Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 13, 2015 7:51 PM

Dec 2014
People say she trusted him too easy but after overhearing the mention of "information on Kira case" and making that conversation with these guys near her it's normal it was piece of cake for Light to gain her trust and persuade her to share what she knows. Light always acted first to say what he "suspects" in Kira case and also was first to tell his name with confidence to prevent her having any suspicion of him.

Light just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
NozdrefMar 13, 2015 7:54 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 18, 2015 12:02 AM
Dec 2011
oh....my..... L you are so kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii aha...screams have a nose bleed and faints ! oh..my....god.... I hope L catch light soon because he is killing people left and right ! this isn't luck at all light will soon find out..!

I love L he is very loyal to his own heart , strait forward and genuinely good person he is open to everyone's opinion and L admits "I HAVE LOST THE BATTLE BUT I WONT LOSE THE WAR I HAVE NEVER TAKEN RISK TO MY LIFE I WANT KIRA TO KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL WILLING TO RISK OUR LIVES IF THATS WHAT IT TAKES AND THAT JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL "L 's words moved me so much at this moment I knew that L will kick light's ass so bad that light will regret it for the rest of his life :3

I think by saying this L wants to save light from his evil way maybe L thinks that light is lost his way in this world also L and everyone else taking a big risk just to catch light maybe L thinks after seeing this someday LIGHT will understand that he is wrong and see that these cops are right and they can make the world a better place and that light can trust police.

"I mean if a man is willing to die to stop you ! you have to stop and rethink if you are doing the right thing !" I think this is what L wants light to do!

people WHEN L says a word you have to listen carefully because they have more deeper meaning than what it seems !
light( kira) you pick a wrong man to have a war with.. L I love you :3
Apr 23, 2015 9:05 AM
Nov 2014
RIP that woman then, I LOVED how light's hair colour changed at the end to red. Very eerie and creepy.
May 17, 2015 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
Enjoying the game Light is playing with L.

4/5
Jul 29, 2015 4:50 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
If she is smart as she was until now she did not tell her real name. Otherwise she isdead by now.

Aug 27, 2015 5:23 PM

Mar 2014
Omd this is so good
I dunno why I'm only watching this now
Sep 26, 2015 7:36 AM

Mar 2010
After seeing this again.. She really did trust Light way too fast .___. Probably because light mentioned his theory and it matched hers a bit.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 2, 2015 6:25 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
L's awesome. He's antisocial behavior and his superb intelligence make a great combination here. Light's so lucky!

5/5
Nov 5, 2015 2:17 PM

Nov 2014
Oh no looks like she is next. She seems nice but Light really has no choice but to kill her.
Nov 7, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2015
Finally L's Face is revealed! 😋
Nov 7, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2015
Finally L's Face is revealed! 😋
Jan 2, 2016 3:05 PM

May 2009
What's with the cliffhanger? ._.
Also, I don't think she told him her real name.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 19, 2016 7:59 AM

Jan 2016
pacuuuuu3 said:

Would be very stupid for someone that smart. I think she gonna lure him into a trap.

Apr 14, 2016 3:25 AM

Apr 2015
I already love L. He's too adorable.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
May 14, 2016 3:19 PM

Feb 2010
Joel_Shelton said:
I'm glad that I decided to watch Death Note. The popularity of the show was a massive turn-off from me. It's excellent so far.

Lmao same. Glad I finally decided to binge it!
May 15, 2016 11:15 PM

Jul 2014
I love this show but it just seems that's everything's too convenient for the plot. Like Raito happens to be this oficer and to be really smart and to find this Death Note and to have this ideal to make the world a best place, he also happens to manage all this Ray's incident and to meet his fiancee before the police.

Anyhow, I'm not saying all of these are bad things, I'm just saying that's a really big coincidence. This is a really good show tho, I'm loving it from the frist episode, it's hooking and interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2016 5:19 PM
May 2016
I just realized something, what if the name that woman gave out to Light was a fake name? And when Light will try to kill her, it won't work, because it's an alias?
Jul 29, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2016
Uhuhuhu very interesting! Shoko maki sure is clever as fuck tho! Ex FBI sure knows her thing xD

interesting episode for sure!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Aug 1, 2016 1:14 PM

Jun 2016
The way L looks and acts was hilarious! He is like a psychopath :D
If I didn't know better, I would think Light is the detective, and L is the psycho criminal.
Aug 30, 2016 12:09 AM

Oct 2013
That feeling in your gut that she faked a name.
Apr 11, 2017 9:11 AM

Sep 2016
The fiancee had her life in Light's hands. Not good at all.
Somehow I feel like she's a more cautious type of person. Wonder if she still has something up her sleeve to fight against Light or if something will happen to put her at an advantage.
Orikasa_MomijiApr 11, 2017 9:15 AM
Sep 14, 2017 4:39 AM

May 2014
L is cute in the weirdest way XD

Also, that woman is dead af...unless that's either not her real name or the Kanji in it are different?? I dunno, I'd be way to paranoid to give out my real name so easily if there was a guy out there who could use it to kill me after seeing my face one time.

Light is definitely growing on me though, it's rare to get main characters like that, yet still keep an air of intrigue surrounding them, so I find the whole thing pretty fascinating.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2018 8:49 PM

Dec 2016
You would think that L would realize the Light is like the smartest kid in Japan, and the fact that he is constantly outsmarting him could be pretty big evidence lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 30, 2018 5:10 AM

Aug 2014
Botato said:

2. The Death Note never runs out of pages.

how can you know that? is this a spoiler from manga?

I wonder why the art makes people look more like europeans and not japanese?
Already two people I like dies, Penber and now this girl :( I think I'll start hating Light ;/

Still want to know who got second diary...

Thyriad-oPPailovSep 30, 2018 5:29 AM
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Sep 30, 2018 6:23 AM

Nov 2013
Thyriad-oPPailov said:
Botato said:

2. The Death Note never runs out of pages.

It was a retcon. It's been so long I don't remember where it was mentioned, but it was probably an old interview or a data book of some kind.
Sep 30, 2018 8:31 AM

Aug 2014
Botato said:
Thyriad-oPPailov said:

It was a retcon. It's been so long I don't remember where it was mentioned, but it was probably an old interview or a data book of some kind.

hmm so I think you shouldn't post this as it could be taken as spoiler

anyway what I forgot to add after watching this episode was that L is writing on the table with marker, but while camera shown him from his left together with the table there is some notepad on table
a mistake from animators ;d
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 8, 2018 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
It was so unnerving when Light smiled, haha.

Feb 4, 2019 7:33 AM

Dec 2018
L statement about Light being childish and hate to lose is a very biased view. What L doing is just predicting and his prediction until now pretty much going in the right way which is very convenient.

Everybody just seems fine seeing L way of sitting.

I don't think Maki or whatever her real name is will die any time soon.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 20, 2019 4:48 PM

Feb 2019
This is getting tense, I think being a God of Death observing all this would be pretty fun xD
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Apr 2, 2019 2:03 PM

Dec 2007
Some thoughts that put in this thread and maybe the right answer to them.
Light's lucky - well, the writer Tsugumi Ohba said that Naomi supposed to had a much bigger rule in the story and being a help to L in the investigation due to her fiance death and to be the actually to "cool" female to investigate but because she finds a crucial clue to Kira (the fact he can in other ways than heart attack) since it will lead to difficult problems in the plot in the future he needed to end her rule, saying that her character was one of the difficult things he created in this series, so saying it was "pure luck" is exactly the thoughts of the author or as Light called him "there is another god besides a shinigami' and it's Tsugumן Ohba XD
Naomi' big mouth - it's not much of a question Light know how to open her mouth - by telling her something he thought (and won't surprise the police to know) he made her open her mouth, since the first minute Light heard her saying "something important in KIRA case" he knew how to made her talk, it's called psychological talking something like that, Light know well how to talk.
And if u ask where do I know what I said about Naomi it's written in the 13th volume.
Thyriad-oPPailov said:
Botato said:

I don't remember each volume but it's actually written in the HOW TO USE after the chapters, so it's something true enough to be taken as a spoiler and not made up.
Apr 13, 2019 7:11 PM
Apr 2018
Wait, there is something that is bugging me: how come did the guy impersonating L in the second episode died? That wasn't his real name and in this episode, Light's father said that all criminals dead until then had had their names shown on tv/news, etc and those whose names were misspell didn't.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it.
SaiDrewMay 5, 2019 3:18 PM
Jun 29, 2019 7:36 PM

Jun 2015
i like naomi and all but huh she really did trust light way faster than she should've with such important information
Oct 20, 2019 4:48 PM

Apr 2017
Jesus christ; Light is such a fucking creep.
Oct 20, 2019 4:54 PM

Apr 2017
Oh, and: To all of the people who think L is cool, just remember: He's not real, this is a fantasy show, nothing about him is realistic, you're not a misunderstood super genius who will one day be asked by the governments of foreign countries to solve supercrimes, your intellectual prowess is not directly proportional to how much of a gross weirdo you are.
Oct 21, 2019 8:40 AM
Jul 2018
some moments make me so excited and satisfied, I just smile at the screen hehe

For some reason I love Ryuk, the Shinigami. :)
Oct 22, 2019 11:29 AM

Nov 2015
This anime is amazing. What a great episode.
Jan 22, 2020 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
Rey's fiancee definitely gave off the vibe of an elite ex-FBI agent......until she went completely naive and dense. Hoping that she's trying for a trap/sting otherwise she is beyond dead!
Seriously?! With all the current info and your theories, should you not be treating nearly everyone as a suspect? And especially don't give out information like that to some random perosn you JUST met, regardless of who they're affiliated with *massive facepalm*
Mar 12, 2020 7:14 AM
Sep 2015
pacuuuuu3 said:

She didn't. That's why Ryuk laughed (cause he could see her real name)
May 24, 2020 10:33 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Lucky break for Light. I was expecting some sort of oversight or mistake to happen eventually but didn't think it would be thwarted so easily.
Jan 4, 2021 3:17 PM

Jan 2020
welp she's a goner.
Jan 20, 2021 8:48 AM

Jan 2016
No way Shoko lives past the next few eps lol. Also, a lot of this can be avoided if people give fake names out.
Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM

Jul 2017
Another just really gripping episode. Ignoring the context of the rest of the series and knowledge of my first watch and only focusing on this one, I love how the show is so consistent with its pacing and tone and the plot keeps on moving in interesting directions without taking detours or breaking that level of intensity at any point in the 6 episodes so far. At least for the start of the franchise, Tsugumi Ohba's writing has really been impressive for shounen manga standards, and Madhouse has done a great job in capturing the atmosphere that his writing aims to achieve, both visually with its grim color palettes and intense camera work and directing during the big time scenes.

This time around we get to finally see L in the flesh, although no name revelations since best to be safe than sorry, especially since giving out your real name during a time like this is like conceding defeat to Kira and Light. Quite the eccentric character with the odd ball nature at times, but the force that decided to work on the case with L were quickly impressed once they saw him in action with deductions.

Also, Light met Shoko Maki, the former FBI agent who was also Penber's fiancée and looking to hunt down Kira herself to avenge her late fiancée, Ray Penber who Light killed not too long back. Her deduction skills really were impressive as she came really close without being even on an official force to basically outline who Kira is without figuring out the exact identity but luckily for Light, because of the way he mentioned about Kira and L while seeming informed on the subject and wanting to fight for justice too, Shoko was too trustworthy with him to reveal everything she figured out about the reality of the incidents except the actual person who was responsible. Light was there at the right place, at the right time before she revealed even more to the police force. She's definitely not surviving too long since Light already got her on the palm of his hands but given how its a cliffhanger, should be exciting to see what happens next.

Bakuman really making me enjoy this Death Note anime more than I expected after 6 episodes now. It is Gary Stu vs Gary Stu, but my god it's entertaining and the tone and intensity have only improved with each passing episode. Makes me feel like a teenager again, even though I only saw this for the first time in 2017 as one of the first ten anime I saw.
May 20, 2021 7:56 PM

Feb 2021
L really is eccentric but in a cool way. Oh no Maki gonna die now...Did she give him her real name though?

Aug 29, 2021 8:08 PM

May 2019
I enjoyed seeing L a lot and really think his poor posture, bags under his eyes, disheveled look suits him as 'prodigy detective.'

I had such a problem though with Maki just trusting Light and letting out all that information.
Sep 23, 2021 4:57 AM

May 2011
User-Name said:
Some thoughts that put in this thread and maybe the right answer to them.
Light's lucky - well, the writer Tsugumi Ohba said that Naomi supposed to had a much bigger rule in the story and being a help to L in the investigation due to her fiance death and to be the actually to "cool" female to investigate but because she finds a crucial clue to Kira (the fact he can in other ways than heart attack) since it will lead to difficult problems in the plot in the future he needed to end her rule, saying that her character was one of the difficult things he created in this series, so saying it was "pure luck" is exactly the thoughts of the author or as Light called him "there is another god besides a shinigami' and it's Tsugumן Ohba XD
Naomi' big mouth - it's not much of a question Light know how to open her mouth - by telling her something he thought (and won't surprise the police to know) he made her open her mouth, since the first minute Light heard her saying "something important in KIRA case" he knew how to made her talk, it's called psychological talking something like that, Light know well how to talk.
And if u ask where do I know what I said about Naomi it's written in the 13th volume.
Thyriad-oPPailov said:

I don't remember each volume but it's actually written in the HOW TO USE after the chapters, so it's something true enough to be taken as a spoiler and not made up.

That info is so interesting! I never knew that despite watching the show multiple times fully. I’m so glad that Ohba went the realistic route rather than the political 1. The story is much better for it, and is thus a timeless classic. Yes, coincidences happen, and it is believable considering Light is the chief’s son and he was just bringing him a change of clothes. Plus he has great acting skills. It’s not like he knows no 1 at the station and was randomly walking by With a friend when he saw Maki Shouko. It is unfortunate how the ending of the anime/manga is so bad tho. The L vs. Light arc is definitely 10/10.

Regarding death note never running out of pages, it’s not really a spoiler since it is just minor trivial info that is never mentioned in any episode nor does it play any part in the plot at all. It is just a neat tidbit that a poster here mentioned to answer a question that show never does answer.

Anyway, great episode. Light meeting Maki Shouko is 1 of the most memorable scenes of the show, as the next episode will demonstrate. This is the start.

Simply epic.
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Nov 8, 2021 7:37 AM
Nov 2020
The best way to enjoy the show in my opinion is to not root for L or Light just enjoy the genius of both of them.
Jan 28, 2022 3:43 PM

Jan 2022
Light got so lucky there, also I have to agree with the last person in a way, instead of not rooting for either how about rooting for both.
May 11, 2022 3:13 PM
Apr 2022
She will die next episode
After he got her name
May 28, 2022 10:09 AM
May 2022
it would make sense for Light to kill Maki, but i think Maki being in such close proximity to Light before she dies would raise suspicion- at least, that would be my thought process if I were Light. anyway, I like the little detail of Light being represented with red while detectives that are opposing him (L, Maki, etc) are represented with blue. it's a nice touch
Nov 13, 2022 2:54 PM

Feb 2022
That woman is too smart

But... Light is more so I guess she's going to find a way to manipulate her or just kill her
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

394 by pakinho »»
Today, 7:16 AM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - Today

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
Today, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

128 by puffle9000 »»
May 3, 1:05 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

28 by Bunnix21 »»
Apr 30, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.