Forum Settings
Forums

Pacific Rim: "Kaiju Attack!" (Western Live-action Mecha movie)

New
Nov 29, 2012 8:35 PM
Aug 2008

Director: Guillermo del Toro "When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, start rising from the sea, a war begins that takes millions of lives and consumes humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon is devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers prove nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse." The release date is July 12, 2013.

Anyone else excited for this? Looks like it's inspired by anime. This could either turn out really good or really bad. XD So each Jaeger is piloted by 2 people, except the Chinese one is 3 (And the Japanese one looks like it is piloted by only one?)

http://www.panpacificdefense.com/ There's a countdown on the website for December 12th, so I'm guessing that's when the teaser trailer is released.

There are probably more Jaegers but these are the only ones I've seen so far.

Blueprints:

Japan- "Coyote Tango":

Russia-"Cherno Alpha":

USA-"Gipsy Danger":

Australia-"Striker Eureka":

Hong Kong-"Crimson Typhoon"

http://deltorofilms.com/wp/2012/11/29/featured/jaeger-shots-pacrim-viral-campaign-underway
Kittybear29Nov 29, 2012 11:53 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2012 9:26 PM

Sep 2011
I'm excited, I've like most of del Toro's works so far, I have faith that he made a good movie. Also ,I've been a huge fan of Godzilla and Ultraman since I was young too and Wikipedia says "The film will be an homage to Japanese giant monster films" and quotes Toro saying it will be "a beautiful poem to giant monsters", so yea, definitely looking forward to this.

I'm actually pretty antsy right now, between this, watching the hobbit trailer, reading about the Star Trek sequel and a Van Helsing reboot, not to mention the movies out now (like Skyfall, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Argo, Cloud Atlas), I just don't know what to do with myself.

Edit:
Kittybear29 said:
And the Japanese one looks like it is piloted by only one?

All the mecha anime has given them superior robot piloting skills.
EeyoreNov 29, 2012 9:39 PM
Nov 29, 2012 9:47 PM

Aug 2009
The synopsis is what hooked me to this, and was wondering when we were gonna see a freakin' teaser already. As a kid, I've seen a few kaiju/tokusatsu stuff in my childhood, notably Ultraman and Godzilla, and loved them. I'm excited that a film similar to those entities is even being made in this day and age. Especially that THE Guillermo del Toro is directing it.

And this being a teaser, I'm kind of annoyed that people are straight up comparing this to Cloverfield. I mean yeah, okay, but I'm pretty sure the final cut of what Pacific Rim will end up being won't be found footage like that one was.

Also, idk, Cloverfield was kinda okay. It's not great, but I thought it wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
dietmangoNov 30, 2012 12:08 AM
Nov 29, 2012 11:15 PM

Nov 2011
OH GOD! Yes please.
The Art of Eight
Dec 17, 2012 6:25 AM

Sep 2012
New trailer

Saw this trailer on Friday and I've hit replay like 30 times already. Looks like it's going to be freaking awesome!!! The soundtrack was kick ass and the speech that Idris Elba gives just makes me think "F you kaiju, we got this shit" I like the USA and Australia model.
Dec 17, 2012 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Guillermo Del Toho!
Dec 17, 2012 10:17 AM

Mar 2011
Mindless mecha action with no real plot.

Hell.
YES!
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Apr 29, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
Bump. Con footage. I am so so in for this movie.

Apr 30, 2013 8:26 AM

Apr 2012
I just looks like Cloverfield.

Personally I'd rather watch del Toro's Monster live-action on HBO.
Apr 30, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2012
I really don't like the idea of two pilots, but I'm sure it's addressed in the movie. Is it just me or does Australia's mech look like the Nirvash? It is called the "Striker Eureka" after all.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Apr 30, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
DrunkenBlowfish said:

But Cloverfield was a "found footage" type movie and it didn't have mecha. Unless you mean the Kaiju looks like the actual Cloverfield monster, in which case I kinda agree, although we've only seen glimpses of footage from this movie. There might be different types of monsters.

And I too am looking forward to his adaptation of Monster and am very curious to see if they try to do a very faithful adaptation or rework it to take place in the US or something like that.
Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2012
neontaster said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:

But Cloverfield was a "found footage" type movie and it didn't have mecha. Unless you mean the Kaiju looks like the actual Cloverfield monster, in which case I kinda agree, although we've only seen glimpses of footage from this movie. There might be different types of monsters.

And I too am looking forward to his adaptation of Monster and am very curious to see if they try to do a very faithful adaptation or rework it to take place in the US or something like that.

All I have to go on is the trailer, but if its a mockumentary like the trailer implies, I might as well just watch Cloverfield, or better yet, although not a giant monster movie, Chronicle.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to Monster. I mean I know live-action anime has had a horrible track record, but I feel this one might work. I mean it one of the few that doesn't have exaggerated features or exotic, out-of-this-world hair.
Apr 30, 2013 3:40 PM

Nov 2011
I don't think they are going mockumentary here. Maybe in some parts. And if you're going to watch Chronicle you might as well watch Akira. :)
Apr 30, 2013 3:43 PM

Apr 2012
neontaster said:
And if you're going to watch Chronicle you might as well watch Akira. :)
touche
May 16, 2013 10:17 AM

Nov 2011
GOD DAMMIT THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

May 16, 2013 12:52 PM

Jan 2009
neontaster said:
GOD DAMMIT THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

this is the closest thing we can get to a american version of Gundam or Evangelion, damn excited for this movie and i heard it will be a trilogy
May 16, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2009
That new trailer looks really good. Really hoping the acting/characters are good and dont waste the visuals.
May 18, 2013 1:45 PM

Jul 2012
this has been on my radar but was almost scared to bring it up

kaiju and mecha lovers unite! the kaiju looks decent (tho i'd love to see Hedorah poop on San Francisco) and the mecha look pretty hot as well

I'm a HUGE action fan (GOOD action that is) From the moment i saw the original Terminator i've been a bitch for this stuff.

i'll be at the first showing. well, in the morning. lol
May 18, 2013 1:48 PM

Nov 2011
daintybiscuit said:

kaiju and mecha lovers unite! the kaiju looks decent (tho i'd love to see Hedorah poop on San Francisco) and the mecha look pretty hot as well

I'm a HUGE action fan (GOOD action that is) From the moment i saw the original Terminator i've been a bitch for this stuff.

Looks to me like the Kaiju are all different. There's one scene where you see one that looks like a pterodactyl.
May 22, 2013 4:18 PM

Jan 2009
NickyCharisma said:
I really don't like the idea of two pilots, but I'm sure it's addressed in the movie.

its already explained here - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10102300234348746

left brain hemisphere and right brain hemisphere hence why two pilots are needed, piloting a Jaeger alone is very stressful to one pilot
May 22, 2013 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
neontaster said:
daintybiscuit said:

Looks to me like the Kaiju are all different. There's one scene where you see one that looks like a pterodactyl.

nice, thats much better actually
May 22, 2013 6:04 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
NickyCharisma said:
I really don't like the idea of two pilots, but I'm sure it's addressed in the movie.

its already explained here - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10102300234348746

left brain hemisphere and right brain hemisphere hence why two pilots are needed, piloting a Jaeger alone is very stressful to one pilot

Mini Instrumentality Project!

I like this because it could potentially lead to some depth in the characters, and it's also just sort of an interesting idea.

EDIT: Here is the video from the link above:

Jun 3, 2013 4:26 PM

Jul 2007
Yep. In every possible way this project reeks of WIN. There's nothing that can go wrong when you have Guilermo DelToro creating giant robots, lol :P

can't wait for this movie

Also got to say that the whole official cross-promotion thing with TGS that was just announced sounds cool as hell too.

Considering the personalities involved in it, the resulting official mini-movie is going to be hilarious.
Jul 6, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan 2012
Yeah guess it's a debate that has already been in here at some point, but well the movie's so close now, and i want to hear some opinions:D

Personally i don't think that it's a total rip-off of NGE, but i think the the wirter and director difinitely has found some inspiration in anime... i'm really looking forward to it since i really like mecha series, and i think think that Pacific Rim is gonna be a good first time live-action mecha:D(though it's hollywood)

Anyone who see it in a total different aspect:D???
Jul 6, 2013 5:17 PM

Jun 2010
We'll see whether it's a ripoff when the movie comes out.
Jul 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Nov 2012
Could be a Gantz rip off?
Jul 6, 2013 6:57 PM

Oct 2012
Hideo Kojima and Kanye West are giving it great reviews of it not just being a giant robot movie, and with Guillermo del Toro writing/directing I don't see it being a failure or generic. He also has interests in comics and kaiju movies so that's where some comparisons can be made.

Unit-01 said:
Could be a Gantz rip off?

How can it be compared to Gantz ?
GehirnJul 6, 2013 7:02 PM
Jul 6, 2013 11:22 PM

Mar 2010
I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing. This is the closest a recent hollywood movie has ever been to just being anime.

Personally, I don't think anyone could pull it off... eh, tastefully?
Jul 6, 2013 11:29 PM

Jun 2012
Venom_TAG said:

Humans protecting the world from foreign invasion itself is enough to make a comparison to Gantz.

Obviously there are far more parallels to NGE.
Jul 6, 2013 11:32 PM

Apr 2011
Reminded me of Aquarion Evol :/

Just hope that if it incorporates elements of anime, not to fuck it up like Dragonball or ATLA
Jul 7, 2013 12:00 AM

Apr 2012
Seen it tonight at a free screening. Trust me if your not going to watch this because you think its ripping off of Evangelion then it's your lose.
Jul 7, 2013 12:06 AM

Oct 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Venom_TAG said:

Humans protecting the world from foreign invasion itself is enough to make a comparison to Gantz.

Obviously there are far more parallels to NGE.

By that concept I could compare it Dragonball Z, even Pocahontas just not saving the world scale.
Jul 7, 2013 12:09 AM

Jan 2013
Physiicx said:
Reminded me of Aquarion Evol :/

Just hope that if it incorporates elements of anime, not to fuck it up like Dragonball or ATLA
Even Dragonball: The Magic Begins is better than Dragonball: Evolution.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 7, 2013 11:22 AM

Feb 2012
Weeaboos seem to think everything is a rip-off of an anime.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Jul 7, 2013 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
Bloodcalibur said:

I just have to agree with you on this one.
Jul 7, 2013 12:03 PM

Aug 2009
Bloodcalibur said:

Well everything is. I mean, I'm pretty sure Rocky is a big rip-off of Hajime no Ippo, right?

B3Chandler said:
Seen it tonight at a free screening. Trust me if your not going to watch this because you think its ripping off of Evangelion then it's your lose.

Damn you, how was it?
Jul 7, 2013 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
Hideo Kojima tweeted this: "Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?"

I hope to go on Thursday. So excited about this.
neontasterJul 7, 2013 9:00 PM
Jul 7, 2013 8:19 PM

Oct 2008
i've heard only great things about this from those who have seen it
Jul 7, 2013 11:22 PM
Mar 2012
I'm not interested. Not because it looks bad, but it feels too mediocre. None of the characters have impressed me beyond Idris Elba (Can't wait for Luther new season this month!!) and the so-called speech the trailers always pimp is actually pretty horrendous. Travis Beacham is a terrible writer.

Elysium will be the blockbuster to beat this year. Mark my word.
Jul 10, 2013 12:38 PM
Jul 2013
Real life gundam movie? Sounds cool! I'm ready for this.
Jul 10, 2013 12:40 PM

Nov 2011
Going to one of the first showings tomorrow. Really psyched.
Jul 12, 2013 5:43 AM

Nov 2011
Awesome fun movie, and it is anime as fuck. So many little references and stylistic homages. Really cool.
Jul 12, 2013 2:04 PM

May 2013
This is the best summer blockbuster movie since Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back, and the best live-action anime movie that isn't actually anime.

Rating: 9 / 10 "HOLY !@#$ing SHIT"

See this movie in the theatres, you won't regret it. The only people that didn't like it are people who had pre-determined opinions about this "generic robot rip-off".
Jul 12, 2013 2:12 PM

Nov 2011
Julliant said:
This is the best summer blockbuster movie since Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back, and the best live-action anime movie that isn't actually anime.

Rating: 9 / 10 "HOLY !@#$ing SHIT"

See this movie in the theatres, you won't regret it. The only people that didn't like it are people who had pre-determined opinions about this "generic robot rip-off".

Every time they spoke a little Japanese I thought to myself "They just went full anime." Hahaha.
Jul 12, 2013 3:14 PM

Oct 2012
Not the two thousand five hundred tons of awesome that I wanted, but then again it wasn't the two thousand five hundred tons of awful that it could have been. Super mediocre and ultimately forgettable.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 12, 2013 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
I just came back from a showing in Image 3D. Pretty awesome. Couldn't stop thinking Neon Genesis Evangelion. I mean it wasn't perfect, the viocing acting was crap and the plot was entirely predictable, save a few details here and there, but it just felt SO right. I really felt like kid again watching my first mech anime or something

Also the 3D for this movie is absolutely beautiful. In fact, for the same reasons I mentioned above, without the 3D the experience isn't nearly as great. So if you if you have the extra dough, go for the IMAX experience. Its certainly worth it
Jul 12, 2013 7:55 PM

Nov 2012
So is it worth a watch in theaters? Or is it another eye candy movie like Man of Steel?
Jul 12, 2013 7:58 PM

Jun 2011

lol.
Jul 12, 2013 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
Unit-01 said:
So is it worth a watch in theaters? Or is it another eye candy movie like Man of Steel?

I wouldn't recommend it. Watch Evangelion 2.22 instead.
Jul 12, 2013 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
going on sunday with friends, hyped as shit to see this, i also commend this movie for using actual sets rather than just go full cgi, yah theres alot of cgi but like when their in cockpits, they are actually in cockpits the crew made and so on.

Also charlie day playing a scientist warrants a watch all on its own, seeing the guy who plays the dumbest person on telivision in its always sunny being a scientist capable of making giant fighting robots, thats hilarious

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7676 by pludel2 »»
56 minutes ago

» Slowed & Reverb and Sped up Music

ST63LTH - Today

4 by YungStairwell »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3437 by Zedlin »»
6 hours ago

» What album have you listened to the most this year?

MeanMrMusician - Mar 9

27 by DesuMaiden »»
7 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

24 by DesuMaiden »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.