Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 18, 2013 12:31 PM

Oct 2009
I became a Vegan shortly after turning 15. I stayed Vegan until around 18, where I turned Vegetarian. About 6 months ago I stopped and started eating meat and drinking milk. I'm turning 21 in 2 months.

At 15 I was 5'7
6 months ago I was 5'8
I'm 5'10 and half now.

It's no coincidence that the minute I stopped Vegetarianism I had a 2 and half inch growth spurt in half a year. I can't pin this on anything else either.

What do you guys think of this? Is there evidence linking Vegetarianism to growth stunts? Can I still grow a lot, even though I'm not a teenager anymore?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2013 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
How awesome was it to eat meat again after so long?
Sep 18, 2013 12:32 PM

Oct 2009
TheAsap said:
How awesome did it feel to eat meat again after that long?

Pretty much the best feeling ever.

Sep 18, 2013 12:35 PM
Aug 2013
It really depends on what you were actually putting in your mouth-hole. If you simply crossed out protein in your diet, then yeah, there will be problems.
Sep 18, 2013 12:35 PM

Nov 2008
It stunts growth in babies and young children but older children and adults not so much, but you were missing out on complex amino acids and complete proteins.

Sep 18, 2013 12:36 PM

Oct 2009
agaffe said:
It really depends on what you were actually putting in your mouth-hole. If you simply crossed out protein in your diet, then yeah, there will be problems.

I made sure to eat lots of protein, like beans and dark green leafy vegetables.

Sep 18, 2013 12:37 PM

Feb 2013
I'll never understand how people can give up meat.

I mean...look at this...it's so good, I couldn't post just one, so I posted the entire search.

http://tinyurl.com/m2prrhw

But seriously, going from animal to plant....plants have feelings too, y'know...
NTADSep 18, 2013 1:25 PM
Sep 18, 2013 12:38 PM
Aug 2013
Either way, growth is a tricky subject. If I recall correctly, a lot of males will grow until they are around 25.
Sep 18, 2013 12:41 PM

Nov 2012
I've heard studies show that your brain size can actually be reduced as a result of a vegetarian diet, but I haven't heard about your entire body size.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 18, 2013 12:45 PM

Sep 2012
Good thing you recovered your sanity and came back to the winners team.
Sep 18, 2013 1:23 PM

Aug 2013
It's a possible chance it may stunt the growth for children, but for teens and adults, it probably won't.
Eating meat doesn't really effect your growth. It should be the opposite. You need your veggies.
However, I'm sure the milk you had may have played a role. That, or it was all a big coincidence.

But whatever all that, eat all the burgers you can.
Sep 18, 2013 1:52 PM

Apr 2011
I'm kind of relieved it isn't a lupadim thread.

OT: I wouldn't say so, but that's just a guess...
Sep 18, 2013 2:27 PM

Apr 2013
Its called puberty.
Sep 18, 2013 2:40 PM

Dec 2009
Not sure, therefore, anyone who is actively growing or pregnant will not be recommended to be strictly vegan.
Sep 18, 2013 2:44 PM

Jun 2007
I think it's hilarious that there are males past the age of 16 who are shorter than 6 feet.
Sep 18, 2013 2:52 PM

Sep 2012
"Meat is justice!"
Sep 18, 2013 2:57 PM

Apr 2013
We didn't make it to the top of the food chain being vegetarian that's for sure
Sep 18, 2013 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
I think it's hilarious that there are males past the age of 16 who are shorter than 6 feet.
ikr? beta as phuck
Sep 18, 2013 3:14 PM

Nov 2008
I've always been really small so I doubt it.
People mistake me for a little girl all the time.
Sep 18, 2013 3:16 PM

Jul 2012
all the nutrition's you don't get in meat exist in other foods.

Like beans, soy, almonds, and fruit sometimes you have to eat more though.
Sep 18, 2013 3:21 PM

Nov 2008
I remember my biology teacher mentioned something about eating red meat, especially meat that were fed with growth hormone feeds and whatnot will make you grow as well when you ingest them. So I guess it is understandable for not growing as much for a vegetarian....

TallonKarrde23 said:
This makes me sad :(

Well, at least I'm fit. Not fat. xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Sep 18, 2013 3:26 PM

Jul 2012
some men have late growth spurts

they go to college looking like weak little nerds and come home filled out and tall
i've seen it quite a few times

i've never been a vegan but i've been vegetarian most my life. i'm a chick, so i can't attest to its affects on the opposite sex, but i'm healthy and 5'7" so i don't know.. i guess its all good
Sep 18, 2013 3:46 PM
Sep 2013
I don't think it stunts growth. If you weren't getting the required nutrients then, yeah, obviously it won't be as effective as eating meat(if you were getting a sufficient amount at the time). But just being a vegan or vegetarian doesn't automatically stunt your growth. It's either a coincidence or you weren't getting the right amount of nutrients when you were a vegan and vegetarian.

Another possibility is that you were never a vegetarian or a vegan and this thread is just a conspiracy to influence people to not become vegans/vegetarians thus using their money to support the meat industry. Therefore, the meat industry grows and you can get more and more of it.

Seriously though. Why did you decide to go vegan, then vegetarian, then go back to eating meat? Was it a failed moral decision?

lucjan said:
TheAsap said:
How awesome did it feel to eat meat again after that long?

Pretty much the best feeling ever.
...What???
LoneWolfRainSep 18, 2013 6:28 PM
Sep 18, 2013 3:54 PM

May 2013
jsg said:
We didn't make it to the top of the food chain being vegetarian that's for sure

^

and *applause* for staying vegan for that long (even though plenty of other people have managed that too).
Sep 18, 2013 4:01 PM

Jun 2012
I don't know if it can. I'll never attempt being a vegetarian, I like steak and bacon too much.
Sep 18, 2013 5:01 PM

Dec 2009
Ntad said:
I'll never understand how people can give up meat.

I mean...look at this...it's so good, I couldn't post just one, so I posted the entire search.

http://tinyurl.com/m2prrhw

http://s22.postimg.org/bzd2rv4r5/borfin.gif

MiniSiets said:
I've heard studies show that your brain size can actually be reduced as a result of a vegetarian diet

You can find studies that show absolutely anything. They are meaningless.
Sep 18, 2013 5:36 PM

Aug 2012
Reminds me of someone who went on a juice fast.

Their reunion with meat was a sight to behold.
Sep 18, 2013 5:48 PM

Feb 2013
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all of their food? :(
Sep 18, 2013 5:53 PM

Aug 2012
Eden2307 said:
Why... not?

Ho ho.
Sep 18, 2013 5:56 PM

Feb 2013
MellowJello said:
Eden2307 said:
Why... not?

Ho ho.
I never thought about it that way.
Sep 18, 2013 6:01 PM
I Hate My Son

Dec 2011
Are vegans allowed to smoke weed?
Sep 18, 2013 6:04 PM

Sep 2013
im 5`11 and ive been vegan since i was 16

( i just dont like meat)

or i dont remember whats the name for the people that only eats veggies and fishes, i am that

Sep 18, 2013 6:13 PM

Jun 2013
OP, the only important thing is that your pee pee grows.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 18, 2013 6:14 PM

Mar 2011
Eden2307 said:

I am going to answer that as if it was serious, because I cannot help myself.

They don't eat all of their food. There's a lot of vegetation in the world. Also, since they don't eat meat they can't steal food from the carnivorous animals can they?

Or Mellow's answer suffices.
Sep 18, 2013 6:16 PM

Jun 2013
Eden2307 said:

I forgive you for saying stupid things.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 18, 2013 6:31 PM

Feb 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
I am going to answer that as if it was serious, because I cannot help myself.

They don't eat all of their food. There's a lot of vegetation in the world. Also, since they don't eat meat they can't steal food from the carnivorous animals can they?

Or Mellow's answer suffices.
Just to clear up any confusion, I wasn't actually serious.

Maria_Sama said:
I forgive you for saying stupid things.
Spank you.
Sep 18, 2013 6:47 PM

Oct 2012
i dont think being a vegetarian affects growth im 16 and only 5'3 but i dont eat red meat that much i just eat rice most of the time
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 19, 2013 12:14 PM
Sep 2013
No it can't.

Malnutrition can.

Okazaki93 said:
Are vegans allowed to smoke weed?

Absolutely. They're allowed to use any drug.

militrix said:
im 5`11 and ive been vegan since i was 16

( i just dont like meat)

or i dont remember whats the name for the people that only eats veggies and fishes, i am that

Pescatarian. The definitions are not that confusing. Vegans don't eat or use any animal products, including dairy/eggs. A lot of people who just follow the diet alone don't want to be associated with "veganism" for various reasons too.
Sep 19, 2013 12:22 PM

Sep 2011
Too often you hear these stories about children who died of malnutrition because their parents wanted to put them on some alternative diet while they were still babies.

I can understand eating little to no meat because of health reasons, or the fact that you just don't like it. But I consider people who avoid eating meat out of ethical reasons, to be a shame to our species.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Sep 19, 2013 12:32 PM
Sep 2013
WhiteQueen said:
But I consider people who avoid eating meat out of ethical reasons, to be a shame to our species.

Why?
Sep 19, 2013 12:57 PM

Sep 2011
rm00 said:
WhiteQueen said:
But I consider people who avoid eating meat out of ethical reasons, to be a shame to our species.

Why?

Because from an evolutionary point of view, people who care more about the well being of random animals than themselves or their own species, are flawed.

Sep 19, 2013 2:00 PM

Dec 2012
Jauregui said:
Good thing you recovered your sanity and came back to the winners team.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 19, 2013 3:14 PM

Sep 2011
paean said:
Flawed is the assumption that whatever constituted a healthy caveman diet is perfectly applicable to someone living in a first world country in 2013.

Where did I make that assertion? Quote me.

Sep 19, 2013 3:30 PM

Sep 2011
paean said:
I assumed your argument refers to what carnivory contributed to the human evolution.

Man has always been in a struggle against nature, and the subjugation of, triumph over, and the humiliation of nature is an imperative of progressive thought.

I mentioned that if you don't eat a lot of meat for simple health reasons, then that's different. You're still putting the needs of humanity, and individuals first.

Sep 19, 2013 4:28 PM
Sep 2013
WhiteQueen said:
Too often you hear these stories about children who died of malnutrition because their parents wanted to put them on some alternative diet while they were still babies.
Happens too often? I've never heard a story about children who died of malnutrition because their parents were vegans. I just googled it and there has been a case on it but the judge even described it as "a most unusual and tragic case, perhaps even unique," so that's proof that it rarely happens. And when it does happen, it's more of the parents fault than the simple fact that they're vegans.

WhiteQueen said:
I consider people who avoid eating meat out of ethical reasons, to be a shame to our species.
People don't avoid eating meat "out of ethical reasons." That doesn't make any sense. It not an ethical decision to become a vegan, it's either a moral decision, health related issue, or merely a choice of personal taste.

Do you have any scientific proof that veganism negatively effects the human species? Because I have plenty of evidence that show the contrary. A shame to our species? Don't make me laugh.
Sep 19, 2013 4:34 PM

Sep 2011
LoneWolfRain said:
WhiteQueen said:
Happens too often? I've never heard a story about children who died of malnutrition because their parents were vegans. I just googled it and there has been a case on it but the judge even described it as "a most unusual and tragic case, perhaps even unique," so that's proof that it rarely happens. And when it does happen, it's more of the parents fault than the simple fact that they're vegans.

Did I ever say that it was common? No, so don't be upset.

LoneWolfRain said:
People don't avoid eating meat "out of ethical reasons." That doesn't make any sense. It not an ethical decision to become a vegan, it's either a moral decision, health related issue, or simple choice of personal taste.

Moral/ethical reasons, whatever you want to call it, you knew exactly what I meant by that.

I mentioned those other reasons in my other post, which I don't know if you even bothered to read.
LoneWolfRain said:
Do you have any scientific proof that veganism negatively effects the human species? Because I have plenty of evidence that show the contrary. A shame to our species? Don't make me laugh.

Oh, you're a vegan? That's even worse. I explained why in my other post.

LoneWolfRain said:
How are vegans or vegetarians caring more about the well being of "random animals???

Aren't vegetarians/vegans often more concerned about the well being of animals?

Or should I have called them something other than random? Seeing as you put that in quotation marks.

Sep 19, 2013 4:36 PM

Oct 2009
Being a vegan/vegetarian could stunt growth if the improper nutrition is there...but considerable nutritional planning has to be done especially if there is even no milk/egg in the iet.

WhiteQueen said:
rm00 said:
WhiteQueen said:

Why?

Because from an evolutionary point of view, people who care more about the well being of random animals than themselves or their own species, are flawed.

Is being a vegan/vegetarian necessarily mean that you care more about well being of random animals than you do about yourself/humanity?

One can still be a vegetarian/vegan, and still care more about oneself and/or humanity than he does random animal species - being a vegan/vegetarian doesnt necessarily compromise the well-being of na individual
Sep 19, 2013 4:46 PM

Sep 2011
RandomChampion said:

Is being a vegan/vegetarian necessarily mean that you care more about well being of random animals than you do about yourself/humanity?

If the reasons are because they perceive it as immoral, and not because of your own well being, then yes. Of course there's sometimes a placebo effect of not eating meat; which I suppose is an upside. Still, it's the mentality that's wrong.

RandomChampion said:
One can still be a vegetarian/vegan, and still care more about oneself and/or humanity than he does random animal species - being a vegan/vegetarian doesnt necessarily compromise the well-being of na individual

Did you even read my post? I did not contradict what you just said, as I was speaking with a certain group in mind.

Vegetarianism/veganism is often part of a trend that is coupled with other ideas like ecocentrism, that are all centered around the same way of thinking. I explained in another post how I don't approve of this.

Sep 19, 2013 5:14 PM

Oct 2009
whitequeen said:
If the reasons are because they perceive it as immoral, and not because of your own well being, then yes. Of course there's sometimes a placebo effect of not eating meat; which I suppose is an upside. Still, it's the mentality that's wrong.

How is that necessarily the wrong mentality when, nowadays, eating meat is no longer (practically) necessary to get proper nourishment?

Unless youre only referring to ecocentrists/ those who will always condemn eating meat and who, under no circumstances, will never eat meat for the reason that they don’t want to harm animals?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

20 by Starfallash »»
2 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

31 by cody »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

16 by traed »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.