Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2013 8:33 PM

Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We find out the proper way to behave in an Osakan restaurant, even if you are getting a discount.
rodacMar 8, 2013 8:37 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 8, 2013 9:54 PM

Nov 2011
She not only forgot to say Thank You but also forgot tips. What a girl.
Mar 8, 2013 10:54 PM

Jan 2012
Stark700 said:

She did say thanks. o.O
Mar 9, 2013 12:16 AM
Sep 2012
penguindrum264 said:
Stark700 said:

She did say thanks. o.O
They also don't tip in Japan.
Mar 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Feb 2011
1 more episode. ;_;
Mar 9, 2013 5:13 AM

Feb 2012
I kinda felt sad for Kaede in this episode, poor girl.
Mar 9, 2013 5:14 AM

Jul 2009
Stark700 said:

well she did thank. l mean that was one of the osaka things
also not every country tips. tipping is largely an american thing
Mar 9, 2013 5:57 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yep - no tipping in Japan. I'm not sure I ever got comfortable with that during my two week stay.

Here is a rice omellet with toppings and salad I had one night in Kyoto during my trip, and it was very tasty (and not salty at all)
Mar 9, 2013 9:06 AM

Aug 2012
Cratex said:
Here is a rice omellet with toppings and salad I had one night in Kyoto during my trip, and it was very tasty (and not salty at all)

*image snipped*

That looks good, Cratex! How was it?
Mar 9, 2013 9:39 AM

Sep 2012
AiCon said:
penguindrum264 said:
Stark700 said:
She did say thanks. o.O
Which is one thing that I love Japan (and by extension something I really dislike about America, for being a country that expects and demands tips.)
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 9, 2013 9:42 AM

Sep 2012
Cratex said:
The gravy type not the ketchup type (and definitely not maid-cafe ketchup type) X-D

Anyway, the most impressive is that Iguchi again voiced all the side characters, which means Kaede AND the chef too ! Impressive.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 9, 2013 10:53 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
SidVicious79 said:
That looks good, Cratex! How was it?
Very good!

Actually, I had a LOT of good food there. Outside of the several ryokans I stayed where I had traditional style meals (awesome stuff), I usually tried to find out of the way places to eat and was never disappointed.

symbv said:
The gravy type not the ketchup type (and definitely not maid-cafe ketchup type) X-D
(grin) in fact, I'm not a fan of ketchup. I use mustard on a lot of things, however.
Mar 9, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2010
So even tho she got a discount she was bashing the restaurant with some complaints at least she said thank you when she left.
Even as a European i would feel discomfort if i don't have to give one but i am surprised you noticed they didn't give one.
Mar 9, 2013 4:15 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
AiCon said:
penguindrum264 said:
Stark700 said:
She did say thanks. o.O
Which is one thing that I love Japan (and by extension something I really dislike about America, for being a country that expects and demands tips.)
It isn't that bad. Most people usually give out $1 or $2 tips in most restaurants. It's only if your order is really big, you got really good service or if you go to a higher end restaurant that you have to give out a bigger tip.
Cratex said:
symbv said:
(grin) in fact, I'm not a fan of ketchup. I use mustard on a lot of things, however.
You're probably from Texas then. I hear that Texans do love to put lots of mustard on EVERYTHING instead of ketchup -- including burgers. I'm not a big fan of ketchup myself, but large quantities of mustard on my food is a bit much for me.
Mar 9, 2013 8:31 PM

Sep 2012
AiCon said:
It isn't that bad. Most people usually give out $1 or $2 tips in most restaurants. It's only if your order is really big, you got really good service or if you go to a higher end restaurant that you have to give out a bigger tip.
Hmm? My experience in Boston and New York City is that $1 or $2 is not enough. 15% is expected. I have seen waiters chase up a departing customer for leaving not enough tips and that restaurant was far from an expensive restaurant - just a local eatery.

Mar 9, 2013 10:56 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
AiCon said:
Hmm? My experience in Boston and New York City is that $1 or $2 is not enough. 15% is expected. I have seen waiters chase up a departing customer for leaving not enough tips and that restaurant was far from an expensive restaurant - just a local eatery.
I guess that it depends on the city since everyone I know gets away with $2 tips. I know that some places automatically charge you a gratuity, but those are usually at some pub franchise establishments.
Mar 10, 2013 9:43 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
In most places in Ohio 15% is 'expected' if the food and service was good. Personally I tend towards 20% because the places I can eat out are limited and as a result the staff of such places tend to 'know' me, and I want to show I appreciate what they do.
Mar 10, 2013 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
I love this show because any time I am in the mood I can get three minutes
and thirty seconds of 100% guaranteed entertainment.

The limited animation style that they use may have a lot of promise. It must
cost a lot less. Yes, it is true that hair and skirts do not wave in the wind in
such a realistic way. However, the goal is to present a character that we can
recognize and relate to.

Is there any hope for a second season? Mayonnaise! I like it!
okanaganMar 10, 2013 3:28 PM
Mar 11, 2013 4:33 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
Is there any hope for a second season? Mayonnaise! I like it!
If there is a second season, they may switch it to some other places of Japan. As I know the anime is based on a "humorous guidebook" series published about the eccentricities of people from different parts of Japan. This anime is based on the book named "Rules in Osaka". If you check the series here http://bookwalker.jp/pc/list/series/sr263/ you can see there are books on Hokkaido, Nagoya, Okinawa, Fukuoka, Kyoto and Tokyo...

Mar 11, 2013 5:50 PM

Oct 2012
^ Many thanks for pointing out that link to all eleven books in the "Rules" series.

I found it entertaining to see some of the "rules" for Tokyo:

1. Stand on the left side while riding an escalator, to let others pass on the right.
2. Wait patiently at a red light until it turns green.
3. If you are walking down the street and see a celebrity, pretend you didn't notice.

I only went to Tokyo when I briefly visited Japan. The thing that terrifies me is
that these three reasonable-sounding rules sound strange to the REST of Japan!
Mar 15, 2013 9:11 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:

I found it entertaining to see some of the "rules" for Tokyo:

1. Stand on the left side while riding an escalator, to let others pass on the right.
2. Wait patiently at a red light until it turns green.
3. If you are walking down the street and see a celebrity, pretend you didn't notice.

I only went to Tokyo when I briefly visited Japan. The thing that terrifies me is
that these three reasonable-sounding rules sound strange to the REST of Japan!
Yeah, these 3 rules are indeed rules in Tokyo. And it can get to extreme, like no one will cross a road even if there is no car at all at any distance just because the light is still red. So whether they are "reasonable" really depends on perspective. On the other hand, all 3 rules are considered total rubbish in Osaka. Ha ha ha...

May 14, 2013 9:28 PM

Feb 2013
You don't usually find good for for cheap XD

Complain about the restaurant? LOL I wouldn't do that unless it was REALLY bad
Sep 8, 2014 7:17 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice episode, let's see what the last episode will offer us!
Dec 20, 2020 12:36 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
LMAO the ending song Omelet Rice Girl

"The bacon's different than usual, so the omelet rice is a little salty. As I watch you working so hard, my tears make it even saltier."
張大です for 張大勇督察

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" Episode 3 Discussion

kingshu - Jan 11, 2013

30 by DYNEadvance »»
Dec 29, 2022 4:59 PM

Poll: » Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2013

39 by bushman66 »»
Jul 2, 2022 6:48 PM

Poll: » Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2012

75 by bushman66 »»
Jul 2, 2022 6:46 PM

» Episode title references

Fuseteam - May 23, 2022

2 by Fuseteam »»
May 28, 2022 10:09 PM

Poll: » Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

26 by Fuseteam »»
May 23, 2022 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.