Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
May 29, 2014 9:14 PM

Jan 2014
I have to like my ten's. A lot.

That being said, they are the best of what I've seen so far. They are always subject to change if I feel like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
May 29, 2014 10:20 PM

May 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
It's also basically a harem and therefore in conflict with your signature.
I would say the VA is more of a harem considering the endings come down to "pick your favourite girl". The anime is less so. Okabe isn't Mr. Magical Fix All Your Problems Man, he's the one who creates all the problems in the first place. Everyone isn't fawning over him. The plot (in the anime at least, where you can't decide its direction) also isn't about Okabe picking which girl to end up with, it's about him messing up the timeline, getting his best friend killed, and trying both undo that and change the future.

The fact that 6/8 main characters are female is a consequence of the source material. At no point when I was watching did I feel like I was watching tired, stupid harem tropes. Hell, I didn't even know it was based on a visual novel when I first watched it - I assumed the preponderance of female characters was just a side affect of male writers, and I didn't care because they wrote the characters well.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 29, 2014 10:24 PM

May 2014
Personally, I only give 10's to shows that truly excel or exceed at standards in Art, Sound, Character, Plot, and Originality. Furthering on this, if the show also goes beyond standard storytelling and has distinct/sophisticated style and purpose, then I view these 10's as more of a league of their own.

For example, Evangelion and FLCL take leaps and bounds with deep symbolization and societal commentary, whilst also creating a style of their own and excelling in basic anime judging criteria. I could write and talk for hours about just what makes these two stand head and shoulders above even some of the greats that have been released in the last decade. This is why they are two of my favorite animes of all time, and what I may unashamedly mark as some of the greatest and most brilliant ever created.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
May 29, 2014 11:12 PM

Jan 2013
I justify those scores based on how much they entertained me. What else needs to be said?
Salmon is delicious.
May 30, 2014 12:05 AM

Nov 2012
Hey, it's my thread from last year. What are the odds I'd see this on page 1 of Anime Discussion coming in to forums after 2 weeks so since my last visit.

I learned a lot about MAL from this thread.

Hmm... my username is different now so the OP makes even less sense.
May 30, 2014 12:27 AM

Sep 2013
yhunata said:
Yes, I enjoyed them. Therefore, they're 10s for me. I'm a casual watcher, I'm not gonna pretend to be a professional critic.

This.

There are only a select few that I gave a 10, and that was because of personal enjoyment and story.

Naruto: Shippuden. What can I say, I'm a Naruto fanboy I suppose. If such a long anime can still entertain me through fillers (Kakashi ANBU arc for instance) it's definatly a 10 in my eyes.
Mirai Nikki Amazing storyline + HIT IN THE FEELS
Steins;Gate Same as above
Highschool DxD New (Season 2) In season 2 it actually get's interesting, and of course don't forget boobs.
Sword Art Online Being a gamer, loved the MMORPG perspective. Love story between Asuna and Kirito definatly is something I'll always remember.

Don't judge me xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2014 12:32 AM

Jan 2013
I want to but..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 30, 2014 12:37 AM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed them a lot.
May 30, 2014 12:41 AM

Apr 2011
ThisNameSucks said:
I enjoyed them a lot.

And here I thought it was because their names sucked.
May 30, 2014 12:42 AM

Sep 2013
yhunata said:
ThisNameSucks said:
I enjoyed them a lot.

HOHO look at you pulling the jokesies!
May 30, 2014 12:44 AM

Jan 2013
cupc said:
yhunata said:
ThisNameSucks said:
I enjoyed them a lot.

Liverpool fans know their jokes..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

May 30, 2014 12:45 AM

Apr 2011
skyzblue said:
cupc said:
yhunata said:
ThisNameSucks said:
I enjoyed them a lot.

Next year is our year.
May 30, 2014 12:47 AM

Feb 2011
Tatami Galaxy - yes
Nichijou - yes
Haruhi - somewhat nostalgia biased
May 30, 2014 12:53 AM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:
skyzblue said:
cupc said:
yhunata said:
ThisNameSucks said:
I enjoyed them a lot.

Next year is our year.

NOOO
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

May 30, 2014 3:02 AM

Nov 2013
There is no such thing as perfection, everything has its flaws so i won't say the 10s on my list are perfect but i just enjoyed them a lot, it suits my taste. Well, there are only a few10s on my list anyway.
May 30, 2014 3:24 AM

Jan 2014
GibsonFlyingV said:
For example, Evangelion and FLCL take leaps and bounds with deep symbolization and societal commentary, whilst also creating a style of their own and excelling in basic anime judging criteria. I could write and talk for hours about just what makes these two stand head and shoulders above even some of the greats that have been released in the last decade. This is why they are two of my favorite animes of all time, and what I may unashamedly mark as some of the greatest and most brilliant ever created.

Even though Evangelion is also one of my favorite shows, the symbolism and religious references in it didn't have any special meaning to them during the time it was created. Anno put in all these pseudo-intellectual themes for the sole purpose of 'making it look cool'. All theories and speculation derived from this so called 'deep' symbolization were created from the viewers and the viewers alone. Anno didn't specifically imply any underlying message, hence why for some people watching End of Evangelion was even more of a mindfuck than the regular tv series.

Don't get me wrong, I still love NGE, but I liked it more for the deep-going character development rather than it's symbolic aspect.
May 30, 2014 3:39 AM

Apr 2013
Boombawks said:
Riiken said:
yhunata said:
Yes, I enjoyed them. Therefore, they're 10s for me. I'm a casual watcher, I'm not gonna pretend to be a professional critic.

I didn't know you had to be a critic to be able to express what you enjoyed about something.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 30, 2014 4:10 AM

Apr 2011
geralt said:
Boombawks said:
Riiken said:
yhunata said:

I didn't know you had to be a critic to be able to express what you enjoyed about something.

I was just being lazy. Besides, listing out reasons for all my 10s would just take too much time.
May 30, 2014 4:16 AM

Apr 2014
I only give a show a 10 to state that it earns the title "Masterpiece", in my opinion of course.

If there was a decimal system no show would be a 10 on my list, because nothing is perfect.

Anime like After Story and FMA Brotherhood came pretty damn close to perfection thought.

May 30, 2014 4:21 AM

Jun 2013
Yes, because most people rate their average shows as 7s when they in fact should rate them as 5s.

The whole thing is subjective so no matter how hard you argue or how valid your points about certain aspects of quality are, it doesn't matter. You might have rated a show 4/10 based purely on the shows actual quality in terms of sound, art and all that. Then someone comes along and votes that same show a 10/10 based purely on his personal enjoyment. No one can dispute eithers rating, because the whole rating system is subjective and not worth taking too seriously.

People are using the rating system for their own personal gain. I know for a fact that some people intentionally rate shows they hate lower just for the purpose of lowering the shows overal score. This is surely happening the other way around as well.
May 30, 2014 7:27 AM

Oct 2013
ofc i gave mars of destruction a 10 it could be the best 19 mins of my life
[/quote]
May 30, 2014 7:44 AM

Feb 2014
I only rate based on enjoyment, so my scores are usually very high.

I think rating anime 'seriously', is unnecessary/silly unless a group of people actually expects to see your score. Maybe if you're a reviewer or something.
May 30, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2012
hentai_eucli said:

I think rating anime 'seriously', is unnecessary/silly unless a group of people actually expects to see your score. Maybe if you're a reviewer or something.

Yeah, I just rate based on personal enjoyment most of the time. I consider a few factors such as plot, characterisation, and so on, but mostly I just base it off of how much I liked it. And I seem to like a lot of mainstream stuff... /guilt
May 30, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2013
blossombomb said:
hentai_eucli said:

Yeah, I just rate based on personal enjoyment most of the time. I consider a few factors such as plot, characterisation, and so on, but mostly I just base it off of how much I liked it. And I seem to like a lot of mainstream stuff... /guilt

Don't have any guilt for liking stuff that's mainstream. Ignore all the hipsters and "experienced" anime watchers that hates popular shows for the wrong reasons.
May 30, 2014 11:02 AM

Jun 2013
Watch it and see for yourself. You'd understand why.
May 30, 2014 11:42 AM
Dec 2013
I give a 10 when:

I cry so much I get dehydrated,
I laugh so much my lungs gonna hurt,
I'm so afraid that I can't sleep.
Jun 1, 2014 1:36 PM

May 2014
Yhuuro said:
GibsonFlyingV said:

Even though Evangelion is also one of my favorite shows, the symbolism and religious references in it didn't have any special meaning to them during the time it was created. Anno put in all these pseudo-intellectual themes for the sole purpose of 'making it look cool'. All theories and speculation derived from this so called 'deep' symbolization were created from the viewers and the viewers alone. Anno didn't specifically imply any underlying message, hence why for some people watching End of Evangelion was even more of a mindfuck than the regular tv series.

Don't get me wrong, I still love NGE, but I liked it more for the deep-going character development rather than it's symbolic aspect.
I understand your point, but Anno did actually create his characters in a way that expressed his opinions of Japanese culture and the anime industry's commercial goals as a whole. It's pretty evident in most of his works in which he was involved through Gainax. FLCL is no exception. If you've watched the Rebuilds, I suggest taking a look at this perspective as it gives an interesting look at Anno's purpose.

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jun 1, 2014 2:32 PM

Mar 2014
No because Madoka is shit.
Jun 1, 2014 2:59 PM

Feb 2011
nothing is perfect, I just try to rate as for a 1-5 scale and then multiply by 2 since imo a 10 scale is dumb
Munch munch, chomp chomp, gobble gobble, gulp.
Jun 1, 2014 3:00 PM

Dec 2008
A good deal of my judgement is based on its ability to entertain. Sometimes I overlook the lack of quality animation, pace and sound (among others) to give a show a 10, but only if the show is entertaining enough.

Jun 1, 2014 3:07 PM

Sep 2013
Yes

Anime sucks
Jun 1, 2014 6:43 PM

Aug 2012
I'm always checking reviews before watching anime, as well as the ranking. That way I can figure out if it's worth my time. For example, I had to check a bunch of reviews to make sure Evangelion was worth watching. It was.
Sep 7, 2015 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
I don't really give out tens often but...

Monster - Phenomenal plot, memorable characters, huge amount of classic episodes, greatest villain ever, engaging theme about morality, unforgettable soundtrack

Brotherhood - Awesome theme songs, great characterization, excellent soundtrack, great plot, multiple philosophical themes, beautiful setting (Read my review for more detail)

Bebop - Legendary theme song, phenomenal protagonist, unforgettable soundtrack, love episodic plot, hilarious episode previews, excellent characterization, many classic scenes
Sep 7, 2015 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
My list doesn't have any tens.
Sep 7, 2015 3:49 PM

Mar 2015
10 doesnt mean perfect for me. 9,5 is already deserve a 10. perfection is not exist because something that perfect today maybe will look unperfect tomorrow. we will never know.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 7, 2015 3:53 PM

Jan 2014
No Anime is perfect.
No Anime is a 10.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Sep 7, 2015 3:59 PM
Aug 2013
rrexyl said:
Anime sucks
of cours
Sep 7, 2015 4:00 PM
Mar 2015
I'm not a critic. My 10s are what I found most enjoyable and my ratings are purely subjective. The 10s I have on my list right now are:
- Mushishi: Some of the best stories I have seen. It does in 1 episode what most anime struggle to do in an entire season.
- Kenshin Trust and Betrayal: Best OVA I have ever seen. One of my favorite love stories in any medium.
- Ping Pong: I love the soundtrack and the way it was animated (I know people say that the animation sucks but I liked it).
- Seirei no moribito: It was very enjoyable to watch. I liked the characters and the mother/son relationship between balsa and the prince.
- Monster (manga): Amazing and intense plot. Had some very memorable characters and I loved everything about it.
Sep 7, 2015 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
Yama no Susume Second Season: This has the most beautiful animation I have seen. All of the characters are well developed; even some of the background characters have personalities. The adventures are all realistic. The pacing isn't the best, but I gave it some leeway due to everything it did well.

Usagi Drop: The characters are all realistic. It does a good job of showing a single parent raising a child. The ending isn't anything special, but that's not too big of a problem.

Toradora!: This one I mainly just gave a 10 to because it was the anime that made me want to watch more anime. Taiga is a bit annoying at times, it is somewhat harem-like complete with a beach episode. Taiga eventually showing her true feelings was nice, although that is the original meaning of "tsundere". Looking back it probably doesn't deserve a 10.
Sep 7, 2015 4:16 PM

Aug 2015
I couldn't if I tried.

All mine would be purely subjective, only one other people would maybe agree with is FMA:B.
Sep 7, 2015 4:19 PM
Nov 2009
My 10s are my only subjective scores - these are my favorite shows. Everything else is rated objectively.

Because objectively there is no Anime which deserves a 10, or a 1.
Sep 7, 2015 5:07 PM
Feb 2013
A 10/10 anime is not a "perfect" anime, it's an anime that produces the most entertainment
Sep 7, 2015 5:23 PM

May 2015
I like them therefore they are the best

Sep 7, 2015 5:26 PM
Mar 2013
you shouldn't have to justify your scores to anyone
Sep 7, 2015 5:29 PM

Jan 2015
I ain't no critic so I base my scores off of enjoyment. And a 10 means max enjoyment.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Sep 7, 2015 5:32 PM

Feb 2015
bobzanny said:
I ain't no critic so I base my scores off of enjoyment. And a 10 means max enjoyment.
Sep 7, 2015 5:35 PM
Mar 2011
yes i can by my ratings system for anime side any way for manga its harder since its not my gutfeeling on the prodct that i may have compated as much as 8-10 weekk ago
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 7, 2015 5:36 PM

Nov 2010
TrigT said:
bobzanny said:
Where does your enjoyment come from? Out of thin air? Can you enjoy a clump of dirt the same way you enjoy an anime?
Sep 7, 2015 5:38 PM

Sep 2014
For me I do believe my "10/10"'s are not perfect because there is no thing as a perfect anime...but I really enjoyed them and either I can't find flaws or the flaws didn't take away from my enjoyment which is I gave those anime a "10/10"

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

50 by traed »»
1 minute ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

5 by 707supremacist »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
27 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.