Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2012 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
lol~~~ ballerina!! (I actually loled literally!! Usually it was lol inside)

Kishio-san? (or Terashii?)'s character is the main one this time? He wrote a short poetry to test Minorin's character on first three phrases. They feels that they know each other since Koyasu-san?'s character told them about each other. It seems like Sakurai-san (he doesn't have his hair covering one side of eye now)'s character is his classmate? There are two guys who died in the story, one of them are the lady with the red hair girl.

Sakurai-san's character is depressed, and one of the reasons being Minorin's character leaving. They have their own works. Through the talk, they learn to keep the happy memory and go on. KajiKaji didn't include the sad poetry into Hyakuninisshu, though.

About friendship between Minorin's character and golden hair girl next?
tsubasaloverSep 3, 2012 6:37 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2012 1:35 PM

Jul 2007
I think Yukinari is voiced by Terashima Takuma
Sep 3, 2012 1:49 PM

Jan 2011
As always, I had a sudden attack of allergies at the end of this episode and had to wipe my eyes profusely. Why is it that great poetry tends to come from the bitter rather than the sweet?
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 3, 2012 2:53 PM

Jan 2011
tsubasalover you confuse me with your minorins.
tsubasalover said:

Mmmm don't think so, as the golden hair girl aka Princess Teishi is kinda out of the picture.
I'm hooked but they ought to change the title of the anime if the rest of the episodes will feature Shonagon.
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Sep 3, 2012 6:10 PM

Jun 2010
I had tears in my eyes. Are the next couple episodes from now on going to feature Shonagon, or is the next the last? I like her character, Yukinari, Teishi, and the rest that have appeared around her. (I still can't grasp every character's name, but I know a little more than half. The names are kind of similar.)
Sep 3, 2012 6:28 PM
Jan 2008
Sad episode: Yukinari is sad and in love with Sei...but due to Blonde chick's death, she decides to go and work on her book so she can feature Blonde Empress in a better light.

And next week....looks like we get to see Murasaki and someone!

I wonder when we'll get to Teika's story? Probaly the last?
Sep 3, 2012 6:37 PM

Nov 2007
fataverde said:
tsubasalover you confuse me with your minorins.
tsubasalover said:

Mmmm don't think so, as the golden hair girl aka Princess Teishi is kinda out of the picture.
I'm hooked but they ought to change the title of the anime if the rest of the episodes will feature Shonagon.

That's because I'm not sure, I put "?". And I use seiyuu's name and how the characters look like to remember any character because I'm not good at character names.
tsubasaloverSep 3, 2012 6:40 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 4, 2012 2:51 AM
Jul 2012
Alliteration (or head-rhyme) makes Kinto's poem interesting and memorable;
Taki no oto wa
Taete hisashiku
Narinuredo,
Na koso nagarete
Nao kikoekere.
Sep 4, 2012 7:19 AM

Jul 2012
I literally went "wtf" at the beginning XD

Beautiful episode like usual. I'm sad there's only three more episodes left. :(

It's sad how both Sei Shonagon's lovers didn't end up with her. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

I almost cried at the part where Teishi died and Sei was looking at her shocked.
Sep 4, 2012 1:19 PM

May 2012
HoshiNeko said:
Are the next couple episodes from now on going to feature Shonagon, or is the next the last?
Who knows, in the opening there are three couples left (after the picture with Shonagon and Yukinari kissing), but maybe two stories will be introduced in one episode...
Sep 4, 2012 6:46 PM
Jan 2008
The next episode had Murasaki and someone.

And then in episode six, it was hinted that Teika had a princess.
Sep 6, 2012 7:26 AM

Jan 2011
GChan said:
The next episode had Murasaki and someone.

Yep, lady Murasaki Shikibu will be featured next.
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Sep 6, 2012 3:20 PM

Feb 2012
Beautiful episode.
Sep 16, 2012 9:25 AM

Aug 2011
The reason why Teika didnt include the last poem of Teishi was so touching...

Awesome show.
Sep 22, 2012 2:23 PM
Sep 2011
A life without trust may just not be worth living, indeed, but fortunately Shonagon found a loyal friend in Yukinari.

The parting scene was extremely touching. Something about Yukinari giving his usual snarky remarks yet it being quite obvious how sorrowful he is made the scene very emotional yet undramatic due to its calmness.
Sep 22, 2012 3:18 PM

Oct 2011
THAT WAS SO SAD!
Feb 1, 2013 8:37 PM
Jul 2011
As usual, laughed at Teika before the opening.
Music was awesome in this episode, and the full story was beautiful and touching.
Scene with snow, cherry blossom, poem and dialog just after it was so nice! ~_~
Jul 6, 2014 12:50 AM

Aug 2013
Damn it another "love that could not be" T____T
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 15, 2014 1:17 AM

Apr 2014
BEING YUKINARI IS SUFFERING

no but really so good this episode SOB

so good there were TEARS sob

sei shonagon was such a loyal friend, wow

good job, show
Dec 18, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2012
So Teika didnt include Teishi in his 100 poems cause he was honoring Shonagon's wishes. Or at least thats the speculation. :)

Damn Im so glad im watching this while im in a relationship. If I watched this when I was single I wouldnt be able to handle all of the feels.
Jun 14, 2015 12:38 PM
Mar 2012
That was sad. but beautiful.

I quite like Yukinari.
Aug 25, 2015 9:13 AM

May 2012
This was quite a beautiful episode I must say! let's see what's next.
Apr 8, 2016 4:26 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I remember when I first got into VAs I stumbled upon this:

Partially the reason why I wanted to watch this :P That intro sure was special and memorable.

I like how I got sadder throughout the episode, first it was hearing about Sanetaka's death (so many died so young back then), and then it was Yukinari's guilt and the goodbye between him and Sei Shonagon. What they both chose at the end would be a classic example of giri-ninjo, the idea of choosing between duty and one's emotions. It was sad, but still beautiful. I really appreciate how the drama is handled in a very controlled way; the episodes quietly stir my heart.

Shonagon wanting The Pillow Book to contain only Teishi's smiles was really nice, as well as Teika wanting to honor Shonagon's intention.

"The best moments in my life were when you and I talked about nothing." That was the line that made me start crying. It reminds me of how these days I only talk to my friends about our worries about the future, what to do with our lives and applying for jobs. Back then, we talked about random yet fun things.

"Good memories are not meant to tie you to the past. They serve to push you forward. We must try our best to move on, so we don't feel sad when remembering the past and live full lives." If only I could be as positive as Shonagon. But this quote is a very good one to live by, and I've only realized that reminiscing all the time does made me sad. They're happy memories, yet I am sad when I remember them, and I don't think that's a good thing. That was eye-opening.
Oct 15, 2019 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
A very meaningful and beautiful episode.
Oct 12, 2020 1:35 PM
Aug 2019
That opening lol at the ballerina.
A bit focused on Kinto, Sanekata passed away after leaving.
Yukinari convinced the Emperor to take another wife damaging Teishi's position.
Teishi passed away having a son. Sei Shonagon wanted to only serve Sei and continuing writing her pillow book to describe her the lady she served in a positive bright light.
Both Yukinari and Sei valued their work over their relationship.
"Good memories are not meant to tie you to the past. They serve to push you forward" I really liked this quote by Yukinari, but I mean there are still so many quotes in this shows that are great.
This episode was another great one both sad and beautiful.

Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM

Jan 2021
Lol ballerina xD

It was a heavy and bitter episode. Between love and duty... whatever is chosen has its own risks, but at that time, realistically, they had to choose duty even if they didn't want to. Shonagon's words about good memories were wonderful, wise and motivating. It really touched my heart. I love her ♡

But among everything, I felt really bad for Teishi.. :"(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

50 by puella_magi »»
Jul 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 24, 2012

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 3:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.