Forum Settings
Forums

Would you actually care if someone said Merry Christmas?

New
Dec 18, 2008 11:00 PM

Nov 2007
I've noticed walking around my neighborhood, there is 0 Merry Christmas signs, mostly "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings". Is the government so paranoid they might offend a few people, that they change names completely. Where I live, the public schools, are not allowed to have "Christmas Concerts", "Christmas Carols", and anything with the word Christmas in it. Would you actually be offended if someone said "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays". Even in supermarkets, a lady told me "Merry Christmas" then apologized. I pretty much hate Political Correctness.
sad
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 18, 2008 11:02 PM

Sep 2008
I wouldn't care.

Then again, I don't care about a lot of things.

-eats cookies without caring-
Dec 18, 2008 11:05 PM

Mar 2005
Eberhardt said:
Even in supermarkets, a lady told me "Merry Christmas" then apologized.

did you do anything to elicit an apology?
Dec 18, 2008 11:06 PM

Nov 2007
kei-clone said:
Eberhardt said:
Even in supermarkets, a lady told me "Merry Christmas" then apologized.

did you do anything to elicit an apology?

Nope. I just smiled, she was packing my bag. When you work at certain markets, you have to be politically correct, she wasn't suppose to say Merry Christmas.
sad
Dec 18, 2008 11:10 PM

Jul 2008
I make it a point to firmly say "Merry Christmas" in every situation where people say Happy Holidays. Though, I do it for those golden moments when people stutter trying to say Merry Christmas back... so I'm probably not the best target for this question.

Personally, I like Merry Christmas better.
Dec 18, 2008 11:12 PM

Dec 2007
I'd say "I'll decide that for myself, thank you" and walk off.

Really though, it's the thought that counts here, so I can't blame them for trying to be nice (or sarcastic).
Dec 18, 2008 11:35 PM

Feb 2007
I remember having our band director in high school mention how the parade in our town changed to the Children's Electric Light Parade. Although, it does say "Christmas" instead of "Light" on the town's website...

Anyway, it's not something I've thought about. Most around me say Merry Christmas. I'll reply the same.
Dec 18, 2008 11:47 PM

Apr 2007
With all the commercial support it's been getting over the years I dont feel a connection between Christ and Christmas at all during the season.

So I dont even consider it a religious day.

it doesnt matter to me if people wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Honnukah or a Happy Kwanzaa, it's just their way of season greeting. and I usualy say the same back.

In my opinion Christmas could better bed Dubbed as SantaDay. since the majority only cares for the pressents anyway. And when your an adult it's a day for spending moneyz on gifts and good Phood. so much for the "Christ" in Christmas.

Dec 18, 2008 11:49 PM

Sep 2008
Other than my family I only interact with people online, and if someone gets offended by randomized words on a screen I'll be damned.
Dec 18, 2008 11:50 PM

Jul 2006
I usually reply "Thank you, and the same to you".

http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/videos/no-christmas-for-you-episode-064
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2008 12:07 AM

Dec 2007
Rage-The-Dragoon said:
With all the commercial support it's been getting over the years I dont feel a connection between Christ and Christmas at all during the season.

it doesnt matter to me if people wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Honnukah or a Happy Kwanzaa, it's just their way of season greeting. and I usualy say the same back.

In my opinion Christmas could better bed Dubbed as SantaDay. since the majority only cares for the pressents anyway. And when your an adult it's a day for spending moneyz on gifts and good Phood. so much for the "Christ" in Christmas.

I call it Christmas, but I never considered it to be religious. I don't believe in god and all that, so it has no value for me anyways. I love Christmas because of the mood and all that, not because some nonexistent guy was born.
Dec 19, 2008 12:14 AM

Apr 2007
Chavez said:
Rage-The-Dragoon said:

I call it Christmas, but I never considered it to be religious. I don't believe in god and all that, so it has no value for me anyways. I love Christmas because of the mood and all that, not because some nonexistent guy was born.

agreed on that.
but I just stated it out to relate to the first post.

Dec 19, 2008 12:27 AM

Oct 2007
im celebrating jesus, so merry christmas

Dec 19, 2008 12:30 AM

Oct 2007
The government is full of pagans and heathens.
Dec 19, 2008 12:42 AM

Nov 2008
Nope. Only care about myself, fuck everyone else.

Randomer002Dec 19, 2008 12:59 AM
Dec 19, 2008 12:44 AM

Jul 2008
Chavez said:
Rage-The-Dragoon said:

It's universally known that Jesus was a real person, its weather or not you believe he was the messiah. KNOW YOUR HISTORY.
Dec 19, 2008 12:46 AM

Feb 2008
Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday anymore (at least certainly not exclusively), what with it being so commercialized. The only part of Christmas that Christians got to keep was the name, at the cost of the name taking on new meanings. They now have to share the holiday with people of all beliefs. I'd rather accept that than try to be all politically correct by calling it some generic secular holiday name to try avoid all possibility of offending anyone.

I don't believe in what Christmas was originally about, but I do celebrate it. I find my personal idea of Christmas meaningful to me, I don't care what people think. Crass marketing aside, I enjoy the atmosphere, lights etc of this time of year. People who get offended at "Merry Christmas" need to pull their heads out of their asses.
Dec 19, 2008 12:52 AM

Oct 2008
Christmas is just a day where we can all celebrate the joys of life, to be happy simply for that sole reason that we're alive and we have what we have. As well as to spend time with loved ones because we can and want to. Decorations aren't what makes a holiday, a holiday, more so the mood and the people around you. Spread the love <3.
Dec 19, 2008 12:53 AM

Mar 2007
I dont care who you are...

Jesus is more epic than 90% of the people that ever walked this earth. At least show the dead guy some respect. He's the reason why YOU PEOPLE are getting computers and video games and anime (in reference to presents).

So basically what im tryin to say is anyone who ENJOYS giving or receiving presents this season. Should be kissing jesus' feet.

...anyways i say it at work. People will generally know your GOOD INTENTIONS when you say it. So why the FUCK WOULD YOU BE A DICK and 'correct' them. Dont be an asshole people. Just take the "seasons greetings" and be on your goddamn way.

...can you tell i deal with people/customers everyday at work? Theres nothing worse than an asshole customer being an asshole just for the sake of being an asshole. You know who you are.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Dec 19, 2008 12:54 AM

Jul 2008
The only people getting pissed about saying "Merry Christmas" are those extremely secular people who believe Christians are evil and are the reason for all the worlds problems.
Dec 19, 2008 1:02 AM

May 2008
No, but I tell every black person I see "happy Kwanzaa".
Dec 19, 2008 1:05 AM

Sep 2007
Defiance said:
The only people getting pissed about saying "Merry Christmas" are those extremely secular people who believe Christians are evil and are the reason for all the worlds problems.

<insert comment here that would make me look like a satanic guy>
Dec 19, 2008 1:06 AM

Apr 2007
Ranivus said:

Jesus is more epic than 90% of the people that ever walked this earth. At least show the dead guy some respect. He's the reason why YOU PEOPLE are getting computers and video games and anime (in reference to presents).

wut lol, Jesus is Santa Claus?

Dec 19, 2008 1:17 AM

Oct 2008
What is wrong with the words "Merry Christmas"? It's like saying, "Happy Birthday" or "Happy New Year". I don't see anything wrong with it.. I do realize that people are trying to link it to politics and religion, but that's nonsense!
Dec 19, 2008 2:59 AM

Nov 2007
Ranivus said:

So basically what im tryin to say is anyone who ENJOYS giving or receiving presents this season. Should be kissing jesus' feet.

...anyways i say it at work. People will generally know your GOOD INTENTIONS when you say it. So why the FUCK WOULD YOU BE A DICK and 'correct' them. Dont be an asshole people. Just take the "seasons greetings" and be on your goddamn way.

...can you tell i deal with people/customers everyday at work? Theres nothing worse than an asshole customer being an asshole just for the sake of being an asshole. You know who you are.

Christmas is a commercial idea of the 20th century, society just needed an excuse to force people to buy stuff and support the economy.

Sure credit Jesus for the "Christmas" holiday, but keep in mind that he's just an excuse for the commercial celebration. We might just have called it "Santa day" or "Present day".

"Sanity is overrated."
Dec 19, 2008 2:59 AM

Oct 2006
Defiance said:

I can't say I'm too fond of Christianity (or more accurately the Christian church as an organization) or many of the things it's arguably responsible for, though I'd really rather not derail the thread by delving into that any further, but in this case I'm much more bothered by people who think that protesting the use of "Merry Christmas" or other such things (ten commandments on display in a courthouse, etc.) is somehow meaningful and not just petty and ridiculous.
Dec 19, 2008 3:02 AM

Feb 2008
LoL @ mr. rani fani's response.

ANYWAY,
no I wouldn't care. I say "Happy Holidays" though anyway, just in case.
Dec 19, 2008 6:21 AM

Dec 2007
I say something that could be translated as "Merry Festivities". I know that's what everyone means when they say "Merry Christmas", therefore it does not make sense to get offended.

But, anyway, I don't agree with the exploit of Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Whatever and don't give presents or ask for them. I just wish the party is nice and the food (oh, the food) is good as well.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 19, 2008 7:33 AM

Jul 2007
people that complain about that kind of stuff are the people that I hate the most. happy holidays is kind of more superior though since it includes like everything, even new years.

Dec 19, 2008 7:39 AM

Jun 2008
I would care because almost everyone today is an asshole, and the person who said it must have an ounce of kindness in them.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Dec 19, 2008 8:13 AM

May 2008
I suddenly feel ignorant. This is the first time I heard saying Merry Christmas is not correct. I think I prefer people to wish me a Merry Christmas, since "Happy Holidays" sounds like something you would tell someone on a Friday, much like "Have a nice weekend"
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Dec 19, 2008 8:17 AM

Nov 2008
No, I wouldn't really care.
Here, people say that anyways. I seriously think we had a Christmas concert once, I don't exactly remember though. Nobody bothers with "Happy Holidays" here.
Dec 19, 2008 8:22 AM

Aug 2007
I personally wouldn't get offended, BUT

People do get offended. Most of you may not associate it with a religion, but guess what? It is. It is specifically tied down to a specific religion. People who don't follow said religion can very easily get offended. I personally hate when someone is trying to shove a religion down my throat...and I can see how people can see it that way.

I think Happy Holidays is a perfect way to go. It encompases all religions that are celebrating their seasons. You can't please everyone obviously, but think thats a happy medium, and thats what I say. I don't say Merry Christmas to anyone. That is a rude assumption on my part.

Dec 19, 2008 8:34 AM

Jul 2008
Aarana said:
I personally hate when someone is trying to shove a religion down my throat...and I can see how people can see it that way.
I really don't see how saying "Merry Christmas" is shoving my religion down somebody's throat. Even if you aren't a Christian, it is perfectly fine to celebrate the birth of the philosopher and humanitarian that Christ was.
Dec 19, 2008 8:39 AM

Sep 2008
Rage-The-Dragoon said:

That's because technically, there isn't one. Christianity chose 12/25 as "Christ's Birthday" because there was already a Roman holiday on that day and they didn't want to compete with it, so they just adopted the day. Over time, its become less and less like a religious holiday, and more of an excuse to splurge. I'm not sure exactly when his birthday was, but I think I heard it was supposed to be some time in Spring....

Personally, it doesn't bother me when people say Merry Christmas. I'm not Christian or anything, but I can understand the sentiment of goodwill. When I hear it, it's just another greeting to me.

I did hear of a case about a year or so back where some Jewish people were trying to sue some store because they said Merry Christmas to them. Things like that are just ridiculous....
Dec 19, 2008 9:14 AM

Oct 2006
Aarana said:
People do get offended. Most of you may not associate it with a religion, but guess what? It is. It is specifically tied down to a specific religion. People who don't follow said religion can very easily get offended. I personally hate when someone is trying to shove a religion down my throat...and I can see how people can see it that way.

It may have ties to a specific religion, but it's pretty far from trying to shove that religion down your throat (which I loathe as well) unless the person is just using said well-wishing as a springboard to launch into some "reason for the season" diatribe.

I even have a hard time understanding how someone could get offended by the words "I'll pray for you." versus simply being grateful for the fact that they actually care enough about you and whatever your plight to do so. Unless it's one of those condescending I'll-pray-for-you's that some Christians like to fall back on when they've soundly lost an argument and still want to have the last word.

Getting offended by something as petty as a "Merry Christmas" to me would imply that the person is simply looking for an excuse to act offended and draw attention to themselves like some middle school drama whore. And people like that aren't worth paying any attention to in the first place, and doubly unfit for any friendly well-wishing.
Dec 19, 2008 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
The government is full of pagans and heathens.

And what's wrong with that?
Dec 19, 2008 9:19 AM

Mar 2008
I hate people saying to me merry christmas. It's like they want me to say something back xD and if I don't they think I'm asocial... idiots
Dec 19, 2008 9:21 AM

Dec 2007
Krelian said:

Getting offended by something as petty as a "Merry Christmas" to me would imply that the person is simply looking for an excuse to act offended and draw attention to themselves like some middle school drama whore. And people like that aren't worth paying any attention to in the first place, and doubly unfit for any friendly well-wishing.

Ditto

It's not like people want you to join their religion at any given moment. They are just wishing the best they can, and if the best they can has a religion included... What can we do?
Dec 19, 2008 9:26 AM

May 2008
No, I wouldn't care in the least.

I would probably just nod and think to myself "Yeah whatever, Christmas sucks, go off to some corporate orgy and buy your shallow family some worthless gifts that they'll return in mid January."
Dec 19, 2008 9:27 AM

Feb 2008
Christmas is pretty much the best thing out of all the religions so I guess the people against saying "Merry Christmas" are just jealous of its awesomeness!

Disclaimer: This comment is intended to be funny because it's true.
Dec 19, 2008 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
Azamat said:
Ranivus said:

Christmas is a commercial idea of the 20th century, society just needed an excuse to force people to buy stuff and support the economy.

Sure credit Jesus for the "Christmas" holiday, but keep in mind that he's just an excuse for the commercial celebration. We might just have called it "Santa day" or "Present day".

Santa Claus was a actual person, but he was a saint back in the day. He traveled Europe giving presents to poor children.
sad
Dec 19, 2008 9:39 AM

Dec 2007
I think poor Nicholas is overrated.
Dec 19, 2008 9:42 AM

Aug 2007
I LOVE it how people read my posts. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I said I can see how people would and could be offended. Im not offended, and I don't think someone saying "Merry Chrismstmas" is throwing a religion down my throat, BUT I can see how someone may take it that way. Part of understanding and accepting the world is understanding and accepting how people think and feel.

I know that I think the way I think. However, its very presumptuous of me to assume that another person will think like me. Thats why I said I can see why some people may think that way. If a person who is Jewish heard "Merry Chrismas" all day long over and over, I can see how that may grate on a persons nerves. It bothers SOME people. SOME people take offense to things like that.

And Yes, Christmas is a religious holiday. It doesn't matter how many presents you attach to it, or athiests that celebrate it. Its the the 'day' (I do say that lightly) that Christ was born. No matter how many "I don't think it has religious attachment" arguments there are that will not disuade that. You personally don't think its attached to a religion for yourself (which is fine), but as a holiday by its definition is religious.

Dec 19, 2008 9:48 AM

Dec 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Christmas is pretty much the best thing out of all the religions so I guess the people against saying "Merry Christmas" are just jealous of its awesomeness!

Disclaimer: This comment is intended to be funny because it's true.

Dancing naked to the moon. Nothing pwns that, not even Jesus. <3

Funny enough, during this time most Western (as in "central", taking Greenwich as middle) religions had a celebration that in someway included exchanging gifts. The three kinds had to copy the idea from somewhere, after all. xD

Also, there are countries where you only receive the Gifts the 6th January, because it was the day the Kings arrived and presented Jesus. So all the celebration should be the 6th instead? I love how companies ignore these cute facts and do not use them to sell useless stuff during more days.
Dec 19, 2008 9:56 AM

Jul 2008
Aarana said:
BUT I can see how someone may take it that way.
I wasn't getting onto about your own personally opinion, but I was saying that for ANYONE to take it so offensively is just a defensive prick. If anyone should be offended it should be the Christians themselves, who are an overwhelming majority to be such a victim of this reverse discrimination. It's like its a crime to be a Christian nowadays.

It's like I said earlier, even if you aren't a Christian, Christ was an outstanding philosopher and humanitarian. So if you were to remove Christmas, you should remove Martin Luther King Jr Day as well.
Dec 19, 2008 9:59 AM

Aug 2007
Defiance said:
Aarana said:
BUT I can see how someone may take it that way.
I wasn't getting onto about your own personally opinion, but I was saying that for ANYONE to take it so offensively is just a defensive prick. If anyone should be offended it should be the Christians themselves, who are an overwhelming majority to be such a victim of this reverse discrimination.

It's like I said earlier, even if you aren't a Christian, Christ was an outstanding philosopher and humanitarian. So if you were to remove Christmas, you should remove Martin Luther King Jr Day as well.

Im sure not everyone celebrates it ;)

There are many holidays that I don't agree with being nationalized, just for the fact that the goverment claims that it has a seperation of church and state. However, I like having the days off from work (anytime the stock market is closed i get off!) to sit around and do nothing :D I like how they do it with other religions. If you celebrate something different, then you are able to request holiday time from work.

I tried to get St. Patricks day off one year and they laughed at me though. Can't an Irish girl have her time? ;)

Dec 19, 2008 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
If someone said merry christmas to me and I wasn't christian I'd just say Happy Hanukkah or whatever back. I wouldnt see it as offensive -_-..... So.. What's the big deal? Its not like everyone is being conformed into one religion. Shouldn't we have religious freedom and speech? The gov't is over-reacting a bit ;___;
Dec 19, 2008 10:08 AM

Oct 2006
Aarana said:

I said I can see how people would and could be offended. Im not offended, and I don't think someone saying "Merry Chrismstmas" is throwing a religion down my throat, BUT I can see how someone may take it that way. Part of understanding and accepting the world is understanding and accepting how people think and feel.

I know that I think the way I think. However, its very presumptuous of me to assume that another person will think like me. Thats why I said I can see why some people may think that way. If a person who is Jewish heard "Merry Chrismas" all day long over and over, I can see how that may grate on a persons nerves. It bothers SOME people. SOME people take offense to things like that.

And Yes, Christmas is a religious holiday. It doesn't matter how many presents you attach to it, or athiests that celebrate it. Its the the 'day' (I do say that lightly) that Christ was born. No matter how many "I don't think it has religious attachment" arguments there are that will not disuade that. You personally don't think its attached to a religion for yourself (which is fine), but as a holiday by its definition is religious.

I suppose that's directed at me? If so, I'd throw the same right back at you, as I never said anything at all about you particularly getting offended or anything of the sort. We differ in that while I can certainly understand the logic one might use to justify such a reaction, I find it both petty and near-painfully absurd, no more comprehensible than if someone blew up at a coworker for telling them to have a good weekend.

Christmas is definitely a religious holiday - there's no arguing that no matter how commercialized it gets - but implying that someone taking offense to two words attempting to convey friendship and goodwill is somehow defensible is a bit much for me to swallow. And honestly, I'm not really sure how such a person would manage to survive this world without promptly blowing a gasket if they can find so much to be upset about in such a harmless little phrase.
Dec 19, 2008 10:18 AM

Aug 2007
Krelian said:
Aarana said:

I suppose that's directed at me? If so, I'd throw the same right back at you, as I never said anything at all about you particularly getting offended or anything of the sort. We differ in that while I can certainly understand the logic one might use to justify such a reaction, I find it both petty and near-painfully absurd, no more comprehensible than if someone blew up at a coworker for telling them to have a good weekend.

Christmas is definitely a religious holiday - there's no arguing that no matter how commercialized it gets - but implying that someone taking offense to two words attempting to convey friendship and goodwill is somehow defensible is a bit much for me to swallow. And honestly, I'm not really sure how such a person would manage to survive this world without promptly blowing a gasket if they can find so much to be upset about in such a harmless little phrase.

If I was directing it at you, I would have quoted you. There were many replies, so my answer was generalized.

Having a good weekend and having a Merry Christmas are two very different things, they can't even be compared. You may not get offended, don't assume that someone else is obsurred for prefering not to accept the well wishes of a holiday they don't support nor celebrate.

It may be a harmless phrase for you, but for others its much more important. Some people take their religions very very seriously, and can get offended at things like that.

Yeah, it may seem silly to most to get offended at a simple thing as a saying, but the same exact thing can be said about many many other words in the English language, ones I won't even mention because I don't want to derail, but many cultures hold many different meanings to words, just like religions do. To Christians (or other people who celebrate Christmas) "Merry Christmas" means "good cheer" and "well wishes" to people who don't celebrate it, it may mean "happy jesus's birth day!". Im sure there are plenty of people who brush something off they don't agree with, but there are others who don't.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.