Forum Settings
Forums

Is KyoAni the primary reason Key Anime are good?

New
Sep 10, 2013 5:58 AM
Jul 2013
From what I remember, let's base this.

Air (Original): Either seen as one of Key's best anime, or as mediocre garbage. The latter is the common opinion.
Kanon 2002: Universally panned.
Kanon 2006 (Rebooted by KyoAni): Critically acclaimed.
Clannad: Acclaimed harem, one of the most popular for the time. Also by KyoAni.
Clannad After Story: KyoAni's greatest work of all time, and the stepping stone to Key's anime reaching their full potential.
Angel Beats: Story conceived by Jun Maeda...handed to P.A Works for some reason. Awful. AWFUL. All the vast potential wasted.
Little Busters: It is one of Key's best visual novels right? Just give it to KyoAni! J.C Staff...? And what culminated was what is believed to be one of their worst VN to Anime adaptions to date.
Little Busters Refrain: Anyone looking forward to this? It's still in the hands of the dreaded J.C Staff.

See where I'm coming from? Discuss your opinions.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 10, 2013 6:03 AM
May 2012
No. J.C Staff made Little Busters better, i'm sure Kyoani version would have been horrible.
Sep 10, 2013 6:06 AM
Jul 2013
Aerostar said:
No. J.C Staff made Little Busters better, i'm sure Kyoani version would have been horrible.

Not true. Little Busters average score on all boards is a 7. That's an all-time low for Key anime.
Sep 10, 2013 6:09 AM
May 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:

Not true. Little Busters average score on all boards is a 7. That's an all-time low for Key anime.

I scored it a 10. it was awesome. maybe some people hate on it, just because they hate that J.C Staff made it.
Sep 10, 2013 6:14 AM
Jul 2013
Aerostar said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:

I scored it a 10. it was awesome. maybe some people hate on it, just because they hate that J.C Staff made it.

It's not ''some.'' Now, it's not Little Busters that is the big concern really, it's Refrain being in their hands. Clannad by itself was little more than an standard harem with nice characters, but was pushed to masterpiece status by it's sequel series. If they mess this up, no one will forgive them.
Sep 10, 2013 6:18 AM
May 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:

It's not ''some.'' Now, it's not Little Busters that is the big concern really, it's Refrain being in their hands. Clannad by itself was little more than an standard harem with nice characters, but was pushed to masterpiece status by it's sequel series. If they mess this up, no one will forgive them.

I see. i hope they don't mess it up then. it could be awesome.
Sep 10, 2013 6:22 AM

Mar 2012
Aerostar said:

This
LB Refrain will be awesome, just like the first season.

KyoAni sucks;
Not that Clannad and Kanon where bad anime; but they weren't very good adaptions either. In both cases the ending made no sense and Clannad AS was for a big part boring slice of life.
Sep 10, 2013 7:01 AM

Feb 2010
key is overrated in my opinion. Clannad (season 1) looked better than Little Busters visually, but the drama arcs were just as forced most of the time. I think for me it's not realyl important who animates it, the way key thinks of drama and emotion just doesn't work for me most of the time. Clannad AS had some very good moments though so I'm looking forward to Refrain even though I liked the first season a little less than Clannad S1.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 10, 2013 7:25 AM

Apr 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
the way key thinks of drama and emotion just doesn't work for me most of the time.

You imply the Key staff actually thinks about their horrible drama for preteens.
anyway, the execution matters and not the studio. Haven't seen much from LB, but it did look alright from that standpoint.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 10, 2013 7:49 AM

Jun 2008
But Key stuff ain't good. This thread makes no sense.
Sep 10, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2008
Well since people don't like Little Busters nearly as much as any of the other Key anime. Maybe.
Sep 10, 2013 8:02 AM
Jul 2013
2-D said:
Well since people don't like Little Busters nearly as much as any of the other Key anime. Maybe.

But Refrain will be what decides it IMO. If it fails, it is proof KyoAni is the best studio for their anime, without question.

Small note: What's with the Sunohara avatars lately?
Sep 10, 2013 8:04 AM

Jul 2008
DramaEnthusiast said:

No idea. I noticed some other people had them too. Makes me feel less cool and original.
Sep 10, 2013 8:08 AM

Nov 2008
Aerostar said:

J.C. Staff made it below average. Refrain will end up the same way.

The Kyoani version would've been much better

Sep 10, 2013 8:20 AM

Sep 2011
Dunno how to answer this question since I don't like KyoAni.

But for Little Busters by JC Staff, knowing its source material as a whole, I don't like its anime adaptation. Take note that this is coming from someone who played the VN already.

I just like their works in general especially Rewrite and not because KyoAni did the anime adaptation.

Sep 10, 2013 8:22 AM

Aug 2013
That doesn't make sense. How can something KyoAni adapted make the original good? Sure, it might make it a better experience.

2-D said:
DramaEnthusiast said:

No idea. I noticed some other people had them too. Makes me feel less cool and original.
It wasn't cool and original, anyway. Sunohara's even more popular as Taiga when it comes to avatars.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 8:23 AM

Aug 2013
I'm a fan of J.C Staff, though KyoAni really brought Kanon and Clannad to life.
Clannad especially. All the Illusionary World scenes have a high quality value.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 10, 2013 8:23 AM

Jul 2008
Diranko said:
It wasn't cool and original, anyway. Sunohara's even more popular as Taiga when it comes to avatars.

Hurt my feelings. Now I have to change my avatar.
Sep 10, 2013 8:24 AM

Aug 2013
2-D said:
Diranko said:

Hurt my feelings. Now I have to change my avatar.
Go for Akio. Haven't even seen a Akio avatar.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 8:25 AM

Jul 2008
Tennouji_ said:
But for Little Busters by JC Staff, knowing its source material as a whole, I don't like its anime adaptation. Take note that this is coming from someone who played the VN already.

Could you elaborote on that a bit? I'm a huge fan of Key anime and visual novels but I've skipped over Little Busters after hearing they were making a second season. I wanted to wait till that was finished to watch it but is the anime really bad compared to the VN? If so I'd rather read the VN.
Sep 10, 2013 8:27 AM

Aug 2013
2-D said:
Tennouji_ said:

Could you elaborote on that a bit? I'm a huge fan of Key anime and visual novels but I've skipped over Little Busters after hearing they were making a second season. I wanted to wait till that was finished to watch it but is the anime really bad compared to the VN? If so I'd rather read the VN.
I have been told by multiple people that Little Busters! is Key's best VN, yet has the worst adaption. I haven't watched it, but I know I'd love it.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 8:30 AM

Sep 2011
2-D said:
Tennouji_ said:

Let's see... I'll use Haruka's route as my example(Well, when I saw how they adapted Haruka's route, I was totally pissed off).

Haruka's route in the VN is more drama-heavy than Haruka's route in the anime.

Spoilers for Haruka's route(In the VN):
TennoujiSep 10, 2013 8:39 AM

Sep 10, 2013 8:48 AM

Apr 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:

Air (Original): Either seen as one of Key's best anime, or as mediocre garbage. The latter is the common opinion.
Clannad After Story: KyoAni's greatest work of all time, and the stepping stone to Key's anime reaching their full potential.
Angel Beats: Story conceived by Jun Maeda...handed to P.A Works for some reason. Awful. AWFUL. All the vast potential wasted.
Little Busters: It is one of Key's best visual novels right? Just give it to KyoAni! J.C Staff...? And what culminated was what is believed to be one of their worst VN to Anime adaptions to date.
Little Busters Refrain: Anyone looking forward to this? It's still in the hands of the dreaded J.C Staff.

I don't want to sound like a prick or anything, but please stop making these damn KyoAni threads that are obviously only going to incite hate from the already vocal anti-moe faggots and the "Little Busters suckz!" crowds.

Anyhow, just because they were made by KyoAni doesn't mean a damn thing. Yes, they look great visually, but any competent studio could handle the adaptation just as well.

Also, I find it interesting how you're bitching at Angel Beats (how the fuck is it "just awful" when you gave it an 8?!) and Little Busters (which you're basing your opinions only on what haters have said and MAL RANKINGS, which we all know are soooo accurate) and saying that they're horrible, when there are just as many people out there who are just as much a fanboy of those shows (*cough*the infamous faggot DraconisMarch*cough*) who would argue in ways quite contrary to what you're doing, which only goes to show how this thread is not so much discussion so much as it is...a blog post flamebait?

I've played the Little Busters visual novel and, while I agree that certain things could have been handled better (as with ANY anime adaptation), the overall product was not bad by any means, and the only ones who bitch about it are either non-VN players who saw how hyped LB was and were expecting the next Clannad: After Story and VN players who, upon seeing that people didn't like their precious Key masterpiece, jumped at the helm to defend the sanctity of Little Busters by attacking the studio since there couldn't possibly be any flaws with the VN's story itself. Seriously, a criticism I hear outside of MAL often is that LB felt too slice of life-ish...you think?! That's how it's supposed to be, you dimwits.

Also, Key did have the chance to let KyoAni animate Little Busters!, but Key's own president said that they were not willing to wait for their turn in KyoAni's animation queue (since they already have a schedule of things to be produced in the future) so they went elsewhere. So instead of bitching about J.C. Staff, why don't you bitch about how your beloved Key never learned the virtue of patience as a child?

Seriously, please just stop. The only thing that tends to genuinely annoys me is anti-moe faggots spouting their filth, so please stop inviting that in here by making these silly threads that are inevitably going to bring up "KyoAni - moeblob - blah blah blah."
Diranko said:
AndyRayy said:

Also, I find it interesting how you're bitching at Angel Beats (how the fuck is is "just awful" when you gave it an 8?!)
It's not awful, but it still sucked. Not that it was bad, just that is was incredibly disappointing. So much wasted potential. I pray for a Angel Beats! VN and Anime re-make.
I'm not really arguing over the quality of it, but he calls it an awful show while giving it one of the highest scores possible on MAL. It seems a bit contradictory to his own list of the 10 or so anime he's ever seen.

EDIT: And if anyone but White Fox animates Rewrite, I will be one pissed off fan, that I will.
AndyRayySep 10, 2013 8:53 AM

Sep 10, 2013 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
AndyRayy said:

Also, I find it interesting how you're bitching at Angel Beats (how the fuck is is "just awful" when you gave it an 8?!)
It's not awful, but it still sucked. Not that it was bad, just that is was incredibly disappointing. So much wasted potential. I pray for a Angel Beats! VN and Anime re-make.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2011
AndyRayy said:

EDIT: And if anyone but White Fox animates Rewrite, I will be one pissed off fan, that I will.

But what if Ufotable decides to adapt Rewrite?

/half serious, half sarcasm

Sep 10, 2013 8:59 AM
Jul 2013
AndyRayy said:
DramaEnthusiast said:

I don't want to sound like a prick or anything, but please stop making these damn KyoAni threads that are obviously only going to incite hate from the already vocal anti-moe faggots and the "Little Busters suckz!" crowds.

Anyhow, just because they were made by KyoAni doesn't mean a damn thing. Yes, they look great visually, but any competent studio could handle the adaptation just as well.

Also, I find it interesting how you're bitching at Angel Beats (how the fuck is it "just awful" when you gave it an 8?!) and Little Busters (which you're basing your opinions only on what haters have said and MAL RANKINGS, which we all know are soooo accurate) and saying that they're horrible, when there are just as many people out there who are just as much a fanboy of those shows (*cough*the infamous faggot DraconisMarch*cough*) who would argue in ways quite contrary to what you're doing, which only goes to show how this thread is not so much discussion so much as it is...a blog post flamebait?

I've played the Little Busters visual novel and, while I agree that certain things could have been handled better (as with ANY anime adaptation), the overall product was not bad by any means, and the only ones who bitch about it are either non-VN players who saw how hyped LB was and were expecting the next Clannad: After Story and VN players who, upon seeing that people didn't like their precious Key masterpiece, jumped at the helm to defend the sanctity of Little Busters by attacking the studio since there couldn't possibly be any flaws with the VN's story itself. Seriously, a criticism I hear outside of MAL often is that LB felt too slice of life-ish...you think?! That's how it's supposed to be, you dimwits.

Also, Key did have the chance to let KyoAni animate Little Busters!, but Key's own president said that they were not willing to wait for their turn in KyoAni's animation queue (since they already have a schedule of things to be produced in the future) so they went elsewhere. So instead of bitching about J.C. Staff, why don't you bitch about how your beloved Key never learned the virtue of patience as a child?

Seriously, please just stop. The only thing that tends to genuinely annoys me is anti-moe faggots spouting their filth, so please stop inviting that in here by making these silly threads that are inevitably going to bring up "KyoAni - moeblob - blah blah blah."
Diranko said:
AndyRayy said:

I'm not really arguing over the quality of it, but he calls it an awful show while giving it one of the highest scores possible on MAL. It seems a bit contradictory to his own list of the 10 or so anime he's ever seen.

Angel Beats! is unique. It had the potential to be the best anime ever created, which is why it gets a 8 from me. That is all. The fact that they blew it so hard hurts me to think about it.
Sep 10, 2013 9:03 AM

Apr 2012
Tennouji_ said:
AndyRayy said:

But what if Ufotable decides to adapt Rewrite?

/half serious, half sarcasm
I've yet to see any of their shows, but from what I've heard and seen of them, they'd be a good choice visually.

I don't know how they'll do adaptation wise though. They only seem to have worked on a few very similar franchises so far, so I don't know how they'd handle a slice of life turned
type series, but White Fox seems to already be adept at that, having done Steins;Gate which starts off similarly with a similar twist later on.

Plus the second opening (part of which I see on your profile!) looked gorgeous and was animated by them.

Either way, as much as I love KyoAni, I don't want it to be them because Rewrite is unlike anything Key's done, and I don't know if they'd be as good at successfully adapting something so...different. At least given a sufficient budget, I'd be happy with J.C. Staff doing it as well, since they've covered a range of things that this would definitely fall under.

Sep 10, 2013 9:36 AM
Jul 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:

What?

That's an incredibly biased way to look at it. I actually didn't mind either of Angel Beats/Little Busters artwork at all. For Key works, art's the last thing I prioritize into what's good. J.C. Staff has plenty of good shows and you're just not looking carefully enough.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 10, 2013 9:38 AM

Aug 2013
Mokkan said:
DramaEnthusiast said:

What?

That's an incredibly biased way to look at it. I actually didn't mind either of Angel Beats/Little Busters artwork at all. For Key works, art's the last thing I prioritize into what's good. J.C. Staff has plenty of good shows and you're just not looking carefully enough.
You're being just as bias. Remember, opinions are always bias.

Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 9:44 AM
Jul 2013
Diranko said:
Mokkan said:
DramaEnthusiast said:

What?

How am I trolling? I'm just stating that he shouldn't be so attached to KyoAni and open up to more studios but knowing OP, he's persistent.

That being said I do like KyoAni, but not obsessed with it.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 10, 2013 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
Mokkan said:
Diranko said:
Mokkan said:
DramaEnthusiast said:

What?

How am I trolling? I'm just stating that he shouldn't be so attached to KyoAni and open up to more studios but knowing OP, he's persistent.

That being said I do like KyoAni, but not obsessed with it.
Looked like a troll post. Just ignore it.

As I said, opinions will always be bias towards something. It's like you pointed out the obvious.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 10, 2013 10:48 AM

Sep 2012
I didn't think that JC staff was the main reason I disliked Little Buster. So no, I disagree.
Sep 10, 2013 11:01 AM

Jun 2012
Kyoani's art was so ugly before. I like the moe art they have now but air tv was some scary shit.
Sep 10, 2013 11:04 AM

Apr 2012
Shuhan said:
Kyoani's art was so ugly before. I like the moe art they have now but air tv was some scary shit.
I can't disagree with you there (though I wouldn't say it was ugly, just...not as visually pleasing), but you have to remember that they adapted the art styles straight from the VN's.

The moe they do now from their original works and Hyouka is pretty much 100% proportional, not unlike lots of what many people would call "non-moe" art styles.

Sep 10, 2013 5:43 PM

Jun 2007
DramaEnthusiast said:

I'd say it's more of the louder opinion. The general ratings and opinions are fairly good outside of the die-hard moe-hater community.

It wasn't hated at the time -- it merely got displaced by the remake and the anime fandom's Inequality Fallacy ("being worse than something else makes something bad"). There was some criticism for some things omitted, but as with AIR, those are just limitations of the 13-episode format.

Some others you didn't list:
ONE: To The Shining Season (produced by KSS) -- considered slow-paced, boring, and nonsensical if you haven't played the game.
ONE: True Stories (Arms) -- One of the best emotional drama and most coherent stories in the realm of hentai.
Air the Movie (Toei) -- worse animation than the TV series, but a more focused story as it cuts out the secondary female characters.
Clannad the Movie (Toei) -- Haven't seen it myself, though I know it's considered to be not as good as the TV series.
Sep 13, 2013 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
Who cares..... All those series you named are all good in my book.... its no problem.

J.C Staff is also alright in my book.
Sep 13, 2013 4:24 AM

Feb 2012
I think you should be less of a fanboy and adopt some healthy pragmatic values into your thinking. If you don't, the one suffering in the end will be yourself.
Sep 13, 2013 5:00 AM

Jun 2013
No, you're too biased to KyoAni so shut the hell up.

JC Staff doesn't suck (Uh, hello? They made Honey and Clover, Azumanga Daioh, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Toradora!, Nodame Cantabile, Bakuman, etc.) They're better than KyoAni.

Air is mediocre. Kanon was good. Clannad was near good. (If you add the first season which is not good.). K-On! is crap (Haven't seen it fully but from the episodes I see on the TV, it's worthless)
Sep 13, 2013 6:42 AM

May 2013
Considering that 3 of those listed are hardly any good, no.
Sep 13, 2013 7:31 AM

Mar 2012
They're a lot better than Toei and JC Staff. That's for sure. Kanon 2006 is a fantastic adaptation. Clannad is a good adaptation too but they cut out some of the arcs and botched the ending pretty bad. I really wish they kept the part where Tomoya records himself rapping and tapes over Sunohara's music
Sep 13, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2010
I actually liked Little Busters! then again I probably never will play the VN due to my shit download speeds 1.17~1.30 Mb down and that isn't during congestion time. But I gave it an 8/10 cause I didn't really enjoy it much as Angel Beats plus some of the episodes were just "meh" to me. Really looking forward to October though for Refrain!

I have to say Toei is the worst when it came to the Key adaptions. KyoAni did a better job both art and plot wise for Kanon since it was 24~26 episodes for characters to develop than Toei's 12 episode version.

Angel Beats it just needed more episodes imo for characters and plot to be fleshed out more then it would have been a 10/10 for me instead of 9/10

Air is probably the weakest KyoAni Key adaption to me I didn't like it to be honest. 6/10 here.

Clannad is probably my favorite title that KyoAni adapted from Key and favorite Drama/Slice of life series. The movie handled by Toei is once again complete shit also awful art.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 13, 2013 8:00 AM

Feb 2010
KyoAni didn't become competent with Key until Kanon (2006). Little Busters! is J.C. Staff's first time with Key series but was still better than Air (TV) since Key could only have improved with their writing since then. KyoAni's worked with Key for several years while P.A. Works and J.C. Staff only had one show with them.

Key anime got their fire from longevity and studio familiarity, not the studio itself.
Sep 13, 2013 8:13 AM

Aug 2008
It's rather the other way around. Most non-Key series from KyoAni are mediocre at beast with few exceptions.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 13, 2013 12:17 PM

Dec 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
pushed to masterpiece status by it's sequel series. If they mess this up, no one will forgive them.

Masterpiece? Laughable.

No-one will forgive them? Do you appreciate ANYTHING they do? They put in the hard work to get this out there for people to enjoy, and you act like some arrogant kid saying no-one will forgive them? PFFT
Sep 13, 2013 12:33 PM

Jun 2007
KyoAni regularly removes main characters, relevant story arcs, and so on from Key works. So no. JC Staff is even handling Little Busters better than KyoAni handled any of their adaptations of, well, anything from anyone. In terms of following the source material, at least - given half the cast isn't missing or turned into incestuous lesbian women (both things KyoAni has done).
Sep 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:

I'm pretty sure Refrain will get a higher score, just like Clannad After Story did compared to the first season.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Sep 13, 2013 1:14 PM

Jun 2012
They both suck a ton. I don't really think Kyoto Animation "makes them good" when the source material is already shit.
получить деньги моего друга
Sep 13, 2013 1:30 PM

Dec 2011
samishime said:
They both suck a ton. I don't really think Kyoto Animation "makes them good" when the source material is already shit.

Even though I disagree, this comment is great LOL
Sep 13, 2013 4:05 PM

Jun 2007
TallonKarrde23 said:
In terms of following the source material, at least - given half the cast isn't missing or turned into incestuous lesbian women (both things KyoAni has done).
Out of pure curiosity, in which KEY adaptations has KyoAni done this?
Sep 13, 2013 7:40 PM

Apr 2013
This thread is distorted....
I don't know about how good KyoAni adapted Clannad or other Key's VNs in terms of story, but I think KyoAni's adaptations have high production value compared for instance J.C. Staff's LB adaptation.

Seikunai said:
No, you're too biased to KyoAni so shut the hell up.

JC Staff doesn't suck (Uh, hello? They made Honey and Clover, Azumanga Daioh, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Toradora!, Nodame Cantabile, Bakuman, etc.) They're better than KyoAni.

Air is mediocre. Kanon was good. Clannad was near good. (If you add the first season which is not good.). K-On! is crap (Haven't seen it fully but from the episodes I see on the TV, it's worthless)

If you nitpick it like that J.C. Staff looks like a really good studio. But.... Usually J.C. Staffs does 2 or more shows per season compared to KyoAni who only does max 1 show per season. So if you look at the proportion of good and bad shows of each studio, I would say that KyoAni is better and you're too biased toward J.C. Staff. One additional point, we're talking about Key adaptations here, not talking about J.C Staff as a studio vs KyoAni as a studio. In other word please stay in topic and only discuss the shows that actually related to the question

Peten00b said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Aerostar said:

I'm pretty sure Refrain will get a higher score, just like Clannad After Story did compared to the first season.

I hope you're right, at the least they have to upgrade the visuals if J.C Staff want its LB Refrain to be as good as Clannad AS
TriZenSep 13, 2013 7:52 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

90 by DylTaku05 »»
1 minute ago

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - Today

35 by GateofDestiny »»
12 minutes ago

» who do you think is the best isekai mc and who is the worst ?

ame - Today

25 by ShatteredSans »»
12 minutes ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - Today

25 by Vendicator »»
14 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

44 by ShatteredSans »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.