Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2013 4:26 PM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
IIIIII KNEEEEEEW ITTTTTT

Like ages ago.

50% chance of recovery? Bitch, I'ma dance through space.

Also, lolicon.
Sep 16, 2013 5:20 PM

May 2012
Yes! Finally done! And good thing they got married despite the very wide age gap..
Sep 18, 2013 1:59 AM

Jun 2008
Dramatic climax with a happy ending, as expected of old classic anime :P I knew Jervis was the Long leg daddy but never understood why he did what he did but now i understand >W> and that age gap wow Dx
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2014 10:28 PM
Jan 2011
rebelakuma said:
Yes! Finally done! And good thing they got married despite the very wide age gap..

What was the age gap?
Sep 16, 2014 10:47 AM
Apr 2014
This anime is so great at building momentum and anticipation. Really love it. I didn't think of anything for Jervis being the DLL until at least episode 30. The ending were well-deserved and totally worth watching!! I gave this anime 4.5/5.
Nov 22, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2012
Knew it for certain in the episode when Jarvis goes to meet Julia on the balcony in New York and his shadow has huge legs!
Sep 1, 2016 10:50 PM

Jun 2016
Can't say Jervis being daddy was a huge surprise but I'm happy with how everything turned out. Easy 8 or 9/10 for this series as it was perhaps the best coming of age story I've ever seen. The cast was phenomenal with every character being portrayed very realistically, colorfully and memorably. The development that both Judy and Julia went through by the end was absolutely insane. Super happy with Daddy Long Legs. Julia for best tsundere in anime apart of Asuka??
Sep 14, 2017 3:21 PM
Aug 2014
Bit disappointing that the finale was mostly recap, but Jervis being John Smith wasn't exactly surprising as he'd show up every time Judy wrote about her troubles to John Smith.

The drama was a bit too much at times which is what's stopping me from giving it a 10.
Sep 28, 2017 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
So I had to spoil it for myself before I even started the anime and already knew who daddy long legs was which seemed to ruin the fun in a way but it was still overall great I'm glad I picked up this anime
Nov 14, 2017 1:36 AM

Aug 2014
good ending to a good show
Jan 2, 2018 3:58 AM

Jan 2017
Episode 14 was where the story became inconsistent and Judy's periodical depressions started to appear. Dramatization.
Contemporary0091Jan 2, 2018 9:56 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 2, 2018 4:00 AM

Nov 2017
Wtffff "Daddy long legs" is an Anime?!?!
Sep 6, 2018 5:53 PM
Aug 2011
THAT "BIG REVEAL" LOL
I'm kind of stunned that people were even slightly surprised that Jervis = John Smith.

A solid series like pretty much all WMT anime i've seen however the romantic aspect was too much for my liking.
I can acknowledge Judy's growth (and Julia's etc.) but sadly she never quite grew on me as a character. Which is probably why I felt like these last ~10 episodes or so with the romantic subplot bought down my enjoyment.
Judy's not the most dramatic lead i've seen, but for some reason she grates on me more than others.
standSep 6, 2018 11:12 PM
Jun 3, 2019 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Series was not without its fair share of flaws but it was solid nonetheless.
Judy is one of the best characters I've seen since a long time.
Aug 7, 2019 2:59 AM
Nov 2018
I honestly think this episode ended well with the series. The ending without a doubt made me cry even tho it's a good ending. Love this show!! 10/10 for me
Mar 12, 2020 7:16 PM

Nov 2016
Not much of a reveal for Daddy xD

As far as the ending is concerned, you can't ask for more. Sure the drama with the pneumonia wasn't necessary and I was kinda afraid for a second that the story would actually kill off Jervis last second lol, but it was a delightful and satisfying finale. For once I didn't mind the use of flashbacks, quite the opposite in fact. Reminded me what a charming journey it has been.

There were some issues on the way, tho. Primarily during the second half. Like it was definitely not consistent when it came to the pacing. Some parts were drawn out too much, while other that needed to be fleshed out more ended up being rushed and clumsily exectuted. Imo that was a major aspect which prevented this adaptation from being masterpiece material. Still loved it overall. In particular the episodic parts of the first half. They were so precious and simply a joy to watch.

Regarding the characters, Judy's development was pretty good, same can be said about Julia. They've really grown on me. Sallie was a bit more stale in comparison, but I liked her as well.

8/10 WMT did it again for me

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2020 8:57 AM

Sep 2011
I love that Jervis had to be extra and show her his shadow before revealing himself as her Daddy Long Legs at the cost of risking his life. lol And it's nice to know that it was hard for him to be both Jervis and her Daddy Long Legs at the same time. Judy wasn't the only carrying the weight of a secret. I do feel that everything was solved too easily, but I guess that there was nothing to hold Judy back now that she faced her past. I guess it's fine. I'm also happy for Julia and Jimmie, and I guess that Bob just needs to be patient with Sallie. xD Well, it had its ups and downs, but it was an enjoyable ride.
May 27, 2020 2:41 PM

Jun 2017
It's not perfect, but when you compare the writing to basically any other romance anime, it might as well be. I guess you can at least expect that much from a literal classic novel. I give it a 9/10, it's a blast to watch, and a strong recommendation for any shojo or romance fan.

And for all the people who complain about the age gap, please don't compare yesterday's standards with today's morals...
Aug 16, 2020 9:36 AM
Feb 2015
This episode really highlights my biggest gripe with the anime's awful screenplay which has too many ridiculousl and abrupt transitions that ruin continuity. There are two instances in this episode alone: one where Judy is running along the rainy streets, and the scene cuts to a sunny parade; another where she's reading Jervis' letter and is teleported to his bedside. All in all though, the show was worth the watch and is filled with some endearing, likeable characters. 7/10
Sep 12, 2021 7:51 PM

Dec 2018
This could've potentially been one of the greatest anime of all time, but it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. The drama towards the end is probably the worst thing ever happened to the show, and I simply could not overlook it. It's not that bad, but for such a lovely, adorable and breathtaking first half, it definitely irritated me more than it should.

First half - 7.5/10
Second half - 3.5/10
Let's say it's a 6/10 for the sake of charitability.
. . .
Oct 28, 2021 11:56 PM

Sep 2018
I remember watching this show when I was a kid. I forget everything except that she's writing to Daddy long legs, and now that I finished it.. the show is corny and overdramatic but there's still good thing about it. I like the love story (except that Judy still a minor) but I'm hopeless romantic who loves lovestory with letters on it. I find love letters and phone calls romantic, the way of communication before is hard but it have something especial about it.
Also the animation is so funny sometimes, it looks ugly but it's fine, the story is more important. Judy is overdramatic and sometimes annoying but she's fine overall. My favorite character here is Julia. I like everything about her, she's a precious friend ♥️ Sallie is kind but being kind is boring as a character but she's kind lol
The boys, I got annoyed with Jimmie and I don't like Bob, Jervis is fine, I kinda like him, him being guardian and a lover is okay, the only thing I don't like is when Judy is a minor and he kiss her lol but I still find their love story as cute. I'm thinking of reading the book of it too..

Overall, I love the story, I want to see more of Jervis and Judy's marriage life but it's already finished huhu
erenmeiiOct 29, 2021 12:02 AM
Oct 30, 2021 5:40 PM

Dec 2020
Miss Sloan got a boyfriend/husband omg. she deserves to be happy
Nov 10, 2021 12:37 PM
Jul 2021
I was really happy to read the comments, I watched it almost 8-9 years ago(when I was a kid :-D) but I watched it again, Rivatch, really, I don't know what to say! Many memories came alive for me !! I think this anime is great ! At least for now, less romantic anime is attractive! However, it is still attractive, even though it is almost 22 years old ,I haven't read the author's book, but surely this anime had a very good narrative of the book,
animedoostNov 10, 2021 12:41 PM
Jul 12, 2022 3:48 PM
Mar 2019
I found the Romance creepy as Hell, other than that it was Good.
Jul 12, 2022 6:03 PM

Feb 2019
bushman66 said:

Haha I mean, I can justify it to myself and I thiink they're both well written and good for eachother and the times it takes place in of course but it really wasn't that creepy in the original actually. For some reason in the anime they made Judy a high schooler but in the original novel she's in University

Anyway I'll leave my thoughts too! If it weren't for a quality drop artwise in the 2nd half I think it would be a 10/10. Also I kinda wish it took place in England ^7^; and having it go into the 30s instead of the original time period in the book doesn't make much sense considering one of our characters is big old money. My second fav WMT show I've watched after Remy. Judy is a great character, the romance is well written, everyone develops wonderfully
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Jul 12, 2022 6:29 PM
Mar 2019
TeiraTiddy said:
bushman66 said:

Haha I mean, I can justify it to myself and I thiink they're both well written and good for eachother and the times it takes place in of course but it really wasn't that creepy in the original actually. For some reason in the anime they made Judy a high schooler but in the original novel she's in University

Anyway I'll leave my thoughts too! If it weren't for a quality drop artwise in the 2nd half I think it would be a 10/10. Also I kinda wish it took place in England ^7^; and having it go into the 30s instead of the original time period in the book doesn't make much sense considering one of our characters is big old money. My second fav WMT show I've watched after Remy. Judy is a great character, the romance is well written, everyone develops wonderfully

I like the Judy ( growing up ) part, just not the Romance, cannot get used to grown Men fawning over young Girls. It does happen more than you think though, in Japanese Anime.
Saw the Film version advertised recently with, of all people Fred Astaire. Did not watch it though.
Maybe it's based on a time when this sort of thing happened. 1912.
Jun 10, 2023 12:55 PM
Jun 2023
Hi, I finished this show about 2 week ago and it's still lingering inside my mind. (Also the opening and ending songs are hard stuck in my head.)

I really do wish Judy was written as a college student; I don't think it would of been any different than what the anime was like. That age difference at the beginning really did baffle me.
But other than that, it was a wonderful, charming anime bursting with that late 80s/early 90s charisma that you see in other anime of this time. And even though it's obviously directed towards a family audience, especially a younger audience, I had a good time.

It did a good job in making me want to know what happened next, and all the main characters introduced are such a wonder to watch grow up. My favorite character of all was Leonora, the beautiful and talented girl they meet later in the show. I cared so much for this girl, to the point I was close to crying when I saw the worst happening to her. Another character I surprisingly loved was Julia, the elegant rich girl who turned out to be a decent and mature human being. I LOVE those type of characters; there's one like her in the 2008 romantic anime "Toradora", where it's a rich, mature teen who has a nasty attitude but is actually a wonderful person who wants to be loved.

Judy was also intensely dramatic in the later episodes, and I wish the show explained or convinced me more on why I should feel like her dramatic antics are justifiable. In other words, I couldn't understand her strong reactions, not only because I'm not an orphan nor have I ever been anxious of people finding out that I'm an orphan, but rather because the show didn't really thoroughly make me feel those feelings that Judy was feeling. I just wanted to shake her up and tell her to communicate what she actually feels... but then the ending wouldn't have been so spicy if they both communicated clearly, and I admit this situation could be something that could happen in real life.

In the end, I was happy for Judy and my heart felt extremely warm at all those romantic scenes and strong affections. The show ran a bit long for me, and I was impatiently ready to finish it, but maybe I felt this way because of my trouble trying to understand Judy's strong reactions during the last half of the season.

So, if you're looking for a 90s anime that is feminine, cute, romantic and dramatic and that is set in a different time period, and you don't mind watching a show meant for a younger audience: this might be it.

More topics from this board

» What do you think about the romance?

Teirayo - Oct 5, 2023

1 by kannysan34 »»
Oct 23, 2023 4:54 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Ashinaga Oji-san Episode 29 Discussion

Mouse2010 - Jun 17, 2013

7 by AngelicTotoro »»
Jan 30, 2023 9:03 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan Episode 17 Discussion

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs - Aug 27, 2016

4 by AngelicTotoro »»
Jan 27, 2023 2:51 AM

Poll: » My Daddy Long Legs Episode 16 Discussion

Salmissra - Jul 30, 2012

9 by AngelicTotoro »»
Jan 27, 2023 2:47 AM

Poll: » My Daddy Long Legs Episode 15 Discussion

Salmissra - Jul 30, 2012

7 by AngelicTotoro »»
Jan 27, 2023 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.