Oct 4, 2013 3:02 PM

Dec 2011
Mrameez said:
Same guy from the other thread??

Ikanimo...

wuhu the NTR lover... desu~
Oct 4, 2013 3:24 PM

Feb 2010
This more than Golden Time. Golden Time not at all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 4, 2013 3:25 PM

Aug 2007
Unrequited love is not NTR. Jesus.
Oct 4, 2013 3:27 PM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
This more than Golden Time. Golden Time not at all.
I agree.

Though this isn't really NTR either. The main character is obviously a tsundere who's never confessed his feelings.
Oct 4, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2012
peacecraft said:

Fish girl is being stolen away. This is NTR.
Oct 4, 2013 3:44 PM

Nov 2010
Shuhan said:
peacecraft said:

She was never his so she isn't being stolen away. This isn't NTR.
Oct 4, 2013 3:45 PM

Jun 2007
Misuse of the term NTR is on the rise I see.

This season is going to be like when OMK first got translated. NTR requires an established couple - as it's just being cheated on/cuckolded. And unless you're a stalker with delusions - that girl you like but are not in a factual romantic relationship with is not someone who could 'cheat on you' because NTR factually can't exist outside of an established canonical officially-going-out couple.
TallonKarrde23Oct 4, 2013 3:50 PM
Oct 4, 2013 3:49 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Shuhan said:
peacecraft said:

MC loves her, she is being stolen by landboy. When your loved ones are stolen from you it is considered NTR. This is NTR.
Oct 4, 2013 3:50 PM

Jun 2007
Shuhan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Shuhan said:
peacecraft said:

MC loves her, she is being stolen by landboy. When your loved ones are stolen from you it is considered NTR. This is NTR.

That's not what NTR is. NTR is short for netorare - which is simply Japanese for cuckolding/cheating/adultery. Unless there is an established canonical romantic relationship between the two (aka: they are a couple), you factually can't do any of those things in any way.

Really wish the western anime/japanese-media fanbase just kept to using English terminology. Switching over to NTR/Netorare just confuses people who don't understand that it is literally just cheating - and you can't be cheated on by someone you are not in a relationship with. They think it means some imaginary other bullshit. It doesn't.

Here's a test for you to use in the future before claiming something is NTR:
If you can't say the person is being CHEATED ON - then you can't say it's NTR.

That's it. Because netorare is only that, just a different (Japanese, who would have guessed) term for it. And unless you're a truly disturbed individual, you would never claim a person you like (but are not with) is 'cheating' on you by liking someone that isn't you.
TallonKarrde23Oct 4, 2013 3:58 PM
Oct 4, 2013 3:52 PM

Nov 2010
Shuhan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Shuhan said:
peacecraft said:

What Tallon says. Unless they are going out, she can't be taken.
Oct 4, 2013 3:54 PM

Aug 2012
I haven't seen it, but this is basically (from the sound of it) unrequited/unreciprocated love + jealousy. Not sure if NTR, but I says it like I reads it.
Oct 4, 2013 3:55 PM

Jun 2011
Even if it isn't NTR by definition it still has NTR vibes.
Oct 4, 2013 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
It might not be true to the traditional definition of NTR, but it is similar to NTR. It makes you feel uncomfortable.
This is a common theme in all of Okada's works.
Oct 4, 2013 4:12 PM

Jun 2007
Shuhan said:
It might not be true to the traditional definition of NTR, but it is similar to NTR. It makes you feel uncomfortable.

Saying something is like something else does not make it that something.

It is not NTR. Do not claim it is and believe you're anything but factually and objectively wrong if all you'll do is deflect anyone calling you out for it rather than simply admitting your mistake. Backpedaling can only get you so far.

The theme you speak of is jealousy and uncomfortability - not cuckolding and thus not NTR. There is a huge difference. It's like saying the show Nana has a theme of rape because there is some uncomfortable and wrong-feeling sex that happens in it - even though it's all entirely consensual. You're blatantly misusing a term that does not even CLOSELY resemble or fit what you're talking about.

A person cannot be 'stolen' from someone if that person is not in a relationship with that someone. Unless there is a romantic commitment between the two people, then one of them can't be 'stolen', can't be cheating, can't be anything remotely close to what NTR covers.

That's simply unrequited love and the shitty feelings that come with it. The term for that is, oh, "unrequited love". Not cuckolding, not cheating, not being stolen, and not NTR or netorare.
TallonKarrde23Oct 4, 2013 4:18 PM
Oct 4, 2013 4:15 PM

Aug 2012
It looks like a love pentagon or something' like that, also this is not NTR.
Oct 4, 2013 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
jirawaa22 said:
It looks like a love pentagon or something' like that, also this is not NTR.

^
Oct 4, 2013 4:28 PM
Aug 2011
Don't know why i'm giving you the attention you don't deserve.

Also there should be a separate term for "school kids with crappy melodramatic *insert geometric figure here* ~relationship~ problems".
Oct 4, 2013 4:38 PM

Feb 2010
Well, I was going with Fakku's definition (yeah, I know):
Netorare (寝取られ), also referred to as NTR or cuckold, is a genre where the intent is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy or distress in the reader. A direct translation of the word results in the definition "having your lover taken from you" or "to have something taken from you while you sleep". This is often accomplished by having main protagonist's loved one seduced away from them, with or without their knowledge.

Which doesn't specifically state that a relationship needs to be established but instead focuses on the emotions it invokes. It sounded similar to the definition of moe so I thought it made sense.

In any case while they are not in an established relatonship in Nagi no Asukara Manaka definitely also has some lignering feelings for Hikari, at least I'm pretty sure that's they impression the creators wanted to give us and the whole childhood friends thing is like being engaged in anime anyway so it's not that far off ascribing NTR elements to the first episode.
Oct 4, 2013 4:47 PM

Jun 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
"having your lover taken from you" or "to have something taken from you while you sleep"

Which doesn't specifically state that a relationship needs to be established

Actually, both of those things do very clearly state there needs to be an established relationship.

1. A girl/boy you like is not your lover unless she is in a relationship with you. This is an inarguable fact.

2. Something that is not yours cannot be taken away from you, this means to have something taken from you would also mean you'd need that person to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is an inarguable fact. For YOU to have something taken FROM YOU - you would need ownership over that thing or a commitment from that thing to you. You do not have ownership over girls you have crushes on and they have made no commitment to you on a romantic level. Thus, they cannot be taken away from you, they aren't yours. Just like if someone steals my neighbors car, no matter how much I like that car or even if I've been allowed to drive it around the block a few times, I cannot claim I got robbed. It wasn't mine.
Oct 4, 2013 4:55 PM

Feb 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
"having your lover taken from you" or "to have something taken from you while you sleep"

Actually, both of those things do very clearly state there needs to be an established relationship. A girl/boy you like is not your lover unless she is in a relationship with you. This is an inarguable fact.

Something that is not yours cannot be taken away, this means to have something taken from you would also mean you'd need that person to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is an inarguable fact. For YOU to have something taken FROM YOU - you would need ownership over that thing. You do not have ownership over girls you have crushes on.

You do not own a person at any given time in my opinion so nitpicking on the definition like that doesn't convince me. I don't OWN my girlfriend or my friends. Be free to disagree, but don't say that it is a fact that you own your girlfriend because I'm pretty sure that's not how the law works.

Anyway, you kinda left out the part where it said that 'this is how the NTR feelings are often accomplished' before the part you quoted, which does not imply at all that these are absolutely necessary for it to count, but rather common examples on which I would not disagree.
The (in this case not low) likeliness of a future relationship can also be 'taken away while you sleep' and evoke the same emotions in the viewer.
Oct 4, 2013 5:20 PM
Jul 2013
Kinda get that jealousy vibe from this anime too. Almost like NTR, but by definition, isn't NTR. Catch the drift?

Let's hope that Hikari gets a good end then...

Wow, first time I ever feel sad for a male in an anime. Dude, you gotta make him have a good end.
Oct 4, 2013 5:25 PM

Apr 2013
Does this really need any debate? OP is trolling.

Xinception said:
Kinda get that jealousy vibe from this anime too. Almost like NTR, but by definition, isn't NTR. Catch the drift?

Wow, first time I ever feel sad for a male in an anime. Dude, you gotta make him have a good end.

Indeed. A lot of people seem to dislike him, but I'm rooting for him all the way.
Oct 4, 2013 5:33 PM

Jul 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Actually, both of those things do very clearly state there needs to be an established relationship.

1. A girl/boy you like is not your lover unless she is in a relationship with you. This is an inarguable fact.

2. Something that is not yours cannot be taken away from you, this means to have something taken from you would also mean you'd need that person to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is an inarguable fact. For YOU to have something taken FROM YOU - you would need ownership over that thing or a commitment from that thing to you. You do not have ownership over girls you have crushes on and they have made no commitment to you on a romantic level. Thus, they cannot be taken away from you, they aren't yours. Just like if someone steals my neighbors car, no matter how much I like that car or even if I've been allowed to drive it around the block a few times, I cannot claim I got robbed. It wasn't mine.

most of the series which is tagged NTR the MC is not on a relationship, now its meaning has been expanded and is no longer defined only by the origin's word so where is the true? I think it's impossible to be 100% sure
ainkyOct 4, 2013 5:38 PM
Oct 4, 2013 6:06 PM

Apr 2013
=/= ntr, but there are ntr vibes.
Oct 4, 2013 6:06 PM

Jun 2007
Okay, so we're playing the "I'm wrong but I'll say I've magically redefined the word so I'm still right" game? I'm out. I'm done. I'm not continuing after this post. Language evolves, I don't disagree, however NTR does still only adhere to the meaning of someone being cuckolded. It has never, ever, meant more than that, and still does not. You are misusing the term - telling yourself "but I CONSIDER it to mean something else" simply makes you ignorant by-choice. It does not make you right.

You're essentially acting like people who claim Shounen is a genre. You are outright being idiotic while saying it's okay because you don't accept the actual meaning of what you're saying to be true because in YOUR world it's not. Well, sorry, but this isn't 'your' world - this is fucking reality, where you do not get to choose the meaning of something on your own.

You are wrong. This is not up for debate. Netorare has never meant anything but a situation involving someone being cuckolded - not 'like being' but actually being. The "feelings" part must come from an actual cuckold. Otherwise you are not dealing with netorare.

I do enjoy seeing the modern younger generation (and I suppose other generation's uh...less fortunate types) refusing to ever be wrong though, even when they factually are - even if it means saying 'well that fact is wrong because I don't like that being a fact because it'd make me wrong!'. I get quite the laugh out of it.

Also, the ownership over someone thing I edited before your post was made because I forgot to write the rest of it originally. Essentially you must have ownership OR a commitment - you have neither from a girl you like that you aren't in a relationship with (because you can't 'own' somebody, and because she has no relationship based commitment to you). Sorry you managed to miss that.
TallonKarrde23Oct 4, 2013 6:13 PM
Oct 4, 2013 6:25 PM

Jul 2011
Xinception said:

Yep. The purpose of NTR is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy on the viewers, but from what I've seen in this first episode there is still no sign of NTR by the definition.
Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
I'm actually not trying to redefine anything, I just stated that I looked up a definition at a reasonably believable source for such things and it was more openly defined there as it is according to you. At least on Fakku there are a bunch of netorare tagged doujins that don't involve a committed relationship.
You could have just attacked the credibility of the source or said that it was plain wrong but instead you tried to twist the definition it gave to fit yours and when that didn't work out you started to throw insults and to accuse me of making up definitions and redifining the meaning of the word before ragequitting the discussion. If you'd paid attention you'd have noticed that I didn't make up the definition I gave and I'm also not involved in uploading stuff on for example Fakku under a NTR tag that doesn't adhere to your definition (that this happens is a fact by the way) so please direkt your anger or whatever it is somewhere else.
Oct 4, 2013 6:54 PM

Dec 2011
mumumumu

I'm usually telekinetic but sometimes also possess precognition, and I can see the future of this anime

the exact details were forgotten but the emotions were fully carried over, and that emotion which surfaced from watching hentai NTR was induced from this anime

and while ur girlfriend isn't exactly stolen, but the thing being taken away is the potential of her being ur girlfriend, and even the current relationship as close friend with her

so, the NTR seed is definitely there, let's see whether the stimulus is enough for it to grow splendidly~
Oct 4, 2013 7:16 PM
Oct 2012
Sourire said:
=/= ntr, but there are ntr vibes.

Only for someone so pathetic that they have to project NTR into everything.

No, this isn't NTR. First, the MC and Manaka are not in a relationship. Second, as the other male seaworld character explained, the MC sees Manaka as a daughter, not a lover (though this is what the other female character fears). Third, the MC already realizes that Manaka loves the ground person (indeed he said this the second he first saw his "rival"), so the essential element of NTR, the naive/ignorant husband/boyfriend, doesn't exist. This last point by itself refutes the NTR classification.

Jealousy is not NTR, indeed it is the opposite. Jealous mean that the first person already knows that they have lost; in NTR this realization only occurs at the end (if even then). So even if you redefine what NTR means it still wouldn't explain this show.
Oct 4, 2013 7:27 PM

Feb 2012
Roflmao at these people going in for their asses just to prove anything. This thread is just pure BS by any means. And for the record This:

peacecraft said:

The show doesn't contain any NTR vibes at all. lmao ffs. If You WANT TO SEE NTR, Then watch Hentai Shows with a NTR tag on it. Then you're good.
Oct 4, 2013 7:32 PM

Jul 2011
pizza_012 said:
If You WANT TO SEE NTR, Then watch Hentai Shows with a NTR tag on it. Then you're good.

that's the problem
Oct 4, 2013 7:33 PM
Oct 2012
pizza_012 said:
Roflmao at these people going in for their asses just to prove anything. This thread is just pure BS by any means.

True, however such threads force people to state their reason clearly, so even if the initial poster was a troll, this thread has value solely for that reason.

If wuhugm wasn't an idiot, I would consider him a modern Socrates.
Oct 4, 2013 7:35 PM

Dec 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
pizza_012 said:
Roflmao at these people going in for their asses just to prove anything. This thread is just pure BS by any means.

True, however such threads force people to state their reason clearly, so even if the initial poster was a troll, this thread has value solely for that reason.

If wuhugm wasn't an idiot, I would consider him a modern Socrates.

Arigato yo Amigo~

btw, I'm actually serious :D
Oct 4, 2013 7:41 PM

Sep 2012
Haven't seen this yet.. but from the discussion, it seems that people are confusing NTR with the friend zone.
Oct 4, 2013 7:43 PM
Oct 2012
wuhugm said:

Arigato yo Amigo~

btw, I'm actually serious :D

I know.

That is why I said that if you were not you would be a modern Socrates. But because you are you are merely just an idiot who doesn't own a dictionary.
Oct 4, 2013 7:48 PM
Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
Haven't seen this yet.. but from the discussion, it seems that people are confusing NTR with the friend zone.

It is even worse than that, the MC hasn't even been friend-zoned yet. That, as the MC already knows, will happen, but the female character isn't aware of her feelings yet. This is a coming of age animation, for the female character this is her Hatsukoi (on the level of Romeo and Juliet at that). Symbv has posted that this is a 2 season cour show, so I am sure that there is going to be a lot of twists on the road ahead.
Oct 7, 2013 7:12 AM

Apr 2008
Going to be interesting to see how the romance evolves.
I'm perfectly ok with NTR in hentai and hentai doujins. But I'm not ok with it in regular anime.

Oct 7, 2013 7:17 AM

Sep 2013
No.
Oct 8, 2013 11:13 PM
Dec 2010
yeah definitely no, they're just friends so no NTR
Oct 9, 2013 2:00 AM

Dec 2011
makOYzki said:
yeah definitely no, they're just friends so no NTR

Childhood friend is not friend :D

at least in JAP animanga universe~
Oct 9, 2013 2:23 AM

May 2012
I can't wait until people like you drop this show and move on.

We won't miss your wacky generalisations and stupid buzzwords.
Oct 10, 2013 11:09 AM

Dec 2011
This anime is full of NTR

It seems every girl will be stolen from Hikari
Oct 10, 2013 12:27 PM

Aug 2010
Xinception said:

Even though Hikari is immature and has a bit of a possessive streak over Manaka I feel bad for this guy, we were all this age once making dumb decisions. I don't know about hoping for Hikari to win because he hasn't done anything to deserve winning over land guy so far while Tsumugu has actually been kind to Manaka. I just hope he doesn't end up getting destroyed by this though the way things are going that's bound to happen.
Oct 16, 2013 10:54 PM
May 2008
This Anime is so weird, normally I empathize with the MC, I feel whatever pain is inflicted on him as if it were done to me. But for whatever reason I dont empathize with him. To me, It feels like Manaka is the MC of this anime and hikari is just the loser friend zoned guy that gets thrown to the side in so many other stories for the girls real love interest (Usually the MC.)

Its probably my surface dwelling bias.
Oct 17, 2013 8:41 AM
May 2013
You people really watched too much H-anime. This is clearly love triangles. There is clearly no other relationship other than friendship between Hikari and Manaka even though they do have some feelings for each other. So, there is no 'stolen away'. But I do hate love triangles as much as I hate NTR.
Oct 17, 2013 8:49 AM
May 2013
plus, NTR is the abbreviation of netorare (寝取られ) which means "taken away by sleeping with" so please don't use such term on a PG-13 normal anime like this, there is no sexual relationship whatsoever.
Oct 17, 2013 4:08 PM
Jan 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Shuhan said:

Saying something is like something else does not make it that something.

It is not NTR. Do not claim it is and believe you're anything but factually and objectively wrong if all you'll do is deflect anyone calling you out for it rather than simply admitting your mistake. Backpedaling can only get you so far.

The theme you speak of is jealousy and uncomfortability - not cuckolding and thus not NTR. There is a huge difference. It's like saying the show Nana has a theme of rape because there is some uncomfortable and wrong-feeling sex that happens in it - even though it's all entirely consensual. You're blatantly misusing a term that does not even CLOSELY resemble or fit what you're talking about.

A person cannot be 'stolen' from someone if that person is not in a relationship with that someone. Unless there is a romantic commitment between the two people, then one of them can't be 'stolen', can't be cheating, can't be anything remotely close to what NTR covers.

That's simply unrequited love and the shitty feelings that come with it. The term for that is, oh, "unrequited love". Not cuckolding, not cheating, not being stolen, and not NTR or netorare.

Tallon you prove your point. You're right. Isn't that enough? Do you really need to have the other person say that he/she is wrong to prove your point?

TQ
Oct 17, 2013 4:18 PM

May 2013
Wow, good job, you can tell too? What an amazing conclusion you have come to!
Oct 18, 2013 8:10 PM

Nov 2009
They're not dating, so this isn't NTR.
Just simply one-sided love, witnessing a fated meeting from a 3rd-person point of view.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

203 by Baskarite »»
Sep 22, 2:15 PM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

13 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jul 17, 8:15 AM

» The ending (spoilers)

solele - Jul 13, 2021

14 by Silveredge7 »»
Jul 15, 2:23 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

653 by EsieEyen »»
Jun 25, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

432 by CrimsonMidnight »»
Jun 24, 5:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.