Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
I'm reluctant on starting long-running shounens, but if you could convince me to watch it and summarize all of its strong points in about a paragraph or two, that would be great.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 19, 2014 12:57 PM

Nov 2012
It's about a boy with goals.

RX-782Jan 19, 2014 1:04 PM
Jan 19, 2014 1:04 PM

Feb 2013
There are only 112 episodes to watch, I don't see that being a problem.
It depends if you have the patience to watch it or not.
Jan 19, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2010
It starts out with a bang, and hasn't stopped since.
Jan 19, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2013
just check out some hype reviews like Creshershm's

too lazy to sum up why you should watch HxH, but I'm just gonna say it's the only long running shounen anime that's worthy of being in your life.
Jan 19, 2014 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
its the best shounen anime adaption besides maybe full metal brotherhood. if you like no fillers, good animation, original story arcs, character development, and good fight scenes than you should definitely watch it. also nobody in this anime win fights thanks to "the power of friendship" or whatever bs animes like fairy tail and naruto use to make their main characters win.
Jan 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2013
That's one of the things I like the most about HxH. You don't have someone powering up 17 times and winning a fight like Bleach. The current arc it's in is amazing and one of the best I've seen. If you don't wanna watch over 100 episodes then watch the 1999 one with 62 episodes.
Jan 19, 2014 2:02 PM

Feb 2013
Because this show is well on its way to become the best anime of all time (already is to me).
Jan 19, 2014 2:06 PM
Aug 2013
It's /not/ like other shonens and it's hardly a shonen, that's why...

One of the very best... like FullMetal Alchemist for me :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Oct 2013
People these days are so freaking lazy... All it takes is to read the top review for HxH and you'll have your answer. Wonder how people even select to watch something or not.

With that out of the way. Watch it because it's intelligent,realistic, it avoids cliches and is unpredictable with insane plot twists, has great characters and char development, the battle system is unique and well thought out and the fighting system relies more on strategy and psychological factors than on raw power. There are no fillers and its very consistent almost no boring episodes. It's better than any other long running shounen, that can be proven by the No17 rating here on MAL at least.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jan 19, 2014 3:40 PM

May 2008
If you're going to doubt this show, then you shouldn't watch.

and you'll be missin' one of the best shonen ever.
Jan 19, 2014 4:01 PM
Dec 2011
Kyuutoryuu said:
I'm reluctant on starting long-running shounens, but if you could convince me to watch it and summarize all of its strong points in about a paragraph or two, that would be great.

I must say it is a very hard task to summarize an anime such as Hunter x Hunter in two paragraph's. For starters that is because HxH is quite the non-stereotype anime. Second thing is that its hard for me to know what your private tastes are - I can say what I like in HxH but that may not be of any interest to you. That said I will nevertheless try my best to summarize it for you... perhaps in points, so it wont get too long. If you truly are setting your sights on this series then please bare with me.

1. The manga has started its run before the year 2000. This means its an old-school show (even though its a remake) more like Dragon Ball. The author of the original manga is a very known individual and the creator of a timeless classic - YuYu Hakusho.

2. Its probably one of the most innovative shounen's out there. It certainly is a shounen and at the same time it is not. This means that even if you watched countless other shounen's you will never be able to predict the plot of HxH. Basically this is a deconstructed shounen.

3. The plot is great. Its one of the shows main advantages. Unpredictable, with lots of twists and centered not only around the main hero but also around other great characters. Starts lighthearted but by the time the show is now its pretty intense, dark and dramatic.

4. Absolutely 100% filler free! Only pure action, straight from the manga!

5. This show does not try to take its viewers by cheap tricks or by force. It has none of those "today's shounen" subgenre bull**** like echhi, comedy etc. etc. HxH is dedicated to its plotline and doesn't stray from its designated path.

6. As I mentioned this is not a simple story about a young boy... sometimes he is not even the main hero of an arc. Though the drawings are very colorful the world depicted is very realistic. I highly recommend this anime to mature viewers cause the plot and characters motivations may get hard to understand at some points. This (and the blood) was one of the reasons that its air time was moved from sunday mornings to tuesday evenings.

7. Its being made by MadHouse. I mean... come on! It doesn't get better than this. MadHouse shows always equals great animation and memorable music.

8. The power that the characters use is "Nen". It comes from within you and can take a variety of shapes and mode's. Compared to abilities from other series its a rich and versatile power that can grant the user great power. But as I said... its a realistic world. So positive attitude is not enough to win the day in the end. Also in HxH the more power you get, the higher the consquences for the user. You will never see anyone defeat a stronger opponent just because "his friends believe in him".

9. There are a lot of great, epic fights. But the real battle in HxH is not in the muscles or Nen. Its the battle of wills and intelligence. In this anime the one who is better prepared and has a strategy wins the fight. Heck! Most of the times the charactes consider if its actually worth starting a fight with someone, analyzing strenghts and weaknesses before jumping in the thick of battle.

10. Last but not least - you cant really say this is a long running series. Tomorrow airs ep 113. At most the anime will run for another year, cause thats where the manga material ends as of today.

The only downfall is that the author refuses to continue the manga. The real problem with Hunter x Hunter is that Togashi is one hell of a lazy writer, but no one can take his place because when he actually does write he is a unequalled genius! Thankfully the anime will probably not end with any cliffhangers since the manga didint either.

In short this may seem at first as a kids show cause the protagonist is a young, naive boy. That said its a mistake to think that way, as Hunter x Hunter gets very serious very quickly to the point where its one of the most mature shows airing today. Its still a shounen with its own world, its own set of rules... but from there it only starts to play with its own genre (unpredictable plot twists) and gets similar to the real world (death is permament; friendship is not enough to defeat evil; the good guys can be more despicable than the baddies etc.).
Jan 20, 2014 3:57 AM

Aug 2008
I say it's best for you to rewatch Lucky☆Star.
*badass mode activated*
Jan 20, 2014 5:45 AM

Sep 2013
You'll find out why its popular in the first place?
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 20, 2014 6:32 AM

Jan 2011
you should not see HXH if do you like the fanservice, and the common fights without sense: for example the main character fights against the army without any help

Just watch it
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Jan 20, 2014 6:44 AM

Sep 2011
Kyuutoryuu said:

Sorry but, that's not how it works. ^_^
Jan 20, 2014 8:39 AM
Aug 2013
btw I just saw your list, you have the longest 2 shonens on it -_- stahp lying you're not reluctant :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2014 12:01 PM
May 2011
Because it's fun?
Jan 22, 2014 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
it plays the same damn song for 100+ episodes
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 23, 2014 10:19 AM

Nov 2012
Because it's the best fighting Shonen anime in term of quality, after Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. but i prefer it over these two for my own reasons.
Jan 23, 2014 11:29 AM

May 2013
Watch it because it's better than most series in its genre.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jan 23, 2014 1:11 PM
Jan 2014
You made it through series 5 times longer and 10 times worse, so it won't be that bad
Jan 23, 2014 9:17 PM

Aug 2009
Its a great anime (10/10 for me)....It has everything you could possibly look for in an anime, well except for romance that's very subtle. However, every thing else it has. loving characters, great plot, amazing fights, etc.....I think its worth giving a shot even if your hesitant, that's what life is all about isn't it? taking risk. Just watch it and enjoy it for what it is.

To others in this thread, there is no need to bash or put down any anime in order to raise the quality of this one, its tasteless and doesn't truly help in convincing. If it's a good anime, then its good by its own standards, its unique, just like every other anime out there,
lovexLuffyMar 5, 2014 8:31 AM

Mar 1, 2014 10:43 PM
Aug 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:

It's not like other shonen mostly. it has no filler so far, is not fight crazy like other shonen and when there are fights, they last at longest an episode. Don't be turned off by the childish look. It's more mature than stuff like bleach. great character development too, and can go toe to toe with fullmetal alchemist brotherhood.
Mar 1, 2014 10:59 PM

Feb 2014
Basically bout a kid looking for his dad so he becomes this badass hunter and fights a bunch of people while looking for his pops. Also has a badass assassin kid who runs away from home due to his family problems, ends up helping the other kid look for his dad. It also got a peado/gay guy who gets turned on watching said kids. So if your homophobic or easily offended by peados it aint for u.

Anyway overall its a decent anime.
Mar 1, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2014
Five-Magics said:
Kyuutoryuu said:

It's not like other shonen mostly. it has no filler so far, is not fight crazy like other shonen and when there are fights, they last at longest an episode. Don't be turned off by the childish look. It's more mature than stuff like bleach. great character development too, and can go toe to toe with fullmetal alchemist 2003.

Fixed!
Mar 1, 2014 11:53 PM

Jun 2009
judals said:
Five-Magics said:
Kyuutoryuu said:

It's not like other shonen mostly. it has no filler so far, is not fight crazy like other shonen and when there are fights, they last at longest an episode. Don't be turned off by the childish look. It's more mature than stuff like bleach. great character development too, and can go toe to toe with fullmetal alchemist 2003.

Fixed!

I think it's better than both, there I said it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 1, 2014 11:57 PM

Jan 2014
insan3Spectre said:
judals said:
Five-Magics said:
Kyuutoryuu said:

Fixed!

I think it's better than both, there I said it.

haha, I don't find that surprising, although I still prefer FMA.
Mar 2, 2014 2:45 AM

Jan 2014
Simply put HxH is the best shounen anime right now.. :)
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 2, 2014 3:16 AM

Jan 2013
Because its the very best shounen out there atm. No shitty power ups, characters are awesome, villains are awesome, the plot is addictive, the soundtrack is good and fits the anime and the fights, oh the fights. These are probably one of the smartest fights I've ever watched in anime. No mindless fighting. Everything is pure strategy and everyone use their heads, unlike in most shounen nowadays.
Mar 2, 2014 5:33 AM

Dec 2012
marian11 said:
Because its the very best shounen out there atm. No shitty power ups, characters are awesome, villains are awesome, the plot is addictive, the soundtrack is good and fits the anime and the fights, oh the fights. These are probably one of the smartest fights I've ever watched in anime. No mindless fighting. Everything is pure strategy and everyone use their heads, unlike in most shounen nowadays.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3855143424/h82306795/
Mar 2, 2014 5:55 AM

Jan 2014
marian11 said:

Basically.
Although... The music does take getting used to at first, but becomes great later on
Mar 2, 2014 6:01 AM

Sep 2012
It has just about everything going for it. Captivating, linear plot, thought out battles, a cool magic system, great animation and a interesting cast of characters.
Mar 2, 2014 6:12 AM

Oct 2013
Capricious_Smile said:
It has just about everything going for it. Captivating, NON linear plot, thought out battles, a cool magic system, great animation and a interesting cast of characters.

Fixed..
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Mar 2, 2014 6:14 AM

Feb 2013
Because it's a shounen anime.
What more can you ask from an anime?
Mar 2, 2014 6:26 AM

Jan 2014
Ulquiorra1923 said:
Because it's a shounen anime.
What more can you ask from an anime?
Being a shonen while having a good story?
It's good the coolness of a shonen and the depth of a... Some series with depth.
Mar 2, 2014 6:33 AM

Dec 2012
soundscape said:
Capricious_Smile said:
It has just about everything going for it. Captivating, NON linear plot, thought out battles, a cool magic system, great animation and a interesting cast of characters.

Fixed..

How?

Gon wanting to be a hunter > hunter exams > saving Killua > going on adventure with him > arc about Kurapika goals> Gon entering GI > meeting Kite because and after it > learning about the ants > fighting the ants > being part of a team that invaded the palace > etc

How is that non linear storytelling/plot? It's as straight forward as it can possibly get. It revolves around Gon personal goal and the friends and the adventures he goes through.

HxH fans are amazing.
Mar 2, 2014 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:
Capricious_Smile said:

Fixed..
By classic definition, linear = chronological order. Relying slightly on flashbacks does not count. It's a type of narrative rather than a determinant of quality.
In that sense, it is linear.

But in terms of direction, each arc is open ended without a goal for the protagnist and a generic counter-goal for the villain. Or vice vers if the villain is on the offensive.
HxH characters are thrown into the scene and each one plays out his story until they clash at one point, it doesn't lead to a specific direction and usually changes. Hunter exam was simple enough till they got to zevil island ad that started from there and its peak was yorknew, GI and the CA
Mar 2, 2014 6:47 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
soundscape said:
Capricious_Smile said:

Fixed..

How?

Gon wanting to be a hunter > hunter exams > saving Killua > going on adventure with him > arc about Kurapika goals> Gon entering GI > meeting Kite because and after it > learning about the ants > fighting the ants > being part of a team that invaded the palace > etc

How is that non linear storytelling/plot? It's as straight forward as it can possibly get. It revolves around Gon personal goal and the friends and the adventures he goes through.

HxH fans are amazing.

Yea you are right. I confused linear plot with linear/predictable storytelling.

"HxH fans are amazing".... Was that sarcasm? If yes ( I think yes) was that needed? I already mentioned to you once about your frustration coming out in your posts... remember?
Mar 2, 2014 6:53 AM

Dec 2012
This is not frustration, there is nothing to be frustrated about anymore, I already finished the arc.

This was me being amazed by how HxH fans just like to lump every thing that has a positive connotation to the series, even if it doesn't make sense. I mean come on, there has to be a limit.
Mar 2, 2014 7:02 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
This is not frustration, there is nothing to be frustrated about anymore, I already finished the arc.

This was me being amazed by how HxH fans just like to lump every thing that has a positive connotation to the series, even if it doesn't make sense. I mean come on, there has to be a limit.

And in this case it was directed specifically at me... because you quoted me. Right? If yes, despite the fact that I am a huge fan of the series.. Have I given you reasons to believe that I am blindly defending the series not recognizing it's flaws???

And not to mention the irony of your post.... Because there is no other fan in this world of any other series that doesn't do this. Most of the fans defend the series they like blindly as far as I have noticed. But you mention this specifically for HxH???
Mar 2, 2014 7:07 AM

Dec 2012
Not specifically you since I said 'HxH fans. I just used you as an example because of what you said, you are certainly not the first to do it.

What does 'defending' have to do with anything? I said that the fans give credit to stuff that are not even there...I never mentioned anything about defending or recognizing flaws. Same thing can be said about one piece fans to a bigger extent.
Mar 2, 2014 7:09 AM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:

And in this case it was directed specifically at me... because you quoted me. Right? If yes, despite the fact that I am a huge fan of the series.. Have I given you reasons to believe that I am blindly defending the series not recognizing it's flaws???

And not to mention the irony of your post.... Because there is no other fan in this world of any other series that doesn't do this. Most of the fans defend the series they like blindly as far as I have noticed. But you mention this specifically for HxH???

Good arguments are difficult to maneuver, so it's easier to resort to name calling.
Besides, spending 11 months on a thread nitpicking about a bad character with praise is no big deal, apparently.
Mar 2, 2014 7:19 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Not specifically you since I said 'HxH fans. I just used you as an example because of what you said, you are certainly not the first to do it.

What does 'defending' have to do with anything? I said that the fans give credit to stuff that are not even there...I never mentioned anything about defending or recognizing flaws. Same thing can be said about one piece fans to a bigger extent.

Not specifically me but you used ME as an example... No specification whatsoever. You are absolutely right.... And I didn't give credit for something that there isn't, I just misunderstood.
What exactly are you talking about??? What credits HxH fans give to the show that this show doesn't have just curious. You might be right.

Why do people do this if not to promote or defend their favorite series???
Mar 2, 2014 7:36 AM

Oct 2013
judals said:
soundscape said:

Good arguments are difficult to maneuver, so it's easier to resort to name calling.
Besides, spending 11 months on a thread nitpicking about a bad character with praise is no big deal, apparently.

Man I am trying to be polite here and clarify some things with him. I don't think attacking him personally will do you, me or this thread any good. I know you are a huge fan but this kind of shit will only lead to pointless tower quotes with bashing and shit...
Mar 2, 2014 7:42 AM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:
judals said:
soundscape said:

Man I am trying to be polite here and clarify some things with him. I don't think attacking him personally will do you, me or this thread any good. I know you are a huge fan but this kind of shit will only lead to pointless tower quotes with bashing and shit...

I was not, but I can just point out the hypocrisy, of when you are so hell-bent on hating an anime that you have to read the manga just because the amount of praise an episode's getting that extra hate comments are needed to quell the rage.

Many people replied -or commented- as to why they liked something, and that's blind praise?
I know what you meant by non-linear and it not following the normal flow, despite misusing it at first, so do you think you were blindly praising just because you thought it was?
I'm just not buying it.
I may be a fan, which is why I discuss things regarding it, but I don't make it my life goal to hate on a series as a defense mechanism.
Mar 2, 2014 7:47 AM

Dec 2012
soundscape said:
tsudecimo said:

Not specifically me but you used ME as an example... No specification whatsoever. You are absolutely right.... And I didn't give credit for something that there isn't, I just misunderstood.
What exactly are you talking about??? What credits HxH fans give to the show that this show doesn't have just curious. You might be right.

Defend how? The guy you quoted didn't use the term in a negative way. Anyway let's just say it was a misunderstanding.
Mar 2, 2014 7:56 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
soundscape said:
tsudecimo said:

Defend how? The guy you quoted didn't use the term in a negative way. Anyway let's just say it was a misunderstanding.

You can "defend" something by promoting it... If you know what I mean.

Yes I know he used it in a positive way, I thought he wanted to say NON linear and made a mistake. Although he was right, I just misunderstood.

You didn't answer why it was needed to write... "HxH fans are amazing" (sarcastically). But I don't want to continue this shit, so you can have a nice day.
Mar 2, 2014 8:08 AM

Oct 2013

Oh come on... Of course you were. You basically indirectly were calling him names.

Yea most people might understand what I meant by non linear there. But not all. I think tsudecimo was right to point that shit out. What bothered me wasn't that but his last comment...
Mar 2, 2014 8:13 AM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:

Oh come on... Of course you were. You basically indirectly were calling him names.

Yea most people might understand what I meant by non linear there. But not all. I think tsudecimo was right to point that shit out. What bothered me wasn't that but his last comment...

and the last comment is what I was talking about.
I was analyzing how a hateful comment in disguise it was, not calling names. I think I'm entitled to that.

When a person posts too many comments that are out of place, you know discussion is not the goal.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 6, 2014

398 by GulBil »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kisami - Jun 23, 2012

209 by Nerdason »»
Today, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FrostToaster - Jun 16, 2012

327 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Jun 2, 2012

139 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

402 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
Today, 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.