Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2017 10:14 PM
Aug 2014
Darek said:
Konakana said:

Hm, actually, if you're talking about forum avatars, then yes. I've realized that I've used this a long time ago. It fits the description.

Yeah that was you afterall XD I just remembered wine maybe because the picture was much smaller or maybe it was just memory failing me, anyways I am certain it was you now, now sorry but that would be enough of derailing that thread from its original purpose.

Lol, but then again, theres this guy who uses the exact same picture, has LoGH and Aria in favorites and has around double my mean score.
Jan 18, 2017 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Konakana said:
Darek said:

Yeah that was you afterall XD I just remembered wine maybe because the picture was much smaller or maybe it was just memory failing me, anyways I am certain it was you now, now sorry but that would be enough of derailing that thread from its original purpose.

Lol, but then again, theres this guy who uses the exact same picture, has LoGH and Aria in favorites and has around double my mean score.

ehm... It may be him... fuck my head hurts now XD nvm it's not like it matters in the end XD

Or maybe it was both of you, both of those shows are quite common in many people's favorites.
Jan 18, 2017 10:34 PM

Nov 2014
anonypc said:
Personally I don't rate with the average in mind at all. It's more like there have been a good amount of times where I really thought a show was going to be bad, but personally ended up really liking it. I Read the synopsis, looked at the art/animation, read some reviews/opinions, and chose anything that caught my interest. Sometime it's just going in blind and giving things a shot. Ofc the exact opposite can be said. I don't really care what my average ends up being but the fact that it's a little bit below 5 is just.. it is what it is LOL anything else would be a fabrication of my honest feelings.

I do see what you mean. Rating everything without keeping an average in my mind actually got me an average of about 4.4 to 4.8. My problem with that is actually surprisingly similar to people who rate with an average of 7.5 to 7.9, not enough spread to better represent myself.

I don't purposefully fix any anime to certain scores, but simply tweak the individual categories in my rating system to get a good spread, which then just happens to give me my current average.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 18, 2017 10:37 PM

Dec 2013
The 4-6 region becomes increasingly useful as your completed list grows. It's a natural consequence of personal taste refinement, score deflation due to greater exposure, and the necessity of keeping your upper band relevant. I don't even bother scoring anymore--I keep what I liked and scrap the rest.
DouluoJan 18, 2017 10:44 PM
Jan 18, 2017 10:38 PM

Jan 2017
I'm mostly a 7-8 giver myself. I guess I'm soft with my reviews, granted most of the anime listed on my list are just sequels to previous anime series.
Jan 18, 2017 10:51 PM

Aug 2013
The ratings exist for 2 reasons.
1. The Site's Anime rankings
2. To create an addition way to sort your list: personal enjoyment

Giving 5s (or 9s) to everything defeats the purpose to both of those.
Those guys are simply doing it wrong, OP.
Jan 18, 2017 11:50 PM

Aug 2016
wow its crazy how triggered some people are in here
Jan 19, 2017 1:15 AM

Nov 2009
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Lately I've come across a few users - mostly those who've completed 600 anime or more - who seem to rate the majority of the anime they watch a 5 or less. But... why? Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky? I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please, but that doesn't mean I haven't dropped any anime or don't have any anime I don't like.

No, it's not about age and amount of anime for most of these people. They just adopt a completely warped sense of what matters.
For example, recently I got this:
Brb said:
setting/worldbuilding and the consistency>>>characters>>>>>animation=enjoyment>>>>>>>>soundtrack

Meaning that Brb doesn't care if he actually enjoys the show, only if it has good worldbuilding and respects its rules!
At least, when giving the show a score.
I find it really weird, and I have about the same amount of age and experience as him.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I value enjoyment above all. It's the integral characteristic that is comprised of a lot of little things, and it takes a lot of skill and luck to make it work. It's good when an anime takes a "hard mode" and tries to make an enjoyable story while being constrained by a well-written setting, characters and so on - it makes me enjoy the result more. But if an anime takes a hard mode, overestimates itself and fails - it's not good.
I find that a lot of "elitists" do not appreciate that. They lock themselves into seeing the small details, and don't see the big picture. To me, it's "not seeing a forest behind the trees" level of wrong.
Jan 19, 2017 1:28 AM

Nov 2014
flannan said:
Maybe it's just my opinion, but I value enjoyment above all. It's the integral characteristic that is comprised of a lot of little things, and it takes a lot of skill and luck to make it work. It's good when an anime takes a "hard mode" and tries to make an enjoyable story while being constrained by a well-written setting, characters and so on - it makes me enjoy the result more. But if an anime takes a hard mode, overestimates itself and fails - it's not good.
I find that a lot of "elitists" do not appreciate that. They lock themselves into seeing the small details, and don't see the big picture. To me, it's "not seeing a forest behind the trees" level of wrong.

I understand the value of enjoyment/entertainment, it's really important for me as well. But I don't place it above all. Maybe perhaps my concept of entertainment value is slightly different from yours. The problem when rating by pure entertainment is that I am entertained by very cheap entertainment, be it gag comedy or just having really loud quirky characters. How would you rate a show that is reliant on cheap entertainment? Maybe you don't think of it as entertaining, but rather annoying.

For me, if I really were to say what would be the most important in a show, I'd say characters. Characters are everything in a show. Be it how they drive the plot forward, meaningful character placements or having interesting relationships between characters, just doing these alone would make me enjoy a series that much more.

But I do agree with that assessment of "elitists" who seemingly just obsess over small details. They take themselves and anime way too seriously, the way they act over something meant to entertain them is disgraceful.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 2:07 AM

Jun 2015
flannan said:

No, it's not about age and amount of anime for most of these people. They just adopt a completely warped sense of what matters.
Brb said:
setting/worldbuilding and the consistency>>>characters>>>>>animation=enjoyment>>>>>>>>soundtrack

Meaning that Brb doesn't care if he actually enjoys the show, only if it has good worldbuilding and respects its rules!
I find it really weird, and I have about the same amount of age and experience as him.

Sigh. First. Why are you so trigerred. It's not as if my scoring affects you in any big way.

Second, this
Gexis said:
The more anime you watch the easier it is to pick out flaws in a show.

If animation and everything doesn't matter, you might as well give every title the same animation level as KonosubaS2.
Jan 19, 2017 2:30 AM

Jul 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
because people:
can't just not watch what they don't like

That'd be a valid point if liking a show was a matter of genre and not quality. I dunno why everyone on MAL is so obsessed with genres (omg I hate mecha/ecchi/romance!), I don't give a fuck about genres and will gladly watch a romance aimed at girls if I think it'll be better than something else. So how do you stick to good anime? Is there a "quality" genre/tag I missed here on MAL? Because so far I had good and bad surprises with anime, and never went into an anime hoping to find a turd.

Shoryu said:
I had no clue Nana would end the way it did for instance, loose ends and all that summarises into a "lol, read the manga l0ser!!" despite the many high ratings it gets.

Still salty? :3
DeathkoJan 19, 2017 2:36 AM
Jan 19, 2017 2:36 AM

Nov 2014
I'd understand questioning people who only give 1s and 2s, but I don't understand what's wrong with 5s? Even "not watching anime you don't enjoy" argument doesn't work here. I'll use myself as an example:
If I watch anime that I enjoyed but other than that was weak I'll give it 6. If it has specials and/or OVAs they usually get same or lower score (higher is very rare) - more often lower than same, which means this anime as a whole sets my average score closer to 5.

While my scores are generally high, they changed a lot since I began watching anime. As mentioned few times earlier in this thread, the more stuff you watch, the more you notice flaws in things you previously considered flawless.
JustAnotherShiroJan 19, 2017 2:39 AM
Jan 19, 2017 2:40 AM

Sep 2012
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Lately I've come across a few users - mostly those who've completed 600 anime or more - who seem to rate the majority of the anime they watch a 5 or less. But... why? Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical/nitpicky? I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please, but that doesn't mean I haven't dropped any anime or don't have any anime I don't like.

in my case, i stop watching anime from time to time, to try and refresh myself, with video games ( most of my video games are anime based -.- such as naruto, OP and other ) watching anime for long time make me lose the feeling of enjoyment as some anime are repetitive i guess.. so i try to mix it out with watching 10 episode of anime a day and video games for 5 hour, and watching TV series...

i hardly go below 7/10... and don't forget one point which is some people have a different method of rating.. you will find some users mentioning how they rate in their user profile...

Jan 19, 2017 2:45 AM

Nov 2009
Brb said:
flannan said:

Sigh. First. Why are you so trigerred. It's not as if my scoring affects you in any big way.

Second, this
Gexis said:
The more anime you watch the easier it is to pick out flaws in a show.

If animation and everything doesn't matter, you might as well give every title the same animation level as KonosubaS2.

I'm not triggered (it does not cause me psychological harm). Just overthinking (spending more mental effort than it's worth, and probably making the wrong conclusions).

I haven't seen KonoSuba S2, and I suspect I will not actually notice this drop in animation quality everybody's been complaining about when I get to it, but yes, good-quality components are important. But it's the way that they mesh into a coherent whole, strengthening and supporting each other, that makes a show good.
Jan 19, 2017 3:04 AM

Nov 2016
I sometimes give beloved anime a low score but the lowest I gave something that still has a ton of fans is SAO. Maybe I'm a little too fair with my ratings but then again I have only seen 65 things.
Jan 19, 2017 3:25 AM

Feb 2008
I suppose I am one of the people you are describing, but my experience has been that other people care far more about the scores than I actually do. It's a number - an arbitrary and vague suggestion of how much value a person thought something had. It's ridiculous how offended some people can get just because you rate on average lower than they do, or gave an anime they like a score that isn't nine or ten. It fills with them with rage. And I don't get it.

In my case, everything starts at a five and either gains or loses points from there. That's why a five is a pass - not a terrible score - and is why my scores tend to be low on average. It's as simple as that. There's no deep meaning to it.

Perhaps I can be a bit picky and am not as easily pleased as most, but I enjoy a good anime just as much as anyone else. Heck, I would argue I feel more strongly about my favourite anime precisely because they are rare. If you love every single thing you watch, then nothing is special. And that's a far more depressing situation than being critical.
Jan 19, 2017 3:32 AM

Oct 2011
Why not?

While I try to appreciate and enjoy shows as much as I can, it is always certain that there will always be flaws and I try to weigh how much does that affect my overall opinion towards a certain show. Even with that said, I believe I rate more generously than most people who also like being critical. There can be exceptions, albeit bias is always the root of it.

Being critical can lead to various interesting discussions among people. It can be fun.
Jan 19, 2017 3:39 AM

Apr 2011
Konakana said:
I've reached a better understanding of what I do and do not like I guess.

If you do, why torture yourself with anime you dislike? Your mean score appears to be a 2,92 — how on earth are you still watching anime if it is such an eyesore to you?

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jan 19, 2017 3:52 AM

Jul 2015
@Veronin How dare you rate Utena 5/10!? AD was right all along, elitists do exist!!!

no but seriously
1/you might want to take a look at Area 88 OVA, it's a great one, subbed on Youtube
and
2/Why are all the people with relatable taste giving Black Rock Shooter TV a 2/10? @___@
Jan 19, 2017 4:06 AM

Sep 2014
Clebardman said:

2/Why are all the people with relatable taste giving Black Rock Shooter TV a 2/10? @___@

I would ask the exact opposite
what part of the anime was good or fun
it was a huge pain for me to watch, the main character was outright obnoxious and the heavy drama out of nothing wasn't helping either
among the worst anime I watched, at least in terms of fun

@ot
it's not like being critical to anime means you don't enjoy watching it
I enjoy majority of anime I watch, and even the 4/10s are passable as a way to kill time
it's people who look down on medium, trashtalk it and the fanbase that I find weird
Jan 19, 2017 4:14 AM

Jun 2016
I change my ratings often. More I see, easier I can notice flaws. Comparing to other series in same genre, my ability to give rating anime deserves becomes better.

I haven't seen much but I can say, when you watch more, you'll find out something you thought was 8/10 was really 6/10. Your standards will get higher.
Jan 19, 2017 4:22 AM

Oct 2016
Well for me i see that people like some numbers :D
for me 10-9-8-7 and 4 only
I dont know why but i dont rate animes with other numbers :D

my opinion
Soo We live to watch anime or We watch anime to live?
Jan 19, 2017 4:25 AM

Apr 2015
Psychedelicate said:
I'm really just curious.

Because I set my 5 as average and 6 means I already have positive remarks on the show. It also allows me to touch the bottom and top better. Like, I don't want to group MHA with Big Order and SAO or Madoka with LoGH or Kokoro connect OVA.
Jan 19, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2009
I have completed over 700 anime in a period of over 10 years.
I use MAL's provided descriptions instead of numbers for my rating.
A typical anime I've finished is "good" or "7". Anime authors are good at what they're doing, and I'm good at choosing anime to my liking. It helps that I'm the stereotypical creepy otaku who lusts after anime girls.
An anime that stand out from the crowd is 8, a step better.
9-10 is for really awesome stuff. Despite what people say about differentiating the top scores, I do not have any meaningful system that sets apart my 9s and 10s.
An anime that is 6 is a step below average. Maybe it's just boring. Maybe the authors are bad at what they're doing, like this season's Kemono Friends.
5 is for shows I would call mediocre. Like Naruto - too damn long and boring with all those fillers. This amount of fun should have been concentrated into ~52 episodes.
1-4 is for shows that I actually hate and consider to be a fundamentally bad idea. Like Angel Core, which is horrible.
And I don't rate anime that are obviously outside my taste. I just drop them.

Pixywing7 said:
Rating a show based on enjoyment alone defeats the purpose of rating anything or discussing anything as the arguments degrade to "I liked it" as a valid response to a long list of plot issues and inconsistencies.

A lot of people here seem to think enjoyment is something deeply personal, ineffable and non-transferable. I disagree.

0) My impression is that enjoyment is easily transferable within groups of roughly similar people. In many cases, "people who like genre X" is a good enough group to transfer enjoyment, but in general, you need finer categories.

1) Many shows are liked by a lot of people or disliked by a lot of people. I think it's the inherent property of the show rather than complete accident.

2) In fact, I do think that enjoyment and attractiveness to different groups is something understandable and to a certain extent controllable. (But the competition is high)

3) Hence, it is possible to us fans to understand what makes a specific anime enjoyable, describe it, and even explain what other kinds of fans will enjoy it.

4) I consider point 3) to be a very desirable goal.

Tyrel said:
Now that I've seen all the good shows, I compare a lot of stuff to my 8-10 scores and say "Is it equal or better than this".

Well, I'm often watching new anime now, and yes, I think they're often equal or better than the old ones.

Ryuuzahar said:
If I score them all 10/10 (which means not being critical at all), that just means you like everything and have no taste. Also, it means you don't look their quality compare to others as a medium. It's like you are implying Mona Lisa painting is the same with a random drawing by a random kid when you don't have standards in artwork.

In practice, I mostly see people claiming that Black Square is better than a random painting by a random Renaissance painter.

Deknijff said:
because if you aren't critical at all that means you have no standards what so ever
which is why we devolved from great shows like Kanon 2006 and Clannad After Story to lower things like Angel Beats and Charlotte
same with how we had the greatness of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya but now sadly have the disappointment that is Kimi no Na wa
I could also bring up how with every iteration of Rie Kugimiya’s Shana clone there was a drop of quality so to say
but I still do like all 5 of those series

Is is so facepalm-worthy bad comparison that I have no idea where to begin counter-arguing. Maybe I should start by mentioning Rewrite, that surely does not lose to Kanon?

Psychedelicate said:
NotRadiant said:
Threads like these make me want turn my scores down to one.

I'm sorry for making this thread, then? :/

Don't be sorry. It's a nice thread where we can say things we wanted to say for a while.
flannanJan 19, 2017 4:34 AM
Jan 19, 2017 4:40 AM

Mar 2016
>Does age and the amount of anime you watch make you more critical?

I do believe some people are like this.
But I don't think it's usually the case.
There are many other reasons for why a person having a low mean score
And I think it lies in how people see the "rating" differently.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jan 19, 2017 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
@Imaishi hmmm, from what I remember, characters were quite believable and stayed away from dere types and stuff like that, it looked and sounded really good, the battles were sexy, it had a stoner-friendly level of symbolism, a weird book for children, the girls were all lez for each other. I'll skip over the overdone drama argument, because honestly I like it, it's everywhere in my favs, and anime isn't exactly know for it's high quality drama anyway.

But the thing that surprise me the most is that the TV show tends to be rated lower than the nonsensical OVA.

@GreenSoap Are you talking about bullet-time boobs?
*looks at his list*
Yes, you are. :3
DeathkoJan 19, 2017 5:04 AM
Jan 19, 2017 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
I have a pretty strong suspension of disbelief when it comes to media in general. It's mostly when it becomes so stupid that the disbelief breaks that I rate show poorly.
Jan 19, 2017 5:16 AM

Mar 2015
it's depend... if you goes to 3000 breaker people club (not those proclaimed elite), you can see lot of those people it self is diverse ..

https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70007
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 19, 2017 5:16 AM

Feb 2016
Ckan said:
The more you see, the more helpful a discriminatory system becomes.

What does that mean?

OT: Using the rating system the way it was intended to be used isnt the same as being 'critical/nitpicky'. Scoring every anime high doesnt make you enjoy anything more either, it just makes the scale smaller.
Ratings have no value on their own, they are for comparisons sake.

@EcchiLordMamster Yes, for many people most media suck cause obviously, everyone has different taste and the amount of crap in every medium will be different for every person. The good ones are the reason why its worth getting through the rest.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 19, 2017 5:25 AM

Apr 2016
Suspectedly said:
wow its crazy how triggered some people are in here
This is the reality of internet forums in general.
Jan 19, 2017 5:43 AM

Mar 2015
Been watching anime for over 8 years now. Mean score over 7.
I guess some people just can't get good at picking their next anime.
I know what I like and always ask myself "What kind of show do I want to watch right now?". Usually I end up with something I'll enjoy (or at least, not dislike).
Jan 19, 2017 5:50 AM

May 2016
Most anime are shit, and people who watched a lot, found more shitty anime because they see more. Thinking about it, if the average is 5, that means a half is good anime and a half is bad anime.
Jan 19, 2017 5:51 AM

Dec 2015
Generally the more you see the more you think the average old shows you've watched are not that much, and you change your ratings. the majority ofthe shows have to respond to that superb minority of pure quality

imo
Jan 19, 2017 6:08 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
people are always saying shit like "i thought this show was gonna be this, but isn't" even when its fucking obvious its not gonna be lol

especially the "i can't take the show seriously" crowd... as if most anime are serious

You might want to look at my list before you say I take anime way too seriously...

Some people are way too harsh on anime that aren't meant to be taken seriously, that I agree. But by no means is it not justified for me to give the anime like Tokyo Ghoul, Akame ga Kill and SAO who take themselves seriously and failed.

i never said YOU took anime too seriously....

AKAME GA KILL?

SERIOUS?...

is that a joke lol? to me, Akame ga kill is like Rush Hour, Machete or Deadpool... howtf was that show trying to be serious? just because an anime has drama, death, gore, blood, violence.. etc, doesn't mean the anime is supposed to be serious

@Shoryu

for example... if an anime has a cover that looks all too familiar.. like a cover with a bunch of girls with giant boobs.. the anime probably isn't serious...

but then again, i don't consider most anime serious... i don't consider anything with "comedy" serious

serious to me is like Pyscho pass, an anime you're clearly never supposed to laugh at

@SeasonADay

you clearly didn't see me going off on the forums during fall season

why does ecchi/harem have to have comedy?

whotf is paying attention to the principle when theres girls in skimpy outfits running around? lol

Clebardman said:

That'd be a valid point if liking a show was a matter of genre and not quality. I dunno why everyone on MAL is so obsessed with genres (omg I hate mecha/ecchi/romance!), I don't give a fuck about genres and will gladly watch a romance aimed at girls if I think it'll be better than something else. So how do you stick to good anime? Is there a "quality" genre/tag I missed here on MAL? Because so far I had good and bad surprises with anime, and never went into an anime hoping to find a turd.

what the hell are you talking about lol? i didn't say anything about the genre...

you can realize you don't like an anime in the middle of watching it, and then you can stop watching. i didn't say anything about going into an anime knowing you won't like it

and besides... genre is just a tag, japan doesn't even use the ecchi genre for example, cause ecchi doesn't mean the same thing in japan... and not every western site labels anime the same anyway. i've definitely seen anime labeled ecchi that definitely aren't and vise versa

Dishonest said:

@EcchiLordMamster Yes, for many people most media suck cause obviously, everyone has different taste and the amount of crap in every medium will be different for every person. The good ones are the reason why its worth getting through the rest.

theres no point imo to go through 50 of something i don't like just to find 5 that i do, which is definitely how some ppl are coming off
Jan 19, 2017 6:11 AM

Jul 2015
@EcchiLordMamster You weren't clear at all, and even now it doesn't make more sense. How can I tell if a show is going to be shitty all along, and why wouldn't I be allowed to rate it low even if I dropped it? TBH dropping or not dropping wouldn't change shit to anyone's mean score, except maybe if they dropped before seeing 1/5 of the episodes...
Jan 19, 2017 6:49 AM

Oct 2013
flannan said:
Deknijff said:
because if you aren't critical at all that means you have no standards what so ever
which is why we devolved from great shows like Kanon 2006 and Clannad After Story to lower things like Angel Beats and Charlotte
same with how we had the greatness of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya but now sadly have the disappointment that is Kimi no Na wa
I could also bring up how with every iteration of Rie Kugimiya’s Shana clone there was a drop of quality so to say
but I still do like all 5 of those series
Is is so facepalm-worthy bad comparison that I have no idea where to begin counter-arguing. Maybe I should start by mentioning Rewrite, that surely does not lose to Kanon?
Im sorry flannan but I have not watched Rewrite yet so your argument will fall on deaf ears so to say
Jan 19, 2017 6:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Clebardman said:
@EcchiLordMamster You weren't clear at all, and even now it doesn't make more sense. How can I tell if a show is going to be shitty all along, and why wouldn't I be allowed to rate it low even if I dropped it? TBH dropping or not dropping wouldn't change shit to anyone's mean score, except maybe if they dropped before seeing 1/5 of the episodes...

i wouldn't rate a show that i dropped... but then again, i don't really rate anime

still... there are PLENTY of people who watch anime they know they know won't like, you can tell much of the time just from the cover what kind of anime its going to be, its not like we get curveballs that often

amiwrong?
Jan 19, 2017 6:50 AM

Oct 2016
Well...

We are on the topic of being hypercritical so let me say something critical. I went into K-on episode 1 just now expecting a band like Girls Dead Monster from Angel Beats! and what I received was a complete abomination of cute girls doing cute things and nothing else racked up with cliches.

Is Love life even good either?
If anyone can recommend me something actually good that would be great.

Edit: TBH I haven't even finished episode 1 yet I just had a cringe attack. Now I'm going to try and finish it after cringing so badly. Wish me luck.
Yuki_NonakaJan 19, 2017 6:53 AM
Jan 19, 2017 6:53 AM

Nov 2009
EcchiLordMamster said:
Clebardman said:

i wouldn't rate a show that i dropped... but then again, i don't really rate anime

still... there are PLENTY of people who watch anime they know they know won't like, you can tell much of the time just from the cover what kind of anime its going to be, its not like we get curveballs that often

amiwrong?

We don't get curveballs often, but dark horse anime with meaningless descriptions appear regularly.
But if somebody is mostly watching these dark horse anime, it's an unhealthy state, if you ask me.

SeasonADay said:
Well...

We are on the topic of being hypercritical so let me say something critical. I went into K-on episode 1 just now expecting a band like Girls Dead Monster from Angel Beats! and what I received was a complete abomination of cute girls doing cute things and nothing else racked up with cliches.

Edit: TBH I haven't even finished episode 1 yet I just had a cringe attack. Now I'm going to try and finish it after cringing so badly. Wish me luck.

Well, K-ON is exactly Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. In fact, it's one of the shows that gave the genre its recent popularity.
You might want to see Symphogear instead. Or one of the old shows about musicians like BECK.
flannanJan 19, 2017 6:57 AM
Jan 19, 2017 6:57 AM

Feb 2015
Its actually really simple. Everything starts to look the same after completing a certain number of shows because you start noticing clichés and tropes more often. Another reason one could rate low is simply because he has high standards.

LouM said:
people with mean score 5 or lower make it hard for me to understand why they watch anime or they watch anime and take the minus over the plus of the anime.. or they try to play it smart by shitting on many shows

My mean score is below 5 because of all the experimental shorts and recap episodes I've seen.
ReinhardJan 19, 2017 7:01 AM
Jan 19, 2017 7:03 AM

Nov 2009
KaiserReinhard said:
Its actually really simple. Everything starts to look the same after completing a certain number of shows because you start noticing clichés and tropes more often.

On the other hand, once one has really seen a lot, one starts to notice and appreciate the new things instead. All shows are full of tropes - what new things can a new show bring?
Jan 19, 2017 7:05 AM

Oct 2016
flannan said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

amiwrong?

We don't get curveballs often, but dark horse anime with meaningless descriptions appear regularly.
But if somebody is mostly watching these dark horse anime, it's an unhealthy state, if you ask me.

SeasonADay said:
Well...

Well, K-ON is exactly Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. In fact, it's one of the shows that gave the genre its recent popularity.
You might want to see Symphogear instead. Or one of the old shows about musicians like BECK.

The ending theme was better then the entire episode. Saw beck, it is about a guy don't care for that. Saw nana alao.
Jan 19, 2017 7:07 AM

Jul 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

amiwrong?

Well, I'd say you're mostly wrong :x. Madoka, RahXephon and Eureka 7 are often suggested to NGE fans, I disliked them all. Texhnolyze? Didn't like it. S;G, praised by many as the most serious and well-written piece of sci-fi ever? Blearg, and I'm a sci-fi enthusiast.

I don't enjoy anime because of the script or setting or how it looks on screenshot. I highly doubt I'd enjoy a NGE remake if the story was butchered and the characters uninteresting, even if it had great visuals - oh wait...
Jan 19, 2017 7:10 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
flannan said:

think about the people who say shit like "this anime wasn't labeled ecchi, why is there so much ecchi in this anime?"

ecchi isn't a label for anime in japan... its a western usage.. if theres lots of ecchi in an anime and it wasn't labeled that, then blame the person who didn't label it

so the people who are "surprised" when an anime throws ecchi at them, need to learn to expect that from anime as its just another old and common trope

but yea as far as the curveball thing goes, i mean, they wouldn't be curveball anime if they were a regular thing

Clebardman said:

Well, I'd say you're mostly wrong :x. Madoka, RahXephon and Eureka 7 are often suggested to NGE fans, I disliked them all. Texhnolyze? Didn't like it. S;G, praised by many as the most serious and well-written piece of sci-fi ever? Blearg, and I'm a sci-fi enthusiast.

I don't enjoy anime because of the script or setting or how it looks on screenshot. I highly doubt I'd enjoy a NGE remake if the story was butchered and the characters uninteresting, even if it had great visuals - oh wait...

this definitive sounds to me like a personal issue... as you definitely seem like one of the ones whos expectations/turn off level are even higher than the average critic
Jan 19, 2017 7:15 AM

Jul 2014
Psychedelicate said:
I haven't watched that much anime at all, so I'm generally easy to please

You just answered your own question.

NEXT!
Jan 19, 2017 7:16 AM

May 2015
Why not be critical? Do you want to be fed trash? Being critical is how we improve.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 19, 2017 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
@EcchiLordMamster *shrugs* why does it feel so useless to talk to you? All you do is make assumptions about others.

This isn't about expectations. I rate obscure turds with 3k viewers just like I'd rate a popular anime that turns out to be shitty. This whole stupid back and forth is just you being unable to back up your opinion in any way and making up things because it's easier than admitting that people can indeed look for something else in anime than you do.
Jan 19, 2017 7:37 AM

Oct 2016
Clebardman said:
@EcchiLordMamster *shrugs* why does it feel so useless to talk to you? All you do is make assumptions about others.

This isn't about expectations. I rate obscure turds with 3k viewers just like I'd rate a popular anime that turns out to be shitty. This whole stupid back and forth is just you being unable to back up your opinion in any way and making up things because it's easier than admitting that people can indeed look for something else in anime than you do.

100% correct. He thinks he is the @#$%.
Jan 19, 2017 7:42 AM

Oct 2016
flannan said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

amiwrong?

SeasonADay said:
Well...

Senki Zesshou Symphogear is the weirdiest anime I have started watching. It is official. 1/19/2017 Worse then K-on. Were you joking?
Jan 19, 2017 7:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Clebardman said:

i definitely said you "SEEM LIKE" the type of person that i mentioned... the irony is real...

you're making the assumption that i am making an assumption about you... when i clealry said its just how you come off

nice try though...
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

54 by NubFix »»
11 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

60 by mizukasa »»
27 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

2 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 7 hours ago

5 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

18 by billybub »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.