Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 27, 2012 6:49 AM

Dec 2011
I've watched my fair share of Anime, and I just recently began to watch Gintama (1 and a half episodes) yet I'm not exactly getting into the 'grove' or 'thrill' of wanting to watch more of it, actually I can't bring myself to even attempt to watch more episodes.

What makes Gintama so great to be at the top of the anime list?

Should I continue watching it?

I didn't create this thread to bad-mouth the show, just want some thoughts on why and what makes this show supposedly so good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 27, 2012 6:51 AM
Jul 2012
idk im only on episode 30 but, this show is kinda funny, but i dont think its near best anime ever funny.
Oct 27, 2012 6:54 AM

Apr 2011
What's special about it is that it has a little following compared to the more popular series like Death Note, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, of which, most, give the series a high rating. The series I mentioned have a much larger following and has thousands of people who start from it, then dislike it and rate it low. Thus Gintama has a higher overall rating than other shows. As for whether you should continue, if you like it, do so. If you don't, drop it.
Oct 27, 2012 6:54 AM
Sep 2012
Gintama is just #1 on MAL. That is just one website and not the whole majority of anime fans. Looking at your list you'll probably like Gintama as a breather when you've had enough of your preferred shows.
Oct 27, 2012 6:55 AM

Jan 2008
JavierR said:
idk im only on episode 30 but, this show is kinda funny, but i dont think its near best anime ever funny.

Not at the best parts yet. o3o

I'm too lazy for a proper post, so here are these threads as it's a pretty common question among MAL.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=500421 (this one is about people trying to rate it down so it gets removed from the top)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=507477 (this one is about it being on the top)
PaulOct 27, 2012 7:01 AM
Oct 27, 2012 6:57 AM

Dec 2011
bippo said:
Gintama is just #1 on MAL. That is just one website and not the whole majority of anime fans.

I know that, just didn't ask that way.
Oct 27, 2012 7:13 AM

Aug 2011
It's alright, Kintama or Mantama should probably be rated higher though.
Oct 27, 2012 7:19 AM

Jul 2010
SmolderinCorpse said:

Hype.

You also need to think that only people who finished the original Gintama are watching the sequels.
Oct 27, 2012 7:24 AM

Jan 2008
Corleone said:
SmolderinCorpse said:

Hype.

You also need to think that only people who finished the original Gintama are watching the sequels.

You could simply just take off the two sequels and just count Gintama, the first one and it'd be in 5th. 4th if you count TV series only.

But if you apply that "only people who finished the prequel/source are watching it" logic, a lot of the top titles would be different.
Oct 27, 2012 7:33 AM

May 2012
SmolderinCorpse said:
I've watched my fair share of Anime, and I just recently began to watch Gintama (1 and a half episodes) yet I'm not exactly getting into the 'grove' or 'thrill' of wanting to watch more of it, actually I can't bring myself to even attempt to watch more episodes.

It's damn too early to give up.
Oct 27, 2012 7:36 AM

Oct 2012
Why gintama is no1 lies in 70th and above episodes
lionheart04Oct 27, 2012 7:46 AM
Oct 27, 2012 7:55 AM
Oct 2011
I'm one of those who also wondered why Gintama is that great so I started it watched the first episode and dropped it, but after watching some youtube videos and reading some reviews about Gintama (the first 200 eps) I started it again and I'm glad I did.

Gintama is a comedy show, if you're looking for comedy then Gintama is your best bet, but one of the worst things in it is the first 49 episodes, most of them are just bad, the 50th episode was pure genius and it's a filler. After that things get better but it had its ups and downs, though the ups are what makes this series a great series. One of those ups is the Toilet Paper episodes in the 70s (can't remember the episode exactly), it's what drove me into Gintama so I'll just throw it here:

It can get really unique and the comedy in it is simply the best I've seen, the parodies are also amazing. It can get really boring at some points (some action arcs are meh for me) but at other points it's really amazing.

Now to why it's rated high, that's because the ups of this series, after episode 50, are simply too awesome they deserve a 10, but the boring episodes made me give it an 8 for now and I'm still at ep.113, and considering giving it a 9 for now. Its next 2 seasons has been watched by those who finished the first season, so it got very high ratings.

So basically, if you want a great comedy show watch Gintama, it has some ups and downs but the downs in the first 50-60 eps are way more than they are in the rest until I've seen. Continue watching until episode 25 for now and if you laughed a lot in one of the episodes then continue it until the end.
Candor123Oct 27, 2012 8:07 AM
Oct 27, 2012 7:56 AM

Feb 2012
lionheart04 said:

This, and I also agree that only people who finished the prequels watch the sequels and then they automatically give the show 9 or 10 'cause they are Gintama fans, so it gets a very high score.

I think it deserves it though. The first episodes weren't the best, but it gets a looot better though it's pointless to praise Gintama here, you have to find out for yourself (or not, the humour of the show might not fit everyone's tastes; on the other hand the serious arcs have better fights than Naruto/Bleach/OP/any other shounen)
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Oct 27, 2012 8:07 AM

Jun 2012
I keep putting off watching Gintama, 200 episodes is a lot. So I cant really say whether or not it deserves the spot, but you can tell by the number of people who have watched it are only die hard fanboys.
Oct 27, 2012 8:15 AM

Jan 2011
i watched it an have no idea whats so special about it, the latest arc was a snorefest... i might drop it after 2 more episodes or so
Oct 27, 2012 8:33 AM
Apr 2009
I started loving it a little before Benizakura started.I thought it was alright before then.

If you think it is moving slow, go watch the movie.

It is a great dramedy if I do say so myself.
Oct 27, 2012 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
once you get past the slow start it gets great, i put it in my fav's cause i have never seen a show get so progressivley funny but then out of no where pull off serious better than a large majority of shows i watch, hell the sougo sister mini arc's 2nd ep is one of the best eps of anything i have ever seen

though i agree with what everyone says about it, the start of the show sucks, hell even the show acknowledged how much it sucked at first at the start of the kintama arc

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 27, 2012 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
The_Butcher said:
I started loving it a little before Benizakura started.I thought it was alright before then.

If you think it is moving slow, go watch the movie.

It is a great dramedy if I do say so myself.
around ep 30 is where it stops being boring and consistant with its comedy, 40's is where it starts getting legitimently funny, 50's is where it truly gets addicting especially since this is where the action arcs start

its a show that may be hard to get into but if you give it enough time it will reward you for it. Same way one piece is from what i hear

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 27, 2012 8:49 AM

May 2012
If you go into Gintama expecting to hate it, then yeah, you're obviously going to hate it.

Anyway, Gintama is only the funniest anime ever made! Featuring a fantastic cast of characters, a fascinating setting and a great sense of humor! It has a small-ish but dedicated fanbase so of course we're gonna rate it highly. Always.
Oct 27, 2012 8:49 AM

Aug 2010
Gintama takes a long time to get started, but once it does it's one of the funniest things to come out of Japan. It really doesn't deserve to be #1, but it certainly deserves to be in the top 30.
Oct 27, 2012 8:59 AM

Sep 2011
Bob_Squob said:
Gintama takes a long time to get started, but once it does it's one of the funniest things to come out of Japan. It really doesn't deserve to be #1, but it certainly deserves to be in the top 30.
well i mean it does get #1 unfairly due to how mal's rating system(scores do not count until your 1/3rd into the show's episodes and even then until you complete the series your vote doesnt count as a full vote) combined with the fact that the multiple seasns only the people who watched the first 200 eps could vote on gintama'(unless people add it to their list just to downvote it)

i mean the same thing will happen to one piece when it stops airing, i can 100% guarantee you it will be #1 from then on out, that is unless gintama somehow still is around by then but i feel like it will be over by then

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 27, 2012 9:04 AM

May 2011
After seeing 45 episodes I'd say the only special thing in Gintama is how much quality differences it has.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Oct 27, 2012 9:25 AM

Nov 2010
SmolderinCorpse said:

I didn't create this thread to bad-mouth the show, just want some thoughts on why and what makes this show supposedly so good.
That's your problem the first 2 episodes are a sucky flashback, they made me drop it the first time. If you don't mind sticking with it at least like an episode a week try watching until episode 61. That's not to say that it all of a sudden gets good then, but by then you should have been getting a feel of the comedy and that's the first serious arc ends, it's where a lot of people get hooked or at least decide that they don't mind watching it, or possibly dropping it if they so feel so. And like all anime it does get better, IMO the comedy does get better in the second half of the first series and the other series is pretty funny. It's about 75% comedy and 15% action, and the action is bloody action most of the time, it's bloodier than most shounens.

It is on the list because it has great comedy with good action, don't expect a great plot or anything like that, the plot doesn't move forward a lot. People have already said that since it has 3 seasons, if you don't like the first one you won't watch the second of the third, so it's pretty high up partly because of that.
Oct 27, 2012 1:27 PM
Jul 2012
the first 2 episodes weren't flashback but specials, just some fillers. After you get introduced to the characters, then you'll start loving it
Oct 27, 2012 1:32 PM

Apr 2011
You should no give up so fast! just continue watching it more you will get used to it and later love it it took me 57 episodes to get used to it, so you too hang in there!

I recommend you watching Gintama later after you have watched some anime like One Piece, DBZ, and other popular old anime.

You gave Great Teacher Onizuka 9/10 ??? then why do you even hesitate ? just continue watching, GTO only had comedy and you liked it, Gintama got mature comedy so you will sure like it.
Oct 27, 2012 3:56 PM

May 2012
Am i really the only one here who loved Gintama from the very first episode? I don't know if i watched a different first episode than everyone else, but from what i remember it's a kick ass FLASHFORWARD "in media res" 2-parter that perfectly introduces all the characters, the offbeat humor and the crazy world as a whole! It even has a narrator (who sounds suspiciously a lot like Madao) and subtitles that briefly explains who the characters are.

Why all the hate? It does its job with bravour!
who_dat_ninjaOct 27, 2012 4:10 PM
Nov 15, 2012 7:00 AM

Aug 2011
SmolderinCorpse said:

Watch this video then decide.
Sorry for my bad English.
Apr 2, 2013 3:02 AM
Apr 2013
just fucking watch it and stop complaining
Apr 2, 2013 3:07 AM

Jun 2007
MidnightEkaki said:

They stopped complaining in 2012.
Apr 3, 2013 3:59 PM

Nov 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
MidnightEkaki said:

They stopped complaining in 2012.

This. Those who didn't watch gintama won't understand this.

Just try watching it, it took me 40+ episodes(benizakura arc, forgot exact episodes) to get hooked to gintama, which takes about 3 months. Then i watch another 100+ episodes in just 2 weeks.. Now i'm at episodes 151 as im writing this..
Seriously, it's that good.
Apr 7, 2013 12:10 PM

Sep 2012
except the fact Gintama is hillarious, it's so much more than that. you can learn a lot about life from it. about love, friendship, respect, loyalty.. so many beautiful scenes we can learn from. it's a comedy in general, but has many serious scenes, so many great villains, good and bad characters in general. all of them are special and made perfect. i got hooked up at 5th episode i think and fell in love with most of supersexy and silly male characters =D
it made me laugh, made me cry (love ep 189)... actually always saves me when caught up in daily life problems, always puts a smile on my face when i'm down and helped me a lot. and yes, i'm addicted :)
but this is just me.
anyways, i think it deserves to be in the 1st place of all times.
anyone who didn't watch it please do it NOW!!
;)
sorashikaApr 27, 2013 3:44 PM
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Apr 7, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2011
MidnightEkaki said:

You're the sole reason why this thread has been revived.
Nov 7, 2013 9:37 AM
Sep 2013
first 30ep or some are the worst part of gintama ,and whats more they have very terrible sub(translation) at first about 10ep, so just star off from 10ep+.
Nov 8, 2013 12:21 AM
Feb 2013
you don't talk about good or bad when you just got your self on 1 & a half episode. it's still some character introduction so bear it for a while. you will know later why this anime is at the top, since i was like you when i first heard about gintama.
Nov 15, 2013 2:06 AM
May 2013
Gintama is so high up because it has by far the greatest comedy elements in anime, mix that in with videly varied plots and you have a series that can pretty much appeal to anyone. It is true that the series starts out with a lot of average typical anime humor.
But after a while (when the author starts to feek less worried about SJ dropping the series) it stats to take huge liberties and the humor stars to greatly differentiate from other series and it is here that the gold starts.

Gintama also has quite a huge cast which you need to get familar with before you can fully enjoy the jokes which takes quite a few episodes. Personally i started enjoying the show greatly around episode 25, i gave it that time solely because it was ranked so high and it was only logical that it would get better.

To sum it up, Gintama is so high because it is awesome. It's not number one because people watch the first 20 episodes and drop the series, giving it a low score (which of course is fair considering they aren't really that good).

Also, please don't compare gintama to naruto : < makes me sad
Aug 26, 2014 10:10 AM

Dec 2013
If you are judging a anime . You must watch it full .

So let me tell you my experience . As i am following mal for long . I have been seeing Gintama on the top for long . So i thought of starting the series . For some reason i hoped it would be good enough to entertain me . The beginning are really slow paced and a little boring . But it really gets to the good part later . Thats what i have experienced . Once you are into the show it gets more entertaining . let me give you example : ( note its my own anime watching experience not for all ) Some of my favorites animes like Clannad and Stein's gate started slow too . Clannad first season was good . But it brought the best part in it's 2nd season . The same goes for Stein's gate . The first 12 ep and the the awesomeness . I am not telling they are bad . They were good . But the amusement i felt after completing them was really awesome and cool more than there beginning . And i also felt a little emptiness after their ending . These are the same feelings i felt when watching Gintama . The difference is Gintama takes a little long time to get you into it . But after you are into it , you will be really surprised why it's not more popular . Its truly a great show . I still remember i once laughed my ass out so loud that my little bro woke up . And the actions gives you so thrill that you ought to be surprised . Cause its a surprise action . One moment you are laughing , in the nest moment suddenly it gets series . It also has sad parts . I kinda wanted those parts to be longer . Cause they could make it a lot more emotional . But sadly they just end it in 1 or 2 eps . And it's one of those shows , that when you are once hooked up you can't quit . I really missed it while it ended . i would really love it to continue endlessly . ( like One piece ) Not taking any gap . Watch it bro . After finishing it you will not regret it . It's truly is awesome . And let me tell you i am not a fan boy or anything . I just like the show . It's one of my favorite . Not the best .
Aug 27, 2014 2:30 PM

Jan 2014
It is funny.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 16, 2015 4:26 PM
Jan 2015
Gintama is like one piece, ur not gonna enjoy it at first, but if you stick to it, u will be obsessed
Feb 16, 2015 4:26 PM

Aug 2014
Because its japanese family guy
Jun 13, 2015 7:05 AM
Jun 2015
Gintama imo is the only anime ever (probably) that trolling everything, everyone. Even though the early episodes are kinda random and makes us to wonder "what the heck is this?", but by the time goes, that randomness become its strong points. Heck, even popularity polls can be a great anime episode.. The comedy in this anime is 11/10.
Jul 23, 2015 6:04 AM
Jul 2015
Gintama is boring if:
1) You just watch the earlier episodes
2) You didn't watch enough anime

There is a lot of elements involved in Gintama. Its mostly comedy, which is very funny to me. Lots of other anime parodies and trolling, you will find it funny if you get what they refers to. That's why you need to watch 'enough' anime to watch this.

And there are some touching/sentimental moments which makes you really sad. It is funny, and at the same time, it touches your heart. Gintama thought you life lessons. This may sounds funny, but, you need to watch Gintama to understand this.

Gintama's music arrangement really hit the spot, whether it is funny or sad.

The big plus in the Gintama anime is its voice actor, Sugita. He really did a very100x good job voicing Gintoki. Hands down he is the best Seiyuu for me.

I got bored in the few early episodes, but its really getting intense at the Benizakura Arc, which really shocked me. I thought the genre had been changed. That is where I started to really like Gintama; which is now my 2nd favorite of all time after One Piece.
Jul 23, 2015 6:10 AM

Jan 2015
lionheart04 said:

Ah dang you serious? I've watched up until ep 66 and kinda slowed down, watched only 2 ep in last 2 weeks. It's not bad but I'm starting to lose interest. Now i got my motivation back on yay
Jul 29, 2015 6:12 AM

Jul 2014
You know GINTAMA IS THE BEST ANIME/MANGA for me PLEASE DONT DROP IT
Try reading the myanimelist discussions about GINTAMA I BEG ALL OF YOU DONT DROP THE UNIQUE STORY. I have watched so many anime amd read so many manga, most of the manga I am reading shounen but Gintama is the best so dont drop it be patient onegai
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Jul 29, 2015 6:15 AM

Aug 2010
MurukoHiiragi said:
You know GINTAMA IS THE BEST ANIME/MANGA for me PLEASE DONT DROP IT
Try reading the myanimelist discussions about GINTAMA I BEG ALL OF YOU DONT DROP THE UNIQUE STORY. I have watched so many anime amd read so many manga, most of the manga I am reading shounen but Gintama is the best so dont drop it be patient onegai

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Oct 29, 2015 3:01 PM
Aug 2014
The two first episodes are like prologues used to establish relationships and whatever. They're lame.

The true anime starts on, like episode three, but the first two makes it more understandable. I literally struggled to fight through them, but I'm glad I did. Don't give up yet.
Nov 3, 2015 2:03 PM

Nov 2014
Toilet sense of humor among teens in addition to countless duplicate boosting accounts.

Nov 3, 2015 2:07 PM

Nov 2014
Its the best anime ever so it deserves its place even though it should be higher imo.
Nov 7, 2015 8:07 PM

Jul 2008
here's the real reason it's at the top... because of how MAL calculates the ratings. It's a 200 episode anime, which means only those who liked and stuck with it have their ratings count.

This is how they rank shows: "Only scores where a user has completed at least 1/5 of the anime/manga are calculated.

Example: If you watched a 26 episode series, this means you would had to have watched at least 5 episodes (26/5.2)=5. We're using 5.2 instead of 5 so we get a whole number for "most" series. "

Someone needs to watch 39 episodes of Gintama for their rating to count.

Of course, Gintama would still be highly rated if it wasn't for this.
Nov 19, 2015 4:11 PM
Aug 2015
Gintama deserves to be on the top. Many think that its just comedy (bad comedy) or a filler show but thats not it.
Gintama has a unique system of arcs. The first 49-50 episodes are all there just so that the viewers can get an understanding if the characters and their relationships with each other. Their 'Personality'.And then comes the Benizakura Arc which made Gintama what it is today. (not saying its the best arc, just cause it showed gintama's true potential for the first time). Gintama is not rushed like other anime.It spends a lot of time in letting the viewers understand the characters.
Each character is unique. Especially Gintoki(MC). He might act like an Idiot all the time but he is a very mature , sensible and responsible Adult. Gintama has made many people try crying laughing and cry CRYING. Without the filler arcs we can not understand why exactly what the hell is going on?

Like : Ok...so Gin is fighting Nizo...ohh Shinpachi saved Gin...wiat..when did they get so close??and Who is Nizo!?

The episodes after 50 are All Awesome...except the Ghost Onsen Arc.

Gintama is the best comedy anime out there and also one of the best action anime.

Not watching it will be a Big Mistake. Every single episode is important.

So my advice is stick with it. You wont regeret it . You will be glad like all other Gintama Fans.
Nov 22, 2015 3:51 PM

Sep 2014
Its better than your favorite animes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 201 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

garfield15 - Mar 25, 2010

252 by szadam11 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

playconn - Feb 14, 2008

76 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 77 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nehnehneji - Sep 8, 2008

94 by Iamtragedy »»
Yesterday, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 153 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

PandaPuff - Apr 16, 2009

156 by ZYChronoAce »»
May 12, 12:38 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Oct 24, 2007

95 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
May 12, 7:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.