Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 17, 2013 7:13 AM
Mar 2011
this is one of the most underrated anime of the year on here and i dont see why its that way
casting is top notch
Music is proper anison
on top of that is good to see Kanetsugu portrayed not looking like a monk wfor fights with charms like in most other things like this
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 17, 2013 7:21 AM

Jan 2012
Yes, I agree. It is underrated.
I think it is because most people are judging it based on the cover image alone and they think it's just another boring Samurai/action anime amd drop it on the first ep. I, however, am very much enjoying it :)

Aug 17, 2013 7:27 AM
Jun 2013
IheartAnime77 said:
I think it is because most people are judging it based on the cover image alone and they think it's just another boring Samurai/action anime amd drop it on the first ep. I, however, am very much enjoying it :)

Then there's people who approach this anime as if it is a action series despite this is not. It's a deep examination of what righteousness is from the eyes of different people of the Sengoku period. Also, it makes reminiscence an awesome thing to do. I really enjoyed it.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Aug 17, 2013 7:41 AM

Sep 2012
At first i thought it was boring, but now that i'm up to date on episode 7 i see that it is interesting. Oh and btw the Opening is really awesome.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Aug 17, 2013 6:32 PM

Jan 2012
valoon said:
Oh and btw the Opening is really awesome.

This ^.^

Aug 17, 2013 6:39 PM

Nov 2010
I think it's a littler underrated but I don't blame anyone. The art feels static, most faces look similar and they don't seem to move much(no emotion). The OP is great, I replay it at least once ever episode. The story is ok, it's done through flashbacks which most people don't like. History anime as a whole usually isn't that popular here.
But I think most people's problems would be with the art.
Aug 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Aug 2011
I was going to drop it when I first started watching but like it now after seven episodes. Art is okay but love the music more and the chemistry between most of the characters. A 7/10 from me so far.
Aug 19, 2013 11:25 AM
Jul 2012
IheartAnime77 said:

this, and the story seems boring which I agree, but the action is so good and at episode 3 or 4 it gets good that I don't get why people hate this so much.
Aug 19, 2013 12:13 PM

May 2012
It's not "underrated." By all traditional measures Gifuu Doudou!! is terrible. It's really quite obvious that Studio DEEN was working with a very small budget, resulting in an enormous quantity of recycled footage, scenes where the only movement is the slow pan or zoom of the camera, scenes with comically off-model figures, and "action" scenes where the director goes through great pains to avoid actually animating anything. Furthermore, the writing is both all over the place and far below the the intellectual level of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Hokuto no Ken even, which it is both a spiritual and literal descendent of. The only part of the entire series that could actually be called "good" is the OP song. (The OP animation is just recycled footage with filters and and framing applied.)

The show can have a lot of value as entertainment to some (me included), as I outlined in my review, and it is fun to watch these outrageously exaggerated historical figures romp around Sengoku-era Japan dispensing RIGHTEOUSNESS wherever they set foot. But "deep"? Not in a million years. Historical accuracy? Low. Production values? Terrible even for DEEN.

We might all enjoy our weekly dose of RIGHTEOUSNESS, but let's not kid ourselves and think that this show is actually any good.

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Aug 19, 2013 12:18 PM
Oct 2011
> Why so veery underrated

The lack of men, true men.
Aug 25, 2013 5:20 PM

Jul 2010
_liar said:

I wonder if we're watching the same show. I agree about that low budget though.
Aug 28, 2013 4:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Because this is MAL and the show doesn't have enough little girls with Neko ears or screaming 'Onii-chan suki desu' every other episode; or the suave white haired all knowing slim bishoujo teenage hero.

More seriously though, I think Studio Deen intended for this to be very 'tongue in cheek' camp kind of show. I fail to see how they could have done some of those scenes without laughing out loud at their cheesiness. And yeah, the lack of budget show's in the sub-par animation.

It's far from a great show but it's no worse than half of the repetitive rom/com harem crap that get's released every season.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 28, 2013 8:29 AM

May 2010
Plus, it's different with manga version.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2013 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Even before the anime aired, the show was the least popular and had the least expectations on 2ch. Another of Tetsuo Hara's series, Hana no Keiji is actually one of the best selling Shounen Jump manga with 17 million copies sold, 20 years ago. Unfortunately, this isn't the 90s and otakus aren't into this kind of stories anymore.

Even if they did increase the budget significantly, people still wouldn't buy the blurays, and according to preorder numbers, it has only sold 82 copies so far. Now with such a low number, how would they justify a higher budget? Sure, DEEN is notorious for messing a lot of great mangas but I think the audience's tastes is also working against the show.

However, I still hold my faith high, because the last episodes were decent, and I have faith in the scriptwriter Yasuhiro Imagawa who has penned great classics like Giant Robo. This man has his own style of doing things, and unfortunately, Gifuu Doudou's budget is working both against him and the director.
Aug 28, 2013 4:28 PM

Nov 2012
--likelike-- said:
Historical accuracy? Low.
[citation needed]
Aug 29, 2013 9:17 AM

May 2012
Unit-01 said:
--likelike-- said:
Historical accuracy? Low.
[citation needed]

Unless you think that Lone Wolf and Cub, for example, is some paragon of historical accuracy, I shouldn't have to explain this one. Are the characters, locations, and events based on real ones? Yes, enough that one of its genres is "historical." But it's also a campfest of a drama that takes many liberties with its "source material," if you will. For example, I'm fairly certain that Naoe Kanetsugu and Maeda Keiji never got infodumped by ghost Oda Nobunaga when they were chilling out on a lake one evening. Nor was the revelation that he brought true; I'm by no means an expert on this era, but a bit of searching on the internet finds no backing for the claim that Naoe Kanetsugu was the illegitimate son of Usuegi Kenshin. (Feel free to correct me if you do find something though!) And while the real Keiji is known to have been an exceptionally skilled warrior (and yes, a "legitimate eccentric"), I highly doubt that he was a 10-foot-tall samurai ninja (unless I misunderstood, did he not claim to be a descent of the Kouga clan?) clad in tiger skins who attracted tiger skin-clad imposters.

Gifuu Doudou!! is a historical drama, yes, but its characters and scenarios are outsized (both figuratively and literally), exaggerated, and sometimes even invented.

Aug 29, 2013 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
Those guys have - badass - muscles and faces. Holy shit.

It's mega underrated.
Aug 30, 2013 7:54 AM

Oct 2011
This is not underrated. It has fatal flaws and while this is enjoyable the 5/6 score is actually quite accurate.

The sad truth is that other shows are overrated beyond limits. Most animes deserve an <5 score.
Sep 1, 2013 2:22 PM

Oct 2012
This is the best anime of the summer season :C the OP is just awesome i srly... don't know why this have a lower score than boku no pico!!!
Sep 6, 2013 3:42 PM

Apr 2008
because there are more boys on MAL than men.
Sep 10, 2013 7:33 AM

Feb 2010
Wow I didn't know it was that absurdly low. Well, I could care less.

On another note does anyone know how long this will run? I'm still optimistic for 2-cours!
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 17, 2013 1:14 PM

Sep 2012
I like Boku no Pico more :P

And also i hope it ends in a few weeks, but seems to be airing also in fall. But well i can agree, the opening is very well made :)
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 17, 2013 1:29 PM
Mar 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

On another note does anyone know how long this will run? I'm still optimistic for 2-cours!

how much less could your care
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 17, 2013 2:05 PM
Mar 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

There are 8 DVD volumes listed for this series with 3 episode on each DVD. I guess there will be at least 24 episodes.
Sep 18, 2013 5:05 AM

Jul 2009
I guess many people here on MAL are scared off by the art style.
Those two are just manlier than the average harem comedy fan can handle...
Sep 18, 2013 2:51 PM

Feb 2010
DateYutaka said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

how much less could your care

37,9276%

melina_putri said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

There are 8 DVD volumes listed for this series with 3 episode on each DVD. I guess there will be at least 24 episodes.

Thanks for the info!
Sep 20, 2013 4:38 AM

Feb 2011
animehobbit said:
Exactly!
Sep 20, 2013 5:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
animehobbit said:

LOL. You're right. I mean just imagine you stock male anime character and his little harem. Now picture Maeda Keiji walking into the room...
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 21, 2013 1:15 PM

Jul 2012
--likelike-- said:
It's not "underrated." By all traditional measures Gifuu Doudou!! is terrible. It's really quite obvious that Studio DEEN was working with a very small budget, resulting in an enormous quantity of recycled footage, scenes where the only movement is the slow pan or zoom of the camera, scenes with comically off-model figures, and "action" scenes where the director goes through great pains to avoid actually animating anything. Furthermore, the writing is both all over the place and far below the the intellectual level of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Hokuto no Ken even, which it is both a spiritual and literal descendent of. The only part of the entire series that could actually be called "good" is the OP song. (The OP animation is just recycled footage with filters and and framing applied.)

The show can have a lot of value as entertainment to some (me included), as I outlined in my review, and it is fun to watch these outrageously exaggerated historical figures romp around Sengoku-era Japan dispensing RIGHTEOUSNESS wherever they set foot. But "deep"? Not in a million years. Historical accuracy? Low. Production values? Terrible even for DEEN.

We might all enjoy our weekly dose of RIGHTEOUSNESS, but let's not kid ourselves and think that this show is actually any good.

Even if you said that, you gave an 8 to Evangelion, that have the very same problems, your argument is invalid.
Sep 22, 2013 1:33 PM

May 2012
Danpmss said:
--likelike-- said:

Even if you said that, you gave an 8 to Evangelion, that have the very same problems, your argument is invalid.

Oh no, looks like I've been defeated by a one-liner.

Sep 24, 2013 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
--likelike-- said:
Danpmss said:
--likelike-- said:

Oh no, looks like I've been defeated by a one-liner.

I support you, Danpmss is wrong. Your argument is validated again.
Oct 2, 2013 12:09 PM

Jun 2013
I'm afraid the pun in the title is only funny for people who speak Japlang.

I did laugh at the pun at first, because damn, it sounds like crap, but funny still.
Now I'm not laughing anymore because the show doesn't receive the praise it deserves.
Oct 5, 2013 10:40 AM
Sep 2012
So far im 9 episodes into the show (i know im not up to date but im catching up on it today) and so far its at a 6/10 which i wouldnt really call underating it, the only real thing that makes this show bearable, is that the story is mediocre, and the opening is good. I'm not the kind of person to drop an anime no matter how bad but still, this is probably in the bottom like 10% of anime ive seen, but i still prefer it to Boku no Pico which got a 5/10.

Also i took a gander and the manga is apparently 10 chapters, and they arent even like the 40page+ attack on titan ones, they range between like 17 and 30 pages, with only one or two chapters above 25 pages. I dont see how someone can be so idiotic to make a 24 (im assuming this is) episode anime with a 10 chapter manga counterpart, if the pacing wasnt so unnaterally slow then maybe this might of gotten a 7, or even an 8.
AaronCruseOct 5, 2013 10:44 AM
"Whatever the problem is, I'll solve it by burning it!" - Magical Kyoko Flame
Oct 8, 2013 1:59 PM
Mar 2012
AaronCruse said:
So far im 9 episodes into the show (i know im not up to date but im catching up on it today) and so far its at a 6/10 which i wouldnt really call underating it, the only real thing that makes this show bearable, is that the story is mediocre, and the opening is good. I'm not the kind of person to drop an anime no matter how bad but still, this is probably in the bottom like 10% of anime ive seen, but i still prefer it to Boku no Pico which got a 5/10.

Also i took a gander and the manga is apparently 10 chapters, and they arent even like the 40page+ attack on titan ones, they range between like 17 and 30 pages, with only one or two chapters above 25 pages. I dont see how someone can be so idiotic to make a 24 (im assuming this is) episode anime with a 10 chapter manga counterpart, if the pacing wasnt so unnaterally slow then maybe this might of gotten a 7, or even an 8.

What are you talking about? There are 8 volume of manga for this series at the moment and it is still ongoing.

Source: http://www.comic-zenon.jp/comics/comic_list.php?title_id=8
Oct 9, 2013 12:39 PM

Aug 2009
AaronCruse said:
the story is mediocre

Care to explain how it's mediocre? I'm loving all the politics that's going on in the show. How would you tackle such historical figures like Maeda Keiji and Naoe Kanetsugu?

the pacing wasnt so unnaterally slow then maybe this might of gotten a 7, or even an 8.

It's only slow for those who refuse to invest in the plot. The show does require some working knowledge of the historical sengoku period. Do you even realize how much information we've been given since episode 1?
Oct 10, 2013 5:49 PM
Mar 2008
Gifuu Doudou isn't underrated. This Anime isn't meant to be Mainstream ad to be for a big audience, like the harem/comedy/girly/mainstream crap nowadays.
Gifuu Doudou is, especially because of that, a damn good anime. And most inmportant: It goes a new way with an old-school touch. What's wrong with that?
In the end is everything only a matter of opinion, but from what i read here, i can only facepalm at some people.......
Oct 11, 2013 10:47 AM
Sep 2012
melina_putri said:
What are you talking about? There are 8 volume of manga for this series at the moment and it is still ongoing.

Source: http://www.comic-zenon.jp/comics/comic_list.php?title_id=8

Eh? i was under the impression that this was based off the manga stated on MAL, it's the only one listed as the series being an adaptation of.

Source: http://myanimelist.net/manga/39815/Gifuu_Doudou!!_Naoe_Kanetsugu_-_Maeda_Keiji_Sakegatari

I even started reading the manga and holy crap the series is so bad in comparison, i'd easily give the manga an 8, perhaps even a 9 but i havnt finished yet, the art is freaking amazing, and everything isn't overcensored like a seinen should be. Were i the kind of person to compare manga to their respective animes, my respect for the show would of taken a nose-dive
"Whatever the problem is, I'll solve it by burning it!" - Magical Kyoko Flame
Nov 18, 2013 2:54 PM

Apr 2011
Lol the only good thing about this is supposed to be the opening song? To me, the ending theme was the only good part, well at least from the first episodes, I don't know if they changed it by now 'cause I dropped it. This is the first time ever I didn't like a Anime at all but still listen to the ending theme ALL the time 'cause it's awesome.
Nov 19, 2013 5:34 AM
Jun 2013
KevinRammstein said:
Lol the only good thing about this is supposed to be the opening song? To me, the ending theme was the only good part, well at least from the first episodes, I don't know if they changed it by now 'cause I dropped it. This is the first time ever I didn't like a Anime at all but still listen to the ending theme ALL the time 'cause it's awesome.

It is changed to "Last Moment" by Wakai Yuki from i☆Ris and it is even better. I consider it the best ending of this fall season.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Nov 19, 2013 1:45 PM

Jul 2010
KevinRammstein said:

I pity all of you who dropped this. Really.
Nov 19, 2013 3:37 PM

Feb 2011
Akanezora said:
I pity all of you who dropped this. Really.

Same here. Out of all the weekly animes I'm watching now, this is one of the few which I actually really look forward to watching every week.
I've also heard a lot of people complain about the low budget. Just my opinion, but I think that's a horrible attitude.

Anyway, people, you're missing out on a great show with excellent storytelling and memorable characters! May there be Righteousness!
Nov 19, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2011
I gave it a fair chance. It bored me for the first 2 or 3 episodes, then I started really liking it.
The first OP was awesome.

Then it got super dull and boring and I dropped it after episode 16, which may have been the recap.
I don't drop shows often, but if I literally fall asleep in the middle of episodes, I will.
bawwwww
Nov 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Jun 2012
Wow this is only getting a 5.67!? Where is the gi?
Nov 21, 2013 10:40 AM

Jan 2012
I tried to like it but even I have found myself wondering why I should watch another episode of this. Maybe I will go back and try to finish it at some point, but to be honest cliche isn't even an adequate enough word to describe this show.
Nov 21, 2013 10:41 AM

Feb 2010
Any news on how long this will be? Any chance for more than 2-cour? Date?
Jun 8, 2014 5:10 AM

Jan 2012
b/c 90% of "men" nowadays rather be watching pubescent school girls doing random stupid shit over and over

fuckthisgayearth.gif
Feb 21, 2019 4:38 PM

Sep 2012
I think the fact that this hasn't seen any live since 5 years pretty much explains why it is "underrated" lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 8 Discussion

silentlylurking - Aug 20, 2013

9 by ToG25thBaam »»
May 13, 2014 11:17 PM

Poll: » Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 7 Discussion

silentlylurking - Aug 13, 2013

11 by ToG25thBaam »»
May 13, 2014 10:57 PM

Poll: » Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 6 Discussion

silentlylurking - Aug 6, 2013

12 by ToG25thBaam »»
May 13, 2014 5:30 AM

Poll: » Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 4 Discussion

ellisca - Jul 23, 2013

16 by ToG25thBaam »»
Feb 24, 2014 4:46 AM

Poll: » Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 24 Discussion

AlexTheRiot - Dec 10, 2013

10 by Monad »»
Jan 9, 2014 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.