Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2013 8:36 AM

Jul 2007
ihateeveryone said:
kaimax said:
precious said:
as well as that nerdy guy (just looked it up - his name is Togami)..

Not nerdy though, he's the Super Duper Highschool Scion/Heir, coming from a wealthy and noble family who controls Japan from the backgrounds.

He's also my husband, don't forget that.

He's my fucking husband.

Is that another spoiler considering your forum icon or am I just looking into this too far?
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Jul 6, 2013 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
Ani-Blast said:
ihateeveryone said:
kaimax said:
precious said:
as well as that nerdy guy (just looked it up - his name is Togami)..

Not nerdy though, he's the Super Duper Highschool Scion/Heir, coming from a wealthy and noble family who controls Japan from the backgrounds.

He's also my husband, don't forget that.

He's my fucking husband.

Is that another spoiler considering your forum icon or am I just looking into this too far?
its a spoiler but not in the way you are thinking of it, It'll make sense around probably episode 5ish

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 6, 2013 8:50 AM

Jan 2008
I haven't played the game so I can't relate to the hype. For first time watcher, the animation is so-so. The tones gave me mixed feelings about them but I am guessing those were faithfully adapted from the game. Some character designs were not as vibrant as I imagined to be. The coloring and details I had in mind were exactly shown in the middle of the episode but animating them will probably difficult or rather expensive to execute. I actually looked forward to this because of the synopsis and VAs but probably this is not for me for someone who prepares execution like that of BTOOOM. For now, I'll forego from this. I might pick this up again or when I feel like continuing it.
Jul 6, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2008
This has a much more light-hearted feel to it than what I was expecting. Interesting style to the show. Definitely going to watch more.
Jul 6, 2013 9:14 AM

Nov 2011
Seems like it'll be fun. Wacky characters, bizarre situation. Kinda like High School of the Dead or Gantz. I enjoyed it.
Jul 6, 2013 11:14 AM
Feb 2013
oh ok so I definitely have to get used to it a way but I feel like this show will be very enjoyable for me haha!
uhm i don't consider this a spoiler because I only know as much as you guys do but come on maizono is the one most likely to kill someone first here.
Jul 6, 2013 11:38 AM

Jun 2008
Title is too long.
Jul 6, 2013 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
I thought that this was a good first episode. Not the best but still good. I really like that characters of Danganronpa(expect the idol one. Her type ones always annoy me). All of them are different so that's good. Also the voice acting is really good(Miyuki Sawashiro, Ishida Akira etc.). The animation was good and I liked the art style. It's different. The OP was nice change since it is instrumental and the main OST. The ED was great! It reminded me of a Vocaloid song and it's nice to hear Soraru in anime. I'm really looking foward to this. I expect that someone dies in the next episode.
Jul 6, 2013 12:29 PM
May 2012
It was ok, the settings is rather dull,imo. it's liking watching a weird and lighter version of Battle royale.

Jul 6, 2013 12:50 PM

Jul 2010
I'm fucking loving this. It's pretty promising, also, Monokuma reminds me Kyuubey somehow.
Jul 6, 2013 1:00 PM
Dec 2010
OMG THIS SHOW IZ AWESOMEZ
Jul 6, 2013 1:01 PM

Oct 2011
Oh, would you look at that, another generic protagonist.

Claudio Sanchez is that you?

who are you to change this world? silly boy.
Jul 6, 2013 1:12 PM

May 2012
I feel like it's going to turn into "Another" where the characters go insane and kill each other.
Jul 6, 2013 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
imo the first episode was pretty horrible and there really weren't any redeeming qualities for me. i don't like dropping shows after only the first episode so i might watch the second and see what happens
Jul 6, 2013 1:33 PM

Sep 2012
That opening was trippy as hell. This seems like it could potentially be really interesting. I've heard good things about Danganronpa from the people who played the game, so I hope that the adaptation manages to stay faithful and we get to see this at it's full potential. There's never been anything wrong with the whole "survival game" concept, just needs to be executed properly.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jul 6, 2013 1:47 PM

Dec 2012
It was weird but interesting. I'm hoping for it to get even better :)
Jul 6, 2013 2:31 PM

Jan 2010
Akanezora said:
I'm fucking loving this. It's pretty promising, also, Monokuma reminds me Kyuubey somehow.

Agreed. Although Monokuma makes Kyuubey look like a cute innocent pet in comparison.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2013 2:52 PM

Feb 2013
First of all when I saw that anmie on MAL as recommendation I didn't think it would be a summer 2013 release :o

Anyway ... first episode pretty weird, interesting, shocking and totally ridic!

But the "main" character, if there even is such a thing as main character, seems pretty clumsy and childish & the love story between him and the other girl ... well ...but not only that ... also the other characters in general are pretty young and quite some weirdos ... still interesting and mysterious somehow ... even though it seems too childish to me right now :|

Made me lol somehow, since I was thinking about Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke :p

I really don't know yet what to think about the show so far it might not even become a decent one, but at the end of the day it's quite a OK show to watch ... I guess :p
Jul 6, 2013 2:57 PM

Mar 2011
So glad they kept the background music from the game, I loved the soundtrack. So far it's really faithful, so glad I finally get to see my babies animated oh my god
And I think Monokuma is pretty much the best villain ever.
Jul 6, 2013 3:04 PM
Feb 2012
This almost reminds me of when Madoka Magica first came out and a lot of people were judging it as a generic magical girl anime from the first episode. I feel like after that people would have learned to stop assuming they know what a show is like from the first episode alone.

Especially with the people who think it is anything like Battle Royale.
HiddenDoorwayJul 6, 2013 3:08 PM
Jul 6, 2013 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
That was a good first episode, looks like there's gonna be a lot of sad moments since most of the chracters are likeable.
Jul 6, 2013 3:59 PM

Oct 2010
Man, playing the game had me at the edge of my seat. Anime better not screw this up. Although good, the first episode was a bit rushed. If they continue with fast character build up, the audience won't feel anything when death strikes. And they shouldn't shorten the exploration and visiting all the rooms.
Jul 6, 2013 4:27 PM

Feb 2013
My initial thought was "WTF" at the opening sequence. Certainly interesting so far.
Jul 6, 2013 4:34 PM
Jul 2012
Dangerous_Boy said:
i'm just mad they went with super duper instead of super highschool level, and that hagakure was called shaman and not fortuneteller

That depends on the sub you're watching, in mine it said "super highschool level"
Jul 6, 2013 4:57 PM
Dec 2012
not bad :/
Jul 6, 2013 5:53 PM

Aug 2012
First episode was okay, personally I like the character designs as they are for the most part pretty unique. Another anime that should be worth watching more-so for entertainment than good writing.

Really tough to find a great anime this season :(.
Jul 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Feb 2012
This is one of shows I was looking forward to the most this summer, and it didn't let me down. I like how it feels faithful to the game (I haven't played it so I can't tell) from storyline, to OSTs. ED theme is good as expected like on its CM.
Jul 6, 2013 7:43 PM
Sep 2011
As someone who's had to put up with a certain two people gushing about the games, it was only a matter of time before I ended up watching this. I've already read a ton of spoilers from the games, so I'm pretty aware of what the deal is.

The first minute of the show made me go "..What am I watching?"

Most of the characters are fairly likable, with Makoto, Byakuya, and Kyouko being my top three. The only thing that made me express disgust is Monobear's voice. It's incredibly grating, but not enough to put me off from watching.

7/10.
Jul 6, 2013 8:10 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty good! I was happily surprised. At the beginning of the episode I didn't like it much. But really, the animation/art style sucks. It's typical boy shounen, but has this weird creepy flavor to it, and I'm really not enjoying it. But gosh, by the end of the episode, that monobear was really creeping me out. This is intense, which is unusual for most of the shows this season, but it's pretty nice. It has that exciting, foreboding, survival aspect to it, which always attracts viewers. I hope this keeps going well !!

The pacing at the beginning was terrible though. But this is a pretty bad season, so you take what you can. xP
Jul 6, 2013 8:56 PM

Nov 2012
first episode.. hee.. not really bad..
the art is kind look like persona 4 :3

I'm interest with celestia and hyoko :3 damn some badass girl show up XD
Jul 6, 2013 9:11 PM

May 2011
I really enjoyed the first episode! I don't know what it is like compared to the game since I haven't played, but I honestly cannot wait for more. I love survival anime!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2013 9:14 PM

Mar 2013
Man, this looks great [read: fucking crazy]. It's like they took the protagonist from Naughty Bear, spray painted him monochrome, mainlined him meth, and gave him a whole school/arena of character archetypes to fuck with.
Really, it’s refreshing to have a nice anime that doesn’t take itself too seriously once in a while and considering the character designs, one student looking like he came out of Street Fighter, you can tell this one definitely doesn’t.

I don't trust the blue-haired girl though. I know that what's his face is only thinking about going balls-deep, and rightly so, but he needs to watch out; this doesn't seem like the type of anime where a pretty young thang like herself just falls for the bland male lead.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jul 6, 2013 9:45 PM

Feb 2010
DStev said:
First episode was okay, personally I like the character designs as they are for the most part pretty unique. Another anime that should be worth watching more-so for entertainment than good writing.

There's more to the writing than meets the eye. Having played through the first chapter of the game, I can say that's true. Can't vouch for the rest of the game, since I'm still only through chapter one. But, things are about to get interesting.
Jul 6, 2013 10:00 PM

Sep 2011
MaikShin said:
DStev said:

There's more to the writing than meets the eye. Having played through the first chapter of the game, I can say that's true. Can't vouch for the rest of the game, since I'm still only through chapter one. But, things are about to get interesting.
Wait you though chapter 1 was interesting? Well then your gonna love the rest of the game, chapter 1 is pretty weak in my oppinion, it was too easy to solve mainly cause its a tutorial more than anything. I'm hoping they make it a bit harder in the anime but ill need to wait and see of course

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 6, 2013 10:27 PM
Jan 2012
Holy shit. That animation quality. Especially with the intros.

And such a crazy plot. I love it.
Jul 6, 2013 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
MaikShin said:
DStev said:

Wait you though chapter 1 was interesting? Well then your gonna love the rest of the game, chapter 1 is pretty weak in my oppinion, it was too easy to solve mainly cause its a tutorial more than anything. I'm hoping they make it a bit harder in the anime but ill need to wait and see of course

It was really easy. I had figured out most of the murder's secrets as soon as I saw the 'message'. By that, I mean, I figured out the who done it part. I really loved the twist the came with it. Very interested to see it animated.
Jul 6, 2013 11:15 PM

Jul 2013
Good job. Somehow they made Maizono less annoying than I found her to be in the game. All the characters look pretty faithful to the game, especially Togami baby.
Jul 7, 2013 2:47 AM

Jul 2010
ED theme is good .It's more like Btoom!.Good series. 5/5
Jul 7, 2013 2:53 AM

Mar 2013
Loving the first episode. The plot is interesting, even the "survive game" thing it's kinda common in anime. Too much suspense, I got a lot of questions in my mind, and I can't wait for the next episode to see if I can answer those.
Jul 7, 2013 3:12 AM

Dec 2012
Why is the main character voiced by shinji it almost makes me want to drop this. Other than that it's pretty good all the characters are likable in a way. 4/5.
Jul 7, 2013 5:01 AM

Jun 2008
Wretched_Fujoshi said:
All the characters look pretty faithful to the game, especially Togami baby.

lol, Dangan Ronpa 2.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 7, 2013 5:09 AM

May 2013
Not bad, nor that good tho. Anyhow, I wanna give it a chance.
Monokuma's seiyuu = Doraemon's seiyuu?
NAEGI'S SEIYUU. MEGUMI OGATA IS BACK HERE A~ GAIN~
Jul 7, 2013 5:45 AM

Jul 2012
kaimax said:
Wretched_Fujoshi said:
All the characters look pretty faithful to the game, especially Togami baby.

lol, Dangan Ronpa 2.

Shhhh let's not talk about that.
Jul 7, 2013 5:45 AM

Jun 2007
I haven't played the game. Based on the setting, this might seem like a very good story though - in visual novel format. But judging solely by the first episode of the anime, I didn't quite like it. Here were my problems:

1) it seemed rushed. As in - some explanations seemed to have been cut (sure, I got what the story was about, but a little bit of background info wouldn't have hurt) and the transitions seemed just too sudden (where did the whole pokedex-like agenda come from? Why did Super Idol Girl just suddenly act ridiculously nice to Super Plain Guy - and where the hell did his determination to get HER out come from? Why did Delinquent Guy just suddenly turn out nice? etc.)
2) the characters. I didn't really like the way they were introduced. Sure, this might work perfectly in a visual novel - but not in an anime. First, because the transitions in the anime were probably way faster than the amount of time it must have taken to read about each chara in the novel - so by the time the next one spoke in the anime, I'd already forgotten who the previous one was. Second, because I as a viewer knew as much as the main chara knew - and it was just plain weird that he entered a room with people he's never known before and he just suddenly magically and miraculously knew everybody's name. Why??? And third - because they seemed so ridiculously stereotypical - both in appearance, voice and behaviour - that I really am not sure whether that is a subtle and intelligent move to hide the fact that there is much more to them than meets the eye or if it's simply really horrible character design.

Again, having not played the game, I am not sure whether these two problems are just adaptation decay and the story in itself is actually really good (because the concept does seem like something I'd enjoy) or if that is indeed how the story unfolds - rushed and with things happening just because.

3) the art. I just don't really like the way the characters look - I find their art design plain ugly. But then that is just my biased view and I can overlook the art if the story gets better enough.

Overall, I will keep watching for a while, even though I am not that into it.
Jul 7, 2013 7:02 AM
Mar 2012
I must say, one thing pissed me to the extreme in this episode and that's the mc. So freaking generic I want to gouge my eyes out. I know that anime isn't supposed to grow with the viewer since what's overused for someone might be new for another but it's so painful, especially when he looks like your usual japanese shut in, enough with the freaking self insertion. Oh God and the usual promise scene with a mentally broken beautiful idol coming into the weak waste of space mc's arms, out of all the men in the anime, I hate this illogical bs.
Oh and guess who's not going to die before the others. Let's just watch some random characters kill eachother through the plot armored mc's eyes and his doll. I'll laugh my ass off if what remains is the mc and his harem or if he becomes the leader of the group and everyone reveres him for his nonexistant qualities . So thrilling I can't wait.
Jul 7, 2013 8:54 AM

Feb 2010
Sii_Kei said:
I haven't played the game. Based on the setting, this might seem like a very good story though - in visual novel format. But judging solely by the first episode of the anime, I didn't quite like it. Here were my problems:

1) it seemed rushed. As in - some explanations seemed to have been cut (sure, I got what the story was about, but a little bit of background info wouldn't have hurt) and the transitions seemed just too sudden (where did the whole pokedex-like agenda come from? Why did Super Idol Girl just suddenly act ridiculously nice to Super Plain Guy - and where the hell did his determination to get HER out come from? Why did Delinquent Guy just suddenly turn out nice? etc.)
2) the characters. I didn't really like the way they were introduced. Sure, this might work perfectly in a visual novel - but not in an anime. First, because the transitions in the anime were probably way faster than the amount of time it must have taken to read about each chara in the novel - so by the time the next one spoke in the anime, I'd already forgotten who the previous one was. Second, because I as a viewer knew as much as the main chara knew - and it was just plain weird that he entered a room with people he's never known before and he just suddenly magically and miraculously knew everybody's name. Why??? And third - because they seemed so ridiculously stereotypical - both in appearance, voice and behaviour - that I really am not sure whether that is a subtle and intelligent move to hide the fact that there is much more to them than meets the eye or if it's simply really horrible character design.

Again, having not played the game, I am not sure whether these two problems are just adaptation decay and the story in itself is actually really good (because the concept does seem like something I'd enjoy) or if that is indeed how the story unfolds - rushed and with things happening just because.

3) the art. I just don't really like the way the characters look - I find their art design plain ugly. But then that is just my biased view and I can overlook the art if the story gets better enough.

Overall, I will keep watching for a while, even though I am not that into it.

1. For this part, yeah they had more time to develop characters in the game. They have a part of the game called 'Free Time' where you get to just go around and learn more about the characters. I'd imagine they would be able to do that if they had got the anime for 18 or 24 episodes instead of 13. They especially explore Sayaka more.

2. I didn't mind the introductions myself, but that part is about preference. Also, I'll let you in on something. In the game, they did some backstory on the main character. The Main Character did research on who the new students were on a message board before entering the school. That would be why he knows something about everyone. I don't see any issue with saying anything about that since the game delved into that at the beginning.
The stereotype seems to be pretty important. I think you'll understand what I mean in these next couple episodes.
Jul 7, 2013 9:53 AM

Mar 2010
I didn't want to sift through 20+ pages so hopefully someone hasn't asked this yet. But in the description from MAL it says

"The only way to graduate is to kill one of your classmates and get away with it. If the other classmates discover the identity of the killer, the killer is the only one executed. However, if they fail to catch the killer, only the killer graduates and the others are annihilated."

Was this part not explained yet? Because it seems like the first episode just tells you that when you kill someone you get to leave.

Also I wish you got to see what was on everyone else's dvd's towards the end there. But something tells me the principle made fake videos for these students just to get them to kill each other.
Jul 7, 2013 9:57 AM

May 2011
Reminds me a lot of Mirai Nikki so far.
Jul 7, 2013 10:04 AM

Sep 2011
Muchan said:
I didn't want to sift through 20+ pages so hopefully someone hasn't asked this yet. But in the description from MAL it says

"The only way to graduate is to kill one of your classmates and get away with it. If the other classmates discover the identity of the killer, the killer is the only one executed. However, if they fail to catch the killer, only the killer graduates and the others are annihilated."

Was this part not explained yet? Because it seems like the first episode just tells you that when you kill someone you get to leave.

It was not explained yet, monobear says this after the first death occurs. But yes that is a thing

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 7, 2013 10:09 AM

Sep 2011
Anyone else alittle ticked off that it's basically a copy and paste of the game? I mean, I'm all for faithfulness but this is just ridiculous. They have the exact same postures and everything. It feels more like a "Let's Play!" than a "Animation" Also, I finished the game 2 days ago so I already know everything that's gonna happen, so following along was no problem for me, but I couldn't help but wonder... where anime only viewers alittle lost/overwhelmed? I mean, everything happened so fast. Their were hardly any introductions. Also, we didn't get introduced to the characters one at a time and hardly got any info on there back story, which are important clues later on, so I can't felt but feel anime only viewers are completely lost. Sure, they explained the basic premise in this episode, but we didn't get the class rules or anything.

Also, just putting this out there, but I finished the game in 2/3 days, and ever since first playing it I've fallen madly in love with Monokuma (no homo) but I seriously think he's the greatest villain ever created. He's so sarcastically serious it's scary. Not to mention his comments are funny as hell. The light-hearted vibe he gives to everything is almost sickening considering the mood. and I LOVE every second of it.

MONOKUMA FOR THE WIN!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

434 by Jax »»
Feb 7, 5:07 AM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.