Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2012
Steins gate now has an english dub. What are your thought/opinions? I know i won't be rewatching it in dubbed anytime soon thats for sure:P Overall the dubs not the worst i have heard but it is certainly not the best.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 2, 2012 1:52 PM

Oct 2011
Just for some curious people,Funimation posted the 1st 4 episodes dubbed on their youtube channel.I'll go get them.

Episode 1:

episode 2-4:

My opinion on the dub (I've seen the 1st 2 episodes dubbed):
It's alright.Could be better,but what I got is just fine.It's just in the shadow of the original,but I'm not gonna hate it because of that.
JeddyVIISep 2, 2012 2:01 PM
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Sep 3, 2012 6:57 AM

May 2009
Clips

Sep 3, 2012 10:56 AM

Dec 2009
Accuse me of being a dub-hater, I don't fucking care but the truth is:

failed mad scientist laugh = failed dub.
j4xSep 6, 2012 11:55 AM
Sep 5, 2012 11:50 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Oh my. Can't stand this dubbed. I hate Mayuri's english voice. Her japanese voice actress was perfection.
Sep 6, 2012 7:18 AM

Feb 2012
The dubs were pretty terrible >.> I dont normally say that but, when I heard it I really was disappointed the voice actor for okabe just isnt okabe enough and, they sound flat ...

I just lost a life
Sep 7, 2012 8:04 PM

Sep 2007
Did they at least keep the laugh from the Japanese actor? If they do this I'd approve. The dub sounded ok, just different as usual.

Sep 7, 2012 8:55 PM

Feb 2012
I've seen the first episode dubbed, therefore I am 100% qualified to dissect every aspect of it and compare it flawlessly to the original. More seriously though, I think the dub sounds fine, different (as to be expected), but fine. It's not as good as the original imo, but I realize that I am biased as I usually like whatever I hear first and the characters were my favourite part of Steins;Gate and I feel very attached to them.

I'm actually surprised myself, but I think that Tatum did a good job as Okabe. His rendition sounds more intelligent (imo), but it does lack much of the lovable, over the top craziness that Miyano portrayed. I didn't hear too many background characters, but in general they sounded good. If there is one voice that really annoys me it would be Miyuri's. She does a good tuturu, but other than that she sounds like a dumb, snobby high school girl, and not quirky or lovable at all. I didn't hear Makise or Daru that much, but they sounded okay. One thing that bothers me is that all of the main characters seem to have an edge of annoyance in their voice, like they can't stand being around each other. Also, if I'm really going to nitpick, I thought that everybody's voice sounded a bit too quiet, but maybe that's just because Okabe wasn't over the top enough.

Overall, I thought it was fairly good, with the exception of Mayuri. Right now I have no plan to re-watch it dubbed but who knows, maybe in the future. However, mainly for Mayuri's sake I think I would just watch it subbed again.

Thus ends my overly long rant abut the Steins;Gate dub. El Psy Congroo.
Sep 7, 2012 8:57 PM
Mar 2012
Its not bad, I think the guy doing Okarin is pretty good. But yeah, its not the best i've ever seen either.
Sep 8, 2012 8:07 PM

Apr 2011
ugh, I don't like watching Eng Dub animes :| -- no one can replace Hanazawa Kana-san's angelic voice....I prefer Subs more than Dubs..
Sep 8, 2012 8:24 PM

May 2012
not as bad as i had thought it would be. don't like Mayuri's voice though.
Sep 8, 2012 11:48 PM

Apr 2007
Imo I think they did a pretty good job for dubbing a great anime as steins gate.

Ofcourse we will find the dub bad since the Japanese voice actors nailed it, but still I find the english dub entertaining and this is coming from a guy who hates english dub :P
Sep 9, 2012 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
shut up.who cares.
if you liked the sub more. Ignore the existance of the Dub and only like the Sub
Sep 9, 2012 10:37 AM

Jun 2011
I personally like the dub, but the sub obviously outclasses it in every way. That doesn't mean it's bad, though.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Sep 9, 2012 1:37 PM

Apr 2007
PervMASTER said:
shut up.who cares.
if you liked the sub more. Ignore the existance of the Dub and only like the Sub

go back to your hentai world.
Sep 9, 2012 2:58 PM

Sep 2011
Reaper71 said:
I personally like the dub, but the sub obviously outclasses it in every way. That doesn't mean it's bad, though.
Sep 14, 2012 1:18 PM
Aug 2012
Although I still enjoy the sub more the dub actually isn't that bad. The word choices that the english Okarin has is much more enjoyable then those of the sub. This could be due to translation but I found the english Okarin to be more enjoyable to listen to.

Everyone else takes some getting used to.
Sep 14, 2012 1:35 PM

Sep 2010
lol@all the people saying "it's not that bad" as the only positive thing about the dub. "Not being that bad" really inspires confidence in a product.

Sep 14, 2012 3:04 PM
Jul 2012
Hmm alright here goes...

Okabe.
Sub- Okabe sounds like he fail at life.
Dub- Okabe sounds like he won at life.

Hououin Kyouma sonuvabitch

Kurisu.
Sub- Kurisu sounds like she's japanese lollmaorofl
Dub- Kurisu sounds like she's american lollmaorofl

Tsundere. What's tsundere? Can I eat it?

Mayuri.
Sub- Mayuri is annoying.
Dub- Mayuri is annoyin'

Tutturuu~ What's tutturuu?

You know what I'm sayin'
You know what I'm sayin'

--Come At Me Bro--
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Sep 14, 2012 5:40 PM
Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:
lol@all the people saying "it's not that bad" as the only positive thing about the dub. "Not being that bad" really inspires confidence in a product.

Casual Anime fan: "The dub is actually quite good"
A Hardcore fan/Sub elitists reply: "The dub is absolute garbage. It loses all the natural flavor that is present within the voices of the original characters!".
Sep 14, 2012 9:46 PM

Sep 2010
failedtoopen said:
Anime_Name said:

Casual Anime fan: "The dub is actually quite good"
A Hardcore fan/Sub elitists reply: "The dub is absolute garbage. It loses all the natural flavor that is present within the voices of the original characters!".

And how would you label the people in this topic that said neither?

Generalizations failing to represent the truth since 1959.

Sep 14, 2012 9:50 PM
Jul 2012
This dub isn't that bad, but it's not good either.
Sep 15, 2012 12:20 PM
Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:

And how would you label the people in this topic that said neither?

I wouldn't label them as anything because I know nothing about them. Generalizations are only bad if you use to define, or characterize a specific person.

Anyways the reason I said it isn't bad, nor is it amazing is because there are 4 episode of the dub, while there are 25 episode of the sub. That isn't enough material to accurately judge them both equally. There are things that I liked right off the bat about the dub, and things that I warmed up to with the dub.

Give the dub 21 more episodes for me and maybe I'd think it was better then the sub.
Sep 15, 2012 12:28 PM

Sep 2010
failedtoopen said:

I wouldn't label them as anything because I know nothing about them. Generalizations are only bad if you use to define, or characterize a specific person.

yeah, that's what generalizations do.

Anyways the reason I said it isn't bad, nor is it amazing is because there are 4 episode of the dub, while there are 25 episode of the sub. That isn't enough material to accurately judge them both equally. There are things that I liked right off the bat about the dub, and things that I warmed up to with the dub.

Give the dub 21 more episodes for me and maybe I'd think it was better then the sub.

Why should the dub need more episodes? I original made it's impression and quality known at episode 1.

The "warming up" crap is just as apathetic as "it's not that bad". No amount of getting used to or not being bad is going to endear me to a product when an outright good version exists that doesn't take any getting used to.

Sep 15, 2012 1:22 PM
Sep 2011
FailAtLife said:

Okabe.

That's one of the things I really like about the dub. He sounds less over-the-top, which I know is his characterization, but I like this better.

Mayuri's annoying either way, but at least her dub voice isn't so cringe-worthy. Same goes for Daru. His dub voice makes him sound like a person and not a fat, slobby Digimon or something.

So basically I'm okay with this dub.
Sep 15, 2012 8:03 PM
Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:

yeah, that's what generalizations do.

Okay? This feels like a non story to me.

Anime_Name said:

Why should the dub need more episodes? I original made it's impression and quality known at episode 1.

The "warming up" crap is just as apathetic as "it's not that bad". No amount of getting used to or not being bad is going to endear me to a product when an outright good version exists that doesn't take any getting used to.

Because it isn't natural to be drawn to a version, or experience you had first? Something that could include bias?

Anyways the Okarin in the dub is portrayed much better (in my eyes) then that of the sub. The Dub version also doesn't have Okarin snorting/choking on air at random points. His eccentricity also comes across in a more interesting manner then that of the sub version.

Although there is a certain bluntness to the dub version that doesn't exist as heavily in the sub.
Sep 15, 2012 10:29 PM

Sep 2010
Because it isn't natural to be drawn to a version, or experience you had first? Something that could include bias?

That's just an excuse people try to use to explain why people like the original version and not any of the reversions. That excuse however is in direct contradiction to people that have seen the sub first and end up like the dub more, which oddly enough are the people that try to use that excuse against any opposition to a dub.

Anyways the Okarin in the dub is portrayed much better (in my eyes) then that of the sub. The Dub version also doesn't have Okarin snorting/choking on air at random points. His eccentricity also comes across in a more interesting manner then that of the sub version.

Wait...so by doing less eccentric things he comes across as more eccentric in the dub? This is why I try not to talk directly to dub-lovers, you guys are full of contradictions and more apologetic than a man on death row.

Sep 16, 2012 8:30 AM
Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:

That's just an excuse people try to use to explain why people like the original version and not any of the reversions. That excuse however is in direct contradiction to people that have seen the sub first and end up like the dub more, which oddly enough are the people that try to use that excuse against any opposition to a dub.

Wait...so by doing less eccentric things he comes across as more eccentric in the dub? This is why I try not to talk directly to dub-lovers, you guys are full of contradictions and more apologetic than a man on death row.

LOL You're quite cute my friend. I'd respond to this in detail but I see it would be useless.

I will say this. I am not a dub lover, I don't only watch dubs, I actually watch both if I go and re watch the show. I try to keep any bias I have to a minimum as well.

Also remember what we talked about when it comes to generalizing :P
Sep 16, 2012 1:10 PM

Sep 2010
failedtoopen said:

LOL You're quite cute my friend. I'd respond to this in detail but I see it would be useless.

I will say this. I am not a dub lover, I don't only watch dubs, I actually watch both if I go and re watch the show. I try to keep any bias I have to a minimum as well.

Also remember what we talked about when it comes to generalizing :P

Can't help it. When you whip out some of the most stale and generic "compliments" about dubs as if you don't want to say anything too bad about them you don't leave much room to the imagination about yourself. And we talked about how generalizing can be true if applied to an individual but not a group...you did group labeling early while I'm only talking about you now.

Sep 16, 2012 8:11 PM
Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:

Can't help it. When you whip out some of the most stale and generic "compliments" about dubs as if you don't want to say anything too bad about them you don't leave much room to the imagination about yourself. And we talked about how generalizing can be true if applied to an individual but not a group...you did group labeling early while I'm only talking about you now.

When I say "It isn't good but it isn't bad" that's because there are things I like, and things I dislike about it. It's the same way with the sub, it isn't amazing, nor is it bad. You could hand me either the dub or the sub and I'd enjoy it just as much. Yes the way the characters are interpreted may be different but they're the same characters at the core.

As for generalizing what I said is it's bad if you apply a generalization to one person. Generalizing is needed to sum up a large group of people, but applying it to one person is generally where people get upset :P
Sep 16, 2012 9:38 PM

Sep 2010
When I say "It isn't good but it isn't bad" that's because there are things I like, and things I dislike about it. It's the same way with the sub, it isn't amazing, nor is it bad. You could hand me either the dub or the sub and I'd enjoy it just as much. Yes the way the characters are interpreted may be different but they're the same characters at the core.

Then the question is whose interpretation is better. Most man-made things are not the same but different. My guess is that the core would be interpreted better by the ones who created said core and that usually stands true for all media, not just Japanese anime. It's not good nor is it bad...November elections must be coming up everyone is trying to sound like a politician by play all sides of the field evenly and never taking a firm stance.

I also find it funny that the original acting never really had such a lukewarm and negative respone until there as a dub made and then "those" people started coming out of the wood work. Before the dub Mamoru Miyano's Okabe was perfectly acted, hilariously over the top, and fans kept on repeating sonovabitch and tuturu all of the place. NOW, a generic "not that bad"/"it takes time to warm up" dub becomes better for the wacky scientist and his compatriots to sound calm, cool, and overly hip. It looks like Funimation doesn't just reversion anime but it completely rewrites the fanbase as well.

As for generalizing what I said is it's bad if you apply a generalization to one person. Generalizing is needed to sum up a large group of people, but applying it to one person is generally where people get upset :p

You have it backwards.
Anime_NameSep 16, 2012 9:46 PM

Sep 20, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2012
FailAtLife said:
Hmm alright here goes...

Okabe.

Hououin Kyouma sonuvabitch

Kurisu.
Sub- Kurisu sounds like she's japanese lollmaorofl
Dub- Kurisu sounds like she's american lollmaorofl

Tsundere. What's tsundere? Can I eat it?

Mayuri.
Sub- Mayuri is annoying.
Dub- Mayuri is annoyin'

Tutturuu~ What's tutturuu?

You know what I'm sayin'
You know what I'm sayin'

--Come At Me Bro--

My thoughts exactly.
Sep 20, 2012 3:19 PM

Sep 2012
It's not that Okabe voice is bad it's just it's not as awesome as the Japanese voice and epic mad laugh (same voice actor as Kira)
Sep 21, 2012 12:48 AM

Nov 2011
I can't tell if I really like the dub or not at all.
Okabe's voice has this elegant intelligent sound to it. It's a voice I'd imagine a scientist/doctor would have so while I feel it fits great with his role at the same time I don't know because a lot of the time Okabe isn't always like that(Like with his comedic side.)
His laugh though is pretty evil so kudos for that. Although what I liked about Okabe's jap voice laugh was it was somewhat evil and yet had this comedic sound to it. His dub is like full on evil genius. lol

Mayuri actually sounds fine to me. Same goes for Kurisu's voice.

I think the only one I'm not to into is Itaru's dub voice.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 5, 2012 12:56 PM

Aug 2010
ewww dubs. it sickens me

Oct 30, 2012 4:59 AM

Jul 2010
I wanna know this line in episode 11.

[Japanese]
Okarin: Nurupo.
Kurisu: Ga.

[Funsub]
Okarin: All your base are...
Kurisu: Belong to us.

And what about English dub?
I wonder how Japanese internet meme translated?

Update;
I found answer by myself.
Sub implies Rickrolling I guess.

[Dub]
Okarin: Knight-hart has been busy lately.
Kurisu: Totally.

[Sub]
Okarin: Never gonna...
Kurisu: ...give you up
kusushiOct 30, 2012 5:44 AM
Oct 30, 2012 5:10 AM

Oct 2012
decent
Oct 30, 2012 8:06 PM
Jul 2012
"Hey mister... I am mad scientist. It's so cool! Sonuvabitch."
Oct 30, 2012 8:21 PM

Nov 2010
KingCyrus20 said:
"Hey mister... I am mad scientist. It's so cool! Sonuvabitch."
Has that really already been dubbed? I so want to hear how that went.
Nov 26, 2012 5:53 PM
Aug 2012
I personally think the dub cast did pretty well. (Japanese cast was perfect though)

I think J. Michael Tatum did okay, but not as good as Mamoru Miyano. Trina Nishimura does pretty well as Kurisu. Mayuri's annoying in both versions, so meh. All the other minor characters were adequate enough, with a little more preference for the dub in Suzuha's case, but that's just me. You're free to your opinion.

However, I do think that the guy who played Daru in the dub did better than the sub. To me, Daru's Japanese voice didn't sound like an actual human, but instead like a Japanese version of Comic Book Guy to the point of parody. The dub voice sounds a little more natural and does well. Considering this is the guy's first big role, I'm impressed. Either way, sub or dub, I'm buying the DVD to support the anime industry and I love this show way too much to simply pirate it.
Dec 4, 2012 3:00 AM

Apr 2011
Anime_Name said:

Statistics and dates being made up since ~Forever.
Dec 13, 2012 5:08 PM

May 2012
When are the last 12 dubbed episodes being released?

Dec 13, 2012 5:12 PM

Sep 2012
Onlin3Mast3r said:

According to Amazon, the bluray/DVD with the english dub will be released on December 18, 2012.
Dec 13, 2012 6:55 PM

May 2012
Raikozen said:
Onlin3Mast3r said:

According to Amazon, the bluray/DVD with the english dub will be released on December 18, 2012.

Awesome! I can't wait.

Dec 15, 2012 12:18 AM

Apr 2012
This dub is horrible, and its not even a shot at the actors. This humor just does not translate at all. The Japanese just has so much energy, but this dub just sounds so stale and awkward.
Dec 15, 2012 7:48 AM
Feb 2012
Onlin3Mast3r said:
Raikozen said:
Onlin3Mast3r said:

Awesome! I can't wait.

Date is actually changed and part 2 was shipped on the 11th. I got my second set yesterday.

DrunkenBlowfish said:
This dub is horrible, and its not even a shot at the actors. This humor just does not translate at all. The Japanese just has so much energy, but this dub just sounds so stale and awkward.

While I agree that the Japanese is probably better, the dub isn't terrible. The only real problem I have is on episode 15 where Okabe is trying to find who made the pin and this part was much more hilarious in Japanese than in English.
Dec 15, 2012 7:50 AM

Nov 2011
Watched one scene of the dub and the voices all felt too "regular." I thought the Japanese voice cast all made interesting voice choices that really elevated the characters.
Dec 15, 2012 9:42 AM

May 2012
DrunkenBlowfish said:
Dec 15, 2012 1:06 PM

Jun 2009

Relevant video for this thread.

MidnightPride said:
the voice actor for okabe just isnt okabe enough

When you say that do you mean that the English voice actor doesn't sound enough like the Japanese voice actor?
Dec 15, 2012 2:46 PM

May 2012
Tyestor said:

Relevant video for this thread.

How is it relevant?

Because many of us dislike Steins Gate dub (which is a very poor dub) you imply we are "dub haters" ? Nice generalization there, buddy.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.