Forum Settings
Forums

Has a "Kids" Anime ever truly impressed you?

New
Sep 30, 2015 3:25 PM

Jul 2015
I've seen a few different Anime series aimed for children, and some have managed to remain very enjoyable despite containing simple or less mature subject matter. I'm curious if anyone has ever been impressed by a children's anime to the same level and with similar feelings as anime focused for older audiences.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 30, 2015 3:28 PM

Mar 2015
most of doraemon movie extreamly repetative. but each of them give feels in their own way and it's really well done job. i don't understand how they do it. that's why each doraemon movie will aired in my local television, i always watch it. too many movie to list TBH.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 30, 2015 3:35 PM

Aug 2008
Akage no Anne has great themes and explores them graciously. It left a great impression on me. Although I have to rewatch it soon. Most anime in the World Masterpiece Theater is excellent and worth watching, as they are adaptations of classical children's books and have an above average quality in story telling.

Cardcaptor Sakura is really big on me. Maybe because it got me into anime, but even now when I rewatch it I enjoy seeing every little detail and the character's development which was so nicely done.

Some will argue that Kemono no souja erin may also be targeted towards children, but it surprised me in every aspect. I can honestly say it's one of my favourite stories and one example of excelent story telling. Shame it had a low budget and thus it had to reuse the same footage over and over again
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2013
Majin Bone, the action was dope.
Gotta start precure some day too, but there's so many :O
Sep 30, 2015 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
Lain_ said:
Akage no Anne has great themes and explores them graciously. It left a great impression on me. Although I have to rewatch it soon.
Cardcaptor Sakura is really big on me. Maybe because it got me into anime, but even now when I rewatch it I enjoy seeing every little detail and the character's development which was so nicely done.

Some will argue that Kemono no souja erin may also be targeted towards children, but it surprised me in every aspect. I can honestly say it's one of my favourite stories and one example of excelent story telling. Shame it had a low budget and thus it had to reuse the same footage over and over again
You just named a classy (that were maybe first targeted to children but with time have gained another status), Erin that is doubtfully included here and Cardcaptor that might be among the best that are truly tagged as "Kids". I guess OP was expecting something more extreme
Sep 30, 2015 3:41 PM

Jul 2011
Tamers
Sep 30, 2015 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette is one of the most gripping and morally meaningful anime I've come across despite being aimed at little girls.

Aikatsu! is actually a great deal inspiring and I'm a man in my 20s. In some respects, it's essentially cute girls doing cute things without unnecessary fan-service and I can always trust it to stay wholesome and heartwarming given its popularity and target audience. It was also around episode 15 that it started to put a smile on my face every single episode. It lights up my world and has very relatable themes that are simple but relevant.
Sep 30, 2015 3:44 PM

Aug 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette is one of the most gripping and morally meaningful anime I've come across despite being aimed at little girls.

It's also included in the World Masterpiece Theater =3
All of them are worth watching
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 3:46 PM

Jul 2015
Lain_ said:
Akage no Anne has great themes and explores them graciously. It left a great impression on me. Although I have to rewatch it soon. Most anime in the World Masterpiece Theater is excellent and worth watching, as they are adaptations of classical children's books and have an above average quality in story telling.

I'm actually in the process of watching Akage no Anne right now. Only a few episodes in and I'm already extremely invested. The only thing stopping me from continuing it right away is waiting for my friend I'm watching it with to be ready again.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a big one for me too. One of my first anime as well, and one that I feel helped define my tastes in anime overall. It's definitely an anime I had in mind when making this thread for sure.

Lordwen said:
I guess OP was expecting something more extreme

Don't really know what gave you that idea... :P
BenienmaSep 30, 2015 3:50 PM
Sep 30, 2015 3:51 PM

Sep 2014
Digimon Tamers was pretty dark, gritty and mature for having a child demographic.

Princess Tutu is also amazing (not entirely sure if it was intended to be a kid's show or not though? It certainly feels like one however). It wasn't your typical magical girl formula, and it had such an unconventional, bitter-sweet ending.
Sep 30, 2015 3:52 PM

Aug 2008
Lordwen said:
Lain_ said:
[spoiler]Akage no Anne has great themes and explores them graciously. It left a great impression on me. Although I have to rewatch it soon.

[/spoiler]You just named a classy (that were maybe first targeted to children but with time have gained another status), Erin that is doubtfully included here and Cardcaptor that might be among the best that are truly tagged as "Kids". I guess OP was expecting something more extreme

Yes, I also do not think Erin is aimed towards children, even if it was made 'lighter' and more suitable for younger audiences than the book that originated it.
Many anime that's targeted toward children in Japan it's hard to find subbed like Chibi Maruko-chan and Crayon Shin-chan (which many of us have watched as dubs that were highly censored or different from the original version). From what I've seen from those shows they also impress me for the intelligent jokes on japanese society and social critique (similar to some Simpsons episodes).

Digimon Tamers also has some deeper themes (as Konaka Chiaki was involved in production), with some nice character deconstruction. But as a Digimon series I didn't enjoy it much because it diverged a lot of the previous Digimon franchise.

but yeah...if you use the tag 'kids' in MAL you'll see a bunch of shows that you can't find subbed and that I'd love to check because I know I'd love some of them
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 3:54 PM

Aug 2008
listbot said:
These are some Edu Channel Anime:

• Yadamon
  • 12 Kingdoms
  • Uninhabited planet Survive!
  • MAJOR
  • Dennou Coil
  • Moribito Series
  • Alison
  • Erin
  • Giant Killing
  • Bakuman
  • Moshidora
  • Nadia
  • Log Horizon

- targeted at younger audiences and teenagers
but not really 'kids' as the OP mentions. or at least that's what I think
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 3:54 PM

Jun 2015
Mystifire said:
Lordwen said:
I guess OP was expecting something more extreme

I just see you have Princess Tutu in On-hold with 0 episodes seen, so I don't know what does that mean, if you actually started watching it or not. But if it could be considered as a Kids anime, it'd be my recommendation.

It has charismatic characters, the aftertaste is good (I felt well after watching the episodes for some reason), it is visually well executed, the soundtrack is nice and the plot is not as pink as it might seem at first sight (the deconstruction isn't as exaggerated as in Madoka tho, but it's a well-done allegory)
Sep 30, 2015 3:55 PM

Aug 2008
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Digimon Tamers was pretty dark, gritty and mature for having a child demographic.

Princess Tutu is also amazing (not entirely sure if it was intended to be a kid's show or not though? It certainly feels like one however). It wasn't your typical magical girl formula, and it had such an unconventional, bitter-sweet ending.

Yeah...Princess Tutu is not intended to be a kids show.
It's a bit like Kemono no Souja Erin.
While they start somewhat childish they develop into something bigger and more mature.
絶対大丈夫だよ

Mar 2015
One piece impressed me quite a bit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 2012
Praland said:
Tamers
Adventure
Sep 30, 2015 4:01 PM

Jan 2014
One Piece comes to mind(think that's a kid show?)

Sep 30, 2015 4:01 PM

Jul 2015
Lordwen said:
Mystifire said:

I just see you have Princess Tutu in On-hold with 0 episodes seen, so I don't know what does that mean, if you actually started watching it or not. But if it could be considered as a Kids anime, it'd be my recommendation.

It has charismatic characters, the aftertaste is good (I felt well after watching the episodes for some reason), it is visually well executed, the soundtrack is nice and the plot is not as pink as it might seem at first sight (the deconstruction isn't as exaggerated as in Madoka tho, but it's a well-done allegory)

Most things in my On Hold are stuff I have started or even completed a long time ago, but I want to rewatch from the start again for a fresh perspective. I don't really use it the same way most other people do. Princess Tutu is on high priority for me though to revisit though, that's for sure.
Sep 30, 2015 4:03 PM

Jun 2015
Lain_ said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Yeah...Princess Tutu is not intended to be a kids show.
It's a bit like Kemono no Souja Erin.
While they start somewhat childish they develop into something bigger and more mature.

I'm glad to see my expectations of Erin are on the right track.

listbot said:
Don't underestimate kids.
Well, when I was a kid I was watching Utena, FLCL, Fushigi Yuugi... I learned quickly the meaning of "who cares about demographics".
Sep 30, 2015 4:06 PM

May 2014
Many Doraemon stuff especially Grandmother's Recollection
I also really enjoyed Ganba no Bouken, but too bad it's not subbed :p
Sep 30, 2015 4:08 PM

Mar 2015
Itachi said:
One Piece comes to mind(think that's a kid show?)

It seems they are trying to attract a lot of kids now days with there lack of gore and childish Fruits.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2015 4:12 PM

Aug 2008
listbot said:

Nadia is for kids
Bakuman is ok for 10+
Erin, UPS and Coil are kids centered
Moshidora and many of them have no lower age limit.
Don't underestimate kids.
Some of them calculate much faster than me.

I don't underestimate kids...it's just they are not meant for kids.
I mean, I watched Rose of Versailles, Ayashi no Ceres and Rurouni kenshin as a kid but I know they're not really targeted at kids. Just that. I think OP was asking for stuff actually meant for kids and not 'shounen' or 'shoujo

Although yes, Dennou Coil is for kids. Nadia is rated as pg 13 or older- so same as shounen and shoujo series that are target to prepubescent and adolescents
LainSep 30, 2015 4:17 PM
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 4:13 PM

Jun 2014
jayss said:
Praland said:
Tamers
Adventure
+1
Sep 30, 2015 4:14 PM

Aug 2013
Shugo Chara is a definite favorite. Its lessons about self-love, relationships, and life really impacted me.
Sep 30, 2015 4:17 PM

Apr 2013
absentminded said:
most of doraemon movie extreamly repetative. but each of them give feels in their own way and it's really well done job. i don't understand how they do it. that's why each doraemon movie will aired in my local television, i always watch it. too many movie to list TBH.

Indeed. Doraemon is always entertaining and reasonably well written, especially the movies.
Sep 30, 2015 4:17 PM

Jun 2015
I'm surprised nobody has said Elfen Lied yet.
Sep 30, 2015 4:20 PM

May 2015
Konjiki no Gash Bell/Zatch Bell

It looks like a kids' show, but it's got some pretty impressive stuff going on.

Sep 30, 2015 4:20 PM

Aug 2008
galimx said:
Erin doesnt really have a demographic tag, its a book adaptation. Maybe it looks like its targeted towards kids, but I really doubt.

Yes. I don't really find it childish. It was made visually suitable for kids (blood substituted for red petals falling as a symbolism, the characters are softer and nicer than in the book, Erin doesn't use some phrases that she used in the book like "Happiness is not forever" or "I learnt that I'll never be fully happy again".)
But even so, the themes aren't childish and are conducted in a very mature way
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 4:27 PM

Aug 2008
galimx said:
Lain_ said:

Yes. I don't really find it childish. It was made visually suitable for kids (blood substituted for red petals falling as a symbolism, the characters are softer and nicer than in the book, Erin doesn't use some phrases that she used in the book like "Happiness is not forever" or "I learnt that I'll never be fully happy again".)
But even so, the themes aren't childish and are conducted in a very mature way

You read the book?

No not really... They are not translated which is a shame since I'd buy them certainly if I could.
But after finishing the show I went to check the differences between the show and the books =)
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
Lordwen said:
I'm surprised nobody has said Elfen Lied yet.

Very kid friendly in my opinion.

Sep 30, 2015 4:38 PM

Aug 2008
galimx said:
Lain_ said:

No not really... They are not translated which is a shame since I'd buy them certainly if I could.
But after finishing the show I went to check the differences between the show and the books =)

The anime covers the first half of books (1 and 2) or something like that. Happy ending. Some people were not happy about that and wanted a sequel, so the author wrote more (book 3 and 4) with different ending (sad), I heard.

Yes. Although even the first two books are darker than the anime. The anime even introduced two characters as a comic relief. I really wish I could read the 4 books ;w;
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 30, 2015 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Heartcatch Precure had some awesome fights, especially in the last episodes.
Sep 30, 2015 5:13 PM

Dec 2012
Castle in the Sky
Denno Coil
From up on Poppy Hill
Nijiiro Hotaru: Eien no Natsuyasumi
Summer Wars
When Marnie was There
Whisper of the Heart
KruszerOct 1, 2015 12:33 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 30, 2015 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
I like bakugan and digimon if that means much
Sep 30, 2015 5:26 PM

Sep 2014
All anime is for kids. Black bible and avatar are the most impressive anime there is period.
Sep 30, 2015 5:30 PM

Nov 2010
Sep 30, 2015 5:33 PM

Mar 2015
Kruszer said:
Castle in the Sky
Denno Coil
From up on Poppy Hill
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Nijiiro Hotaru: Eien no Natsuyasumi
Princess Mononoke
Summer Wars
When Marnie was There
Whisper of the Heart

I dont think this is for kids... there are more than a few dismembered limbs
The more time you spend on MAL, the less time you're actually watching anime.
Sep 30, 2015 5:37 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Ghibli movies like Totoro, and WMT anime.

Lain_ said:

Great choices. In the case of Akage no Anne, it made me read the whole book series. I'd recommend it.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Sep 30, 2015 5:38 PM

Apr 2009
Soul Eater
Sep 30, 2015 6:05 PM

Aug 2015
It may sound morbid, but I wish the tsunami and earth-quakes would have destroyed most of Nippon and put an end to the anime "industry." Maybe then anime could return to its whole-some roots. Anime has steadily be-come more obscene since the nineteen nineties and the vulgar herd rejects any-thing decent and couth.
Sep 30, 2015 6:15 PM

Jul 2014
Ginga E Kickoff!!!! Fantastic story, adorable characters that are all really well done.
Sep 30, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2012
Shirokuma Cafe, although marked as Josei, has impressed me.
Sep 30, 2015 6:35 PM
Sep 2011
Ojamajo Doremi is probably the most impressive kids show I've ever seen.

Not just because it has episodes where it tackles subjects you don't normally see in kids shows, such as suicide or divorce.

While the plot of each season is very minimal the show makes up for it with some pretty fantastic character development. Even the minor background characters, like the classmates and teachers, get their own focus and fleshing out as the protagonists try to help them out with their problems.

Another great thing is the fact that a handful of the problems that take place in the show don't get resolved immediately the same episode. It takes a gradual process either over several episodes, or it reoccurs later on.
Sep 30, 2015 7:14 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yeah, Doraemon.

It's the most enjoyable anime I've ever seen in my life, always make me laugh and entertained from when I was a kid until now, and has pretty high rewatchability. That's why it took the number one spot in both my favorite anime & manga list.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 30, 2015 7:23 PM

May 2015
Adolsecent/Teen kids? Sure, I've read and watched plenty a shouju and shonen. I say Ghilbi films fall more under family than anything else, so that too.

But full Doraemon? Full Digimon, Pokemon, Boo-Boo-Boy? Not a big impression, no.

Tefnod said:
It may sound morbid, but I wish the tsunami and earth-quakes would have destroyed most of Nippon and put an end to the anime "industry." Maybe then anime could return to its whole-some roots. Anime has steadily be-come more obscene since the nineteen nineties and the vulgar herd rejects any-thing decent and couth.

wtf? troll, bad joke or psychopath? unsure.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 30, 2015 7:27 PM

Nov 2008
Heartcatch Precure

Also more of the human forms in Jewelpet Magical Change are quite good

Sep 30, 2015 7:28 PM

Apr 2015
Legend Of Korra was pretty good.

It's premise always was intriguing to me.
Sep 30, 2015 7:30 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Tylaen said:
Legend Of Korra was pretty good.

It's premise always was intriguing to me.

That twist ending.....

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 30, 2015 8:06 PM
Feb 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
Aikatsu! is actually a great deal inspiring and I'm a man in my 20s. In some respects, it's essentially cute girls doing cute things without unnecessary fan-service and I can always trust it to stay wholesome and heartwarming given its popularity and target audience. It was also around episode 15 that it started to put a smile on my face every single episode. It lights up my world and has very relatable themes that are simple but relevant.

So much this.

Same thing with Pretty Rhythm and PriPara. All are just well-done and completely under the radar, yet they are marketed towards little girls and rightfully so. The atmospheres in all 3 are uplifting and feel-good without disappointment. You need the right mind to watch any of those types of shows though, that is for sure. They are indeed not for everyone especially in this very ignorant and narrow-minded Western anime fanbase.

I also think Pokemon never fails with the nostalgia factor.
Sep 30, 2015 8:58 PM

Jun 2015
I'm surprised no said Crayon Shin-chan yet.

Hell its marketed as an elementary kids show!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 13 minutes ago

2 by yulkuz »»
23 seconds ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows?

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

42 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

149 by DreamingBeats »»
5 minutes ago

» Why doesn't most psychological anime explore the psyche of their characters?

Deathlydash - 8 hours ago

11 by mshfqtny »»
7 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 20

45 by Quadruple_Oi »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.