Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2016 10:37 AM

Feb 2016
I don't understand it. I see it all the time in the USA. The poor are usually obese or chunky. Even the people begging on the side of the road for change have a large amount of body fat around their mid section. How is it they are poor but can afford to stuff their fat faces like that?

Compare that to the days of the great depression. When you were poor back then you were skin and bones and starving.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 8, 2016 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
They eat cheap, shitty, unhealthy food and their diet in general is bad.
Jun 8, 2016 10:40 AM

May 2013
Weird ain't it. But yeah that's how it goes, they are in quite a state huh?? It's not expensive to live off of junk food, you know...

And don't worry, there are still plenty of the 'skin and bones' type left lol. God knows that's what I would be if I ever hit the skids.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jun 8, 2016 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
Cheaper food is more fattening. Also, a lot of people gain weight easier than they used to, like how people overall are taller as well.

Jun 8, 2016 10:47 AM
Apr 2013
I don't get this either. It's like, stop eating just stop eating, how hard can it be? You'll save a load of money too.

Then there's the sad truth that due to modern manufacturing and food preparation methods and the use of ingredients that are very detrimental to health, it's much easier to become unhealthy than in the past, which for some people means becoming fat. But still, if they didn't eat anything at all they would hardly become fat out of thin air.
Jun 8, 2016 10:49 AM

Aug 2010
It's not really cheaper but it's certainly easier a lot of the time. Lack of knowledge on healthy foods and convenience of unhealthy stuff is the reason.
Jun 8, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
American junk food is dirt cheap, and it requires way less effort than making your own more healthy food. So poor + lazy = fat.
Jun 8, 2016 10:51 AM

May 2013
Moog said:
So poor + lazy = fat.

and this food is terrible for your energy levels, it's really quite bad :P
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jun 8, 2016 10:56 AM

Feb 2012
You should check the prices on something like tomatoes and actual beef. You'd get 12 frozen pizzas for that price. Also a lot of foodstuffs are designed for families, not loners, which leads to excess and having excess can lead to overeating. I'd argue the healthiest and most cost efficient thing for people in this social class to do would be to only eat at lunch restaurants and not bother with groceries at all.

Also the skinny ones are drug addicts or have cancer.
Jun 8, 2016 10:57 AM

Jun 2013
It's because of the over processed cheap junk food they eat.

And here junk food is like gourmet food since it's expensive.
Jun 8, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2016
Obesity can be a consequence of low income and the resulting lack of access to enough nutritious food or stresses of poverty.

When available, healthy food may be more expensive in terms of the monetary cost as well as (for perishable items) the potential for waste.

Also when available, healthy food -especially fresh produced- is often of poorer quality in lower income neighborhoods.

Low income communities have greater availability of fast food restaurants. These restaurants serve many energy-dense, nutrient poor foods at relatively low prices.
DarkAngel035Jun 8, 2016 11:11 AM
That feeling when you feel you know the feeling of not feeling any feel at all. Get the feeling?
Jun 8, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2014
Not everyone's on the street poor for a long time, so what with eating cheap unhealthy food and not really excersising how long do you think it'll take to lose weight? It doesn't happen in a few weeks.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jun 8, 2016 11:04 AM

Oct 2010
Buying things like vegetables and fruits is much more expensive than buying stuff like packaged cookies and bags of chips. Fried fast food is also very inexpensive.

It costs more money to eat well.
Jun 8, 2016 11:06 AM

Dec 2013
Cheap food is unhealthy. It only costs a dollar to get something from McDonalds
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jun 8, 2016 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
The cheaper something is the more likely its unhealthy
Jun 8, 2016 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
Well rice and water doesn't cost that much now doest it?
Poor people make poor decisions in general.
Jun 8, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2012
Raimu4 said:

Rice is junk food, though. Along with pasta and bread.
Jun 8, 2016 11:12 AM
Apr 2013
Usagi said:
Buying things like vegetables and fruits is much more expensive than buying stuff like packaged cookies and bags of chips. Fried fast food is also very inexpensive.

It costs more money to eat well.
So buy 3 vegetables instead of 6 bags of chips. Guess what, you're not fat anymore.

Raimu4 said:
Poor people make poor decisions in general.
This

mecharobot said:
Raimu4 said:

Good point.
Jun 8, 2016 11:16 AM

Oct 2015
junkfood is dirt cheap and more available than healthy food.
Jun 8, 2016 11:33 AM

Oct 2010
55Snakes said:
So buy 3 vegetables instead of 6 bags of chips. Guess what, you're not fat anymore.

Actually three crowns of broccoli here costs what it does to buy enough fried food for the entire week. It's no wonder why people in poverty pick the frozen fried dinners over buying enough vegetables to last them the entire week.
Jun 8, 2016 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
A 5$ Cesar's pizza taste so good though.

Yes, because "the poor" love eating junk food and being fat. Every single one is fat and lazy. I love generalizations. Stop being poor!
removed-userJun 8, 2016 11:42 AM
Jun 8, 2016 11:45 AM

Sep 2015
Because junk food exists, and it's cheaper. As for homeless people, perhaps because they often sit for hours on end while begging meaning they don't get much exercise.
Jun 8, 2016 11:46 AM

Feb 2016
For 5$ I can buy dried beans and rice that would last a week. For 3$ I can get a giant sized bag of potatoes. Around 1$ I get buy a full pound of pasta.

By comparison, a single hamburger at a fast food joint is 1$. A single microwave pizza is around 5$+.

It's actually cheaper eating healthy.
SaturdayKrushJun 8, 2016 11:50 AM
Jun 8, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
Well I mean, this is the US. If you aren't actively thinking about what your eating, you're most likely eating junk food.

To answer your question, they can only buy cheap food which is usually bad for ya.

Jun 8, 2016 11:48 AM

Oct 2012
At this point I'd rather starve than eat junk food.

Might explain why I barely gain any weight, and I'm underweight.
Jun 8, 2016 11:50 AM
Apr 2013
SaturdayKrush said:
For 5$ I can buy dried beans and rice that would last a week. For 3$ I can get a giant sized bag of potatoes.

By comparison, a single hamburger at a fast food joint is 1$.

Out of the food you list though, the hamburger is the healthiest

Apr 2015
Because healthy foods are more expensive, while the cheaper food is fattening junk food. Also, if you had some money to buy something to eat, but didn't know when you were going to be able to afford food again, would you go for the pack of Oreos or a head of lettuce?

Feb 2016
55Snakes said:
SaturdayKrush said:
For 5$ I can buy dried beans and rice that would last a week. For 3$ I can get a giant sized bag of potatoes.

By comparison, a single hamburger at a fast food joint is 1$.

You're joking right? Rice and beans are way more healthy than a fast food burger. =/
Jun 8, 2016 11:58 AM

Nov 2015
Moog said:
American junk food is dirt cheap, and it requires way less effort than making your own more healthy food. So poor + lazy = fat.

Agree with all of this.
Another thing I'd like to add is that the only reason as to why anyone would be poor in america is because they're lazy.

I mean there are a lot of exceptions to this but apart from being crippled or mentally handicapped there's absolutely nothing that stops people from having decent jobs..
Jun 8, 2016 12:24 PM

Sep 2015
SaturdayKrush said:
55Snakes said:

You're joking right? Rice and beans are way more healthy than a fast food burger. =/
Carbs are energy that turn to sugar when not used, for example - when you eat pasta/noodles on a student budget and spend all your time studying instead of exercising, you put on weight fast. Rice is the same.

Being healthy isn't as expensive as people make it out to be though, I pay for a fortnight's worth of top quality healthy food with just $90AUD.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Jun 8, 2016 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
junk foods are cheap and poor people can usually only buy cheap foods, those instant noodles and any other processed foods are cheap too
Jun 8, 2016 12:55 PM
Apr 2013
j0x said:
junk foods are cheap and poor people can usually only buy cheap foods, those instant noodles and any other processed foods are cheap too
They can buy more expensive (healthy) food but less of it. Surely that uses the same amount of money and solves the fat problem.
Jun 8, 2016 1:00 PM

Jan 2009
55Snakes said:
j0x said:
They can buy more expensive (healthy) food but less of it. Surely that uses the same amount of money and solves the fat problem.

do also note that usually poor people have less time to cook too because of shit pay but usually long hours of work, and healthy food takes longer time to prepare and cook which they usually have no time for
Jun 8, 2016 1:13 PM

May 2014
All food is junk regardless, I just photosynthesise and wait for melanoma to kill me.

I'll just parrot everyone else here, a 1.5 litre bottle of soda here costs half as much as a 600ml bottle of water from the supermarket.
Jun 8, 2016 1:18 PM
Apr 2013
@Passion-Fruit You've got to be kidding, soda costs at least $0.40 per litre whereas mineral water can easily be found for $0.15 per litre or $0.20 per litre at most. Even high quality glass-bottled water can be found for $0.60 per litre depending on the country.
Jun 8, 2016 1:26 PM

May 2009
This has got to be the most ignorant topic I have seen so far this year.
Jun 8, 2016 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
mecharobot said:
Raimu4 said:

Yeah I mean look at all those fat Africans living on donated rice lol
Jun 8, 2016 1:28 PM

Nov 2012
They buy a lot of processed ready to go, easy to cook food like microwave stuff, crisps, cans etc. Since they're not healthy for your body, it makes them gain weight easily and they can't burn them because they simply don't exercise, naturally.

Even if they buy vegetables and stuff as far as I can see in my country they still choose ready to go, easy to make stuff because it's well, easier. Like pasta, rice etc.

And they can have health problems too like diabetes, who knows.

It's sad really while there is a lot of food waste around, supermarkets throw fresh vegetables everyday because they look ugly.
Jun 8, 2016 1:54 PM

Jul 2015
Unhealthy food is much cheaper. Have you been to McDonald's?
Jun 8, 2016 2:05 PM

Jul 2012
Poor people are just like normal people but without money a lazy inactive person will probably be overweight as well. "poor".

Hachiko75 said:
This has got to be the most ignorant topic I have seen so far this year.

I agree people dont want to eat rice and beans everyday for a year straight that would be even worse for their health than being overweight.

TheArchangels said:
Cheap food is unhealthy. It only costs a dollar to get something from McDonalds
codephat said:
Cheaper food is more fattening. Also, a lot of people gain weight easier than they used to, like how people overall are taller as well.

At least some people get it.
Jun 8, 2016 2:13 PM
Jun 2016
They can at least afford SOME food, so they can't be as poor as they try to make people think. Although cheap food is usually unhealthy, so you don't have to be rich to be fat.
Jun 8, 2016 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
Its so much easier to eat out. This is coming from a guy who finished a 50 pound bag of rice in 1 and a half years.

$2.49 plus tax Carls Jr. California Classic burger. 2 beef patties, 2 slices of tomato, lettuce, cheese, grilled onions

$1.89 Carls. Jr spicy chicken sandwich
Jun 8, 2016 2:16 PM
Apr 2013
beef, tomato, lettuce, cheese, onions, certainly doesn't sound unhealthy to me

Why do people go on and on about how unhealthy food is cheap.
That's not an excuse to be fat because you can just buy healthy food and eat less, with the same amount of money. It's a simple logical argument.
Jun 8, 2016 2:29 PM

Oct 2010
55Snakes said:

That's not an excuse to be fat because you can just buy healthy food and eat less, with the same amount of money. It's a simple logical argument.

"I have $15 dollars to spend on dinner for the week. I can either get a few onions ($0.75 each), a small pack of chicken ($8), and a small pack of cherry tomatoes ($4) and not be able to eat every night this week, or I can check out that 10 for $10 instant noodle sale. There is also frozen fried chicken dinners 2 for $3. Which one do I pick?" Obviously people aren't going to choose to eat three or four nights out of the week compared to eating all seven.
Jun 8, 2016 2:32 PM
Apr 2013
I was talking about the burger in the post above, lol
Jun 8, 2016 2:45 PM

Oct 2010
55Snakes said:
I was talking about the burger in the post above, lol

55Snakes said:

That certainly doesn't sound like you're only talking about the burger.

You seem to not understand just how drastic the price difference between something like 1 vegetable and 1 pack of instant noodles is in some countries. In the part of America where I am from, one crown of broccoli can cost up to $3.50, one small pack of cherry tomatoes costs $4, one crown of cauliflower costs $4.50, etc. One pack of instant noodles costs $0.25, one box of frozen pizza with nine individually packaged squares costs $2.99, one frozen dinner with stuff like chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, and brownies in it costs around $2.50 or so.

Yet you're parading around in here like "poor fat people can just buy vegetables and eat less. It makes perfect sense!" without taking families with weekly budgets into account and just how much less they might have to eat (skipping meals) in order to buy all healthy food.
Jun 8, 2016 2:52 PM
Apr 2013
@Usagi All I'm saying is "unhealthy food is cheap" is not a sufficient argument to justify that they are fat. They don't have to buy only healthy food but they can buy 50% healthy food, or whatever is the right balance between not having enough to eat and having too much unhealthy food to eat.

You mention cherry tomatoes but why not normal tomatoes which cost barely more than $2 per kg. Anyway I don't want to go into details to be honest.
Jun 8, 2016 3:01 PM

Oct 2010
I mention cherry tomatoes because cherry tomatoes are slightly cheaper than normal tomatoes here. Regular tomatoes cost $2.50 - $4.00 per pound. 1 kilogram = 2.20 pounds. You're better off getting the small case of cherry tomatoes if you intend to use them for salad or sauce.

EDIT: It can even go up to $7.00 per pound in the winter sometimes.
Jun 8, 2016 3:05 PM
Apr 2013
Well I guess you live in a weird place
Jun 8, 2016 3:09 PM

Oct 2010
I live in New England in America. Those prices are normal here.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» First time Anime convention - any tips?

animeadept - 1 hour ago

0 by animeadept »»
1 hour ago

» Restaurant and takeaway staff spitting (and other stuff) in your food, how common is it?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

2 by Rhae »»
1 hour ago

» What are you doing right now?

Taiyaa - Apr 5

42 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» The Curse of Overtourism

Meusnier - 8 hours ago

12 by Nutella71 »»
1 hour ago

» Why do people get WOWD by old books

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

4 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.