Forum Settings
Forums

MAL's top manga list infested with Yaoi/Shounen-ai.

New
How many yaoi/shounen-ai do you think there are in top 1000?
less than 25
13.2%
between 26 - 50
18.4%
between 51 - 100
15.8%
between 101 - 150
7.9%
between 151 - 200
15.8%
200+
28.9%
38 votes
Jan 15, 2014 2:27 AM

Apr 2012
Yes, so I did a casual browse through the manga top list in trying to find some good manga. I saw a lot of manga that have two man hugging in the cover. As I surmised, when I click the manga, it is either a yaoi/shounen-ai.

Being a STAT minor, I found how many Yaoi-shounen-ai are in MAL's top 1000 manga.

The answer might surprise you, in a bad way.

I care because these titles hurt my eyes... I suggest non-yaoi/non-shounen-ai(also non-yuri) top list in MAL manga top list option.

if you don't want to find out how many are there, don't click

What do you think about this phenomenon?

Are you
outraged?
excited?
disgusted?
contended?
disapproving?
nodding your head?
apathetic?

or ...
just realized that the world has ended?
just realized that the world has hope after all?

bunny1ov3rJan 16, 2014 7:03 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2014 3:25 AM

Dec 2010
Where's the "all of them" option?

Seriously, who cares? Seems logic to me that yaoi are only read by people who like it, so there's a high chance the score will turn out pretty high (unless the story itself is stupid, regardless of boys making out with each other).
Personally, I'm indifferent about yaoi. I read maybe 4 or 5 of them just "because", to me it's like any other genre. If they bug you that much, than just... ignore them? And come on, one of the first things I learned when I started reading manga was to never trust reviews and ranks, just a huge pile of bullshits. I read whatever I like, you read whatever you like, people who like yaoi read yaoi and we're all happy.

All this fuss about yaoi and yuri is starting to get boring.
Jan 15, 2014 5:03 AM

Mar 2009
deal with it dude.

Kella said:
Where's the "all of them" option?

Seriously, who cares? Seems logic to me that yaoi are only read by people who like it, so there's a high chance the score will turn out pretty high (unless the story itself is stupid, regardless of boys making out with each other).
Personally, I'm indifferent about yaoi. I read maybe 4 or 5 of them just "because", to me it's like any other genre. If they bug you that much, than just... ignore them? And come on, one of the first things I learned when I started reading manga was to never trust reviews and ranks, just a huge pile of bullshits. I read whatever I like, you read whatever you like, people who like yaoi read yaoi and we're all happy.

All this fuss about yaoi and yuri is starting to get boring.

+1
Jan 15, 2014 11:35 AM

Apr 2010
I suggest getting over your homophobia.
Jan 15, 2014 11:43 AM

Oct 2007
I am homophobic too. At least to a certain degree.
But I have read quite a bit of Yaoi in my time. A book is a book. If it's good, it's good.
I don't see the problem with these being in the top 1,000. It's only like 10%.
Hireshi.com - Join today! Working on streaming Japan/Korean drama & movies, as well as anime.
(this will come when the main site is up)
I take avatar/ signature & profile/intro picture requests. Message me with reference.
Tutorial on how to resize GIF images in Photoshop CS3(avatars,signatures)
Jan 15, 2014 12:22 PM

Oct 2008
Why does it really matter, nobody's forcing you to read it so just pick something else. Just try some of the 837 manga sill left after you take out the ones you don't approve of.
Jan 15, 2014 1:12 PM

Dec 2012
Instead of browsing, why don't you use the Advance Search and exclude "genres" and mark "score" only before hitting the Search button. You can arrange the results in descending order by clicking "score" on the upper right.

On OT: Assuming that you have read all the 45 manga series before Sekai Ichi... when searching great manga series to read. Yeah, you haven't, because "grossing out" is so cool in public.
Jan 15, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2012
zellami said:
Instead of browsing, why don't you use the Advance Search and exclude "genres" and mark "score" only before hitting the Search button. You can arrange the results in descending order by clicking "score" on the upper right.

On OT: Assuming that you have read all the 45 manga series before Sekai Ichi... when searching great manga series to read. Yeah, you haven't, because "grossing out" is so cool in public.
I did use advanced search and mark "score" in descending order.

Excluding wouldn't work in this case actually.

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 1:42 PM

Apr 2007
bunny_lover said:
zellami said:

Doesn't this work?
long url
Jan 15, 2014 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4HbzuxCIE

How about you grow the fuck up? Go jerk off to your hottest anime girl thread.

Good lord, why must MAL perpetually have the collective maturity of a middle school? And you're a stat minor? Minor as in, college? Jesus Christ.
Jan 15, 2014 1:49 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
I like shoujo ai manga ._. (EDIT: Read the topic as yaoi/shoujo ai... whoops)
I don't see a problem.. I feel if there were as many shoujo ai and shounen ai that were as good as their manga counterpart, they top 1000 for anime would have a lot too. I want a Girlfriends adaption please.
ZelotJan 15, 2014 2:01 PM
Jan 15, 2014 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
ona said:
bunny_lover said:
zellami said:

Doesn't this work?
long url
Thanks this works!

antonn said:
I suggest getting over your homophobia.
On the contrary, one of my best friend is a male homosexual, and although I would always maintain my straightness I don't disapprove of other people being bended. Indeed, the way I like to think of it is that it actually solves the worldwide problem (in developing countries) that there are more males than females.

If most of yaoi/shounen-ai fan-base is male homosexual, I would not have a problem with it. As you all know, 99% of fanbase is the kind of girls like my current girlfriend slash-fiction girls who just read it for no other reasons than ... there are hot guys? What the fuck.

It annoys the hell out of me

Red_Keys said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4HbzuxCIE

How about you grow the fuck up?

Good lord, why must MAL perpetually have the collective maturity of a middle school?
Just Red_Keys being Red_Keys. no one takes you seriously anymore. I am just surprised that you even posted on manga forum.

Red_Keys said:
Go jerk off to your hottest anime girl thread.

Yes I am doing that right now.

And you're a stat minor? Minor as in, college? Jesus Christ.

Yes I am in college, Haverford college to be specific.

You also live in Phildelphia which college/university are you in?
bunny1ov3rJan 15, 2014 1:56 PM

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2007
Are you seriously trotting out the "I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are gay!!" argument? And what do you have against girls who read BL?
Jan 15, 2014 2:05 PM

Apr 2012
ona said:
Are you seriously trotting out the "I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are gay!!" argument? And what do you have against girls who read BL?
I just did. I only have one gay friend though.

My being against girls who read BL is mainly influenced by the said gay friend.

He thinks that those girls are very retarded for loving BL while not "understanding " homosexuality at all (don't ask me I don't understand either), after some times I agreed with him, though granted probably for different reasons.

My main reason is how they show their fan-girlism (at least when I was in high school). They talk about those all the time in public, when I can hear them, and match up guys in our class in their fantasies. I don't need to fucking hear myself being fantasized in some yaoi stories.

Speaking of homophobia I just finished reading Orange Marmalade. I thought how the artist portrayed exclusion of Vampire from human society is basically portraying closeted homosexuals, or exchange it for any of the groups that are being discriminated against and have a hard time speaking out to the public. Highly recommend it.

Edit: I just realized how annoying my avatar is. Gonna change it now.
bunny1ov3rJan 15, 2014 2:18 PM

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2012
hireshi said:
But I have read quite a bit of Yaoi in my time. A book is a book. If it's good, it's good.
most people are homophobic to a certain degree.

I don't see the problem with these being in the top 1,000. It's only like 10%
16%.

Every one title you click into in top 1000 manga countdown has 1/6 chance of being a yaoi.

I suppose i am just obsessed with MAL's top list.

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 2:15 PM

Mar 2009
bunny_lover said:

not "understanding " homosexuality at all

deep shit indeed.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/model.gif
Jan 15, 2014 2:39 PM

Sep 2013
bunny_lover said:
Yes, so I did a casual browse through the manga top list in trying to find some good manga. I saw a lot of manga that have two man hugging in the cover. As I surmised, when I click the manga, it is either a yaoi/shounen-ai.

Being a STAT minor, I found how many Yaoi-shounen-ai are in MAL's top 1000 manga.

I care because these titles hurt my eyes... I suggest non-yaoi/non-shounen-ai(also non-yuri) top list in MAL manga top list option.

what the hell.....
Jan 15, 2014 3:26 PM

Sep 2013
Most online readers already filter out yaoi on their front page. Now they need to do this for yuri too, then I'm happy.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jan 15, 2014 8:13 PM

May 2011
fangirls fangirls everywhere !! :P

I too don't like yaoi /shounen-ai and stuff but that's just my opinion. I don't care if any of those titles are in the top spots. There ARE tags and genres for helping you filter all those shows out.

Also in today's times with more and more people aggressively rooting for/practicing freedom of doing/saying anything (not that I'm saying this in a particularly bad way), I guess asking for such opinions is useless.

This era is no longer of discussing what's moral or immoral. Its an era of respecting and accepting everyone's thoughts/actions largely
Jan 15, 2014 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
I don't think it's being "infested" at all , it's only 16%.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2014 2:16 AM

Jun 2011
bunny_lover said:

Are you
1. outraged?
2. disgusted?
3. disapproving?
4. apathetic?
or ...
5. just realized that the world has ended?

I am offended by these, and I am not even a fujoshi or fudanshi. You're talking as if shounen ai series or yaoi series should not be in the top 1000. It's like some people like BDSM but you don't like it, cannot understand it, and felt disgusted by it, like.. what? Open up your mind, don't be such a homophobic.

P.S. the poll does not server a purpose. -.-!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 16, 2014 9:59 AM

May 2013
I really couldn't care less, that just means that there are people who enjoy the shows. See nothing wrong with it.

***Note: My vote was spot on, im awesome
Jan 16, 2014 10:42 AM

Jan 2013
LOL fujoshi.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 16, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
bunny_lover said:

Are you
1. outraged?
2. disgusted?
3. disapproving?
4. apathetic?
or ...

I am offended by these, and I am not even a fujoshi or fudanshi. You're talking as if shounen ai series or yaoi series should not be in the top 1000. It's like some people like BDSM but you don't like it, cannot understand it, and felt disgusted by it, like.. what? Open up your mind, don't be such a homophobic.
As I explained before my case is not really one of homophobic... And if you fucking read some of my posts in the first page, you would have understood more of my stance on this issue. I guess all you guys are just too "offended" by the OP post to care. Labelling a person as "homophobic" just for the sake of identifying discrimination must have felt as satisfying as calling people out for being "racists".

And most of you haters of this thread is missing the point. It is true I expressed some anti-yaoi sentiments (which does not equal to homophobia, if you read any of my posts on who those readers of yaoi actually are), which are exactly my feelings. My real annoyance at this situation is that these yaoi are only read by yaoi-lovers who would probably over-rate them as a whole group. No other group is there to really balance the scores out.

To make an inappropriate comparison, it is like a case where only people who watch SAO are its fanboys, and most of them rating 8/10 and above. That, and the fact that most of yaoi-fans are straight yaoi-loving girls who fantasize about yaoi in real life on real life people. Why does feeling annoyed/disgusted at people being hypocrites something to be offended of?

Now, am I making baseless assumptions based only on my personal observations? Of course I am.

Do I care if people respond to this thread with a short discrimination-identifying phrase like "get over your homophobia!". Yes I would care, and anyone who says otherwise is probably just trying to act tough. On top of feeling a bit hurt, though, I feel more sad in that MAL users are capable of not jokingly accusing of people of some negative associations without comprehending the full situation, a phenomenon that I was not previously aware of but makes much sense now that I think about it.

Baam said:
Everything serves a purpose, and I am not talking in a religious sense. In this case, the poll is something that waste your time in taking a vote, or something that still waste your time in making you decide whether or not you do it, if you indeed decide to not vote in it.

As a wise chinese man once said, one inch of time is worth one inch of gold. In that sense, this poll is quite costly.
bunny1ov3rJan 16, 2014 1:35 PM

痛就是爱
Jan 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2013
A lot of mal users don't really read much manga and if they do it's often yaoi, or Yuri because there aren't very many Yuri or yaoi anime. Yaoi is cool.
Jan 16, 2014 1:49 PM

Apr 2012
Cupquake said:
A lot of mal users don't really read much manga and if they do it's often yaoi, or Yuri because there aren't very many Yuri or yaoi anime. Yaoi is cool.
I realized how many yaoi manga there are by doing a single manga search on MAL. Apparently there are more than 2,500 works of yaoi for manga.

痛就是爱
Jan 16, 2014 4:20 PM

Jun 2011
bunny_lover said:
ToG25thBaam said:
bunny_lover said:

Are you
1. outraged?
2. disgusted?
3. disapproving?
4. apathetic?
or ...

As I explained before my case is not really one of homophobic... And if you fucking read some of my posts in the first page, you would have understood more of my stance on this issue. I guess all you guys are just too "offended" by the OP post to care. Labelling a person as "homophobic" just for the sake of identifying discrimination must have felt as satisfying as calling people out for being "racists".

And most of you haters of this thread is missing the point. It is true I expressed some anti-yaoi sentiments (which does not equal to homophobia, if you read any of my posts on who those readers of yaoi actually are), which are exactly my feelings. My real annoyance at this situation is that these yaoi are only read by yaoi-lovers who would probably over-rate them as a whole group. No other group is there to really balance the scores out.

To make an inappropriate comparison, it is like a case where only people who watch SAO are its fanboys, and most of them rating 8/10 and above. That, and the fact that most of yaoi-fans are straight yaoi-loving girls who fantasize about yaoi in real life on real life people. Why does feeling annoyed/disgusted at people being hypocrites something to be offended of?

Now, am I making baseless assumptions based only on my personal observations? Of course I am.

Do I care if people respond to this thread with a short discrimination-identifying phrase like "get over your homophobia!". Yes I would care, and anyone who says otherwise is probably just trying to act tough. On top of feeling a bit hurt, though, I feel more sad in that MAL users are capable of not jokingly accusing of people of some negative associations without comprehending the full situation, a phenomenon that I was not previously aware of but makes much sense now that I think about it.

Baam said:
Everything serves a purpose, and I am not talking in a religious sense. In this case, the poll is something that waste your time in taking a vote, or something that still waste your time in making you decide whether or not you do it, if you indeed decide to not vote in it.

As a wise chinese man once said, one inch of time is worth one inch of gold. In that sense, this poll is quite costly.

Come on chill, if I am wrong then I apologize, you don't have to be rude about it, and keep calling me "this" and "that".

And what's with yaoi/shounen ai being in the top 1000, people liked them, people enjoyed them, and people rated them highly. So, if you didn't enjoyed Gintama then you're going to make a big fuse over why the fuck it is in the top 10 spot, all 4 of them?

Same goes for every popular manga/anime, there will be somebody else making another account and rate for the series, so how are you doing to deal with it?

Bolded: And so? People who liked yaoi read yaoi, people who liked action, read action, people who liked yuri, read yuri, and so on.. We don't really need people who HATE yaoi to balance out the score, what's the point? If the yaoi series is good, then they will rate it highly, if it's bad, then they will give it a low score, and so on.

And back to your main irritation, the reason why I got offended is your choices, come on, of all think all you can add are the negative ones? What's with "outraged", "disgusted", "disapproving", "apathetic", "just realize that the world has ended", dude, that's really rude, as if treating yaoi as some sort of.. criminals.. that should be disposed off.

And, the poll is pretty much useless. "How many yaoi titles do you think there are in the top 1000", is there still a need for a guess when you have the total counts for it already? ~.~
Jan 16, 2014 7:10 PM

Apr 2012
ToG25thBaam said:

And back to your main irritation, the reason why I got offended is your choices, come on, of all think all you can add are the negative ones? What's with "outraged", "disgusted", "disapproving", "apathetic", "just realize that the world has ended", dude, that's really rude, as if treating yaoi as some sort of.. criminals.. that should be disposed off.

Because those are exactly my emotions toward yaoi and the fan-base behind it (1. yaoi does not represent homosexuality 2. fan-base behind yaoi are usually straight girls who would more likely than not be disgusted with or not caring about real gay people)
But if you are so offended by it, I did add some positive emotions so all yaoi-lovers can rejoice in the overabundance of yaoi in top manga list.

ToG25thBaam said:

And, the poll is pretty much useless. "How many yaoi titles do you think there are in the top 1000", is there still a need for a guess when you have the total counts for it already? ~.~
The poll is for people to take a guess before you look at the number of yaoi in top 1000 in the spoiler. It is made to contrast how many you thought would be there and how are actually there.

ToG25thBaam said:
Bolded: And so? People who liked yaoi read yaoi, people who liked action, read action, people who liked yuri, read yuri, and so on.. We don't really need people who HATE yaoi to balance out the score, what's the point? If the yaoi series is good, then they will rate it highly, if it's bad, then they will give it a low score, and so on.

Indeed in the end there is nothing I can do, except for making a thread to complain about it with high chance of being locked later, which is exactly what i am doing by the way.

痛就是爱
Jan 16, 2014 8:06 PM

Jan 2014
I don't really care about it, because I don't read yaoi/shounen ai manga. So lulz.
Jan 16, 2014 8:28 PM

Jan 2008
I can't really understand why you are so concerned about the top 1000. The more you go down in the rankings the more unreliable it is. I mean after the top 10 or top 30 you may start to see titles that may not deserve to be at their current rankings. And after top 100 the manga can go from utter shit to amazingly good.

My point is that the ranking of an anime/manga on MAL is not the indicator of its quality and it should be browsed with care. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were 50 manga on dog poop in the top 1000.
Jan 16, 2014 9:45 PM

Apr 2012
ntHai said:
I can't really understand why you are so concerned about the top 1000. The more you go down in the rankings the more unreliable it is. I mean after the top 10 or top 30 you may start to see titles that may not deserve to be at their current rankings. And after top 100 the manga can go from utter shit to amazingly good.

My point is that the ranking of an anime/manga on MAL is not the indicator of its quality and it should be browsed with care. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were 50 manga on dog poop in the top 1000.
idk. as a lot of people have pointed out I am more obsessed with top list than most MAL users.

I suppose it's just one of my obsessions. I've always been interested in seeing other people's top list, too.

痛就是爱
Jan 17, 2014 6:24 AM

Jun 2011
@bunny_lover
Oh well if you felt that way for yaoi. I do not like yaoi, I am a man, and it's disgusting to see 2 men banging each other, but, I do read some shounen ai series, some of them are really good, especially those with slice of life ones. Seriously, it's not such a big deal. There are also some smutty series in the top 1000 list, so are you going to say "Why the fuck are those sex focused manga in the top 1000 list?", because you know, a lot of smutty manga, at best, only have a decent to great story, nothing really amazing. It is also the same as slice of life, a lot of people are bored of them, feels like they have no plot and such, are you going to deem them unworthy of being in the top 1000 too?

So my point is, just chill, if you dislike yaoi, just skip them. People love them that's why they're there. Some are actually good and better than most of the shounen stupid harem shit.
Jan 17, 2014 7:44 AM

Nov 2013
bunny_lover said:
ToG25thBaam said:

Because those are exactly my emotions toward yaoi and the fan-base behind it (1. yaoi does not represent homosexuality 2. fan-base behind yaoi are usually straight girls who would more likely than not be disgusted with or not caring about real gay people)
But if you are so offended by it, I did add some positive emotions so all yaoi-lovers can rejoice in the overabundance of yaoi in top manga list

ToG25thBaam said:

The poll is for people to take a guess before you look at the number of yaoi in top 1000 in the spoiler. It is made to contrast how many you thought would be there and how are actually there.

ToG25thBaam said:

Indeed in the end there is nothing I can do, except for making a thread to complain about it with high chance of being locked later, which is exactly what i am doing by the way.

Ignoring your generalisations of a group of people with a certain taste...

YES People like yaoi, OK its "16" percent of the top 1000 manga on MAL. NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
Stop bieng so worked up about what "fangirls" like and get on with your life.
Yaoi isnt realistic, Yuri isnt realistic, HELL shojo romance isnt realistic. Why? BECAUSE ITS MAKE BELIEVE, will that stop people enjoying it? NO.
What are you trying to get across with this thread? Trying to gather a bunch of yaoi haters, or trying to put down/shame people that like yaoi? Really disrespectful, and offensive seriously. If you dont like it, you can simply block it, that is what I would do, not diss "the fangirls". There isnt anything exactly wrong with liking yaoi.. the same with yuri. There is also nothing wrong about disliking yaoi... so if you concerns you so much then just block it.
Jan 17, 2014 7:53 AM

Dec 2010
16% in top 1000 list being yaoi is actually quite substantial. I think it's dumb, because most yaoi/shounen-ai is just shitty fan-service and given 10s by pubescent virgins, but there's nothing MAL can really do about it.
Jan 17, 2014 8:06 AM

Oct 2007
bunny_lover said:
hireshi said:

16%.

Every one title you click into in top 1000 manga countdown has 1/6 chance of being a yaoi.

Captain obvious to the rescue.
I said "only like" 10%, as in, "about and around".
16 is still in the 1x range.
Hireshi.com - Join today! Working on streaming Japan/Korean drama & movies, as well as anime.
(this will come when the main site is up)
I take avatar/ signature & profile/intro picture requests. Message me with reference.
Tutorial on how to resize GIF images in Photoshop CS3(avatars,signatures)
Jan 17, 2014 10:45 AM

Apr 2012
hireshi said:
bunny_lover said:
hireshi said:

16%.

the next time you get 96% (just an assumption, not saying you can't get 100%) on your test, and the teacher round it to 90%, claiming it is perfectly justified to do so because it's in 1x range...

I wonder how you feel about the logic in that one.

痛就是爱
Jan 17, 2014 10:53 AM

Jun 2011
Pknoctis said:
16% in top 1000 list being yaoi is actually quite substantial. I think it's dumb, because most yaoi/shounen-ai is just shitty fan-service and given 10s by pubescent virgins, but there's nothing MAL can really do about it.

Every manga is fanservices depend on how you think. If an action series is drawn, it is a fanservice for action lover. So, an action manga is a shitty fanservices for those who despise actions, right? Because the cool pose, the action scenes, and such are shitty scenes for action lovers.
Jan 17, 2014 10:57 AM

Mar 2009
bunny_lover said:
hireshi said:

the next time you get 96% (just an assumption, not saying you can't get 100%) on your test, and the teacher round it to 90%, claiming it is perfectly justified to do so because it's in 1x range...

I wonder how you feel about the logic in that one.

dude... lmfao.
Jan 17, 2014 11:23 AM

Apr 2012
Jeanrocksmysocks said:

Ignoring your generalisations of a group of people with a certain taste...

YES People like yaoi, OK its "16" percent of the top 1000 manga on MAL. NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
Stop bieng so worked up about what "fangirls" like and get on with your life.
Yaoi isnt realistic, Yuri isnt realistic, HELL shojo romance isnt realistic. Why? BECAUSE ITS MAKE BELIEVE, will that stop people enjoying it? NO.
What are you trying to get across with this thread? Trying to gather a bunch of yaoi haters, or trying to put down/shame people that like yaoi? Really disrespectful, and offensive seriously. If you dont like it, you can simply block it, that is what I would do, not diss "the fangirls". There isnt anything exactly wrong with liking yaoi.. the same with yuri. There is also nothing wrong about disliking yaoi... so if you concerns you so much then just block it.
I agree with most of your points. Indeed, I am just another action/fan-service fanboy (quoting Tog25thBaam), so Yaoi fan could say the same about manga I like. Everything is relative depending on perspectives (hmm. another Casual Discussion thread...)

Except the "get on with your life part ...". I believe that this is discussed in a previous thread in Casual Discussion section before, but maybe you are not present in forum at that time, so let me refresh your memory.

What "life"? Other than study/work and urban survival tasks, at least for me, anime/manga/novles are a big part of my hobby, and probably the biggest part in these days. In that sense, "my life" is exactly stuff involving "otaku stuff", including rants about the community. In the end though, like you said, if you don't like my thread, you are welcome to point out what's wrong/flame me.
bunny1ov3rJan 17, 2014 11:29 AM

痛就是爱
Jan 17, 2014 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
Yaoi is insanely popular. No surprise with these numbers--I expected more, actually.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks appeal."
Jan 17, 2014 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Thread cleaned, I'll leave this open for a while. Please try to stay on topic and don't be lead astray by some of the original poster's characterizations of the genre. Flaming or spam will be removed and the thread may be locked if there is much more of it.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 17, 2014 8:53 PM

Aug 2011
What I don't understand is why the fact that they are yaoi manga means they shouldn't be considered like any other manga. Erotica is an art form like anything else, and many yaoi manga have genuinely well-written romance/fantasy/action stories along with the sex. If it's the sexual content that bothers you, then grow up. If it's homophobia that bothers you, then you don't belong in this century.

Would you be as upset if hentai series took up a large part of the top list? Probably not. But the fact is that the majority of hentai manga are nothing but fap material while many (not ALL) yaoi/shounen-ai manga only use sex as one element in a larger context of their stories.
Jan 17, 2014 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
Adair said:
What I don't understand is why the fact that they are yaoi manga means they shouldn't be considered like any other manga. Erotica is an art form like anything else, and many yaoi manga have genuinely well-written romance/fantasy/action stories along with the sex. If it's the sexual content that bothers you, then grow up. If it's homophobia that bothers you, then you don't belong in this century.

Would you be as upset if hentai series took up a large part of the top list? Probably not. But the fact is that the majority of hentai manga are nothing but fap material while many (not ALL) yaoi/shounen-ai manga only use sex as one element in a larger context of their stories.
I have to point out that please read my prior post before making any assertive statements that classify me as some stereotypes.

And yes, I would be upset (maybe too strong of a word) if hentai materials took up most of the list. FYI, I didn't know that Yaoi is the stronger version of shounen-ai before I posted this thread, I thought it was the other way around.

痛就是爱
Jan 17, 2014 10:41 PM

Sep 2012
rodac said:
Mod Note: Thread cleaned, I'll leave this open for a while. Please try to stay on topic and don't be lead astray by some of the original poster's characterizations of the genre. Flaming or spam will be removed and the thread may be locked if there is much more of it.
Why this is not locked is beyond me. You even said yourself that we shouldn't be "lead astray" by the OP's ridiculous bitching.

This entire thread is nothing but immature homophobic flaming, and I really don't see what kind of discussion you hoped would somehow arise from this cesspool of crybaby nonsense.
Jan 17, 2014 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
rodac said:
Why this is not locked is beyond me. You even said yourself that we shouldn't be "lead astray" by the OP's ridiculous bitching.

This entire thread is nothing but immature homophobic flaming, and I really don't see what kind of discussion you hoped would somehow arise from this cesspool of crybaby nonsense.
due to inactivity of manga forum, precisely because there are many "crybabies" that would participate in this cesspool of nonsense (including you and I).

痛就是爱
Jan 18, 2014 6:51 AM

Jul 2012
It dousn't surprise me, main reason for that is that when I go search new stuff to read i regularly browse top 500, every now and then some "exotic" title sneaks in but later it's score decreases because more people start reading it due to it's high score and then score decreases.
Jan 19, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2009
bunny_lover said:

Phew, had me worried for a second.

I am delighted. This thread is hilarious.

May shounen-ai (and some shoujo ai too) continue to grow and infest the top 1000. Gay takeover.
ClaptrapJan 19, 2014 8:12 PM
Jan 21, 2014 9:45 AM

Dec 2011
Requirement for top 1000: 8.00 score
number of Shounen Ai with 8.00+ score: 48
number of Yaoi with 8.00+ score: 122
number with both of these tags: 5
total = 165

Total number of series with 8.00+ score: 1011

Remember: series with the same score are sorted by newest addition to MAL first, not by the score beyond 2dp.

Incidentally, a top 1000 without yaoi and shounen ai is easy to do. Just use this. Excluding these series the requirement for top 1000 drops from 8.00 to 7.93, with 1009 series meeting this requirement.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 21, 2014 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Requirement for top 1000: 8.00 score
number of Shounen Ai with 8.00+ score: 48
number of Yaoi with 8.00+ score: 122
number with both of these tags: 5
total = 165

Total number of series with 8.00+ score: 1011

Remember: series with the same score are sorted by newest addition to MAL first, not by the score beyond 2dp.

Incidentally, a top 1000 without yaoi and shounen ai is easy to do. Just use this. Excluding these series the requirement for top 1000 drops from 8.00 to 7.93, with 1009 series meeting this requirement.
A very helpful fact regarding MAL system. Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

痛就是爱
Jan 21, 2014 3:46 PM

Sep 2011
I read earlier where you said that Yaoi doesn't accurately represent homosexuality, but that's not true. Have you read every Yaoi title out there?

I'm not a big fan of Yaoi, but I do read Yuri from time to time. The Yuri titles that I've read all accurately represent homosexuality in their own ways.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

387 by Bestkindoftrash »»
2 hours ago

» How many of your favorite mangas do you own physical copies of? ( 1 2 )

bucciest - May 29, 2023

66 by G-Orange »»
4 hours ago

» What device do you read Manga on? ( 1 2 )

SupremeGod - Sep 14, 2023

54 by Touka »»
5 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

25 by Herapath »»
11 hours ago

» Seinen vs Shounen

Faceless_Friend - Sep 7, 2021

36 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.