Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2013 9:42 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Romantic comedy? Romantic comedy
Jan 17, 2013 10:12 AM

Nov 2012
.... and it looks like I was completely right. I called it in the last episode thread. Why is this labeled as Romantic Comedy?

I was really hoping that this anime would go original from the manga and give me something as least watchable, but say what, one less anime in contention for best of the season. Dark comedy is just not funny in any shape or form, for me atleast.

Anime Naxcore: 1 out of 10

Well, I decided to give this anime another chance, so I rewatched both episodes 1 and 2 and whilst I don't really like the forced drama, the comedy is just enough to balance it. So for now atleast, I will withdraw my previous statements and score for this anime and give it another go with an open mind. Hopefully it keeps the balance and it will be a serious contender for best of the season.

Also, the line that made me rethink everything: Perverted Wind! I literally laughed out loud for that.
NaxrrhidJan 17, 2013 6:01 PM
Jan 17, 2013 10:39 AM

Aug 2010
Naxrrhid said:
.... and it looks like I was completely right. I called it in the last episode thread. Why is this labeled as Romantic Comedy?

I was really hoping that this anime would go original and give me something as least watchable, but say what, one less anime in contention for best of the season. Dark comedy is just not funny in any shape or form, for me atleast.

I don't tihnk you understand the concept of originality. There aren't many shows like this, and any show that can surprise you should be deemed original in some way. Hence the...surprise. Clearly you dont like the unexpected approach this show is taking, but that doesn't make it unoriginal.

This is one of the more original shows of the season. And one of the best ones at that. I prefer my comedies to have feeling on the side. The best comedies have excellent serious moments, and this is a prime example.
Jan 17, 2013 10:55 AM

May 2011
Really sweet episode. ^^
Was really satisfied with how Manabe told off Moritani for being shit towards Kotoura.
Had a brief revelation of Mifune's past and the tragedy with her mother. It's a really cruel world. :'(

ovoon7 said:
Naxrrhid said:

I was really hoping that this anime would go original and give me something as least watchable, but say what, one less anime in contention for best of the season. Dark comedy is just not funny in any shape or form, for me atleast.

I don't tihnk you understand the concept of originality. There aren't many shows like this, and any show that can surprise you should be deemed original in some way. Hence the...surprise. Clearly you dont like the unexpected approach this show is taking, but that doesn't make it unoriginal.

This is one of the more original shows of the season. And one of the best ones at that. I prefer my comedies to have feeling on the side. The best comedies have excellent serious moments, and this is a prime example.

I completely agree. This is pretty unique and doesn't have that much resemblance to others (especially for this genre). I'd say that this is a fairly fresh experience considering the majority of everything else that comes out.

But I suppose it can't be helped. There will always be some sort of attempt to bash a series when it becomes popular.
-Kenshin-Jan 17, 2013 11:00 AM
Jan 17, 2013 11:03 AM

Nov 2012
ovoon7 said:
Naxrrhid said:

I don't tihnk you understand the concept of originality.

This is my bad for not explaining properly what I meant by when I said original.

What I really meant to say was that I was hoping that the anime would have taken an original route and not follow the manga. Not that the story was not original.
Jan 17, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
Holy shit its Keima from The world god only knows!
Jan 17, 2013 11:14 AM

Nov 2011
Dem training and joining the club.

THERE IS NO ESCAPE

Well, those dirty thoughts keeps on coming but there's also some dark moments:

I liked this episode overall though. That red haired bitch got told~
Jan 17, 2013 11:19 AM

May 2011
Naxrrhid said:
What I really meant to say was that I was hoping that the anime would have taken an original route and not follow the manga. Not that the story was not original.

Wouldn't that be considered a good thing since... well... you know... it's adapting it?
And if you don't want to see something twice, just don't watch the anime. You got your manga experience, find something else to watch. =/
Jan 17, 2013 11:21 AM

Jun 2011
Naxrrhid said:
ovoon7 said:
Naxrrhid said:

I don't tihnk you understand the concept of originality.

This is my bad for not explaining properly what I meant by when I said original.

You're just contradicting what you're saying. I have watched alot of anime this is one of the most original I've seen so far. If i had read the manga I know for a fact that I would've seen things differently if I read it. The anime creators did a marvelous job with telling the story of how the main character is affected by being a social outcast because of her ability. This is no way a dark comedy, there is some dark elements but non of which made fun of the mc main problems. This was another good episode and i enjoyed it as much as the first one. 5/5
Jan 17, 2013 11:23 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Whatever else, as of right now I'm considering adding Yoshihisa to my Favorite Characters list.
Jan 17, 2013 11:24 AM

Jan 2012
Manabe was total badass in this episode.
Jan 17, 2013 11:27 AM

Nov 2012
kenshin_sama said:
Naxrrhid said:

Wouldn't that be considered a good thing since... well... you know... it's adapting it?
And if you don't want to see something twice, just don't watch the anime. You got your manga experience, find something else to watch. >.<

The first half of episode 1 was original, so hoping for well..., you know..., a romantic school comedy (like what the genres tags are) and not something else made sense.

Anyways, I don't want to go off topic and have a back and forth about personal taste. So lets just leave it at this.
NaxrrhidJan 17, 2013 11:37 AM
Jan 17, 2013 11:34 AM

Jul 2010
This is one of my most "look forward to every week" shows of the season. There is a great effort underway to translating the volumes of Kotoura-san.

It certainly wasn't a nice past for Yuriko, but it helps to see why Yuriko was excited to see Haruka.
Jan 17, 2013 11:34 AM

May 2009
Naxrrhid said:
The first half of episode 1 was original, so hoping for well..., you know..., a romantic school comedy (like what the genres tags are) and not something else made sense.

It wasn't original. It was expanded and animated. Backstory is same in manga.
Jan 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Jun 2012
I haven't read the manga, but honestly it looks like the ratings will go back to normal now. They hype it received for the first half of episode 1 was way too much. This episode basically proves how it's just reverting back to a regular romantic comedy with an unique element.

If they had stayed with that extremely dark plot they introduced in the first half of the episode, they could have made this really good.

Yeah, she starts getting bullied again in this episode, but it wasn't as miserable and depressing as before. Hopefully the perverted thoughts won't be annoying as this series goes on.
Jan 17, 2013 11:41 AM

May 2011
Naxrrhid said:
kenshin_sama said:
Naxrrhid said:

And if you don't want to see something twice, just don't watch the anime. You got your manga experience, find something else to watch. >.<

It still doesn't change the fact that it's an adaption of the source material. While changes to the story can be made as an attempt to improve the quality, it doesn't always mean that it will completely stray from the original.

bastek66 said:
Naxrrhid said:

It wasn't original. It was expanded and animated. Backstory is same in manga.

Oh is it? I'm sort of in the dark on this since there isn't any translation for the manga yet.

Taku33 said:
If they had stayed with that extremely dark plot they introduced in the first half of the episode, they could have made this really good.

It's still a romance-comedy anime. I rather like the romance in this series anyways and I consider the dark story is a sort of icing on the cake. Plus, it wouldn't be all that great if it happened every episode. It just doesn't work like that.
-Kenshin-Jan 17, 2013 11:45 AM
Jan 17, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2008
When Muroto appeared, first person to come to mind was Keima (TWOGK)... then I saw his sized and pft. Then he spoke... Same voice actor...
Jan 17, 2013 11:49 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Taku33 said:
Hopefully the perverted thoughts won't be annoying as this series goes on.
(Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to argue against what you just said, your comment just made me think about something I wanted to share). In most of these shows that feature guys fantasizing about such things I also tend to roll my eyes, but here I'm not troubled by it. Most males that age (and older) spend a considerable amount of time thinking about females, mostly in ways having little, if anything, to do with 'romance'. Yoshihisa's problem is that he has fallen for a girl who can read his mind and see what he is 'seeing', so even if he didn't tend to be openly honest about such things he would be "in a bind". In for a penny, in for a pound. He has nothing to lose by being open and honest with her about what he's thinking.
Jan 17, 2013 11:50 AM

Oct 2011
Taku33 said:
I haven't read the manga, but honestly it looks like the ratings will go back to normal now. They hype it received for the first half of episode 1 was way too much. This episode basically proves how it's just reverting back to a regular romantic comedy with an unique element.

Or it could become really bad - I for one am happy it goes into more lighthearted elements, with occasional drama here and there but it being just an addition.
Not that it wasn't easy to predict after first episode, so this hype was weird for me.

but to the point:
new characters seems nice, even Moritani (now they only have to make her more friendly... which will take probably 1 or 2 episodes). Showing President motivation was well done.

And Manabe was good - his creative imagination is one thing, but I like way he acts for Kotoura's sake. For once male character which I can like.
Jan 17, 2013 11:51 AM

Aug 2010
One of the animes I look forward to watching each week.

This week didn't disappoint. Personally, I like how it shifts between comedy and drama now and then (and Kotoura is like 250% huggable - btw, love that gif there, kenshin_sama)

Also, Manabe LVLUP! Manabe is now a lvl. 2 Badass!

PS: I hope they show some of Manabe's Yuri-thoughts =)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Jan 17, 2013 11:53 AM

May 2010
Those Bitch's, why cant she just be happy? alway gotta make some feel down. glad to see her happy 3/4 of the way through the episode :)
Jan 17, 2013 11:54 AM

Jan 2010
So glad that the anime still has that dark feel to it at times, cuz otherwise the first half of episode one would just feel out of place in the series.
It's interesting to see the psychological damage that Kotoura's and Mifune's pasts have caused them, and even better to see how they will overcome it. Anime has a nice pacing to it so far too.
Jan 17, 2013 11:55 AM

Feb 2012
Manabe is by far my fav MC of the season. Love that he genuinely cares for Kotoura and is all-around kind and caring. He understands people's feelings and defends those he likes. Not only that, but his perverted thoughts are awesome lol. "perverted wind" - I nearly fell out my chair at that.

All in all a great ep. We got introduced to new characters and saw bits of Mifune's past/mom.

I'm more surprised that Moritani is actually one of the main characters. After what she did to Kotoura and being confronted by Manabe, you'd think she'd fade into a side character. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

I look forward to more eps!
Jan 17, 2013 12:00 PM

May 2011
Wordsmith said:
(and Kotoura is like 250% huggable - btw, love that gif there, kenshin_sama)

Thanks! :D
I loved that part of the OP. Kotoura is adorable. :3
Jan 17, 2013 12:01 PM

Nov 2011
What we learned today? Karma can bite your ass really fast, dont you agree Moritani-chan?
Jan 17, 2013 12:05 PM

Feb 2012
Onbuu said:
What we learned today? Karma can bite your ass really fast, dont you agree Moritani-chan?
Agreed.

Moritani just went and got herself friend-zoned for life. Lol ;D
Jan 17, 2013 12:09 PM
Aug 2011
People were just expecting WAY too much from what they say in the first episode that now they are disappointed with the romance. I'm pretty sure it was always labeled as romance.

That scene with the girl and Manabe and telling her that Kotoura threw up because her mind was so dirty was freaking golden.
Sucks for you Moritani.

Paul said:
When Muroto appeared, first person to come to mind was Keima (TWOGK)... then I saw his sized and pft. Then he spoke... Same voice actor...

I didn't realize Shimono Hiro and Hanazawa Kana were voicing in this. Pleasant surprise.

Wordsmith said:

yes let's do this and turn it into another dime-a-dozen shitty heavy fanservice geared shows
Jan 17, 2013 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
It was an awesome episode. The club room was awesome :P NO ESCAPE!
Jan 17, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2011
I enjoyed this episode pretty much ^^ Kotoura-chan is cute :)
Nice that she could make some new friends ^^

Jan 17, 2013 12:12 PM
Aug 2012
I hate this show.
Jan 17, 2013 12:15 PM

Jan 2008
Wait wait wait.... that red haired b***h is a main character? D:
Jan 17, 2013 12:16 PM

Nov 2012
megucas said:
I hate this show.

Sucks to be you :P
Jan 17, 2013 12:16 PM

May 2012
She threw up! Kotoura is so cute.
Jan 17, 2013 12:18 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
Wait wait wait.... that red haired b***h is a main character? D:
Yea that surprised me too.

In the OP it looks like they get pretty friendly so it should be interesting to see how it progresses.
Jan 17, 2013 12:18 PM

Sep 2012
THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT THE ROMANCE IS OFF THE RICHTER SCALE OMG *FANBOY VOICE* 10/10 EPISODE

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2013 12:25 PM

Mar 2012
Generic romantic comedy mixed mixed with some hackneyed drama = Unoriginal, boring...

But fuck it, throw some ESP and some of the most cloying melodrama I've ever seen = Original! Groundbreaking! Masterpiece!

Oh, MAL. You so moe. Keep it up, sport!
Jan 17, 2013 12:25 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, mix of drama and gags. I really like it, plus Kotoura is real cute.
Jan 17, 2013 12:27 PM

Aug 2010
parfaited said:

Wordsmith said:

yes let's do this and turn it into another dime-a-dozen shitty heavy fanservice geared shows

Your rage sustains me!
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Jan 17, 2013 12:32 PM

Feb 2012
RMNDolphy said:
Generic romantic comedy mixed mixed with some hackneyed drama = Unoriginal, boring...

But fuck it, throw some ESP and some of the most cloying melodrama I've ever seen = Original! Groundbreaking! Masterpiece!

Ah, you're one of those guys.

I actually feel sorry that you can't simply enjoy a show and have to be so cynical about everything.
Jan 17, 2013 12:35 PM
Aug 2012
RMNDolphy said:

o(´^`)o Pretty much. The first episode drama was enough for me to really really not want to watch it, then it flips on a dime to this generic rom-com..? How am I supposed to not hate it? What am I supposed to feel? Laugh at the jokes or cry from the overly done drama? I feel like this show can't decide what it wants to be and keeps flip flopping to this super serious tragedy about Kotoura's life or this rom-com with a perverted MC (no where near original mind you).

Sigh..
Jan 17, 2013 12:38 PM

Dec 2011
Hahaha. Love the lock the door scenes...

And Manabe is the Man! That is how you do it!

Can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans the ESP club will bring!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2013 12:39 PM
Aug 2012
Yvese said:

I actually feel sorry that you can't simply enjoy a show and have to be so cynical about everything.

There's a difference between blindly loving a show and being able to criticize its flaws and still like it, you seem to be the blind lover, as all of his points are valid.
Jan 17, 2013 12:40 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:

Your generic butthurt is worse. Keep bashing on popular anime as if it's not so mainstream.
Jan 17, 2013 12:43 PM
Aug 2012
kenshin_sama said:
Your generic butthurt is worse. Keep bashing on popular anime as if it's not so mainstream.

This is what's wrong with not being able to accept the flaws of something. Complete blind fanboyism with a side of ad hominem.
Jan 17, 2013 12:48 PM

May 2011
megucas said:
kenshin_sama said:

This is what's wrong with not being able to accept the flaws of something. Complete blind fanboyism with a side of ad hominem.

And since when do people ever watch anything without bias? I could easily point out something wrong with every anime I've ever watched, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

I understand that this anime tries to focus a lot on the dark aspects of others' lives and I know this has a lot of themes that you would see in just about any romance comedy, but that doesn't mean it should be labeled as something that doesn't deserve its praise. I can accept that others dislike it, but I hate it when they give a typical response that you would normally see from the average hater (it's especially bad if you're trying to call something else generic).

Jul 2011
Kotoura-san, the comedy that's gonna hit you in the feels one episode at a time lol. Loved this episode!!!

Jan 2008
megucas said:
Yvese said:

There's a difference between blindly loving a show and being able to criticize its flaws and still like it, you seem to be the blind lover, as all of his points are valid.

There's also a difference between blindly hating a show and being able to criticize its flaws.

megucas said:
I hate this show.

That is not how you do it, so none of your points are valid.

Your no different than a someone showing their enjoying affecting for the anime, simply in reverse. At the very least RMNDolphy wrote something negative (in a sarcastic sense) with something to back it up.
Jan 17, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
megucas said:
Yvese said:

Unlike you, I don't look for flaws in every show. I watch something to enjoy myself since anime is entertainment.

Just like you enjoy having 2 guys in your avatar being lovey-dovey, I enjoy the quirks of this show.

If you don't like it, simply drop it and move on or just don't post at all - nobody needs to hear your negativity more than once. We get it, you don't like it. That's too bad, but there's plenty of other shows out there you might enjoy.
Jan 17, 2013 12:49 PM

Jan 2013
Now im starting to like her senpai , i mean they're really true to Kotoura. I thought she was just using her :|

As for Moritani got told off by Manabe, i think she deseves that.

ovoon7 said:
I prefer my comedies to have feeling on the side.

+1.
Jan 17, 2013 12:50 PM

Oct 2012
megucas said:
kenshin_sama said:

Come on dude, just let them enjoy the anime. Just because you think those aspects are considered flaws doesn't mean everyone has too, and it doesn't really mean they are blind fanboys for disagreeing. No need to start an argument.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2013

196 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

456 by _untitled »»
Mar 4, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.