Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2008 3:52 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
what an ending o_O..

Dec 21, 2008 6:08 AM

Aug 2008
One hell of an ending. It was really touching what the brothers did for each other. But it did leave bitter taste in my mouth realizing that they weren't together. I learned to live w/ it. ...until the movie :-)
Jan 8, 2009 4:33 PM

Oct 2008
Awesome ending. Cant wait till Full Metal Alchemist 2 just to see a different take on the story, its a pity they are just remaking it and following the manga storyline. Would rather have them continue on the anime story, which was very good (I haven't read the manga so can't really compare).

My score for this show: 8/10.
ManifestJan 8, 2009 4:37 PM
Jan 17, 2009 12:06 AM
Aug 2008
I thought that while the series really became the best near the end, there were a few characters who could have died at later events. However, after I saw the ending, I realized that how it was put together was a logical way of ending the series. But, unfortunately, I'm quite angry that Al didn't remember anything of the past four years, that Ed is in Munich in 1921 (about the time that Germany's marks (currency of Germany, if you didn't realize Hoenhime was buying apples costing fourteen marks each) were reaching the midway point of the inflation that was a helping cause of WWII), that Wrath lived, and that the anime just kinda... dropped the ending. To be precise, I thought it was well put together, but personally I'd have an ending that tied up all loose ends and completed the story.
umm... is this on?... hello?... can you hear me?... uhh... stop looking at me... i said stop... youre creeping me out... AHH SOMEBODY HELP ME A RAPIST IS STARING AT ME!!!!... oh wait, thats just a kitten...
May 29, 2009 10:17 PM

Feb 2009
Fantastic ending. Watching the Elric brothers give up what they did for each other's sake got me choked up.

Jun 15, 2009 12:06 PM

Jan 2009
well o loved that episode it was awsome ^^ but a sad ending on it...
Edward Elric <3 Lavi <3 Fai. D Flourite <3 Shizu-Chan <3 Sause Uchiha ! <33
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=11018 - FMAB fan club. for thoses who wants to join ^^

Jun 24, 2009 4:42 AM
Jul 2008
A Very Brilliant anime! One of the most intelligently made anime's and a fantastic score to boot.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Jun 28, 2009 7:40 PM

Oct 2007
DrkOrder said:
but personally I'd have an ending that tied up all loose ends and completed the story.

I agree. I liked the ending, but I felt with all the intricate plot twists throughout the series that they shouldn't have left it hanging open so much and thought of a creative ending. The ending wasn't as conclusive as I would have liked. I usually give 8s or 9s for anime like this but the end disappointed me so much I might have to go lower. :(
Jul 2, 2009 1:44 AM

Jun 2009
I liked it. COS tied everything up nicely.
Jul 4, 2009 12:07 AM

Jun 2008
Most disappointing ending I've ever seen. I remember having a similar feeling towards Neon Genesis, but I wasn't angry when I finished that.

If I could pretend the last episode happened differently, I'd say it's one of the best animes that's ever been made.

Other than that, this post segment sums up my feelings:

DrkOrder said:
But, unfortunately, I'm quite angry that Al didn't remember anything of the past four years, that Ed is in Munich in 1921, that Wrath lived, and that the anime just kinda... dropped the ending. To be precise, I thought it was well put together, but personally I'd have an ending that tied up all loose ends and completed the story.

Yes, such as the villains being defeated in a big, exciting battle, which would have been amazing because of the direction and fight sequencing, then they go back with their original bodies...and all their memories. A lot of the anime, such as the Green Arc, had me completely drawn in and wondering if it would be able to stay this good.

8/10. Great anime while it lasted...which was 50 episodes.
Jul 13, 2009 9:45 PM

Feb 2009
actually, 51 episodes

i hope they make a continuing season, wouldn't that be so amazing?

i wish hawkeye and mustang would've fallen in love more obviously, and that ed and al were together in their alchemy-world... i was so sad when i thought ed was dead... and then al too! god, i love ed so much... i'm so upset that it's over! *sob*
I want your soul... so please, click.
Jul 17, 2009 5:47 AM

Jun 2009
Great ending! Things weren't tied up completely, but I don't like that anyways. Endings like this really make me think about the series as a whole, looking for the deeper meanings to make sense of it all. Plus, this ending makes me itchy to go delve into the sequel.
Jul 19, 2009 9:02 AM

Dec 2008
great ending to a great anime.
now off to the movie to tie up all loose ends and complete the story.
Jul 20, 2009 9:43 AM

Feb 2009
And I also have to mention the GREAT scene between Mustang and Hawkeye where he's in bed and she's feeding him that apple.

Hawkeye: The plan was perfect, you did your part. But I should have gotten there sooner to protect you.
Mustang: Nothing's perfect. The world's not perfect. But it's there for us, trying the best it can. And that's what makes it so damn beautiful.

Jul 23, 2009 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
enkil said:
great ending to a great anime.
now off to the movie to tie up all loose ends and complete the story.

yeah... they really let us anticipate the movie a.k.a sequel, didn't they?....
for me, this ending was confusing... but really cool ;). [Eddie's alive! Yay!]

Sep 30, 2009 3:40 AM

Aug 2009
QwwQ Sad ending! I hated how Ed and Al ended up in different worlds...
I was hoping for a happy ending XD
At least Al got his body back in the end
I'm surprised that barry the chopper didn't come back for more revenge, everytime he was supposedly dead he came back - yes it was annoying but hilarious non the less
also loved the scene between mustang and hawkeye ~
anyhow...to the movie! Hopefully it ends well
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Nov 10, 2009 6:47 AM

Oct 2009
a nice ending, but yeah I really hate that they 2 were separated.
But it kinda weird. Ed die, then Al use the stone to revive ed (al die). Then Edward alive, then he use the human transmutation and make al alive and as return he is the one that die. Well not exactly die vanish (go to another world), but at least in concept he die.
hahah. It just, so amazing that they would so easily sacrifice their life like that.

Dec 19, 2009 11:53 AM

Aug 2009
Hm the show did get better towards the end, though a little dramatical with half the humunculae turning out to be good one by one... (I liked it though)

The end, for me, is really unsatisfying. I think the story asked for a more happy ending (because of it's moral) but they had to end with a "sudden" new problem (Ed&Al being seperated and Al not remembering anything). Not that I have anything against unhappy endings, but this just came a little out of the blue. Al not remembering anything I can accept, I just don't like it :P. It makes sense though, cause he lost his body at that age. It's logical for the story.
But Ed & Al getting seperated is a new problem, wich may have a solution and as a viewer I want the solution (though I'm not sure if that would be a good story).And I'd rather have seen Ed die than this...

Great show nonetheless

But the end makes the 8 turn into a 7/10
Jan 1, 2010 1:35 AM
Nov 2008
Is it only me? I hated it man. It was sad that brothers can't be together.
Jan 5, 2010 10:59 PM

Nov 2009
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who disliked this series. Okay, so I didn't flat out HATE it. But oh my god. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who read the manga before coming to this. Okay, so, 90% of this was made up. So more than half the time I was sitting through this thinking "NO, you CAN'T DO THAT!" Oh my god, not gonna lie, it was kind of funny how badly I freaked out.

The ending, terrible. Seriously, London? Germany? What the hell? Hey, people of Amestris, you're not allowed to be in Europe. It goes against the laws of anime.

I'll be completely honest, (and I don't know exact episode numbers) but I only really liked this series around episode 35 until around episode 43. Everything before it seemed thrown together randomly. Everything after was kind of... Thrown together randomly. XD

OH NO, ED DIED! I'MA SAVE HIM!
OH NO, HE DIED AGAIN! I'MA SAVE HIM AGAIN!
OH NO, ALPHONSE DIED! I'MA SAVE HIM!
OH NO, ED DIED AGAI--Wait, what happened?
I kind of lost track around there anyhow. XDD

Overall I give this anime a 7 or a 6.

AND ANOTHER THING THAT TICKS ME OFF. People saying "it's a pity that Brotherhood follows the manga" or "doesn't continue this anime" or "it's another take on this story," NO NO NO. I haven't watched it yet, but if it follows the manga, then I guarantee that it's 100x better than this series.

Okay, vent over. I'm feeling a little better now. :) Time to go to sleep, wake up, then watch the movie, and hopefully be put at ease a little bit. If the movie is any good, and ends up saving this series, I may push it up to 7 and keep it there.
Jan 21, 2010 9:21 AM

Apr 2008
If you don't like the ending - you missed the whole point of this anime.
Re-watch it. :wink:

For me it's a 10/10.
Jan 24, 2010 6:02 AM

Jul 2009
That was a ridiculous ending.
Jan 29, 2010 9:25 PM
Nov 2009
_gRim_ said:
If you don't like the ending - you missed the whole point of this anime.
Re-watch it. :wink:

For me it's a 10/10.
Then I definitely missed something D:

What a horrible ending, it was sad! Why couldn't Al have got his body back, Ed have got his limbs back, and they all live happily ever after?! Waaah! :'( I hate it, how stupid *pouts*

Gosh I'm still crying ^_^; What a dreadful ending.

Why on earth would they do that? Why does it have to be realisic? If we wanted realistic things, we would read non-fiction or stare out the window :(

It would be better if there were a second season.

Waaah :(

And, did Alphonse lose his memory of everything that happened since his mother died, or just if the day itself?
Mar 27, 2010 1:20 PM

Oct 2008
Like i said earlier . . One of the greatest anime series of all time , has one of the greatest ending of all time . . . Ha ha . . Awesome work . . . Seiji mizushima . Top notch direction man . :)
Apr 16, 2010 2:06 PM
Mar 2010
good though a bit dissapointmet
Apr 16, 2010 3:51 PM

Apr 2009
An ending is good not just because it is happy. FMA had a bitter-sweet ending, but frankly, it is the most appropriate (and one of the most well done anime ending) for the series. It has nothing to do with realism being the element, it's a great ending from a story telling point of view.

Also, I personally loved Al's monologue right at the train - that was the crowning moment of heartwarming for me.

tl;dr= I want a happy ending too, but this conclusion makes more sense in terms of context/ themes in the plot etc.

As a side note, that's why I felt that the movie was redundant, kinda killed the mood that this series created.
Apr 20, 2010 4:12 PM

Mar 2010
Wow !!
Specially End of the Series *-*
I want more... story must go on T_T´

Don't Like that they don't togheter..
Anime get's 8of10 points ^.^
Apr 21, 2010 11:55 PM

Oct 2008
this anime gets an eze 10 from me
Apr 29, 2010 5:17 PM
Aug 2009
If none of you have seen any of brotherhood yet, you should. It is awesome and seems more natural to me. I will be sad when it is over, though. :( I was just too sad with this ending, even after seeing the movie.
May 15, 2010 5:19 AM

Sep 2009
Wow sad ending for a great anime...9/10
May 27, 2010 5:07 PM
May 2010
Loved the anime, loved the ending. Simply, I like those kinds of endings. I wouldn't even want anyone to continue the story :o I'm gonna watch the movie anyway :3
So... For me, the anime got totally 10.
Sep 1, 2010 1:46 AM

Jun 2009
Geez.
A Hell of an Ending. Its not like an Ending... it's like the biggest Cliffhanger I've ever seen.

What a dissapointing Ending, srsly.
My Bad - I've seen first Brotherhood. So... I'm really (and when I mean really, I mean REALLY really) glad to have Brotherhood.
2003 is simbly... some kind of bullshit. Honto ni.
The Beginning was really nice, but the Way the Story goes, with Wrath and Sloth and all this Talking about "Homunculus" and "Bones" and "They have no Souls" and "The Gate inside"... no... no, that is simbly mindrape.

And at least:
2003 DON'T HAVE LING / GURIRIN! Nor Olivia, "Pride", Hohenheim (I mean... come on. That's all what we've got from Hohenheim? That's some kind of... lame... don't you agree? He didn't do anything big in 2003. He's just there for... a few Episodes, and then, he's gone again. DAW, that's it. Not more. Fin.), Father...

No... The Beginning was exelenct, but I rly do not like what it turns out. This was simply BULLSHIT!

FMA: BROTHERHOOD FDW! It's such an Amazing Anime...
But FMA 2003? No... no, it wasn't rly good.

6/10
Sep 16, 2010 7:46 AM

Jun 2009
I get it the ending fitted in the story and was well throughout but it made me wanting to know if ed and al would find each other a bit of a cliff hanger. All in all it was a bittersweet ending that left us wanting more of what was a great series.
Sep 25, 2010 4:55 PM

Jun 2010
the anime was brilliant i enjoyed it alot even though it didnt go with the anime its good to see fma in a new light as well in the beginning i thought hmm doesnt go with the manga so will it be any good alot has changed but i felt more into this seris then brotherhood..brotherhood was good as well but i thought this seris had more thought and feeling into it n the movie to end the whole thing tops the cake alot of ppl didnt enjoy it

SPOILER:::

mostly cuz the reason is that ed and winry dont get to be together n i am thinkin so what i dont see the old seris as a super happy endin only a thinkin bittersweet one n i enjoyed it alot :)
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Oct 7, 2010 9:31 PM

Jun 2009
This has to be one of the best animes I have seen so far!!!!! AMAZING

Oct 8, 2010 1:15 PM

Jul 2009
CNyle said:
This has to be one of the best animes I have seen so far!!!!! AMAZING

Time to watch some really good anime for a change.
Oct 22, 2010 10:02 AM

Oct 2008
I don't know how I feel about this anime, the ending seemed rushed with all the enemies just dying off one by one effortlessly. So much build up for the philosophers stone and we end up just losing half of the character development in Al because he forgets everything.

I'm not really sure what to say, the beginning and the end of the anime was pretty good. Excluding the last episode.

But when you kill off all the villians so easily without any real battle then it just seems kinda pointless. Nothing was really solved, we still know nothing about the door between realms and how it was created or what exactly exists there and the whole point of this anime wasn't finished. Ed still has a metal hand and leg(in a alchemy-free world where robotic limbs don't exist) and Al is a young boy again with no memory of the journey we got to witness.

Hopefully Brotherhood does a lot better job because so many characters are left unexplained and developed and so many things like Ed's dad, Dante, The Homunkuli and The Door between worlds are all annoying me just thinking about them.

8/10 Episode was good, a bit cliche at the end.
Nov 7, 2010 3:37 AM

Feb 2009
Although Brotherhood does a better job in telling the story, this classic is all about the Elric Brothers and the great side characters. The ending was pretty sad, but well made taking into account everything we watched up until now. A very good show.
VeethornDec 7, 2011 9:59 AM
Mar 19, 2011 11:27 AM

May 2010
I thought it was sad and touching about how the brothers deeply cared for each other.
Mar 20, 2011 2:41 PM

Jun 2009
Honestly, I really don't have a clue what the hell to rate this. It seems alot of people seem to think alot of thought went into this series, but I think the opposite. The show was intelligent and thought provoking at the beginning but it lost it's footing in the second half around the time the "teacher" showed up.

It's funny how some people say this series is better put together than the manga, when I thought the best parts were the ones to follow the manga. The character development and plot were excellent at that point, so I'm holding hope for Brotherhood to return the story to form.

However, I did like the ending and the last few episodes were okay. I'll probably settle for a 7, but it would have been a six if not for the decent last few episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 24, 2011 4:56 AM
Dec 2009
A. TO ALL PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T LIKE THE ENDING. HERE.

B. This ending was near perfect. Why a movie had to be made is beyond me. This ending was spectacular. It wrapped up all the character's dilemmas, and, while it might not be the happiest ending, did give the viewer something to think about even after it ended. All in all, a great series and Brotherhood has a tough act to follow.
May 4, 2011 12:23 PM
Apr 2011
I thought i was a really good ending, everything just fell in to place so that the entire plot made sense. THOUGH.. i didn't like the fact that Al and Ed got seperated, even thou the ending might have been verry predicted and lame if they did it still sucked a bit :3

Otherwise awsum :3
May 25, 2011 9:49 AM

Dec 2010
In fact I liked the ending. Unsatisfying endings are one of the best ending at all, if they're served qualitatively. For now I think not to watch the movie and the OVAs. Many people said they weren't good enough. Even if the episode 51 ending is unsatisfying, I don't want to watch low quality ending which ruins this unique feeling I got after the last episode.
This whole idea about the two world, one with alchemy and one with mechanics is something of which I've thought many times to now. Seeing it this way, it really looks uniquely good. And in fact, Ed has somewhat became the finest alchemist in FMA(well the anime is named after his title, but whatsoever), by completing perfect human transmutation.
MeritasMay 25, 2011 10:36 AM
May 26, 2011 10:27 PM

Jul 2010
wow, wat an ending, so each bro is in the opposite side of the gate huh?
well all in all, a great series, i'm not gonna watch brotherhood rite away.
.......aaaaannnnndddd now i'm sad a great anime is finished.

Jun 9, 2011 2:52 PM
May 2011
I'm at fault with this ending for many reasons. First of all, WTF just happened? I hate it magical/fantastical settings when at the end, things just sort of "happen". Why was Al able to bring Ed back? Why was Ed able to bring Al back? Why did Ed end up in the parallel universe instead of dying?

The reason why all of this matters is because of its enormous impact on the "message" or ideologies that the writer intended to portray. I would have found the ending to make more sense if Ed had stayed dead because that would support the message that "the dead cannot be brought back to life, nothing can be truly recreated, don't live in the past", but the fact that Ed returned and then brought Al back completely destroys that message.

Also, how was Ed able to transport himself from the parallel universe back to his own world after initially being sent there? By dying?

The part about Al losing his memories as part of the exchange does seem valid. I don't completely understand it now, but THAT at least is something that I think will come to me with time. But I just DON'T understand the implications of Al being able to bring back Ed, and vice versa. I feel like all of that was thrown in haphazardly just to achieve certain results--much like the ending of Lost.

There are two more, if relatively minor, issues--why is Wrath a "good" character after all? Also, the struggle between Dante and Gluttony was rather ambiguous. Naturally, there should be one survivor between the two, right? Leaving one villain?

I say now, to all of you who claim to understand the ending--explain to me why Ed was able to bring back Al, with his being being sent to the parallel universe as a result. I highly doubt such an event at the end of the series is due to a reason such as "he became so proficient at alchemy that he was able to do it".

Not just that, also explain to me--what are the moral or ideological implications of those results? What message was the writer trying to convey? Plot devices should be used DURING a series, not at its END to achieve some bittersweet exit situation.
Jun 12, 2011 7:48 PM
Apr 2011
What happened to Dante?
do we assume she got eaten by gluttany?
she clapped her hands and then the scene ended.

gluttany was still about in the sequel so i'm assuming he won and dante didnt.
Jun 22, 2011 1:25 PM

May 2010
Great ending, but I'm a little disapointed that Al has no memory of it. It's a bit of a let-down and in a way doesn't make much sense since it's still his soul. But hopefully the movie will resolve this. It was a good finish, but I can see the finishing up that the movie will probably do.
Jul 4, 2011 5:33 PM

Jul 2008
I watched Brotherhood before finishing this series. I feel I would've enjoyed this a lot more if I watched it back when I first started it (2008, I put it on hold forever after Brotherhood was announced), I kept thinking Brotherhood/manga did things better. I'm still gonna rate it highly.
Jul 25, 2011 9:30 AM

Oct 2009
jimboli92 said:

I say now, to all of you who claim to understand the ending--explain to me why Ed was able to bring back Al, with his being being sent to the parallel universe as a result. I highly doubt such an event at the end of the series is due to a reason such as "he became so proficient at alchemy that he was able to do it".

Not just that, also explain to me--what are the moral or ideological implications of those results? What message was the writer trying to convey? Plot devices should be used DURING a series, not at its END to achieve some bittersweet exit situation.

Al was able to bring Ed back because he was the Philosopher Stone.
The Ed part is more "forced" it's understandable if you don't like. But shows us in the end he managed to make a sucessful human transmutation.
Why he didn't die? They show us in the show. When someone perfoms human transmutation he doesn't die, the gate appears and attacks him, usualy take something from him (leg/arm, in the case of the teacher, her insides). In Ed's case in the end the gate took all of him, but he went to the other side.
Aug 3, 2011 7:19 PM

Sep 2010
I watched Brotherhood before this one, and now that I've seen those 51 episodes I can proudly tell that I don't have any regret about starting with brotherhood.

Brotherhood was far better.

The ending was good, I can't deny it, but all elements were badly tied up, I don't know well how to explain this but I think there was something missing for this one to be very good.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

63 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 2:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.