Forum Settings
Forums

manga getting axed because the anime failed to amuse japanese audience (who have shit taste)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 21, 2017 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
hoopla123 said:

^^^

Like the fuck is this bullshit lmao.

I'm sure 99% of you people in here haven't bought a single Keijo volume or an anime BD (which is the reason why it got axed in the first place).

If you call Japan shit taste pleb plains (which they are) for not buying Keijo shit and you didn't buy the Keijo shit either (which you didn't), you are pretty much the same thing as well.
I think it's time to realise non domestic market don't weight in the process. Even not French market, that is the only other decent manga/anime market compared to the japanese one. American market is a joke, it's a pebble on a mountain. You can spread this where you want, it's not the 3 idiots who will buy japnese manga they don't understand that will change something (because supporting is good, but let's be clear, buying something you don't get is stupid)

Japanese companies only cares about what happen in japan

biggest crock of shit i've ever heard.
it blows my mind there are people stupid enough to actually believe something like this.
Apr 21, 2017 6:32 PM
Mar 2017
Thank god. Japanese actually have good taste for once.
Keijo!!! is a terrible show and manga, and does not deserve to be published in place of other potentially good manga.
Apr 21, 2017 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
jarring said:

it blows my mind there are people stupid enough to actually believe something like this.
In what way. What I'm saying is that it can be as popular as you want in the west, and selling well there, if it doesn't work in japan, it's gonna get axed. I'm not saying you don't have to support an author if you like the work by buying the things if they're available in your country.

japan makes stuff all the time SPECIFICALLY for the west.
Apr 21, 2017 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
jarring said:

japan makes stuff all the time SPECIFICALLY for the west.
Have you some example? Because like that, I don't get what you're talking about. Now yeah, since we're talking about the cancellation of the manga, I tended to consider the manga mainly. It's true that you have more and more japanese BR with english subtitles. I may be wrong about that.

um. examples? there are tons.. i'd rather give you a single gigantic example that isn't just an anime or manga, but instead, lays the very foundation of home entertainment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC
Apr 21, 2017 6:54 PM

Mar 2017
Wow what... That was really over-the-top there. Why must the blame be placed on the manga if the anime's a failure? Outrageous. But then again, people have differing opinion so we can't don anything about that. But to axe it just because of that is... I'm still speechless.

Then again, please don't take out your anger at your mom for this. It's not like she's at fault for this to happen.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 21, 2017 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
@jarring. Ok, I may see where the problem is. When I said "Japanese companies only cares about what happen in japan", I was talking about the manga/anime field. I though it was obvious, since it was the subject of the thread, but I guess not. But if you have case of an anime/manga surviving because of its western support when it was not really well recieved in Japan, I'm still open to hear it.

but still that isn't true either.
anime and manga has most definitely changed to suit the western market since it gained popularity overseas. It's just not as easy to give a single example like JVC.
Apr 21, 2017 7:06 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well you know the saying: "All good things must come to an end"

But clearly Keijo wasn't good enough for Japan.
Apr 21, 2017 7:09 PM

Oct 2015
RIP, I actually enjoyed reading the manga
Apr 21, 2017 7:13 PM

Mar 2016
GangsterCat said:
this morning I checked reddit for news and stuff, I read that Keijo!!!!!!!!!!, my favorite manga that I even followed the raw releases is getting axed because the japanese audience (shit taste audience) don't really buy the anime even though the manga is doing pretty fine and Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the news this morning. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Keijo!!!!!!!!! getting axed? This can’t be happening. I’m having a fucking breakdown. I don’t want to believe the animanga industry is so shit. I want a great manga to read. I want Keijo!!!!!!!!!!!! to be top selling manga and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought it was ranked well in Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine???? This is so fucked.

WTF MAN I'M HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN RIGHT NOW

lol the nugget meme

chicken tendies aside, I didn't know Keijo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was that popular to begin with. I don't even know what it's about but I'm sorry to hear it's being cut. Maybe if there's enough fan outcry something will change? Keep your hopes up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2017 7:15 PM

Nov 2013
Johnnyd3rp said:
Never read an ongoing manga, if it gets axed you're fucked.
this is the main reason i dont even read manga.....
Apr 21, 2017 7:15 PM

Nov 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Anyone who didn't buy any manga volumes or anime BDs (or other relevant merchandise) of it has no right to complain about anything getting axed

That's the cold hard truth here I'm afraid
I watched it on Crunchyroll D: I still pay for that doesnt that count :(?
Apr 21, 2017 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
@turtles_hunter

screw it. how about this as an example. there are a bunch of shows like this one that were written produced and voiced in america, but animated in japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThunderCats

i mean, it's seriously ignorant to think the west doesn't influence what kinda media comes out of japan. that's all i'm saying.
Apr 21, 2017 7:18 PM

Aug 2015
That's what you deserve for browsing reddit.
Apr 21, 2017 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
jarring said:

anime and manga has most definitely changed to suit the western market since it gained popularity overseas. It's just not as easy to give a single example like JVC.
Yeah, the fact it changed to be more western friendly, I can conceive it. But with the number of BR that are not subbed, and the way their manga are prepublished, I always thought it was more like a something more, but that the important thing always was the domestic market. If a manga get poor rating in a magazine, it get axed. And Westerners don't get their word to say.

When I said that other market were nothing compared to Japan, I have those numbers in my head. https://www.journaldujapon.com/2016/02/25/bilan-manga-2015-ventes-et-ca-repart/ (It's in french, but still, the graphic talks by itself). It's commonly know that French market the second market behind japan. and the annual sales are between 11 and 15 millions copies sold. That's about the number of One Piece volumes sold in Japan by year. So yeah, the it's not that big. And 90% of the manga sales in France are the 20 very popular series. So with that in mind, I doubt the foreign market really weight in the decision of axing a serie. And the public actually able to read japanese too marginal to change something by buying the japanese volumes.

For anime, I'm more encline to believe you. Since the production system works by seasons that are produced for a define number of episode (except for long running), so yeah, here, West could play its part, if it bought the BR/DVD. but there is still to many show that don't get english subtitles on the BR. So I'm not so sure they consider the foreign market that much. And there is the fact that the same way manga magazine get their series rated, there is the rating after television diffusion. A show that doesn't work in japan is a loss for the channel. I don't see how they would give it a second season if it doesn't work on the domestic market. I seriously doubt a series that fails in TV diffusion but works well in simulcast in the west will get a second season on Japanese TV. That would be weird. At Best it could work for OAV.

most of the people who watch anime these days live stream it. i don't know anyone that watches anime on TV any more.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm sure it's the same way in Japan. if it failed on television, it's probably because the target demographic wasn't watching it on television.
Apr 21, 2017 7:38 PM

Sep 2015
FuzyLoL said:
HaXXspetten said:
Anyone who didn't buy any manga volumes or anime BDs (or other relevant merchandise) of it has no right to complain about anything getting axed

That's the cold hard truth here I'm afraid
I watched it on Crunchyroll D: I still pay for that doesnt that count :(?

I was just going to say the same. Watched it on Crunchyroll using my paid subscription. I pay for entertainment unlike 99% of MAL.
Apr 21, 2017 7:42 PM

Aug 2009
Welcome to anime industry folks~ where only 10-20% anime produced will achieve great success and others are just breaking it even or worse flopping badly...

its a sad reality... so if you have a favorite anime try to support it as much as you can.. by watching it on official streaming sites and buying legitimate merchandise
Apr 21, 2017 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
jarring said:

Yeah, the fact it changed to be more western friendly, I can conceive it. But with the number of BR that are not subbed, and the way their manga are prepublished, I always thought it was more like a something more, but that the important thing always was the domestic market. If a manga get poor rating in a magazine, it get axed. And Westerners don't get their word to say.

When I said that other market were nothing compared to Japan, I have those numbers in my head. https://www.journaldujapon.com/2016/02/25/bilan-manga-2015-ventes-et-ca-repart/ (It's in french, but still, the graphic talks by itself). It's commonly know that French market the second market behind japan. and the annual sales are between 11 and 15 millions copies sold. That's about the number of One Piece volumes sold in Japan by year. So yeah, the it's not that big. And 90% of the manga sales in France are the 20 very popular series (OP and FT alone are 20% of the sales). So with that in mind, I doubt the foreign market really weight in the decision of axing a serie. And the public actually able to read japanese too marginal to change something by buying the japanese volumes.

For anime, I'm more encline to believe you. Since the production system works by seasons that are produced for a define number of episode (except for long running), so yeah, here, West could play its part, if it bought the BR/DVD. but there is still to many show that don't get english subtitles on the BR. So I'm not so sure they consider the foreign market that much. And there is the fact that the same way manga magazine get their series rated, there is the rating after television diffusion. A show that doesn't work in japan is a loss for the channel. I don't see how they would give it a second season if it doesn't work on the domestic market. I seriously doubt a series that fails in TV diffusion but works well in simulcast in the west will get a second season on Japanese TV. That would be weird. At Best it could work for OAV.

For your example about thundercats, we had the discussion on the western animation thread. That's still a cartoon even if animation is done in japan. Of course Anime influence the the west, and the the west influence anime. But my point since the beginning is the following one "if the manga doesn't work in japan, you won't save it by buying the localised version of it, or even the japanese version. If the anime didn't work in japan, there is very few chances that you can save it by buying the BR. Because your voice is too small compared to the one of the domestic market". It seemed pretty clear to me, but now, I'm not a native speaker.

wrong.
sure, maybe just ME and only ME, but.
if 1 million westerners each paid a dollar for keijo, you're damn straight there's going to be more keijo.
Apr 21, 2017 7:50 PM

Sep 2013
tfw unironically best action anime of 2016 gets axed, and author blames himself for poor reception of anime and no one else cares unless it happens to their favourite series. Unfortunate.
Apr 21, 2017 7:51 PM
May 2015
is life even worth living without a keijo manga? sorry god im done
Apr 21, 2017 7:56 PM
Jan 2017
US also have shit taste as they cancel Young Justice because not enough people buys toys and okay ratings.
Apr 21, 2017 7:59 PM
Sep 2011
Keijo is shit

your taste is shit

Lmao

Apr 21, 2017 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
It had 15 tankoubans, 15? Does anyone realize how rare that is to begin with? Why did the anime not catch on in Japan? Boredom perhaps. Seems like the series was at the end of it's natural life-cycle.
Apr 21, 2017 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
Pullman said:
That's funny.
because it shows that Japan has some decent taste sometimes and gives me hope for future seasons :>.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm genuinely surprised by this turn of events.
This kind of change is a good thing, it makes me hopeful that they aren't purely shallow.
Apr 21, 2017 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Turtles_Hunter said:
@jarring Sure, but still, they have the number from online diffusion. They take them in account when they determine if the show worked or no (and by worked, I mean is profitable). It's probably diffused on the website of the channel, or their YT page (like Gundam.info for all the gundam shows). But not many studio diffuse their works for internationnal audience like that.
Now there is the simulcast thing. on that, yeah, the Western world can be weight in the balance.

But once again, very few shows are ONA. The biggest part of anime is still aimed for television, with streaming as a complement. And if the channel don't find it's content there, Simulcast can be as good as you want, it's not gonna work. If streaming was the best source of revenue, you can be sure animation industry would have shifted to internet mainly. If it's still contracted with channel, it's probably because it where they get their money. I would add I doubt japanese tv channel get money on simulcast show. Studio do. And even if they do, that surely not a lot compared to what they earn with domestic market (but now, on that, I may be wrong).
But As I said, the line is not as clear for anime as it is for manga. So yeah, simulcast could help a little. More than buying the BR or mangas. But if we want to know if it could save a show or not, we should have the comparision between western simulcast and japanese one.

jarring said:
wrong.
sure, maybe just ME and only ME, but.
if 1 million westerners each paid a dollar for keijo, you're damn straight there's going to be more keijo.
And do you believe there are 1 million westerner that even want to watch keijo.
First of all, Keijo is before anything else a manga. And as I mentionned earlier, western market is really weak compared to japanese one. We don't weight enough. And for the anime, I'm sorry, but it's too much of a niche to attract 1 million wester viewers. It's not realist. Sure, if it was like that, we would have a strong influence. Except it isn't. We fell in the the "if realm" right now.

there's certainly enough I'd think. little witch academia was crowdfunded through kickstarter and reached its quota in a couple days.
Apr 21, 2017 8:36 PM
Apr 2017
OhTaKuSo said:
Could it be that we have the shit taste?
WHERE IS YOUR SIGNATURE FROM!!!!!!!!!?????????
Apr 21, 2017 8:38 PM

Sep 2015
It´s a garbage ecchi series, who cares?
"You're a hero... and you have to leave."
Apr 21, 2017 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Dpc292 said:
OhTaKuSo said:
Could it be that we have the shit taste?
WHERE IS YOUR SIGNATURE FROM!!!!!!!!!?????????

interested, i looked to see what it was
i'll answer for him
teekyuu
i couldn't watch it. T.T
Apr 21, 2017 9:03 PM

Mar 2013
JokerRabbitt said:
It´s a garbage ecchi series, who cares?

Yep. This.
This show was one of the shittiest thing I've ever watched. I have the scars you know...
I'm only sad about the mangaká getting all the blame.

_junoApr 21, 2017 9:12 PM
Apr 21, 2017 9:05 PM

Mar 2017
Chandela said:
Pullman said:
That's funny.
because it shows that Japan has some decent taste sometimes and gives me hope for future seasons :>.
This kind of change is a good thing, it makes me hopeful that they aren't purely shallow.
Well at least Keijo was trying to be innovative with its fanservice. I would be much more happier if Japan starts banning all those shitty fantasy harem ecchis which air every single season.
Apr 21, 2017 9:10 PM

Oct 2016
Chandela said:
Pullman said:
That's funny.

You're genuinely surprised that the small show with niche appeal that took risks didn't achieve massive success? I don't think you've been paying attention.
Apr 21, 2017 10:03 PM
Feb 2017
In Japan they have to appeal to people with shit taste as well.
Apr 21, 2017 10:09 PM

Jan 2015
GangsterCat said:
this morning I checked reddit for news and stuff, I read that Keijo!!!!!!!!!!
wtf I love japanese japanese cartoon enthusiasts now
DiginarcissaApr 21, 2017 10:12 PM
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 21, 2017 10:11 PM

May 2016
Life lesson: Do not let yourself get attached to anything so intensely that you would freak out and even snap at your mom when something bad happens to it. Seriously, not many things in this world are worth of such mental instability and freaking anime is definitely not one of them.
HyperLApr 21, 2017 10:35 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Apr 21, 2017 10:24 PM

May 2014
Vlad4o said:
It's obvious that Japan enjoyed watching gay men dancing on solid water more than cute girls fighting with their boobs and butts so.....RIP Keijo I guess.

^This is a lot of truth in one statement.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Apr 21, 2017 10:33 PM
Jan 2017
Pullman said:
That's funny.
I feel bad for the fans but actually not really because it shows that Japan has some Crap taste sometimes and gives me hope for future seasons :>.

FIXED. I saw the Lapis avatar and realized there no way you wrote Japan had good taste bc Keijo fail in Japan when is clearly a great anime and you clearly would not hate it unless you have shit taste, which I know you don't and not just the fact that you have different opinion and shit taste is just a stupid meme. That would be ridiculous.

YOU WELCOME.
Apr 21, 2017 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
SillySlySy said:
Chandela said:

You're genuinely surprised that the small show with niche appeal that took risks didn't achieve massive success? I don't think you've been paying attention.
No shit I haven't been paying attention, that's why I'm surprised.
Are you paying attention?
Apr 21, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
the difference here is that japan is still trying to develop their senses where westerners already know and embrace their shitty taste.

a good example of this is the tradition of mcdonalds.

a japanese person will drop their entire allowance on mickey d's, whereas an american will order off the dollar menu because they know they're getting shit either way.

japan has a ways to go before they know what shit even tastes like.
Apr 21, 2017 11:08 PM

Jun 2007
Serious/mature show fails: "Japan has shit taste, they only like mindless T&A!"

Boobie show fails: "...Japan still has shit taste!"

jarring said:

it blows my mind there are people stupid enough to actually believe something like [Japanese companies only cares about what happen in japan]
Interestingly enough, it's always the people looking to justify their not purchasing anything who say things like that, not the ones actually importing Japanese discs/books/other merchandise themselves. Funny how that works out.
Apr 21, 2017 11:12 PM

Oct 2016
Chandela said:
SillySlySy said:

Well pay attention. Passion projects like Keijo!!!!!!!! have never been popular and you're celebrating a little guy getting stepped on by the corporate formulaic approach to storytelling.
Apr 21, 2017 11:12 PM
Feb 2017
I have a simple answer for you ...... no one in Japan is writing manga or making anime based on your likes and dislikes!
Apr 21, 2017 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
You calling Japan shit taste for not supporting the series that you like when you yourself wouldn't support it one way or another (assuming the way you're complaining about it sounds as if you got butthurt) is rather pathetic.

If you want the series to do well, then try to at least support it by at least even buying an manga volume. That's just saying a cent here, considering mangas wouldn't cost that much depending on how much they offer for them, instead of bitching and complaining about Japan not supporting your favorite series and them being apparently "shit taste" by your logic. Japan doesn't have to only support the series, anyone around the world should at least try to.
Apr 21, 2017 11:29 PM
Jul 2018
Zalis said:
Serious/mature show fails: "Japan has shit taste, they only like mindless T&A!"

Boobie show fails: "...Japan still has shit taste!"

jarring said:

it blows my mind there are people stupid enough to actually believe something like [Japanese companies only cares about what happen in japan]
Interestingly enough, it's always the people looking to justify their not purchasing anything who say things like that, not the ones actually importing Japanese discs/books/other merchandise themselves. Funny how that works out.

really, that's all it was he was doing? i mean i get it, a single vote and all doesn't really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. here i was dropping like...a grand on anime vhs back in the 90s when maybe just maybe we could have never even watched it at all.
Apr 21, 2017 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
How DARE you wast such valuable chicken nuggets?! You monster... ;~;

I bet those were Chick-fil-a nuggets too ;~;

Oh, and uh, poor Keijo, I guess...

The cows will find you.

Nugget killer.

I like Nuggets so this hurts ;_;

A moment of silence for the poor Chicken Nuggets.
Apr 21, 2017 11:32 PM

Jan 2013
SillySlySy said:
Chandela said:

Well pay attention. Passion projects like Keijo!!!!!!!! have never been popular and you're celebrating a little guy getting stepped on by the corporate formulaic approach to storytelling.
What is it to you that I hold a different standard as to what is an applicable approach to the storytelling medium. Passion project or not, that doesn't mean I have to adhere to it. To each their own, if that isn't obvious by now then I'm at a loss.
Apr 21, 2017 11:45 PM

Jan 2015
It didn't have enough feminine looking anime "men" that do ice skating.

Better luck next time.
Apr 21, 2017 11:53 PM

Sep 2014
Sh
Shrimperor said:
>complaining about a shit series getting axed

stay classy, MAL.

Shit series or not, it still is kinda unfair to the author.
Apr 21, 2017 11:57 PM

Oct 2016
Chandela said:
What is it to you that I hold a different standard as to what is an applicable approach to the storytelling medium. Passion project or not, that doesn't mean I have to adhere to it. To each their own, if that isn't obvious by now then I'm at a loss.
Nobody is telling you what to like or dislike. What possesses a person to go into a thread about a show that doesn't appeal to them, to celebrate a bad business situation screwing the author of that story, and then act like they're on the defensive? To each their own, buddy. Hopefully this author can have success elsewhere.
Apr 21, 2017 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
Noo, I actually wanted to eat some chicken nuggets now :(
Apr 22, 2017 12:02 AM

Jun 2015
DarkFatalKnight said:

Better luck next time.

Well obviously if it had bishiounens intead of bikini chicks it would become top tier anime.
:)
Apr 22, 2017 12:10 AM

Jan 2015
desseroni said:
DarkFatalKnight said:

Better luck next time.

Well obviously if it had bishiounens intead of bikini chicks it would become top tier anime.
Precisely.

Also don't forget that it would make it into those top Japan anime DVD sales. The women over there that buy into that stuff don't know what a man actually is or looks like for that matter.

For shame.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 43 seconds ago

0 by LenRea »»
43 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

25 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - Yesterday

6 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

56 by Gensouori »»
5 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

56 by LenRea »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.