Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 26, 2012 1:46 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

The movie is about 1 hour and 30+ minutes and wow, this is been a good refreshment. There's battles in the beginning and Yoshika with a dog in her hands. It's nice to see everyone again especially Sonya imo at night time patrol in the sky. It's good to see Charlotte E of course when she's rowing that boat!

There's also some blood in this movie especially with one of the officers. Dat injury..ouch. Yoshika also gets injured as well but unleashes her fury. You don't want to piss her off.

A lot of nice aerial battles and scenes against those Neuroi including a small army of those flying types as well as other models (one of the types is a missile while some of the others looks like flying jets). I miss this from the original series so this is a good refreshment once again. Flying in the air while kicking ass with no pants on ftw.

Overall, a good movie for refreshment of the series imo as the team takes on that boss-like Neuroi at the end. Can't wait for Vividred Operation to debut soon.

Cute Shizuka and Yoshika aerial hug at the end there :>

Stark700Oct 26, 2012 2:00 PM
Oct 26, 2012 8:43 PM
May 2012
I want to watch it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Is it ok to give links here?

If not then I'll keep searching.
Oct 27, 2012 6:10 AM

Oct 2012
Just saw it an hour ago i guess its pretty good hoping that it continue on but i dont wanna keep my hopes up T_T
hitdemonOct 27, 2012 2:12 PM
Oct 27, 2012 6:33 AM

Jul 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Shizuka's character really developed from the single-minded way of thinking she had at the beginning of the film.

As previously noted, Strike Witches will likely continue. This will probably happen after some of the staff finishes Vividred Operation.
arsonalOct 27, 2012 7:24 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Oct 27, 2012 7:17 AM
Oct 2012
wth?

new series ? movie?
Oct 29, 2012 2:38 PM

Sep 2009
I liked the movie even more than both seasons. Animation and story is way better and Yoshika looks like a boss this time. The only disappointing thing is that I didn't see new russian and finnish girls in action.
Nov 1, 2012 8:16 PM

Sep 2012
The movie is a brilliant precursor for Season 3. I saw it in a cinema in Fukuoka and it was great to see it on big screen.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 1, 2012 9:05 PM

Mar 2012
For me, the movie's strongest points were the visuals.
BOOM HEADSHOT
Nov 3, 2012 2:43 PM

Sep 2012
That was great. Better than the two first seasons. Yoshika is finally a boss.
Nov 8, 2012 1:31 PM

Nov 2011
Subs are out, for those who want to know. But 50-100 kb/s DL speed is suffering ;_;
rederoinNov 8, 2012 1:48 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 8, 2012 3:10 PM

Jan 2011
I loved it. Can't wait until they continue it.
How many amazing anime are out there to be found?
Nov 8, 2012 5:01 PM

Nov 2011
10/10 I fricking loved it. Added to my favourites.

Strike witches wouldn't be strike witches without the yuri undertones.

Nov 8, 2012 5:12 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
Subs are out, for those who want to know. But 50-100 kb/s DL speed is suffering ;_;

It breezed along at 5.0 MB/s on my end. A subbed version of the movie is most welcome: I'll have something to watch besides Skyfall this weekend, and I'm supposed to be hacking away at a pair of term papers, presentation and thesis >.<
BOOM HEADSHOT
Nov 8, 2012 5:15 PM

Nov 2011
InfiniteZenith said:
rederoin said:

It breezed along at 5.0 MB/s on my end. A subbed version of the movie is most welcome: I'll have something to watch besides Skyfall this weekend, and I'm supposed to be hacking away at a pair of term papers, presentation and thesis >.<

I had the luck of torrenting it when it was just released(which is both a blessing and a curse).

Nov 8, 2012 8:02 PM

Apr 2010
Well that turned out a lot better than I expected.

Nov 8, 2012 8:50 PM

Nov 2009
hitdemon said:
Just saw it an hour ago i guess its pretty good hoping that it continue on but i dont wanna keep my hopes up T_T

Well you should keep your hopes up, it's done expectedly well sales-wise
I honestly want it to continue myself, i loved the movie as well XD
Nov 8, 2012 9:05 PM

Jun 2007
Was a bit cheesy, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Nov 8, 2012 9:18 PM

Mar 2012
There is rumour of a third season, but I'm not certain as to whether or not that is fact.
BOOM HEADSHOT
Nov 8, 2012 10:29 PM

Apr 2010
I think it might end up with a third season. With the enemy pushing out of Karlsland in an attempt to reoccupy the surrounding area, the Witches might counter the offensive, and make a push back in to retake Karlsland. And since Miyafuji has her magic back in force I think we're likely to see more than just a movie or OVA.

Obviously, anyone who plans to see the third season-to-be HAS to see this movie or they're going to be VERY confused.

Nov 9, 2012 3:42 AM

Mar 2012
Was just checking out if the subs were out. Then, wham! Couldn't resist not taking a look at it. End up watching it even though it was 4 in the morning.

Is it just me or were they focusing on panties a lot in this compared to the tv series? Well duh, this is a movie. Oh well, I don't mind the ecchiness for that's where the sales are coming from.

Not that I don't like Shizuka, but I don't know if her joining the 501st would be a great idea.

In any case, more! Yoshika's harem is growing.
Nov 9, 2012 3:54 AM

Aug 2010
danmess said:
Is it just me or were they focusing on panties a lot in this compared to the tv series? Well duh, this is a movie. Oh well, I don't mind the ecchiness for that's where the sales are coming from.

No, the TV series focused on the girls' crotch just as much (if not more)

Actually, compared to certain episodes of the TV series, the movie was kinda tame XD

But alltogether, I liked it. And ofc I squealed at the oppaillow scene with yoshika and lynette. *puts on his yuri-goggles again*
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 9, 2012 4:14 AM

Dec 2010
SW is a good franchise but i can't get at all why war is take so easy, also these witches (not only the 501st) are all immortals with an invincible shield? The enemy is just so weak that i'm wondering why is not yet completely annihilated.
Well it would be so different if someone like Gen Urobuchi make the plot next time. :D

10/10 for the huge work in character design and animations, plot is scarce, 6/10 so my vote is 8/10 (4/5) overall.
Fn76Nov 9, 2012 4:19 AM
Nov 9, 2012 4:22 AM

Sep 2012
Fnights said:
SW is a good franchise but i can't get at all why war is take so easy, also these witches (not only the 501st) are all immortals with an invincible shield? The enemy is just so weak that i'm wondering why is not yet completely annihilated.
Because the war is just a pretext for the girls to go on action and do some sweating ;-)

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 9, 2012 6:34 AM

Apr 2010
Hattori was nice character a bit to strict for her own good tho but guess that's just her personality and upbringing being from a military family.
So seemed a bit disappointed at Miyafuji's personality but towards to end started to respect her ones again ones she saw her fighting, she probably thought Miyafuji was a very strict soldier as well due to her reputation which wasn't the case.
Still it was good to see that she understood the reason why Miyafuji was so respected and in the end was full of respect as well.

Aout the war i didn't expect them to follow the course of the war since Japan is virtually untouched by the Neuroi however the situation in Europe seems to be simulated with only Karlsland still being enemy territory.
And what we saw towards the end was basically the Battle of the Bulge with some imagination.

The reformation of the 501st regiment is nice and it even has two new additions with Hattori and Heidemarie i wonder what to expect from them.
We also saw allot of faces from the manga's and novel's most of them where new to me tho.
The ending also seemed to suggest a follow up and if that's the case i can't wait.
Nov 9, 2012 10:33 AM

Oct 2011
The movie was OK I liked it :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 10:34 AM

Apr 2008
Love it, so many panty shots :D

Nov 9, 2012 11:46 AM

Aug 2010
I'm going to get torn to shreds, and it's okay, I'm really glad if others don't feel the same way as I do, I'm not looking to start a debate.

I wish I could say that I throughly enjoyed the movie just as I did the seasons, but overall...this was a disappointment. If the main purpose of this installment was to set up a third season then it's okay, but as a standalone Strike Witches movie it failed to entertain me. The direction was all over the place, it was unfocused and didn't really know what it wanted to do. Too much time was wasted on Hattori who wasn't necessarily a bad character, but wasn't someone I was interested in. Sanya and Eila had like one short scene that focused only on them and not them being in a larger group (that nets them what, a total of 10 whopping minutes?). Last I checked Sanya was pretty loved even in Japan, why so little screen time?

The anime has always been about the 501st and that's where the character interaction works best, the last five minutes was awesome, but it took more than an hour to get there and the road wasn't interesting enough to keep me entertained until the payoff. Don't get me wrong, I was interested in learning more about witches outside the 501st, but I don't think the execution of it was good. People don't really watch SW for the story because at best it's clichéd and has more holes than a warzone and the problems with the narrative really showed here.

Luckily, there were a few things that I really enjoyed. First of all, Miyafuji went total badass at times and that worked wonders. The first time when it was directed at Hattori and then at the end when she was driving the jeep, those were great scenes. Erica and Trude, oh God, out of the three scenes that had me laugh uncontrollably, two were with them (the smearing, and then when Hartmann used Barkhorn's love for Miyafuji to get her ready for take-off in a split second.) YoshikaxLynne and pantsuservice was also nice.

I was expecting Yoshika to get back her magic powers and if one can put it behind them that it wasn't explained yet again, I think it was pretty enjoyable. I mean that's what I wished for when I sat down to watch this. 501st Strike Witches kicking ass. And pantsu. And the girls blushing and holding hands.

I hope that whatever is coming next will have more focus on the original gang. The episodic format worked better in my opinion. 6/10

Ps: I know SW isn't that kind of a show, but killing off Miyafuji (or at least Hattori receiving a severe wound) would have been one of the most impactful scenes I've seen since the climax packed a lot of emotion. Just throwing it out there.
Mogami-kunNov 9, 2012 11:52 AM
Nov 9, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2012
Mogami-kun said:
I hope that whatever is coming next will have more focus on the original gang. The episodic format worked better in my opinion. 6/10
The whole idea of the movie seems to be how Miyafuji fared with her power lost and 501st girls separated everywhere.. So a certain "lack of focus" is kind of expected. Strike Witches always tries to strike some balance between awesome action and quiet moments of character interactions. I think it is easier to enjoy SW if one appreciate both in equal measure. The movie has that balance too but because of the story the distribution of action versus non-action is skewed (a lot more action near the end) and the non-action has to involve fewer members (unlike the time when the whole gang is around). I think the movie tries its best to sprinkle actions around and keep the character interaction interesting -- it is just that it may not be as intensive as the whole 501st is together.

Mogami-kun said:
Ps: I know SW isn't that kind of a show, but killing off Miyafuji (or at least Hattori receiving a severe wound) would have been one of the most impactful scenes I've seen since the climax packed a lot of emotion. Just throwing it out there.
Now this WILL get you torn to shreads! Killing off a Strike Witch girl ?!?!? Prepare yourself to be fed to Neuroids!!!

Nov 9, 2012 12:27 PM

Mar 2011
Ah I have waited for this.

I felt a bit disappointed at the end of the 2nd series that she lost her powers, and when I heard about this movie was really hoping she would get them back. I was also hoping that Sakamoto would get around the whole age 20 and lose powers thing but I wasn't really expecting that.

The movie was good, maybe it could have been a tad longer as it did take a while to build up but the ending was very satisfying and the 'to be continued' makes me wonder what they have planned.#

I did think the movie had quite a lot of pantie shots, but they were fine, and compared to what was in the main series, especially series 2, with one particular episode... But that is the main appeal of the series so it can't be helped, even if although I don't mind it, it actually surprisingly isn't what appeals me to the series.

So overall I enjoyed it, If though it was predictable.

I may have a read of the manga, how far does the manga expand from the anime to those who have read it?
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Nov 9, 2012 1:59 PM
Aug 2009
I hate to put this out there, but did Mio's laugh sound a tad bit off? I mean that is the trademark laugh so I think they should've put more attention to that.
Nov 9, 2012 3:11 PM

Apr 2008
So much pantsu XD

But the plot wasn't that good, seen it, in the seasons.
The final boss was basically the same as the one from (think it was) season 1, when the Neuroi took over that big ship.
But nice that Yoshika got her magic back.
Would have been awesome to watch this in the cinema, with all the explosion, gunfire and the other noices.

Onward to season 3 :D

Nov 9, 2012 4:18 PM
Sep 2010
On the one hand, I did enjoy this film. On the other, the writing was terrible, there were plot holes everywhere, military protocol being ignored by everyone, not just Yoshika and how in hades did she get her powers back at the end? This film was a total mess. And yet... as I said, I enjoyed it. I've just been looking forward to this film so much that even as flawed as it is, I'm glad to have seen it.
Nov 9, 2012 7:56 PM

Nov 2011
Ah yes it has been awhile since 2nd season ended.
It felt awesome that

and its nice that we get a "to be continued".
Will be looking forword to it.
YEAH!!!!
Nov 9, 2012 11:49 PM

May 2012
I got this movie just for lulz and wasted 90 mins watching this crap.

My main gripes about the movie:
-Girls don't wear pants and their panties are fully exposed (WTF!!). Not to mention panty shots are emphasized a lot when the girls are flying.
-I read "mild nudity" in the MAL description for this movie. I didn't see any (I guess exposing panties and bear legs is mild nudity? Anyway the description was totally misleading).
-Girls can use magic to fly and produce shields, but they can't produce any magical attacks. They use stupid rinky guns to attack.
-No real explanation for why the Neuroi enemy is there, they're just there for the sake of being there.
-Deux ex Machina ending. Oh come on, you expect me to believe that fairy tale ending that the main girl gets back her powers because her friends called out to her and she felt a warmness in her heart ......
lightXTCNov 9, 2012 11:53 PM
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Nov 10, 2012 12:29 AM

Sep 2012
lightXTC said:
-Girls don't wear pants and their panties are fully exposed (WTF!!). Not to mention panty shots are emphasized a lot when the girls are flying.
They are not panties.
lightXTC said:
-Girls can use magic to fly and produce shields, but they can't produce any magical attacks. They use stupid rinky guns to attack.
Because the WWII air pilot on which the girls are based fire guns in their planes.
They are not panties.
lightXTC said:
-No real explanation for why the Neuroi enemy is there, they're just there for the sake of being there.
We never care.
lightXTC said:

-Deux ex Machina ending. Oh come on, you expect me to believe that fairy tale ending that the main girl gets back her powers because her friends called out to her and she felt a warmness in her heart ......
The thing is Duex ex Machina ending was expected LOL.
symbvNov 10, 2012 1:25 AM

Nov 10, 2012 12:57 AM

Jun 2011
I already expected the Duex Ex Machina thingy.

But still Yoshika finally got her powers back.
"Kindness can bring you even bigger troubles." - Akemi Homura[/right]
Nov 10, 2012 5:19 AM

Jul 2009
lightXTC said:

Then what are Perrine's Tonnerre and Hartmann's Sturm?

symbv said:
lightXTC said:

They are not panties.

Some do only wear panties actually.
Nov 10, 2012 5:21 AM

Sep 2012
arsonal said:
symbv said:

They are not panties.

When?

Nov 10, 2012 5:27 AM

Jul 2009
symbv said:
arsonal said:

When?

Lucchini, Charlotte, and Gertrud are examples. They don't wear overalls like Sanya, Eila, or Perrine. They also don't wear a one-piece like Yoshika or Mio.
Nov 10, 2012 5:36 AM

Sep 2012
arsonal said:
symbv said:
arsonal said:

When?

Lucchini, Charlotte, and Gertrud are examples. They don't wear overalls like Sanya, Eila, or Perrine. They also don't wear a one-piece like Yoshika or Mio.
But still whatever they wear on their hips those are not panties, and that is from official source.

Nov 10, 2012 10:06 AM
Feb 2009
heck, this is so cliche....

anyway, the girls are cute so it's ok i guess o_o
oblivious is a bliss
Nov 10, 2012 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
lightXTC said:

>watching a movie without watching the prequels.
Typical_mal_user.jpg

Thats the same thing as watching the K-on! movie without watching the series. Who would actually do that?
rederoinNov 10, 2012 10:40 AM

Nov 10, 2012 11:50 AM

Jun 2008
Wow, I enjoyed this more than I expected to. Though I can't really give it more than 7/10 because, well, it's still Strike Witches: horribly basic plot, not big on character development (Shizuka is like the best-developed character in the franchise and she only just appeared...), and deus ex machina ending. But Lynne and Yoshika in bed were cute as ever and Mio's entrance was simply awesome. Animation was really good, too.
Nov 10, 2012 1:32 PM

Oct 2011
lightXTC said:

Friendship is magic!
Nov 10, 2012 1:56 PM

Nov 2011
crevette said:
lightXTC said:

Friendship is magic!

I think its closer to lesbianlust. Feels more appropriate/fitting in the SW universe.

Nov 10, 2012 4:05 PM

Aug 2012
flame_tiong said:
heck, this is so cliche....

doesn't matter, was still awesome ^_^
Nov 10, 2012 5:49 PM

May 2012
symbv said:
lightXTC said:
They are not panties.
lightXTC said:
Because the WWII air pilot on which the girls are based fire guns in their planes.
They are not panties.
lightXTC said:
We never care.
lightXTC said:

The thing is Duex ex Machina ending was expected LOL.

1. They look too much like panties to not be panties.
2. World War II planes don't have magical shields. Since the girls can produce these, I don't see why they can't produce magical attacks either.
3. I care about why the enemy is there. The terrible plot does at least need some kind of depth to it.
4. Sure the deux ex machina ending was expected, but I'd prefer something a little more believable.

rederoin said:
lightXTC said:

Typical_mal_user.jpg

Thats the same thing as watching the K-on! movie without watching the series. Who would actually do that?

I'm not going to bother watching 24-36+ episodes just to watch a movie, let alone a terrible one at that. Besides, I understood what was happening and going on in the movie clearly enough to know that it was crap.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Nov 10, 2012 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
rederoin said:
lightXTC said:

Typical_mal_user.jpg

I don't think this is actually typical of MAL users (and if it is, why did you ask who would do that?). Although it is pretty pointless. It's like starting an anime series at the halfway point, or watching the 5th Harry Potter movie first, etc.
Nov 10, 2012 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
rederoin said:
lightXTC said:

Typical_mal_user.jpg

I don't think this is actually typical of MAL users (and if it is, why did you ask who would do that?). Although it is pretty pointless. It's like starting an anime series at the halfway point, or watching the 5th Harry Potter movie first, etc.

Eh, I wasen't that serious with it. Its just I see it happen a lot on the forums(people watching series without watching the prequels)

lightXTC said:

Its an ecchi anime, what do you expect?

2. World War II planes don't have magical shields. Since the girls can produce these, I don't see why they can't produce magical attacks either.

Did you even watch the movie? Did you miss the scene where erica 'punched' that allien? or where erica and perrina used an combined magical attack?

3. I care about why the enemy is there. The terrible plot does at least need some kind of depth to it.

>watching strike witches for the plot

rederoin said:

I'm not going to bother watching 24-36+ episodes just to watch a movie, let alone a terrible one at that. Besides, I understood what was happening and going on in the movie clearly enough to know that it was crap.

Thats not really an excuse, you would have been better of not watching the movie at all.
Any other person who dislikes these kind of anime and still wants to try it out for whatever reason would just have watched the first few eps of the S1, realized it didn't suit his tastes and dropped it.
But then again, I see you also watched the k-on! movie without watching the prequels.. There is no point in explaining this.
rederoinNov 10, 2012 7:03 PM

Nov 10, 2012 7:23 PM

Sep 2012
lightXTC said:

4. Sure the deux ex machina ending was expected, but I'd prefer something a little more believable.

1. Well, a panty-looking outfit that is not a panty is different from panties. Your subjective perception is one thing, but stop calling it panties just because you insist they are panties.
2. And now you want to do the setting work for the world as well, why must they produce magical attacks when they can produce magical shields? At least for the gun attacks part there is explanation from character design point of view.
3. Again what you care does not mean what most of the fans care.
4. Fair enough. I am not saying the ending is very believable, but it does not bother me much either.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» "To Be Continued" At the end of the film?

Shishimai - Mar 24, 2012

35 by LemonTea387 »»
Aug 16, 2016 8:31 AM

» Fansub Group?

nenebest - Oct 29, 2012

11 by InfiniteZenith »»
Nov 8, 2012 5:10 PM

» Trailer

arsonal - Feb 8, 2012

11 by AirStyles »»
Aug 22, 2012 3:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.