Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 9:04 PM

Aug 2022
Like anything you read that is old everyone knows about and has written about it.

Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
May 21, 9:10 PM

Oct 2013
That's how classics are like and why they became classics in the first place.
May 21, 9:14 PM

Mar 2013
Couple of reasons from the top of my head. Firstly, they had time to build prestige alongside their authors. Secondly, they been incorporated into academic study and curriculums of various institutions. This formal recognition by our intellectual and cultural class develops those connotations of sophistication. Thirdly, and related to the last one, but reading older books is generally seen as something only a person with an especially cultivated interest in reading would do. Reading is generally seen as an intellectual pursuit depending on the material, and who else would search for a book few people in the general populace would read?

What else….I think we as society develop certain classics that we are told as good, and so we accept it as fact and viciously defend them against people who are dismissive of them. We take these books to be indicators of sophistication, because otherwise how would one communicate their status?
May 21, 9:24 PM

Jun 2019
Because writers used to have a true style back then. Who can compete with the Bard today? And the critical apparatus is pretty much irrelevant to what good literature can intellectually and artistically bring you. Likewise, everyone may know about Velázquez, but there is a reason why people are still (rightfully) fascinated by his work...
May 21, 9:47 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Brother, what the heck are you even talking about?
May 22, 12:17 AM

Feb 2024
I honestly prefer modern literature, by "modern" I mean 1920+ maybe.
Classics is maybe just easier to get into as it's part of school education: I can imagine how one used to junk social networks and online games may feel when first reading Faulkner or Hemingway, that must be wow for sure.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 22, 12:32 AM

Mar 2008
Because it is in school curriculums and better known because it is old. It had more time to spread to public knowledge.
May 22, 3:10 AM

Dec 2015
vasipi4946 said:
Like anything you read that is old everyone knows about and has written about it.

If everyone knows about it, than tell me what Herodotus wrote about Scythians?
What did Livy wrote about Kingdom of Rome?
What did Anne Komnene think of European Barbarians, did she even praised them once?

These books have hundreds of years you should know the answers, as you've said everyone knows about that.
May 22, 3:25 AM

Sep 2016
Because some of them are actually good, even by modern standards, or perhaps even better than comparable modern works?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 3:31 AM

Feb 2020
They are probably wondering how there's no charger input
May 23, 6:40 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zettaiken
vasipi4946 said:

If everyone knows about it, than tell me what Herodotus wrote about Scythians?
What did Livy wrote about Kingdom of Rome?
What did Anne Komnene think of European Barbarians, did she even praised them once?

These books have hundreds of years you should know the answers, as you've said everyone knows about that.
@Zettaiken
Herodotus is the only one of those I've even heard of...
その目だれの目?
May 23, 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
I read some old manga from the 2010s...if that is old...
May 23, 9:19 AM

Jan 2023
Hello, what is the meaning of "WOWD"?
May 23, 9:29 AM

Sep 2016
father I cannot click the book.....
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

May 23, 9:39 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to juanlqr
@juanlqr Like shocked/surprised, I think OP missed the e in wowed also.
May 23, 12:31 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to juanlqr
@juanlqr
Wowed is how it is spelled. To be in awe. Literally just saying "wow" basically.
May 23, 1:50 PM

Aug 2020
There are more timeless Amazing works in the past

May 23, 2:21 PM

Jul 2013
Most writers are sophists aka they are just lying to defend the status quo. These authors spin elaborate bs lies to fool the masses into thinking that our society is "just" or "fair" or "sustainable". But it isn't. Go f**k sophists like Jordan Peterson and Stephen Pinker. You can easily tell that they are con artists. Yet the dumb masses actually believe in their lies.

More topics from this board

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 3 )

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 15

100 by DigiCat »»
1 minute ago

» What type of physical affection do you crave/Fantasize the most about?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by JaniSIr »»
5 minutes ago

» What was the first time a woman had an armor bikini in fiction?

Absurdo_N - 1 hour ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Cheese Nips and the tragedy of discontinued snacks

Nette - 2 hours ago

3 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
41 minutes ago

» Talk to your waifu

EmperorThor - Jan 11, 2023

34 by Noboru »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.