Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 16, 2009 2:44 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So those guys aren't apart of Knights...
Mar 31, 2009 5:28 PM
Mar 2009
yup.r they protecting lain from the knights?
and lain?is she kninght?is she the leader?
Nov 21, 2009 12:13 AM

Aug 2009
Maybe webLain (I don't know how to call her different) is knight. Then we have a battle with real Lain and her web twin. And man in black is the secind group that has its own interest.
Dec 2, 2009 8:03 PM

Apr 2009
I'm confused..!! what is Knights?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2009 1:59 AM
Sep 2009
ezaya said:
I'm confused..!! what is Knights?

To my understanding, Knights is some group of hackers with intents to do something "interesting" taking advantage of the crumbling wall between the real world and the Wired it seems. The symbol that was on that chip the woman got and on the screen of that one guy when he was laying in the ditch (dead? unconscious?) right now I'll go out on a limb and assume is the symbol of the Knights.

Someone on the last ep or so was commenting on how all of hardware seems to be expanding in Lain's room. I think what they said about the barrier crumbling is probably the cause of that; it really kinda tied together of bunch of things for me, and of course there's now the question of what will become of all of it.
Jul 27, 2010 12:53 AM

Feb 2009
So, we finally are thrown at our faces that there are 2 Lains, the real world one and the web Lain (that is directely related to Knights). Those guys in black are some organization that is trying to stop Knights' plans and the real world Lain is somehow involved in all of this.

This anime is a complete illogical, imaginative and daring masterpiece.
VeethornJul 27, 2010 3:03 AM
Oct 16, 2010 9:45 PM

Oct 2008
So I wonder if Lain is really real.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 3, 2010 4:03 PM

Aug 2009
I want a wife like that! :-D

And when jumpers are that important?

So Lain is finally discovering the differences between real life and virtual reality...
Nov 7, 2010 2:15 AM

Mar 2009
The whole Lain and the wired Lain issue is just kinda confusing.
Nov 11, 2010 2:16 PM

Aug 2009
LOLOLOL! Kaaaarrrl!
Nov 26, 2010 8:35 AM

Apr 2010
So confusing... I didn't understand a thing.. Still this mystery is kinda cool XD

Mar 26, 2011 12:57 PM

Apr 2010
It's starting to make a little more sense... just a little.

If you don't remember something, it never happened. If you aren't remembered, you never existed. <3
Apr 27, 2011 3:43 AM
Jan 2010
Wow, an episode of lain that actually made some sense.
May 30, 2011 9:59 AM

May 2010
The scene wherein Lain is questioned is pretty intense
Sep 17, 2011 11:02 AM

Apr 2010
things are getting clearer now..like lain has really a split personality..
Oct 14, 2011 5:23 AM

Dec 2010
Sense? Nothing in this episode made any sense neither - explained any of the things that are happening. But still, we're getting a bit deeper into this world... Something is coming to my mind - the idea if Lain's reality is actually real or the Wired is the real world...
MeritasOct 14, 2011 5:28 AM
Mar 8, 2012 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
"Have you ever seen the lain?" Was my favourite part of this episode.
It looks like the core pieces are getting just placed out there now. Maybe lain WAS adopted. Or created. It'd explain her parent's aloof behaviour. I'd like to know more about how lain is able to converse with the knights without even knowing it. Why does she even need all these personalities?
With half the series left, I'm expecting things to get even more weird now. Haha, I'm enjoying this anime too much.
May 23, 2012 5:43 AM

Jan 2012
So the agent guys aren't Knights. Lain seems to not know anything about her parents and her own past. Also that personality change on the spot. Nice episode.

Jul 27, 2012 1:25 PM

Apr 2008
Is there really supposed to be a guy at the start of every ep that says "Present day. Present Time, hahaha"? :P

Aug 11, 2012 11:17 AM

Nov 2010
Des said:
Is there really supposed to be a guy at the start of every ep that says "Present day. Present Time, hahaha"? :P

Haha seems a bit awkward for me too. May be a touch of mockery, but at EVERY start? Pff.
Oct 15, 2012 1:44 PM

May 2012
Another great episode. The weird guy who wanted to become knight reminds me of "gargoyles" from Snow Crash novel.
Nov 16, 2012 12:42 PM

Jan 2012
Zepwich said:
LOLOLOL! Kaaaarrrl!

I couldn't help but laugh at that part too. It reminded me of Carl from An Idiot Abroad when he's trying to get some chinese people to pronounce his name.

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/an-idiot-abroad/videos/china.htm
Click on Karl Loves Calligraphy if you are interested.

Anyway, we finally find out that Lain does indeed have two personalities. For the longest time, I was thinking someone was impersonating her on the wired. We also learn that they guys in black aren't the Knights and that some random 3 people are part of the knights. One of them being a house mom.

No idea what that little board with some strange symbol did, but apparently it killed that crazy guy who was searching for the Knights. Why was it in the sink and not in the trash is beyond me.

Hope the next episode talks a bit more about who the knights are.
Dec 8, 2012 1:42 PM

May 2012
Finally we've been answered some questions, so Lain has a personality disorder or something like that at least, still quite fishy with her family "are they her real family or not?" those man in black sure aren't from the knight group that's for sure, but yea good that we got some questions answered, lets see what's next!
Dec 24, 2012 10:44 AM

Nov 2012
TowardsTheStars said:
So...is Lain adopted?
*face palm*
Jan 6, 2013 6:49 AM
Aug 2011
TowardsTheStars said:
So...is Lain adopted?

Is this what you get? Seriously?
Jan 20, 2013 5:06 AM

Jul 2012
Hahaha
Feb 4, 2013 10:24 PM

Sep 2011
I think I get it, but at the same time I don't think I get it.
Feb 12, 2013 2:02 PM

Jan 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
May 9, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2007
Baldark said:
Zepwich said:
LOLOLOL! Kaaaarrrl!

I couldn't help but laugh at that part too. It reminded me of Carl from An Idiot Abroad when he's trying to get some chinese people to pronounce his name.

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/an-idiot-abroad/videos/china.htm
Click on Karl Loves Calligraphy if you are interested.

Oh god, I love this show
/sidetracked

Jun 7, 2013 8:46 AM

Apr 2013
Pfff. Finally some important questions where answered in this episode. Now we've seen Lain's personality switch and the man in black aren't Knights. And that Lain which the crazy dude saw before he was killed looks different.
Jun 26, 2013 3:34 PM

Feb 2013
Finally, some questions were answered...

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 27, 2013 1:57 AM
May 2013
I still want to know what this game is and how in the world it's killing people! This show has really sucked me in.
Jun 28, 2013 10:53 PM

Mar 2013
OriginANIME said:
I think I get it, but at the same time I don't think I get it.
This.
Aug 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 2012
MIIINDDFUUUUUUUUCK.
Okay. THAT SYMBOL. I forgot to mention it, but before everything happened to 'sister', she saw this:

BEFORE SHE STARTED SHAKING, AND EVENTUALLY 'DIED'.From the whole housewife thing, it showed that different people are part of knights, and maybe like Lain, their personalities may swap. Since all three of them that were infront of Mr.Cameraglasses all were from different classes (an Otaku, Housewife and businessman). And they all seemed to be getting the same Navi motherboard, thinking its a game??
And about the actual knights; I don't know who the hell they could be, but the symbol they have is really O_O
THE MINDFUCK SCENE WHERE THAT ONE DUDE STARTED QUESTIONING ABOUT LAIN'S EXISTENCE WAS >_____<
Makes sense about how the father, mother and now the sister don't give a f**k about Lain at all. All they want is to 'manifest' her in some way (well, the father that is, the other two just seem high 24/7). Guessing the knights mindfucked the parent too, like they did to the sister (she can't even speak anymore).
And about Karl and co; don't think there trying to protect Lain, but the world and what that dude said about how the line between reality and the wired crumbling was very interesting.
That dude that died at the end was Mr.mouth from the last episode :(
AND SEEING MR.POSTMAN WAS AWESOME!!! XD
Aug 27, 2013 11:12 AM
Mar 2013
kaaaaaarl
Oct 29, 2013 9:38 AM

Mar 2012
The pieces are slowly starting to come together.
Oct 30, 2013 9:39 PM

Nov 2010
I paused at this scene to confirm something
Nov 2, 2013 9:09 AM

Feb 2011
the lack of sun is making lain a bit gray

oh, so she really had a split personality

it's still unclear who those not-knight guys are, but they seems to be moving on their own, it doesn't seems they're from the information bureau

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 5, 2013 4:07 PM
Nov 2013
Another good episode, this show keeps you guessing.

So it looks like i was right about people (or at least lain) having another self in the wired. Since the barrier between the real world and the wired is crumbling, Lain of the wired is able to use her power to manifest in Lain of the real world's body. Bringing people of the wired into their real world bodies could be the goal of the knights, as it seemed that the housewife, after receiving the navi part with the Knight's symbol on it, had a rather abrupt shift in personality, and housewife of the wired seems to be part of the knights herself.

Lain's remarks near the beginning of the episode shows that she is aware of her wired self, and apparently has some knowledge of her doings, judging by what Lain of the real world said about her becoming more different.
Dec 7, 2013 7:41 AM

May 2011
i find it kind of weird when so many members do not understand the show clearly yet. In fact, many of my questions so far have been explained. Just think of it this way: the real world is not that real, and both worlds are not different after all. the only difference between these worlds is that there is no rules or regulations in the wired world, and it is necessary for a being or an entity to ensure a balance, and possibly assimilation between the worlds. Who's the being then? Lain herself. As for the "knights", i have a feeling that they are the true antagonists in this series. Their actions are similar to "Dollars" from Durarara but works similarly like a terrorist faction, sourcing out and eliminating opponents which threaten the distinction between both worlds. Sad cheshire cat guy.
grayrebornnhyDec 7, 2013 7:44 AM
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 10, 2013 1:15 AM

Apr 2012
So this episode we see a little more about the knights.

There was a leaking of information from a control center, the knights are the responsible ones, we also learn how they usually operate, they are normal people from different locations in the real world.

Karl and Lin finally speaks to lain, they bring her to this guy who tries to explain her what's happening in the wired with the knights. At this point the real world lain get into panic because she doesn't know if she's real and suddenly the wired lain takes control, she already knows what's happening but I'm not sure if she is with the knights or against them. At the end of the episode we see how some people who were involve with the knights lose the communication with them, probably because of lain.

At this point of the show, we don't know anything about Chisa (the girl who committed suicide in the first episode), about the drug accela, about the game phamtoma, about the profecy, or about the project KIDS; But is kinda of implied that everything is involve with the knights in some way. Maybe we'll see an explanation later on.
なんとかなる
Dec 12, 2013 5:42 PM

Dec 2009
I feel like I'm starting to understand. But at the same time I don't get anything, lol.
Such junk...
Dec 26, 2013 10:48 PM

Dec 2012
Finally an episode that made some sense.
Jan 6, 2014 12:31 AM
May 2013
I wonder if this anime worth my time.
Feb 3, 2014 5:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
RyanMortos said:
I feel like I'm starting to understand. But at the same time I don't get anything, lol.

That's exactly how I feel. This anime is really making me think about stuff. The smallest detail can be of consequence.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 18, 2014 12:51 PM

Jun 2014
About 75% sure Lain's dad has a hand in all this... If Lain doesnt know where she came from, he definitely does.
Jun 19, 2014 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
Very good, Lain! Just get in a car with a bunch of strangers who have been following and stalking you for a while now! What could possibly happen?

Also, slightly random question, but is Arisu's name really Arisu or "Alice"?
Sep 8, 2014 7:23 AM
Aug 2014
jugann said:
MIIINDDFUUUUUUUUCK.
Okay. THAT SYMBOL. I forgot to mention it, but before everything happened to 'sister', she saw this:

BEFORE SHE STARTED SHAKING, AND EVENTUALLY 'DIED'.From the whole housewife thing, it showed that different people are part of knights, and maybe like Lain, their personalities may swap. Since all three of them that were infront of Mr.Cameraglasses all were from different classes (an Otaku, Housewife and businessman). And they all seemed to be getting the same Navi motherboard, thinking its a game??
And about the actual knights; I don't know who the hell they could be, but the symbol they have is really O_O
THE MINDFUCK SCENE WHERE THAT ONE DUDE STARTED QUESTIONING ABOUT LAIN'S EXISTENCE WAS >_____<
Makes sense about how the father, mother and now the sister don't give a f**k about Lain at all. All they want is to 'manifest' her in some way (well, the father that is, the other two just seem high 24/7). Guessing the knights mindfucked the parent too, like they did to the sister (she can't even speak anymore).
And about Karl and co; don't think there trying to protect Lain, but the world and what that dude said about how the line between reality and the wired crumbling was very interesting.
That dude that died at the end was Mr.mouth from the last episode :(
AND SEEING MR.POSTMAN WAS AWESOME!!! XD

I caught that symbol right away when the 'sister' was freaking out in the middle of the street. I remember telling myself, hmm that's an odd symbol...And now, we see this is the symbol of the Knights? I was also wondering if this symbol has some sort of religious connotation? It kinda reminds me of the Mason Pyramid? ...http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/chapter4/asmonrlato.jpg

I don't know if Lain is even 'real', or is she something created to destroy the world? So confused...
Sep 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2012
HikariJake said:
Very good, Lain! Just get in a car with a bunch of strangers who have been following and stalking you for a while now! What could possibly happen?

Also, slightly random question, but is Arisu's name really Arisu or "Alice"?

It's both actually. http://myanimelist.net/character/7610/Mizuki_Arisu
Sep 20, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2014
Man, Karl is tall af, that or everyone else is tiny.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.