Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2016 5:53 PM

Jun 2014
If you took math courses util high school or college, what was the most advanced math course you took?

Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry? Pre-calculus? Calculus? Differential Equations? Linear Algebra? Analysis? Etc.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 2016 5:54 PM

Nov 2013
IB HL Further math study in high school, not sure what's that equilvant to but it's like two course after BC calc
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Apr 18, 2016 5:59 PM

Jul 2013
Calculus. Statistics is a close second. I fucking hate math.
Apr 18, 2016 6:11 PM

Oct 2015
I took Calculus my junior year, so that's the highest I took. Didn't take any my senior year in High School. I also took stats the year before that.
Apr 18, 2016 6:20 PM

Aug 2014
Something we called Algebra 3/4. Math is my all time biggest weakness.
But you can be smart without it, riiiiight?
Apr 18, 2016 6:26 PM

Mar 2015
Currently in my final year of high school and taking the hardest course there is for maths (in my country at least). Much regret.
Apr 18, 2016 6:27 PM

Jan 2009
calculus both differential and integral
i got 91% on differential calculus but only 80% on integral calculus (man integral calculus is tough)
now i suck at all math because of my disability
Apr 18, 2016 6:46 PM
Oct 2010
If you don't count seminar courses, I think a topics course in etale cohomology was the highest level (and toughest) course I had.
Apr 18, 2016 6:48 PM

Jul 2015
algebra, calculus, discrete math were taught
too bad am remember almost nothing of it now
Apr 18, 2016 7:01 PM

Oct 2013
Calculus, but since it was too abstract I really didn't care
Apr 18, 2016 7:03 PM

Jan 2015
The one where it stopped using numbers and moved towards symbols.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 18, 2016 7:17 PM

Mar 2008
I've only taken up to algebra. It's bee so long since Ive done it I dont remember much.
Apr 18, 2016 7:21 PM

Mar 2016
Pre-calc LOL

Where my fellow math noobs at?
Apr 18, 2016 7:32 PM

Jun 2010
Calc 2, since it's a prerequisite for literally everything. Oh, and stats.

I like how all your teachers and profs say that you'll need calculus not matter what career path you choose (especially if it's in the sciences or engineering). I haven't even done anything remotely calc-related since Calc 2. But I agree that stats can come in handy regardless of your career choice.
Apr 18, 2016 9:07 PM

Apr 2016
Algebra 2 in high school. I barely passed. I hated math/science. I was always a history/English kinda guy.
Apr 18, 2016 9:15 PM

Mar 2016
took all of them but hardest for me was Differential Equations. had to take it twice. damn diffeq, i hate you
Apr 18, 2016 9:33 PM

Apr 2015
Partial differential equations, although there's probably still worse to come.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 18, 2016 9:43 PM

Nov 2013
Maths is my favourite subject even though I'm not amazingly good at it! Took all the classes. My favourite was Calculus Integrals and Differential Equations. I could solve sums for hours and not get bored of doing it.
3D Geometry on the other hand, damn.I had to really work hard to do well in my exams. Even after all that, I haven't the slightest clue about this course
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2016 9:51 PM

May 2014
Currently a junior in high school taking Calculus BC. Not sure when I'll stop since I do want to major in engineering.
Apr 18, 2016 9:52 PM

Sep 2014
Probably Calculus. Had a 76% on it during my Senior year, but I haven't learned shit.
Apr 18, 2016 9:53 PM

Jun 2015
Well, I'm about to graduate university with a math degree... so...

Apr 18, 2016 9:58 PM

Jul 2015
My last one was in middle school . I think it was algebra,geometry,trigonometry .(at the level of a 8th grader ofc)
Apr 18, 2016 10:11 PM
Oct 2010
Yuna said:

I like how all your teachers and profs say that you'll need calculus not matter what career path you choose (especially if it's in the sciences or engineering). I haven't even done anything remotely calc-related since Calc 2. But I agree that stats can come in handy regardless of your career choice.

Statistics are indeed much more widely used than Calculus, and probabilistic inference is a mental skill that everyone should possess; it is unbelievable that more focus is not given to it.

But I find it confusing when you say you have not done anything remotely calc-related, as a scientist/engineer (am I misunderstanding?). Surely there is no way to model anything without an effective Taylor approximation, Fourier methods, numerical integration, derivative estimates, etc. which are all based on calculus concepts.
Apr 18, 2016 10:15 PM

Jul 2013
As soon as a I had the chance to drop it at 11th grade, I did.

I was so fucken glad that I no longer had to do math.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 18, 2016 10:29 PM

Jun 2010
hentai_proxy said:
Yuna said:

Statistics are indeed much more widely used than Calculus, and probabilistic inference is a mental skill that everyone should possess; it is unbelievable that more focus is not given to it.

But I find it confusing when you say you have not done anything remotely calc-related, as a scientist/engineer (am I misunderstanding?). Surely there is no way to model anything without an effective Taylor approximation, Fourier methods, numerical integration, derivative estimates, etc. which are all based on calculus concepts.

What I meant is that your high school teachers/university professors often tell you that calculus is bound to show up if you decide to pursue a career in the sciences or in engineering.

But I guess "sciences" is a too general of a term. I did my undergraduate in the life sciences and now I'm doing a pharmacy degree. I have yet to apply calculus in anything that I've learned since taking the course itself.
Apr 18, 2016 10:42 PM

Feb 2015
I did a 3rd year maths course in uni that predominantly covered functions of complex numbers. It was a nightmare. I'll take linear algebra and Laplace transformations over that insanity any day of the week.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 18, 2016 11:15 PM
Apr 2013
The last course where I got a decent score was level 2 Analysis at university, I have also taken a level 3 analysis course and coding/cryptology with lower results and I am now taking level 3 graph theory will see how that goes.
Apr 18, 2016 11:46 PM
Jun 2013
Matrix , Fourier Series , Laplace theorem , Sets , etc

My Brain has gone numb thinking about them >_<
Apr 19, 2016 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
Uh? Something resembling calculus / math models or whatever it's called. I dropped out and took my equivalency before i dared touch algebra 2.
Apr 19, 2016 12:59 AM

Oct 2012
I'm in applied mathematics so I gotta go even higher than I'm currently at.

I'm doing differential equations and linear algebra atm.
Apr 19, 2016 1:42 AM

Nov 2015
Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry? Pre-calculus? Calculus? Differential Equations? Linear Algebra? Analysis?

All of them, actually. But I don't know how it works in America or whatnot but I'm doing A Levels so there's that. (syllabus code: 9709)
Apr 19, 2016 6:48 AM

Oct 2011
Differential Equations.

After that, most of my subjects are mostly engineering related and involves a combination of math, physics, and chemistry.
Apr 19, 2016 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Physics is technically a science course, but it's a really fucking mathy science course.
Actual math class wise, Calculous
Apr 19, 2016 7:25 AM

May 2015
Junior in high school, currently taking Statistics with Calculus AB and BC to follow. Considering I'm going into engineering, I will probably be taking much more in the future.
Apr 19, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2009
All Calculus course in uni. since it is mandatory. I remember failing the second course once, had to retake it the next year :/

Also the statistics and probabilities courses, and the Discrete Math course, I've been through hell.. lucky enough I found most of the other courses as interesting and fun that I keep up with my study.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 24, 2016 4:03 PM

Mar 2016
Sora_no_Umi said:
IB HL Further math study in high school, not sure what's that equilvant to but it's like two course after BC calc

Lucky bastard. My school "offers" it but that class has not been given in years.

So is it BC calc + other stuff or does it start where BC ends?
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 24, 2016 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
Differential Equations

Almost took PDE to get the math minor but I'm burned out on integrals :/
Sep 24, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
ashishkaull said:

But Laplace transforms are so much fun!
Sep 24, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2012
Math nice joke there , sadly for u i am not an Asian.

Sep 24, 2016 4:35 PM

Sep 2016
Statistic, I guess? I'm pretty math-retarded personally. Same for math-based sciences like Physics.

I've always been a humanities person. History, psychology, language. I'm not college educated so most of what I know has been self taught over the years, and I don't really have any interest in teaching myself mathematics. Although learning about mathematicians (Srinivasa Ramanujan!) can be a blast.
Sep 24, 2016 5:04 PM

May 2014
Oh man, addition and subtraction is one of the hardest things Ive done so far
I've been here way too long...
Sep 24, 2016 9:38 PM
Jun 2013
Enishi- said:
ashishkaull said:

But Laplace transforms are so much fun!

Not for me , lol

Had no clue about how to solve them .
Sep 24, 2016 10:46 PM

Nov 2013
Fred457 said:
Sora_no_Umi said:

Lucky bastard. My school "offers" it but that class has not been given in years.

Well, you cant really compare it to the ap curiculum.
In terms of the ib curiculum, there are topics that you have to cover in hl math. Hl 1 and 2 covers all the required topics and there are like 4 or some additional optional topics, which is what further math teaches. It covers a whole range of topics. I dont quite remeber all of it, but i remeber a lot of linear algebra, geometry, number theory, and a bunch of others (these were either the hardest or funniest for me, that's y i remeber them). It sounds really simple when you see the word geometry and algebra, and you would probably think something along the lines of "oh that must be easy, i learned them when i was in middle school!" Well to be fair, you wouldnt be too far off, because the curriculum is built off of that. HOWEVER, the diffculty level of the question is incomparable. The questions were honestly so hard and my teacher often gets stuck on the question with us.

Our class size was really small, like single digit small, so it was really fun, but the diffculty and stress it couldve produced would be really hard to handle unless you love math, which i do.

The course might not be given because not enough people take it. I was fortunated enough to live in a fairly competitive school district, so at least some people sogned up.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 24, 2016 10:49 PM

Nov 2013
Fred457 said:
Sora_no_Umi said:

More curious on how you found thos dead thread...
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 24, 2016 10:49 PM

Sep 2009
Some sort of linear calculus class or something.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 24, 2016 10:53 PM

Mar 2016
Sora_no_Umi said:
Fred457 said:

Well, you cant really compare it to the ap curiculum.
In terms of the ib curiculum, there are topics that you have to cover in hl math. Hl 1 and 2 covers all the required topics and there are like 4 or some additional optional topics, which is what further math teaches. It covers a whole range of topics. I dont quite remeber all of it, but i remeber a lot of linear algebra, geometry, number theory, and a bunch of others (these were either the hardest or funniest for me, that's y i remeber them). It sounds really simple when you see the word geometry and algebra, and you would probably think something along the lines of "oh that must be easy, i learned them when i was in middle school!" Well to be fair, you wouldnt be too far off, because the curriculum is built off of that. HOWEVER, the diffculty level of the question is incomparable. The questions were honestly so hard and my teacher often gets stuck on the question with us.

Our class size was really small, like single digit small, so it was really fun, but the diffculty and stress it couldve produced would be really hard to handle unless you love math, which i do.

The course might not be given because not enough people take it. I was fortunated enough to live in a fairly competitive school district, so at least some people sogned up.

Yeah I took a look at the syllabus provided by ib and it looked like that.
I do remember one of my math teachers saying math hl was for people who want to do math everyday and i would have been fine with it
As far as class size went I know that at least 4 of my class including myself signed up but the school refused as usual
Sora_no_Umi said:

More curious on how you found thos dead thread...

Honestly cant remember tbh
I just remember finding it
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 24, 2016 10:53 PM
Mar 2015
The hardest math that I did were some applications of calculus and fourier transformations. I especially hated the fourier stuff.
lequackSep 24, 2016 11:04 PM
Sep 24, 2016 10:59 PM

Feb 2014
Highest level I took was Multi-variable Calculus.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Oct 7, 2016 2:03 AM
Nov 2013
Linear Algebra. Or Numerical Analysis.

I don't know how it's like at other parts of the world, but linear algebra (maybe just my uni) is split up in three levels- the cutesy one that only involves matrices, the second one which is a weed out class and involves proofs, and the third one which is a pain in the ass and involves so much proofs by induction and contradiction. Hate that stuff man.

And numerical analysis is numerical analysis. R99 gg m8

Being a math major is seriously something...
Oct 7, 2016 2:14 AM

Sep 2011
I think Differential Equations and Linear Algebra were the last designated math classes I had to take.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» WHO THE FUCK IS FUNDING ALL THOSE HERO WARS ADS YOU SEE ON LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE

vasipi4946 - 17 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - 3 hours ago

5 by Rhae »»
55 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

731 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - Yesterday

22 by kusairo »»
3 hours ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - May 2

38 by JKKH »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.