Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we actually never going to see what kind of kingdom Youko is going to build...

After watching all the 3 major plots iam wondering what kind of kingdom it would be, like an ova thats shows the status of the 12 kingdoms, around 100years later after ep45 ...

that would be cool...

overall, this show was pretty good!
Apr 24, 2009 7:49 PM

Nov 2007
I wonder what is going to happen to the kingdom of Tai and the Tai King hwo is still in Hourai
Apr 26, 2009 3:48 PM
Mar 2008
we need to demand them to finish the show, they need another 45+ eps
so if u speak jap post them to finish this show
Jul 21, 2009 12:41 PM

Jul 2008
Pretty good show overall but as for ending, it was at most avarage. I wish they at least showed some more episodes for Taiki arc, as it was rather incomplete (althought I heared that this arc wasn't finished in novels the anime was based on, so perhaps this couldn't be helped). Other than that I'd like too to see what kingdom Youko had built.
Jul 25, 2009 7:28 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
hajil said:
Pretty good show overall but as for ending, it was at most avarage. I wish they at least showed some more episodes for Taiki arc, as it was rather incomplete (althought I heared that this arc wasn't finished in novels the anime was based on, so perhaps this couldn't be helped). Other than that I'd like too to see what kingdom Youko had built.

They canceled the anime halfway through. Originally, it would have run for at least 15-20 more episodes to close off the Taiki arc, which is finished.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Feb 2008
wow it finally ends. this was a good run. lots of stories, but they didn't finish the story involving the taiki. hes still stuck in the real world with no memories. oh well. i really liked this one though.
Oct 29, 2009 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Predseln said:
So we actually never going to see what kind of kingdom Youko is going to build...

After watching all the 3 major plots iam wondering what kind of kingdom it would be, like an ova thats shows the status of the 12 kingdoms, around 100years later after ep45 ...

that would be cool...

overall, this show was pretty good!

Agreed! That would have made a much better final episode, rather than doing that recap episode at the end. Or an OVA as someone suggested.

It really is too bad they weren't able to animate the rest of Taiki and Tai-ou's story. I love that little kirin so.

Otherwise, a wonderful story. I'm glad I watched it all.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Dec 4, 2009 5:41 PM

Jul 2009
Go Overall Series gave it A 7 and i agree Should have gave us more on taiki
Dec 23, 2009 10:00 PM
Jun 2009
Here's some background if you're wondering why the series stopped in the middle.

The Twelve Kingdoms anime is based on a series of novels by Fuyumi Ono. The anime was canceled in the middle due to the author taking a long break from the series to focus on other works, and to this day she has still not finished the Taiki arc. The anime series was planned to adapt at least 6 novels: the 2-part Yoko arc, the 1-part Shoryu (King En) arc, and the 3-part Taiki arc. Only 1 of the 3 Taiki novels was adapted; the second was written but never animated, and the third will be written at some point in the future (according to the author).

If you'd like to know what happens next in the Taiki arc, I'd highly recommend the novels, which you'll have to wait for Tokyopop to slowly translate and release. Alternatively, you could read a fan translation online, some of which are quite good.
Jul 18, 2010 3:07 AM

Sep 2008
It was a less than stellar end, but I don't think anything could have topped the previous arc. I would have loved to see the characters a little into the future, but I'm just glad that they existed.

Overall, a great anime with Shihouka (Doll song) being breathtaking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2010 12:19 PM

Oct 2009
This was good, but yeah, too many questions weren't answered.
Feb 25, 2011 9:34 PM

Aug 2010
I was kinda disappointed that the last episode was a recap, but well, after watching 45 episodes, i have become attached to this anime and the characters, and i want more episodes! (despite the rather not so interesting beginning). If only there are more episodes, after all its epicness has only started.. :P
Jun 30, 2011 1:16 PM

Apr 2011
Bad luck they didn't animate the remaining books..
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Jul 17, 2011 2:03 PM

Sep 2008
K-Shuun said:

yea, bummer. Hope there's a reboot, preferably OVA reboot like Hellsing ultimate so they can adapt the stories at their own pace and also make sure the quality is high. That would be awesome, if it actually happens
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 23, 2011 9:46 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
koreye said:
K-Shuun said:

yea, bummer. Hope there's a reboot, preferably OVA reboot like Hellsing ultimate so they can adapt the stories at their own pace and also make sure the quality is high. That would be awesome, if it actually happens

Unfortunately, the industry will not adapt a series that is on hiatus by the original author, who may be working on a remake of Ghost Hunt. I would like another season of Ghost Hunt so it's all good.

I have read all the original books.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 28, 2011 8:30 PM

Apr 2009
I kind of wish they had ended it at episode 45. The story that came after was good, but it stinks watching an anime that gets canceled. Really would have liked some closure but I'm still glad I watched it. It was really good.
Feb 2, 2012 12:12 PM

Jan 2011
felt so incomplete and i'm dissatisfied :c
-what ever happened to kouya? did he just die without his promise being fulfilled?
-tai kingdom arc P:<
-i hate how keiki is rarely by youko's side unlike the rest of the kirins...
Feb 16, 2012 6:57 AM
Feb 2011
T_T

give more damnit... it can't end now, still awesome anime
Sep 25, 2012 6:32 AM

Feb 2010
Kouya seems to be the guy who was guarding around the mountain, I remember there's someone with his Youma bird beast.

This was an amazing show so much so I need my Juuni Kokuki craving, at least give me closure of Tai Kingdom arc.
Oct 16, 2012 4:21 PM

Aug 2011
NEEED. MOAR.

It's a shame anime wasn't finished etc etc ... but I would really like to see novels coming out so the anime can get a serious continuation (in addition to Taiki arc)
I want to see more Youko
Oct 28, 2012 6:45 PM

Feb 2010
Loved this version of Juuni Kokuki OP

Apr 16, 2013 3:45 PM

Jul 2008
one of those feelings.
where i wish there was more, i know this show deserved more.
but im glad i could see and experience as much as i did.
a great show
Apr 17, 2013 7:00 PM
Nov 2008
ARRRGGHH, this was so good and it cuts off right in the middle of things. I really need to see what happens with Taiki especially, dammit. He's trapped in the other world without his memories, and what about Tai? Got to go and root out the novels or something, I guess ;_;. How frustrating.
Jun 19, 2013 1:01 AM

Jun 2012
Not the ending I wanted to see for such an awesome story T_T

I can only wish that one day someone will decide to reboot the series, reading translated novels isn't really my cup o' tea.
Jun 28, 2013 7:44 PM

Feb 2013
Sigh, I finished this so long ago and I just remembered about it hoping that by now there would've been news on it's continuation. There isn't even a translation for the last books in English :(( we need to like spam whoever to get this back one >:O
Aug 15, 2013 6:49 PM

May 2011
It was a good and entertaining story but yeah, way too many things left unfinished or unanswered. It's truly a shame that it was cancelled.
Jan 16, 2014 3:30 PM

Apr 2012
wow this show was canceled? no wonder it felt so inconclusive. Oh well i'm still giving it a 9. The previous arc was the best I've seen in a while

Mar 24, 2014 12:44 AM

Jul 2008
This ended up being a great anime overall, but it took way too long to really get going. The ending was also very disappointing leaving so much open ended.

That said I still give it an 8/10 just for Rakushun alone.
Mar 26, 2014 11:13 PM

Aug 2013
I guess the only way to know what happened to Youko is to hunt for the LNs. I wanted to see the kingdom she was going to build and the new allies who now surround her. Well, Rakushun is finally going to be with her so we all know she'll be in good hands.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 16, 2014 8:59 AM

Mar 2013
A very good anime, with likeable characters. The last few epiosdes (after ep 39) felt a bit unecessary, in my opinion they should have ended it with ep 39, or 40. The anime overall: it had a nice start, great character development from the MC at the start.. her attending the throne felt a bit rushed though (ep13) the arc from ep 14-21(or so) felt unecessary since it left so many open questions and they focused away from the MC even though she was at this point the most important and interesting part about the story. The arc after that was quite nice however. The Shoukei story was very nice, especially with her development, Suzus part was the most uninteresting, since she really didnt feel as if she had spend 100 years serving in a palace with the way she acted, she was just too unrealistic as a character for me.

A thing I think they should have included is the possibility for other countries to invade, since it would have made the politics quite more interesting.. so every ruler can give a shit about the other kingdoms, and even insult them if he wants.. it doesnt matter anyways. (well trading at least is a possibility, but the didnt really discuss that)

Overall I gave it a 7/10
Jan 31, 2015 7:33 AM

Jan 2012
for me episode 39 the "true ending" of the series.

8/10 this anime.

really liked opening
AllenVonSteinJan 31, 2015 7:47 AM

Feb 13, 2015 4:02 PM

Jul 2013
anonforuz said:
one of those feelings.
where i wish there was more, i know this show deserved more.
but im glad i could see and experience as much as i did.
a great show

Agreed.At first when I started watching this it was a bit sketchy at first but I'm glad I sticked around .It truly was an interesting watch. :)
May 2, 2015 1:41 AM
Aug 2008
blue-y said:
I was kinda disappointed that the last episode was a recap, but well, after watching 45 episodes, i have become attached to this anime and the characters, and i want more episodes! (despite the rather not so interesting beginning). If only there are more episodes, after all its epicness has only started.. :P

Exactly this.
It was really a very nice show. I'd give it 9.
Glad that the only part they haven't complete is the most boring one (Taiki) although it's interesting to know what will happen with him. Ofcourse youko and shoryo's kingdoms too. Would be great to put an OVA about Taiki and another one about everybody else.
May 2, 2015 1:44 AM
Aug 2008
I watched 33-45 in the same day (Which I rarely do) and that's a sign for how good i liked the anime. Compared to only 1-3 daily as an average.
Aug 5, 2015 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
The Twelve Kingdoms is such an absolutely amazing and breathtaking fantasy series. I recommend anyone looking for superb and detailed world-building and character development to watch this ASAP. Youko is kind of cringe-worthy the first few episodes but that just makes her growth in the series all the more satisfying. The third arc is one of the best 18 episodes of anything that I've seen. Even though things are left a bit incomplete with the series being canceled, this is still a worthwhile experience and gets a 9/10 even with these flaws. It's just that good.

I just wish that there was someway to finish this series (in anime or LN form). I'll always hope for a reboot/sequel for this.
dankzelAug 5, 2015 4:41 PM
Dec 25, 2015 3:08 PM

Feb 2013
Recap series finale...

Arc1: 5/10
Arc2: 2/10
Arc3: 5/10
Arc4: 4/10
Overall: 4/10 (below average)

This anime should have only followed Youko. The rest was unnecessary filler. Yuka was almost as useless as Asano. She could have easily been replaced by some local assassin.
Jan 3, 2016 5:48 AM

Sep 2013
^ 4/10 rofl.

This show was just amazing, it's a shame they didn't finish it :/
Feb 14, 2016 4:25 PM
Aug 2012
I really liked this anime a lot. Some people say that the real ending of it for them is episode 39, but I'm actually a huge fan of the last arc. There's a lot to learn from that story. The anime in general has some great lessons, but the ones in the last arc were very important.

I have to say, though, that I agree with most who say that the last episode was less than adequate. A recap episode for the finale? That's pretty awful! And then there's obviously the parts of the story that we never got to say, like what happened to the Taiki. If we could get a few episodes to close things off, or if the novels could be written then that would be awesome.
Feb 22, 2016 3:46 AM
Nov 2011
A shame the lead designer fell ill and was unable to complete this anime. The abrupt ending really caused a lot of issues with some of the stories that were never finished (Taiki story and the final small arc/story after Youko's). I'm really hoping they somehow get around to completing the whole series following all the books.

All we can do is hope; as Mushishi had quite a large timegap (7 or 8 years I believe) before it got its second season and even a manga like Parasyte got an anime after so many years it completed.

If I could give decimals, 8.5/10 for the series. But since I cannot, I'll give it a 9/10.
Aug 5, 2016 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
Definitely would have been a stronger show if it ended at episode 39, but this last arc did provide closure to a number of side characters, so it served its purpose. Still, it's a bit of a let down after the previous arc, which had the makings of a great finale. I'm still wondering what the deal was with Taika and Yuka, the resolution of Suzu's story, why the alternate world even exists, how time functions between the two worlds, and a number of other things. According to the anime page, the anime ended abruptly, which explains this sudden end. Though, if it ended at episode 39, it would have felt like a complete package nonetheless, despite the events on Earth still feeling out of place.

That aside, I did have a number of other concerns with this anime that were not plot related. I spotted a number of animation errors from just a simple viewing, such as off-model shots, obvious talking head moments meant to save on animation costs, duplicated soldier models during big army shots, and even character models layered incorrectly when animated.

There were also at least three recap episodes that, while I appreciated as episodes to help summarize complex events, were quite noticeable when they don't add much else.

Twelve Kingdoms is an incomplete package, but for what it provided, it was amazing. I'll gripes aren't trying to make it sound bad, but rather, ponderings of how it could have been better. It was a great experience that I hope to revisit again in the future, as well as a source for a lot of discussion revolving authorial power, free will, and faith, but for now, I'll let my thoughts on this show stir for a while.
Mar 19, 2017 1:29 AM

Aug 2016
I agree that the last episode felt incomplete, and in many ways a let-down when compared to the rest of the series, but nonetheless, Juuni Kokuki has earnt a place as one of my faves - that world building!

I've heard rumours that the author began writing again last year, so I have hopes that one day this anime will be completed - whether news of that is in a year or ten, I am still in denial that they could leave this unfinished forever.

Ahha, in the meantime I plan on tracking down the translated novels, but that could prove difficult as I cannot find any ebook versions and importing them (at great cost) doesn't look like an option for me at the moment.
troublesomeoneMar 19, 2017 1:32 AM
Jun 24, 2017 10:42 PM

Oct 2012
Rakushun ❤
Now he's by Youko's side
Surely everything is going to be daijoubu xD

I'm so sad that last episode is a recap, most of them
Just when things got interesting it end :(

Shame old anime are really hard to get sequels
Except popular one they got everything
"Signature removed"
Feb 10, 2018 12:00 AM

Jan 2012
Well that's it huh? Just ending after a recap of the last mini-arc. Not the strongest ending, but I guess it's fine. I can see why people say it should have ended after the long arc that ended in episode 39 but oh well. So yeah, it took right around 10 days, but I'm glad I finally finished this. Unfortunately relief might be a better choice of words as I wasn't really big on this. For awhile the 8+ score this has on here surprised me, even after reading that it got better after the first several episodes. But I think I understand why it is scored as high as it is. The highlights of the arcs were very good. And to the supporters' credit it did get better, particularly after Rakushun was introduced and they finally made it to En; Rakushun easily being the best character in the series. But I feel like it didn't really stay better. You know that old saying it's about the journey and not the destination? I feel like the opposite held true for me regarding this series. The destination, or final few episodes, of both of the longer arcs were far more enjoyable than the slow, tedious buildup episodes they both had. Filled with obnoxious characters which made it harder to get through. Now some of them, primarily Suzu and the blue-haired princess whose name I couldn't be bothered to remember, did manage to become likable by the end. Others, mainly Asano but also Sugimoto, didn't. Not really anyway. I'm aware neither of these characters played the roles the anime gave them in the source novels, but that doesn't really change the fact that the anime chose to use them and did not use them well. Especially Asano who was pretty much dead weight to the story. His whole role was a forced, confusing mess. At least Sugimoto got out after the first arc more or less, even if she was obnoxious for nearly all of it. Then we got the two shorter arcs. They were both alright, but the first in particular with Taiki felt extremely pointless. Nothing came of it, and while I'm sure it was addressed in later source novels again, I'm just judging from this anime that has been over for 15 years and is most likely never coming back. I think the second one with King En was probably better just because it was shorter, though as I mentioned earlier weirdly placed at the end. There were other odd decisions like just skipping the fight at the end of the first arc against Joyei the false queen or whatever her name was, and of course there were those 3 or 4 padding clip shows. I'm inclined not to hold those against the show too much given when it was made, but at the same time they do add to a larger point I'd like to make: I feel like at least 15 or so episodes of this series I would never want to watch again, and probably more than that. And not because they were good but far too depressing like some anime movies, just because they were bad/extremely tedious to finish. So how can I give it a particularly high score? I can't so I'll go with a 6 out of 10. For what it's worth though part of me does feel like this still had potential to get better had it only gone on for longer. But I don't intend to seek out the source material so I guess I'll never really know for certain.
Sep 30, 2018 11:37 PM

Jul 2014
This anime has an expansive and interesting story, with lots of interesting characters and potential. It is a bit sad to see it end like this, some histories did not get a conclusion (what happened to Kei?) and some are missing continuation, but I understand it had to end at some point as the history didn't show any signs of ending.

To be honest I feel like the last arc was a bit out of place, it had to end around episode 39, maybe some episodes after addressing the fate of the two girls Youko met but is something else the anime didn't manage to clarify.
Oct 7, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2017
It's a shame the last episode is a recap, but I really liked that ending scene. The anime overall was pretty great; I really liked the music in this anime too.
Apr 19, 2019 4:03 AM
Jul 2012
Great show. With all the isekai hype going around the last couple of years it still suprises me that this one is still on top. Hope that someday it will return in some form. For now though lets hunt down the novels
May 5, 2019 10:38 AM
Dec 2015
its been years since i finished this i just wanna know what happens next 😭
Sep 13, 2019 7:18 PM

Oct 2015
Atsuyu was just a power hungry bastard who believed he was doing it all for the people, not that he was truly bad, but instead it was in his nature to do so! He became so obsessed with becoming more powerful than King En, that he even put the lives of his citizens in danger with that embankment. He showed his true colors when he wanted to attack Shouryuu's back, proving he was beyond help. As for Shouryuu, he is one useless king in my view, he promised Kouya a kingdom of his liking, but still hasn't delivered after 500yrs- useless indeed! As for our heroine Youko, we still haven't seen her promising kingdom, but I'm glad she will have Rakushun at her side. That Hanjyuu is more reliable than any kirin in this series, and certainly more reliable than the man who brought her there Keiki! It kinda pissed me off that we had to end the series with a useless backstory of Shouryuu, Rokuta, Kouya and Atsuyu conflict, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Overall it was a good series, but it had its downfalls though. Like why did they do that Taiki and Gyousou backstory and not finish it. Like what happened to Taiki, did he regained his memories of his past? And why did they leave their kingdom in the first place, because the backstory ending was vague about it and didn't properly engage us about what really happened? I wanted to know more since the story sort of forced that flash story on us, but later ditched it. The other is Sugimoto, is it really it for her? She kinda did promise a beginning of her story, so I wanted to know what is she going to do with Taiki, will she helped him remember or something? Is Youko really done with Hourai for good and decided to be a full on queen for Kei? But nonetheless it was a great series, that i completely loved and enjoyed.

Bias rating for me, 9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 11, 2019 5:36 AM

May 2015
Solid series. Too bad that there is now sequel. Oh well, still 7/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 27, 2019 3:29 PM

Nov 2008
If anyone is interested to know what happens to Taiki in the novels:

BiraruDec 28, 2019 8:14 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.