Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 24, 2013 1:02 AM

Jul 2013
AndyRayy said:
I suppose I was too optimistic to expect some of the other VN players to not bitch about every little detail of the episode. And again with the J.C. hate? I guess people are still butthurt about Key not waiting for KyoAni to finish their production queue, as if that would change so much about this already perfectly fine adaptation. Figures.

THIS.THIS.THIS.
SO MUCH THIS.
QFT.QFT.QFT.

As a VN player,I found the entire anime amazing.J.C Staff did a nice job.
Guess most people bash J.C Staff from nowhere because of the whole KyoAni thing,really.
KarlieeNov 24, 2013 1:06 AM
Nov 24, 2013 1:11 AM

Sep 2012
I rewatched a few times, and the 2nd half is really good, especially with the dialogue. It really highlighted the full circle aspect of Riki/Kyousuke. The 2nd half being better animated and well done was pretty nice.

Come to think of it, Little Melody as an ending would've been a really subtle ending and song to use with the amount of intensity that this episode brought towards the end. The whole fight with Masato and Kyousuke was nicely done. It wasn't like the VN, but I think the 2nd part of the episode was great in its own right.

The episode actually re-focused the arc to highlight Riki's strength and the parallel between Kyousuke and Riki. I think the full circle aspect was crystal clear for anime watchers, and that's going to aid to the impact of the later episodes.
Thematically, the show is keeping itself consistent and clear, though some of the plot events are losing development.
Nov 24, 2013 1:47 AM

Jul 2013
Redfoxoffire said:
It's pretty fucking annoying coming into these topics every week to see the VN readers being mad at everything.

I liked the episode. So there.

Basically it.

It was a good episode, and while I didn't get the answers I wanted from the previous episode (which is now the plot), I found that it was quite something to delve into Masato's mind and see why he wanted to be the strongest, albeit having the entire situation to be not exactly clear. I like the position Riki's in, trying to get all of his friends back together and be the Little Busters again, with one person at a time.

It was a pleasant episode, perhaps not the best of the season, but it was still pretty damn good.
Nov 24, 2013 1:57 AM
Sep 2013
CamoBullo said:
Redfoxoffire said:
It's pretty fucking annoying coming into these topics every week to see the VN readers being mad at everything.

I liked the episode. So there.

Basically it.

It was a good episode, and while I didn't get the answers I wanted from the previous episode (which is now the plot), I found that it was quite something to delve into Masato's mind and see why he wanted to be the strongest, albeit having the entire situation to be not exactly clear. I like the position Riki's in, trying to get all of his friends back together and be the Little Busters again, with one person at a time.

It was a pleasant episode, perhaps not the best of the season, but it was still pretty damn good.

Why he wanted to be the strongest?

It was his past. Clearly. I think the bad translation from horrible sub or whatever clouded you.
Nov 24, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2012
@JimRaynor

When CamoBullo stated, "albeit having the entire situation to be not exactly clear." I think he was referring to the whole Masato delusions part and him rampaging, rather than Masato's motivations to become stronger, which were quite clear in the episode.
Nov 24, 2013 2:25 AM

Sep 2012
After this episode, the meaning of Refrain from the title should become more clear.
Nov 24, 2013 2:54 AM

Sep 2012
Okay, that certainly was a lot shorter than I expected. I guess one episode isn't QUITE enough the material in the same depth as the VN. I mean, there was a lot of interesting conversation between Riki and Masato during the fight that got cut out, which certainly was a shame.

I essence of the route was there, but it certainly could have benefitted from more time in my opinion. I can see anime viewers getting lost this episode. The change in tone is just so dramatic. But it's not bad. The adaptation keeps the information necessary to understand the story (in the future), but a lot of "brotime" between Riki and Masato was, unfortunately, lost.

Also, no "Rin, it's me! Don't you recognise me?!" Bit disappointing. That part was really good. And why the hell didn't Masato take off his jacket?

And I'll be honest. I liked Song for Friends...
SleepingEntityNov 24, 2013 2:58 AM
Nov 24, 2013 2:55 AM

Sep 2012
egnaro315 said:
After this episode, the meaning of Refrain from the title should become more clear.

It's interesting how you can stretch every definition of 'refrain' to fit the story of Little Busters. Repetition would be the main definition, though.
Nov 24, 2013 3:08 AM

Jan 2013
3 guys with Masato as their avatar in a row.

This was a good episode. At the same time, it's not what I expected out of this season of Little Busters. Maybe a bit too silly while being serious at the same time.
Nov 24, 2013 3:26 AM
Sep 2013
It's funny that lots of people in last few weeks whining about JC staff didn't use the BGM "A World Where Nothing Happened".

Now we've got it in this episode, then they changed other stuff to whine.

Keep whining, and keep assuming anime-only viewers' perspective. LOL

No any constructive but negative opinions, so damn brilliant JC haters. It is you who ruined my mood.
JimRaynorNov 24, 2013 3:29 AM
Nov 24, 2013 3:42 AM

Sep 2012
Egnaro315 made this. It's pretty cool, and similar to how it would've been if JC Staff wasn't JC Staff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8l6wfLeqU
Nov 24, 2013 4:12 AM

Oct 2013
As an Anime watcher only, this episode is amazing. But, Riki's derp face are back from season 1...
Can't wait for next week's episode :D
Nov 24, 2013 4:14 AM

Feb 2011
I can't believe you're arguing over an OST -_-

As for me , who I only watched the anime , it was pretty good , but I'm still confused as f.
Nov 24, 2013 4:15 AM

Dec 2012
Vladz0r said:
Egnaro315 made this. It's pretty cool, and similar to how it would've been if JC Staff wasn't JC Staff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8l6wfLeqU

Definitely prefer these subs over the one I just watched lol.
"Ill stick with you until the end" vs "Ill stick with you until the last moment comes"

Ah well..
J.C. Plz. Get cho shit together for the last few episodes yeah?!
Fingers still crossed.
Nov 24, 2013 4:49 AM

Sep 2012
Ok episode, which makes it the best LB episode so far.
Nov 24, 2013 5:15 AM

Nov 2012
People are slating this episode but in all honesty, I didn't think it was too bad. Sure they could have made some improvements and I thought they were going to drag this over two episodes rather than one but in retrospect, I think it wasn't to bad. But I do have to agree, I too was hoping for Little Melody.
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Nov 24, 2013 5:33 AM

Apr 2012
Rewatched the episode for the third time, dividing into two parts at the time where the title shows up.

It turned out acceptable when you watch it seperately.
I guess the first part is the main reason why most people disliked this episode because it distracted them (well including me of course) from enjoying the second half.

About the arguments about the ost placements, of course LM will sound better and SFF is acceptable but when the second "la la la la la la, la la la la la la" part gets cut off, it creates a strange feeling which distracted my concentration to the part(which is supposed to be the touching part).

JimRaynor said:
It's funny that lots of people in last few weeks whining about JC staff didn't use the BGM "A World Where Nothing Happened".

Now we've got it in this episode, then they changed other stuff to whine.

Keep whining, and keep assuming anime-only viewers' perspective. LOL

No any constructive but negative opinions, so damn brilliant JC haters. It is you who ruined my mood.

I see people saying yay to that BGM finally being placed into the anime lol. About the whining, lets say your boss forgot to give you your salary and he finally gave it to you and now he shouts at you everyday and you are not allowed to whine about it. What do you feel? This is this and that is that. Oh, and no one really assumed the AOVs' perspectives as what I saw.
You see, everyone will have different opinions on the same episode. You might have loved it but some might not, just like not everyone likes raw fish lol
You talk about how much you like the episode and I won't bitch about you admiring it, but at the same time when others are whining about the episode not effectively delivering their expected level of awesomeness in the VN, you shouldn't be giving such harsh comments too.
For someone who think that this episode is meh, I can agree with you that I loved the third episode and I cried watching it. But for the stated reasons I just can't think this episode is satisfying, while some of you think that it has already met your expectations.
But well, the thing is that from this episode I realized that my bar is still set to be too high because of the first three episodes. So yeah, including many VN people who whined on this episode, I think we will not be whining that much starting from the next because we won't hype too much on it.
FYI, I read the masato episode a few times the week before the episode aired and imagined how awesome that it will be animated (and truly thought that this part is one of the best bits of the VN) when it turned out to be just "acceptable" or "good" for some of us. The disappointment at that instant.

-- Maybe the reason I again adjusted my comment towards the episode from meh to acceptable is because I adjusted my expectations. Guess some of you guys who cried to this are more forgiving while some of us who disliked this episode is stricter on the adaption. You can't really blame us for hoping our favourite novel to be adapted as good as possible.
=======================
Oh and by the way, after writing ^^^, I realized that might hopes might have really been to high for JC. I trusted them to bring almost the level of views in the VN, since I felt more in episode 3 than in the VN that I really set my hopes really high for the adaption.
So, I will give a 3.5/5 for this episode. It wasn't really that bad, but not awesome like in the VN. It was at most... 'good'.
inuvivoNov 24, 2013 5:40 AM
@inuvivo on twitter!
Nov 24, 2013 6:59 AM

Sep 2011
^This post summed up my thoughts, I agree with pretty much everything you said... That's also why I initially disliked SFF. Episode 3 made my hype level soar and this was just acceptable, but that's only after I watched it a second time (and just a moment ago a third with subs). Our complaints may be annoying but it is a discussion, and we're all entitled to our opinion on the episode.

I also rarely notice BGM changes unless I feel it is absolutely out of place, I honest still don't remember most of the names except for the ones used in climax scenes. :P I thought Two Sugars was the one where Rin and Riki made their traps because I felt it was too sudden of a shift from the previous scene LOL... OTL I should go listen to them all... Then again that might make me care about the BGM placements even more so never mind.
"Now's the time for you to run towards the day you awaken from this dream."

~Boys be Smile
Nov 24, 2013 7:05 AM

Jan 2011
Karliee said:
As a VN player,I found the entire anime amazing.J.C Staff did a nice job.
Guess most people bash J.C Staff from nowhere because of the whole KyoAni thing,really.

Ironically, some people don't even want Kyoani to touch LB!.

What I think is that when people complain, it's more of a minor gripe they have with something. It's not a detrimental thing where viewers go "oh god what is this anime, there is no LB! anime".

For me, the major gripe I have with series is that WB gave enough budget for 13 episodes; as a result, lot of stuff are rushed. I feel like 16 episodes (with 8 for EX) would have been a wiser choice for adaptation.. But of course, that's another argument that I can write a wall of text of. But to the point, my expectations for Refrain has been reduced and I've actually been satisfied for what JC could do with those limited episodes.
dizzyworld2Nov 24, 2013 7:08 AM
Nov 24, 2013 7:35 AM

Nov 2013
Like the episode, Masato is very OP. Cried during the end not as much as when I read the vn though. Nice punch Riki XD.
This episode is the the whole reasons I like him.

By the way correct me if I'm wrong but
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate... Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed... Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are... Death awaits you."
—Nyx Avatar, Persona 3
Nov 24, 2013 7:53 AM

Sep 2011
Ace000 said:

Yeah but he keeps that on his thoughts.

Nov 24, 2013 8:00 AM

Nov 2013
Tennouji_ said:
Ace000 said:

Yeah but he keeps that on his thoughts.

Ahh thx. I really need to reread the vn after the anime ends XD
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate... Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed... Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are... Death awaits you."
—Nyx Avatar, Persona 3
Nov 24, 2013 8:04 AM

May 2012
If anyone wants to fucking complain during Kengo episode I will hurt you
Nov 24, 2013 8:09 AM

Nov 2013
planetarian said:
If anyone wants to fucking complain during Kengo episode I will hurt you

I won't complain. I very grateful that Little Buster! even gets to be animated XD
—Nyx Avatar, Persona 3
Nov 24, 2013 8:20 AM

Mar 2013
I don't understand why you all LN people are complaining so much about. this is a "Adaptation" it's not meant to be completelly like the LN. now, I never played the LN but I found this episode preety good and the music very addequate.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Nov 24, 2013 8:36 AM
Jun 2013
vilmarbf said:
I don't understand why you all LN people are complaining so much about. this is a "Adaptation" it's not meant to be completelly like the LN. now, I never played the LN but I found this episode preety good and the music very addequate.

It's a VN (Visual Novel), not a LN (Light Novel).

Us, VN readers tend to have great expectation, encouraged by the wondrous PV we got in August. Of course, you said it, it's an adaptation, so they have to put aside a lot of contents, especially because they only have the budget for one cour. It could have been better, probably with a better budget, but I think they did pretty well with what they had so far. Some episodes weren't that good (episode 4 and 7) but others (Episode 6 and 8) were adapted correctly, if not more. So, yeah, we often overreact because it lacks of impact compared to the original material, I won't deny that because I do it too. Nevertheless, this episode is still the best so far in my opinion. The feels were here, once again, not as much as in the VN, but still, it was a very good episode and I'm looking forward to the next, even if I have some trouble not to worry about it.
Nov 24, 2013 8:37 AM

Aug 2010
Vladz0r said:
Mm, I always wonder why 95% of the Crunchyroll and Reddit comments on the show seem to be positive, but MAL is super critical. It's funny that Little Busters!: Refrain, which started out as a romcom moe harem, attracted such an extremely critical audience.

The people who comment on crunchyroll are actually watching this anime how it's supposed to be watched.

I'd say this is the best episode so far for LB. Was actually surprised to see it having a lower score than some of the earlier episodes.
Nov 24, 2013 9:23 AM

Nov 2012
damn.. I really speechless seriously.. :3 masato has a hard past :3
hmm so they will make little busters again? good luck riki! XD
go help kengo and kyousuke!! XD
Nov 24, 2013 3:44 PM

May 2013
I expected a lot more having come on here for the previous episode discussion to find hysteria about this next awesome episode.

In all honesty as an anime only viewer once again I felt a bit confused (hence me coming back here) and wondering what was so significant about that episode. Yes it was nice looking into the past but it just felt like nothing really happened, hopefully i'll understand it more after it finishes. If not i'll have to blitz the VN to figure out wth is going on :p
Nov 24, 2013 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Am I the only one here wondering when Riki learned how to fight? o.O
Nov 24, 2013 5:28 PM

Sep 2010
I wonder if Kyousuke was the one behind Masato's hallucinations... He's the only person that should be capable of that. Although I wonder if he can even do anything in that broken state?

I hope this will be explained later..
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Nov 24, 2013 10:55 PM

May 2012
This EP turned out alright. Considering that J.C.'s time is limited to fit everything perfectly.
xAvengerx said:
Am I the only one here wondering when Riki learned how to fight? o.O

Some lucky hits I would say.
Nov 24, 2013 11:50 PM

Apr 2013
Almost pushed to tears this episode. The OST helped to establish much more of the emotion compared to the VN. For the most part, I am satisfied at how the adaptation turned out this time.
Nov 25, 2013 1:40 AM

Apr 2012
Vladz0r said:
I do too, and I think his arc will at least make more sense to anime-only watchers.

Also, LB Refrain Saya Blu-Ray CM- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58cpWOLQqzs
I guess this is where the Refrain budget went =p

They said they will be using the EX version of the OP in the EX anime right? I realised that it is not the first season anime mix version of the OP from "sono hi no mukou made" but somehow it still sounds a little different from the EX version. I wonder if they made another version or it is just me :o
@inuvivo on twitter!
Nov 25, 2013 2:37 AM

Sep 2011
xMaebaraK1x said:
Vladz0r said:
I do too, and I think his arc will at least make more sense to anime-only watchers.

Also, LB Refrain Saya Blu-Ray CM- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58cpWOLQqzs
I guess this is where the Refrain budget went =p

They said they will be using the EX version of the OP in the EX anime right? I realised that it is not the first season anime mix version of the OP from "sono hi no mukou made" but somehow it still sounds a little different from the EX version. I wonder if they made another version or it is just me :o

Most likely, yes since I didn't notice that it's originally EX version but I guess they remix it.

Nov 25, 2013 2:53 AM

Oct 2012
Another good episode, I rather like it. And even sound direction felt good contrary to what other people of this thread thinks. TV is whole different format than PC and some things that worked there doesn't need to work here. Try not to compare it, it can't be done, VNs are always better than animes because of huge amounts of time you devote to it. Song for Friends had its deserved impact here (not to mention they have many chances to use other tracks and go playing Song for Friends again).

Anyway, everything needed was there, so I guess they did the right job.
Nov 25, 2013 7:35 AM

Sep 2012
This episode is about Masato, on how he got stronger and joined Little Busters.

That childhood part was admiring, btw they're cute little kids

Riki was strong enough to beat Masato, so Masato was just testing Riki back then.
Nov 25, 2013 8:38 AM
Jun 2013
I would have loved to see a badass shota Masato like in the PV : http://koi-nya.net/img/subidos_posts/2013/09/Little-Busters-Refrain-730x410.jpg

Hope we'll get to see this scene in the few episodes to come : http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/little-busters-refrain-pv-still.jpg
Nov 25, 2013 12:33 PM

Apr 2010
Up till the last few scenes i was thinking that this was the worst episode of any Keys adaption i have seen so far but when Masato got defeated it made a big turn around.
And the episode redeemed itself it still wasn't a very good episode tho.
I have to say that last few scenes where nicely done and i liked the childhood part as well i do hope next week is better tho.
Nov 25, 2013 8:09 PM

Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:
I dunno.
I wonder if people are expecting After Story episode 18 tears every episode.

I only found 3 moments in Clannad that were even worth tearing up for,
I wouldn't tear up to any of the heroine routes if I rewatched them. People should treat Little Busters the same and consider most of the show to be buildup, similar to Clannad's buildup, because I didn't tear up over those little episodic Clannad arcs with random tragedy and events happening.

And in the end, all the LB routes have an in-story explanation for happening, along with insight on all the other events that happened. Still, I don't know if it'll carry it, and this show probably requires a lot of thinking, but people haven't gotten to like the characters involved.

speak brother. This is how I feel. It's not that sad enough to cry over the little routes.

Mod Edit spoiler put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongNov 27, 2013 8:51 AM
Nov 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Sep 2012
I think it is one of the best episodes in LB! Refrain so far (though I like the Kurugaya ones even better). It is not rushed and I think it provides a lot of cross-references to past episodes and show how everything is linked together.

So I was right in making the call last week that the remaining episodes will be for Riki to emulate Kyousuke and re-forming Little Busters, although I may have underestimated how easy to get Masato to join.

So it seems that with Kyousuke out, Masato (and probably Kengo too) will test Riki in various ways and at the same time face their own personal demon. And once these two are in, the biggest task will be to get Kyousuke to face his own personal demon and get back to himself. And by doing so Riki will prove he can stand on his own as well as help people around him and make friends out of them.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 26, 2013 7:28 AM

Apr 2013
Good episode overall, although I question some BGM placements; It's good to see THAT soundtrack finally... =3

"Song for Friends" in the end is a nice touch...

"MIRAI ZURA!

MIRAI ZURA YO, RUBY-CHAN!"

-Hanamaru Kunikida
Nov 26, 2013 5:43 PM

Nov 2012
"I'm the strongest!"

"What would Kyousuke do?" NO!What would Riki do.Really starting to dislike that Riki is just following what Kyousuke did.

Riki's fighting move were funny to see tbh.Couldn't really take the fight serious(until the last elbow hit).

Young Kyousuke vs young Masato was entertaining.He finally got a friend.

So Masato disappearing now?Kengo episode next.
Nov 27, 2013 8:48 AM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned

VN discussion with no relevance to the current anime episode removed. Spoiler removed. Quote of deleted posts removed.
Nov 27, 2013 10:42 AM

Mar 2012
much better than previous 2 episodes; really loved this episode; no idea what some people are complaining about. JC Staff really did a great job stuffing everything in that 1 episode they got from WB to do Masato's route.

now wonder how they are going to do Kengo's episode in 20 minutes. But we have four episodes for Kyousuke's route the "secret of the world" part so unless they decide to do something retarded like muscle sensation; I have faith the last part will be really great!
Nov 27, 2013 5:11 PM

Aug 2013
Khalan3 said:
much better than previous 2 episodes; really loved this episode; no idea what some people are complaining about. JC Staff really did a great job stuffing everything in that 1 episode they got from WB to do Masato's route.

now wonder how they are going to do Kengo's episode in 20 minutes. But we have four episodes for Kyousuke's route the "secret of the world" part so unless they decide to do something retarded like muscle sensation; I have faith the last part will be really great!
Most of the episode was great, but the music they used didn't sound right... There was an ost in the VN that sounded better for masato's route
Nov 27, 2013 10:46 PM
Nov 2013
With more effort and execution, I feel this episode could have been done better. I still have my doubts on JC Staff's handling with the series. I feel for the VN readers.
Nov 28, 2013 9:04 AM

Sep 2012
5chan said:
With more effort and execution, I feel this episode could have been done better. I still have my doubts on JC Staff's handling with the series. I feel for the VN readers.

Praise the heavens! An anime-only watcher who understands rather than mindlessly complains.
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating that they'd attempt Little Busters without bringing their all to the anime series.
Nov 28, 2013 5:26 PM

Aug 2013
5chan said:
I'm so happy people like this exist in the MAL forums
Nov 29, 2013 4:48 AM

Jan 2012
I don't know why, but I got some feels there...
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
Apr 19, 12:46 PM

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.