Forum Settings
Forums

Do people who have a mean score of over 7 like everything they watch?

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »
Aug 1, 2016 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
my 10/10 are the animes that I had the most enjoyment with
my 1/10 are the animes that I had the least enjoyment with

1/10 for me =/= to a 1/10 quality wise
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2016 11:44 AM
Nov 2010
Maybe they rate things like school where 7/10 is average and everything below is failing
Aug 1, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2015
No, it means they have a different scoring system.
Aug 1, 2016 11:48 AM

Apr 2014
have you ever thought that maybe they only decide to watch what they actually like?

if they didnt like something they just delete and dont bother with it.
Aug 1, 2016 11:49 AM

Apr 2014
Maybe I know how to find anime that correlates to my taste.
Aug 1, 2016 11:59 AM

Feb 2016
I dont understand people who rate completed anime 5 or below. They not only watch it, but they endure it to the end, lol. I would like smth like a 0.5 additional scaling cause i have trouble giving the credit they deserve to some anime but w/e.
also ↓↓↓

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 1, 2016 12:31 PM
Jul 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:
Well, if you rate on enjoyment then your mean score is going to be high

^This. My mean score is close to 9, but as you said, i rate on enjoyment. I dont watch animes to analyze everything. I watch to laugh, enjoy and similar. So is that.

And i will watch animes in similar taste as my completed or watching list. So i always check the recommendations list for that.
Aug 1, 2016 12:39 PM
Dec 2014
Ofcourse, I do my research. Not going to watch something I already know I'm not going to like.

Life is short-too much anime.

I started watching Kimagure Orange Road, that's 50 episodes. It'll take 1-2 months.
Aug 1, 2016 12:48 PM
Jun 2008
It just means that I know what I'm watching and I'm avoiding what I would consider shit. Ofc I can't do that always so I have some score below 7.
My score system works like this:
10 - awesome
9 - great
8 - very good
7 - good
6 - so-so
5 - meh
4 - bad
below - wtf is that...
The mal score system should be 1-5 IMO, it would be much better than current system.
Aug 1, 2016 12:50 PM

Feb 2016
Sm0q said:
It just means that I know what I'm watching and I'm avoiding what I would consider shit. Ofc I can't do that always so I have some score below 7.
10 - awesome
9 - great
8 - very good
7 - good
6 - so-so
5 - meh
4 - bad
below - wtf is that...
The mal score system should be 1-5 IMO, it would be much better than current system.

Why do you think so? Its more accurate this way i guess?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 1, 2016 12:59 PM

Sep 2014
Your mean score tells nothing about how much anime you like.
Aug 1, 2016 12:59 PM
Jun 2008
Dishonest said:
Sm0q said:
10 - awesome
9 - great
8 - very good
7 - good
6 - so-so
5 - meh
4 - bad
below - wtf is that...

Why do you think so? Its more accurate this way i guess?

Because most ppl don't see the difference between 1-5 (like I lumped together 1-3). This way the system is inflated by high scores that otherwise wouldn't be so high and ppl would tend to use full scale of scores more often.
Aug 1, 2016 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Funny enough, just reading the synopsis or seeing the picture on the MAL page is a way for me to tell if I'll like an anime or not.
Another reason why I don't drop anime.
But yes, most anime that I watch is something that I like, some more than others ofcourse.
Obviously there's a few that don't work like that, Seikon no Qwaser for example I've given a 3 and 4 respectively.

I'd say the 7 score is like average to me and 6 was mostly boring.
I've got a rating system on my profile.

My mean score is 7.63
Aug 1, 2016 1:08 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
im still never going to understand people who finish/start shows they don't like/know they won't like

yes, i do like pretty much all anime i watch, thats why i watch it..... lol
Aug 1, 2016 1:11 PM

May 2009
To be honest, I think a 1-10 system is not very fitting rating system for TV shows in general. A 1-5 rating system would help do away with ambiguity that comes with series rated close together. Not to mention that casual viewers would grasp a 1-5 system better than a 1-10.

Most of MAL are casual watchers. They watch for entertainment and could really care less about the animation quality or few plot holes in the story. Was watch the show a good experience? Yes? Well its an 8-9-10! They also most likely only watch shows that were recommended to them from friends with similar taste, so a majority of the shows completed with start with a positive bias anyways.

Compare that to the people who spend a couple hours on a single episode and pick out everything that leaves an impression on them. I feel that "reviewers" watch the show with a rating system in mind, to post and discuss with other "reviewers". They know their own rating system and how a particular show falls within that system. They also keep up with a list of currently airing Anime and end up with a couple good and a couple bad experiences at the end of the season.

Half of the stuff on my list I've watched years ago when it was "just for fun", resulting in many shows 6+ and almost none below. Now I tend to watch stuff objectively and pick up on the things I do and don't like in Anime. Pretty sure I would change half of my scores if I rewatched them today.
Aug 1, 2016 1:15 PM

Feb 2016
Animes i enjoy i always rate 8+ also to give it more attention.

Aug 1, 2016 1:17 PM

Jul 2015
I do not. I just avoid watching stuff I know I will not like beforehand.
Which is why my mean score is a 7.8 :please
With yaoi manga that is harder though,, which is why my mean score is a 5.8 with Manga.
Aug 1, 2016 1:17 PM
Jun 2008
Mamster-P said:
im still never going to understand people who finish/start shows they don't like/know they won't like

Usually ppl dont know they wont like it... and besides - almost every show can turn bad... even if it starts good.
Aug 1, 2016 1:23 PM

Nov 2015
I'm kinda new to the genre so I may not have a lot of references, that's why I tedn to rate high I guess. I usually enjoy rewatching shows, and it often happens that I am disappointed by a show I looked some time ago and thought it was great.
Also, I watch animes because I like to, so I'm usually satisfied to watch one.

On the other hand, I don't understand people with a low meaning score. It's like they don't like most of the shows they watch, so why do they keep on watching anime and not go to something that they could be more interested in?
Btw, there are probably the answers about my concern in this thread, but I'm a bit too lazy to read a dozen pages.
Aug 1, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2013
No....

I just drop usually whatever I find less than 7 for me
Aug 1, 2016 3:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Sm0q said:
Mamster-P said:

Usually ppl dont know they wont like it... and besides - almost every show can turn bad... even if it starts good.

then they can drop it, its not that difficult to do
Aug 1, 2016 3:39 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:
Mamster-P said:

Saying that even though enough people already gave you thousands of reasons?

like i've said before... if your reaction to a show is just gonna be:

"this was so bad"

"how can anyone like this?"

"this just keeps getting worse"

whytf are you forcing yourself to watch?
Aug 1, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2016
I have a mean score of over 8 currently, I think it's because I'm fairly selective about what I watch; if I watch an episode of a show and I don't think I will like the rest, I just don't add the show to/remove the show from my list. Even though my ratings are entirely arbitrary anyway (I just pick a number based on how much I liked it), I still wouldn't rate a show I hadn't watched in its entirety, and I wouldn't watch a show I didn't enjoy in its entirety, hence, my mean score is probably higher than most.

Also this is just one perspective, there could be loads of reasons why someone has a high mean score.
Aug 1, 2016 11:00 PM

Apr 2014
I have a mean score of under 7, does that mean I don't like what I watch? There's two sides to every coin.

But when my meanscore was briefly over 7, I just wasn't as critical about scoring as I am now, so perhaps my standards have just been raised since I started watching anime. But it's not like I liked everything I saw, it's just that didn't pay attention to the little flaws as much.
Aug 1, 2016 11:01 PM
Feb 2014
I like about 60% of what I watch.

Y'all mad
Aug 1, 2016 11:04 PM
Apr 2016
Ill add my grain of sand here because my mean score is also higer than 7 (tho its going down everytime i remember a bad show i somehow finished).

Its really simple, i try to only watch good anime, so i rate most things with 7 and above. Mostly i only start watching a series if i think it will be worth rating with a 7 or more. Thats it. I still watch bad show sometimes and i rate poorly animes i saw when i was a newby and that now i can see how much they suck.

Of course i drop lost of series, if i rated them only on 2 or 3 episodes my mean score would go down like a crashing rocket. But not only i forget almost all anime i drop, but i dont rate shows i havent finished at less half of them. Tthats what the people with shity mean scores do, watch 1 episode, drop it, and rate it 1 or 2.
Aug 1, 2016 11:26 PM
Apr 2015
I'm sure they're just smart enough to look into an anime before deciding to watch.
Aug 2, 2016 4:28 AM

Nov 2009
Pullman said:
Considering that the scale goes

7 - meh
8 - okay
9 - good
10 - great

an average of below 9 must mean the person has chosen the wrong medium and anime is probably just not for them.

Oh noes! Now I will have to look for a new hobby! and those 125+ days spent on anime were a waste!
Can I re-score my anime so that I can continue watching it?
/sarcasm

Seriously, my mean score is 7.49 right now. I should stop experimenting so much, and look for more great anime to watch, as it's dropping dangerously low.

kamisama751 said:
Mamster-P said:

Saying that even though enough people already gave you thousands of reasons?

No matter how many times those thousands of reasons are said, it doesn't make it easier to understand them.

WillItReachHer said:
Usually the one who have a mean score of 7 and above are the people that are either quite new at anime, which means they had only watch anime that are really highly acclaimed, or the people who are really picky on what to watch.

No, as long as you don't fall into elitism trap, it's fairly easy to find anime that are worth 7 or more. At least at my 700+ titles level.
Sure, anime worth 9-10 are a rarity, but that's why they're called "great". But there is no end to good anime if you do so much as read the tags and the synopsis.
Aug 2, 2016 4:36 AM
Jan 2012
Ah... Aye. In my case, I genuinely just enjoy everything I've watched. I suppose in this regard, I'm fairly easy to please? Even if it only applies to Anime. I'd give you a proper reason, but I only rate based on enjoyment since I don't see much reason to do otherwise.

On the other hand... There are those like my buddy who basically uses the rating system of, '10' For those he finished. Regardless of if he actually enjoyed it or not. '5' For series that he couldn't get through... And then '1' specifically for Clannad and Lucky Star.
Aug 2, 2016 4:40 AM

Mar 2016
Protaku said:
I have a mean score of under 7, does that mean I don't like what I watch? There's two sides to every coin.

But when my meanscore was briefly over 7, I just wasn't as critical about scoring as I am now, so perhaps my standards have just been raised since I started watching anime. But it's not like I liked everything I saw, it's just that didn't pay attention to the little flaws as much.

My english is kinda bad, but i hope every one will understand what im saying. There are always people who have lower mean score then me, now i have 7.19 but for example you Protaku have 6.22. But if we compare our both watched anime and you almost have watched everything i have and your mean score of my watched anime is 7.5 when mine is 7.0. So i guess, for me is that i just try to watch good anime.
Aug 2, 2016 5:13 AM

Nov 2009
Ayon said:
Protaku said:

My english is kinda bad, but i hope every one will understand what im saying. There are always people who have lower mean score then me, now i have 7.19 but for example you Protaku have 6.22. But if we compare our both watched anime and you almost have watched everything i have and your mean score of my watched anime is 7.5 when mine is 7.0. So i guess, for me is that i just try to watch good anime.

Yes, your english is clear enough to understand.
From my and Protaku's list comparison, I have 7.9 (compared to 7.49 overall) in our shared anime, and he has 6.7 (compared to 6.22 overall). So I just rate higher.

From my and yours list comparison, I have 7.8 (compared to 7.49 overall) in our shared anime, and you have 6.8 (compared to 7.19 overall). So our tastes might just not match.
flannanAug 3, 2016 6:24 AM
Aug 2, 2016 6:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:

So you are going to ignore ALL thousands of points people made about why to watch/complete bad shows and bitch forever?
You know, you can actually learn something if you open your mind a bit.

And your new name is uncreative.

maybe i don't find the reasons good enough if you're not a reviewer? idk, am i implying that you're supposed to listen to me? no..... you can do what you want... you're free to watch w/e you want to bitch about it all you want, but that means im free to question your bitching.... that is all.....

i didn't know it was it supposed to be.... lol
Aug 2, 2016 11:21 AM

May 2016
I just get really picky for the ones that I do watch; if it's not at least a 6 out of 10 then it's not really worth my time, and I'd rather not spend it on a bad anime.

Unless I'm drinking, of course.
Aug 2, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2013
Hardly, i just can't be bothered to watch trash anime. In all honesty I will drop any show that is a 5 and below almost immediately. The only exception to low rating is even the quality declined toward the end.

I also can't be bothered watching anime that will be bad. The reason i have such a high average watch rating is because i'm very picky about what i watch and if i watched it past the 1st episode it's going to be at least a 5 or above.
Aug 2, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2016
Basically, I haven't seen enough anime to watch bad ones to bring down my average. :P
Aug 2, 2016 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
People have different ideas of what the numbers mean. I've come to learn that most people don't think of 7 as a good score, even if they don't knowing think of it as average, the way they describe a show with that score is average, or at least what I see as average. So you can't really tell if they like or dislike everything based on that.
Aug 2, 2016 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
I just don't like to lower the score of series I enjoied.

Aug 2, 2016 11:37 AM

Dec 2010
-Stabbed- said:
Okay, now since I've caught your attention;

Do people who have a mean score of over 7 literally like everything they watch? Or is it just that they are so highly empathetic that they even empathise with anime?

I've seen people who literally hand out 10s and I just don't understand, do you like anime that much that you think that all of those shows are the best anime ever?

I'm not patronizing anyone or being angry. Just genuinely curious.

Quoting this since there's a shitload of pages already lol.

To answer your question - no, at least when it comes to me. There are a couple of reasons for that in my case: a) I don't watch many anime shows in general, not as much as I used to because anime has started to interest me less and less hence b) most anime shows I didn't particularly like or that didn't pull me in, I dropped right away or after a few episodes so the anime shows on my list are the ones I really did like (more or less) and so I gave them average, above average or good/very good grades. There are, of course, a few exceptions but in general, that's the reason for my anime shows having the mean score 7 or above 7.
Aug 2, 2016 11:53 AM

Apr 2016
I'm probably one of the people this post is targeted toward so I will give my thought about it. I give a grand majority of the shows I watch a 7 because even though they might not be my favorites, I still have some enjoyment watching them. These shows for me pretty much did the bare minimum to get me to respect them and I also enjoy most things that I watch. I'm not the kind of person that finds one flaw in a show and then reduces its score. It has to irritate me pretty badly for me to start dropping below 7 or 6.

Anything I give a 6 is pretty much like you are on my thin ice level where I enjoyed it just enough to not say I hated it. Anything below 6 is the stuff where I have to ask myself "why did I watch this" or it was an anime that strung me along to something that could have been entertaining but ended up throwing garbage in my face instead (Mayogia).

I also give multiple seasons of the same franchise the same score unless it's a reboot, spin off, or just has been mia for many years so that as a result gives me more 7s than I would have intended.
Aug 2, 2016 12:51 PM

Jul 2016
I think a lot of other fellas explained it well. My rating is based on enjoyment. I'm not the type to criticize anime or talk about plot, character development, etc.
Also, I'm pretty much picky about the anime I watch. I don't just watch anything. I pick anime I think I'm gonna enjoy basically.
Aug 2, 2016 2:39 PM
Feb 2014
Pretty much actually. A lot of the shows that would be lower are the ones I put on hold so I've never completed anything for a while that I didn't actually enjoy in some sense.
Aug 2, 2016 2:54 PM

Dec 2015
The whole idea of this topic is subjective, i have 8+ mean average, but that is mostly because i don't really care too much, if an anime is shit i just don't watch it and don't give it the time to give an actual rating. i'm not a professional reviewer so i just have fun with what i watch, the only anime i remember completing that i gave less than a 5 is Chaos;Head with obvious reasons.

Not all anime have happy endings, but you should always be left with something meaningful after you watch one...
Aug 2, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2015
Willwatch4food said:
My mean score is over 7 because of I don't like a show, I usually don't continue watching it, and it usually isn't worth putting on the drop list. I usually either forget to put it on the list in the first place, or I just delete it. As such, my mean score is made up of shows that I either find average (5-6), pretty good (7-8), or very good (9-10) That doesn't mean I like everything I watch.

^^^This~ Also I am mostly easily amused("¬_¬)
Aug 2, 2016 11:57 PM

Oct 2015
I don't score anime as MAL's score intended to, 5 isn't average and 6 isn't fine for me.
I score looking at average anime score here, and i feel anime rating here pile up in either 7 or 8.

Look at random anime, anime with 7.x, (where x > 0)
means someone give 8 or more, with others give 7.

In top 1000, anime rating still over 7.7, top 2000, still over 7.3

Then i though 7 is average here.
Aug 3, 2016 12:11 AM

Jun 2011
As someone with a mean score of close to 6 I can definitely say.... I wish I could go back to the days when I rated everything above 7. I'm the type of person who literally likes everything would be nice.

However it is very difficult to recommend anime to people who rate everything between 7 and 10. Hard to know if they still like the 7s or not. I do watch a lot of things I don't like because I find them entertaining and I feel like I can learn a lot about myself by learning what I don't like and watching bad anime. I feel like I'm pushing the boundary at this point of what I find acceptable. And I have actually found even things rated in the 5 range that I like.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 3, 2016 12:15 AM

Jun 2011
Dishonest said:
I dont understand people who rate completed anime 5 or below. They not only watch it, but they endure it to the end, lol. I would like smth like a 0.5 additional scaling cause i have trouble giving the credit they deserve to some anime but w/e.
also ↓↓↓
because sometimes it was laughably bad... and it was like such a train wreck I couldn't look away.

I know most of the anime I rated a below five though, I was watching
in anime club. In other words I was forced to watch it because I'm the president. XD or Worse sometimes I'm the director of programming. This means I often have to watch the anime twice.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 3, 2016 12:32 AM

Jun 2016
I guess i have just been watching the right anime. I do have a couple of big dissapointments. But tbh its probably because i havent watched a lot of anime.
Aug 3, 2016 1:17 AM

Jan 2014
For me handing 9's and 10's because I really enjoyed it, that's all thank you.
Aug 3, 2016 1:22 AM

May 2015
I rate soley on enjoyment. Something has to be REALLY bad for me to not enjoy it atleast a little.

Aug 3, 2016 1:32 AM

Jun 2013
If I don't like a show, then I drop it. If I drop it, I don't rate it because I only like to give ratings to things I've seen in full (not all drops are because they are bad, sometimes I just realize I'm not interested). So if I finish something, it means it, at the very least, earned that much courtesy from me, hence why I barely have anything rated below a 6 on my list.

Seems to be the general consensus among those who don't force themselves to finish anime they don't like and don't rate drops.
Pages (12) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 »

More topics from this board

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - 2 hours ago

5 by Kumiveneella »»
10 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - Today

24 by isolated-otaku »»
11 minutes ago

» why the double standard?

Cielord - Today

41 by KayKimii »»
21 minutes ago

» Rate my anime list AND TELL ME WHY

Chanceo - 24 minutes ago

0 by Chanceo »»
24 minutes ago

» Simping for anime/manga creators. Do you do it? How do you do it?

Catalano - May 14

32 by Daviljoe193 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.