Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »
Feb 4, 2015 10:26 PM

Feb 2015
for me if it means doing it like how naruto pips did to shippuden, mixing manga material here and there with all that ridiculously long filler arcs.... i'd rather drop the anime and just read the manga.. i don't particularly dislike TOEI and i have a feeling that we're gonna have another filler arc again post-dressrosa.. i hope it'll be longer than the last one..
-_-
Feb 4, 2015 11:49 PM

Nov 2010
1:1 ratio is gone. Now it's 0.8: on avarage because of Oda's breaks.

I miss 1:1 ratio :(
Feb 5, 2015 12:01 AM

Feb 2015
Dahaka_ said:
1:1 ratio is gone. Now it's 0.8: on avarage because of Oda's breaks.

I miss 1:1 ratio :(

best thing to do is to read the manga and let the anime eps pile up..
-_-
Feb 5, 2015 1:11 AM

Oct 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Do they really have enough cover stories for 20 episodes? I kinda doubt that. And a 1:1 ratio is fine.

They made like 5 episodes each of the first two. The ones after those two were long cover story arcs so they had plenty of material. 1-1 ratio is never fine. One Piece is the perfect example of an anime with bad pacing now due to it.

Toei already told publicly that they didn't do more because they didn't had demand. Take it has you want.

No, they did 2 episodes each for the first two! Nothing like 5. I don't believe they could make more than 2 episodes out of them, maybe some could be extended to 3. Note that even though some of them have more pages, they just detail more the situation.

Buggy had 28 pages!
Cobby had 30 pages!
Feb 5, 2015 1:14 AM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
The pacing is fine and it makes it so 95% of the time I'm watching canon which is rarely bad in my book.

In reality is 86% of the time!

I also think the pacing is fine! It could be better in some parts, but it is still 100% enjoyable how it was.
Feb 5, 2015 2:05 AM

Aug 2007
shoyo10 said:
they did that a couple of times in the past but there must be a reason they chose 1:1..

Because the people who run Toei are morons.

bigivelfhq said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

They made like 5 episodes each of the first two. The ones after those two were long cover story arcs so they had plenty of material. 1-1 ratio is never fine. One Piece is the perfect example of an anime with bad pacing now due to it.

Toei already told publicly that they didn't do more because they didn't had demand. Take it has you want.

No, they did 2 episodes each for the first two! Nothing like 5. I don't believe they could make more than 2 episodes out of them, maybe some could be extended to 3. Note that even though some of them have more pages, they just detail more the situation.

Buggy had 28 pages!
Cobby had 30 pages!

They didn't say that. That was a rumor going around that never had any evidence.
Feb 5, 2015 2:29 AM

Feb 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:

what made u say so??
-_-
Feb 5, 2015 9:58 AM

Aug 2007
shoyo10 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

what made u say so??

Should be pretty obvious.
Feb 5, 2015 10:08 AM

Nov 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
shoyo10 said:

what made u say so??

Well it's not. They've made the best anime in the world, don't see what the problem is.
Feb 5, 2015 12:50 PM

Sep 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Well it's not. They've made the best anime in the world, don't see what the problem is.
IntroverTurtle said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I second this
Feb 5, 2015 2:02 PM

Aug 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Toei made Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
Feb 5, 2015 2:12 PM

Nov 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Toei made Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
Feb 5, 2015 3:39 PM

Feb 2015
hmmm honestly i don't get all this hate people have for toei and op's anime.........
-_-
Feb 5, 2015 6:06 PM

Jan 2014
shoyo10 said:
hmmm honestly i don't get all this hate people have for toei and op's anime.........

It's a 'pick your poison' situation. You either have slowed pacing or numerous fillers. Whichever one you prefer, you'd hate the other.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 23, 2015 12:30 PM

Aug 2007
RedRoseFring said:
shoyo10 said:

It's a 'pick your poison' situation. You either have slowed pacing or numerous fillers. Whichever one you prefer, you'd hate the other.

Numerous fillers is always better than shit pacing of canon. They're probably only doing this because Kai is doing so well. So they'll make a One Piece Kai later. If they do that then I hope they reanimate the earlier episodes since the quality was really bad even from DVD rips.
Apr 10, 2016 5:49 AM

Aug 2012
one piece started as a really nice anime with a very specific goal: to find the 16 devil fruits. problem is they decided that the original goal was not good enough so they transformed 16 fruits into 16 types of fruits and beyond. It started as a good anime and become a unending tele novela. After 100 eps I find no reason to continue watching as nothing actually happened. There where just twists and turns for no reason except to prelongue the agony. The same thing happened to bleach: started as a good anime and turned into a monster. As someone said: if after 500 episode you do not get a resolution...
Apr 11, 2016 1:13 AM

Aug 2012
megabot_SL-1200 said:
Because they either hate the art style or the length. Those are the complaints I see the most anyway.

It could just be that their not epic enough to enjoy such an amazing series.
A pirates life isn't for everyone I suppose.
I would not say One piece has anything to do with a pirate's life. It was not such a glamorous life as it is presented. disease, starvation and an unpredictable sea were constant dangers. And with a few exceptions (which were mostly pirates in the service of a country - i.e. raid only the enemy ships and we will look the other way when we can) they had a short career that ended at the gallows. About buried treasure... almost never happened. Being in permanent danger they would usually spent it fast in places like Port Royale. The ones that had agreements with various countries (especially England) sometimes managed to retire as lords after acquirying domains. But most were hanged anyway.
Apr 26, 2016 11:07 AM

May 2014
The pacing of the show would be my main guess. And the filler sometimes ruins the momentum of the show, like with Enies Lobby.
Apr 26, 2016 11:08 AM

Apr 2016
I don't hate it, really, too strong of a word. I'd probably like it if the art was easier to stare at...

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Apr 30, 2016 4:43 AM

Dec 2014
Best anime I ever watched >:3 The only mainstream anime that I never dropped >:D

Apr 30, 2016 5:52 AM
Apr 2016
You should let them,it won't affect us even though many people hates it,it wont change so lets just watch it and love it..
May 3, 2016 8:47 AM

Jan 2008
Biggest reasons I keep hearing:
1. It's too long.
2. Pacing/Animation is/has become shit.
3. Too many fillers (I never understood this one as people who say this usually love Naruto, Bleach etc)
4. It's a show about treasure, and he still didn't find said treasure after 300+ episodes.
5. It's too random.
6. It's too cartoony.
7. Annoying fans (Literally every mainstream has a shit fanbase. I've never looked at or participated in SnK, SaO, or Naruto discussions, but I bet those rabid fanboys are just as annoying)

I personally admit the animation quality and pacing have taken a deep dive after Enies Lobby ended, and it's become worse after the timeskip, but I still enjoy the anime for the superb voice acting and OST. Currently reading the manga from chapter 1 onwards in an attempt to catch up with the manga.

nightcrawlercyp said:
one piece started as a really nice anime with a very specific goal: to find the 16 devil fruits. problem is they decided that the original goal was not good enough so they transformed 16 fruits into 16 types of fruits and beyond. It started as a good anime and become a unending tele novela. After 100 eps I find no reason to continue watching as nothing actually happened. There where just twists and turns for no reason except to prelongue the agony.

When has One Piece ever been about finding 16 devil fruits? It has been about Luffy's journey to becoming the new pirate king and the adventures and people he meets along the way ever since chapter 1.
May 3, 2016 10:06 AM

Feb 2015
I can't stand most of the characters and I hate the art style
May 3, 2016 10:25 AM

May 2016
Well, I don't know about hating it except for the same old reasons that people don't really like it in the first places (understandable ones at least), but recently, I've been seeing a lot of people getting tired of it. Been seeing and hearing a lot of people complaining about the pacing problems and how very cliche, generic, and predictable it's been and something along the lines of that, and I'm not just hearing this from the people who watch the anime, as I've been seeing this from many people that have been reading the manga as well.

Even when it comes to someone like myself, who is honestly a fan of One Piece and still is, I can definitely understand why people complain about these sorts of things. I've especially been seeing these sorts of complaints with the most recent arcs (Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, and even Zou). It's usually what happens to long-running shonen series or nearly any anime/manga series in general, unless it's mostly or completely episodic like Detective Conan and I think Gintama.
AlliedWishesMay 3, 2016 10:28 AM
May 3, 2016 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
OrangeStar222 said:
Biggest reasons I keep hearing:
1. It's too long.
2. Pacing/Animation is/has become shit.
3. Too many fillers (I never understood this one as people who say this usually love Naruto, Bleach etc)
4. It's a show about treasure, and he still didn't find said treasure after 300+ episodes.
5. It's too random.
6. It's too cartoony.
7. Annoying fans (Literally every mainstream has a shit fanbase. I've never looked at or participated in SnK, SaO, or Naruto discussions, but I bet those rabid fanboys are just as annoying)

I personally admit the animation quality and pacing have taken a deep dive after Enies Lobby ended, and it's become worse after the timeskip, but I still enjoy the anime for the superb voice acting and OST. Currently reading the manga from chapter 1 onwards in an attempt to catch up with the manga.

nightcrawlercyp said:
one piece started as a really nice anime with a very specific goal: to find the 16 devil fruits. problem is they decided that the original goal was not good enough so they transformed 16 fruits into 16 types of fruits and beyond. It started as a good anime and become a unending tele novela. After 100 eps I find no reason to continue watching as nothing actually happened. There where just twists and turns for no reason except to prelongue the agony.

When has One Piece ever been about finding 16 devil fruits? It has been about Luffy's journey to becoming the new pirate king and the adventures and people he meets along the way ever since chapter 1.

Yes but as far as I remember originally there were supposed to be only 16 fruits. If a journey lasts much longer than originally expected is a bust. Ironically the man that searched the Treasure Island well treasure ended up in abject poverty alone and with no satisfaction. Just as in poker sometimes you just have to know when to fold.
May 3, 2016 10:52 AM

Aug 2012
Dahaka_ said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
one piece started as a really nice anime with a very specific goal: to find the 16 devil fruits. problem is they decided that the original goal was not good enough so they transformed 16 fruits into 16 types of fruits and beyond.

I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some of it.
what do you mean? I have a pretty good memory and the first episodes spoke of a bit over 10 fruits. Please do not make me rewatch the series and believe me when I say they did not intend on that many fruits from the start.
May 3, 2016 10:56 AM

Aug 2012
link9us said:
Watamelon said:
People always say that the people who don't like it never gave it a chance. No one ever mentions the people that DID give it a chance and still didn't like it. That's the category I fall into.

You really sort of miss understood me. I am saying that of the majority of OP fans, people that usually make it past a certain point in the show like 20+ or so, stick with it and actually like it. People that hate the show, usually drops it on the first episode or a couple episodes in and never really gives it a chance. I haven't really seen anyone that actually watched a fair amount of episodes and still end up hating it. This show is just addicting in that way i guess where if people manage to watch 20 episodes of it, they usually just keep on watching in the hundreds with no problem.

People are definitely entitled to there opinion and views on the show. Obviously if anyone doesn't like it in the first few episodes, chances are, its not there type of show, plain and simple. I find it kind of annoying how some crazed OP fans try to get others into one piece when in fact there not even shonen fans to begin with.

I also find it funny that people make blatant comments about the show doesn't start getting good untill the 200+ mark No one is going to have the incentive to watch a series that far in before it gets good. People don't understand, if you make a comment like that, your going to turn viewers off.

After watching around 340 episodes my self, i still think that the early arcs are superior to the later ones cause the later arcs are focused on more over used shonen action elements, lots of action and fights and not enough character growth and back stories like the other arcs had. But thats just my opinion. I love good characterization in a show and one piece excels in that department, more then any other shonen series ive seen.
watched around 200 and hated it.
May 3, 2016 11:05 AM

May 2016
Not watching 20 or so episodes or dropping it after the first few is basically not really giving it a chance? That sounds silly to me. It really shouldn't take even over 5 episodes or chapters for people to finally like something. That's giving it way too many chances on something that will likely not be towards someone's liking, imo.
May 3, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2016
because it's boring and it's way too long
May 3, 2016 1:34 PM

Jan 2008
Taylor_Bentley said:
Not watching 20 or so episodes or dropping it after the first few is basically not really giving it a chance? That sounds silly to me. It really shouldn't take even over 5 episodes or chapters for people to finally like something. That's giving it way too many chances on something that will likely not be towards someone's liking, imo.

There's plenty of shows that take a while to get started. Gintama is also one of those shows where the first 30 episodes aren't very good, but it get's better over time. If you still don't like it after the point most people agree it get's good, then the show just isn't for you, and there's nothing bad in that, I dislike plenty of popular shows.
Hell, this isn't even exclusive in anime, the first season, and the first half of season 2 in Game of Thrones is boring af, with too much exposition, added in filler and it does get better later on. Yet, people love it.

nightcrawlercyp said:

nightcrawlercyp said:

No, really, maybe they did in the 4kids dub or something, I'm currently reading the manga, started not too long ago, and nobody ever says there's only 16 devil fruits, or 16 "kinds" of them. Maybe you're remembering a different anime?
May 3, 2016 1:56 PM

May 2016
OrangeStar222 said:
Taylor_Bentley said:

There's plenty of shows that take a while to get started. Gintama is also one of those shows where the first 30 episodes aren't very good, but it get's better over time. If you still don't like it after the point most people agree it get's good, then the show just isn't for you, and there's nothing bad in that, I dislike plenty of popular shows.
Hell, this isn't even exclusive in anime, the first season, and the first half of season 2 in Game of Thrones is boring af, with too much exposition, added in filler and it does get better later on. Yet, people love it.

Gintama? I disagree on that, as it only took me the first two or three episodes for me to get what was going on in there and like the show, along with many other people that felt the same about the show and pretty much most of the anime in general (including One Piece, as a matter of fact), thus the common saying regarding anime to give it at the very least three episodes. I also disagree about The Game of Thrones, as it only took the first four episodes for me to get interested enough to continue watching it.

It doesn't matter if it really gets started or whatever after a certain amount of episodes in someone else's or even most people's view. I, and I'm sure many people as well, do not care if most of the viewers of a specific series agrees that it takes past episode 40 for things to get really good. I shouldn't have to sit through all of that just to get to the what is arguably the good part of a specific series.

In general, it really shouldn't take many episodes for it to get someone's interest to continue watching, else that kind of anime likely won't be worth the time for certain people, and they won't want to deal with it anymore, and that's completely fine. For something to take over ten episodes for, let's say, me myself, to finally get interested whatever I'm watching is just silly to me, whether most agree that I didn't give it a chance or not, and this includes this show (even though it literally only took me the first two chapters of the manga to really get interested in this series). Hell, people can lose interest in something after the very first episode and that's totally fine, despite how silly it may sound to many. That's like saying that I have to keep playing a video game until I beat the first or first two bosses in order for things to really get good for me, when I shouldn't need to do something like that for me to finally want to keep going. First impressions are extremely important. People are severely underestimating that aspect. It can make or break a person's interest to the whole thing that they are experiencing.
May 3, 2016 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
The first impressions thing isn't an absolute but relative measure.

It may be confusing, but when some say that "x" gets really good at episode 40 or 50 or whatever, they mean in relation to the stuff that came before. It doesn't mean that that stuff was bad or that they didn't like it, it simply means that they liked the stuff that came after much better.

I like the latter stuff in One Piece better than the first few episodes, but I still liked the first few episodes as well, even better than entire other series.
One Piece is simply one of those series that tells a long continuous narrative, so it is common sense that the first few episodes just set everything up. An episodic series does not have that luxury, and neither to continuous series that do not last as long.
The same applies to novels, western TV shows, and other forms of media.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 3, 2016 8:45 PM

May 2016
RedRoseFring said:

Disagreed. Again, people are really underestimating this aspect.

It may be confusing, but when some say that "x" gets really good at episode 40 or 50 or whatever, they mean in relation to the stuff that came before. It doesn't mean that that stuff was bad or that they didn't like it, it simply means that they liked the stuff that came after much better.

I already knew that. Even then, that's completely subjective to people, of course, and to recommend certain people to continue watching past a point that even most people find as being the better parts of a series for the people being recommended to finally get interested enough to stick to what they were watching, else "they haven't given it a chance", is just silly to me. The people being recommended otherwise already has given it enough chances to begin with. Can't please everyone from the get-go, and that's totally fine. People will drop something after what they've first experienced was that dull, uninteresting, disappointing, etc., and that's totally fine too. There shouldn't be any reason for literally anyone to keep watching past a certain point in the first place just to finally get interested in whatever they are watching (else they likely already are that interested in the first place since they keep sticking to it anyway). no matter what kind of series they are watching. Like that example you've given, there definitely shouldn't be any reason for anyone to keep watching til' episode 40 or 50 to finally get interested in what they were watching if they weren't before. That's giving it way too many chances by that person, in my eyes, and they really shouldn't need to do that just to stick to it. so if they drop it before that point, it's completely fine and actually normal.

I like the latter stuff in One Piece better than the first few episodes, but I still liked the first few episodes as well, even better than entire other series.
One Piece is simply one of those series that tells a long continuous narrative, so it is common sense that the first few episodes just set everything up.

That's fine if you like the latter of the series while still liking the first few episodes. I get that and I already know that this is a long continuous narrative series (I have no idea why you told me that. As a fan of One Piece, I already know this. Anyone who stuck with One Piece should actually know that already), neither of which was the point as to what I was saying. It doesn't matter what you like when it comes to other people's preferences and/or limits unless they are interested enough to question or want to hear about the sort of thing (It doesn't really matter what anyone else likes when it comes to that, actually), nor does it matter as to what kind of series they are watching is. If what they are initially experiencing is not towards their liking or interest, they will probably drop whatever they were experiencing from the get-go, and again, that's totally fine. It doesn't matter if the first few or even hundreds were just a way of setting up big moments. If any amount of the past episodes watched by the person were not towards they're liking or interest at all, then they will not stick to it. It's as simple as that and it's nothing new when it comes to anything in general that one can experience. Not everything will be good in every viewers' eyes from the get-go, and that's totally fine. To say that they haven't given it a chance just because they haven't watched at or past the point you've recommended is just silly to me, as they already have given it the chance/s. It just wasn't towards their own liking or interest. There isn't anything wrong with that.
AlliedWishesMay 3, 2016 8:49 PM
May 3, 2016 9:19 PM
Aug 2015
It's popular and it sells and still on going up until now, people just jelly.
May 3, 2016 11:22 PM

Sep 2011
BackgroundChara said:
It's popular and it sells and still on going up until now, people just jelly.

While I wouldn't say everyone that 'hates' One Piece falls under this category. I would say a lot of them do. Many fans of other Shonen are eternally mad that OP always tops the charts and is always relevant.
May 4, 2016 12:40 AM

Aug 2012
OrangeStar222 said:
Taylor_Bentley said:

nightcrawlercyp said:

nightcrawlercyp said:

No, really, maybe they did in the 4kids dub or something, I'm currently reading the manga, started not too long ago, and nobody ever says there's only 16 devil fruits, or 16 "kinds" of them. Maybe you're remembering a different anime?

If I remember correctly it was part of a sequence they kept playing the first episodes and when describing the fruits it says it supposed to be 16. I agree that the manga never says that. I have read a bit of the manga also. My point is that just as Gintama, Bleach, Naruto and others once you go past a number of episodes and you keep repeting the same formula over and over usually the series gets stale and people that are not fanatic fans drop it. To be fair there were series that managed to get away with all over 200 eps like Dragon Ball and YuYu Hakusho. But usually if you stretch a show for more than 200 episodes is hard to maintain people interested. As someone said: if after 500+ eps they have not found the treasure then I do not care if they found it anymore especially since they probably wont find it just how it happened with the Kid's supposed additional stash (If you did not know the pirate king is based on Captain Kidd . His treasure was recovered but in an attempt to save his life claimed there was more hidden. this fired people's imagination).
May 4, 2016 12:54 AM

Dec 2012
Taylor_Bentley said:
OrangeStar222 said:

Gintama? I disagree on that, as it only took me the first two or three episodes for me to get what was going on in there and like the show, along with many other people that felt the same about the show and pretty much most of the anime in general (including One Piece, as a matter of fact), thus the common saying regarding anime to give it at the very least three episodes. I also disagree about The Game of Thrones, as it only took the first four episodes for me to get interested enough to continue watching it.

That's a false observation in this community. Very few people liked Gintama from the start, same goes for one piece to a lesser extent.

Also your argument doesn't make sense because you are comparing long running anime to 12-24 episodes. If a story is supposed to go for a long duration of time it only make sense that it will take longer time to build up than a shorter story. So only giving a long running anime 3 episodes for you to like it doesn't make much sense. And some of them change in tone and structure from the early episodes like KHR for example.
May 4, 2016 1:14 AM

May 2016
tsudecimo said:

That's a false observation in this community. Very few people liked Gintama from the start, same goes for one piece to a lesser extent.

Not what I've often seen or read from others, no it didn't take many episodes for people to like either Gintama or One Piece. I've seen so many that just watched either one of them to at least the third or fifth episode to keep getting interested in what was going on to stick with it.

Also your argument doesn't make sense because you are comparing long running anime to 12-24 episodes. If a story is supposed to go for a long duration of time it only make sense that it will take longer time to build up than a shorter story. So only giving a long running anime 3 episodes for you to like it doesn't make much sense. And some of them change in tone and structure from the early episodes like KHR for example.

What are you talking about? I did not compare long running anime like this to just anime that runs only on 12-24 episodes. Nowhere did I say something like that, if I'm not mistaken. I just said that it literally doesn't matter what type of series it is at all. It can a long running continuous narrative like One Piece for all I and I'm very sure many people care. If the first set amount of episodes that the viewer wants to watch is not enough of a viewer's liking, preference, or interest to continue watching, then they will not watch it anymore, and that is completely normal and fine. They shouldn't need to sit through whatever they don't like or are interested in enough to keep sticking to any further if they do not want to. It's as simple as that and it's all that I've been saying this whole time.
May 4, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2016

Are... you just gonna ignore that all in all, all I've just said is that from what I'VE seen and read throughout the years, many people didn't watch many episodes to get interested in either Gintama or One Piece? You know, I'VE, as in MY experiences? I do not care how many you've seen yourself. I already got that anyway, so you didn't even need to show all those links. My point obviously was that there are many people that have been interested in One Piece and Gintama just from the first few episodes to keep sticking to it. And not just those two either, as there are many people who get interested in many anime in general just by the first few episodes, including long running ones such as what I said, Naruto, Detective Conan, etc.

Also, a lot of people that you've linked are still interested enough to at least question as to whether it gets better or not later on. Those are not even the people I'm talking about when it came to this whole thing I was talking about. I was talking about many people that completely DROP or QUIT an anime after just a few episodes and me saying that that's completely fine when it comes to anime, no matter what type of anime they are watching (or even anything, no matter what type of anime or manga or video game or anything). They simply do not like or are interested enough to keep looking, and that's completely fine. I don't know how many times I've repeated this by now.
May 4, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2015
@Taylor_Bentley

..... It kind of surprises me that you have to type all of that just to say what is totally normal (and pretty obvious) for pretty much anyone to do regarding anything. lol

*Yes, it's fine to drop an anime, cartoon, or TV series if the amount of episodes from the beginning that you've wanted to sit through are not towards your own liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a video game if the amount of things you've played through from the beginning of the game was no longer towards you own liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a song you are listening to if the the amount of what you wanted to listen to from the start isn't towards your liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a book, comic, manga, newspaper, or magazine if the amount of what you wanted to read and/or see from the beginning were not towards your liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a movie if the amount of what you've sat through from the beginning is not towards your liking or interest.

I could keep going if I wanted to, but overall, first impressions do matter in pretty much everything, including people. While it's not always right or accurate when basically judging a book by it's cover, it's still completely normal and fine to do so. It's how we are. Literally human nature (or "nature" in general. Animals do this all the time, too. lol). If someone drops this or any anime after the first few episodes, then let them. It's simply what they do not prefer, like, or are interested in themselves. They gave it the chance/s already, and it's simply not what they are suited with. This anime does not appeal to everyone from the start, and not everyone is patient enough to keep going any further; both of which are fine. Leave them be unless they are curious if it actually does get any better later on (which they could just keep watching to find out for themselves anyway, but nonetheless).
May 4, 2016 2:52 PM

Jan 2014
Taylor_Bentley said:
RedRoseFring said:

Disagreed. Again, people are really underestimating this aspect.

Based on what though? Are you saying that people who typically say "it gets better" really thought the first 30 or so episodes they sat through were horrible? A 1-4 on MAL's scale? In most breakdowns of the series, those people usually give a 7 or 8 to the East Blue stuff, so it's not that they think it is bad, but that in relation to latter stuff, the latter stuff is better.

I already knew that. Even then, that's completely subjective to people, of course, and to recommend certain people to continue watching past a point that even most people find as being the better parts of a series for the people being recommended to finally get interested enough to stick to what they were watching, else "they haven't given it a chance", is just silly to me. The people being recommended otherwise already has given it enough chances to begin with. Can't please everyone from the get-go, and that's totally fine. People will drop something after what they've first experienced was that dull, uninteresting, disappointing, etc., and that's totally fine too. There shouldn't be any reason for literally anyone to keep watching past a certain point in the first place just to finally get interested in whatever they are watching (else they likely already are that interested in the first place since they keep sticking to it anyway). no matter what kind of series they are watching. Like that example you've given, there definitely shouldn't be any reason for anyone to keep watching til' episode 40 or 50 to finally get interested in what they were watching if they weren't before. That's giving it way too many chances by that person, in my eyes, and they really shouldn't need to do that just to stick to it. so if they drop it before that point, it's completely fine and actually normal.

I actually agree with that and always thought that the "it gets interesting at episode 'x'" is silly.
One Piece is interesting from episode 1 and there is really nothing else that would keep someone watching for episodes that cover entire other series. It is in many cases just a misunderstanding or issue with conveying their though on the person pleading's part.

I found OP interesting from episode 1, but it is really episode 37 (Arlong Arc) that really hooked me. That is what most people really mean by that plea. The previous stuff is still interesting, but it is when the series reaches that number that the person in question was really sold absolutely. There are many other examples among the highest rated and favourited series.

To say that they haven't given it a chance just because they haven't watched at or past the point you've recommended is just silly to me, as they already have given it the chance/s. It just wasn't towards their own liking or interest. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I'd say that there is still a difference between someone dropping it by 10 episodes saying it was not for them, and someone dropping it at 10 episodes and saying the entire series is crap. It is impossible to make such a judgement for an entire series without seeing a certain amount of it, and I think that is reasonable.
It is unfortunate, but there are many cases where people who have done so would even go out of their way to try and bash the series in the subforum. That tends to be the case when people are saying that the person hasn't given it a chance.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 4, 2016 11:09 PM

May 2016
AmyTwo said:
@Taylor_Bentley

..... It kind of surprises me that you have to type all of that just to say what is totally normal (and pretty obvious) for pretty much anyone to do regarding anything. lol

*Yes, it's fine to drop an anime, cartoon, or TV series if the amount of episodes from the beginning that you've wanted to sit through are not towards your own liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a video game if the amount of things you've played through from the beginning of the game was no longer towards you own liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a song you are listening to if the the amount of what you wanted to listen to from the start isn't towards your liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a book, comic, manga, newspaper, or magazine if the amount of what you wanted to read and/or see from the beginning were not towards your liking or interest.

*Yes, it is fine to drop a movie if the amount of what you've sat through from the beginning is not towards your liking or interest.

I could keep going if I wanted to, but overall, first impressions do matter in pretty much everything, including people. While it's not always right or accurate when basically judging a book by it's cover, it's still completely normal and fine to do so. It's how we are. Literally human nature (or "nature" in general. Animals do this all the time, too. lol). If someone drops this or any anime after the first few episodes, then let them. It's simply what they do not prefer, like, or are interested in themselves. They gave it the chance/s already, and it's simply not what they are suited with. This anime does not appeal to everyone from the start, and not everyone is patient enough to keep going any further; both of which are fine. Leave them be unless they are curious if it actually does get any better later on (which they could just keep watching to find out for themselves anyway, but nonetheless).

THANK YOU. *Hugs* Not that hard to understand at all. Basically repeated what I said, but still, *Hugs harder*.
May 4, 2016 11:35 PM

May 2016
RedRoseFring said:
Based on what though? Are you saying that people who typically say "it gets better" really thought the first 30 or so episodes they sat through were horrible? A 1-4 on MAL's scale? In most breakdowns of the series, those people usually give a 7 or 8 to the East Blue stuff, so it's not that they think it is bad, but that in relation to latter stuff, the latter stuff is better.

Based on what? I have no idea why you're asking such a thing. I mean, I did just replied to the sort of thing saying that I already knew that one saying that recommends a later point of the series doesn't mean that they dislike any of the former. Where in my comments have I ever stated otherwise when it comes to people trying to recommend to keep watching, anyway? I want to know since I'm generally confused as to why you keep saying this sort of thing to me.

I actually agree with that and always thought that the "it gets interesting at episode 'x'" is silly.
One Piece is interesting from episode 1 and there is really nothing else that would keep someone watching for episodes that cover entire other series. It is in many cases just a misunderstanding or issue with conveying their though on the person pleading's part.

I found OP interesting from episode 1, but it is really episode 37 (Arlong Arc) that really hooked me. That is what most people really mean by that plea. The previous stuff is still interesting, but it is when the series reaches that number that the person in question was really sold absolutely. There are many other examples among the highest rated and favourited series.

Well... yeah. That's exactly what I was saying. If the previous episodes before the one/s being recommended to the person has never been interesting or towards their own liking; either of which to not even think about wanting to keep watching (thus dropping the series early on), then I'm just saying that it's completely fine for them to decide on dropping the series from there. They should be left alone if that's the case. Being recommended to watch anymore than what they never liked or were interested before is not a good idea, and to say that they haven't given the show a chance even though they already did sounded silly to me. That's all... ( ._.)

I'd say that there is still a difference between someone dropping it by 10 episodes saying it was not for them, and someone dropping it at 10 episodes and saying the entire series is crap. It is impossible to make such a judgement for an entire series without seeing a certain amount of it, and I think that is reasonable.
It is unfortunate, but there are many cases where people who have done so would even go out of their way to try and bash the series in the subforum. That tends to be the case when people are saying that the person hasn't given it a chance.

Well, a mere 10 episodes can be all they needed in order for them to dislike the entire series is all. Whether it was never for them or how much hate they are expressing it in a way, all in all, it just was never towards their liking, and they do not want to put up with anymore. A mere 10 episodes told them that. Even the very first episode can give people this sort of mindset. Can't please everyone when it comes to that, and it's totally fine to think of so in either way. It's nothing new anyway. I would try my best to ignore the ones who tend to truly bash it frequently, and just let them. I mean, there are many people who watch 10 episodes or even 1 episode and go full-blown fanboy/girl-ish towards the whole series; some of them quite frequently and rather annoyingly too by gong to other anime/manga pages/videos and boasting it there. Not everyone needs to watch many episodes to form a general view towards a whole series. They gave it the chance/s and they just didn't like it that much. Totally fine.
AlliedWishesMay 4, 2016 11:40 PM
May 4, 2016 11:37 PM
May 2015
i dont hate it, i just find myself skipping like every episode and only watching fight scenes
May 8, 2016 9:50 AM

Jul 2015
Taylor_Bentley said:
AmyTwo said:
@Taylor_Bentley

THANK YOU. *Hugs* Not that hard to understand at all. Basically repeated what I said, but still, *Hugs harder*.

Sorry, late reply since I don't go on here often, but you're welcome. :)
Jun 6, 2016 10:03 AM

Aug 2014
Kystril said:
i dont hate it, i just find myself skipping like every episode and only watching fight scenes

One Piece is not just about fight scenes. One Piece is obviously not the anime for you.
Jun 6, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2011
Just my two cents on the 'give it more time' saying.

For me, I NEVER fall in love with a series in the first few episodes. For me, I watch the first episode, and if it doesn't suck (really boring, has a bunch of fan service, etc.) I'll press 'next episode'. I'll continue almost in a daze or monotonous way pressing 'next' until, at some stage in my watching, I HAVE to watch the next episode. It's like a compulsion. At some point, the series will grab me. And if it doesn't? I'll just keep, almost zombie like, pressing next until I either finish the series or grow tired of it.

If you honestly can't stand a series, be it after watching 3 episodes or 1, then end it right there. My policy though, is that if I don't watch at least... let's say 3 of a 12 episode series, 5-6 of a 24 ep series, and well, 6-10 for anything larger than that...... then I won't count it as a drop. I realize that if I 'drop' a series after 1 episode, it shouldn't actually count because I didn't actually watch any of it. Not really.

So, if you don't like the series after 3 or so episodes, drop it, but don't actually cry to the forums how horrible the series is. Cause you got no basis for it with such a small view count. My policy.

Now, going onto a more One Piece based perspective:
The reason why soooo many people say to watch up to x point, which is many an episode in, is because SO very many people didn't really like the series at first and then fell in love with it after reaching so and so point. I don't have the stats on me, but it has reached the threshold. SO MANY, SO VERY MANY people have had that experience. If you honestly don't want to give it a try, or you really don't like the characters, drop it. Don't waste yer time. But if you don't dislike the series, and you even find certain aspects likable, then give it a shot to that point- if it's more than bearable to do so.
Jun 6, 2016 11:33 AM
Apr 2016
MangaKing said:
Kystril said:

One Piece is not just about fight scenes. One Piece is obviously not the anime for you.

It's not, but being a battle shonen franchise, it's still a very important aspect, of course.
Jul 24, 2016 8:28 PM
Jul 2016
I cant stand the art, its too childish
The whole concept and story is for 13-16 year old boys
The fans that always crying and curse when I dont like
Imo , sure it is not that bad but its TOO overrated!!
Company wants more money=There are 10000000 episodes of the same thing again and againwith slight diffences
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »

More topics from this board

» What episode was one piece on when you were born? ( 1 2 3 )

Zakatsuki_ - Sep 15

121 by Corrin1382 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

24 by Ryanakoo »»
24 minutes ago

» Copper lokes like stuff toy

Hickykissy - Sep 20

12 by JoyBoy »»
2 hours ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

90 by ShyBD »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1090 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jan 13

94 by Atlas77 »»
Yesterday, 10:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.