Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 2009 10:31 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think we've strayed as far away from the original plot I'd pieced up as possible.
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:24 AM
Nov 27, 2009 2:47 AM

Nov 2009
Not sure whats going on.........but somehow im eager to finish it.
Dec 10, 2009 2:18 AM

Jan 2008
Looks like all hell's broken loose.
Dec 17, 2009 11:14 PM

Dec 2007
What's with the weird glasses. It seems that Maniwa has gone crazy. I'm pretty sure that lil slugger is a illusion. If someone gets stressed, they see him because they saw the news stories. I might be wrong because I don't know how the doll guy fits into the theory. It also doesn't explain what the old guy, and I'm not sure if he's alive or dead.
Jun 20, 2010 12:21 AM

Mar 2009
What the hell is going on, damnit.
Sep 24, 2010 3:04 PM

Aug 2009
D:
Oct 23, 2010 12:49 AM

Mar 2010
I don't get it D:
Oct 25, 2010 6:00 AM

Dec 2009
Well I think the episode was ok.It could be better,but oh well I finished the anime,I didn't drop it.And it was worth watching it.

Jun 10, 2011 2:03 PM

Mar 2011
My brain hurts.
Jan 27, 2012 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
what happened to this show :( the first half of it was amazing.. now we've come to this, what is this crap! It must be as far away from the original plot that I can think off, only reason Im not dropping this is because theres only one episode left, oh well lets get it over with!
Feb 23, 2012 10:57 AM
Sep 2011
This was just fantastic. Now everything's coming together, the past came back to haunt each single one of the former victims of shonen bat. In general the situation is getting out of hand. Shonen bat and Maromi are becoming stronger and thus increase their influence on society.

Actually, everything up to now have been build-up for this. The otaku and the RPG episode to name a few have been paving the way for the final show-down.
Mar 6, 2012 4:28 PM

Jun 2008
'Little Slugger' doesn't exist. I still think it's all in the peoples' heads. Delusional and wanting to escape from reality. >0<
HEY!
Jun 15, 2012 12:13 AM

Sep 2011
I find it interesting, but I'm not fully understanding it. LOL
Jul 19, 2012 12:27 PM

Mar 2008
Well, I thought of that connection already, don't think that was that unpredictable..
However, I still don't understand what that plushie exactly is and some other things... confusing @.@ not even sure if it's supposed to make all sense...
Aug 14, 2012 1:09 AM

Jul 2010
What the hell is going on. I really dont understand anything anymore. What is real and what is fake. My head hurts D:
Dec 3, 2012 9:35 PM
Aug 2011
randompadley said:
what happened to this show :( the first half of it was amazing.. now we've come to this, what is this crap! It must be as far away from the original plot that I can think off, only reason Im not dropping this is because theres only one episode left, oh well lets get it over with!

The first part was amazing. But so is this episode. Everything was set up in this episode in order to be told in the next episode. Are you daft m8?
May 5, 2013 12:50 AM
Aug 2011
Okay. So, everything is delusion. Then what about the dead people who tried to commit suicide together? What the fuck did they show them to us?
May 8, 2013 3:22 PM

Aug 2007
I guess I really need to watch the next episode to fully understand how this all comes together.
Glad to here other episodes and possible "insignificant" things will make the tapestry of the overall conclusion!

Jun 6, 2013 7:14 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, don't really know why anything is happening in the anime.
Would have preferred if it didn't go supernatural.
Sep 6, 2013 1:06 PM

Aug 2012
Here we go again, with the fantasy stuff...
Aug 23, 2014 3:45 PM

May 2012
I don't even know what kind of anime this is, everything is just a big chaos! Either way let's see what the last episode will offer us!
Sep 19, 2014 2:35 PM
Nov 2011
hmm.. all this is a delusion? is that what the mangaka is trying to say? I'm not sure. if so, then I guessed that from the beginning, and that'd be too predictable? also other things don't make much sense I mean the mangaka wouldn't need them to say what he's trying to say? it wouldn't get a 9-8/10 but I enjoyed watching it and that what matters.
Oct 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2007
Not sure I get it but it sure is compelling ( •᷄ὤ•᷅)?and we're returning to better animation so yaaaaay.

I kinda think the suicide episode was just a random one-off/side story? I can forgive the show if it doesn't explain it because I really liked that episode.

Jun 24, 2015 2:54 PM

Oct 2014
AlexSadist-sama said:
What the hell is going on, damnit.

What exactly happened to this anime? It was awesome at beginning but now it sucks major ass
Sep 4, 2015 4:29 AM
Sep 2012
I really hope they conclude this well in the next episode. If shonen bat is indeed just a delusion then that is incredibly predictable. Most people should've been able to guess that by episode 3. Hopefully they got a card up their sleeve though.
Sep 27, 2015 3:55 PM

Jul 2015
it all went downhill after episode 4
Oct 12, 2015 3:43 AM
May 2012
I can see it!!
Let's see how this will end. Only one way to find out.
Dec 3, 2015 7:34 AM
Aug 2012
My brain hurts just like everyone's else! But i enjoyed it and starting step by step put together all parts of this weird and complicated story
Jan 7, 2016 2:26 PM

May 2015
Now THIS episode has made up for the past few crappy episodes. This was a good one, and it was plot relevant, even though it seemed totally IRrelevant. I had a feeling that poor, young detective would end up losing it. What a shame.

How dark, all the people who were "saved" are now getting screwed (not sure how a mini version Ushiyama's palm tree inside of his locker is bad for Yuichi, but he looked disturbed). The husband didn't look very surprised to see Maria. I'd had a feeling that she wasn't gone for good. Very sad.

This episode was reeeeally dark and I LOVED iiiit!
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jan 30, 2016 4:21 PM

Dec 2015
This has gotten really stupid at this point... Its been predictable if it was all an illusion. I am all for psychological anime, since my career is in the field of psychology, but this is just utter crap. Well might as well finish it, on to the next episode. 1/5
CejaraJan 30, 2016 4:24 PM
Nov 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2013
Awesome episode. It takes a little investigation and consideration, but things really are making sense at this point. I think Tsukiko may have created Shounen Bat and projected him onto the populace. Shounen Bat is an after image of the individual who attacked her when she was in 6th grade. His popularity makes him stronger, just like that of the dog character (Moromi?). Everyone who has been attacked by Shounen Bat had a version of Morimo on them at the time of the attack. Remember the episode with the animation studio? No one was attacked until that guy showed up and gave them all Morimo dolls. Then they all suddenly got killed. The 3 people wanting to commit suicide each carried a large Moromi backpack throughout the episode. I could be way off on this, but I think Moromi is a signal of an impending attack/death.

At the beginning of this episode, they said that imagination nurtures him and rumors make him grow. He's a manifestation of the collective subconscious of Japan's citizens. The more they think about him, the more they tell stories about him (like the gossiping women did a couple episodes back) the stronger he becomes.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 10, 2017 1:25 PM

Jan 2017
Weell with this episode my theory is kinda proved but lets see the final ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
*meme*
Jan 12, 2017 11:05 PM

Mar 2016
All I can hope for is that the resolution will be cut and dry so I can piece everything together.

I really hope S.B. isn't just an illusion...that'd be kinda boring, seeing as the first few eps kept changing our theory but then everything after that pointed to S.B. being an illusion.
Feb 25, 2017 6:10 PM

Jun 2012
what's going on help

May 19, 2017 11:46 AM

Dec 2015
I don't understand anything anymore.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 13, 2017 7:30 PM

Jun 2009
Aaaah. Yes, the classic Satoshi Kon mindfuck.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Nov 7, 2017 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
This anime is really hard to understand mainly because it feels like half of the stuff that happens didn't actually happen, but from what I understood I think the point is that Sagi does not know that Shounen Bat is a character, she really thinks she was attacked, so admitting that Shounen Bat is a lie will probably play a big part in the final confrontation.

Honestly, the scenario that this anime proposes is just plain creepy. Imagine living in a society so fucked up you systemized suicide... There is no need to think of the individual, the actual real problems that lead for a person to actually want to disappear, when you can just say "their lives were too hard so Shounen Bat saved them". This way of thinking is disgusting and the Chief's wife kicked major ass by refusing it in Ep. 11.
Dec 9, 2017 4:20 PM
Apr 2014
What is even going on? Such a disappointing second half... Srsly the synopsis and was looking promising and the first half was actually interesting. Then we got these two random episodes followed by this monster story. Was expecting something different.

If I had knows this is going to end as regular monster story I probably wouldn't have watched it >.> Doesn't matter if there are supposed to be hidden messages or anything. Well, one more episode. Let's see what the conclusion will be if there even is going to be one.
Jan 3, 2018 1:34 PM

Jan 2017
Aina-Chan said:
'Little Slugger' doesn't exist. I still think it's all in the peoples' heads. Delusional and wanting to escape from reality. >0<

That's it, end of the story.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 3, 2018 3:18 PM

Jan 2017
Cejara said:
This has gotten really stupid at this point... Its been predictable if it was all an illusion. I am all for psychological anime, since my career is in the field of psychology, but this is just utter crap. Well might as well finish it, on to the next episode. 1/5

A couple of episodes and the possibility of him being an illusion is highly considerable.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Sep 3, 2019 9:39 PM

Feb 2017
Oh right, this is what a plot episode looks like. Very important episode compared to the ones leading up to it, but we still don't know the details of Tsukiko's secret.
Oct 4, 2019 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
So Maromi and Lil' Slugger are more or less the same in their nature and have source in Tsukiko's childhood's trauma.

Maniwa fully lost his sanity. I loved the transition when he looked at the glass or something. He was wearing his normal clothes, while his reflection looked like this Holy Warrior. By the way, action sequences were really well in terms of choreography and animation, even though this anime is not about action.

Ancient Master's last words were... well... powerful. ;p

Now everyone seems to have the worst outcome of problems they wanted to avoid with Lil' Slugger's intervention. I feel bad for this scientist who had to face his wife second, and apparently main, personality named as Maria. :(
Jan 15, 2020 4:43 PM
Apr 2016
Maniwa is completely broken, devoured by the idea of Shounen Bat. A sorry sight I must say. How much of this is delusion and how much of this is real? That's unfortunately very hard to answer...
Mar 16, 2020 7:06 PM

Sep 2017
Last episode: "You're (Shounen Bat) just like Maromi! A convenient escape!"
Me: Yeah, that's a pretty apt and ironic metaphor.
This episode: Shounen Bat literally is Maromi.
Me: ooohhhhhhkay
Mar 16, 2020 7:06 PM

Sep 2017
Last episode: "You're (Shounen Bat) just like Maromi! A convenient escape!"
Me: That's a pretty apt and ironic metaphor!
This episode: Shounen Bat literally is Maromi.
Me: ooooooookay
Apr 11, 2020 5:17 AM
Apr 2016
I can't understand anymore what is real and what is not in this show, one more episode left...
May 29, 2020 12:15 PM

May 2016
Shounen Bat being the manifestation of Tsukiko's traumatic childhood memories was pretty interesting. It's crazy how she has managed to accidentally drag everyone into this mess with just her imagination but it was the public who had given him that much power by spreading rumors and practically immortalizing him by making him the face of once intangible feelings like despair.

Maromi was Tsukiko's coping mechanism that tried her hardest to shield her from her trauma but she's exactly the same as Shounen Bat in regards to being a means to take the easy way out since she served the purpose of helping her run away from her problems instead of facing them. I guess that Maromi was the face of hope that provided comfort to those who would rather not hear about the constant news of assaults and murders but the public's obsession and overdependence towards it corrupted her.

Seeing the ex-detective, now full-time lunatic acting as the self-appointed holy warrior was an embarrassing and sorry sight. I have no idea on why and how the fatass' figures helped him find the answer to this mystery, why Maromi started disappearing from everywhere, and why everything's going wrong for Shounen Bat's past victims now though. I have a feeling that the last episode will probably leave me with more questions than give me the answers, oof.

I could be wrong after just one episode and trying to think of a way to piece together my thoughts into writing made it all the more confusing for me but whatever~

Jun 11, 2020 10:23 AM

Nov 2007
charlieman999 said:
I can't understand anymore what is real and what is not in this show, one more episode left...

I stopped caring for what is real or not but I hoped on this point (sub)plots were about to come together and make sense. A whole lot of sidestories and characters but this episode was just a big mess.
Jun 12, 2020 11:42 AM

Oct 2010
so basically
- tsukiko had a crazy time in childhood because of her dog's death so she picked up a bat and started hurting random people in the neighborhood
- the manifestation of her anger was shonen bat (like we see in her drawing)
- then she lies about the assault from episode 1, she was stressed because of the new character
- because she talked about shonen bat, cornered people seem to seek this type of comfort/release, they hurt themselves and blame it on shonen bat (paranoia/schizofrenia), some others like the anime studio guy hurt others, he was shonen bat when he smashed his colleagues etc
- shonen bat does not exist, it's just a feeling, an ephemeral stuff, reminds me of Kamisu Reina where people that commited suicide blame it on a girl named Reina, but this girl was only in their minds, aka the manifestation of suicide
- people woul start to blame shonen bat for their problems, they want an external enemy to the enemy that is inside them, think about Bruce Lee movies, where main character is fighting his inner demons'the enemy within, and like he said:
“If there is a God, he is within. You don’t ask God to give you things, you depend on God for your inner theme.”
“I wish neither to possess nor to be possessed. I no longer covet ‘paradise’. More important, I no longer fear ‘hell’. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, but I did not observe it, until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, consuming myself.”

- the detective's wife survived shonen bat because she believed in her husband, she didn't accept to lose to insanity/fear whatever negative feelings she would have, true she was kinda crazy but inside she was simple, that's why she wasn't "attacked" but her inner demons were fighting, she wanted release, she wanted an easy way out of this life
- the detective killed himself
- somehow some people can access other realms, like the dead realm or purgatory (imo), they are the old guy, the young detective and the kid that died in his cell, he was cornered/afraid etc, we see shonen bat, we see the blood, but that's only symbolism as I explained above about shonen bat

I kinda don't know what the otaku guy's role is but we have one more episode, truly this anime is Kon's magnum opus, a mastepiece
Sep 2, 2020 1:40 AM

May 2015
This is the right path
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

105 by lkj509 »»
Feb 6, 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.