Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece to Premier on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 19, 2013 3:22 AM

Dec 2009
GoldenBRS said:
Ginji said:
sigh so much fail

op & ed not played all the way...
voice actors don't fit the characters at all (usopp and robin were fine imo)
being rated as a children's show...

one piece didn't need an English dub, the dvds would come out faster if they weren't wasting time dubbing it = ="

That's how toonami is for all shows cutting the op and ed themes.

I know but they didn't cut bleach op at all
May 19, 2013 3:29 AM

Dec 2011
TaquishaJohnson said:
One Piece <i>is</i> a children's show, suitable for kids 7+, and you're hilarious if you genuinely believe otherwise. You're similarly ridiculous if you honestly think Cartoon Network would ever air subtitled anime.
Maybe the English version but this is so wrong for the Japanese version. If you watch op you would know that it has a lot of cussing and a good amount of blood. Also it has some fanservice moments and a couple of mature themes. If anything it is rated pg-13, it's wrong to make it out for 7 year olds, this just shows how bad censorship is in American dubs a lot of the time. They took a perfectly good show meant for teens and made it for children.
May 19, 2013 5:28 AM

Jul 2011
Adult schedule sucks, 1:00am?! Oh well, better than nothing.
May 19, 2013 5:59 AM

May 2010
I'm not American so it means nohing to me, but I'll admit that I really liked FUNimation openings and endings, some were really good in English.
May 19, 2013 9:20 AM

May 2013
i tried watching it but fell asleep during the break.
May 19, 2013 9:30 AM

Oct 2012
Ragix said:

Can I just say your signature gif is highly distracting. I only read the first few words and began to watch the the girl smother herself in the other girl's breasts over and over..

Great news.

time to open up an incognito window.

lol. I take it you haven't watched Shinsekai Yori yet? That or you dropped it in the beginning.

One Piece back on Toonami...wonder how that'll go.......

May 19, 2013 9:32 AM
Jul 2012
It will be terrible. Watch.
May 19, 2013 10:11 AM
Feb 2013
Ginji said:
op & ed not played all the way...

Aah.. I thought the OP was short.

This was my first OP episode, so yeah. I'm not fond of dubbed anime, but I figured I'd get my feet wet with OP on Tonnami for a bit.

GoldenBRS said:
That's how toonami is for all shows cutting the op and ed themes.

No it isn't. Bleach has always shown the full OP, Soul Eater does as well. Naruto does, but it's not the original OP anyway; I hope Toonami won't cut when it starts playing the original OP's.
May 19, 2013 10:27 AM
Feb 2012
Never really cared much One Piece, but left Toonami on overnight for support anyway. Toonami needs to get more popularity and shows overtime. Having One Piece recently shows that there can be better potential.
Adult schedule sucks, 1:00am?! Oh well, better than nothing.

Blame CN for this one. CN won't show this type of Anime anymore. (god I miss the good ol' days... except today's Toonami has less worries on censorship unlike the past) Adult Swim is the only best spot for Anime that's meant to be for the older audiences to be.
filmftw1May 19, 2013 10:30 AM
May 19, 2013 10:32 AM

Apr 2007
People pay attention to TV show ratings?
grumpytoast said:
TaquishaJohnson said:
One Piece <i>is</i> a children's show, suitable for kids 7+, and you're hilarious if you genuinely believe otherwise. You're similarly ridiculous if you honestly think Cartoon Network would ever air subtitled anime.
Maybe the English version but this is so wrong for the Japanese version. If you watch op you would know that it has a lot of cussing and a good amount of blood. Also it has some fanservice moments and a couple of mature themes. If anything it is rated pg-13, it's wrong to make it out for 7 year olds, this just shows how bad censorship is in American dubs a lot of the time. They took a perfectly good show meant for teens and made it for children.
You obviously haven't watched any of the Funimation dubbed episodes. There is no extra censorship whatsoever, it's completely uncut. There was a time that they did two recordings, one that was a little censored and switched Zoro/Zolo, but that was a few years ago when it aired at an earlier time and since it stopped airing I don't believe they do it anymore. There's no point in censoring when it's on so late anyway.

taydev said:
Bleach has always shown the full OP, Soul Eater does as well
No Soul Eater's OP/EDs are cut as well :v The shows have a time limit, they can't help it sometimes.
May 19, 2013 11:29 AM

May 2009
kisami said:
now...is this the crappy version that has luffy's voice sounding like you wanna take a well sharpened pencil and sticking it in your brain stem?

This Funimation dub imo is actually pretty well done, the 4kids dub is what most people complain about
GoldenBRS said:
It will be terrible. Watch.

It was on CN before and it did fine, starting at 207 won't affect too many people as One Piece can be started on almost any episode to attract the audience (well besides 1 or 2 crappy filler arcs, but even the filler is better than most Shounen). Funimation usually makes good dubs anyway and I've watched the one piece funimation dub up to 156 and it's been good so far.
TachiiMay 19, 2013 4:07 PM
May 19, 2013 12:26 PM
Oct 2010
yay new background noise
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 19, 2013 1:09 PM

Jan 2012
rpn101 said:
kisami said:
now...is this the crappy version that has luffy's voice sounding like you wanna take a well sharpened pencil and sticking it in your brain stem?

This Funimation dub imo is actually pretty well done, the 4kids dub is what most people complain about

As someone who started with the dub, I probably am biased...but I vastly prefer the dub to the sub. Luffy's voice is annoying either way.

On the news, I've always treated it as a good and bad thing. Good: the new character designs aren't here yet, and Water 7 is one of the best arcs of the series. Bad: Soul Eater is later, the "arc" before Water 7 is boring, and any good non-shonen series won't begin until at LEAST 1:30.

Oh well, can't win everything.
May 19, 2013 1:13 PM

May 2012
Ragix said:

Can I just say your signature gif is highly distracting. I only read the first few words and began to watch the the girl smother herself in the other girl's breasts over and over..
It's like as if you took those words right out of my mouth.

Hopefully OP becomes even more popular :)
May 19, 2013 1:49 PM

Sep 2012
theyre starting with 207 cause thats when one piece went widescreen
May 19, 2013 3:20 PM
Dec 2012
Only thing I can say is I was annoyed about the time slot. Longer wait of Soul Eater by 30 minutes. The torture D:
May 19, 2013 3:28 PM

Nov 2011
Takei_Hisa said:
Ragix said:

Great news.

time to open up an incognito window.

lol. I take it you haven't watched Shinsekai Yori yet? That or you dropped it in the beginning.

Not yet. I'm aware of the part that is so controversial about it though, but I could care less. I just need to find the time to sit down and watch it all.

Mkayyy said:
It's like as if you took those words right out of my mouth.

Hopefully OP becomes even more popular :)

That's not all I took from your mouth. ;D
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 19, 2013 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
I kind of already made a thread about this. :/
Anyways, One Piece is starting at episode 207 because it will be able to be aired in HD, plus Toonami already aired One Piece years ago.
Not only that, but since its only one episode a night, starting from the beginning would make this show last even longer than it already does.
That said, I'm not happy that its not starting at the beginning either.
They apparently are trying to help though by making videos explaining what's happened so far in One Piece.
Monochrome said:

Yes, because if a show gets really good ratings, Toonami can improve and air more shows and have more content. If a show gets really bad ratings, they might go so far as to take it off the air. Not that that's happened yet on the modern Toonami.
removed-userMay 19, 2013 4:16 PM
May 19, 2013 4:10 PM

Dec 2011
Monochrome said:
grumpytoast said:
TaquishaJohnson said:
You obviously haven't watched any of the Funimation dubbed episodes. There is no extra censorship whatsoever, it's completely uncut. There was a time that they did two recordings, one that was a little censored and switched Zoro/Zolo, but that was a few years ago when it aired at an earlier time and since it stopped airing I don't believe they do it anymore. There's no point in censoring when it's on so late anyway.

I started watching op through the funimation dub, I believe it is actually pretty good and close to the original to. When I talk about op being ruined by the dub I mean 4kids. Which made most people believe most without even watching the show, that op is a kids show.
May 20, 2013 12:32 AM

Jan 2013
I guess Toonami realized if they started all the way back at ep 1, it would take them...well...who knows how long to go through each and every episode of One Piece...besides, it'll never end.

May 20, 2013 3:55 AM
Jul 2018
bakaboy said:
I guess Toonami realized if they started all the way back at ep 1, it would take them...well...who knows how long to go through each and every episode of One Piece...besides, it'll never end.

Basically, this. I'd love it if they started at episode 1.
But with such a long show, doing so would be ridiculous. Even at episode 200+ its still an insanely large amount of episodes to go through.
May 20, 2013 8:12 AM

Nov 2010
bakaboy said:
How is that a bad thing? It's especially good if it becomes popular.

Battlechili1 said:
But with such a long show, doing so would be ridiculous. Even at episode 200+ its still an insanely large amount of episodes to go through.
Well that matters how long it takes for them to dub, there's only about 60 episodes dubbed from where they are.
May 20, 2013 8:14 AM
Jul 2012
Battlechili1 said:
bakaboy said:

That's why they should not do this idea in the first place. Too much crap.
May 20, 2013 8:39 AM

Nov 2010
GoldenBRS said:
Battlechili1 said:
bakaboy said:

That's why they should not do this idea in the first place. Too much crap.
Too much crap?
May 20, 2013 9:12 AM

Feb 2012
You can't really start back a episode 1, it would be over a year before you got any real action going since it's basically all back story for awhile I'm not saying that 's a bad thing in fact I loved the beginning of One Piece, especially Sanji's story, but it wouldn't really fit in with Toonami. I just thought it weird the episode they started on. There's barely any point to the Davy Back fights on the actual storyline. I would have just skipped over all those episodes and start right as the crew is heading into Water 7.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
May 20, 2013 10:53 AM

Apr 2007
Battlechili1 said:
I was referring to TV ratings like PG, PG-13, etc. Which is what people were complaining about on the previous page.
May 20, 2013 10:34 PM
Oct 2009
I think everyone who cares at this point has seen or at least understands what happens up to Alabasta...and technically they were gonna air through all of Skypiea before 2007/2008 CN ruined everything it possibly could.

My honest, real worry with One Piece is it might be too late for it to become even a Naruto level success in America. Which would be a shame.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
May 21, 2013 5:50 AM
Mar 2012
if they are after new viewers i don't think it's such a good idea.
people who never watched OP wil have no clue abaut how everything sticks together. that's what i believe anyway
May 21, 2013 12:18 PM

Nov 2010
That is not bad at all. They say the most viewers of an anime in toonami that night. Now only if it stays that way, idk viewers might just be up because it's the first ep. Now I only hope they are able to sit through the Davy Back fight arc.
May 21, 2013 9:41 PM
Feb 2013
Good premier ratings! Hope it stays that way or higher and gets one of the earlier slots. :D
May 21, 2013 10:19 PM

Jun 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
That is not bad at all. They say the most viewers of an anime in toonami that night. Now only if it stays that way, idk viewers might just be up because it's the first ep. Now I only hope they are able to sit through the Davy Back fight arc.

I hope it continues doing well. One Piece deserves more of a following here in the United States.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 21, 2013 10:33 PM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I hope it continues doing well. One Piece deserves more of a following here in the United States.
I hope so too, I hope it just wasn't a first episode bump. Though someone mentioned that in the commercial, funimation mentioned having all the eps up for free and I saw someone in the Toonami club talking about trying to catch up before it aired. If only 4kids hadn't of set funimation back, they're like 230 episodes behind.
Jun 11, 2013 1:28 PM
Jun 11, 2013 1:44 PM

Nov 2010
I so want it to keep that up.
Jun 12, 2013 8:30 AM

Feb 2012
Last Saturday I somehow managed to stay up for everything, doing my part nicely.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jun 16, 2013 12:19 PM

Feb 2012
davy back fight is the worst fucking one piece arc i have ever seen..... it was boring, long, the foxy pirates are lame and not funny in the slightest, why would they start with that?! at least start right after, idk, but if i was a first time viewer and started watching it on the tv from that episode onwards id say fuck that
Jun 16, 2013 12:40 PM

Nov 2010
moonbby said:
davy back fight is the worst fucking one piece arc i have ever seen..... it was boring, long, the foxy pirates are lame and not funny in the slightest, why would they start with that?! at least start right after, idk, but if i was a first time viewer and started watching it on the tv from that episode onwards id say fuck that
Because that's the start of the HD episodes and it's not even fully dubbed. It they skipped that, they'd be like 40 episodes from where the dub has gotten so far.
Jun 17, 2013 6:54 AM

Feb 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
moonbby said:
Because that's the start of the HD episodes and it's not even fully dubbed. It they skipped that, they'd be like 40 episodes from where the dub has gotten so far.

Even so I agree that it was a stupid place to start. I doubt many people who are new to One Piece would have watched the davy back fights and be like Oooo this is cool I think I'm gonna watch this series. They should have started right when they got to Water 7. Starting at Water 7 people would have been interested and there would have around a years worth of episodes dubbed which would give Funimation plenty of time to dub around half a years worth of episodes. If your Funimation/Toonami you shouldn't be thinking a year and a half into the future and thinking hmmm what do we do after that because things always change.
Jun 17, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 2011
Wind_Sr said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Even so I agree that it was a stupid place to start. I doubt many people who are new to One Piece would have watched the davy back fights and be like Oooo this is cool I think I'm gonna watch this series. They should have started right when they got to Water 7. Starting at Water 7 people would have been interested and there would have around a years worth of episodes dubbed which would give Funimation plenty of time to dub around half a years worth of episodes. If your Funimation/Toonami you shouldn't be thinking a year and a half into the future and thinking hmmm what do we do after that because things always change.

I's kind of sad but somewhat nice- though sill very much sad- that the saturday before last, right after the episode ended, I went on my computer- my facebook- and this one kid had just written a status saying how he might just give OP a shot because he saw the episode and it looked like a good show.... he reads manga and watches anime- some even in sub- it's just that he's never wanted to try One Piece... I just can't believe the dub on toonami worked.... o.0 Freakin' scary.

But you know- people that are reeled in with these episodes will definitely stick around for the shitty fillers and what not. The people reeled in during the climax's like marineford tend to expect that type of stuff all the time and start shitting when everything slows down.

Mod Edit: Fixed quote tags.
_Ghost_May 6, 2016 5:33 AM
Jun 21, 2013 1:56 PM

Mar 2013
I think starting One Piece at these episodes is not that bad. It is not to, to bad for new OP watchers. There are episodes or Fillers that i hated and i am happy that they are not starting at one of them. Well lets see how OP is taken by people. More fans means more OP for us. YEAH!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

29 by TsutanaiFuun »»
8 minutes ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
56 minutes ago

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

6 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
9 hours ago

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

7 by thebrentinator24 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.