Forum Settings
Forums

Toonami to Feature 'Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance'

New
Aug 2, 2013 6:09 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
According to Toonami's tumblr, Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance will air on August 31st. Apart from this, there's also a "special little goodie" that viewers will find out about on 31st.

Evangelion 2.22 is the second of four films in Hideaki Anno's re-make of the famous Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series. It originally premiered in theaters in Japan on July 27, 2009 and internationally at the Hawaii International Film Festival on October 24, 2009. The third film, Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, is currently being screened at the Jpop Summit Festival 2013 in San Francisco.

Source: Toonami Tumblr Profile, ANN

Story by Dunois
NaruleachAug 7, 2013 9:09 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 2, 2013 6:35 AM

Nov 2011
Cool, I guess I might give this a try :3

Still can't wait for EVA 4 to debut in the future though.
Aug 2, 2013 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
And nobody will understand what's going on but pledge fandom to the series. Huzzah.
Aug 2, 2013 7:29 AM

Oct 2012
"special little goodie"

Sword Art Online season two? Nyehnyehnyeh.
\_/ O \_/
/ \
\ /
/¯\ O /¯\
Aug 2, 2013 8:18 AM

Oct 2012
The obvious "goodie" will be a BD/DVD release date for the third movie.
Aug 2, 2013 8:24 AM
Oct 2010
ovoon7 said:
And nobody will understand what's going on but pledge fandom to the series. Huzzah.

In 2.22? It's pretty straightforward what's happening there.
Aug 2, 2013 8:54 AM
Feb 2012
Very Good. ... even though I've seen this plenty of times, and wouldn't need to stay up all night since I've seen it.
Aug 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Dec 2009
Toonami keeps getting better and better!
Aug 2, 2013 9:42 AM

Sep 2011
I already saw this YEARS ago, lol.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 2, 2013 9:58 AM

Jun 2013
Glad Toonami is finally showing some more recent anime and how did they get there hands on SAO? Imho I think they did great job with the English Dub cant wait to see it all done.

To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward.↓↓

Aug 2, 2013 10:04 AM

Aug 2008
Great news for Toonami.
Aug 2, 2013 10:33 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
XxDuskMaidenxX said:
Glad Toonami is finally showing some more recent anime and how did they get there hands on SAO? Imho I think they did great job with the English Dub cant wait to see it all done.

Funimation probably did a deal with them to show it on Cartoon Network. For Funi getting it on TV is a big deal, as it could be a huge block buster (as it is already in anime fandom) but not so much as a big deal for Cartoon Network.
Aug 2, 2013 12:13 PM

Apr 2010
I will be watching...I didn't even know it was dubbed.
Aug 2, 2013 12:16 PM

Jan 2010
I call the 'goodie' being the announcement for the DVD/BR release of 3.33 in America.

Pleaseeeeeeee this year.
Aug 2, 2013 1:22 PM
Feb 2012
soulless4now said:
I will be watching...I didn't even know it was dubbed.

The dub was provided on DVD/Blu-ray since 2011. Not sure how you would not know that.
Though I haven't heard it in its entirety, but (according to what I've read in some posts on Evageeks forums) it turns out that the dub had some swear words that might not be heard on Toonami's airing. (I did recall seeing Evangelion 2.22 on the Funimation channel months ago (so yeah, Toonami's not the first airing), but at that point, I did not hear what was re-dubbed or edited.)

Pleaseeeeeeee this year.

I'd definitely say 2014. Sorry, mate, but that should be how it works considering how it was done for 1.11 and 2.22 (waiting a year after Japan's Blu-ray/DVD release)

XxDuskMaidenxX said:
and how did they get there hands on SAO?

Recently, Aniplex was able to do a bit of cooperation with Toonami. Aniplex at one point asked viewers what they want to be aired on Toonami: either this (I think), Fate/Zero (dub is now exclusive on Neon Alley) or Gurren Lagann (do want.)
filmftw1Aug 2, 2013 1:28 PM
Aug 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Feb 2009
Looking forward to the English Dubbing
I'am Thou And Thou Art I...And we're a HAPPY FAMILY!!!
Aug 2, 2013 5:27 PM

Feb 2009
GodlyKyon said:
I already saw this YEARS ago, lol.

lol same here

(Sorry for the double posting)
I'am Thou And Thou Art I...And we're a HAPPY FAMILY!!!
Aug 2, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2012
I already OWN this, the only thing that'd make me watch it with commercials is the "special little goodie" and even that I can get by checking in online. Toonami... You're gonna have to step up the game if you wanna impress me.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Aug 2, 2013 8:53 PM

Dec 2012
I agree that showing 2.22 is awesome, and I too want to hear about this special surprise, but this news is missing something. According to Crunchyroll, Star Wars Clone Wars will be replacing Eureka 7 in two weeks. I don't care what Toonami says, they're synonymous with airing popular ANIME! And by the way, Toonami rejected both Tiger & Bunny and Panty & Stocking to air this Clone Wars garbage!
Aug 2, 2013 8:55 PM
Oct 2010
mrbling252 said:
I agree that showing 2.22 is awesome, and I too want to hear about this special surprise, but this news is missing something. According to Crunchyroll, Star Wars Clone Wars will be replacing Eureka 7 in two weeks. I don't care what Toonami says, they're synonymous with airing popular ANIME! And by the way, Toonami rejected both Tiger & Bunny and Panty & Stocking to air this Clone Wars garbage!

Clone Wars is a pretty good show, not sure why you are hating on it.
Aug 2, 2013 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
more publicity more potential profit for the anime makers to make more anime
Aug 2, 2013 8:57 PM
Aug 2012
Raikenzera said:
I already OWN this, the only thing that'd make me watch it with commercials is the "special little goodie" and even that I can get by checking in online. Toonami... You're gonna have to step up the game if you wanna impress me.

Congratulations you can check it online... Which is what everybody else on this site can do as well. It's not about impressing people who torrent this shit illegally, it's about bringing in viewers and ratings.
Aug 2, 2013 9:43 PM

Sep 2011
It's great news that Eva 2.22 is going to air on Toonami! Eva 1.11 did really well back in March with little advertisement, so 2.22 should do fine with promos airing a week or so before it airs. If 2.22 does well, they will show more movies such as 3.33. They talked about a "special goodie" back in March when 1.11 aired and it was just some music videos, so don't get your hopes up. But, they may have something really exciting planned!

As for Clone Wars, they already owned the rights to it and its new to Toonami. If it doesn't do well on the block, its not a huge loss. If it does well, all its going to do is bring more profit in to acquire more shows to broadcast.
Aug 2, 2013 9:53 PM

Mar 2013
Darkness44 said:

I won't accept Toonami again until they show Subs & drop Dubs. Dub is Sacrilege.
Aug 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Sep 2011
Subbed anime on TV lead to bad ratings, which will lead to Toonami's demise, which will eventually lead to the death of anime on TV. Subtitled anime is never going to happen on Toonami or any other network that's not made to show foreign programming.
Aug 2, 2013 10:33 PM
Jul 2010
Kyoycz said:

Yeah I didn't think of that, but now it seems obvious that is probably it.
Aug 2, 2013 11:07 PM
Oct 2010
kion said:
I call the 'goodie' being the announcement for the DVD/BR release of 3.33 in America.

Pleaseeeeeeee this year.

itll be announced only for funi to push the date back a month haha. i guess they could throw in a trailer/release date for 3.33, which i already have anyway

will watch. great movie.
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Aug 3, 2013 6:29 AM

May 2010
j0x said:

Better make a good anime to see unless they just want to burn money.
Aug 3, 2013 9:20 AM

Jan 2011
broodo said:
Darkness44 said:

I won't accept Toonami again until they show Subs & drop Dubs. Dub is Sacrilege.

Toonami has always been dubs so you're basically saying you never accepted them to begin with.

Akatsubaki said:
j0x said:

Better make a good anime to see unless they just want to burn money.

They announced what they will be working on earlier this year:
1 adaptation and 2 original anime
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=573513&redirect=1
Houkago no Pleiades movie
http://myanimelist.net/anime/17919/Houkago_no_Pleiades_Movie
and Sequel to Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=573457
VioLinkAug 3, 2013 10:09 AM
[center]
Aug 3, 2013 9:43 AM
Feb 2012
broodo said:
Darkness44 said:

Ain't gonna happen. Toonami was always providing dubs for Anime since the beginning, cause... it's aired on an American channel, on a kid's channel no less (despite Toonami/Adult Swim airing some content intended for older audiences late at night), so... yeah, no chance of Original Language with subtitles on Toonami.

... and fyi, some dubs aren't always considered "sacrilege". There are a few good ones that can be as entertaining as the original. Yes, I know many would prefer the original, but when one option is only provided for the time being, better get used to dubbing, then.

AstralAxolotl said:
There's no point to showing subbed anime on TV. Anime fans who watch subs just download them a day after they air in Japan anyway.

... or buy it on DVD/Blu if one would not want to use streaming. ... can be a bit more handy than streaming when you think about it.
filmftw1Aug 3, 2013 9:46 AM
Aug 3, 2013 11:15 AM
Dec 2009
Kokiri-Kid said:
Subbed anime on TV lead to bad ratings, which will lead to Toonami's demise, which will eventually lead to the death of anime on TV. Subtitled anime is never going to happen on Toonami or any other network that's not made to show foreign programming.

Eh! what makes you so sure about that?

Aug 3, 2013 1:06 PM

Jun 2009
If I have to listen to something like Goku's annoying squealing voice on Toonami, then sayonara to Japanese audio.

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Aug 3, 2013 2:14 PM

Sep 2011
kandiiyuutaamu said:
Kokiri-Kid said:

The Toonami staff said it themselves that subbed anime will never happen and would cause a ratings nightmare. If Toonami doesn't get enough good ratings, say goodbye to it and any new anime pickups on Adult Swim.
Aug 3, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2011
If you want subbed anime, Toonami is not the place for you. Places such as Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Daisuki are the places to go for that. All of those sites are free and money will go to the anime industry when you watch episodes there.
Aug 3, 2013 2:27 PM

Aug 2012
I guess finally done with re runs of DBZ?
cool I guess
Aug 3, 2013 3:41 PM

Oct 2011
They should air the 3rd one
Aug 3, 2013 4:08 PM
Oct 2011
Avato-chan said:

Agreed. I imagine they will though since they will have aired both the first two if they really are airing this at the end of the month. :)
Aug 3, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
But I sumbitted this just a few days ago....
Oh well.

This is great news anyway! I loved Evangelion 1.11. They aired it on Toonami earlier this year, I believe.
Dissapointed that the thing replacing Eureka Seven is Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
Was hoping for Eureka Seven AO. Guess it was too soon. Oh well. I heard they are skipping some Clone Wars episodes. Would've preferred if they aired the older Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, and not the CGI one.
Brand said:

Funimation probably did a deal with them to show it on Cartoon Network. For Funi getting it on TV is a big deal, as it could be a huge block buster (as it is already in anime fandom) but not so much as a big deal for Cartoon Network.

SAO is held by Aniplex, not Funimation.
Felchenerow said:
Looking forward to the English Dubbing

Its been English dubbed and out on DVD/Bluray with an English dub for a while now.
Aug 3, 2013 8:23 PM
Feb 2012
Avato-chan said:

I have a feeling they will, but:
1) English dub has to be announced
2) American Blu-ray/DVD would be released first
3) Wait either less than a year or more than a year from the DVD/Blu-ray release to be seen on Toonami.
Aug 4, 2013 3:36 AM
Dec 2009
Kokiri-Kid said:
kandiiyuutaamu said:
Kokiri-Kid said:

The Toonami staff said it themselves that subbed anime will never happen and would cause a ratings nightmare. If Toonami doesn't get enough good ratings, say goodbye to it and any new anime pickups on Adult Swim.

Does that have something to do with the voicing and stuff, if so then could it be that the people from America are not of listening to any foreign languages?

Aug 4, 2013 6:23 AM

Mar 2013
Hoping the surprise is Toonami airing NGE again.
Aug 4, 2013 4:12 PM
Oct 2011
Battlechili1 said:
But I sumbitted this just a few days ago....
Oh well.

This is great news anyway! I loved Evangelion 1.11. They aired it on Toonami earlier this year, I believe.
Dissapointed that the thing replacing Eureka Seven is Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
Was hoping for Eureka Seven AO. Guess it was too soon. Oh well. I heard they are skipping some Clone Wars episodes. Would've preferred if they aired the older Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, and not the CGI one.

Totally agree, would have much preferred Eureka Seven AO, and I really thought that they were going to do it since they re-aired Eureka Seven so soon after AO was announced that I thought they were definitely planning to smoothly run them back-to-back. Perhaps it really is just too soon since the first set is only just coming out in August or maybe it will be the next addition and they just didn't want to run it starting in the summer?

I enjoyed Clone Wars, it was ok, but always prefer anime over other additions if possible.
DangerMouseDMAug 4, 2013 5:22 PM
Aug 5, 2013 6:52 AM

Nov 2008
not a bad move there toonami
Aug 23, 2013 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4012e0f26a04a09d939b096d00ef5889/tumblr_ms014dzibd1rehkdzo1_500.png
Toonami is apparently going to have a tv premiere after Eva. As to what it is, I don't know.
Aug 31, 2013 4:18 PM

Sep 2010
Kyoycz said:

that would make sense but I doubt it since if it was an actually release date or even a trailer for 3.33 then Funi would be hyping the special that comes on after 2.22. And Funi hasn't been promoting much, they only mentioned it once on the main site with no mention of the special, on face book they mention it more times but call it a special screening of 2.22 which doesn't mention a special coming on afterwards, on twitter they mention it will be airing but no mention of a special. So if it was a 3.33 release date or trailer they would be promoting the special in addition to 2.22 in all likely hood it is something related to Toonami like a new show or something. Would be cool if it was a announcement for adding NGE to the line up.
Aug 31, 2013 4:19 PM
Aug 2013
haven't seen the movie, so that's good i guess?
Aug 31, 2013 4:24 PM
Aug 2013
GoldenthunderBRS said:
haven't seen the movie, so that's good i guess?

It's surprisingly good for something that's meant to milk.
Aug 31, 2013 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
Yup, it's going to run tonight:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-31/evangelion-2.22-runs-on-adult-swim-toonami-tonight

I'll pass on this though since I have seen the movie before.
Sep 1, 2013 12:25 AM

Jan 2011
I am currently watching this now, they are also showing kick heart! tonight!
[center]
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 22 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
22 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
3 hours ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - Yesterday

0 by Aiimee »»
Yesterday, 10:47 AM

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

17 by Synrax »»
Yesterday, 10:30 AM

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Announces Additional Staff, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

0 by DatRandomDude »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.