing , the "cinematography", they were all so damn good. The director did an amazing job to make this movie feel both polished and intriguing. Also, Ishida and Nishimiya were depicted perfectly well too.

If only this movie came out in North American theaters. Hell, even the SAO movie came out here, yet no Koe no Katachi.
The manga was more like an 8/10 for me, but this adaptation is a 9/10.
May 18, 2017 6:13 AM

May 2015
Swagernator said:
I was expecting bigger tear-jerker.

8/10

btw who is mother of Maria Ishida ? and also wtf is this ? just error in translation ? or did i miss something ?

For the love of God how old is Miyako Ishida ?

Maria's mother is Shouyo's older Sister, they don't show her face for unknown reason. And that guy from Brazil is Pedro, her husband. xD
May 18, 2017 6:17 AM

Apr 2016
@SophiaKaye yeah i was thinking who is that one woman the face is never shown :D
May 18, 2017 6:21 AM

May 2015
Swagernator said:
@SophiaKaye yeah i was thinking who is that one woman the face is never shown :D

Yes~ It's truly a mystery! I wonder what she looks like ^^
May 18, 2017 6:21 AM
Jul 2016
Well I have finished watching this anime how well the art is really amazing as we know it is made from kyoto animation But the story is different from the manga well i enjoy it ^_^
May 18, 2017 6:46 AM

Oct 2014
Pierdo said:
I saw several posts with people stating that the movie's ending is better than the manga. Can anyone give a summary of why (without to many spoilers)?

There is a storyline about Nagatsuka making the movie through the most part of KnK, and its development and conclusion arranged after the movie(KnK) ending. There is also epilogue a couple of years after. The problem is this both part of story are not so deep as the rest of it and really have not so much meaning in story and character development; it just ruined the mood. But the movie(KnK) ending is a really good point in the story where you can end it, logically and polished.

Btw, I love KyoAni so much now. They should make more such stuff
PizzaWarriorMay 18, 2017 9:05 AM
May 18, 2017 6:55 AM
Jun 2016
So pissed that everyone enjoyed it so much haha I am a sucker for tear jerkers, drama is my favorite genre in anime, wish I could have and felt the movie like everyone else. Now I'm left with eternal question "would I have enjoyed it if I had not read the manga?" Who knows
May 18, 2017 10:20 AM

Jun 2013
Ill be honest, i was a bit scared to watch this movie due to some saying how bad it is compared to the manga... But i have no idea what they are talking about, This was BEAUTIFULLY done! Of course it didnt get every single detail, but it was only a 2 hour movie.. And while it did skip a few minor details, it got everything that was important in there!

A perfect adaption in my opinion!
10/10
May 18, 2017 10:24 AM

Aug 2016
Once again, MC's mom is da real mvp. I felt that the pacing was a bit off and they obviously didn't have to flesh out the supporting cast but damn did the movie look beautiful. OST was okay, I felt some parts had weird music placements.

Overall, an enjoyable movie since even though the events that took place seemed to be too sudden, bullying and it's the implications were greatly emphasized at the start.

8/10

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

May 18, 2017 10:30 AM

Feb 2016
The beginning was really brutal with the bullying but unfortunately that is a part of society. I felt Anger, Joy, Sadness, Pity, multiple emotions throughout. Haven't read the manga so not sure how it compares but a really well made movie that sends a good message.

9/10

-Ueno deserved that slap a lot sooner lol.
May 18, 2017 11:41 AM

May 2015
Shit. This hit me harder than manga. 10/10 from me.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 18, 2017 12:02 PM
Sep 2013
Finally Saw this movie. This and Your Name are the films that I have wanted to see for so long. Of course they couldn't adept the entire manga but I felt this captured the most important parts. The ost really set the mood and helped out the scenes I liked from the manga. The way they did the ending brought a good closer. I kind of wanted the scene where they return to the middle school but that wouldn't have made sense. I enjoyed this probably more than the manga. 10/10 for me.
May 18, 2017 12:11 PM
Jun 2013
I'd probably settle for a 9.5 with my only issue mainly lying with Satoshi's character almost feeling unnecessary due to the removal of the movie arc. I would have been fine if they wrote him out for the movie to be honest.

The story never felt rushed, the art and animation was on point, the music was excellent for a SoL/Drama, and the characters felt fleshed out (minus Satoshi) just enough for what I expect to see in a two hour movie.
May 18, 2017 12:23 PM

May 2016
Just finished it moments ago. Overall, amazing film that I would definitely remember. It felt refreshing and the characters really grew on me. Hell, it was portrayed realistically enough that I could recognise familiar situations and even glimpses of real people I know. But in the end, being an anime-only watcher, reading the comments made me realised that lots of value adding parts were cut off. A hell of a precious lot. So to the manga I shall go.
May 18, 2017 12:27 PM

May 2015
I initially wanted to finish the manga before the movie, but guess the usual lazy me didn't get to that in the end and my impatience got the best of me like always.

Aside from the obvious high quality, beautiful visuals and top-notch animation (which are KyoAni's usual strong points), I think they did a really fantastic job with the adaptation despite adapting the whole thing in a 2-hour movie. It did a nice job at pulling my heart strings and I think it created the right atmosphere and caught the content's essence. (Side) Characters may not have been the strongest point, but it was good enough nonetheless. Nice music as well.

But what really stood out, I'd say, is probably the voice acting performance, especially Saori's. She did such a great and wonderful job. Props to her, hands down.

Lovely movie, I loved every moment of it. End up as one of my favorites without a doubt. Only disappointing thing was the ending. It felt kinda lacking and it could've been better, but no big deal.

10/10.

May 18, 2017 12:36 PM

Sep 2012
Did they just skip the entire plot of the second part of the show? Where is the movie making part? Where is the backstory of Kawai? Where is the story of red haired guy?

I don't know how someone can rate this higher than 7 if you read the manga...

Tbh some scenes were really good. With OSTs they get even better but they skipped a lot. They could put those scenes instead of making anime original scenes.

As for the end I am ok with anime original ending but I think they at least should show the ship at the end. Oh well 7/10
sasalxMay 18, 2017 12:42 PM
May 18, 2017 12:44 PM

Oct 2013
hmmm.... Where should I start... Didn't they missed the plot ? I really wanted to watch how Kawai was bullied... We didn't even see the movie making part.... Where is the Sahara's chara development ? Why Shouko's mom suddenly changed her attitude towards to Ishida ? There are tons of unanswered, skipped, questions throughout the movie...

And one of the major point, where the fuck ishida x shoko ship ? Also didn't like the original ending.

They skipped a lot... Artworks and soundtracks though, were good.

Overall 7/10
kondantaMay 18, 2017 12:47 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2017 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
I don't know if it was because I had high expectations or something, but I kinda thought there would be more. I'll admit it was good, but just that, a good movie. KyoAni keeps impressing with it's great visuals.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 18, 2017 2:39 PM

Jul 2011
Ishida = irl myself (and still ongoing...), but no more about myself, let's talk about movie instead.

Manga was awesome, but as usual I prefer to watch anime (including voices and colors, and moving things), Shoko silent and funny sounds as usual, and everyone in cast characters with their own flaws...

I still hate (love) Ueno everytime I see her, I never forgive her, as she will never stop remember the past.

5/5, and included as my only favorite anime, there might be some others, but until I see better movie which actually made me feel something, Koe no Katachi will stay alone in my favorite list.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
May 18, 2017 2:39 PM

Nov 2015
Tokoya said:
This movie was amazing.....I knew that bullying in Japan is a big problem, but if it's like how it was in this movie, then I can't help but feel bad for every kid affected by it and I hope that this film can raise awareness on just how disgusting bullying is everywhere....The suicide related stuff really fucked with me too >.<

My only gripe with this film is that I wish that the ending gave us a bit more....Like it would have been nice to get a time skip and see where everyone ended up in life, plus even though they kinda implied it, I wish that we got a definite confirmation that Ishida and Shouko got together

Other than that, I had no issues with this film and I loved how much emotions both positive and negative that this film brought out of me

9.5/10
The thing is movie cut a lot of stuff from the manga and if u want a little better ending read the last 10 chapters it has graduation and stuff and gives u alot more that u can guaratee they are/will be a couple
You cannot spell Light without L
May 18, 2017 2:43 PM

Nov 2015
Can someone explain to me what happened at the end i mean was that a timeskip where reunite which i think it is or something else..and if its not did ishida end up going to Tokyo
May 18, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2017
Just finished it, pretty good. It did bother me a slight bit we didn't see them actually get together. Visually it was pretty on point as well, I liked the whole X-face thing too.

Won't rate cause f*** ratings

"That's my precious
image of happiness..."

- I have no clue... -
May 18, 2017 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
It was an amazing experience. Waiting all those month was worth it.
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Asdedix147&sclick=1]
May 18, 2017 3:50 PM

Nov 2015
joe_g7 said:
I don't know if it was because I had high expectations or something, but I kinda thought there would be more. I'll admit it was good, but just that, a good movie. KyoAni keeps impressing with it's great visuals.

thet cut a lot of content and alot of side characters development and they didnt even adapt like the last 10 chapters..it was awsome but if they did TV series they could have done it way better
May 18, 2017 3:58 PM

Sep 2016
i really love that movie ;3
but that ending was good but something wasn't there ..i through they will be together or something ;(
maybe its just me thinking that ;(
May 18, 2017 5:05 PM
Sep 2013
MrOrzech97 said:
but that ending was good but something wasn't there ..i through they will be together or something ;(
The manga goes a bit deeper on there relationship since this was 2hrs they couldn't adapt the story fully.
May 18, 2017 5:40 PM

Aug 2016
KyoAni specifically skipped all the parts I thought wasn't great in manga... That's why I thought the anime was better than manga without a doubt!

I am not a huge fan of KyoAni (I think the average for my other KyoAni anime are around 5), but this one deserves a 10. If I don't give this a 10, then I don't think I can give out 10s anymore....

But I do agree that this is not the PERFECT anime, but this is the one that got closest to PERFECT. But that's also because there are so many terrible slice-of-life/drama anime (specifically CLANNAD).
May 18, 2017 6:35 PM

Mar 2012
sasalx said:
I don't know how someone can rate this higher than 7 if you read the manga..
Because, as others said, what they cut out isn't really all that great. In fact the movie is better for cutting them out because even the good subplots really screwed with the tone and the pacing.

If you ask me, every single one of the anime original scenes are far more interesting than fucking Big Friend trying to make a movie.
May 18, 2017 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
so with a lot of expectations i started watching it but honestly by the end, it was just a big MEH in my face.
i just couldn't get the whole feels in this movie at all
only the 2 mcs mattered the most and they didn't even seem that great
the other characters... why were they even there in the first place?
7/10, disappointed. :(
May 18, 2017 6:40 PM

Aug 2012
SeibaaHomu said:
sasalx said:
I don't know how someone can rate this higher than 7 if you read the manga..
Because, as others said, what they cut out isn't really all that great. In fact the movie is better for cutting them out because even the good subplots really screwed with the tone and the pacing.

If you ask me, every single one of the anime original scenes are far more interesting than fucking Big Friend trying to make a movie.

I just started the watching the movie but the part where they showed Shota's mom with her ear bleeding was that new just for the movie? I dont remember that happening in the manga
May 18, 2017 6:48 PM

Mar 2012
Decoysknight said:
SeibaaHomu said:

I just started the watching the movie but the part where they showed Shota's mom with her ear bleeding was that new just for the movie? I dont remember that happening in the manga
Pretty sure that was in the manga. Though I found it a lot more effective in the movie.

The anime original stuff is mostly adding on to existing scenes to flesh everything out a bit more. Like actually showing Shouya attempting suicide at the beginning of the movie rather than just implying he thought about it at some point.
May 18, 2017 6:59 PM

May 2015
That was great. Really enjoyed that. I think the ending could've been better and I didn't really see the point in Kawai and Mashiba. Other than that, yeah, awesome. 8.5/10. Not sure whether to give it an 8 or a 9. I'll sleep on it.
May 18, 2017 7:54 PM

Sep 2016
hantere said:
MrOrzech97 said:
The manga goes a bit deeper on there relationship since this was 2hrs they couldn't adapt the story fully.

then i think i will needed to buy a manga ;3 but still they could do it in two parts.. right ?
May 18, 2017 7:58 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Broonos said:
Tokoya said:
This movie was amazing.....I knew that bullying in Japan is a big problem, but if it's like how it was in this movie, then I can't help but feel bad for every kid affected by it and I hope that this film can raise awareness on just how disgusting bullying is everywhere....The suicide related stuff really fucked with me too >.<

My only gripe with this film is that I wish that the ending gave us a bit more....Like it would have been nice to get a time skip and see where everyone ended up in life, plus even though they kinda implied it, I wish that we got a definite confirmation that Ishida and Shouko got together

Other than that, I had no issues with this film and I loved how much emotions both positive and negative that this film brought out of me

9.5/10
The thing is movie cut a lot of stuff from the manga and if u want a little better ending read the last 10 chapters it has graduation and stuff and gives u alot more that u can guaratee they are/will be a couple
Ohhh okay cool, thanks for the heads up
May 18, 2017 8:53 PM

Aug 2012
OK, just finished watching it. I definitely think that this could have been better it was longer or maybe turned to something like a 6 part episode or something. Alot of the scenes are just missing so much impact that I have felt when I was reading the manga version.
May 18, 2017 9:27 PM

Nov 2014
I was expecting a lot more from this when it first came out but when I finally watched it I felt just a bit disappointed, I thought there would be more to it, especially the romance felt 'eh'. There's also this feeling of emptiness (idk if that's the correct word for it) when you're gauging the contents of the whole movie; it's just a bit unsatisfying. Despite of what I said, I still liked the movie. It's above average, solid 7.5/10.
mizukasaMay 18, 2017 9:47 PM
May 18, 2017 10:18 PM
Apr 2012
Pm me please where to watch it.

Nvm I found it on HD 1080 free online. I can pm anyone who wants to see it.
flackMay 18, 2017 10:34 PM
May 18, 2017 10:29 PM

Feb 2009
Yes, they cut stuff out but personally I actually liked this a lot better then the manga. I was actually rather disappointed in the manga, but I found the film trimmed the right parts and flowed a lot more naturally.

It was a 9/10 for me
May 18, 2017 11:24 PM

Sep 2015
7/10 Just cause a lot of details from manga got left out and didnt like some changes. Ik Ik its a movie but wtf felt so rushed too. But dam hate I still hate Kawai. But anyways pretty accurate for myself since I havent had friends since 8th grade and now in 11th grade just cause i used to be such a serious asshole and being a loner just made life way better for me.
May 19, 2017 1:57 AM
Apr 2012
Just finished the movie. I am very surprised, this movie is atleast as good as average kimi no nawa. Should be way more popular than it currently is.
May 19, 2017 2:30 AM

Dec 2015
Broonos said:
joe_g7 said:

thet cut a lot of content and alot of side characters development and they didnt even adapt like the last 10 chapters..it was awsome but if they did TV series they could have done it way better
To be honest I kinda felt that, even though I haven't read the manga it felt like things were missing.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 19, 2017 5:33 AM
May 2013
The manga is one of my all time favorites, but the anime is one of my biggest disappointments of all time. I was expecting a significant portion of the story to be cut when adapting a 7 volume manga into a 2 hour movie, but what we were left with is barely coherent in my opinion. Way too much detail, context and character development was cut. some characters show up unexplained and only ever get a few speaking lines. With how little each scene flows into each other, I don't think I would have been able to follow the story if i didn't read the manga. I also don't think character motivations were explained well. I agree that the movie making portion is kind of boring in the manga, but it is so important to the characters developing relationships.

It isn't all bad though. KyoAni did a fantastic job animating it, and I loved getting to see some of the best scenes animated finally. They did a pretty good job fitting the main idea of the story into the film, but with all that was cut, it lacked some of the emotional impact it had for me in certain scenes in the manga. (the balcony scene and the scene where everyone is arguing on the bridge in particular.)

I would say it is good and worth watching, but would highly recommend watching it after reading the manga. 7/10.
May 19, 2017 6:34 AM

Feb 2014
Disappointed me. Was extremely slow paced even with the amount of content they would of cut from the source material. I am very surprised at the score because its definitely did not feel that strong.

At best its an 8
eXtacy67May 19, 2017 6:39 AM
May 19, 2017 7:18 AM

Jun 2015
I think my favorite part about the ending is when Ishida starts crying and all the x marks fall off everybody's faces. Because Ishida walks out with his ears covered, he finally is able to see (hear) the world the way Nishimiya does. This changes everything, and when he finally takes his hands off his ears, he realizes the pain and suffering that Nishimiya had to go through just to keep on going with her life. He took his ability to hear for granted and did not think to put himself in her shoes. It was so hard for her that she tried (like Ishida) to take her own life. They both suffer, but because they are together, they can be strong.

Although the ending parts from the ending of the manga and a lot of things from the manga are dropped out, I love how Ishida has that realization at the end that him and Nishimiya are both strong enough to get through anything.

About the content from the manga that was dropped -- it is an over two hour film. It would be almost impossible to fit every single aspect from the manga into the movie. For that, maybe a 10-12 episode anime would be better. I honestly wish it were an anime instead of a film, because a lot of details were dropped. But we got a movie, and what we got I very much enjoyed. Plus I enjoy just about everything from KyoAni (an emphasis on the just about **cough cough Musaigen no Phantom World cough cough**).

I am a bit disappointed that they did not include Shoko's mother's struggle with her husband and her husband's family leaving her because of Nishimiya's disability. Also, in general, I wish that the mother could've had a bigger role in the story as she did in the manga. I feel that the first of those two could've been incorporated into the movie as it would've only added about two minutes, but it's okay.

Nevertheless, it was a beautiful film. I don't know how to rate it otherwise. My ratings are completely subjective, so yeah, I might be biased, but it's my opinion.
FranklyNerdyMay 19, 2017 7:27 AM
May 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Mar 2016
7+/10 (manga 8.5/10)

Special thanks to KyoAni for: no fanservice, no moegarbage and full 2D animation.
best work after KEY vn's (+Hyouka?)
May 19, 2017 9:21 AM

Jan 2010
It's a good story, but directing and editing felt a bit inconsistent and rushed. I should read the manga, the art is really beautiful.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
May 19, 2017 10:15 AM

Aug 2016
Beautifull movie, loved it all the way trough.
Nanika ga Okashii
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.