Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 15, 2012 8:13 AM

Nov 2010
I was hoping on seeing some positive comments in regards to this movie.
I must say I didn't know what to expect at all out of this film but I am oh so glad I watched it. I was very much into the film and the review from Firechick12012 although I feel it reveals too much that is best experienced by watching it it was a complement for those who watched it (well those who clicked the "Helpful" button that is). It was grueling to watch the main character being treated and I am sure it will tests peoples resolve not to lash out in anger but instead to have faith in their loved ones.

I don't ever see anime films or episodes that has the courage to befriend those we may not see much of except those with kind and patient souls. You'll know what I mean if you watch the movie. The synopsis from those at AniDB Please visit it and read it and then give this movie a shot, don't be discouraged by its age (1999). A smile will bear on your face but then taken away but returned once more as it did with the main character and tears will be shed that are both sad and happy.
kantoriDec 15, 2012 8:19 AM
Jan 9, 2013 9:55 PM

Jun 2010
Goes through a lot of interesting ideas in only 80 minutes, but it sure lays it on thick at times.
Feb 17, 2013 5:53 AM

Jul 2010
I was hoping on seeing some positive comments in regards to this movie.
I must say I didn't know what to expect at all out of this film but I am oh so glad I watched it. I was very much into the film and the review from Firechick12012 although I feel it reveals too much that is best experienced by watching it it was a complement for those who watched it (well those who clicked the "Helpful" button that is). It was grueling to watch the main character being treated and I am sure it will tests peoples resolve not to lash out in anger but instead to have faith in their loved ones.

Hehe. Sorry for revealing too much. At the time of the review I saw it RAW (well, with Russian subs but I didn't understand those) and REALLY BAD sound quality so I thought I'd put down what I understood in the movie into the review in case it never got subbed (thank God that got rectified!). Glad you liked it, though!
Mar 12, 2014 7:14 AM
Dec 2011
I smiled. I laughed. I cried. This movie was a masterpiece. I mostly cried. I cried for about 40 minutes straight and I'm still crying as I type this. What a great movie.
Aug 8, 2014 1:23 AM

Jul 2013
Great movie, I agree it lays it on thick at times but that's just the nature of kids movies I guess. It has very touching moments and very uncomfortable but well handled moments. Now I can be sad that no one wants to sub Momoko.
Aug 13, 2014 5:22 PM

Feb 2010
At first I didn't like this very much. The art was not my cup of tea (for the characters mostly) and the cruelty of the classmembers and Asukas family seemed to random and forced. Then his brother suddenly changed for no apparent reason and I felt kinda disconnected with the whole cast. But it didn't take long and I found myself really liking the developments, getting teary-eyed on various occasions and even cheering for Naoto when he told his mom that he would drop out of schoool. Even though I still feel some characters/developments could have been fleshed out or were too sudden, I'm easily swayed to overlook stuff like that when I connect with the cast emotionally. For some characters like her brother the change in behaviour and insight into the mental process behind it were presented out of chronological order so it took a while, but in the end everyone got a chance to redeem themselves and I was able to empathize with them to some degree.
Now I'm a sucker for well done drama like this, with a lot of redemption scenes and weak people growing stronger etc... and I was really impressed by the wide range of emotions this movie evoked in me. It's rare for a movie to do that (series, sure) and while you could probably call the fact that every single characters got their redemption and a somewhat happy ending (well, with the obvious exception of Megumi) cheesy, I really enjoyed that the point of the show was that behind most 'evil' actions there is a story and the 'bullies' are usually just as unhappy as their victims.
While I still think it could have been written even better if it had more time and the visuals and audio were far from impressive, all that didn't really matter in the end and I can't give this any lower than a high 8/10 for how much I enjoyed it!
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 26, 2016 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
I agree that it felt like the brother just went 180. He should have at least had some sort of regretful scene to flow it better.

The movie is also way too syrupy at times and get's to a point of being cringy. The issues it talk's about a very important but these sort of thing's should be approached more subtly.

And this might make sound like horrible person but i started laughing during the river scene at the end.
KuruwinNov 17, 2017 11:03 AM
Jul 15, 2016 10:48 PM
Aug 2011
Aw I loved it. Sure did have some harsh 180 transitions with some characters, I was surprised at how douchey Asuka's brother was and then he was basically her saving grace the next scene.

Despite that being the case I still enjoyed everyone's resolution and the general happy ending.
If I had a favorite anime children list Asuka would surely be included. She just warmed my heart.
Jan 12, 2017 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
*cries* uuuuueeee forget anything like angel beat THIS is the real tear breaker in the hearts of people like me. it takes alot for a movie just to make me like this. my tears rolled down my cheeks this time, unbelievable and i only found this while i was looking at the kids section anime.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jul 19, 2017 11:42 PM

Jan 2013
9/10
Not the most convincing redemption of her brother or mother.
Still a very emotional movie.
Nov 13, 2017 9:25 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Man, I wasn't expecting all this. I was expecting something with some cliche tragic stuff, but they handled it well.

Sadly, I understood Naoto's character a little too well. You're quick to point out the flaws of (read: BULLY) those close to you, especially when others are doing the same. You're following what your parents want, and it's been really hard for you to do so. You feel like you should be praised for being the "good child". You've put a lot of work into meeting all the expectations and then some. You feel high and mighty; you let your siblings know this. But oh god, when you realize that among the ridicule, disappointment, and what others take as failure, your loved one has been hurting. He's been hurting so much. And then suddenly all of that high and mighty bullshit just goes out the window. You've been adding to the bullying. You've been adding to the pain. And sometimes it takes that loved one getting this sick... breaking down that hard on you to realize it's not too late to turn your shit around and actually give more support than the flimsy support you've been giving.
I am ashamed to say I have been exactly in Naoto's shoes, and I too had the same exact 180 change.
Just like that.
Let me stop crying.

I can't say the same for the mother. The change was definitely more personal, so they would have needed more time spent in her head. Naoto's big trigger was actually being there to see his sister being sick and seeing first hand that her position in the family wasn't just about her not meeting expectations, nor mother being busy; it was more about neglect.

I'm impressed with the way the emotions in this movie were actually reactive. It was very real in that sense. For example, one person would cry, then another would start feeling their pain and start crying too. There was more depth in the emotions than I usually see in anime. I feel like there's always a lot of solo crying, but not a lot of reacting to it (while understanding why the other character is crying) beyond someone standing there stupid until the crying person runs away. After they're alone, they might think or something, but this type of reaction was more true to life. When others cry, others often cry too-- and because of that real feeling, I ended up crying too.

I also liked how Asuka changed. Seeing her grow stronger was beautiful. Heck, seeing the brother grow stronger was great too. The whole classroom coming together in a way was enjoyable.

They could have went a little deeper into certain aspects. For example, not everyone digs what seems like random changes in the brother and mother. I totally think someone falling over in front of you can cause you to change your ways. By his body language and through the dialogue, you can see he's panicked/scared. Realizing that their mother won't even be there for the sister even in a situation he didn't know how to deal with completely or was scared to deal with can definitely open someone's eyes. Still, maybe even just a little shot of Naoto's face emphasizing that he wasn't comfortable with what his mother was saying about his sister before the dramatic trigger would have made the change a lot better. Downcast eyes, something.

I also think maybe some of the transitions from scene to scene could have been handled a little better.

Still, it was a good movie!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 8, 2018 2:40 AM

Jun 2015
Weird movie because even though it seems heavy-handed for the major part of its airing, still manages to create some notable emotional impact.

I particularly liked the scene in where Asuka talks back to her mother.
I'm not just someone's personal asset!
Mar 24, 2019 7:56 AM

Mar 2016
The problem with a story like this is that it can obscure the complexities of real-life tragedy. However, if fiction, if anime, can do anything, it can find hope and friendship in even the most tragic circumstances. Asuka is a beautiful person, and this movie was joy to watch. Writers of dramatic anime stories should take some cues from this movie, especially regarding the emotions of the characters and how those emotions are expressed.

I wish it was a little longer.
Apr 9, 2019 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
This is, single handedly, the most emotional thing I've ever watched in my life. With the exception of when my dog died, I have never cried so much in my life, especially when Megumi died.

This is a very educational film, and for those with abusive parents, and those who have/had been bullied in school, this hits close to home for many people. I'm glad to see that all the characters who were abusive realized the error of their ways.

This is a masterpiece. I used an entire box of tissues from wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. Everyone needs to see this movie.

Apr 9, 2019 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
This is, single handedly, the most emotional thing I've ever watched in my life. With the exception of when my dog died, I have never cried so much in my life, especially when Megumi died.

This is a very educational film, and for those with abusive parents, and those who have/had been bullied in school, this hits close to home for many people. I'm glad to see that all the characters who were abusive realized the error of their ways.

This is a masterpiece. I used an entire box of tissues from wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. Everyone needs to see this movie.

Yes I absolutely loved this movie. The second best thing I've seen from anime and easily the best anime movie.

Such a shame that very few people have heard of this.
Apr 9, 2019 7:26 PM

Jun 2014
HungryForQuality said:
Seiya said:

Yes I absolutely loved this movie. The second best thing I've seen from anime and easily the best anime movie.

Such a shame that very few people have heard of this.

Indeed.

Seeing your avatar earlier today was what convinced me to watch it.

Feb 2, 2020 3:34 PM

Nov 2016
Beautiful.

I agree that it wasn't very subtle, but it's a kids movie after all. As for the character development, it served it's purpose. Surely could've been done better but bringing the point across is more important in this case (and there's only so much you can do within 80 minutes) On that front it fully delivered and bittersweet stories like this are right up my alley.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 27, 2022 7:48 AM
Sep 2021
This movie played too heavily on sympathy and the puppy dog effect, every cruel action has an equal balancing backstory to try and justify it. It’s to far from reality to believe any of it, just one emotional turmoil after another. Her mother is a horrible disgraceful parent, her brothers is his mums sunshine boy and a real asshole who copies his mums appalling mistreatment of his younger sister (it was surprising she did try attempting suicide herself) the the class bully is an egotistical narcissist. So let’s now flip them all 180 and make their actions OK? That’s not how real life works, their actions are NOT OK. and no amount of justification can change that… bad people can sometimes do good deeds but it doesn’t automatically make them good people. Sins of the father do not becomes sins of the son, you have no right to to hurt others because you yourself where once hurt, the buck stops with YOU. The story and it’s premise where good but the execution of these serious topics was very poor as was the animation and sound. 3/10 want something better in the same genre go watch
“A silent voice”

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Birthday: Inochi Kagayaku Toki Episode 1 Discussion

greebo - May 22, 2017

2 by bushman66 »»
Mar 21, 2023 6:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.