Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 16, 2009 3:33 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
How did the random documentary on aliens and communication connect with the story?
Mar 23, 2009 6:05 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, too much information that don't make any sense...
I'd like to know what aliens have to do with the story too.
This is becoming more and more confuse.
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Jun 4, 2009 4:40 AM
Jun 2009
I think that the documentary was very relevant. The documentary was interesting in that it implied that by creating the internet, we are becoming like one huge network; and by comparing this network to the neurons in our brains, it seems that this network (or the 'Wired') would allow us to become like one entity, creating neuron pathways through information and communication.

I think the part with the alien and bit about Roswell was supposed to show how Lain was becoming more and more detached from reality, as the wired and the real world begin to collide and overlap. The aliens signify her own alienation and how different she perceives the rest of humanity to be. The episode also highlights the question of what reality is. As the Knights are supposedly changing the past through their omnipotent control over the wired, Lain is unsure of what has happened or if indeed, she has lost control of herself and is committing all of these acts whilst in some sort of semi-conscious state. On top of this, Lain is confronted with the concept of 'deleting' the past through the wired, and this challenges the concept of history. In the same way that The Ministry of Truth deleted the past in Nineteen Eighty-Four through modification of past events, Lain is shown that through the wired, it is possible to erase all evidence of something ever existing, and in doing so, effectively 'deleting' something from time and space altogether.

I think much of what is spoken about in SEL can be related to the current situation of the world. The fact that we are constantly being bombarded with information and propaganda means that we start to lose our sense of reality too, although not to the same extent that Lain does. Equally, as it becomes easier to connect with people all over the world, perhaps we are slowly becoming this 'one entity', each human being as one neuron, creating one massive brain through our communicative network...

I've only just finished ep8 though, so my opinions will probably change once I've seen the whole thing. :)
Jul 6, 2009 9:00 PM

Feb 2008
My brain hurts right now.

Only thing that was crystal clear to me was the boy and how her room "became it is now".
Sep 5, 2009 8:02 AM

Jan 2008
Starcorea, thanks, that was an interesting read. The whole deleting the past analogy to 1984 is quite clever, I didn't really think about it like that.

I must admit the whole Roswell thing also confused me bit at first.. actually it still does. Is it going to be a part of the main plot, or a symbol as Starcorea said.

Oh, and LOL and the gum swapping scene :D
Nov 21, 2009 10:52 PM

Aug 2009
The brain has 10 in 10-20 power neuron. And there are 6 milliards people on Earth. So number of people is very smaller than number of neurons in one brain. Society will not be a large webbrain. Too small.
Dec 2, 2009 11:27 PM

Apr 2009
waaa..!! So many random stuffs..!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2010 3:24 AM

Aug 2008
I think this episode is partially explaining the reason the Wired was created and how the concept works (?). The wired enables people to connect without computers etc etc etc. This is all just a guess though.
Jul 11, 2010 11:11 PM

Mar 2010
I sure did like the cute little holiday sweater that alien was wearing.

Jul 12, 2010 7:50 AM
Feb 2009
This is the best episode yet, and yeah, the sweater was pimping.

The correlation of the documentary is likely relating to a universal relevance in contrast the the wired on Earth. (thus the inclusion of more races than humans)
Jul 26, 2010 11:01 AM

Nov 2009
So much random high-brow crap. I don't see the Roswell story having any connection with what's going on. They're only trying to make it look deep and interesting.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 28, 2010 2:44 AM

Feb 2009
Lol at the comments.

We were just given some insight of how the wired works and how it will be able to take over reality.

Starcorea's great comment pretty much nailed it, and it managed to somehow explain the alien part that I wasn't getting at first.
Sep 7, 2010 10:32 PM
Sep 2010
teanut said:
So much random high-brow crap. I don't see the Roswell story having any connection with what's going on. They're only trying to make it look deep and interesting.

You should try reading what Starcorea posted it, just because you don't get it doesn't mean it has no connection.
Oct 16, 2010 10:51 PM

Oct 2008
Nayah said:
My brain hurts right now.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 10, 2010 3:26 AM

Mar 2009
The whole narrator thing was just weird.
Nov 15, 2010 2:11 PM
Nov 2008
After finishing Umineko no Naku Koro ni...I think it's easier to understand SOME parts of this ep.

The Alien portray the case of ""Your/Her mind make it real" which might be explained later why Her mind make it real ...and what's real in her sense...there is one hint

"...and rumor become history"

What if that's unidentified object is just some embellished story of a fragment of aircraft and make it's distorted information across the world. Some readers might feel like there is an evidence of Alien and image alien living not far from their door (with very hollywood look LOL because alien from hollywood movie imprint us with sterotype image/concept of alien)
Apr 14, 2011 7:09 PM

Jul 2009
Starcorea pretty much nailed it. Another addition to that is that the alien can also be considered part of the 'rewritten' history, they start to exist because they have been rewritten to exist.
Apr 28, 2011 11:47 AM
Jan 2010
oh wow you guys, might I suggest you people go back to your naruto and bleach, because it's quite clear that using your brain isn't one of your strong points.
Jul 21, 2011 9:58 AM

Jul 2009
My head hurts. I like it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2011 2:04 PM

Sep 2008
The majestic 12 is as we know conspiracy theory, and probably something that could be discussed a lot on the wired and get a lot of attention there, probably there's a lot of believers as well. Couldn't that explain why Lain (and some other people also mentioning the kid with the sweater standing by their bedroom staring at them in earlier episodes) "saw" these aliens? That the border between the real and the wired is getting blurred, thus connecting people's consciousness more and more, which makes ideas and beliefs from different people manifest in other people's consciousness and so on?

Maybe a longshot I dunno, just trying to make sense out of all this.
Oct 14, 2011 8:37 AM

Dec 2010
I was feeling like this anime is somewhat alike NGE, but now all that connect-humanity-into-one-being ideas made the border between these two animes even thinner =\
Jan 21, 2012 1:15 AM

Sep 2008
Brain Implosion!
entauri.deviantart.com

Jan 22, 2012 11:16 AM

Mar 2011
It's all a conspiracy!
Feb 11, 2012 2:38 PM

Apr 2011
Man, I really liked those mini 'history' parts. The music on those was really cool.
Things are getting hard to follow, though.
Apr 28, 2012 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
That's something though, the internet/wired could actually be used to change history.
Hah, with aliens seemingly metaphorically put into this now, I'm going to go back to my previous idea that they're just tossing every possible sci-fi thing in here just 'cause they can.
May 23, 2012 6:42 AM

Jan 2012
A decent episode, a lot of information. Looking forward to next episode.

Oct 16, 2012 5:09 PM

May 2012
Documentary was interesting, I'll have to read something about these fact elswhere. Random alien on the other hand, for me was just pointless.
Oct 21, 2012 12:11 PM

Aug 2012
That Alien gave me a heart attack and she just shrugs it off...
Nov 17, 2012 12:22 PM

Jan 2012
Interesting insight starcorea. Wish you would take more part in the forums.

Now we know where the world is finally heading in that it will eventually become a whole connected network thanks to the guy who implemented the Shuman Resonance into protocol 7. I believe his name is Eiri Masami and that is him who appears before Lain in the very end. Not really sure what the tape and the face paint mean. Guess we'll find out next episode.

I about crapped my pants when I saw that alien since I have a fear of those things. As with its appearance, I believe that the alien wasn't as symbolic as starcorea says it is even though I like that thought.

I am thinking the alien came by to see Lain off to what probably is the connecting of the world. I mean, he appears to have been living on the earth due to his human clothes. He probably knew this was going to happen one day and has been waiting for it. Guess we'll find out in the future episodes.

The part with the crash probably has to do with the discovery of new technology that led to the creation of the wired and the discovery of the neural network. Of course, this is all just what I got out of what I saw.

Lain is having identity issues from both sides now. The wild Lain doesn't understand that there are two of her either. At least, I am assuming that was the wild lain talking to random people on the wired. I feel real bad for both Lain's now even though the wild one was a real douche last episode.

Again, the more we learn the more we don't know.
Dec 8, 2012 2:12 PM

May 2012
So much information and so much happened, and lol that kiss sure was sudden... Really weird all this O_O
Jan 6, 2013 11:22 PM
Aug 2011
VeedonFleece said:
teanut said:

You should try reading what Starcorea posted it, just because you don't get it doesn't mean it has no connection.

I agree.

In addition to what Starcorea said, I thought they implied these inventions made by the 12 were extracted from the alien technology, they didn't give us any hint, though.

Also, i didn't like how they didn't care and just passed over the dead girl at the beginning.
Feb 12, 2013 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
Yay an unexpected kiss scene.
May 9, 2013 11:26 PM

Aug 2007
That chip she got from the DJ was a code for erasing human memory made by the Knights, huh?
I'm guessing that going to be really important for when we meet them (which was maybe the guy at the end of the episode?)

I thought the history bits were really cool, actually. I love shows that jump off of actual events.

May 27, 2013 3:18 PM

Oct 2010
I lol'd hard when Taro's gum ended up in Lain's mouth. Otherwise, pretty much what starcorea said.
Jun 7, 2013 11:12 AM

Apr 2013
Thing are becoming much more clearer than before. And that kid was funny.
Jun 20, 2013 11:46 AM

Jan 2011
i loled at the alien scene
Jun 27, 2013 1:51 AM

Feb 2013
That alien scared the shit out of me. XD
At first, I thought it was the chibi version of Freddy Krueger.

Poignant commentary about losing one's sense of reality. I can't stop watching this shit. >_<

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 28, 2013 1:12 AM
May 2013
I didn't really understand if the alien was supposed to be real or in her imagination. This show is awesome but very confusing for me. Also, the chip was some kind of memory eraser. Did they use that on her when she was younger to make her think this was her real family? Are they her real family?!
Jun 28, 2013 1:15 AM
May 2013
Also, is it possible that this "God" character that keeps talking to her is somehow pretending to be her on the wired? Or is it really evil Lain on the wired?
Jun 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Dec 2012
After reading Starcorea's post, all of my jumbled thoughts on this episode are finally making sense :p thank you so much for that!

The documentary bits were very interesting, showing how the wired began to take form and for what purpose. In a way, it reminds me of the "truth" documentary pieces from the Assassin's Creed games.
Jun 28, 2013 11:01 PM

Mar 2013
The kiss was cute ^^
Jul 3, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2011
A wonderful episode. We’ve got a lot of explanations this time around. I think that a lot of the documentaries, at least the early ones, are there just as analogies/symbolisms. They talk about altering history, by which pretty much controlling the world -which is what the Knights are trying to do, if I understand it correctly. Of course, it is also an analogy of what is going on now at the same time--you can just as easily find false "facts" on the internet as the true ones. As Wired = Internet (more or less), it shows how the world, or humanity, can be controlled with information alone.

The alien ’visiting’ Lain shows that she loses a grip on reality, that the real world and the Wired are getting mixed up for her - we’ve been getting a lot of that recently. Well, that’s how I understand it, anyway.

The documents in the later part of the episode become completely relevant to the story, talking about what the protocol 7 will try to accomplish. Connecting everyone’s consciousness... am I the only one getting reminded of Evangelion here? c: In any case, this (I think?) didn’t happen yet, but it might be underway. Could explain a lo of the weirdness in the past eps.

And the way Lain’s "parents" were acting led me to believe that the part at the end was true. Just what in the world is Lain, then? Does she really exist primarily in the Wired?

Uooh, even though I probably misunderstand most of this with my horrible logic, I still can’t help it but love this anime.
Aug 2, 2013 2:55 PM

Apr 2013
That bastard stealing a kiss from my future wife, I ought to...
Aug 12, 2013 5:02 PM

Jan 2012
This episode. I just... First off, i've just got to say that that alien SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. FUCK.
And what starcorea said really did help, I mean, when the whole Shuman resonance thing came up, i was like "HOLY SH*T, IT MAKES SENSE, FLIPPING MAKES SENSE!!!" But then I realised, that wasnt' karl and co wroking at the tachibana general place? Does that mean, they are the 'evil' guys? What about knights then??
About the family... The mother and father seemed to have known all along what was happening. It seems as though they all 'restart'. Everything restarts, and that they wanted to savour the time they had left!?
Baldark said:
I am thinking the alien came by to see Lain off to what probably is the connecting of the world. I mean, he appears to have been living on the earth due to his human clothes. He probably knew this was going to happen one day and has been waiting for it. Guess we'll find out in the future episodes.

for some reason, thought the alien was Lain's 'father' waving goodbye before he goes back to alien-land.
Really enjoyed the documentary in this episode, the whole thing about humanity becoming connected, and eventually becoming one really did have me surprised. LOVING THIS SO FAR.
Oct 30, 2013 10:14 PM

Mar 2012
And I thought this anime couldn't get any weirder xD
Nov 2, 2013 4:30 PM

Feb 2011
nothing to say aside from: Weird :| (why can't i remember more aside from the last minute..?)

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 7, 2013 6:58 PM
Nov 2013
Definitely seeing some parallels between this and Eva arising.

starcorea said:
I think that the documentary was very relevant. The documentary was interesting in that it implied that by creating the internet, we are becoming like one huge network; and by comparing this network to the neurons in our brains, it seems that this network (or the 'Wired') would allow us to become like one entity, creating neuron pathways through information and communication.

This. I believe that this, and by extension, the concepts of individuality and privacy, are likely to be very central to the show. "God's" comment from the last episode springs to mind: "Information in the wired should be shared, shouldn't it?" I believe that Lain will reject this, (Evangelion spoilers)
when that information happens to be every little bit of information about everybody's private lives. She saw the consequences of this last episode, when WL told everyone about Arisu's fantasies. Perhaps she will think differently when it does not directly affect her own friendships, but already, Lain rejects that there is any other her but her, and i don't think that everyone essentially becoming one big consciousness really fits with that idea.
Dec 7, 2013 9:21 PM

May 2011
This is probably the most confusing episode, BUT if you understand it, this is the best explanation to be placed in JUST an episode.
SatanicBeaver said:

This. I believe that this, and by extension, the concepts of individuality and privacy, are likely to be very central to the show.

The Knights are trying to achieve this, basically, to combine both worlds together to achieve omnipotence. By referencing to how Schumann's Response can greatly affect the human's mind when a certain population is reached, each and every human can be linked together in a similar fashion to the wired world, and that's is what the Knights are trying to achieve.
Bush's MEMEX and Project Xanadu basically links up with the creation of the "wired" world, similar to how they tried to create and omnipotent world where each and every human could link together with references to the Schumann's Response.
Remember Accela, the drug which so called "links" an individual's consciousness with the wired world? Basically, Lilly's psychedelic drugs and isolation tanks are in a similar fashion to this, bringing the human consciousness to a higher level which reminds me of another topic: the 8 circuit model of human consciousness.
Correct me if you think that this explanation is incorrect, as I've seen to only this episode.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 14, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
We start the episode and we are already high in the creepy bar. We take a look to the little guy with the red/green stripped shirt that was mentioned before and while we see how lain goes to Cyberia to retrieve a chip from the knights and go on a date with taro, we heard about random fact trough the human history

July 4, 1947: Crashed unknown craft in new Mexico.

1984: Release of a video about the MJ-12 Document, with information about Vannevar Bush and how these people concluded a secret treaty with extraterrestrials.

1945: The MEMEX memory expansion concept unveiled by Vannevar Bush

1954: John C. Lilly experiments with the isolation tank to prove human unconscious.

1960: Project Xanadu created by Ted nelson, basically a giant HDD in the space witch access from earth. Also the concept of hypertext .

???: Douglas Rushkoff propose that the Earth itself could become a neural network explaining it trough the Schumann resonances.

Finally the conclusion of this whole history, we learn about how Eiri Masami (Chief Researcher at Tachibana General Labs) developed the hypothesis of a worldwide neural network, he embedded his own consciousness in the project and was fired when Tashibana Labs heard about this, he was also found dead after that, and yeah that was probably the scene we see in the first episode when lain is in the train and she sees blood in the wires outside, later on she sees how a girl?! with long hair is killed by the train... well is probably related with this story.

So Masami is probably the kamisama (god) of the wired who is trying to control lain, we don't know who is lain yet though, but if you pay attention you can see lain's father in this pic, what makes you think that lain is some kind of experiment and her father is the one responsible of her physical body, that also would explain the scene where she's received at home by her family and the name of the fucking show.

We also learn about taro, he's kinda of a pawn from the knights, he doesn't know much about it, he talks about how the knights want to make the real true the only true?.
TyrantRCDec 14, 2013 4:34 PM
なんとかなる
Jan 8, 2014 2:22 PM
May 2013
sigh ... but the historical and science parts were interesting, it was a clever thing to focus on that in this episode.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.