Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Thoughts so far - Manga or Anime - which version are you most enjoying/preferring?

New
Which portrayal of the story do you enjoy more?
Jan 11, 2014 1:57 PM

Sep 2012
I'm curious to know which version of the story seems more enjoyable for you.
I'm looking more specifically for people who have read the manga. It's not too serious of a poll, but I'm just curious. Some people are turned off by Shaft's style, but I found it to make the story more enjoyable.

I know there's only one episode, hence the "so far" in the title.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2014 2:21 PM

Nov 2011
It's been ages since I've read the first chapters of Nisekoi but so far, I like the anime only a slightly better because of Shaft's style. I was actually surprised it would be Shaft to produce this as I originally thought JC Staff or another studio would handle it~

I personally like Shaft's style and most of their works so this is definitely something...I'll look forward each week. Hell, weekends are going to be fun now this season. I'll probably vote half way into the series though.
Stark700Jan 11, 2014 2:36 PM
Jan 11, 2014 2:28 PM

May 2013
the anime solely for DAT shaft animation . Been loving that style since bakemonogatari
"Why the hell is it so easy to make people mad, and so difficult to make them smile?" -Kurosawa Dono
Jan 11, 2014 2:34 PM

Jul 2013
Right from when they added that scene with Raku cooking, I was already finding this more enjoyable than the manga. I even reread the first chapter just to get refresher on things that happened, and I have to say that I like they way Shaft did some of the scenes such as when Raku yelled at Chitoge with the rain pouring down afterwards. I always enjoyed Shaft's style, I wasn't sure what to expect with Nisekoi, but from this first episode, it was pretty awesome.
Jan 11, 2014 2:40 PM

Feb 2013
Considering I'm not reading the manga I will say the anime.
Jan 11, 2014 3:05 PM

May 2009
First few minutes and it sucks, too "Shafty"
Jan 11, 2014 4:18 PM

Jan 2013
It's funny how people dare to answer that anime is better, while stating that they didn't even try the manga. This is just weird.
Jan 11, 2014 6:53 PM

Jul 2013
Frontalbrise said:
It's funny how people dare to answer that anime is better, while stating that they didn't even try the manga. This is just weird.

i have read the manga... and i'd say anime is better. problem?
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 11, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2013
Frontalbrise said:

I have to say to people who enjoy the manga better (this is my opinion so you can ignore it if you want.) It was refreshing to see an adaptation that wasn't directly by the book (or manga in this case). The manga has its charm, but I was pleasantly surprised how the anime version was different but also at the same time the same story. Its really hard to pull of an adaptation that isn't exactly like the manga but not manage to piss off half of the original fanbase. Usually it ends up in a disaster (for example Aku no Hana and its rotoscoping) but I believe it worked really well for Nisekoi which was surprising to see it being so different from your average romcom.
Jan 12, 2014 3:33 AM

Jan 2013
Urek said:
Frontalbrise said:

i have read the manga... and i'd say anime is better. problem?
Not at all. As I said, I just dislike if people choose one, while not even look at the other. It's something that happens awfully often in anime discussion.
"Naruto is better than One Piece!!"
"Did you even watch One Piece?"
"NO! But Naruto is better!"

Something like this. I hate it.
Jan 12, 2014 3:51 AM

May 2012
The manga's art is nothing special, so it's Shaft for me.
I'm not really sure how much the story will keep me around though ...
Jan 12, 2014 7:05 AM

Jan 2014
Seeing as I'm a Shaft fanboy, the choice is an obvious one for me. Anime all the way.

Loving the vivid colours, camera angels, head tilts, etc..
Jan 12, 2014 9:44 AM

Feb 2013
Everything is great so far but HanaKana voicing Onodera somehow puts me off. Don't get me wrong, I love her voice but it doesn't really suite Onodera, in my opinion.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jan 12, 2014 9:58 AM
Jul 2012
The simplistic yet stunning animation, the head tilts, the plethora of camera angles,the potential is high.
Jan 12, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2008
Frontalbrise said:

I find it more jarring that some would watch this "just because" its shaft. It just comes out as insincere to me. Like you're being friends with someone just because they're rich.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Jul 2013
the manga ofcourse because I dont like the animation in this anime
Jan 12, 2014 1:44 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I think Nisekoi is entertaining for me because of it's cliche romcom/harem tone that it has. Someone else said something like this in the episode 1 discussion too. Not that I completely dislike what Shaft has done with Nisekoi, it's actually quite entertaining since it's like seeing Nisekoi from a different perspective, but I still prefer manga over anime.
Jan 12, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
Most of those who voted for Anime probably haven't read much of the manga at all.

Like I mentioned in the episode thread, its all about fit. Shafting Nisekoi was totally unexpected, and given its a romcom, a bit needless. Would have totally preferred the Oreimo or ToraDora treatment over this, and am betting most manga readers would as well.

Manga all the way. Given the material to work with, each episode could have been one chapter of the manga (three at most), but seeing as its been shafted, I'm guessing they're probably going to skip around and omit much of the fun stuff.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 13, 2014 11:08 PM

Jul 2009
I generally prefer manga version. After one episode I think it's a little early to call though. And it's not as if I haven't seen good (or better) adaptations.

kaimax said:
I find it more jarring that some would watch this "just because" its shaft. It just comes out as insincere to me. Like you're being friends with someone just because they're rich.
Eh, not really. I mean, it's like saying you watch a Spielberg movie because it's got Speilberg's name on it. Insincere? Nah. They're as much a fan of Shaft as you are of Komi-sensei.

Anyway, this seems like a better fit for the other topic than this one, so I'll leave it at that.
Jan 14, 2014 12:17 AM

Dec 2011
kaimax said:

I like Shaft's animation style. I dislike most romcoms and harems. The fact that this anime is being animated by Shaft has piqued my interest. Why should I require a "better" reason to watch something?
Jan 14, 2014 12:21 AM
Feb 2013
So far this has got to be the best adaptation of a manga that I have seen. But I like the manga, and almost read all 100+ chapters in one sitting :I
Jan 14, 2014 12:22 AM

Nov 2012
Personally I don't like mangas as much as I love animes. I don't enjoy comic books either. But if animes had novels I could've enjoy them. It's totally my personal opinion though!
Jan 20, 2014 12:40 AM

Oct 2013
I prefer the manga. It's just that they left out a lot of things that could have added to the humor in the anime. Plus episode 2 seems rushed to me. They squeezed 3 chapters in one episode.
Jan 20, 2014 7:01 AM
Oct 2013
With both of my thumbs up, the anime is much much more amazing than the manga. Aniplex and Shaft managed to successfully bring a fruitful life to the manga. I'm glad that they handled this adaptation as there's no one better than them to adapt this manga series just like how successful the almost all, if not all, Monogatari Series were.

The manga felt repetitive and boring as it continues to reach its 100th chapter due to the harem key girls keeps "spawning" but with the producing studio, I'm rest assured it would be more interesting.

-Riptide- said:
I prefer the manga. It's just that they left out a lot of things that could have added to the humor in the anime. Plus episode 2 seems rushed to me. They squeezed 3 chapters in one episode.

From someone who made Chitoge, the anime version, an avatar... -.-

I think they did an amazing job though by connecting all 3 chapters instead of making fillers which would be very very bad. The anime is better.

kaimax said:
Frontalbrise said:

Bad perspective and analogy. If I were to pick a "closer" and "better" analogy, then it would be - "I'm using this toothbrush because it's Colgate; just as I would watch this anime because it's Shaft". Likewise, it's on the same plane of thoughts as "I like Stephen King's books so I read them" but not "I friend them because they're rich."

If I were to put in few words, your analogy is somewhere along "tool" or "being used" while the other one is "like" or "desire".

Mod edit: merged double post
koleareJan 20, 2014 1:02 PM
Jan 20, 2014 7:45 AM

May 2009
Both are shit.
I read it because I like Shoe, Ruri, reaction faces, sometimes jokes are funny. Not even Shaft with their overused style can make it good.
It's Love Hina of this decade but even more plotless.
Chitoge - Naru
Onodera - Shinobu
Tsugumi - Motoko
Marika - Mutsumi
Imoutoshit of Onadera - Imoutoshit of Keitaro
Jan 20, 2014 10:19 AM

Oct 2012
I prefer the anime. Manga was fun to read but the way SHAFT animates makes it even better ^w^

Jan 20, 2014 1:04 PM

Aug 2010
Jan 20, 2014 3:14 PM
Dec 2011
Well I go for manga simpely because I don't like how the anime looks like SHAFT spent 99% of their budget on drugs (which they obviously did)
Jan 20, 2014 4:38 PM

Apr 2013
kaimax said:
Frontalbrise said:

It's not insincere at all. If someone happens to enjoy Shaft's style or unique take on things why shouldn't they want to watch their shows? Personally, I hate Nisekoi's story because it's generic crap, but I like Shinbou's style, so I like the art, pacing and ridiculous little flourishes he adds. Not to mention that Kana Hanazawa and Kana Asumi are main characters. I'll watch practically anything with them in it as long as it isn't a show for children.
TheAshmanComethJan 20, 2014 4:49 PM
Jan 20, 2014 6:12 PM

Dec 2009
I've read the manga since day one I gotta be real frank,
I'm really disappointed with the voices actors, Chitoge's voice I kinda got used to since episode 2 and started to accept it and love her voice but the rest I don't think they fit like I imagined from the manga.

It's really hard to accept because I don't "feel" it at all.
Each time I watch it, even though the view (art, graphics, background and facial expression, etc.) is gorgeous... I can't "feel" the love... I can't really enjoy it like I normally would enjoy an anime...
It's really disappointing. The fucking voices don't fit. I might get used to it like the other past experiences I've had but honestly this feels like a whole new level, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't enjoy it all the way through...
Jan 21, 2014 12:26 AM
Jun 2011
waalex11 said:
I've read the manga since day one I gotta be real frank,
I'm really disappointed with the voices actors, Chitoge's voice I kinda got used to since episode 2 and started to accept it and love her voice but the rest I don't think they fit like I imagined from the manga.

It's really hard to accept because I don't "feel" it at all.
Each time I watch it, even though the view (art, graphics, background and facial expression, etc.) is gorgeous... I can't "feel" the love... I can't really enjoy it like I normally would enjoy an anime...
It's really disappointing. The fucking voices don't fit. I might get used to it like the other past experiences I've had but honestly this feels like a whole new level, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't enjoy it all the way through...
the only one i not agree with you is onedora i think her voice actor fit her perfectly
Jan 21, 2014 3:58 AM
Jul 2013
sherlock5545 said:
Everything is great so far but HanaKana voicing Onodera somehow puts me off. Don't get me wrong, I love her voice but it doesn't really suite Onodera, in my opinion.

This.. I 100% agree, shes got an amazing voice but shes totally not right for Onodera.
Jan 21, 2014 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
sherlock5545 said:

Whaaaaat? considering Onodera's personality, she's right up Kana Hanazawa's alley. After all Kana also voiced a gazillion characters that's just like Onodera (Manaka, Shiemi, Shiori).

As for the anime, I'm actually glad that Shaft is producing it Bakemonogatari style. I don't know why people complain about it but I think it gives a new dimension to the story. The manga is of course very entertaining in its own right but the anime also stands out from the manga thanks to the animation style. It's really too bad they won't be able to adapt a good portion of the manga.

As far as romcom anime goes, Nisekoi is good but not great... yet. It has only been 2 episodes so it wouldn't be fair to judge. Imo so far it hasn't been as entertaining as say, Lovely Complex or Kimi ni Todoke, but it may reach that level with further viewing. No, I'm sure it will be right up there once Tsugumi appears ^_^
Jan 21, 2014 8:16 AM

Oct 2011
I prefer manga.
SHAFT's animation style doesn't work that well with Nisekoi's theme imo.
Signature
Jan 22, 2014 2:50 AM

Oct 2013
mbdsquad said:

-Riptide- said:

From someone who made Chitoge, the anime version, an avatar... -.-

I think they did an amazing job though by connecting all 3 chapters instead of making fillers which would be very very bad. The anime is better

I made the anime version of Chitoge as my avatar because I like her and making a character from a manga as an avatar would look pretty lifeless. And I just said I prefer the manga. Doesn't mean that I don't like the anime. I like both but for me the manga is more enjoyable
Jan 22, 2014 5:47 AM

Nov 2012
hmm its so difficult!!! haha :3
shaft has done a great job with the adaptation buy not really detail like the manga..
but the manga really love it..

ah yes I will say this.. I will prefer the adaptation..
.. IF!
Jan 25, 2014 12:25 PM
Jun 2011
makarov52 said:
shaft has done a great job with the adaptation buy not really detail like the manga..

.. IF!
actully i prefer for them to finish when the memory lost arc will end
Jan 25, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2013
elior1 said:
makarov52 said:

.. IF!

I might be wrong but something tells me that Shaft could make an original ending.

But on topic.
I prefer the manga because Shaft's style didn't give the same impression as the mangaka's style. It disturbed me at the beginning but I'm getting used to it.
But it's not because I like the manga better that I don't enjoy the anime at all. It's actually one of the shows I'm looking forward the most each week.
(but still, its score is 8.06. That's just my opinion but I think it's a tiny bit too high)
YumeNoMonogatariJan 25, 2014 2:12 PM
Jan 25, 2014 3:26 PM
Jun 2011
YumeNoMonogatari said:
elior1 said:
makarov52 said:

.. IF!

I might be wrong but something tells me that Shaft could make an original ending.

But on topic.
I prefer the manga because Shaft's style didn't give the same impression as the mangaka's style. It disturbed me at the beginning but I'm getting used to it.
But it's not because I like the manga better that I don't enjoy the anime at all. It's actually one of the shows I'm looking forward the most each week.
(but still, its score is 8.06. That's just my opinion but I think it's a tiny bit too high)
if they will do a original ending when the real girl with the key will open the locket then i will be happy
Jan 25, 2014 3:55 PM
Feb 2010
I really, really love the manga. I also REALLY, REALLY love SHAFT. I can't really decide. It has been more than a year that I started the manga. The first episode wasn't so good, it didn't get me hookid like the manga, but I really like it.

Guess the manga win this round, for me.
Jan 25, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2010
I appreciate that Shaft's style is fresh and creative which makes Nisekoi stand out from the massive collections of romcoms and harems out there.

Problem with this, I find, is that Shaft's style has a more sophisticated and intelligent (as in more thought provoking) feel which does not match Nisekoi's lightheartedness. Makes me feel that the anime is trying to be more than your run of the mill romcom which is not true. Nisekoi is the average romcom but that's its charm. By trying to make it appear more, the anime comes off as fake.

Say as you like, I just can't help but constantly think why is this scene being more dramatic than it needs to be or why waste so much time emphasizing a spoken phrase when it doesn't hold much meaning, when it comes down to it?
Jan 25, 2014 7:43 PM
Apr 2010
I understand that Shaft definitely adds its own style to its works, be it adopted from a written work or not. The thing is however, with Nisekoi I feel that the "Shaft style" of animation just doesn't suit the overall tone of the anime. Don't get me wrong, they look gorgeous, but they're also extremely distracting. I take way less time looking at the characters than I am at the effects on the environment; it's not supposed to be like that.

There's also the clash of Shaft's anime style vs the manga's "dynamics"; by this I mean in the manga, you can fully imagine how something will move/feel, and the manga feels fit to be an anime in on itself. Using shaft's style makes it feel like the characters barely move.

There's also this "seriousness" I feel that Shaft put into the anime, which the manga didn't really try to have; sure the manga had some serious, heart-felt chapters, but the rest were slap-stick, almost episodic humor within it. It's supposed to be a lighthearted plot line with more emphasis on the outrageous the reactions of the characters are, rather than having a love polygon (yes polygon, if you've been reading the manga at all). Not to mention the author's amazing facial expressions. I feel like its somewhat being drowned out by Shafts love of random scene cuts and super far shots.

I would say if you've never read the manga, this would be a good anime, but as it stands, when comparing the two, I like the lightheartedness of the plot progression, and the hilarity of the facial expressions of the characters in the manga. That doesn't mean I'm going to drop the anime though. :)
Jan 25, 2014 8:15 PM

Nov 2008
I was not going to watch the anime because I am reading the manga, but I am liking the anime. I'm enjoying the animation style although it always reminds me of Monogatari and I really hope that there is an original anime episode.

As to which one I like better, I guess I will have to wait till the end, but if they anime the chapters with Kirisaki's mom, I think I will go with the anime!
Jan 25, 2014 8:16 PM

Nov 2012
elior1 said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
elior1 said:
makarov52 said:

.. IF!

But on topic.
if they will do a original ending when the real girl with the key will open the locket then i will be happy

@elior hoho yeah I'm totally agree with you, shaft should adapt it until memory lost arc XD

@yume hoho.. I know that feeling.. I know the different between the manga and the adaptation.. they are completely different.. but for me.. both are cool.. I love them both :3 .. *because shaft's style is really interesting.. and I love it :p* but yes.. I know why some preferring the manga than the adaptation... both style are completely different.. some like "normal" style like the manga.. and some like "weird" style like the adaptation that shaft made, that some of them like it because they really like it or just dont really mind with it.. :3
so I can understand it hoho :3 CMIIW

hmm original ending? I think shaft cant do that.. because in the manga the true girl still unknown.. if shaft do that, then I wonder what will happen with the manga.. :/
my prediction is they will adapt it until the arc where they are having school trip together.. hmm.. but the onsen scene I wonder how its gonna be XD
just cant get enough until I see tsugumi XD

*sorry for bad language.. really not good in english >< (())*
Jan 25, 2014 8:59 PM
Jun 2013
LF>Both choice..Am a huge fan of this series (not that big of a shaft fan tho).

Am waiting for Raku to hurry the hell up and go out with Chitoge for reals -_-.
Jan 25, 2014 11:27 PM
Jun 2011
makarov52 said:
elior1 said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
elior1 said:
makarov52 said:

.. IF!

But on topic.

@elior hoho yeah I'm totally agree with you, shaft should adapt it until memory lost arc XD

@yume hoho.. I know that feeling.. I know the different between the manga and the adaptation.. they are completely different.. but for me.. both are cool.. I love them both :3 .. *because shaft's style is really interesting.. and I love it :p* but yes.. I know why some preferring the manga than the adaptation... both style are completely different.. some like "normal" style like the manga.. and some like "weird" style like the adaptation that shaft made, that some of them like it because they really like it or just dont really mind with it.. :3
so I can understand it hoho :3 CMIIW

hmm original ending? I think shaft cant do that.. because in the manga the true girl still unknown.. if shaft do that, then I wonder what will happen with the manga.. :/
my prediction is they will adapt it until the arc where they are having school trip together.. hmm.. but the onsen scene I wonder how its gonna be XD
just cant get enough until I see tsugumi XD

*sorry for bad language.. really not good in english >< (())*
it will be a bold move for shaft to show original ending which the real girl open the locket but it will be the best ending for the anime for me
Jan 25, 2014 11:56 PM

Jan 2014
alltho i like the story of manga better i find it relaxing to watch anime so i tend to do a lot of both. well i am starting to read more manga.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Jan 26, 2014 1:22 AM
Oct 2010
Flipside101 said:

There's also this "seriousness" I feel that Shaft put into the anime, which the manga didn't really try to have; sure the manga had some serious, heart-felt chapters, but the rest were slap-stick, almost episodic humor within it. It's supposed to be a lighthearted plot line with more emphasis on the outrageous the reactions of the characters are, rather than having a love polygon (yes polygon, if you've been reading the manga at all). Not to mention the author's amazing facial expressions. I feel like its somewhat being drowned out by Shafts love of random scene cuts and super far shots.

I'm not actually sure what you mean by seriousness. I haven't seen anything remotely serious in this anime as yet except when what's his name was making that gorilla girl help him look for his locket. Other than that it's been pretty light hearted.
Jan 26, 2014 2:13 AM

Apr 2013
makarov52 said:

I think ending the anime on the Romeo and Juliette play would be the best choice.
Jan 27, 2014 2:36 AM

Nov 2012
YumeNoMonogatari said:
makarov52 said:

I think ending the anime on the Romeo and Juliette play would be the best choice.

ah yes.. maybe it would end on that chapter too.. :3
but really really hope it will be like one piece or naruto XD its gonna be really really good if its gonna be like that XD

elior1 said:
it will be a bold move for shaft to show original ending which the real girl open the locket but it will be the best ending for the anime for me

hmm.. I still think its not gonna be good.. because even in the manga.. the true girl still unknown yet.. they just know 1 piece of memory...
but well if you think its gonna be great then so be it.. :3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2014

494 by Shyne_KZ »»
Apr 12, 5:28 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

484 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Jan 1, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

237 by Term4738 »»
Dec 23, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 17, 2014

286 by WELLERM »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2014

264 by WELLERM »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.