Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 6, 2019 4:15 AM

Oct 2012
I laughed at Shinji's saying "I'm a boy" (Boku otoko desuyo) xD

Fourth child, that's already death flag as far I know Japan since 4 is Shi (Death)
Different Kanji but the way you say it the same as death
Not to mention the ominous theme in this episode
"Signature removed"
Nov 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Sep 2011
So there is a fourth child. I don't think that will be Shinji's friend, it's too obvious. I think that something happened with his sister, that's why he was called by the principal and why he is so sad.
Nov 9, 2019 12:58 PM

Sep 2011
So there is a fourth child. I don't think that will be Shinji's friend, it's too obvious. I think it's a red hiring, something happened with his sister, that's why he was called by the principal and why he is so sad.
Nov 13, 2019 5:29 PM

Nov 2017
Pretty interesting episode considering there wasn't anything distressing going on. Something's definitely up. Golly, this cliffhanger makes me want to watch the rest of the episodes and finish this re-watch!
Dec 17, 2019 2:02 AM
Nov 2018

Rei's blushes are so precious. I like how she defended Shinji and also his father's when they getting the shit talkings behind their backs. So much respect for that pale little girl. Asuka may come across as an arrogant, But she is a good person, deep down. And her behaviors are really cute and they make this show more lively and better.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Mar 30, 2020 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
Some hints may point to actually be Touji the 4th child, but if you were to make it that obvious, why the subliminal secrecy and hype?
Don't know... But man, that dummy plug really is something interesting... I think they are able to Sync with their EVAs because in the EVAs somehow was transferred bits of people soul that are close to them, like shinji's mother? Or like personality like Ritsuko mother within the Magi...
Mar 30, 2020 1:50 PM

Dec 2015
@NostalgiaDrive94 It's not made a secret to you, the watcher, but to Shinji. ^^

PS: Magi doesn't contain actual bits of Ryôko, it is just a way of talking: she divided the "thought/decision process" the way she saw herself and she poured her soul into the computer, the achievement of her life.

January 2, 2020
@Vapsiainen I know what you took for Ryôko's brain, but it is not.
Rei_IIIJan 3, 2021 2:24 AM
Mar 31, 2020 2:45 AM

Jan 2014
Rei_III said:

PS: Magi doesn't contain actual bits of Ryôko, it is just a way of talking: she divided the "thought/decision process" the way she saw herself and she poured her soul into the computer, the achievement of her life.

Aaah I see, it was not to take literally, but metaphorically! Thanks for the clarification!
Apr 5, 2020 10:15 PM

Dec 2019
That 03 Eva looked SICK, so Touji is the 4th children huh, interesting.
                                                         🖤   

Jul 16, 2020 4:47 PM

Feb 2020
the class rep is cute!! i've forgotten her name oops but still

i'm assuming all that hinting means toji is the fourth child. that's very convenient but i suppose it's easier than introducing a whole new character. plus it can open up a whole can of worms in terms of aida's jealousy/feeling left out

i don't particularly like kaji, but i feel like he is going to be important, he knows far far more than he lets on

and i wonder what exactly happened to shinji in that incident with the angel swallowing him up, they haven't explained any of that either hmmm
Oct 12, 2020 9:15 AM

Aug 2018
Well the next episode is probably gonna have some big reveals, but speaking about this was , it was a good episode, many characters had their own special moments especially Rei, which was nice seeing
Nov 7, 2020 1:31 AM

Dec 2012
Misato getting questioned.
Toji.
Gendo and Rei.
Kensuke not in class.
2nd branch vanished.
Gendo and Ritsuko. Rei.
Married couple he said. Hahahaha
The Fourth Children?
Rei walks in.
lol at Kaji.
Kaji just kabedon'd Misato.
Asuka finds out who the Fourth Children is.
Touji. Dat shot. He scores.
Dat ending.

Its looking like Toji is the Fourth Children. This version of the ED theme is my favorite so far.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 2, 2021 3:33 PM
Jul 2014
Rei_III said:

Magi actually contains Ritsuko's mother's brains. It is seen in one of the previous episodes.
Jan 2, 2021 10:07 PM

Aug 2019
shit no way, i did not expect at all for a fourth child. Asides from an entire NERV base just been deleted, the Eva Unit 04 going along with it as well as some other fancy shit, i really don't know how to feel about Sazuhara being pretty sus of the fourth child (i mean there's a lot of fingers pointing to him rn) I know i threw shit at him at first but now i don't know how to feel, since then the dudes been pretty chill. I want to call it his redemption arc, but like he's probably gonna have to go through shit close to what Shinji went through, and i don't know if he deserves it.

Shit seems to be getting pretty dark as well, Kaji bringing up Shinji's school to Misato is sparking a thought that i really hope isn't true.
Asides from all this, Rei blushing again, quality content. Love to see it.
Jan 4, 2021 10:44 AM
Jul 2014
Rei_III said:

January 2, 2020
@Vapsiainen I know what you took for Ryôko's brain, but it is not.

I researched it a bit more and you were right. Sorry about misunderstanding.
Feb 27, 2021 1:01 AM
Feb 2021
Am I the only one who isn’t into Rei? Like I get it, but I don’t. Atp Shinji should just be single.
Mar 28, 2021 12:37 AM

Jun 2020
I like how the angels were expanded on

Wonder who the fourth children is and what his relationship to Asuka is
Mar 28, 2021 12:45 AM

Sep 2020
GoZha said:
I like how the angels were expanded on

Wonder who the fourth children is and what his relationship to Asuka is

Jun 11, 2021 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
I think this is one of the least posted on forums. And I can totally see why... it was much more mundane. There's starting to be a lack of angels... episodes 13-15 were lame too. I like the psychological direction we're shifting toward but I disagree with the lack of angels -- of course, we all know Gainex's reason, a dwindling budget and they had to make due. But I'm not complaining.

13-15 were painfully dull but 16 was great, and now 17 -- while more mundane and somewhat focused on a side/recurring character, Toji -- I thought it was really interesting. For the first time in a while, I was immersed and didn't look away. Something about the episode was charming.

I like how Toji noticed that Shinji "changed", and that Rei blushed. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Unlike other anime where character development happens overnight, I've been seeing everso subtle changes in the characters episode-by-episode. It's a gradient, a smooth growth, and the epitome of character development done correctly.

I also like how this anime is somewhat episodic (with different angels in each episode) but still refers to past episodes; like Toji's sister, for instance. He still visits her at the hospital. And the hints in this episode that Toji has his own issues, like having no one to cook for him.

I like the growing tension between Misato and the scientist, who are supposed to be like best friend, but Misato's clearly angry that secrets concerning her job are being kept from her.

The scene(s) with Rei were awesome. I didn't care for his character much because I didn't know his role at NERV nor did he make any obvious contributions. But it was nice seeing him help Misato out, and bond with Shinji. The watermelon scene was serene.

Little by little, the overarching plot of the show moves forward. And a fourth child, I'm excited to see who they are. I certainly wasn't expecting one.

Classic NGE is back, albeit without the full-on action sequences. I'm content.
Jul 25, 2021 7:37 AM
Jul 2021
"I'm a boy"
That shit cracked me up.

Shinji becoming more and more mentally and psychologically healthy is absolutely fantastic, and is also the likely reason why he's become worse at synching with his Eva. All the pilots, including Toji now, are mentally and psychologically damaged people, and I think that is why they are pilots. Since the marduk Commitee is now known to be false, it's literally Ikari and his people choosing people who are mentally damaged. I'm guessing he knew his son was one such person, which is why he continues to keep him at arm's length.

Actually, maybe the Angel from last episode was trying to help Shinji by giving him counseling lol. In doing so, they'd be taking away the most troublesome pilot of the enemy.

The episode itself is really meh, but the implications it has on the overall story is pretty good that it balances our a little.
Sep 15, 2021 5:49 PM

May 2019
Mayrin_ said:
Am I the only one who isn’t into Rei? Like I get it, but I don’t. Atp Shinji should just be single.

That's kinda the point lol, but every person to ever watch this show just took her and Asuka at even less than face value and just sees them as waifus

Phrophetsam said:
All the pilots, including Toji now, are mentally and psychologically damaged people, and I think that is why they are pilots. Since the marduk Commitee is now known to be false, it's literally Ikari and his people choosing people who are mentally damaged. I'm guessing he knew his son was one such person, which is why he continues to keep him at arm's length.

Man that's a really interesting interpretation, it definitely seems likely to be true. I never thought about Ikari keeping his son distant purposely like that, but if it's true that would be super interesting to see that play out thematically and all that.
Nov 14, 2021 7:41 AM

Aug 2020
Fourth member added and seems like something has happened to the dude's sister. Where is the plot going to go? Who knows.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 25, 2021 9:07 AM
Nov 2020
so Toji is the Fourth child
Dec 16, 2021 4:04 PM

May 2019
I always liked Toji.
He definitely just says it straight up and also tells us how Shinji has grown and changed.

Rei: "Thank you...Words I've never spoken before, not even to him." She talking about Gendo?

Kaji's talk to Shinji was legit.

Toji could be the fourth pilot.
Jan 3, 2022 8:18 AM

Jul 2021
If Toji is really the fourth pilot, then something will definitely happen to Shinji's psychological.
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 12:00 PM

Jan 2016
In the middle of the ep, I think Suzuhara is the Fourth Children. I was wondering why this ep is all of a sudden dedicated to him. Idk if this is an unpopular opinion but I don't really like Tohji.
Feb 8, 2022 9:09 AM

Feb 2021
Ayanami is so fucking cute >_<

Wait so the Marduk institute I've been hearing about is nothing but fake? NERV has been playing it all? Wtf is Gendo plotting?

Suzuhara is the 4th Children?!?

Does the class rep like Suzuhara or smth?

Feb 20, 2022 5:37 PM
Nov 2014
Suzuhara getting chosen to be part of the 4th Children seems too obvious and very not in line with what's been happening. Maybe his hospitalized family member succumbed to their wounds and died, and this is the show's way of putting you off from guessing who it really is.

Also, someone earlier in the thread mentioned that only psychologically unstable people seem to be getting selected to pilot EVAs, but Asuka isn't really that unstable and she was selected. I mean, I guess she's unstable in the sense that she's willing to feign being molested in order to try to get Kaji's attention, but maybe she's just hiding it from everyone? Idk, maybe there's more to selecting pilots.

Really wanna hear more about ADAM and the Spear of Longinius.
Apr 8, 2022 7:55 PM

Dec 2021
kaji very based playboy, a bit of a breather compared to the last episode
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 20, 2022 9:10 AM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 22, 2022 4:32 AM

Oct 2020
This was a jarring episode

We learn about two more Eva units (03 and 04) and one of them has suddenly disappeared so they're sending the other one over to Nerv?
Then we find out that there is no Marduk Institute that formally assesses children to find compatible Eva pilots -- it's just Nerv hand-picking kids from the Tokyo-3 school
-- In fact, I find it odd that a 'fortress city' like Tokyo-3 that was built to house an intergalactic defense facility would even have a school in the first place .. Nerv probably built the school to have easy access to 14-year old children since that seems to be the magic number with the Evas

Side note-- I found it sort of odd that Kaji was trying to hit-up a random Nerv employee so soon after he and Misato were assumedly beginning to get back together... I get that he's flirtatious by nature but, especially after that big heartfelt reconciliation he and Misato had, it seemed sort of out of character for him to try to lock lips with some random girl.
Jul 1, 2022 8:15 AM

Dec 2007
it was so obvious from preview for this episode and the episode itself, that suzuhara is the fourth child, that i think the story will be surprising and tell us it's not him xD

this episode actually didn't had much, but ended so fast O_O
Aug 16, 2022 4:34 PM
Aug 2022
It's crazy to think that Toji was actually the fourth child. Total plot twist.
Sep 27, 2022 1:40 PM
Aug 2022
wow so there's a fourth pilot now. i'm assuming it's that guy who got called into the office, but they might be doing a twist, so who knows since it was never outright confirmed it was him. and apparently eva-04 just magically disappeared which i'm pretty sure is because of an angel. anyways, i hope to find out more info soon.
Oct 24, 2022 10:50 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The class rep actually seeming to have feelings for Suzuhara is breaking my heart fam

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 31, 2022 10:56 PM

Jan 2022
Not much else to say about this episode. The vanishing branch does well to keep you on your toes. And were' clearly building to something.

That rei blush. That Asuka Tsundere Blush tho. ah soo good.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 24, 2023 2:26 PM

Dec 2010
I loved the drawn-out moments filled with psychological tension, one of the biggest reasons love NGE, 
Feb 4, 2023 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
Guessing Touji is meant to be the next pilot (that or it was an attention bluff and could be Kensuke instead). Gendou's personal project with Rei makes her all the more confusing every episode. She DOES know more than she's letting on, she DOES receive special treatment from the Commander. Hell, when was the last time he asked SHINJI how school was going? Normally blushes have been used as a sign of affection or embarrassment, but Rei's in this and a past episode don't feel like they match.
She's pondering over never saying 'Thank you' to anyone before. Suggests that no one has ever gone out of their way to do something for her benefit, even somethhing as simple as tidying up. And then there was the 'mother' and 'housewife' thing. Do they mean something else to her? Is she aiming to be the 'mother' of Project EVA for the 'children'? Or is she just suconsciously desiring a simple life without Angels and EVAs?

Being ever more unsubtle with the imagery in this episode. Transporting a heavy EVA from US to Japan and they carry it in a completey unaerodynamic way...as if pinned to a crucifixion cross :P
Slightlly new territory for me now. While I've not been majorly spoiled on things in EVA, I've never seen images of EVAs outside of 01 and 02 (first time I saw 00 was a figma stop-motion video :P). S2 drive clearly was clearly something important, but Gendou isn't phased by the physical loss since the data is secure.

Now to see who the 03 pilot is going to be revealed as and what 03's unique quirk is. No idea why Asuka was so surprised about the new pilot since the current 3 have pretty much nothing in common before they were made pilots :/
Feb 21, 2023 2:24 PM
Jul 2022
Why i didn't like this episode? well...too much talking, many subtitles to read got me tired. Too much screen time for Rei too (shes literally a bitch). It took me a while to understand that fucking extra was going to be the 4th child and when i got it...man, so lame. Where the fuck is asuka (best character of all time) screen time? At least, we got some of kaji (major trigger for my daddy issues, but soooo hot). Hope next episode we got some fight.
Mar 4, 2023 12:52 AM
Jan 2022
man this much info plus this mysterious plot
dwang i just love it specially the the berserk mode eva in ep 16 against shadow angel!
Apr 21, 2023 1:47 PM
Mar 2023
Okay now we have started! This is what made this anime a 10
May 12, 2023 8:58 PM
May 2023
This is the angst that I love
May 27, 2023 1:19 PM
Apr 2020
Fine episode, they kinda just danced around Suzuhara being the Fourth Children for ages without actually saying it
Jun 26, 2023 8:04 AM
Jun 2023
cant wait to see who is the mysterious 4th child of eva!!
Jan 13, 10:28 PM

Dec 2022
if you've endured pain and hardship, it's much easier to be kind to others
Feb 7, 5:54 PM

Mar 2022
Well there’s definitely talks about a Fourth Child but not much is going on in this episode other than Toji’s getting some focus here. Awww Rei was blushing when Shinji told her he cleaned up her trash in her room. She’s definitely got feelings for him. Even Asuka blushed along with Shinji when they were be compared to a married couple. I don’t know people think Toiji is gonna be the 4th Child but I think it might be something with Toiji’s sister I mean he said that he goes to the hospital to see her after all. But we could be getting a twist with the next episode so we’ll see.
Mar 7, 6:14 PM
Feb 2024
A really good episode, it's pretty clear who the pilot is but the darting around and character conflict is interesting
Mar 8, 3:56 AM

Jul 2017
I never understood why but this episode always made me feel quite melancholy, maybe because I imagine how Toji might feel right now, becoming an EVA pilot while his sister is in the hospital.
The class representative is very sweet to him, I love them.
I loved that super cute rei moment.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Mar 12, 3:47 PM
Aug 2016
Didnt expect the 4rth Child. I think its not that bad idea honestly. The thing that is related to her sister i didnt figure it out, but may be its like that. To discover the link between pilot and EVA is the same as discovering why a child can be a JEDI. This ep was okay, every ep with an Angel battle was kinda too much, dosent let the story to develop.

The girl, a good person? Ye but What about contributing to the Adam project without knowing what it is about?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Today, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.