Forums
New
Which do you prefer more?
Being quiet.
74.4%
Being talkative.
25.6%
270 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 25, 2009 9:21 AM

Jan 2009
I've been quiet since I was in Kindergarten and well it doesn't bother me as much as it does to some people. The reason I'm quiet is well I really don't have much to say or comment about people or anything. I tend to keep to myself most of the time. But if I do want to talk then thats when it leads me to being a random person, I say really weird stuff sometimes. So I choose to be quiet most of the time. -w-
Jan 25, 2009 9:23 AM

Feb 2008
Scud said:
I have nothing interesting to say to anyone.
This is true.
Jan 25, 2009 10:30 AM

Mar 2008
I'm quiet until I talk to someone. I can usually hit it off pretty well with anyone and just talk for a long time about anything. It helps a lot if they're interested in the stuff I'm into, for obvious reasons. I have a lot of strong opinions about things so I find it easy to discuss things that I care about. But I'm definitely not the outgoing type...I'm quite antisocial unless I see a reason to approach someone. You never know what kind of person you'll meet or what kind of information you'll get.
Jan 25, 2009 10:35 AM

Aug 2008
I'm quiet. Sometime I might be in the mood and be really talkative but everyone just tell me to shut up. I guess I'm just so annoying that nobody wants to listen to me. Feeling bad and angry about it, i'd rather just stay quiet.
Jan 25, 2009 10:36 AM

Jan 2009
I love to listen to people what people have to say.
Sometimes they sound really stupid, and I get a good laugh.
Jan 25, 2009 10:44 AM

Sep 2008
Bad Childhood of being different from everyone else (read: smarter), I got tired of people bothering me, so I ignored them. Now, most people I meet IRL seem... dull, to be nice. I find people to talk to... and I go from there.

I'm rarely that lucky though.
Jan 25, 2009 10:52 AM

Jan 2009
I'm kinda sociophobic bt I still luv interacting with ppl wid common interests as me. I may seem quite at first, but if I manage to make good friends (and even with family members) I can get so talkative and frank that it can be annoying as hell :P that's y i tend to keep my mouth shut most of the tym & prefer being on my own wenevr I'm nt in the mood of disturbing ppl or getting troubled by them in turn ^_^

actly u can say that sumtyms m shy myself, and so admire ppl wid quiet personalities, deir seriousness looks rly cool and turns me on mst of d tym: I feel dat ar eyes are enuf 2 convey most of ar feelings wen v say nuthin at al, n ppl shud appreciate serenity more dan boisterousness!
devils_mareJan 25, 2009 11:00 AM
Jan 25, 2009 10:55 AM

Jul 2008
No one cares what anyone has to say. It's all about the feelings and tone behind the words. You can say the most absolutely ridiculous stuff in a positive manner and sound better than the guy who has the most interesting stuff to say but is negative.

Plus, I'm a self made social butterfly. Conversation is where it's at.
Jan 25, 2009 11:37 AM
Jun 2007
devils_mare said:
I'm kinda sociophobic bt I still luv interacting with ppl wid common interests as me. I may seem quite at first, but if I manage to make good friends (and even with family members) I can get so talkative and frank that it can be annoying as hell :P that's y i tend to keep my mouth shut most of the tym & prefer being on my own wenevr I'm nt in the mood of disturbing ppl or getting troubled by them in turn ^_^

actly u can say that sumtyms m shy myself, and so admire ppl wid quiet personalities, deir seriousness looks rly cool and turns me on mst of d tym: I feel dat ar eyes are enuf 2 convey most of ar feelings wen v say nuthin at al, n ppl shud appreciate serenity more dan boisterousness!

0_0

Jan 25, 2009 11:40 AM

Jul 2008
AnimusNathan said:
devils_mare said:

0_0

Dat dem der werds ar confuzzling.
Jan 25, 2009 11:40 AM

May 2007
Quiet people generally don't have many things to talk about. The few things they might be interested in / know alot about aren't topics most people would converse about. Anime is an example.

Being quiet is often a form of neutrality - it helps you make friends by not offending anyone by saying anything stupid. As long as you throw in a few intelligent / funny opinions here and there, it becomes far easier to maintain a high level of respect than an outgoing individual who's forced to make jokes and act wild day in and day out.

Jan 25, 2009 11:45 AM

Jul 2008
Xyik said:
Quiet people generally don't have many things to talk about. The few things they might be interested in / know alot about aren't topics most people would converse about. Anime is an example.

Being quiet is often a form of neutrality - it helps you make friends by not offending anyone by saying anything stupid. As long as you throw in a few intelligent / funny opinions here and there, it becomes far easier to maintain a high level of respect than an outgoing individual who's forced to make jokes and act wild day in and day out.

Don't be so fast to knock on people like me. Gaining respect through words is rather pointless. Real respect is gained through your actions.
Jan 25, 2009 11:46 AM

Jan 2008
Unless I'm talking to my girlfriend, I prefer not to talk much. I hate when people talk my ear off.-_-
Jan 25, 2009 11:47 AM

Sep 2007
I tend to stay quiet because I'm a slow thinker. I suck at generating off-hand responses that make sense, and by the time I've figured out what I want to say, the conversation has already moved on.
Jan 25, 2009 11:47 AM

Dec 2007
Im not quiet at all though i wont talk peoples ear off unless they of course are into the conversation as well.
Jan 25, 2009 12:05 PM
Jun 2007
I'm a talker myself, and in reply to "I'd rather be thought a fool, than open my mouth and remove all doubt" I have this quote:

"I'd rather die on my feet than live a hundred years on my knees."

also:

"“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”"

Jan 25, 2009 12:11 PM

Oct 2008
Vagabond said:
Gaining respect through words is rather pointless. Real respect is gained through your actions.
this.
Jan 25, 2009 12:15 PM

Jul 2008
AnimusNathan said:
"“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”"

Never heard that exact quote before, but it makes sense. Goes along with what I said in post #61 of this thread.
Jan 25, 2009 12:23 PM

Dec 2007
I'm both. At first, I'm quiet and I analyze every single person, then when I know everyone, I blend in.
Jan 25, 2009 12:46 PM

Aug 2008
Im quiet because Im social phobic, Im afraid to talk to people who I don't know or really don't know that well and sometimes if I do know them even then I feel scared to talk to them.
I can't start a conversation to save my life, and if Im put in a situation where I have to talk to someone and I feel uncomfortable I'll hyperventilate and sometimes cry.

and trying to get over this has been an ongoing process since I was little.
Jan 25, 2009 12:48 PM

Aug 2008
http://giftedkids.about.com/od/glossary/g/introvert.htm said:
Definition: Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

^ Im introverted
Jan 25, 2009 12:49 PM

Nov 2006
legiondairy said:
I'm quiet, because I'm shy and people scare me/make me nervous.

Although sometimes when i'm really nervous i'll talk a lot for some reason.
Also when the subject is right i can talk a lot.

I prefer the quiet times though.
this is me exactly.
Jan 25, 2009 12:52 PM

Oct 2007
i'm quiet generally b/c i believe most people are stupid, not that i have an elitist view or anything, its just when most people talk, stupid shit comes out that i could care less about
Jan 25, 2009 12:57 PM

Jul 2008
Xyik said:

So very true.

I'm quite because I like to observe, rarely have anything in common with the other person, and talking is just something I don't like to do.

I also love to be alone, and talking with someone is something I don't want to do, but am forced to do usually. Blending in is also something I wont bother to do, as I don't want to blend in but be left alone.

Jan 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Jul 2008
I voted for being quiet. I am very quiet person and I prefer people who are also quiet.

This is one the quotes I try and live by.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt'

Jan 25, 2009 1:53 PM

Mar 2008
I dont know what to vote for because being quite is more relaxing but being talkative is fun

Im kind of quiet but im also known for talking a lot once i get going and it really surprises people.

REASONS
•Prefer listening a lot of the time

•Dont have anything to say in the subject talked about( for instance if someone is talking about someone i dont know I cant add anything)

•Dont want to just say a bunch of stupid stuff no one cares about or just something stupid

•My throat doesnt like talking for a long time and will start to hurt a little or I cant sound the same

•Im shy around people I dont know and only go on long conversations with ones Ive known a while or I just have a random reason to jump in on someones conversation

•Other idots that wont shut up so i get interrupted too much lol
Jan 25, 2009 2:10 PM

Jul 2008
Frito said:
Vagabond said:
Gaining respect through words is rather pointless. Real respect is gained through your actions.
this.
If I hadn't read Vagabonds earlier post, I would interpret this as frivolous words are hollow so usually being quiet is smart.

However, I guess it could be interpreted alternatively as carefully considered words are pretentious, but frivolous chatter performs the worthwhile function of making people feel comfortable. Please could someone confirm the validity of the assumption that this is in fact what Vagabond and Frito intended to imply?
Jan 25, 2009 2:22 PM

Dec 2008
muffin-chan said:
It really depends on the people I'm talking to.
In school I'm quiet, mostly because I'm to tired to talk since its so early in the morning, and I do my homework at school instead of home. But to my friends and family I can be really talkative.
Sometimes I prefer listening than talking.

This is me.. D:
Jan 25, 2009 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
I'm quiet. I don't know why, I've just been that way all my life. It gets annoying sometimes when people ask me why I'm quiet. Why are you the way you are? Sometimes there isn't a definite reason.
Jan 25, 2009 3:03 PM

Mar 2008
I am quiet because I got nothing good to say, I don't care for people to much and I like silence.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Jan 25, 2009 3:19 PM

Nov 2008
I voted quiet I have plenty to say and contribute to most conversations I have with my friends but I wouldnt say I was even close to being talkative. Quite often when I have nothing to say or have no knowledge of the subject being discussed I will just zone out or if we are on a bus fall asleep.

Talking to people other than my friends and family thats when the problems start. I'm too shy to start conversations or hold them with people I don't know. When I'm forced too talk to people I don't know I hate it and try and get away as quick as possible. I am suprised I have any friends at all actually.

I keep to myself most of the time so I guess I'm quiet.
Jan 25, 2009 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
I am quite most of the time since I don't have much to say and I usually have very little to contribute to a conversation. Though if I like the person I'm talking to or if I think they are cool, I can usually come up with something to say.
Jan 25, 2009 3:37 PM

Jun 2008
Zelgato said:
I'm quiet. I don't know why, I've just been that way all my life. It gets annoying sometimes when people ask me why I'm quiet. Why are you the way you are? Sometimes there isn't a definite reason.

Same.
Jan 25, 2009 4:19 PM

Jun 2008
ukonkivi said:
I'm an IRL spammer

This.
I'm back.
Jan 25, 2009 4:37 PM

Sep 2008
I think quiet girls are cute and it's fun trying to get them to talk... but if they're like SO DEAD that you couldn't tell if she was mute or not... then that's when I get a little -.-;

But talkative girls are also cool to, nothing wrong with them in my opinion.

As for myself, I'm an in between person; if no one's talking, I'll start a conversation, but people are engaged, I just prefer to listen.
What isn't red? What isn't blue?
Jan 25, 2009 4:45 PM
Sep 2008
Naikou(?) said:
I tend to stay quiet because I'm a slow thinker. I suck at generating off-hand responses that make sense, and by the time I've figured out what I want to say, the conversation has already moved on.

This.

I can't think of anything interesting to add. In fact, whenever there's a conversation going on, I hear the words but I don't think I even have any reaction inside my head. All I do is sit and think, "Unremarkable. What can I add?"

So I'm really quiet when I'm around acquaintances (close to everyone).

But for some reason, when I'm with one of the rare people I'm comfortable with, I can actually find something to respond with. Anything, I can add my input. So I'm talkative with my sister.

o____o I guess only people I'm close to can stimulate my brain.

Personally, though, I think it's better to be talkative and I wish I was with everyone. 'Cause I know talking with my sister is fun. The "talking" I have with acquaintances doesn't count, though, because that's just forced comments.
Jan 25, 2009 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
I'm the opposite of quiet.

I'm quiet when i am alone though, naturally.
Jan 25, 2009 5:02 PM

Dec 2007
As from this board I tend to infer that being talkative is considered... Bad? Allow me to be shy and talkative at the same time? To have many interesting things to say about stuff that nobody knows, like the various stirpes of Entereobacteriacea sakazaki?

I feel that if I was ever to meet 98% of the people in this board irl I would be hated.

I think that most people that claim to be untalkative or shy don't do it because they don't know how to and end up commenting the weather.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 25, 2009 5:04 PM

Mar 2008
Quietness is overrated.
Jan 25, 2009 5:14 PM

Sep 2007
M_A said:
Quietness is overrated.

Indeed. I'm an introvert, but I'm also terribly shy. So on the occasions when I do actually want to talk to people, I get terrified and can't do it.

So ronery. ;_;
Jan 25, 2009 5:23 PM

Jan 2008
Sick-Bastard said:
ukonkivi said:
I'm an IRL spammer

This.

Hahaha. So you go around telling people about penis enlargement pills and zangocash spywarez? :P
Jan 25, 2009 5:43 PM
Sep 2008
Watching anime as an immature brat influenced me to be antisocial. "Okay, commence tsundere image!" Epic fail. I went into high school more willing to socialize but having no idea how to do it. Self-consciousness complicates it too.

I'm really fine when nobody bothers me, but it's a pain when I have to interact with others. Burden in this society.
Jan 25, 2009 5:43 PM

Apr 2007
whenever I'm with people I dont know, I start out as a quiet person if I hear someone talk about something I can relate to I kinda experiment with that person.
just by bringing up small topics we can all relate to and expand that.
depending on how far the variaty of topics go depends on the one i'm talking to.
And if I cant relate to anything, i'll stay quiet.

which makes me a totally different conversionalist with sertain friends and family.
but with my closest friends I'm a loose cannon about any kind of topic.
cause I know they'll respect my story as much as I do theirs.

Jan 25, 2009 6:06 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, I'm a quiet person. I guess it's because I'm shy. I'm not good with talking with people unless they're my friends, really. Otherwise, I kinda just get scared and don't bother.
Jan 25, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
In pubilc, i'm pretty shy, but at home and on MAL, i'm way too talkitive xD

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Jan 25, 2009 6:22 PM

May 2008
I think I'm in the middle, but I think its a combination of shyness / I don't always have anything interesting to say.
Jan 25, 2009 6:28 PM

Jun 2008
I'm quiet cuz it's my way of living as a samurai.

xD
Jan 25, 2009 6:29 PM

Feb 2008
silence is golden :P
Jan 25, 2009 6:44 PM

Mar 2008
Cookie-chan said:
In pubilc, i'm pretty shy, but at home and on MAL, i'm way too talkitive xD

Ive been mega talkative online

had a 10 hour conversation once
Jan 25, 2009 6:45 PM

Jul 2008
I'll have plenty of time to be quiet when I'm dead.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.