Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 4, 2013 10:14 AM

Dec 2012
So i watched a couple of videos and liked the humor seems like something i can get into in the long run and the MC looks interesting so there is 3 tv series with the name gintama which one do i watch first ? and from what episode it becomes a series worthy of the praise it gets in mal ( all the 3 of them are in top 10 )?

apperciate anyone who is kind/bored enough to help me :) .
tsudecimoFeb 4, 2013 10:21 AM
Feb 4, 2013 11:06 AM

Nov 2010
You watch Gintama(the series whos forum this thread is in) it is 201 episodes, then Gintama' which is 51 episodes, and then the new season which has had like 8 episodes aired thus far.

Well the beginning of the show isn't that funny to me, around 15 or 18 it starts to get funny. Because the first two episodes are a flashback, then from 3 to like 15 they are introducing characters. It has lots of comedy, with some action arcs thrown in.
Feb 4, 2013 12:02 PM

Nov 2010
If you have any other questions, I could help.
Feb 4, 2013 12:03 PM

Nov 2012
Be a man and watch it all.
Feb 28, 2013 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
i also have a question, so are the new seasons of gintama reboots or squeals?
Feb 28, 2013 7:59 PM
Jul 2012
Cunning said:

sequels
Mar 1, 2013 5:05 AM

May 2012
Cunning said:

Squeals? Really?
Mar 1, 2013 12:45 PM

Oct 2011
For me, it started being incredibly good after episode 25 ( Death Note parody )
And, like many others said before, if you don't understand most of the references, you probably won't enjoy it =)
Mar 1, 2013 12:54 PM

Dec 2007
All Gintama seasons are sequels...just Yoruniku isn't but it ain't listed on MAL either. The newest season (season 3) has two arcs that aren't re-aired episodes (good episodes though).

The series is pretty long so, you could try watching some of the earlier episodes (not sure where but from 25+ like said could work, episode 3 was also good as it introduces Kagura and Shinpachi). Once down to getting to know the main cast. It's possible to skip to all the arcs if you don't feel like watching many random (hilarious) episodes.

But as any Gintama fan would say. Watch it all like a real man...or something. It's definitely worth it knowing Sorachi is a genius that he is so creative. Not to mention that all of the cast are likable characters. Watching it all makes you like the series the most...well, watch it all if you're not only interested in the series' main plot...if you are...be a bit patient or just don't watch it since it's not anything like a normal series.
Mar 2, 2013 2:25 AM

Oct 2011
He shouldn't skip any ... the first episodes serve to introduce the main cast of the series and get the ambiance going.
Mar 2, 2013 2:39 AM

Jun 2007
tsudecimo said:
and from what episode it becomes a series worthy of the praise it gets in mal ( all the 3 of them are in top 10 )?

The show's quality is based heavily on you knowing the characters well from seeing every prior episode - so you can't skip any or else it won't EVER become that seires worthy of it's praise, it'd just be a pretty good comedy. It's entirely dependent on building on itself with more and more layers and it relies on you knowing every relationship and little bit of each character's personalities and past exploits to do what it does best - luckily that's easy because of how well it's done. Skipping anything at all, even the first chunk of episodes many don't like, will leave you with something missing - be sure not to skip.

Anybody who claims it's just as good if you skip is saying so without considering the fact they DID NOT SKIP and so don't realize the importance of every single episode being seen before the next - or they did skip and simply don't realize that they didn't get the full effect of the show.

Aside that, it's all up to your personal tastes - it goes through almost every style of comedy but focuses consistently on manzai stuff. The serious stuff, action, and everything else mixed in is also done extremely well, not just the comedy, but it's mostly a series for laughs.
TallonKarrde23Mar 2, 2013 2:43 AM
Mar 2, 2013 9:22 PM

May 2012
i just finish this 201 ep.. now moving to 51 ep.. i did enjoy my 2weeks watching gintama, though i didnt understand most of the reference but still best anime comedy I watched..

Mar 2, 2013 9:27 PM

Nov 2010
Dark_Messiah said:
i just finish this 201 ep.. now moving to 51 ep.. i did enjoy my 2weeks watching gintama, though i didnt understand most of the reference but still best anime comedy I watched..
Don't worry, if you rewatch it later after having watched more anime then you will get more.
Mar 29, 2013 5:54 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
Sorry to bump this i'm currently at ep 16 i think that's good enough to know the characters when does the quality comedy begins ? 25 , 50+ ?
Because i can't just keep watching it is boring not as boring as one piece but still boring ._. .

egasp You found it boring? :o
Ah well everyone has different opinions, different sense of humor and such. For me Gintama gets better as it progresses. Especially when you encounter that first "serious arc" (I think it appears early in season 2)

I suggest for you to keep watching 'til you finish at least season 2 - that is when most long running anime start getting good for the majority or watchers. Since season 1 is just to get a taste of what the world is like and etc. I think the entire season takes it time introducing characters. Anyway, at that point, after finishing at least season 2, only you can decided if you can been watching or not.

Mar 29, 2013 6:01 PM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:
Sorry to bump this i'm currently at ep 16 i think that's good enough to know the characters when does the quality comedy begins ? 25 , 50+ ?
Because i can't just keep watching it is boring not as boring as one piece but still boring ._. .

50+
Mar 29, 2013 6:04 PM

Nov 2012
tsudecimo said:

Really? I found it more funny after all the characters were introduced, have you seen the cockroach episode? That's where it gets better and better
Mar 29, 2013 6:06 PM
Oct 2011
tsudecimo said:
Watch another episode, that's where the main villain of the series gets introduced. Watch until episode 25, episode 25 is something you'll enjoy considering your avatar. The series will remain mostly comedy, but don't expect a sudden rise of quality until after episode 50. Though there are some really enjoyable episodes between 25-50. After episode 50 things get way better, and after 100 they get again way better than the first half, and the quality keeps getting better, until you reach Gintama', which is just brilliant and it's Gintama at its best.
Mar 29, 2013 6:11 PM

Sep 2011
Pretty much what candor said, though i say episode 20 is where it got good. Regardless the general consensus is that around the 20's is where it starts getting entertaining. I just know personally me and some other people i know episode 20 was the first episode we found funny
JizzyHitlerMar 29, 2013 6:15 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 29, 2013 6:16 PM

Nov 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Pretty much what candor said, though i say episode 20 is where it got good. Regardless the general consensus is that around the 20's is where it starts getting entertaining. I just know personally me and some other people i know episode 20 was the first episode we found funny
18 is the panty stealer episode, that's a pretty funny one.
Mar 29, 2013 6:18 PM

Nov 2007
Just look at the dates each series aired
Mar 29, 2013 6:19 PM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
18 is the panty stealer episode, that's a pretty funny one.
oh yah that one is good too, but no where near as good as 20, i also recall a few episodes in the 20 being really good like the ep where wakomoto's character comes in and ep 25

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ranivus - Jun 26, 2008

156 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Jun 26, 2008

95 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 1, 10:23 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 67 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

chibuki - Jul 18, 2008

103 by breddie_sucks »»
May 1, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 26, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Apr 25, 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.