Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2009 7:14 PM

Oct 2007
About 10 years ago, my friends and I were discussing about useful and nonuseful classes that we think we need to learn from. Most of us agreed that math, English, and science was acceptable classes to learn from. Lastily, we thought that history was the most irrelevant thing to ever learn from. It might be that our teacher at the time didn't teach history right.

Years later, history in high school was taught more better. I guess it might be that I learned the same thing and my ears were open, so to speak. A quote in my English class was on the board, and it was there every single day. It was something along the lines of 'without history, there is no future' or something like that.

Nowadays though, I think history is something to remember. The past shapes the future of everything: people, animals, land, culture, etc...

Your opinion?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 11, 2009 7:16 PM

Jul 2007
Because it's interesting.
May 11, 2009 7:17 PM
Dec 2008
Without knowing are past we can't move to the future. (Something like that)
May 11, 2009 7:17 PM

Feb 2008
Because it might allow for one to prevent similar events from re-occuring. Or it can teach about how things have previously happened and allow us to better estimate or hypothesize about current events.

Just my 2 cents :P
May 11, 2009 7:28 PM

Apr 2009
Yea history is too teach people to not repeat stuff in the past. Aka like wars which obviously we arent too good at doing. The holocaust is another reason we learn history and the list goes on.... it also teaches how people adapted and too use that in your future or to not use it.

Thats why i think we learn history
May 11, 2009 7:30 PM

Sep 2008
I didn't care for it much when it was required, but I found it to be a helluva lot more interesting learning about the cultures I wanted to. The only thing I never really liked learning about was American History, for the most part.
May 11, 2009 7:30 PM

Feb 2008
his story eh?

They are all biased in some way but they are somewhat entertaining and interesting as Scud said.
May 11, 2009 7:34 PM

Aug 2007
cause they don't want a Hitler #2.

basically, history can be also called "the subject that teaches you the human mistakes in the past that we don't want in the future."
May 11, 2009 7:45 PM

Apr 2007
There's no such thing as history; there are only historians. A good one will prove that the truth is not only stranger than fiction, but vastly more entertaining as well.

<-- Liked it so much, got a couple of degrees in it!
May 11, 2009 7:48 PM

Feb 2008
MotokoAramaki said:
I didn't care for it much when it was required, but I found it to be a helluva lot more interesting learning about the cultures I wanted to. The only thing I never really liked learning about was American History, for the most part.

I agree. American History wasn't much an interest to me, but I really did enjoy world histories!
May 11, 2009 7:51 PM
Jun 2008
History is the memory of our entire existence.

Not knowing it is like waking up in a dreamland and wondering what the hell happened, why are you here and what will you do next.

To not learn history is to not learn the story of your life, mate.
May 11, 2009 7:51 PM

Sep 2008
Watch Pale Cocoon and you'll find out why. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2009 7:57 PM

Oct 2007
Frequencity said:
blackwings said:
Your opinion?

you're an idiot.
You're not any better by responding like that.
BlackAssassinMay 11, 2009 8:01 PM
May 11, 2009 8:14 PM

Apr 2009
Rub_my_Fanny said:
keainanhai said:
Because it might allow for one to prevent similar events from re-occuring. Or it can teach about how things have previously happened and allow us to better estimate or hypothesize about current events.

Yup. Like at the time of the holocaust. Nobody believed it was actually going on, they never heard of such a thing and they just thought it was propaganda. Now if a similar event reoccurred it wouldn't be as unbelievable.
Nope, humanity is pretty incapable of learning from its past if it's just put into a trendy new coat.

Take psychiatry for instance. Labelling people as 'insane', locking them up with no real treatment occurring, no one has yet to be cured from schizophrenia, mind you. And then saying it's 'to help them' to the general populace while once in a while a scandal breaks put about what really happens there and people then forget about it in a few weeks. The Jews were taught to work, weren't they? It's the same old story over again.

Or take for instance the fact that interracial unions were once considered pretty taboo with no real scientific basis, same is going on now for different-age unions and again there is no clear basis and it's just a wild assumption that it's 'harmful' which isn't proven, on the contrary actually. Just some-thing people make up to justify their shit.

Or take for instance the RSI hoax, it turns out that RSI isn't caused at all by extensive computer usage, on the contrary, people who are more often behind a computer have less chance of gaining RSI from it. It's not based on the time you spend behind the computer at all. And any child isn't going to get it any more is the expectations, if you've grown up with computers you adapt to it. Adults can still get it but it's not related to the time they spend behind their computer at all. It's just a way to keep children from the computer. The same old story again as supposedly TV tampered with your eye sight, yeah right, was also a big hoax.

And are you kidding me? History is one of the most useful subjects there is. What use do you have for anything above 7th grade math, unless you go into a profession that demands it? Physics? Bio? Chem? All of them are useless unless you go into the field. History transverses all fields.
It's called general trivia and should thus not be taught at school be simply be obtained through the senses. History is just general trivia which might be interesting to build a perspective but doesn't advance. Mathematics is vital to advancement.
May 11, 2009 8:21 PM

Dec 2008
Scud said:

and without the past it wouldnt have made the present and future. Some of the things now that are happening also deals with past things too.
May 11, 2009 8:22 PM

Dec 2008
Why do we learn history?

well why not?
May 11, 2009 8:23 PM

Apr 2009
timeandtimeagain said:
Scud said:

and without the past it wouldnt have made the present and future. Some of the things now that are happening also deals with past things too.
Bullshit.

As much the instantaneous model of time, as the arrow model of time or the aeternalistic model of time are from our perspective essentially repraesentations of the same object.
May 11, 2009 8:23 PM

Oct 2008
Depending on where you are...

History in high school is probably one of the most boring classes where you would try to take a nap.

However, when it comes to college.. History class is intense because there are professors who are earn some extra cash for what they teach and thus, it is usually propaganda that you learn and in a very provocative way meaning that his/her propaganda will either win your support or offend you; otherwise, their extra paycheque will be gone if students start to either ditch class or sleep.
May 11, 2009 8:42 PM

Oct 2007
Rub_my_Fanny said:
keainanhai said:

Yup. Like at the time of the holocaust. Nobody believed it was actually going on, they never heard of such a thing and they just thought it was propaganda. Now if a similar event reoccurred it wouldn't be as unbelievable.

And are you kidding me? History is one of the most useful subjects there is. What use do you have for anything above 7th grade math, unless you go into a profession that demands it? Physics? Bio? Chem? All of them are useless unless you go into the field. History transverses all fields.
That's true in most cases. I was just a kid at the time though. Kids didn't know any better, and some were into other things at the time.

All in all, history needs to be taught. It's part of lessons in life.
May 11, 2009 8:47 PM

Apr 2008
not sure

for the past 7 years the only thing i've learned is that we originated from cavemen. :\

May 11, 2009 8:48 PM
Jun 2008
Kira01 said:
Depending on where you are...

History in high school is probably one of the most boring classes where you would try to take a nap.

Probably. History being taught in my school is utterly incredible. The teachers teach at year 1 university level from about the American equivalent to 9th grade, I think it is? Whenever you're about sixteen or seventeen. For people who go to/been to secondary school, Fifth Form.

So History class was never once boring. Had radical teachers, traditional, worldly teachers... they made every class interesting.
May 11, 2009 9:10 PM
Feb 2008
Years later, history in high school was taught more better.
I'm sorry, what did you say about English class again?
May 11, 2009 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
blackwings said:
Years later, history in high school was taught more better.

i think your english teacher needs to tutor you "more better"

May 11, 2009 9:20 PM

Apr 2009
Rub_my_Fanny said:

Although that is true to some degree, humanity has indeed learned from it's mistakes. #1 being the holocaust as I said before.
And I just explained that a holocaust is going on at this very moment. It's called psychiatry. It's pretty much selective nazi science and the concept of 'mentally ill' still cannot be defended to proper scientific rigour. It's really just selecting out what suits you.

Another is the separation of church and state. Humans saw the wrong they had caused in the puritan society
Awesome, now we have a union of corporations and state? Nonelected corporate heads wield considerable power in lobby.. don't be that naïve. As I said, you just put it in a new packaging but essentially the same thing's essentially still here.

what with the witch hunts and all, and although this did resurface in the Red Scare it was much more mild.
No witch hunts any more? Here in the Netherlands, a year back a guy was beaten up by a mob because he shared the name of some guy because some media reporter who thinks he's the police himself (crime reporter) keeps saying that he killed Halloway.

Or Yvonne van Hertum launching her witch hunts against 23 year old guys having some chat convos with 16 year old girls which could with some selectiveness be interpreted as 'erotic' if you really see what you want to see. People beaten up and killed for this. Don't hold your species to that much merit, you are incapable of learning from your past. The churched silenced people because they said things inappropriate about God. The state does the same thing nowadays with that you can't say what you want on TV, you can't even say 'fuck' at prime time. It's the same old thing still going on. You're simply on the right side of the fence now yourself.

And because of the burning of innocents the people learned to take what the church said with a grain of salt. Resulting in today's society.When the US saw what the cost was of war in the Revolution and the 7 Years War, Washington decided to become an isolationist country.
with a death penalty? And a former head of state still charged by the UN for war crimes and no way they are going to extradite Bush, it's just 'not done' and no one can come to take him as it risks a war. It still goes on, you just notice it a little less if you're in it yourself.
[quote\As for interracial marriage, people have certainly taken steps in the right direction. Before it was illegal for a black man to whistle at a white girl, in fact I recall an instance where the man was killed. The thing is hate will never fade away.Now a 25 year old guy can't marry a 9 year old girl, That used to be pretty okay. In fact, one of the most influential enlightenment thinkers of all times did it. Muhammad, final prophet of the Almighty. And yap, Muhammad was an enlightenment thinker. He called for reason, rights, freedom of speech and so on. I guess that Iran really hasn't learnt that much, neither has the US and the rest of the 'west', you simply don't notice if you're doing it yourself and probably approve of it. Iran stones people for having sex outside of marriage. Britain locks you up for having sex with a goat. Both are utterly absurd and in both none is harmed. It's just deemed as 'inappropriate' by the respective cultures.

I guess you're right. But seeing others' perspective is necessary to advance as a whole.
Advance? More like simple 'change', from shit to another type of shit. You're human, advancement is currently beyond your capabilities.
May 11, 2009 9:25 PM

Jun 2008
i always thought it was unneccessary to force people to learn history twice, once you take one in depth course in world history your set... because i guarantee nothing has really changed in the next 3-4 years that will build upon your previous knowledge of history... i think its useless for highschools and colleges to require history classes because it make sense and be better for the entire education system if there was just one year long course in world history that was very indepth and if someone wanted to become a history teacher they can take that course 5 more times until they've memorized the events and all those other bold terms in that history book... that's my opinion on history...

First Sig built from scratch 2nd overall^^^
May 11, 2009 10:05 PM

Jan 2009
I like learning about history.
May 11, 2009 10:24 PM

Jul 2008
timeandtimeagain said:
Scud said:

It indeed adds to understanding our present and future.
May 11, 2009 10:27 PM

Dec 2008
Khorven,

I actually agree with your position that history does not lead to advancement, but your conclusion that it is worthless general trivia does not follow. This conclusion is based upon the assumption that history must decrease the repetition of human faults. I do not think that is history's purpose, in fact that is a very Enlightenment view in the first place. It is a result of the scientific paradigm being applied as a universal principle of value.

History is not simply the chronicling of events for the purpose of accurate records, all history is fiction, that is, it is written from a certain perspective at a certain time. Thus history proper is more akin to mythology than anything else. Now, there are plenty of anthropological arguments for myth being an essential cornerstone of human society (Levi-Strauss and Merleau-Ponty come to mind here). We tell historical myths for many, many reason, not the least of which is to provide a shared commonality for forming any specific society. It is interesting that Plato would begin his perfect city with a myth that ties it together, assigns a class system, and provides a rational for communal existence.

This tendency is repeated in almost any society you study, it is similar to providing a similar outlook or having the same language. Myth anchors community. Even modern societies operate under a common mythology, although this mythology has become the scientific paradigm which now infects every aspect of existence.

On a side note, your references to insanity are interesting, but more complicated then you are making them. On the one hand, neuroscience does have some things to say concerning brain physiology, and drugs can have a positive effect for certain people. Now, this is not a universal claim, and it must be treated on a person to person basis. As for the history of insanity, have you read Michel Foucault's Madness and Civilization? If not you should, it has an excellent genealogical study of the classification, customs, and institutions that deal with insanity.
May 12, 2009 12:04 AM

Jul 2008
History was one of my favorite subjects. I loved learning about it but my exams were shit cause I could never remember all the dates! =P

By understanding history we are able to learn from our mistakes and we are able to prevent the horrible events that did happen from happening again. We can accept the fact that these things happened for a reason and either move on or keep dwelling on the fact that there might have been more to the event that we are told and try to research it some more.

May 12, 2009 12:55 AM

Mar 2008
Like everyone said to learn from our predecessors mistakes and not to do the same but alas we never learn. i.e WWI, WWII... should i continue to list.
May 12, 2009 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.

-------

Maybe a tad out of context, but whatever.
May 12, 2009 1:05 AM

Mar 2009
History when I was at school was very tedious and bias - all we learn't were the dates of Kings and Queens and the glourios things they were supposed to have done. There were no references to the common folk or what was happening in the rest of the world except if we had successfully invaded them - or our acts of genocide during various occupations during the height of imperialist days and only a fleeting mention of how the countries wealth stemed from the slave trade - which is probaly one of the reasons English people think they are superior to everyone else.

Though i was always a bit of a rebel at school it made me interested in alternative view points and still read history books.

Unfortunatly I think Khorven is right as a human race we do not learn from our past as recent events in Daafor highlight - the only difference from Hitlers germany and today is that we live in a 24 hour media society where liberals can say how appalling it is while the rest of the developed world get on with their daily lives and the UN does nothing but debate.

I can not remember who said "History is only written by the Victorious" which I still think is apt.

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

May 12, 2009 1:18 AM

Dec 2007
I liked history when I had it. I still like it. To see how people were in the past is fascinating. What habits they had and we should have kept, what was stupid, what was wise, what we did not really want to keep... In theory we should learn from previous attempts (and we did, as we learned denial), if it happens in reality is not relevant for me.

But I like the quotidian more, like how toilet paper appeared and what people used before it.

Plus, knowing history gave me bonus points at the surgery exam. Claude Bourgelet, the founder of veterinary, plus another ton of nifty names. I bet the teacher had an orgasm reading that exam.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 12, 2009 1:57 AM

May 2008
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. - "a page of history is worth a volume of logic"
May 12, 2009 3:33 AM

Sep 2007
slenderfall said:
I can not remember who said "History is only written by the Victorious" which I still think is apt.

"History is written by the victors", said by (or at least, attributed to) Winston Churchill.

Yes, very apt. Who's to say the version of history we've been learning is true?
May 12, 2009 3:59 AM

Feb 2009
when people say things like "why do we need to learn history" i have to laugh at there failure, as the only alternative is to cry
Anime makes me smile!

:-)
May 12, 2009 4:06 AM

Jul 2008
CylonNo8 said:
when people say things like "why do we need to learn history" i have to laugh at there failure, as the only alternative is to cry

When people use 'there' instead of 'their', I have to laugh at their failure as the only alternative is to cry.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
May 12, 2009 4:46 AM

Feb 2008
"If you don't know your history then you are doomed to repeat it."

I personally love ancient history, I wish I could take a course in it but you need a history degree at A level. At my school they just teach you about the Russians and Germans, I personally would rather learn about the Egyptians and the Romans. They were awesome.
May 12, 2009 4:59 AM

Dec 2007
Urjuan said:
slenderfall said:

"History is written by the victors", said by (or at least, attributed to) Winston Churchill.

That's why you should read 3 versions. The version of the one who won, other by the one who lost and a final one by the guy that was laughing at the side lines.
May 12, 2009 5:01 AM

Feb 2005
There's a lot of pointless classes, but History is not one of them. Most of the later stages of math, biology and the lot is useless unless you are aiming for that field later one, while history is at least good to know in order to understand why things are they way they are. You can't understand the present unless you understand how it came to be that way. Learning history won't necessarily help you prevent mistakes though.

what's more of a problem here is the christian biased religion class. What is this, the Dark Ages? This country is one of the most secular in the world, yet we still haven't progressed on this at all? It's a scandal. Religion should be a part of history class, and t should not endlessly drone on about crhistian mythology. Whatever happened to things like Zoroastrianism or Confucianism? And Norse mythology isn't even talked about that much, even though it's our real cultural heritage.

There are a lot of other things people should learn as well, law related topics that one might come across in daily life, certain psychology topics like those pertaining to attributional errors and heuristics for example.
But school is full of shit and time wasting, and let's not even begin talking about No-way's language identity crisis.
May 12, 2009 5:07 AM

Feb 2008
Baman said:

what's more of a problem here is the christian biased religion class. What is this, the Dark Ages? This country is one of the most secular in the world, yet we still haven't progressed on this at all? It's a scandal. Religion should be a part of history class, and t should not endlessly drone on about crhistian mythology. Whatever happened to things like Zoroastrianism or Confucianism? And Norse mythology isn't even talked about that much, even though it's our real cultural heritage.
I absolutely agree. I'm taking a Religious Studies course right now. I was under the impression when we started that we'd be learning about the World Religions but so far (I'm done with my first year), all we've done is learn about Christian Ethics and Philosophy. Even learning to apply Plato/Socrates/Aristotle to the Christian God which I personally think is just plain wrong. Surely we should be learning about the the pagan religions on which Europe built it's roots from. For example, Norse or Celtic. If we're learning about Greek and Roman philosophy, shouldn't we be learning about Hellienic religions? It's a bit ridiculous and pointless.
May 12, 2009 5:13 AM

Dec 2007
Everyone should learn history like we do:

"And before everyone was Catholic and they decided to conquer the world and give it more Jesus. People in the rest of the world did not want Jesus, so we shoved it down their throats and therefore we rule." Hah

I think the only biased part of our teaching is "Spain is ugly, Spain is evil, Spain is weak, Spain is a cheater" during the whole Universal Teaching till the mid 40s, where it starts to focus more in our own history - much more interesting than Spain's anyway.

This to say that if you tell facts as they were, even if you don't touch every issue, kids will know how to discern things better. We also had brief classes on the rest of the world's history, on who killed who and why and we must admit Religion had a great influence in some events. When it influences, we refer it. When it does not influence, we don't refer it. But, hey, I even had classes to explain the basic of each belief so we could understand the acceptance - or not - of the Christianity on each country we owned.
May 12, 2009 5:37 AM

Mar 2009
first of all nee sama maths is soo irrelevant to me i mean what was wrong with the good old barter system in the olden days no money no counting no compound interest no percentage....what a life! physics and chem too are hatable for me....biology is something i love as for english yah its okay my 2nd language not so much!
as for history ive always loved it! i love it more now that were doing ancient civilizations king ashoka and religeons and stuff but a small potion called civics i dont like!
i mean the indian constitution and politics i twisted really TWISTED dude!
so now you know my wholle school subject liking and disliking history..LOL!
May 12, 2009 6:24 AM

Sep 2007
ladyxzeus said:
Urjuan said:
slenderfall said:

That's why you should read 3 versions. The version of the one who won, other by the one who lost and a final one by the guy that was laughing at the side lines.

Third version sounds most trustworthy. :D
May 12, 2009 6:57 AM

Aug 2008
Because it shows us just how savage humanity truly can be, viva la vietnam!
May 12, 2009 7:58 AM

Feb 2005
Rub_my_Fanny said:
And sex with animals? Animals can't give consent, so it's basically rape.
They also don't bother about rape at all unless they're physically injured. If anything, they'd be likely to enjoy it.
May 12, 2009 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
World war I sucked hard, the sequel was better.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.