Forum Settings
Forums

Anime as Motivation for Fitness/Workout: Thoughts?

New
Jan 28, 2017 3:05 PM

Nov 2011
I'm genuinely curious because there are harsh judgments and an unfortunate stigma towards anime fans, whether regarding personal appearance or assumed personalities.

Like every sub-culture, there is some truth.
But as individuals, I do not believe we should confirm to this "status quo".

Just a few brief highlights, in recent years, there have been anime with explicit themes towards self-betterment and fitness such as One Punch Man, Boku no Hero Academia, and Mob Psycho 100 (Body Improvement Club).

It may be assumed that anime & fitness have no hopes for correlation.
I was on that same boat too.

But me personally, I have met more and more like-minded fit geeks not only during my brief time in these forums but through social media.

So I'd like to ask (if you are comfortable sharing):

* Would having more anime focusing on these themes of motivation, perseverance, becoming a better person, etc. inspire you to try fitness? (Doesn't even have to be shounens)

* Besides lack of interest or laziness, do you think you or anime fans in general are turned off to fitness because they feel alone or fear of peer judgment?

* What are your thoughts about anime as motivation for fitness/workout?
Do you use personally anime as fitness motivation?
What can be improved to help promote good health?

Please Note: I know in Japan, extreme cases of overworked salarymen or NEET culture are more prevalent there; so my opinions are based on the perspective of Western culture.
axios1331Jan 28, 2017 3:37 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2017 3:21 PM

Aug 2009
A lot of guys that go to the gym want to get a body like Goku from back when they watched DBZ. Nowadays most anime characters look lanky and weak though, with few exceptions like some shonen series.

In general from my interactions with the anime community most people are not into working out or fitness. They have a negative impression of people that workout and are really prejudiced and judgmental just categorize them as dumb jocks or meatheads.

Most people do not watch anime for inspiration, but for escapism. They want to escape from their own mundane lives and watch something relaxing or fap to cute anime girls to distract them for their own problems. They don't really care about using anime to learn something, better themselves, or for inspiration.
LoneWolfJan 28, 2017 3:30 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 28, 2017 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
LoneWolf said:
A lot of guys that go to the gym want to get a body like Goku from back when they watched DBZ. Nowadays most anime characters look lanky and weak though, with few exceptions like some shonen series.

In general from my interactions with the anime community most people are not into working out or fitness. They have a negative impression of people that workout and are really prejudiced and judgmental just categorize them as dumb jocks or meatheads.

It's unfortunate that even among our own community that people can be so judgmental or cynical.

I admit I'm on that nostalgia boat with DBZ.
But it seems there are plenty of anime that touch on the topic of training or more generally about motivation, perseverance, never giving up.

Based on that logic, maybe there are people who simply ignore or reject these themes.

If that's the case, then it's pretty sad because the whole notion of " fit anime geeks "really is expanding among this generation.
But I guess that is "to each his or her own"
Jan 28, 2017 4:47 PM

Jul 2015
You should do sit-ups or a plank during the crappy ED theme songs and that's about it
Jan 28, 2017 5:08 PM

Aug 2009
axios1331 said:
LoneWolf said:

It's unfortunate that even among our own community that people can be so judgmental or cynical.

I admit I'm on that nostalgia boat with DBZ.
But it seems there are plenty of anime that touch on the topic of training or more generally about motivation, perseverance, never giving up.

Based on that logic, maybe there are people who simply ignore or reject these themes.

If that's the case, then it's pretty sad because the whole notion of " fit anime geeks "really is expanding among this generation.
But I guess that is "to each his or her own"

Didn't mean to be so negative, its just in general the perception of fitness buffs in the anime community and on these forums specifically is pretty negative. I'm not sure if I would call myself a geek, but I watch a lot of anime and and I work out of a lot and I don't feel like those 2 things necessarily clash with each other, but they don't tend to overlap either.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 28, 2017 5:31 PM

Nov 2013
I'm a bodybuilder myself and I've never used anime as a motivational tool for my fitness. And personally as a bodybuilder, I think motivation is complete bullshit too. Motivation is something that is temporary and doesn't last long at all. You don't need motivation to train, you just need dedication and consistency.

I'll say people that are generally more introverted and therefore more exposed to backdoor media like "anime and manga" tend to stay at home or be part of a niche group of people, which is why they're part of that stigma in the first place. I believe this is why anime fans generally show disinterest in fitness.

Anime and manga as a culture don't promote fitness in the sense that it's an indoor activity that involves you sitting on your ass all day. That being said, sports anime did influence me at a younger age to participate in sports. Those include "eyehsield 21" and "hajime no ippo."
Jan 28, 2017 5:56 PM

Nov 2011
LoneWolf said:

Didn't mean to be so negative, its just in general the perception of fitness buffs in the anime community and on these forums specifically is pretty negative. I'm not sure if I would call myself a geek, but I watch a lot of anime and and I work out of a lot and I don't feel like those 2 things necessarily clash with each other, but they don't tend to overlap either.

I understand that you weren't being too negative. You've seen how the general anime community reacts to fitness or fitness-related topics. I'm trying to understand some reasons for all that negativity, and maybe my rationale was too critical.

I'm just really optimistic that there are people who are doubtful or on the fence, and they can use anime as a source of motivation. Kind of an idealistic notion, but I've experienced and met enough people to have faith in my statement.
axios1331Jan 28, 2017 6:25 PM
Jan 28, 2017 6:21 PM

Apr 2012
The One Punch Man workout is pretty mild, but for someone who has never worked out before. It can be pretty intense. This makes me wonder, though. Did some of my friends who watched Anitore! EX triy to keep up with the girls, or just fap lol xD

No, I don't really use anime as a motivation for my fitness routine. I have some Youtube channels for that.
Jan 28, 2017 6:23 PM

Nov 2011
Burenai said:
I'm a bodybuilder myself and I've never used anime as a motivational tool for my fitness. And personally as a bodybuilder, I think motivation is complete bullshit too. Motivation is something that is temporary and doesn't last long at all. You don't need motivation to train, you just need dedication and consistency.

I'll say people that are generally more introverted and therefore more exposed to backdoor media like "anime and manga" tend to stay at home or be part of a niche group of people, which is why they're part of that stigma in the first place. I believe this is why anime fans generally show disinterest in fitness.

Anime and manga as a culture don't promote fitness in the sense that it's an indoor activity that involves you sitting on your ass all day. That being said, sports anime did influence me at a younger age to participate in sports. Those include "eyehsield 21" and "hajime no ippo."

That's a really good point. Once you've taken the time to train your body and discipline your mindset, it's second nature just to rile up oneself and get in that zone. But I don't think it is COMPLETE BS.

Yes, motivation is fleeting but it's definitely not useless. It's similar to pre-workout. It's not mandatory to have a good workout, but it's a good supplement because it provides a good burst of energy. Wouldn't you agree?

I believe everyone works out for some set of reasons. Some are superficial like looking good; others are for good health or prevention of health risks. But I think you can include anime as a minor or secondary influence.

I understand the two sides of the coin. It does sound silly and delusional to emulate your favorite anime characters or superheroes. However, it is hard to dispute that some of their stories can be relatable.

===
DBZ:
===
Saiyans grow stronger the more they endure physical hardship and have too much pride to give up.

============
My Hero Academia:
============
Just because I am the weakest hero does not mean I have to accept that fact. If I push myself, I can grow stronger.

============
Baki the Grappler:
============
I thought I was the biggest hotshot and the strongest guy around until an encounter showed me how foolish I was. Now, I must humble myself to train both body and mind so that I can gain true strength.

========================
Naruto Shippuden (Rock Lee):
========================
Just because I am outclassed by other ninja who have cooler and better powers does not mean I will just give up. I will train hard and grow stronger not only to prove my worth but to get stronger.

Frankly, I can list a bunch more. Point being, I think anime can be used as a tool for inspiration.
Just like a hammer and nail are tools for construction, if there are no actions behind it, then they are useless.

But like you stated, all the motivation may be present but if the person is not wholly committed, then it will all be for waste.

I personally did grab solely onto DBZ for explicit motivation as I trained myself to be disciplined, even to the point that I was exposed to it almost daily. But then, it became second nature and now I urge to go to the gym. Nowadays, anime is used as additional hype especially since I now know there are so much anime with these motivational or training themes.

I am thankful for your opinion because I've seen and talked with both bodybuilders who were influenced by anime and those who weren't. And I kinda understand why you may take motivation out of the equation. But I'm also trying to think about the introverted audience that you mentioned.

Just like sometimes a reality check is needed to understand the errors of our thoughts, maybe if more anime fans were attuned to the aforementioned themes, maybe it will click in their minds.

IDK, maybe that's me being idealistic but it is a thought.
axios1331Jan 28, 2017 6:30 PM
Jan 28, 2017 6:27 PM

Nov 2011
mascarpone said:
The One Punch Man workout is pretty mild, but for someone who has never worked out before. It can be pretty intense. This makes me wonder, though. Did some of my friends who watched Anitore! EX triy to keep up with the girls, or just fap lol xD

No, I don't really use anime as a motivation for my fitness routine. I have some Youtube channels for that.

Oh Anitore EX and its sequel XX. Yeah, that gets the blood pumping for a different reason for some people. Nice try animators.
Jan 28, 2017 6:30 PM

Oct 2010
I like to listen to Senjougahara and Kaiki sing to me while I do cardio. Does that count?
Otherwise, no. I don't use anime as a motivation for my fitness routine. I don't see anything wrong with someone using an anime character as their motivation, though. Whatever floats your boat is fine.

I could see there being a "cute girls doing cute things" anime about fitness.
Jan 28, 2017 6:33 PM

Dec 2013
There's nothing wrong with anime being a motivational spark as long as you understand it's fleeting. At the end of the day, you better love the activity for its own sake and have dogged determination/dedication, because when the spark fizzles that's what keeps the fire alive. Any athlete who is worth their salt knows this, otherwise they're frauds.
Jan 28, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
Usagi said:
I like to listen to Senjougahara and Kaiki sing to me while I do cardio. Does that count?
Otherwise, no. I don't use anime as a motivation for my fitness routine. I don't see anything wrong with someone using an anime character as their motivation, though. Whatever floats your boat is fine.

I could see there being a "cute girls doing cute things" anime about fitness.

That DEFINITELY counts.

I don't know if there is a measure of "you know you are a hardcore anime fan if ... " -- sounds kinda funny to be honest.

But yes, I have a bunch of anime songs (both Japanese and English covers) that really rile me up during cardio or a good gym session.

I think that is one advantage that "normal" gym-goers do not have because we can listen to all the mainstream music but then we anime fans also have a HUGE database of songs that can hype us because of the high BPM, the lyrics that are sung, or even the emotions or memories associated with the music.

With respect to the MOE approach to fitness, I imagine there has been one or it will eventually happen. Recent attempts though have catered to a more "immature" aduience aka distractingly lewd.
Jan 28, 2017 6:43 PM

Dec 2016
I watch anime while working out on the treadmill. Does that count? Usually it keeps my eyes off the time and I wont gauge myself so strictly, so I end up running high speeds by accident for longer times. Its good shit.
Jan 28, 2017 6:45 PM

Nov 2011
Gymkata said:
There's nothing wrong with anime being a motivational spark as long as you understand it's fleeting. At the end of the day, you better love the activity for its own sake and have dogged determination/dedication, because when the spark fizzles that's what keeps the fire alive. Any athlete who is worth their salt knows this, otherwise they're frauds.

That's a really good point, Gymkata.

If you are still curious, I responded to a previous post (Burenai) about my outlook. But essentially, I do agree it's all about having the strong mental foundation and finding that love for it.

And just like most activities, it takes time.

I'm curious if some anime fans on the fence about engaging in fitness cave in so quickly because of the time factor, impatience, or personal doubt.

I used to be on the fence myself, but I explained a bit of my experience for the post with Burenai.
Jan 28, 2017 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
Saediss said:
I watch anime while working out on the treadmill. Does that count? Usually it keeps my eyes off the time and I wont gauge myself so strictly, so I end up running high speeds by accident for longer times. Its good shit.

That ALSO DEFINITELY COUNTS ^__^

Yet another example that I think anime fans on the fence or discouraged about fitness fail to realize.

Yes, it's great to grow stronger. Sure, if you can do more cardio or work out more with a nice regiment, then you are better off. But everyone has to start off somewhere.

I've seen plenty of people bring their phone or iPad and watch a show.
So when it comes to anime, it's very easy to become engrossed with what we watch.

I used to watch LOTS of anime while I did cardio, whether on the elliptical or on the treadmill.
Made it really easy to pass the time and do 60 minute sessions.

One motivational quote that I keep in my backpocket is:
" When doing cardio or working out, it does not matter what you do or how long. You will still be doing more than the average couch potato who stays at home all day"

Unfortunately, I cannot do that anymore because I'm putting higher expectations on myself and strive to push myself.

I can barely manage to concentrate on my phone anymore since I ramp up the treadmill to 4.0+ MPH at 15% incline. Gotta focus more on holding on for dear life sometimes XD
Jan 28, 2017 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
Cucky said:
Not anymore but when I was a teenager I was motivated to train by Rock Lee's character from Naruto. I spent the entire Christmas holidays lifting weights and doing a shit ton of cardio lol. Lee 's character was based off Bruce Lee so not a bad inspiration all in all. There was one Rock Lee amv in particular that would really pump me up but it got taken down some time ago. I imagine it had a similar effect on me that the first Rocky training montage did for young people watching it when it first came out.

Rock Lee is definitely a great source of inspiration. Mentioned him in an earlier post actually.
I just started watching Shippuden again since I left that on standby for years.

And he's has some motivational speeches early in the series.

And funny enough you mention Rocky, I still feel the same intense motivation except it involves Vegeta.
axios1331Jan 28, 2017 7:12 PM
Jan 29, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
Anime for me is purely a form of entertainment, I get no real motivation or anything from it except a few rare cases.
I don't really look for big sources of motivation since I'm already motivated/determined enough most of the time, but if I want to get in the groove for breaking(=breakdancing for the common folk) I just put on some good beats before my sessions.Of course I keep the beats going throughout the whole session because it's borderline necessary for any form of dance, so it's not really there for motivational purposes.

Before anyone complains that breaking doesn't count as working out, I think this kind of stuff is more than passable as a workout too, and this is just scraping the surface:
Jan 29, 2017 2:39 AM

Jun 2011
yeah, anime always motivates me to exercise my right arm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 29, 2017 2:41 AM

Sep 2016
* Would having more anime focusing on these themes of motivation, perseverance, becoming a better person, etc. inspire you to try fitness? (Doesn't even have to be shounens)
If the anime makes doing all this interesting then it will definitely inspire and motivate people to do it. I had a friend who started playing volleyball and training for it because of Haikyuu

* Besides lack of interest or laziness, do you think you or anime fans in general are turned off to fitness because they feel alone or fear of peer judgment?
Idk about that.. I dont think that its got anything to do with anime in general

* What are your thoughts about anime as motivation for fitness/workout? If it works then definitely go for it
Do you use personally anime as fitness motivation? Not really
What can be improved to help promote good health? As i said above, make doing these tasks interesting and fun and maybe someone will be motivated to do it
Jan 29, 2017 2:44 AM

Jun 2015
I go to the gym and once there was a guy with a frieza shirt so I walked to him and said yo you watch anime?

And he was with a group of 5-7 people and they all said yes. And they were big asf.

we started talking about anime :3, but all they have seen were stupid shounens (all of them were shounens)
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jan 29, 2017 3:10 AM

May 2015
The stereotype comes from people who don't know how to have fun. So they make fun of anime fans because otherwise, their life might be really depressing.

It has nothing to do with truth, and all because these people don't know how to blast Skrillex. They need to go to a party.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 29, 2017 3:12 AM

Jun 2015
axios1331 said:

Nah. I watch anime for entertainment, not inspiration or escapism

No. Laziness is a big thing. Also the notion of it not being worth the effort.

I don't care if people use it as a motivation, it's their choice.
Jan 29, 2017 6:57 AM

Dec 2016
axios1331 said:
Saediss said:

That ALSO DEFINITELY COUNTS ^__^

Yet another example that I think anime fans on the fence or discouraged about fitness fail to realize.

Yes, it's great to grow stronger. Sure, if you can do more cardio or work out more with a nice regiment, then you are better off. But everyone has to start off somewhere.

I've seen plenty of people bring their phone or iPad and watch a show.
So when it comes to anime, it's very easy to become engrossed with what we watch.

I used to watch LOTS of anime while I did cardio, whether on the elliptical or on the treadmill.
Made it really easy to pass the time and do 60 minute sessions.

One motivational quote that I keep in my backpocket is:
" When doing cardio or working out, it does not matter what you do or how long. You will still be doing more than the average couch potato who stays at home all day"

Unfortunately, I cannot do that anymore because I'm putting higher expectations on myself and strive to push myself.

I can barely manage to concentrate on my phone anymore since I ramp up the treadmill to 4.0+ MPH at 15% incline. Gotta focus more on holding on for dear life sometimes XD

When I used to workout for soccer in college we used to have TV's everywhere in the gym. None of us actually liked working out on the bike or the treadmill for 2 hours a day so we needed to watch something in the meantime.

That being said, I learned recently that its not a very good idea to watch comedy animes while on the treadmill.
Jan 29, 2017 7:12 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015

It already kinda did.. But I love those anime, they're the only ones I can watch obsessively these days ;
- Salarayman Kintarou
- One Punch Man
- Boku no Hero Academia
- Great Teacher Onizuka
- Gokusen
Shounen anime is an internal part of my life :3. And I should be doing at least arms musculation whenever I watch anime, but the plan got retarded because some guy in my class told me (and he works up a bit) that by randomly carrying some 1,5L water bottle it would take me 6 years to have same arms as him... So waiting for buying dumbbels or finding a workaround.

Can you fear peer judgement by doing something that is worldly seen as improvement? Just keep it secret a few months if you fear it.
At the contrary I think anime fans in general don't give a fuck, especially girls. And if you feel alone you might find friendships in getting into an hobby? Says the guy who does lonely hobby and doesn't have much friend.

Anime is already excellent to promote good health, because it's the main reason for me to stay alive. It stopped depression some times for me at least.
And of course it's a good motivation for working-out but I don't get you, when I wanted to do arm fitness it was during the time I watch anime, I could not do it without watching anime. That's why I don't do anything else than arms, because I want to watch anime comfortably meanwhile..

Jan 29, 2017 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Erg_Orgy said:

Before anyone complains that breaking doesn't count as working out....

I find that interesting. There have been people who think that? Because when I think about breaking, I imagine dancers should have a strong core and have a good degree of flexibility.
Jan 29, 2017 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Narmy said:
yeah, anime always motivates me to exercise my right arm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anitore EX and its sequel would be perfect to get you in the mood for some "exercise" LOL
Jan 29, 2017 6:14 PM

Nov 2011
Yato1111 said:
If the anime makes doing all this interesting then it will definitely inspire and motivate people to do it. I had a friend who started playing volleyball and training for it because of Haikyuu

It's cool when you see anime make a difference because of curiosity or earnest interest. Definitely not common but awesome when it does happen.
Jan 29, 2017 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
Takamura-sama said:
I go to the gym and once there was a guy with a frieza shirt so I walked to him and said yo you watch anime?

And he was with a group of 5-7 people and they all said yes. And they were big asf.

we started talking about anime :3, but all they have seen were stupid shounens (all of them were shounens)

Well, to each his or her own. But it's great to see more active geeky gym-goers. I think I have 10+ workout gear that includes DBZ, Kingdom Hearts, and Zelda. And the collection continues to grow.

Even in anime, our community has our niches. I would be biased if I said shounens weren't awesome, but there are SOOO many sub-genres if they expanded their horizons.

I laughed hard when I watched Space Dandy.
And shed several tears from Clannad: After Story.
And cringed at the violence and trauma from the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series.

All I can say is that those guys were missing out.
But hey, they are still anime fans so that's still a plus.
Jan 29, 2017 6:25 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
The stereotype comes from people who don't know how to have fun. So they make fun of anime fans because otherwise, their life might be really depressing.

It has nothing to do with truth, and all because these people don't know how to blast Skrillex. They need to go to a party.

That's an interesting point. Just another form of bullying to make others feel bad.
That's why I like the concept of a FIT or BUFF GEEK.

Screw fitting into stereotypes - why can't we have a balance or a new hybrid?
At first, it seems like a great thought.

But after 1.5 years of my personal training and becoming an active advocate to the concept of a FIT GEEK, it's no longer a far-fetched dream. Talked to and met enough people to know that it is becoming an awesome movement for both veteran anime fans and those introduced to the anime culture.
Jan 29, 2017 6:28 PM

Nov 2011
Saediss said:

When I used to workout for soccer in college we used to have TV's everywhere in the gym. None of us actually liked working out on the bike or the treadmill for 2 hours a day so we needed to watch something in the meantime.

That being said, I learned recently that its not a very good idea to watch comedy animes while on the treadmill.

It makes logical sense especially when you have no control over the TVs.
Regarding comedy animes, that had me laugh because that is a fact.

At least from my experience, typically it made me lose my breathing pace from laughing.
Jan 29, 2017 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
Lolsebca said:

It already kinda did.. But I love those anime, they're the only ones I can watch obsessively these days ;
- Salarayman Kintarou
- One Punch Man
- Boku no Hero Academia
- Great Teacher Onizuka
- Gokusen
Shounen anime is an internal part of my life :3. And I should be doing at least arms musculation whenever I watch anime, but the plan got retarded because some guy in my class told me (and he works up a bit) that by randomly carrying some 1,5L water bottle it would take me 6 years to have same arms as him... So waiting for buying dumbbels or finding a workaround.

Can you fear peer judgement by doing something that is worldly seen as improvement? Just keep it secret a few months if you fear it.
At the contrary I think anime fans in general don't give a fuck, especially girls. And if you feel alone you might find friendships in getting into an hobby? Says the guy who does lonely hobby and doesn't have much friend.

Anime is already excellent to promote good health, because it's the main reason for me to stay alive. It stopped depression some times for me at least.
And of course it's a good motivation for working-out but I don't get you, when I wanted to do arm fitness it was during the time I watch anime, I could not do it without watching anime. That's why I don't do anything else than arms, because I want to watch anime comfortably meanwhile..

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
I actually watched all those anime minus Gokusen (which I just added to my MAL ^_^ )
And if you need some references for more shounen, I really think you would like BAKI THE GRAPPLER.

On another point, I don't think you should have listened to that guy unless you had an additional opinion.
Mine would be having a balance for all body parts and you can isolate a muscle group for more focus.

But I don't see working out your arms to be detrimental.
If you are trying to bulk up, then you gotta adjust your diet and/or take protein supplements.

And as stupid as it sounds at face value, I actually made a lot of online friends through social media because of this topic - the idea of ANIME & FITNESS as well as the advent of FIT GEEKS.

The difference is that these are real people showing off their progress and posting really geeky but motivational content. And I have had the opportunity to talk with them about their own training. And all of us agree that working out is a lot more fun when you know that there is a growing community of FIT GEEKS.

One last point.
I completely agree with you. Working out can be therapeautic. It releases stress and allows people to combat depression because they are fighting against their doubts to rise above and ascend.

Though, if you insist on watching anime and work out your arms, I do have one unorthodox suggestion.
* Go on a treadmill or elliptical.
* Set it to a comfortable speed that does not require you to hold onto the machine.
* Set your phone on the platform (all cardio machines should have one)
* Set your Anime to be Watched
* Grab Lower Weight Dumbbells and work out 150% on reps while you do cardio for whatever time you like.
Jan 30, 2017 1:06 AM

May 2015
axios1331 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That's an interesting point. Just another form of bullying to make others feel bad.

But after 1.5 years of my personal training and becoming an active advocate to the concept of a FIT GEEK, it's no longer a far-fetched dream. Talked to and met enough people to know that it is becoming an awesome movement for both veteran anime fans and those introduced to the anime culture.

Go to your local anime convnentions and you'll find a lot of skinny dudes who don't need to work out to look good. The extremely obese people only appear on the internet, where irony morons like Filthy Frank spread it to get views. Remember, if you saw a picture of a fat anime fan on the internet it MUST MEAN ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT.
Jan 30, 2017 5:33 AM

Jun 2016
axios1331 said:
Erg_Orgy said:

Before anyone complains that breaking doesn't count as working out....

I find that interesting. There have been people who think that? Because when I think about breaking, I imagine dancers should have a strong core and have a good degree of flexibility.

Unfortunately there are some folks like that, but it's mostly just a bunch of knuckleheads who don't classify anything as working out unless it involves pumping hundreds of kilos at a gym.
Personally, I look at it as a dynamic form of art with a whiff of exercise/workout to it.
Jan 30, 2017 9:36 AM

Sep 2014
As a man who loves anime who has worked out in the past and just started working out again. Stories like gurren lagann and my hero academia (stories about boys who push themselves to further better themselves into men) definitely give me a bit of extra inspiration for the gym. Although their stories are not the reason for working out, they certainly add that little icing on the cake.

axios1331 said:

But after 1.5 years of my personal training and becoming an active advocate to the concept of a FIT GEEK, it's no longer a far-fetched dream. Talked to and met enough people to know that it is becoming an awesome movement for both veteran anime fans and those introduced to the anime.

I thought I was one of the only people that thought that way. I love anime but I dislike how societies image of anime geeks is unfit, socially awkward people. One reason I work out is to prove that anime geeks can be fit, decent looking, and cool to talk to as well. Glad to hear there are more people like that :D
2fasttJan 30, 2017 2:43 PM
Jan 30, 2017 10:58 AM

Oct 2015
How better-looking than me anime characters can be is a motivation among other for fitness
Jan 30, 2017 11:01 AM

Dec 2016
I have to admit, shows like Yowamushi Pedal, and long riders actually do inspire me to get off my butt, and get on my bike.
Jan 30, 2017 1:37 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:

Go to your local anime convnentions and you'll find a lot of skinny dudes who don't need to work out to look good. The extremely obese people only appear on the internet, where irony morons like Filthy Frank spread it to get views. Remember, if you saw a picture of a fat anime fan on the internet it MUST MEAN ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT.

That is true indeed. With the advent of fast technology, it also means it doesn't take too long to spread ridiculous rumors. And unfortunately, there are way too many people quick to judge and assume.

I love the saying " Never assume because you will only make an a** out of " u " and " me ""

And Filthy Frank. Oh the cringe. Simultaneously laughed and cringed watching his weeaboo video, and I only saw it because of Noble (Lost Pause).
Jan 30, 2017 1:42 PM

Nov 2011
2fastt said:

One reason I work out is to prove that anime geeks can be fit, decent looking, and cool to talk to as well. Glad to hear there are more people like that :D

AYYYEEE!! It is always exciting when you find more like-minded friends especially when it comes to both anime + fitness.

Gurren Lagann + My Hero Academia are excellent examples too.

Row Row Fight the Power used to be my jam for the longest time before the One Punch Man cover came along and set me into overdrive!
Jan 30, 2017 1:58 PM

Nov 2011
Nyarlathothep said:
How better-looking than me anime characters can be is a motivation among other for fitness

I agree to some extent.
I guess it is because the way you put " better-looking than me".

As long as we are not too engrossed in their looks or physiques, then these characters can definitely be seen as motivational figures.

My thought is just because it is in a fantasy setting or these slender guys are too "bishie" (bishounen) -- speaking from a male perspective
-- doesn't mean that their physique is not attainable.

I guess it is a matter of exposure.
Obviously, the more shounen action anime you watch, the more likely you will see those themes of training + improving yourself.

But there are definitely some non-shounens that still touch on the theme or boosting self-confidence through improving oneself or finding inspiration to never give up.
Jan 30, 2017 2:04 PM

Nov 2011
Cbr_Star said:
I have to admit, shows like Yowamushi Pedal, and long riders actually do inspire me to get off my butt, and get on my bike.

That's awesome!

I know someone shared a different experience here with a friend getting into volleyball after watching Haikyuu.

I've seen some gifs from the anime, and I can see the hype inspired for biking.
It's not my cup of tea, but it does look good.
Jan 30, 2017 2:13 PM

Sep 2012
I kind of have, there's folder on my phone with muscly looking anime guys. My thought process is like "those guys look cool" which leads into "I want get into better shape."
Jan 30, 2017 2:58 PM

Nov 2011
Dillan- said:
I kind of have, there's folder on my phone with muscly looking anime guys. My thought process is like "those guys look cool" which leads into "I want get into better shape."

That's a logical thought process.

I have a large collection myself that I find from anime I've watched so that I can edit for gym-related topics on my social media -- getting the pump, bulking, powering up (pre-workout), etc.

Just remember though. It's one thing to appreciate something. But if it inspires you or you really want to turn that thought into reality, then the next step is action.

Just food for thought. (^_^)b
Jan 30, 2017 3:06 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
Your avatar already says it all, OP.
Any boy that watched dragonball was admiring those muscle guys fighting each other and how overpowered they are.

Yessir!

But I was thoroughly surprised when I became a young adult how it can impact my fitness outlook as well as this millenial generation.

I thought I would be an outlier if I primarily used DBZ as my fitness model and motivation. But if you do a quick google search for "DBZ workout gear" or "DBZ fitness", there is an ABUNDANCE nowadays!

DBZ and a lot of shounens really do a good job at portraying realistic themes considering the fantastical natures of their shows -- never giving up, having pride in one's accomplishments, training to better yourself, the consequences of quitting.

But shounen is a genre, and not everyone is into it.
But I know there are plenty of other genres that touch upon these themes.

We got some slice of life, comedy, and obviously sports anime.
And newer anime are becoming more explicit in these themes.

Guess it's just my idealistic optimism, but I have made more like-minded friends over the past 1.5 years because of this "anime & fitness" lifestyle, so I know this hybrid concept is not far-fetched......just very slow and gradual.
Jan 31, 2017 12:33 AM

May 2015
axios1331 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That is true indeed. With the advent of fast technology, it also means it doesn't take too long to spread ridiculous rumors. And unfortunately, there are way too many people quick to judge and assume.

I love the saying " Never assume because you will only make an a** out of " u " and " me ""

And Filthy Frank. Oh the cringe. Simultaneously laughed and cringed watching his weeaboo video, and I only saw it because of Noble (Lost Pause).

Nothing to laugh at in his video. He's a sorry man whose inability to not be ironic means he will never, ever know the meaning of 'fun'. That's okay. Some of us write great philosophy. Others connect to the sounds of Skrillex. The scum of the earth go on YouTube and be like 'I'M IRONIC RIGHT RIGHT?!".
Jan 31, 2017 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
axios1331 said:

It may be assumed that anime & fitness have no hopes for correlation.
I was on that same boat too.

I lift because Physiques inspire me, not the actions of a person.

I also lift so that I can cosplay eventually. I'm pretty good right now but I'm nowhere near fighting characters so I still got a ways to go.

axios1331 said:

From my knowledge, most people who are Fit dudes and are into Anime, it usually revolves around less about fitness and more about sports. Every fit guy i know goes ape shit over Kuroko no Basket (I have yet to watch it) and pretty much any sports anime now. Either that, or OLDer series such as DBZ.

I literally went to Boston Pizza last weekend and me and the server who you could tell lifts, were talking on and on about Haikyuu. I was at a convention, and the guy out of the blue went "Hey you guys going to that convention over there? Do you know where I can find a kaio ken T-Shirt from DBZ." He then started to gush about KnB and Haikyuu. The dude was as stereotypical Italian Douche as you can get.

That of course is just one of many examples. My Supervisor from my previous job was also fit, and we constantly talked about Berserk, Basilisk, F/Z, F/S N UBW and plent others. We constantly talked about the shit we watched while working out.

From my personal knowledge though, if you want to see more fit people get into anime, it's the sports stuff. If you want people to get fit CAUSE of anime you are barking up the wrong tree.

It isn't that you gotta get fit because the anime inspires you, it's the characters. I never wanted to get Fit because a character was fit. I got fit because of the characters I loved who were fit and I wanted to cosplay them.

axios1331 said:

Uhhh, no they are just lazy. Any fit person will tell you that if you are actively trying at the gym, and not a fucking lazy dick who spends 10 minutes between sets, but actually trying. There is no peer judgement there, and more than not they are all friendly. I've spotted and been spotted by people who look like they came out of a competition and none of them ever talked down to me for lifting less, working out less or anything. I only ever heard them talk shit about people who disrespect the gym.

The easiest way, obviously, is to go with friends. I know it's hard to start the process alone, however eventually it will become such a routine that even if you started with friends, you will go alone and barely think twice. The only thing on your mind is the next set and how many reps.

But my best advice is this. Some people may look down on you, they are dicks and shouldn't be given any thought. Most people won't though.

axios1331 said:

I use it as motivation to be fit to be like characters I love. I never say Mob Psycho and went "DAMN THEY WORKING OUT, I GOTTA WORK OUT." I did however see Garou Tight black long sleeve shirt and go "Holy fuck dem back muscles, I gotta try harder"

Physique inspires me, not the action.
Jan 31, 2017 8:09 AM

Nov 2011
TheUnknownMerc said:

From my knowledge, most people who are Fit dudes and are into Anime, it usually revolves around less about fitness and more about sports

That's actually very interesting especially after sharing some of your experience. I must be an outlier then, cuz I never got into sports anime.

I don't know if it is because some sports anime can go bonkers with the exaggerated or dramatic actions or because some are prevalent with "bishie" boys aka beautiful men.

Not counting anime that consider fighting as a sport, the closest thing was Ping Pong the Animation but that was a very realistic portrayal despite the flash art-style.

Nevertheless, from this forum, it would be safe to assume that if it wasn't characters in sports anime that inspired people, it was definitely SHOUNEN action anime.

TheUnknownMerc said:

From my personal knowledge though, if you want to see more fit people get into anime, it's the sports stuff. If you want people to get fit CAUSE of anime you are barking up the wrong tree.

That's a good point even if it is from the perspective from a fit person. My interest is from the perspective of anime fans who want to get fit.

I spoke about it in more detail to my response with Burenai (post #9), but I do not think it is far-fetched to say that people can be inspired by anime characters to get fit.

Honestly, these characters (especially in shounen or sports) are representations of really profound themes: Overcoming Struggles, Strength through Training, Knowing When to Take Pride in Oneself and When to Be Humble, etc.

I even labeled a few anime (DBZ, My Hero Academia, Baki the Grappler, Naruto Shippuden), but that list can easily be expanded.

Nevertheless, I can see why this approach is still difficult.
The key to fitness is not only being consistent and having a disciplined mindset and regiment but also a love for fitness.

But to develop this, it does take time, patience, and perseverance.
Using anime as inspiration is just that extra boost to that foundation just like pre-workout is that extra energy boost for a gym session.

Obviously, the end goal is good health and physique but I'm still optimistic because I am talking with and seeing more people on my social media with the same mindset that anime characters and the themes associated with them can serve as a significant boost to their already developing or strong foundation.
Jan 31, 2017 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
the only reason I'd think of it as a motivational factor is that everyone is naturally pretty or at least toned, skinny, or fit, and I'm a fucking potato.
Jan 31, 2017 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:

Nothing to laugh at in his video. He's a sorry man whose inability to not be ironic means he will never, ever know the meaning of 'fun'. That's okay. Some of us write great philosophy. Others connect to the sounds of Skrillex. The scum of the earth go on YouTube and be like 'I'M IRONIC RIGHT RIGHT?!".

The internet does attract a lot of unsavory characters, and his antics make him cringeworthy memes. We'll just leave it at that.
Jan 31, 2017 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
clandestine said:
the only reason I'd think of it as a motivational factor is that everyone is naturally pretty or at least toned, skinny, or fit, and I'm a fucking potato.

Check out my response with Burenai at post #9. It is true that many characters have great or even idealized figures, but I think there is more to it. It's the character traits or themes that they represent. Listed a couple anime as an example but can easily label more.

With regards to a potato, you don't have to be a couch potato!
You can be an active potato!

Watch some anime while doing light cardio. That could be a good start.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » dominant or submissive or switch aka your pecking order or position on the social hierarchy

deg - Yesterday

19 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
11 minutes ago

» What do you think about celebrity culture?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

15 by Commit_Crime »»
1 hour ago

» everyone thinks my cat is fat

reysune - Sep 29

28 by RainyEvenings »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KiraraFan - May 7

235 by GinIonSui »»
2 hours ago

» What was your first scary youtube video (IE: Your first screamer, the first freaky video)

TheBlockernator - 11 hours ago

5 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.