Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2013 11:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Iona <3, so adorable.

Shame that dinner got interrupted. Who the hell do those soldiers think they are?
Dem faces. Takao was pretty intense this episode. I didn't think she would be happy about her fight last time.

Oct 21, 2013 3:12 PM

Apr 2011
So Gunzou will fight Haruna and Kirishima on his own? No plan no back-up. Very different from original manga. He will need dose of Gary Stue vitamins get through this battle.

But CG was quite nice. And I just love Yokosuka port fortress.
Oct 21, 2013 3:48 PM

Apr 2008
Tenzen12 said:
So Gunzou will fight Haruna and Kirishima on his own? No plan no back-up. Very different from original manga. He will need dose of Gary Stue vitamins get through this battle.

But CG was quite nice. And I just love Yokosuka port fortress.

Not just that they cut out a whole ton of scenes.
Oct 21, 2013 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
Now lets get worried about Yamato

Supreme Battleship of the Fog, are you going to let that English girl do that to you ?
She stole your lines
nseikaOct 21, 2013 5:49 PM
Oct 21, 2013 4:39 PM
Nov 2012
Havn't watch it yet, well not fully of course but I am having toruble with my downloader and most of the videos on the websites I watch....The Subs are off, anyone experiencing this?
Oct 21, 2013 5:23 PM
Nov 2012
Ehhh....most of the videos online are screwd up with badly off-course subtitles and missing video frames(the op and after the mid episode break).

But as far as my first impression on a episode that I can barely understand, it looks awesome. Most of those CG stiffness are now much more natural(not 2D standards thou) and the background detail (the port fortress)and movement plus I-401 transformation are gorgeous...in CG. Couple with some comedy relieve (oh Takao, Takao) this episode is a brilliant showcase of CG. So If there is still any CG-atheist out there that still have problems with it, ermmmm, well theres no point convincing.

Plot wise , the political scene are finally coming in, with the oh-so-natural Navy-Army rivalry.I have to say there are few points thrat deviates from the manga, and now that the two Kongou-class battleship have arrive, where is the Hakugei JMSDF super-sub? where are the crew? and where's the supreme flagship of the Fog, the mighty battleship Yamato?(she was seen in the op of the 1st ep. Overall now that I have more faith in the animation, the storyline may worry me more. Now can somebody put up a non-screw up episode online please?

My Submarine can''t be this cute.
Oct 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Apr 2008
Not just Hakugei, they also removed Kamikage this time. He and Uragami are supposed to fill in the information about the competing political power and show there's also adults on Gunzou's side.
no Maruri to be seen.
Oct 21, 2013 5:59 PM

Aug 2013
Takao has some crazy fantasies for being just a ship.

Iona is adorable. Another great episode, except for that cliffhanger....!
My Candies:
Oct 21, 2013 6:01 PM

Apr 2011
Yes, I see subs are off on streams. I was willing to wait for a better one, but I still want to see Takao again. lol

That old fart Kita shows up. I hate that guy.

Lots of differences from the manga, but thats expected. I just dicovered that Iona's VA is the same who voiced Miho from GuP. I imagine a robotic and stoic Miho everytime she speaks

Anyway, I'll re-watch this one a proper subs gets released. Iona is cute as always.
Oct 21, 2013 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
They actually re-aired it on crunchyroll and the subs are perfect.
My Candies:
Oct 21, 2013 6:55 PM

Feb 2013
I want to scan and inspect Iona too
Oct 21, 2013 7:39 PM

Sep 2013
Oh man Iona really catches my attention for being like an Inori-like character. How will Gunzou battle against those 2 Fog heavy cruiser?
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Oct 21, 2013 7:41 PM

Sep 2013
The way Iona acted when she was scanned was cute :p

I love how Iona lifted her shirt and she opened :p

Takao has certainly changed.

Kirishima is a babe.
Oct 21, 2013 8:00 PM

May 2013
I sense an epic battle coming up.
Oct 21, 2013 8:13 PM
Sep 2012
Liked the episode, but Takao's change of heart happened way to fast. Even SAO's harem bait at least had an episode to "realize their feelings", but Takao wasted no time in wanting Gunzou to order her around.
Oct 21, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2012
lol, highly-experienced, well-trained soldiers., and why do they have gas masks?
Takao needs a captain to steer her. . =o

Oct 21, 2013 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm maybe I shouldn't have read the manga. I was kind of disappointed with the amount of scenes and info they cut but this is still a good episode. But still, if I didn't read it, I'd probably interpret that Takao fantasy scene as something else. No ship harem and I hope it stays that way.

Gunzou calmly burning that old dude. I kind of felt sorry for him in that scene haha.

"You will get hurt if you move. It will probably hurt a lot." Huge understatement xD!!!
xcheeOct 21, 2013 8:48 PM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 21, 2013 9:05 PM
Oct 2012
This was one of those episodes that could have sunk an otherwise promising show, instead it transcended it (yes the pun was intended).

Properly handling the emotions at the cemetery could have been hackneyed, but by having the MC answer Iona's questions honestly was perfect. We had the expected betrayal by the government, but neither side acted like idiots, so good there. The discussion between the other two fog warshps was also both interesting and suggestive for the future. And most importantly Takao's defection could have been overdone, but her comedic reaction to the book and then the reaction of 400 and 402 were both great and boded well for future episodes, she didn't overreact to knowing that 401 was under attack, but acted in character, namely she expects him to win because she gets the bigger picture.

I have to say that a week or so into this cour while I had a couple of shows I thought were entertaining, I didn't think that any show would prove to be that exciting. This week proved me wrong, 4 shows (this, Galileo, Gintsune and Yowamushi) all stepped up big time, showing that they have the chops to maintain through the season. All of these may flop from here on out, but for now I have 4 shows to look forward to, and for that I am grateful.
Oct 21, 2013 9:14 PM

Mar 2013
Saburo-kun said:
lol, highly-experienced, well-trained soldiers., and why do they have gas masks?

Why wouldn't they have gas masks?
Oct 21, 2013 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
i really hope takao becomes apart of gunzous fleet
Hate Keeps me warm
Oct 22, 2013 12:00 AM

Jul 2012
It'd be interesting if Gunzou gets a fleet of Fog himself to combat the Fleet of Fog.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Oct 22, 2013 1:01 AM

Apr 2011
Entravity said:
It'd be interesting if Gunzou gets a fleet of Fog himself to combat the Fleet of Fog.

Well you'll see. He's gonna need every firepower he can get since he'll be fighting both humans and fog in his journey.
Oct 22, 2013 1:12 AM

Jan 2011
Did this episode just confirm Gunzou Fleet harem of fogs? sure as hell feels that way lol.
Oct 22, 2013 1:31 AM

Aug 2008
Hmm. I still prefer Iona. Is not always about the boobs. She's cutest by far from the cast introduced so far.

fst said:
Saburo-kun said:

'Cuz the henchmen that quickly get dispatched tend to have them.
Oct 22, 2013 1:32 AM

Apr 2009
The Yokosuka barrier was impressive but impractical, if the Fog (adandoning Admirality Code) decides to lift the naval blockade and do what amounts to a naval siege via long range naval artillery barrage, coastal bombardment, etc. that mighty seawall might as well be paper thin.

I assume those two attacking battleships will be next to convert/defect to Gonzou's side. Wonder where's this special place Takao will be waiting for Gonzou is?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 22, 2013 1:53 AM

Apr 2011
katsu044 said:
Did this episode just confirm Gunzou Fleet harem of fogs? sure as hell feels that way lol.

Not realy, there is nothing particulary romantic between him and Iona so far, so Takao is only ship around with "maiden plug-in"
Oct 22, 2013 2:08 AM

Apr 2008
tofei said:
The Yokosuka barrier was impressive but impractical, if the Fog (adandoning Admirality Code) decides to lift the naval blockade and do what amounts to a naval siege via long range naval artillery barrage, coastal bombardment, etc. that mighty seawall might as well be paper thin.
Like the peoples in Pacific Rim, they read Shingeki and thought building wall is a good idea :P

And while absurd, it would be interesting to imagine how the Fog would react if human starts getting desperate and go "lets flatten our mountains and bury the sea"
After all, the Fog don't attack land except for returning fire :D

tofei said:
I assume those two attacking battleships will be next to convert/defect to Gonzou's side.

Since they featured Haruna and Haruna in the ending card
I wonder what episode will feature two Kongou drinking tea together

extra: pink sugar cube ?
nseikaOct 22, 2013 2:15 AM
Oct 22, 2013 3:43 AM

Aug 2008
I just skimmed over the beginning of the manga and they sure changed a lot of things. At first I was lost that maybe chapters were out of order but apparently anime is screwing around quite hard. Sure, they added some nice scenes and improved Iona's character design, but at the same time a lot of material got left out or swapped around. And I thought terrible CG was the only major flaw of this show...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 22, 2013 3:48 AM

Nov 2011
Iona showing her belly. Well, the ship's belly. Nomnomnom.
Oct 22, 2013 5:50 AM

Apr 2011
The battle next episode will be epic. I hope they don't screw this up.
Oct 22, 2013 6:07 AM

Dec 2011
error message: "I HAVE CONTROL"
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 22, 2013 6:42 AM

Nov 2010
The docking part was impressive
It was a nice detail about the headgear for preventing allergies

Takao! She's such a hottie!
Oct 22, 2013 7:19 AM

Apr 2010
So 400 and 402 made there appearance and the are pretty much just as stoic as Iori and wise enough not to engage Takao.
And finally Takao in delusional mode which is funny to watch even when it was interrupted by Iori's lookalikes.
And next week should be nice.

The plot is also starting to show with some interesting figures appearing and Chihaya showing his character a bit more.
Oct 22, 2013 7:49 AM
Nov 2012
FINALLY, got to watch some proper subbing after one full day. Well the I still have to say a major flaw is where is the Supreme Flagship of the fog? YAMATO! and the Supreme flagship of humankind(I think) the Hakugei. Yamato should appear about when Maya and Kongou were having that tea ceremony and Hakugei's crew about when I-401 enters Yokosuka. Oh well great episode is great, and we get to see some improvement in the CG department, it now looks more natural than previous episode.

I love the Heavy Cruiser sister, Maya (that's waaaay too much sugar in the tea) and Takao(come on, who dosen't like her, and Heavy Cruiser bursting from the sea FTW!). Overall this episode sums up all thaat is great about Ars Nova, but since I have read the manga, I know how pivotal the Yamatos(Yamato and Musashi) is over the plot, so this part really worries me. All in all, great episode.

10/10

Aversa said:
So 400 and 402 made there appearance and the are pretty much just as stoic as Iori and wise enough not to engage Takao.
And finally Takao in delusional mode which is funny to watch even when it was interrupted by Iori's lookalikes.
And next week should be nice.

Iori is the I-401 engine mechanic , I think you meant Iona. And yeah, next week we get to see Kongou's sisters in action.
Oct 22, 2013 9:57 AM
May 2013
I must say I dislike this anime from this ep
I just hope to see Maruri and Hakugei submarine class
And WTF i got ???? A original plot with hyperion I-401 VS all Fleet of Fog
and makie ?
WTF ? "journey of freedom" ? Where da fuq your grandfather ?
this is sure not good, not good at all
Fhantom_chaosOct 22, 2013 10:25 AM
Oct 22, 2013 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
OH my, Takao i knew that scene was coming but still seeing animated it's so cute and Hilarius.

Hmm I have noticed a pattern with the cgi of each of the characters when each new character is introduced they all start out like there too stiff but afterward they get more realistic improvement and better emotion capture, i hope i am not the only one seeing it

My biggest concern tough since i read the manga between ep 2 and 3 is that they didnost include the Hakugei submarine but i have this gut feeling that it will be introduced in the next ep which i hope they do. afterall i do not see how 401 could possibly defeat those 2 battleships without it.

Still this is good episode and the series is still great in my opinion at least
Oct 22, 2013 12:20 PM
Jan 2011
Wuuu, I didn't know Iona was that advance, able to tell who the little loli who she is by looking at her.

Since when did a Takao battle ship become a submarine?

I'm guessing Takao will come to Gonzo'z aide.
Oct 22, 2013 12:52 PM

Apr 2012
Those ships in CG...they're so beautiful.

I wonder, where Takao got the Magazine from? Was it from an abandoned store in some abandoned city? Because while the mental representation of the ships look human, it would be impossible for 'Takao' to sneak into a populated area.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Oct 22, 2013 1:17 PM
Oct 2010
Aloxamax said:

I wonder, where Takao got the Magazine from? Was it from an abandoned store in some abandoned city? Because while the mental representation of the ships look human, it would be impossible for 'Takao' to sneak into a populated area.

They show her coming out of a convenience store, with a clerk talking in the background, so there is your answer. How she managed it is another question though. :)
Oct 22, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2013
Iona was so adorable this episode! Also, I didn't expect Takao to have a change of heart so quickly, but I can't wait to see how she confronts Gunzou.

I am starting to get used to the graphics and the movement of the characters. The colors they add to all the ships is also brilliant.
Oct 22, 2013 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
This series has so far been pretty well-orchestrated. The story combat has been a thrill to watch, not just some run-of-the-mill nonsense. The interaction between Gunzou and Iona has also been quite charming. I'm really enjoying this. Too bad I think this series is going to end up as one of those overlooked gems...

Specifically on Takao, the change of mind seems to have come very suddenly. But it does pave the way for other members of the Fog fleet to join Gunzou's side, which is nice because it'd be kind of boring for Iona to be the only vessel Gunzou can command, not to mention unrealistic.
Oct 22, 2013 3:22 PM

May 2011
I watched it today because of yesterday's subs problem. I enjoy this show as hell ^^ I've been reading a manga for quite a long time and I still enjoyed this. And after watching this in HD I must say it's one of the prettiest shows ever made. Honestly I can't imagine this with normal graphic. CG is perfect like it was invented for this show :p Much better than in for example Tokyo Ravens (nothing wrong with them, this is just better) It's good that manga has been licensed :)

And BTW I want Iona to show me her belly <3
Oct 22, 2013 3:27 PM
Oct 2012
tezann_t said:
This series has so far been pretty well-orchestrated. The story combat has been a thrill to watch, not just some run-of-the-mill nonsense. The interaction between Gunzou and Iona has also been quite charming. I'm really enjoying this. Too bad I think this series is going to end up as one of those overlooked gems...

Specifically on Takao, the change of mind seems to have come very suddenly. But it does pave the way for other members of the Fog fleet to join Gunzou's side, which is nice because it'd be kind of boring for Iona to be the only vessel Gunzou can command, not to mention unrealistic.

On Takao. I would agree that it would be fast if she had a human personality, but remember that the mental modes aren't human. They don't have that much in the way of emotions: all they have is their "we are weapon" approach and a desire, similar to a weapon, to do away with the enemy as efficiently as possible. So three observations:

1) Emotionally they are children, so like children they can change their emotions on a pin drop.
2) Takao's change is also related to her belief in being a weapon. She lost, not only did she lose, but she lost when she had the overwhelming advantage. She realized that ship to ship it wasn't a contest, she should have won, but something blunted her as a weapon, and that was 401's captain. She now wants a Captain because she thinks it would both sharpen and polish her as a weapon.
3) Finally, the show has made several references that the mental modes have spent too much time in human form, and this was causing some issues: so on top of Takao having the emotions of a child, the excitement of possibly being perfected as a weapon, she also has teenage hormones running through her system. And on top of that don't forget that for a Ship, failure is death. Takao failed, but Gunzou saved her life as romantically as Tarzan rescuing Jane. No wonder she swooned.
Oct 22, 2013 3:30 PM

Apr 2008
There are time between her defeat and being found in Hokkaido too. She had time to do other things.
-ShadowClaw- said:
My biggest concern tough since i read the manga between ep 2 and 3 is that they didnost include the Hakugei submarine but i have this gut feeling that it will be introduced in the next ep which i hope they do. afterall i do not see how 401 could possibly defeat those 2 battleships without it.
But Iona doesn't pay.
Maybe the staff want flashy graviton cannon vs graviton cannon scene
nseikaOct 22, 2013 3:43 PM
Oct 22, 2013 3:42 PM
Nov 2010
The more interesting aspects are the interactions between Fog members showing them as alien to humans.
Oct 22, 2013 5:15 PM

Jul 2010
I want Takao to be part of Gunzou's fleet.
Btw, this episode was quite nice, I'm starting to like this show. I just hope next episode Gunzou will pull off some smart moves like the previous episode VS Takao.
Because now it's 2v1.

fst said:
Saburo-kun said:

Gas masks are cool.
Oct 22, 2013 5:34 PM

Sep 2008
Haha, awesome episode, also liked the humour of it:

"Iona, can you show us your belly?"

or

kuuderes_shadow said:
error message: "I HAVE CONTROL"

haha xD
and like i mentioned before in the ep2-thread, dat battleship-harem :P

I'm even more curious now how the story will go on, can't wait for episode 4 to come out!
KarinyiaOct 22, 2013 5:40 PM
Oct 22, 2013 6:04 PM

Aug 2013
Man, the way Takao was talking, you'd think SHE was the sub...
Oct 22, 2013 6:38 PM

Jul 2012
No Maruri... No Hakugei... It's blasphemy! BLASPHEMY I TELL YOOOOOU!!! And if the producers do go all anime original and instead of Gunzou nearly destroying those fog ships (mental models and all) they make them go dere and this show turns into a ship harem (the manga did not feature any such thing). SACRILEGE!!! Okay I'll shut up now...
Oct 22, 2013 8:43 PM

Nov 2009
two fog battleships incoming
can't wait for the next ep
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.