Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2014 7:25 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They got two robots intertwined, by Proposing command. Y2088 to be exact. That Dio guy doesn't remember Hina, though. That revealed before this ep. ends, and they will find out next ep.

Edit: I cannot help but to think the vocalist of TRUE (OP singer group) is Minorin. The voice sounds so alike (even though there's no page in Lantis yet).
tsubasaloverJan 12, 2014 7:43 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 12, 2014 10:48 AM

Dec 2012
Excellent second episode. Unlike Valvrave, this looks like a traditional mecha with strategy, politics, and self-actualization. The character designs, while not really innovative, are very nice to look at. They are clean and sharp. Same with the mech designs. Close-combat mech battles are done entirely on 2D, just as the producer has said. Only far-away shots are done with CG; and those look very good as well. I'm very pleased with the quality that studio 8 has put into this anime.

Future Hina appeared at this end of this episode on the enemy's side. The only thing Aoba has from her alternate self is that pink hairclip. Can he get to her and break the time loop? We have to tune in to find out.
Jan 12, 2014 11:38 AM
Jul 2011
I need to get use to the mecha design after watching Valvrave. The fighting scene was great, aside from the mecha design this is a good mecha anime this season.

I can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 12, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2008
I have never seen Valvrave so kind bother with it haha.
My thought of this episode that this future Hina don't know about Aoba, maybe she will remember him with that pink hairclip, but what happen with the other Hina that disappear.
This pace is on normal, not fast enough. :D

Preview: Reunion

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Mar 2013
slowly getting used to the mecha design after watching valvrave.The fighting scenes were good.So their senses are linked when they use that form? Hina appeared at the end of this episode.
RenAshdollJan 13, 2014 1:45 AM
Jan 12, 2014 11:13 PM
Aug 2012
What the fuck? still no sub?!
Jan 12, 2014 11:14 PM

Sep 2011
MrJupatho said:
What the fuck? still no sub?!

You're impatient.
Jan 13, 2014 5:03 AM
Feb 2013
Hmm, I wonder what happening here, usually Horrible Sub should release by now. Anyway I'm really like this series but I think the mech design is little strange it should take some time before I get used to it. lol
Jan 13, 2014 6:17 AM

Sep 2011
silentway said:
Hmm, I wonder what happening here, usually Horrible Sub should release by now. Anyway I'm really like this series but I think the mech design is little strange it should take some time before I get used to it. lol

No. FUNimation is a 1.5 day late cast. In other words, Mondays at around 10pmish.
TyrelJan 13, 2014 10:30 AM
Jan 13, 2014 6:21 AM
Feb 2013
Tyrel said:
silentway said:

No. FUNimation is a 1 day late cast. In other words, Mondays at around 10pmish.

Oh thank you very much.
Jan 13, 2014 7:22 AM

Oct 2011
Good episode and action too. Nice coupling with Aoba an Dio!!! Burst Proposal : O. Dio had no idea what Aoba was talking about when he mentioned Hina.

I hope Hina can break the chains of the timieloop.
Jan 13, 2014 11:17 AM

Nov 2009
Why do they even need the girl if it's already 'nice coupling' and maximum compatibility for them XD
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 13, 2014 12:12 PM

Mar 2012
This has got to be one of the best starts for a Sunrise mecha series since Gundam 00. Instead of having Aoba be inexplicably talented at piloting right at the outset (which was the case with Kakumeiki Valvrave just a couple of seasons ago), at least Sunrise made the more sensible choice of having him be genuinely inexperienced. So far it seems like the plot will be more or less straightforward as well so there won't be any screams of plot hole or loose ends. Well, Hina right now is still enemies with Aoba and Dio, but with Aoba finally meeting Hina next episode, change is going to come. Good stuff. Can't wait.
Jan 13, 2014 12:56 PM

Nov 2013
that last second twist with hina at the last second. dayum
Jan 13, 2014 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
>Nice coupling
Heh

Got a lot of SEED and Valvrave vibes this episode. Dat "nice coupling" process.

I got admit, the battle and OST was pretty intense. I'm guessing that kid has some sort of ability...as he is somehow able to see an opponent's moves before they strike. It reminds me of Code Geass Bismark's geass ability. Well the concept of war isn't a surprising factor to me. Mecha added to the mix too.

The very ending scene surprised me though.
Jan 13, 2014 1:20 PM

Apr 2013
only thing missing is a random rape scene.
Jan 13, 2014 1:27 PM

Sep 2013
so hina is an enemy hmm
Jan 13, 2014 1:28 PM
Jul 2013
Stark700 said:
>Nice coupling
Heh

Got a lot of SEED and Valvrave vibes this episode. Dat "nice coupling" process.

I got admit, the battle and OST was pretty intense. I'm guessing that kid has some sort of ability...as he is somehow able to see an opponent's moves before they strike. It reminds me of Code Geass Bismark's geass ability. Well the concept of war isn't a surprising factor to me. Mecha added to the mix too.

The very ending scene surprised me though.

Were you even paying attention? They said Aoba would be able to draw from Dio's experience as a pilot, and that's what he did. He saw what was happening and was shown what Dio would do.
Jan 13, 2014 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
wow i completely loved this ep. so hina is the enemy huh ? 5/5
Jan 13, 2014 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
The fight scene at the start was quite good and a lot of fun to watch, I would say this was a better episode than the first and hopefully it keeps getting better
Jan 13, 2014 1:45 PM

Nov 2013
"Nice coupling" and "First Proposing" ... nice start of a buddy relation. When is the marriage?

I am really looking forward when Aoba meets Hina in the battlefield.

Jan 13, 2014 1:58 PM

Feb 2012
was that Hina in the end? for some reason i dont like this MC he's a little bit too calm!
Jan 13, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2011
i wonder why was he needed in the future...
Hate Keeps me warm
Jan 13, 2014 2:10 PM
Feb 2013
ThangLong said:
Excellent second episode. Unlike Valvrave, this looks like a traditional mecha with strategy, politics, and self-actualization. The character designs, while not really innovative, are very nice to look at. They are clean and sharp. Same with the mech designs. Close-combat mech battles are done entirely on 2D, just as the producer has said. Only far-away shots are done with CG; and those look very good as well. I'm very pleased with the quality that studio 8 has put into this anime.

Future Hina appeared at this end of this episode on the enemy's side. The only thing Aoba has from her alternate self is that pink hairclip. Can he get to her and break the time loop? We have to tune in to find out.

'Just like Valvare' you mean. While this one seems to go more classical paths and that's good in it's own right, Valvare had some weak episodes, true, but also some very good ones, and, also important: pretty innovative ones, where it deviated and didn't follow the typical correctness nor the classical anime tropes.

Anyway, this anime seems to be a far more classical Mecha one, with nothing really bad about it, but nothing really outstanding neither, as of yet. It hasn't given much surprise, and all that 'proposal' talk was a bit...meh...(luckily we didn't see them going magical-girl/man naked in some weird 'union' as of yet, as some other Mecha anime in the past). So, for the time being, it's decent but not really something that gave it a clear edge over so many other Mecha-anime... though the time-lapses give it potential for something deeper, with maybe an intricate story where cause and effect have intertwined in a bizarre, interesting way.

We'll see.

Mod Edit: Valvrave's spoiler put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongJan 13, 2014 6:56 PM
Jan 13, 2014 2:33 PM
Nov 2013
AnimageNeby said:

'Just like Valvare' you mean. While this one seems to go more classical paths and that's good in it's own right, Valvare had some weak episodes, true, but also some very good ones, and, also important: pretty innovative ones, where it deviated and didn't follow the typical correctness nor the classical anime tropes.

some very good ones? that show has more bad than good things, i can't even find any very good one, not only the ending is bad but plot holes is all over the place, characterization suck, if they can't cover the plothole and made it better from S1 in S2, and in S2 they made another plothole, its useless for new season...

well i see some valvrave fans who give that show high rating kind of butthurt with this series and also because they don't want this show to be better than valvrave
so far it was wayyyy better than valvrave...

Mod Edit: Spoiler in quote fixed. Please refrain from discussing other series here.
ThangLongJan 13, 2014 6:58 PM
Jan 13, 2014 2:35 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Man that was frustrating. Took forever for Aoba to say "connect with Dio."
Gr33ncar said:
i wonder why was he needed in the future...

Same, and it's especially surprising that future Hina is their enemy?
Jan 13, 2014 2:38 PM
Jun 2012
when i saw hina first thought in my head was "called it" the whole dio not knowing who hina was nor anyone else led me to the conclusion shes the enemy. so we basically know that white head dies.. and hina somehow gets swayed to the alliance side.
Jan 13, 2014 2:45 PM

Aug 2008
It was already hinted since episode 1, when the pilot who went back to the past was all "Why You ?! Hina !!" and raging.
Jan 13, 2014 3:32 PM

Jul 2013
The episode was good but pretty slow for the most part. The MC is okay also, but a little slow on some parts. Another is the weird dialogue when they joint up each other like, "Nice Coupling, Proposing, Link Up," etc. Somewhat funny but weird in a sort of way.

I mean yeah some weird, slow things in here but the action, character designs, and the mecha designs were great overall. Just hope we get some more answers in next episode. Well, that ending scene, I don't know if that is Hina or not, but looks like it's not going well...

TBH I like this show that it is more lighthearted and less gruesome then any other Sunrise Mecha titles. At least there are no bloodshed in the 1st couple of episodes, killing off characters is basically not my thing.
omega_d94Jan 13, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 13, 2014 3:38 PM

Jul 2012
Somehow I have the feeling that she won't recognize him at all. The enemies want to capture the mecha,(looks to me like a forshadowing that Aoba will get captured while inside that mecha) so I think that something will happen between him and Hina at that time. Let's see how far my speculation will succeed xD.
bjornoJan 13, 2014 3:41 PM
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 13, 2014 3:58 PM
Feb 2013
Takeoff31 said:
AnimageNeby said:

some very good ones? that show has more bad than good things, i can't even find any very good one, not only the ending is bad but plot holes is all over the place, characterization suck, if they can't cover the plothole and made it better from S1 in S2, and in S2 they made another plothole, its useless for new season...

well i see some valvrave fans who give that show high rating kind of butthurt with this series and also because they don't want this show to be better than valvrave
so far it was wayyyy better than valvrave...

?

I hope that last part wasn't alluding to me. As said, this is a decent Mecha as well. But tastes differ, and while Valvare was far from being perfect, I do find a lot of redeeming qualities in it too. But it's difficult to debate tastes, I guess. Disagreeing about the value of (parts of) an anime does not make one into a 'fanboy', however (in the sense that no critical analysis is or can't be made anymore). Furthermore, seen as Valvrave is already ended, and this series only begins, it's a bit dubious that Valvrave would have gotten high rankings out of spite with this one; the vast majority of rankings and reviews/scores given, etc. has already been done before this new series came up.

Let's remain rational about this, and not turn into a fanboy oneself, I would say. This series is decent, but goes a more classical, downtrodden path of typical Mecha; Valvare often diverted from that (not always, but often). Maybe this series will become more original as well, and maybe there will be intriguing plot-devices in the form of causality-time travel...or maybe it will stay the same and develop plotholes too. We'll have to see.

I would say it has potential to be better than Valvare, but it's too early to tell. All depends on what you think is important in an anime, though. Personally, I long for something that is out-of-the-box, and thus I evaluate originality, plottwists and things that deviate from the typical expectancy one has, including typical anime-tropes, quite high.

Mod Edit: Spoiler in quote fixed.
ThangLongJan 13, 2014 6:59 PM
Jan 13, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2007
Can't help but giggle immaturely at all the mentions of "coupling", "proposing" "connecting"... kekeke.
Jan 13, 2014 4:07 PM

Aug 2013
The proposal part as definitely awkward ....said that... as a good episode with a great action. The concept of Aoba sharing knowledge of Dio to pilot its good and justify his piloting skills.
Jan 13, 2014 4:12 PM

Sep 2011
honestly i kind of liked this episode, dialogue needs a load of work but it was entertaining, it sets some groundwork up, and there really wasnt much i found bad

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 13, 2014 4:15 PM

May 2010
that was a great episode. soo much action + coupling. much better than anticipated.
nice little twist at the end :)

5/5
Jan 13, 2014 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like this series could work if it has 2 cours to develop its world, functions, and possibly the characters but if its only 1 cour this will likely be a mess

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 13, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2013
does any1 else think that the black haired leader of the enemies looks like Durandal in Gundam seed destiny o.o
Jan 13, 2014 4:34 PM

Feb 2011
Death to the enemies of Zogilla
Jan 13, 2014 4:44 PM
Apr 2013
zannet_t said:
This has got to be one of the best starts for a Sunrise mecha series since Gundam 00. Instead of having Aoba be inexplicably talented at piloting right at the outset (which was the case with Kakumeiki Valvrave just a couple of seasons ago), at least Sunrise made the more sensible choice of having him be genuinely inexperienced. So far it seems like the plot will be more or less straightforward as well so there won't be any screams of plot hole or loose ends. Well, Hina right now is still enemies with Aoba and Dio, but with Aoba finally meeting Hina next episode, change is going to come. Good stuff. Can't wait.

YES! Someone remembers Gundam 00!
Gundam 00 did something fantastic for me. Both seasons were amazing, and I'm hoping that this anime can turn into something as amazing as 00 was. I see a lot of people comparing this series to Valvrave, especially the mecha designs, but everything about this anime is reminding me of 00 aside from the plot. The jumpsuits they wear inside the mechas, the mecha designs for the most part, all of it is 00. The guy that gave Aoba the chocolate reminded me of Lockon Stratos a bit. My god the memories... Any who, this episode was really good. I got a pretty good idea of where this will go in about two episodes time, so I'll be waiting eagerly >:O

5/5
Jan 13, 2014 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
this reminds me of DRIFT COMPATIBILITY!!

anyway, something tells me this Hina from Zogilia is definitely the same person with time traveling Hina.. except that time traveling Hina is not from where they are now (2088) but from a few months/years in the future of that when Zogilian Hina is most likely befriended.. this is also why time traveling Hina already knows Aoba and Dio as well as their coupling compatibility.. the guy who attacked in 2014 is also the future version of that Zogilian silver haired guy because he knows about the relationship of the three, hates them, and if you're good at hearing voices, he shares the same VA as Zogilian silver haired guy..

of course, reverse causality happens since the reason why time travelling Hina needs to time travel in the first place is because she met Aoba in the future, and Aoba is in the future because Hina time traveled to the past.. yes, don't bother getting your heads over time travel paradoxes.. just roll with them..
Jan 13, 2014 5:04 PM
Aug 2011
I find almost certain that Hina won't remember Aoba, for the simple reason that, at least in my opinion, she doesn't have any memories of him. The Hina we have seen at the end of the episode is Hina in an earlier moment than the one who went back in time to find Aoba. She will arrive to meet Aoba later, she will fall in love with him and in the end something will happen that will force her to go back in time
Jan 13, 2014 5:25 PM

Apr 2009
Bertock said:
I find almost certain that Hina won't remember Aoba, for the simple reason that, at least in my opinion, she doesn't have any memories of him. The Hina we have seen at the end of the episode is Hina in an earlier moment than the one who went back in time to find Aoba. She will arrive to meet Aoba later, she will fall in love with him and in the end something will happen that will force her to go back in time
yep.. forgot to add in my post that they might make it another tragic Sunrise ending.. i mean, what happened to her after she tried going back? if she disappeared in the paradox, goodbye Hina..

also, i think that coupling doesn't only benefit Aoba for teaching him the mecha controls but i bet it also benefits Dio for adding Aoba's basketball reflexes and cunning to his already awesome piloting skills.. that's probably why Aoba ain't ordinary..
Jan 13, 2014 5:26 PM

Jan 2013
I'm confused if Aoba's bordering on precognitive piloting abilities is a result of a nice coupling with Dio. They did mention that he wasn't normal and his numbers were off the charts.

Oh boy, if it's related to a time loop bullshit this is going to be messy especially since we don't exactly know what happens to future!Aoba.
Jan 13, 2014 5:43 PM
Nov 2009
So many immature jokes and puns could be made because of all the words they used in this show. But no I'm gonna continue watching because it still seems interesting.

Death to the enemies of Zogilia.
Jan 13, 2014 5:58 PM

May 2013
"Nice coupling" lol. Those fighting scenes were pretty cool. Was that Hina at the end?
Jan 13, 2014 6:07 PM

Dec 2011
Just like I thought, the Hina that Aoba meet have disappear, Later he will meet with the current Hina, things happens, he tell her how she saved him in the past and about Dio, things happens, Hina went to the past, she protect the past Aoba,go to the future and disappear.

And then the same thing happen again and again, unless something happen to break the time loop, we know Hina's fate T_T
amc9988Jan 13, 2014 6:41 PM
Jan 13, 2014 7:03 PM

Jan 2008
Keep feeling like they're trying to make us ship the two guys with all this coupling and marrage shit. For a second I thought we were gonna get mecha fusion scene with naked guys spinning in a sparkly background like in Aquarion.
Jan 13, 2014 7:03 PM

Dec 2013
Haha "Nice Coupling" and "First Proposing"? I see why this is called Buddy Complex. Loved the action scenes.

Hina is the enemy? Interesting.
Jan 13, 2014 7:11 PM
Feb 2013
I feel creepy with that "nice coupling" words when both of them are guy. I know how Dio feels about that "coupling" thing to transform the robots. :D
I got a lot vibe about Gundam in this anime. Like the 2 fraction, the twist on characters from both side, etc. Well, I sense this'll be the better mecha anime this season and way better than Valvrave(I think), or maybe thats my wish.
Well, its just the mecha(s) seems a bit odd for me. Oh well, I will get to use it soon tho.

anyway, was hoping something's happen with that time-loop thing. I dont want the ending like Valvrave, frustrating ending.
Jan 13, 2014 7:24 PM

Dec 2009
I think they just took the Mecha mechanism from Pacific Rim and used it in Buddy Complex LOL, XD
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2014

91 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.