Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think the school/club harem, fanservice, cute girls doing stupid things are low quality entertainment and should be banned from this world?

New
Do you think they are some kind of cancer and should disappear?
Yes, they should be banned
24.6%
No, they are just fine
75.4%
118 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 7, 2014 6:44 AM
Nov 2013
Just to make sure, I don't like to give names but I really want to know: anybody prefers Haganai, Nisekoi and OreImo over Princess Tutu, Haibane Renmei and Natsume Yuujinchou for example?
Feb 7, 2014 6:46 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
ButNotForMe said:
jal90 said:
I'll take the bait and say that anybody who believes Nichijou is low entertainment as opposed to Ghost in the Shell are fooling themselves.

That was why Nichijou sold like shit amirite

At least for now but the loss they had made were minimised by the recent success of Free.

Well yeah at least swimming is better than the school kids messing around, just like the latest episode of Chuunibyou, which made me dropped the show
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 7, 2014 6:47 AM
Apr 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
Just to make sure, I don't like to give names but I really want to know: anybody prefers Haganai, Nisekoi and OreImo over Princess Tutu, Haibane Renmei and Natsume Yuujinchou for example?

Me.
Feb 7, 2014 6:55 AM

Aug 2009
Repetitive threads should be banned from this world.

Feb 7, 2014 7:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me
Feb 7, 2014 7:04 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

me
Feb 7, 2014 7:07 AM

Aug 2013
Orsonius said:
Of course it does.

We get more shitty low fi shows every season and less actual shows with people who are talented.

I mean just look at the shows this season and tell me how good the writing is compared to other shows who don't focus on school kids doing random things.

I take Witchcraft Works as an example, because I think the writing is one of the worst I've seen in years.

>School setting
>Beta Male who is afraid of girls
>His family has no common sense, mother "forces" him to marry a girl, and his sister is super clingy
>The mysterious girl is over powered and saves him all the time from stuff (wish fulfillment)
>The villains also have no common sense, and are basically Team Rocket from Pokemon
>It will end in some cheasy romantic way which is totally unrealistic and on the quality of fanfics.

This is everything wrong with the industry.

People can't write stories, can't write characters. They are all just some cardboard cut outs we have seen a million times before. The story is School + [fill in the blank] because establishing a REAL setting would be work and requires skill.

All these fucking school shows are made by hacks who are not talented enough to make an actual good work of fiction.
WRONG Actually finish watch Witchcraft Works before JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS. You got that Team Rocket comment from me lol but as I have said when I made that comment that the true antagonist has not revealed herself in the anime yet. You see her in the op but she hasn't been revealed yet. WITCH CRAFT WORKS is not a shitty generic ecchi harem anime or a crappy slice of life highschool anime Ayaka has good reason to protect Honoka. HONOKA'S MOTHER DID NOT FORCE HIM TO MARRY AYAKA. THEY ARE NOT MARRIED! Also it's not wish fulfillment but more like destiny. READ THE MANGA. Also why did you bring up Witchcraft Works in this thread? It is not a generic ecchi harem like Rosario +Vampire and it is not a boring underaged looking moe girl high school anime like K-on etc.
DrGeroCreationFeb 7, 2014 7:41 AM
Feb 7, 2014 7:08 AM
Nov 2013
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

Lol, you haven't even watched. But ok, we are doomed .
blankflatFeb 7, 2014 7:16 AM
Feb 7, 2014 7:10 AM

Mar 2008
Zelot said:
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

me

Zelot, you haven't even seen any of the latter ones...

ssjokg said:

BTW can we finally decide what is wish fulfillment?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WishFulfillment
pretty spot on explanation if you ask me

As for OP... the question is if those kinds of anime necessarily mean that it will be "low quality entertainment".
At first glance one could classify Aria as "cute girls doing cute things" as well, but it's so much more than that.
I'm open-minded to try out pretty much everything that is thrown at me - I mean even Cowboy Bebop has some fanservice in it. If it's done in a tasteful way I don't mind it at all.
I do agree that tons of anime are taking place at school and after a while it gets a bit tiring because the setting is kinda overused, but again, it doesn't necessarily mean the outcome will be bad.
Feb 7, 2014 7:17 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

Lol, you haven't even watched. But ok, I get, we are doomed .
I meant the genres, not the examples.

Thing is, school life comedies etc are very rarely bad. They're also virtually never 10/10 material, but I can almost never say I don't enjoy them. It's a stable concept that almost never fails to entertain.
Feb 7, 2014 7:20 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
precious said:
Zelot said:
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

me

I've been found out!
Feb 7, 2014 7:22 AM
Nov 2013
I don't think they are bad, they are somehow enjoyable. But there isn't really something special about them, that's why I consider it as low quality entertainment, it's just entertainment and nothing more.
Feb 7, 2014 7:22 AM

Sep 2013
I think saying they should be banned is going a little too far but I agree there should be less of it. But at the same time, with so many non-serious, average anime it makes really good, original series just a little bit better.
Feb 7, 2014 7:27 AM

Jul 2011
HaXXspetten said:
[Thing is, school life comedies etc are very rarely bad. They're also virtually never 10/10 material, but I can almost never say I don't enjoy them. It's a stable concept that almost never fails to entertain.

Onizuka can't be a 10 material then?
Even with a teacher MC, it's still a school life comedy.
Feb 7, 2014 7:27 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
I don't think they are bad, they are somehow enjoyable. But there isn't really something special about them, that's why I consider it as low quality entertainment, it's just entertainment and nothing more.
Does it matter? Aren't you watching anime to be entertained in the first place?
Feb 7, 2014 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Banned? Omg no. I love that shit!
Feb 7, 2014 7:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
pralan said:
HaXXspetten said:
[Thing is, school life comedies etc are very rarely bad. They're also virtually never 10/10 material, but I can almost never say I don't enjoy them. It's a stable concept that almost never fails to entertain.

Onizuka can't be a 10 material then?
Even with a teacher MC, it's still a school life comedy.
Well there can always a few exceptions but it's definitely a rarity. On the other hand I very rarely give any of them below 7 at least.
Feb 7, 2014 7:32 AM

Dec 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed. But I want to know, without any flame, what the majority is thinking about this issue. It would be good if you could explain yourself...

Fuck no. Why? I like sex appeals. 2D and real life don't fucking matter.

"After I finish fucking you. I am going to kill you."

Feb 7, 2014 7:32 AM

Aug 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
Stuff like K-On and Lucky Star to me are definitely low quality entertainment because they are just underaged looking moe girls doing cute things.
Feb 7, 2014 7:34 AM
Apr 2013
Zelot said:
precious said:
Zelot said:
HaXXspetten said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Me.
Me

me

I've been found out!

Pffft. I am the only legit one here. Shame on you guys.
Feb 7, 2014 7:37 AM
Nov 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Rashkolnikov said:
Does it matter? Aren't you watching anime to be entertained in the first place?

Yes and no, just to be entertained no. It's always good to get something more. Just like a book, I don't read books just to be entertained, there is always something more besides simple entertainment.
Feb 7, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2012
Harem and fanservice I'm fine with being banned, but I like cute girls doing cute things to a certain degree.
Feb 7, 2014 7:53 AM

Aug 2012
Anyone who wants any harmless piece of entertainment banned by law (with the exception of those that are already illegal to begin with) simply because they think it's simply low quality, unentertaining, boring dreck is just a selfish fuck.

Just wait, someone from the elitist club is gonna derail this thread to oblivion.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 7, 2014 7:54 AM

Mar 2013
The existence of threads like this should be "banned from this world".
Feb 7, 2014 7:55 AM
Dec 2013
Otouto said:
They are of low quality in my opinion, but by no means should they be banned. To each their own, right?

Yeah, we just have to deal with the fact that some people are into fanservice and school harems.
Feb 7, 2014 7:58 AM

Dec 2013
No. Those any aren't usually things I would enjoy, but I lot of people do gain enjoyment from it. Who am I to take that away from them?
Miss me?
Feb 7, 2014 8:00 AM

Aug 2012
Oh wait, you are in the elitist club. Even more reason to crap on this thread. Nothing on you, personally.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 7, 2014 8:01 AM

Jul 2012
ssjokg said:
Blabala bla bla.

"People should only create things the pretentious me likes.And when they do I will call them pretentious or some other shit because the shows arent EXACTLY how I wanted them to be"

BTW can we finally decide what is wish fulfillment?
Boy saving the girl=wish fulfillment
Gil saving the boy=wish fulfillment
Anything in between=inconsistent writing because none of the two is "allowed to" save the other if they both are established as strong chars.

Make up your mind wannabe critics/aspiring writers/whatever the fuck you are.

Nice misrepresentation and straw man bro.

1) I never used the word pretentious here, so that is just a straw man argument you made up to misrepresent my position. You are basically arguing with your self.
2) Wish fulfillment is a kind of writing where the writer makes the story in a way that serves his personal feel good wishes he has.

For example. The writer is a loser who never got laid. Now he makes a story in which the protagonist (he himself inserts) has sex with a lot of girls.
Or he is super strong, or becomes the king of the world, or god or whatever he writer likes to be.

In the case of Witchcraft works the writer creates a generic Boy and a super popular girl, who is also a magician and basically immortal that protects him from harm, loves him and oh well what else, she is rich, everyone loves her, he is engaged with her and all the other bullshit.

That is all wishfulfillment. It's fanfic writing. It's when chubby ugly girls write stories in their diary about a prince who loves them and they live happy ever after.

But life isn't that way, and if 90% of all anime coming out are just pandering, wish fulfillment, escapist crap, then the industry fucking sucks.
I can get the same quality of writing from teenagers who are bored in class and scribble some random plot on their papers.

What people who write actual stories usually need is knowledge and experience. They need a good topic, interesting characters, actual problems and trials that the writer can relate to and a realistic ending.

We rarely get that these days. And while I like my fair share of escapism, in the long run it becomes shit. It's like eating candy all day long, it tastes really nice but is unhealthy and makes you fat and will lose its flavor at some point.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Feb 7, 2014 8:07 AM

Nov 2013
Orsonius said:
For example. The writer is a loser who never got laid. Now he makes a story in which the protagonist (he himself inserts) has sex with a lot of girls.
Or he is super strong, or becomes the king of the world, or god or whatever he writer likes to be.

In the case of Witchcraft works the writer creates a generic Boy and a super popular girl, who is also a magician and basically immortal that protects him from harm, loves him and oh well what else, she is rich, everyone loves her, he is engaged with her and all the other bullshit.

That is all wishfulfillment. It's fanfic writing. It's when chubby ugly girls write stories in their diary about a prince who loves them and they live happy ever after.

The author of the Witchcraft manga is a female, if that matters.
Feb 7, 2014 8:08 AM
Nov 2013
gamer2710 said:

Just wait, someone from the elitist club is gonna derail this thread to oblivion.

What do you mean? Some people might think that this thread is a troll attempt. But believe me, this is just a discussion. I really want to discuss this, I'm not that kind of guy who likes to fool around. Anyway, I don't want them to get banned either. But a more balanced market would be nice.
Feb 7, 2014 8:16 AM

Mar 2012
Do you mean the anime's fanservice? I don't think it does any harm to be honest.

In Naruto you barely have any fanservice I think. Well, Tsunade maybe, but even then, compared to show's like Highschool of the Dead, it's pretty mild. It depends on the show/setting. With HOTD it just fit right into the anime's plot and setting if you ask me.
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Feb 7, 2014 8:19 AM

Aug 2013
Radioskpup said:
Orsonius said:

I never realized that, no wonder it doesn't have a lot of ecchi and there is no harem.
Feb 7, 2014 8:24 AM

Jul 2012
Radioskpup said:
Orsonius said:

Well that doesn't remove all the indicators.
So she wrote a story that would be popular among boys.

Or the other route, she is the Witch.
She inserts herself into the roll of the super popular witch. In any case it is not realistic in any sense. And I know magic also isn't realistic, but that is part of suspension of disbelieve. I have no problems accepting magic and witches exist in a fictional work, but I have trouble accepting all these other things I mentioned also can happen.

It feels to me more like stroking someones dick than showing them a mirror to look what pathetic losers they are.
Feb 7, 2014 8:31 AM

Jan 2012
Banning them is ridiculous since there are people who enjoy them
...but yeah they suck
Feb 7, 2014 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
Orsonius said:
Radioskpup said:
Orsonius said:

Well that doesn't remove all the indicators.
So she wrote a story that would be popular among boys.

Or the other route, she is the Witch.
She inserts herself into the roll of the super popular witch. In any case it is not realistic in any sense. And I know magic also isn't realistic, but that is part of suspension of disbelieve. I have no problems accepting magic and witches exist in a fictional work, but I have trouble accepting all these other things I mentioned also can happen.

It feels to me more like stroking someones dick than showing them a mirror to look what pathetic losers they are.

Not sure if it's entirely intended to be popular with boys, because I've seen some males disgruntled over the role reversal where the male MC performs the role of the damsel in distress. It also is one of the few shows airing at the moment which strays away from typical moe and actually presents a cast of characters that look like they have meat on their bones like regular humans.

Plot-wise though, I think it's too early to be making the calls you are making, even without reading the manga I can tell we've barely reached the point of relevant plot yet, this all smells like story set-up to me.
Feb 7, 2014 8:44 AM

May 2013
Nope- because done right the SOL is amazing.
Like every genre theres a bucket load of rubbish first.
Feb 7, 2014 8:45 AM
Nov 2013
renders said:
Banning them is ridiculous since there are people who enjoy them
...but yeah they suck

Hahaha, right to the point, short and sweet.
Feb 7, 2014 8:49 AM

Aug 2013
Radioskpup said:
Plot-wise though, I think it's too early to be making the calls you are making, even without reading the manga I can tell we've barely reached the point of relevant plot yet, this all smells like story set-up to me.
Exactly right. Even in the manga everything hasn't been revealed yet. The mangaka gives you clues and bits of pieces in order for you to piece everything together and fully understand the story. The main draw of the anime is mystery that's why I like it.
Feb 7, 2014 8:53 AM

Apr 2011
From what I've read of Orsonius' posts and going by his logic, Oda wishes to be a pirate, Ohba wished to be "the God of the new world", Akira Toriyama wished to be a humanoid alien, Masashi Kishimoto wishes to be a blond ninja wearing bright orange clothing, Miura wishes to be a bulked up guy slaying demons, etc......
Feb 7, 2014 9:09 AM
Nov 2013
Orsonius said:
Of course it does.

We get more shitty low fi shows every season and less actual shows with people who are talented.

I mean just look at the shows this season and tell me how good the writing is compared to other shows who don't focus on school kids doing random things.

I take Witchcraft Works as an example, because I think the writing is one of the worst I've seen in years.

>School setting
>Beta Male who is afraid of girls
>His family has no common sense, mother "forces" him to marry a girl, and his sister is super clingy
>The mysterious girl is over powered and saves him all the time from stuff (wish fulfillment)
>The villains also have no common sense, and are basically Team Rocket from Pokemon
>It will end in some cheasy romantic way which is totally unrealistic and on the quality of fanfics.

This is everything wrong with the industry.

People can't write stories, can't write characters. They are all just some cardboard cut outs we have seen a million times before. The story is School + [fill in the blank] because establishing a REAL setting would be work and requires skill.

All these fucking school shows are made by hacks who are not talented enough to make an actual good work of fiction.

You made your point, and I agree with you in parts. This season is really lackluster, but I'm hoping something better. I'm sure I'll be disappointed by the end of this year though; in the middle of tons and tons of shows, one or two will probably be good. But I guess this is not the anime industry problem. If you think a little bit, this happens a lot with movies, games and books. The low quality entertainment is a problem of the industry as a whole. I guess this is the way that things are. Damn, I'm becoming old and grumpy Hahahaha
blankflatFeb 7, 2014 9:14 AM
Feb 7, 2014 9:17 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
From what I've read of Orsonius' posts and going by his logic, Oda wishes to be a pirate, Ohba wished to be "the God of the new world", Akira Toriyama wished to be a humanoid alien, Masashi Kishimoto wishes to be a blond ninja wearing bright orange clothing, Miura wishes to be a bulked up guy slaying demons, etc......

That is just not correct, so apparently you misunderstood what I said or you misrepresent it.

There are stories which deal with characters doing things, and then there are stories which serve as an escape from your real life or problems.

Sword art Online for example is such a case.

Kirito is the perfect example of a wish fulfillment character.

>He is the strongest player in the game
>Girls he meets fall in love with him
>He finds the strongest female player and they marry
>They adopt a cute AI daughter which can do all sorts of cool things that are helpful for the plot
>He cums 2 years worth of jizz into Asuna (only in the VN but if that isn't straight up wish fulfillment)
>He can break the rules of the game, like being able to dualwield, beating the final boss even after he died (coming back to life through the power of deus ex machina)
>he can hack into the games system
>In real life is faux sister is also in love with him
>he can beat up a grown man and almost kill him for hurting his waifu

This is all part of what I call wish fulfillment.
It's about fulfilling your wish to be amazing and being able to do all these cool things, being popular, and getting all the girls (or boys) etc.

Radioskpup said:
Not sure if it's entirely intended to be popular with boys, because I've seen some males disgruntled over the role reversal where the male MC performs the role of the damsel in distress. It also is one of the few shows airing at the moment which strays away from typical moe and actually presents a cast of characters that look like they have meat on their bones like regular humans.

I have a hard time seeing this plot going anywhere. And even if it develops in a semi okay direction that doesn't remove all the bad parts about it.

I mean really, his sister basically has a crush on him, isn't that a fucking overused trope?

The mysterious girl from his class loves him and protects him from harm, it doesn't really matter if it is excused later, it is plain fanfic level of writing.

And damsel in distress is a terrible trope regardless of the gender of the damsel. The main character is a fucking wuzz.
He is afraid to kiss a girl who turned to stone even though it is almost 100% clear she likes him and she is like perfect and shit. Who wouldn't wanna kiss the hot, most popular girl in school if you were a teenager?
What kind of faggot (excuse me) is he?!
Feb 7, 2014 9:35 AM

Sep 2012
Well, not necessarily banned from this world, I do enjoy watching some from time to time, I just wish there were fewer of them, and even among them, more of the decent ones like K-On and Haganai instead of the shitty or meh ones like SAO and Yuru Yuri.
Feb 7, 2014 9:40 AM

Nov 2010
Feb 7, 2014 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
Anime wouldn't be anime if we didn't have these things, so no. I'd be very sad if they were to disappear.

And, with those things as a standard, it becomes easier to recognize the really high quality animes, so it's not like it's necessarily a bad thing anyway.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 7, 2014 9:44 AM

Oct 2012
If that's what's making the most money and largest profit margins in the anime market right now, then why the fuck would you want to get rid of it?
Feb 7, 2014 9:57 AM
Nov 2013
Litrydow said:
Well, not necessarily banned from this world, I do enjoy watching some from time to time, I just wish there were fewer of them, and even among them, more of the decent ones like K-On and Haganai instead of the shitty or meh ones like SAO and Yuru Yuri.

Yes, pretty much this. A club/school/"harem" that really worked for me was Haruhi. More things like that would be nice.
Feb 7, 2014 10:03 AM

Jul 2012
Tsuyuu said:
If that's what's making the most money and largest profit margins in the anime market right now, then why the fuck would you want to get rid of it?

Because we want to get rid of the people who give their money to these things as well.

Face it, humanity sucks, our culture is in decline and big companies are exploiting it for their own selfish reasons.
We have masses of easy to fool idiots who buy whatever crap they can and those people are the perfect target for all that pandering crap.

It's not really that the anime industry is at fault.
They just use the situation they are in, with all these Otakus being easy targets to make big money.
But our societies.
Feb 7, 2014 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
Orsonius said:
Tsuyuu said:

Because we want to get rid of the people who give their money to these things as well.

Face it, humanity sucks, our culture is in decline and big companies are exploiting it for their own selfish reasons.
We have masses of easy to fool idiots who buy whatever crap they can and those people are the perfect target for all that pandering crap.

They just use the situation they are in, with all these Otakus being easy targets to make big money.
But our societies.
Kind of an overreaction there.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 7, 2014 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
Orsonius said:
Tsuyuu said:

But our societies.

humanity sucks because of niche medium
makes sense......

*throws more random generalization because mad*

Feb 7, 2014 10:15 AM

Dec 2013
Orsonius said:
Tsuyuu said:

But our societies.

Irrational statement much?
Indeed this statement is why humanity has declined
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

78 by Kikugi »»
10 minutes ago

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 2 hours ago

7 by Otakupervert890 »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Apr 23

51 by Toooooooooohru »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - 10 hours ago

12 by LordSozin »»
36 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

74 by pludel2 »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.