Forums

TV Anime 'Fate/Extra Last Encore' Announced for 2017

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Mar 29, 2016 1:53 PM

Aug 2010
Insertanamehere said:
astroprogs said:

If you really want to judge the franchise, head to the root. Read the visual novel.

He's just butthurt Gilgamesh got defeated so why recommend the VN where it happens more?

Maybe if he decided to read the VN, he may start to realize that there are a lot of impressive things about it and Gil may not even be in the top 10.
Mar 29, 2016 2:03 PM

Apr 2010
astroprogs said:
Insertanamehere said:

He's just butthurt Gilgamesh got defeated so why recommend the VN where it happens more?

Maybe if he decided to read the VN, he may start to realize that there are a lot of impressive things about it and Gil may not even be in the top 10.

He'll just come to recognize that Taiga Dojo is the best thing that ever happens in the Fate franchise.
Mar 29, 2016 2:24 PM

Aug 2010
antonn said:
astroprogs said:

He'll just come to recognize that Taiga Dojo is the best thing that ever happens in the Fate franchise.

Easily no.1 in that top 10. Followed closely by the Miniature Theatres.
Mar 29, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2011
lets see here new Fate extra anime cool something to look forward to while it sucks ufotable ant doing it mainly because i see them as the staple character designs but hey theres already been a few other spins off with different studios so i guess this is fine?....

oh it's Shaft......"hello darkness my old friend"
Mar 30, 2016 2:16 AM
Mar 2016
this will be 2 seasons or 1?
Mar 30, 2016 2:34 AM

Sep 2011
Why did this thread turn into a Fate General talk thread? This is about F/E. Also, you guys are throwing so many spoilers in a news threads where so many people won't even know what the story is about. Please use the discussion board to continue your spoiler talks. Also, don't turn the thread into a Death Note thread as well...

Thread Cleaned to what I was able to see as off-topic.
Mar 30, 2016 3:25 AM

Jul 2007
Kingof1k said:

Unknown, too early to tell.

Most of shaft shows start with 13 episodes so this might be a split cour. Certainly won't be a continuous run.
Mar 30, 2016 6:58 AM
Mar 2016
Fai said:
Kingof1k said:

Most of shaft shows start with 13 episodes so this might be a split cour. Certainly won't be a continuous run.
Do you think Fate Extra have enough material for 20+ episodes?
Mar 30, 2016 8:27 AM
Jul 2015
Kingof1k said:
Fai said:

It might not be adaptation as far as the site hints so nobody knows.
Mar 30, 2016 8:53 AM

Aug 2014
Kingof1k said:
Fai said:

Not with a single route.
Mar 30, 2016 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
SkullProX said:
astroprogs said:

No, she's neither. She's a completely different character.

How did you reach the conclusion that "only zero is good", when you don't know much about the franchise to compare, though?

Oh, alright.
I watched a thrash called UBW that's why.

Did you honestly believe that you can judge a whole franchise just by comparing both Zero and UBW's anime adaptations? Read the VN if you want to make such generalizations.
Mar 30, 2016 9:31 AM

Nov 2007
I am okay with Hanekawa or Senjougahara's but is that saber butt line for real?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 30, 2016 9:36 AM

Apr 2014
shanimebib said:
guess u dont know much about the source.
Mar 30, 2016 9:38 AM

Nov 2007
moodie said:
shanimebib said:

If the design is from Type-Moon then I have nothing else to add.
Coronavirus.
Mar 30, 2016 9:44 AM
Jul 2015
shanimebib said:
moodie said:

I don't see any problem with the line but i think you wont like here front design lol
Mar 30, 2016 9:48 AM

Nov 2007
Dab1za9 said:
shanimebib said:

I don't see any problem with the line but i think you wont like here front design lol

Actually, now the back design looks rather acceptable. Thanks for the pic.
Coronavirus.
Mar 30, 2016 10:02 AM

Jul 2007
Kingof1k said:
Fai said:

If they go deeper into the character's mind like SHAFT usually does, absolutely yes.
If they go by UBW speed and style of adaptation absolutely not.

It will be somewhat modified most likely since a lot of gamey things and repetitive gamey things need to be altered for an anime production.

shanimebib said:

Thats part of her character and personality.
Mar 30, 2016 10:10 AM

Aug 2015
Don't worry guys, Shaft will find a way....,

To do a record breaking head tilt ofc
Mar 30, 2016 11:51 AM

Aug 2010
Well, I wasn't expecting SHAFT, but this could be fun.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 25, 2016 5:38 PM

May 2015
I know this has already been said alot but "SHAFT?" seriously? I got my doubt face on till I see the whole thing. Wonder why Ufotable didn't take this one?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 3:18 AM

Aug 2010
zurgboy00 said:
I know this has already been said alot but "SHAFT?" seriously? I got my doubt face on till I see the whole thing. Wonder why Ufotable didn't take this one?

SHAFT is the best studio for Extra. They even did the CCC OP.

Also, TM most likely never offered Extra to ufo, in the first place. If anyone were to do Extra, it'd have always been SHAFT.
Apr 26, 2016 8:37 PM
Mar 2016
zurgboy00 said:
If you TM/Ufo wanted to do that, then we need to waitl 'til 2022 or so
Apr 28, 2016 2:05 AM

Jul 2007
zurgboy00 said:

Ufotable's "style" would absolutely not fit F/Extra. It already absolutely did not fit FSN.

Fate franchise is VERY wordy and introspective, focused on character thoughts more than on flashy action and Ufo can't do that as shown with ufoubw. When it is done in ufo's style, it loses all its meaning.

SHAFT is a perfect fit, especially considering how surrealistic F/E setting is.
Apr 30, 2016 12:54 AM
Apr 2016
I just heard the news this morning and I thought it was going to be adapted by ufotable.. I was completely surprised when I read that SHAFT is going to adapt Fate/Extra. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SHAFT but I would have preferred the high quality animation by ufotable.
Apr 30, 2016 2:00 AM

Feb 2013
Naturally, the story should still hold out very well, being handled by SHAFT. Also looking forward to just about every character with head tilts :v
Apr 30, 2016 2:13 AM

Nov 2013
Bridget84 said:
I just heard the news this morning and I thought it was going to be adapted by ufotable.. I was completely surprised when I read that SHAFT is going to adapt Fate/Extra. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SHAFT but I would have preferred the high quality animation by ufotable.
Implying Shaft doesn't produce high quality animation when it's needed.
Though sometimes they can be lazy and we don't get that until BDs come out, but generally they are just as good as Ufotable.
Apr 30, 2016 8:38 AM

Jul 2007
Bridget84 said:
I just heard the news this morning and I thought it was going to be adapted by ufotable.. I was completely surprised when I read that SHAFT is going to adapt Fate/Extra.

Why? They did the F/E CCC OP. And it fits the tone of the work and the wordy nature of the work.

In fact before it ever became a reality most of franchise veterans long since discussed that if F/E adaptation would ever happen it would HAVE to be Shaft.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SHAFT but I would have preferred the high quality animation by ufotable.

Ufotable has not done anything high quality since Fate/Zero. And fate franchise is not about explosions. Ufotable does not have any means to portray the very wordy narrative and character introspection required.

Overall too, while ufotable has had quite polished productions(KNK and FZ) their last two works (UfoUBW and God Eater) are absolute failures both in terms of cinematography, choreography AND animation quality.Hell, ufoubw pretty much proves why F/E should NOT ever go into the hands of ufotable.

SHAFT has consistently brought up innovative and creative cinematography and directing, great choreography when it is needed and most of their works are all about portraying character inner thoughts and monologues. Which fate cranchise is all about

And Five seconds of kizumonogatari already blow everything ufo ever did out of water anyway.
AhenshihaelApr 30, 2016 8:50 AM
Apr 30, 2016 10:18 AM
Jul 2015
Fai said:

And Five seconds of kizumonogatari already blow everything ufo ever did out of water anyway.

Give Hirao a 5 year to do a movie and he will blow Kizumonogatari(an exaggeration but you get the point)

Kizu is not Shaft standard quality and has taken their best director(Oishi) and best animator(Imamura) for years, Owarimonogatari was badly animated and every monogatari seires was a downgrade from Bake.

also please give me a shaft tv series that have better animation/art than UBW in last 3 years ? because you know while Ufo have GE shaft also have Mekaku

Both are great studios and have some great in-house talent but their scheduling and partnership with Aniplex and Bandai for Ufo in the last years drained them.
Dab1za9Apr 30, 2016 10:21 AM
Apr 30, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2007
Dab1za9 said:
Fai said:

Give Hirao a 5 year to do a movie and he will blow Kizumonogatari(an exaggeration but you get the point)

Kizu is not Shaft standard quality and has taken their best director(Oishi) and best animator(Imamura) for years, Owarimonogatari was badly animated and every monogatari seires was a downgrade from Bake.

also please give me a shaft tv series that have better animation/art than UBW in last 3 years ? because you know while Ufo have GE shaft also have Mekaku

Both are great studios and have some great in-house talent but their scheduling and partnership with Aniplex and Bandai for Ufo in the last years drained them.

Even Mekaku had some very good shots despite being arguably Shaft's worst.

Ufo does have budget, I already said that. But SHaft USES what they have in far better ways. Having a lot of money thrown at the animation is not all that decides the quality. Let's not forget that the only legitimately good canon-accurate FSN fight comes from relatively smaller studio, with way smaller budget and less known work. They did not have even fraction of Ufo's budget yet managed to have way better choreography and actually research and accurately portray the way the said character would move instead of just doing straight 1:1 adaptation. Sometimes less is more. Not to mention that most of scenes in monogatari flow far better than most of scenes in ufoubw and are more visually pleasing, despite being smaller budget too.

As I said, UFo can have quite polished productions(then again they also had an absurd amount of money being poured from aniplex to their fate works that dwarfs possibly even kizu budget), but so far they are struggling with internalized narrative format of nasuverse. Even KNK, despite being their most perfect adaptation, lost quite a bit at the times. And once they took on a work which relies entirely on first person narrative, it all fell apart.

People often make this assumption that Ufotable are some "saviors" of anime industry, just because they have Aniplex pour gazillions of dollars into their projects. THe assumption that "Something adapted by ufotable would be better" that the post I quoted made is completely flawed. GE was adapted by ufotable. Yet it managed to somehow become even worse than already quite meh game(as in it literally had nothing going for it but it's art style). Ufo Is NOT the only studio who can produce something mindblowing. In fact Ufo CAN consistently fail at that. Shaft can be in no way "worse" than ufo at visual spectacle and CAN produce visually breath-taking things , hence the Kizumonogatari comparison.

Its not about who is better, but who is better fit. Ufotable is okay for visual spectacle(even though the likes of KyoAni can make way better explosions), but struggle with the spectacle of the mind. Sometimes having thousands of explosions is just not what is needed for franchise.

Despite shortcomings and problems, the one thing Shaft ALWAYS does real well is character introspection, creative use of monologues and well directed conversations. Which is the very basis of a lot of nasuverse works, especially F/E.

For example I can totally imagine Mahoyo or Apocrypha adaptation by Ufo being quite good. It requires a lot of money to pull off and narrative-wise both are more of simple works with more traditional protagonists with story more reliant on visual spectacle than deep exploration of philosophical themes and the human mind, so they would benefit from Ufo's grand explosion action. Yet at the same time Ufo are unfit for Fate franchise for most part and I literally can't imagine anyone but SHAFT working on F/E. For that case I would also LOVE to have Tsukihime by SHAFT handled in the way Monogatari is by having multiple adaptations of each route. And I can't imagine ufo handling in any way that is good and does not lose the character focused psychological tone of the work. At the same time while I love Bones to death, I literally for the death of me can't imagine a nasuverse work handled by them ever.
AhenshihaelApr 30, 2016 10:58 AM
Apr 30, 2016 10:59 AM
Apr 2015
Surprised it's going to be Shaft
Apr 30, 2016 11:03 AM
Jul 2015
@Fai

God Eater also had some nice shots but that doesn't change that both projects were trainwreck.

and no one know anything about the budget of ufotable shows nor shaft for all i know it might be average but they can actually make pretty looking show with it and Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene is better looking than Fate series anyway ,and just compare PA shows with Fate/zero(both have Studio Easter as Background studio) Ufotable show just looks better because their photography and coloring team is better(I honestly think Yuichi Terao is the main reason Ufo shows looks that good).

But yeah i agree Shaft is better for Extra.
Apr 30, 2016 11:07 AM

Jul 2007
Dab1za9 said:
@Fai

God Eater also had some nice shots but that doesn't change that both projects were trainwreck.

and no one know anything about the budget of ufotable shows nor shaft for all i know it might be average but they can actually make pretty looking show with it and Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene is better looking than Fate series anyway ,and just compare PA shows with Fate/zero(both have Studio Easter as Background studio) Ufotable show just looks better because their photography and coloring team is better(I honestly think Yuichi Terao is the main reason Ufo shows looks that good).

But yeah i agree Shaft is better for Extra.

There were budgeting details for first few UfoUBW episodes touted around during panels. We also know for sure that the budget for ufoubw was way bigger than for F/Z. FZ was ufo on relatively normal budget since as they themselves admitted they did not expect it to sell as good.

ANd yeah as I said, I would trust the parts of nasuverse that hinge on more outward simpler narrative and visual spectacle(ex: mahoyo) to Ufo for sure. But that does not mean that they are suddenly a perfect fit for every work ever.

Kind of my point? Expecting ufoubw to be saviors who make everything way better is ridiculous. There are stories and narrative forms that just don't work with some studios, writers, directors(ex: Mizushima directed both Another and Shirobako, which still blows my mind).
Apr 30, 2016 11:15 AM

Nov 2013
Mfw Fate is lucky enough that the fans fight over Ufo/Shaft to produce an anime for it, meanwhile certain battle shounen titles sit in the corner with salty fans because they got Toei ;_;
Apr 30, 2016 11:26 AM
Jul 2015
Fai said:

There were budgeting details for first few UfoUBW episodes touted around during panels. We also know for sure that the budget for ufoubw was way bigger than for F/Z. FZ was ufo on relatively normal budget since as they themselves admitted they did not expect it to sell as good.

Source? Kondo was dodging any question regarding the budget and production schedule during the last AnimeExpo and i have been looking for a long time about Ufotable financial information but never found anything. and even if your are right the fact that Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene is their best production in years tells that Money isnt important and i guess Yuri Seijin Naoko-san too. unless they like wasting money on unknown projects.
Jun 8, 2016 7:07 AM
Mar 2016
Botato said:
Mfw Fate is lucky enough that the fans fight over Ufo/Shaft to produce an anime for it, meanwhile certain battle shounen titles sit in the corner with salty fans because they got Toei ;_;
Aahahaha Naruto fans XD
Jun 8, 2016 3:26 PM

May 2008
shanimebib said:
Dab1za9 said:

Actually, now the back design looks rather acceptable. Thanks for the pic.

Well, every new Saber design gets slightly more sexualized than the last.
Jun 9, 2016 3:25 AM

Jul 2007
NanoZero said:

They sure do, but that has nothing to do on why she looks like that. She is the only "clone" that actually has a personality and is not there to amass neets.
Jun 9, 2016 3:50 AM

Nov 2013
Fai said:
NanoZero said:

They sure do, but that has nothing to do on why she looks like that. She is the only "clone" that actually has a personality and is not there to amass neets.
Having a personality and pandering aren't mutually exclusive, you know.
Jun 9, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2007
Botato said:
Fai said:

Having a personality and pandering aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Everything is pandering. Literally anything and everything appeals to someone. Having Saber with cleavage here is just as pandery as having robotic emotionless original Saber, just to different tastes.

The importance and difference is to have a meaning behind it. And Red Saber's appearance is meaningful and has a purpose. She does not look that way just for the sake of looking that way. Unlike most of latter Sabers and servants getting...more and more...otaku-pandery solely for the sake of it.
Jun 9, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2015
After reading the synopsis, isn't this the same as the other Fates but with different characters? Person meets servant and they fight for survival?
HecticLeoJun 9, 2016 11:56 AM
Jun 9, 2016 10:25 AM

Aug 2009

Well certainly, considering this was a promo for Fate/Extra CCC, Nero definitely doesnt look how she is solely for otaku-pandering.
Jun 9, 2016 10:53 AM

Jul 2007
HecticLeo said:
After reading the synopsis, isn't this the same has the other Fates but with different characters? Person meets servant and they fight for survival?

Yes and no.
Its even less of a true "war" than the other ones. Its not even technically the focus and jus tlike with other fate franchise works, the war is more of a backdrop, with the focus being a sort of an ongoing mystery surrounding the events that protagonist has to solve in order to understand wtf is going on.

Although yes, Fate franchise usually involves grail war and servants somehow, just like Tsukihime always involves vampires.

Thinking fate is about "fighting for survival" or a "death game" is ridiculous and would only disappoint people as its an assumption that its a story focusing on having lots of deaths.
AhenshihaelJun 9, 2016 11:00 AM
Jun 9, 2016 11:58 AM

Sep 2015
Fai said:

Thinking fate is about "fighting for survival" or a "death game" is ridiculous and would only disappoint people as its an assumption that its a story focusing on having lots of deaths.

I've only watched Zero and UBW so that's all I have to go by, a death game over a cup. lol Interesting, if it's not the same then that makes me pretty hyped to watch this when it comes.
Jun 9, 2016 12:51 PM

Aug 2009
HecticLeo said:
Fai said:

I've only watched Zero and UBW so that's all I have to go by, a death game over a cup. lol Interesting, if it's not the same then that makes me pretty hyped to watch this when it comes.

It is the same but with a few differences.
Different reward instead of the grail, more Servants, more Masters, different rules, a disappointing "villain" and even more disappointing final boss Servant, and an MC that ,at least in the game, has no personality for most of the story.
Jun 9, 2016 12:58 PM

Jul 2007
HecticLeo said:
Fai said:

Zero is meant to be tragic(because its basically story about idiots), but since in the watch order its pretty much last, you already know the fates of all characters they are walking towards, so that kind of defeats the point of death game set up.
Any sort of "this is death game" illusion on UBW is solely adaptation's fault. UBW was supposed to be a deeply personal story, mainly focusing on the MC's philosophy, worldview and issues, as well as his interactions and snarky banter with secondary mc. It should have been more of KNK or Monogatari and way way way less Zero.

F/e if done correctly should be a lot more surreal and introspective. It also has just an interesting MC ( altho ufoubw does ont exactly succeed at showing why FSN's mc was interesting) with unique characterization and interesting psychological issues. IT also has a very different and more surreal setting and some very nice exploration into humanity and human society.

Knowing FSN and F/Z stories also provides some very nice contrasts.

Visually it will most likely be highly stylized and surrealistic since the game is too. Hopefully it will be at least somewhat visually close to the way Shaft handled F/E CCC OP
AhenshihaelJun 9, 2016 1:26 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.