Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 29, 2012 11:52 AM

Jun 2008
I'm Canadian, sup.
Aug 29, 2012 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
You guys know that the name of the country is The United States of America, right?
Aug 29, 2012 11:55 AM

Dec 2008
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
You guys know that the name of the country is The United States of America, right?

I'm obviously aware of that, but America is a continent(or 2, whatever). So it doesn't make much sense to call a country "America".
Aug 29, 2012 11:59 AM

Jun 2011
Cowabunga said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:

I'm obviously aware of that, but America is a continent(or 2, whatever). So it doesn't make much sense to call a country "America".
I can see why calling a country America doesn't make sense, but calling themselves Americans does make sense. You don't ask Canadians to call themselves the Dominion of Canadians or Brazilians the Federative Republic of Brazilians.
Aug 29, 2012 12:01 PM

Dec 2008
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Cowabunga said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:

I can see why calling a country America doesn't make sense, but calling themselves Americans does make sense. You don't ask Canadians to call themselves the Dominion of Canadians or Brazilians the Federal Republic of Brazilians.

But it seems only Americans do this. I mean. I doubt South Africans just simply call themselves "Africans".
Aug 29, 2012 12:16 PM

Jun 2011
Cowabunga said:

But it seems only Americans do this. I mean. I doubt South Africans just simply call themselves "Africans".
Yeah, because there's Central Africa Republic. At least according to the list there's no other sovereign state with America in its name, it's quite obvious who the word Americans would be referring to.
Aug 29, 2012 12:16 PM
Oct 2010
I think an appropriate way to address people from the States is Statesmen.

*fixes tie*
Aug 29, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2009
Cowabunga said:
As for the country being called "America", in some languages, it seems that people just simply call the country "America" and that's it. Exceptions are languages like Portuguese and Spanish which usually call the country "Estados Unidos". At least, most people I know refer to the country as "Estados Unidos".

Moreover, other languages seem to have another name for Americans besides terms derived from American (Américain, Americano, etc.)/ Though they are generally called one of the latter, words such as Estadounidense /Norteamericano exist in Spanish, French for example has États-unien and États-unienne.
Aug 29, 2012 12:22 PM

Feb 2009
The reason Latin Americans care is when an American says "I'm American. You're not". It's not the fact that we call ourselves "American" that bothers them, it's the fact that we've tried to completely take the term from all North and South Americans. It also seems like a cultural thing, because Canadians don't give a shit when Americans tell them they're not American; they're completely okay with our use of the term.

I mean there are a lot of generic terms we use that don't make sense. For example, "westerners" generally refer to Caucasians, i.e. United States, Canada, and Europe. Westerner is probably used more often than Caucasian even. South Americans don't seem too eager to join that club, even though they're technically more west than Europe. Why wouldn't that annoy them as well?
Aug 29, 2012 12:28 PM

Nov 2008
This is the perfect question for a reporter or reporters to ask congress just to hear their answers on national TV.

Aug 29, 2012 12:36 PM

Dec 2008
futaro said:
The reason Latin Americans care is when an American says "I'm American. You're not". It's not the fact that we call ourselves "American" that bothers them, it's the fact that we've tried to completely take the term from all North and South Americans. It also seems like a cultural thing, because Canadians don't give a shit when Americans tell them they're not American; they're completely okay with our use of the term.

I mean there are a lot of generic terms we use that don't make sense. For example, "westerners" generally refer to Caucasians, i.e. United States, Canada, and Europe. Westerner is probably used more often than Caucasian even. South Americans don't seem too eager to join that club, even though they're technically more west than Europe. Why wouldn't that annoy them as well?

"West" is not just a geographical term but also a cultural one.

As for some South Americans not liking that term, I guess the non-White ones are the ones that don't like being referred to as "Westerners". I'm pretty sure several countries of South America fit the "Western" label just fine, especially countries like Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay where Whites/Europeans are the majority.
Aug 29, 2012 12:55 PM

May 2009
futaro said:

I'm guessing the reason Latin Americans care and Canadians don't is that most Latin Americans are actually descendents of the aboriginal peoples of the Americas. Most Canadians aren't, and neither are most Americans, though they tend to be all patriotic and whatnot, more than Canadians anyway. I might be wrong, but I couldn't think of another reason why South Americans would care about the demonym "American" being monopolized by US citizens while Canadians wouldn't care.

futaro said:
For example, "westerners" generally refer to Caucasians, i.e. United States, Canada, and Europe. Westerner is probably used more often than Caucasian even. South Americans don't seem too eager to join that club, even though they're technically more west than Europe. Why wouldn't that annoy them as well?

Westerner and Caucasian aren't the same, not where I live anyway. A black American is still a Westerner to me, though not a Caucasian. Although the West (or the Occident) used to have a literal geographic meaning, distinguishing Europe from the "Orient" (i.e Middle East and other Asian lands), it doesn't have much geographical relevance today. I personally rely on economy as a criterion to define the West, rather than ethnicity or geography.
Aug 29, 2012 1:04 PM

Feb 2009
Cowabunga said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
Cowabunga said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:

I can see why calling a country America doesn't make sense, but calling themselves Americans does make sense. You don't ask Canadians to call themselves the Dominion of Canadians or Brazilians the Federal Republic of Brazilians.

In general, people will introduce themselves as coming from a certain country, never a continent. So if I'm from South Africa, I'll say I'm South African, not African. Chinese (I am Chinese) say they're Chinese, not Asian. We'll AGREE that we're Asian, but we introduce and call ourselves Chinese.

The exception of course, are United States...ians. We introduce ourselves as American instead of what I guess should be United States of American? out of convenience. But like someone said before me, in general I say I'm from the US/United States, not "America", but I do use the term "American" and really think nothing of it. Also, I think USA is the only country in the Americas with the word "America" in its name, so that's certainly another reason why we're Americans. But like I said before, I think the problem lies more in our attempt at dominating the word "American" whereas I don't think Tasmanians care what Australians call themselves.

Heika said:
futaro said:

I'm guessing the reason Latin Americans care and Canadians don't is that most Latin Americans are actually descendents of the aboriginal peoples of the Americas. Most Canadians aren't, and neither are most Americans, though they tend to be all patriotic and whatnot, more than Canadians anyway. I might be wrong, but I couldn't think of another reason why South Americans would care about the demonym "American" being monopolized by US citizens while Canadians wouldn't care.

futaro said:
For example, "westerners" generally refer to Caucasians, i.e. United States, Canada, and Europe. Westerner is probably used more often than Caucasian even. South Americans don't seem too eager to join that club, even though they're technically more west than Europe. Why wouldn't that annoy them as well?

Westerner and Caucasian aren't the same, not where I live anyway. A black American is still a Westerner to me, though not a Caucasian. Although the West (or the Occident) used to have a literal geographic meaning, distinguishing Europe from the "Orient" (i.e Middle East and other Asian lands), it doesn't have much geographical relevance today. I personally rely on economy as a criterion to define the West, rather than ethnicity or geography.

Sorry, I should have said "'westerners' generally refer to people from Caucasian-dominated countries". For me, the term "Westerner" refers to a collection of countries whereas "Caucasian", like "Oriental", is more about culture/ethnicity. A white guy who was born and raised in Saudi Arabia and practices Islam is Caucasian, but not a westerner. You can become a westerner, but you can't become caucasian.
seiyuAug 29, 2012 1:09 PM
Aug 29, 2012 1:23 PM

Jun 2012
I would instantly assume your a citezen of USA
No matter where you go, everyone's connected.
Aug 29, 2012 1:30 PM
Apr 2010
Hyunckel said:
The only other country in North America is Canada.
Aug 29, 2012 3:00 PM
Apr 2012
Ruusaka said:
I would instantly assume your a citezen of USA

Yep, I mean, I'd never say "I'm European" either. And I don't thing Japanese would proudly label themselves as "Asian", just because China and Korea are located in Asia as well, and from what I know they all don't like each other very much.

And by the way, I don't believe "America" is the correct name for the continents either 'cause it's two distinct continents.
Aug 29, 2012 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
I'd believe you're from the states.
-Fixing-
Aug 29, 2012 3:28 PM

Sep 2009
The topic is titled where is America, but the question you are asking is "Who are Americans?".

It is true that American could refer to anyone from the Americas, but most people would assume that you were talking about someone from the United States specifically, because that is the convention. There are a few reasons for this: first of all it is the most populated and most influential country in the Americas. The second reason, however, is because there are no suitable alternatives to refer to people from the United States of America specifically.

I do not think the issue is one of any real importance and would shrug my shoulders with indifference if someone were to get upset about it, though I am not from the Americas so why would I care... anyway, it is really not even remotely important and you should just forget about it.

Secondly, in response to those who assert that North America consists solely of the United States and Canada... the Caribbean, Mexico and all of central America are all part of North America.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Aug 29, 2012 3:48 PM

Sep 2007
Hyunckel said:
XeroCleaths said:
But American from the United States?

Or American from the Americas? Which is one of the 35 countries composing it.

Lolwut
American is supposed to mean you're from the United States of America (that is from one of the 50 (or was it 51?) states composing the country).

The only other country in North America is Canada. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Canadian.

In the middle of the whole continent America is... just one country: Mexico. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Mexican.

Someone doesn't know their geography.
Aug 29, 2012 4:02 PM

May 2012
NicoleB said:
I've never met a non-US from North/South America calling themselves that.

I've never met anyone that would think it was something else either.

This.
Aug 29, 2012 4:13 PM

Jun 2012
Kosters said:
Hyunckel said:

wat the hell
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 29, 2012 4:40 PM
Aug 2012
Check the map or you can also search it on google.
Play adventure games online without annoying ads campaign @ adventuregameshome.com
Aug 29, 2012 4:41 PM

Jun 2010
Kosters said:
Hyunckel said:

He's joking. He's joking right?
Aug 29, 2012 4:51 PM

Feb 2012
I'd be fine if someone called me a USAiyan, personally. One step closer to Super Saiyan.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Aug 29, 2012 5:33 PM

Sep 2008
Technically anyone from the continent of America is American, but it's mostly been coined to describe some one from the United States. Because United Stateian sounds pretty weird.

and it's not like we called our sleeves American, the European nations just refereed to us as such when we where colonies, then we just kinda adopted it.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 29, 2012 6:32 PM

Aug 2012
njd09 said:
I'd be fine if someone called me a USAiyan, personally. One step closer to Super Saiyan.

Lmao. This is what I'm gonna be saying from now on when I'm in a debate at Univesrity over this same subject.
Aug 29, 2012 6:46 PM
Aug 2012
We have "North America" and "South America" which are continents. So it'd be a mistake if the USA was called USNA (United states of north america) would be incorrect and not allowed to be named as a country. Originally USA was called "America" because they were the "FIRST" country to be established in the America's (at the time).
To call "America" a continent is geographically wrong, so you'd have to specify "North America" or "South America" in which case, would make more sense. But Canadians/Mexicans would still be able to call themselves "North Americans" but not just "American".
Aug 29, 2012 6:54 PM

Jun 2008
Is this what you people discuss around here?
Aug 29, 2012 7:00 PM

Sep 2011
If someone says they're American or from America, I assume they're from the U.S. But just to play it safe, I ask, "Where in America are you from?" rather than, "What state?" or something like that.

I usually say I'm from the U.S. rather than America, though from now on, I think I'll go with this.
njd09 said:
Aug 30, 2012 12:32 AM

Apr 2012
Hyunckel said:
XeroCleaths said:
But American from the United States?

Or American from the Americas? Which is one of the 35 countries composing it.

Lolwut
American is supposed to mean you're from the United States of America (that is from one of the 50 (or was it 51?) states composing the country).

The only other country in North America is Canada. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Canadian.

In the middle of the whole continent America is... just one country: Mexico. In that case you wouldn't be an American (well from the continent) but a Mexican.

And then there is the South America, in which turn you precise where you're from, Brazil, Argentina etc.
You don't say "I'm an American", worse case would be "I'm from South America".

You don't say "I'm European" but you precise from where, like France, Italia, Spain etc...

Tl;dr American is supposed to mean USA, not the continent.

Here is the truth...

And why would somebody refer to themselves as American until they actually need to...?

You should be ashamed.
JustALEX said:

Yes, we talk about this here.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 30, 2012 6:59 AM

May 2009
GloriousHawk said:
The answer lies here:

Therefore
Aug 30, 2012 7:05 AM

Apr 2012

But the world is the property of the Noodly Appendage.

Autocrat said:
Aug 30, 2012 10:15 AM

Aug 2012
Sorry to all that got hurt in their pride, I was taught as a kid the american continent was divided into North, Central (latina) and South. Back in the day there was just Canada and USA into North America, Mexico Cuba and the lot being into Central America (Latina) and under Mexico South America. Maybe nowadays there is just North and South. Anyway, I wasn't trying to ignore some countries.

Well, except for nitpicking, feigning ignorance or trolling me, I don't see what you all meant. And quoting without adding anything isn't really contributing either. Anyway, I guess everyone understood my point:

If you say you're american, obviously you're implying you're from USA. Who else who'd say he's american if he's not from the USA? He'd just called himself from his country not from his continent, ever.

And to the guy who said "Australia", it's not a continent, but a country, the continent including it (along with New Zealand and other countries) is Oceania.

And here I leave this thread, which despite OP getting his answer, is slowly derailing into a flamewar of who's "Holier than thou".

No need to PM me or comment my profile for this "lolz w u dunno ur geography" I'll just block you.

Jana !

Aug 30, 2012 12:38 PM

Apr 2012
American means of the United States.
If you live in the Americas (note the "s" there), then that's a different story.

Depends how specific they're being.
Aug 31, 2012 8:24 AM
Apr 2010
Hyunckel said:
Sorry to all that got hurt in their pride

I don't think anybody's pride was hurt by your mistake
And quoting without adding anything isn't really contributing either.

Was there really even a need in adding anything? Your comment was hilarious as it is.
And to the guy who said "Australia", it's not a continent, but a country, the continent including it (along with New Zealand and other countries) is Oceania.

You're on a roll, aren't you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29
Aug 31, 2012 9:16 AM

Jun 2011
I would think you're from the USA because no one else calls themselves Americans. Canadians call themselves Canadians, Mexicans call themselves Mexican, ect
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Aug 31, 2012 10:19 AM

Aug 2012
Hyunckel said:

Boy did you prove the following maps wrong:

And this next map just doesn't care about geography.
Aug 31, 2012 11:51 AM

Jun 2008
How can Oceania be a continent if it's a set of islands? Learn thy definitions. ;(
Sep 1, 2012 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
Tachii said:
How can Oceania be a continent if it's a set of islands? Learn thy definitions. ;(

"Continents are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria"

Ever wondered why Europe and Asia are considered separated whereas they are obviously on the same "continent" that is, from latin, "on the same landmass" ? Moreover, Asia is comprised of a different sets of islands. Learn your definition you said ?

XeroCleaths said:
Hyunckel said:

Boy did you prove the following maps wrong:

Strangely enough I found a map agreeing with me. Or maybe it's not strange at all. Thus this proves no one's right nor wrong. There are different conventions for continents. Maybe you were trying to troll me hard, in this case congrats!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

"The term is sometimes used more specifically to denote a continent comprising Australia and proximate islands"

You're welcome. But I think we're derailing the thread. I know you internet dudes love to troll/wanna get technical and nitpicking, but what's the point? Winning an online argument is as winning the Olympics Games, no one cares.

In fact, I think the whole thread is a joke. It's a good example of how people can and will nitpick on everything just to prove something, thing that is almost always subjective or has been arbitrary chosen.

Well if you like that, good for you. Good for you.

As Op got his response long ago here, I'm done with this thread. Have fun gutting each other for technical nitpicking, I don't care if you think you're right or I'm wrong.

Cheers.
HyunckelSep 1, 2012 5:13 AM

Sep 1, 2012 5:26 AM

Jun 2011
If you're using wikipaedia as a source...

Australia is a continent comprising the mainland of the country of Australia, its island state Tasmania, and proximate islands including New Guinea, the Aru Islands, and the Raja Ampat Islands. The continent is sometimes known in technical contexts by the names Sahul, Australinea or Meganesia, to distinguish it from the Australian mainland.

It is the smallest of the seven traditional continents in the English conception. New Zealand is not part of the continent of Australia, but of the separate, submerged continent of Zealandia. Zealandia and Australia are both part of the wider regions known as Australasia and Oceania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)
Sep 1, 2012 5:44 AM
Sep 1, 2012 5:49 AM

Sep 2009
jal90 said:
-I'm USAian
-Bolt?

If I had a starting pistol, I would have shot you for that.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Sep 1, 2012 10:27 AM

Jun 2008
Immahnoob said:

JustALEX said:

Yes, we talk about this here.

LOL OK....

I know I've been away for a long time, but if this is what's acceptable for a GD thread, then by all means carry on.
Sep 2, 2012 9:15 PM
Mar 2010
I'd think you were from the US. No one else wants to get it twisted, so they don't say that they're American, they just say that they're Canadian, Mexican, etc. I'm Canadian, and I've often wondered why the States got to call themselves Americans. It's kind of silly, really. Let's just call you guys Statians.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Sep 2, 2012 9:32 PM

Dec 2011
When someone says they're American I make the safe assumption that they're speaking of their nationality and are therefore from the USA, not one of the Americas (continents). I've never heard a Brazilian say they're American. That's stupid..
Sep 2, 2012 9:36 PM

Apr 2007
This is what happens when people argue about semantics
Sep 2, 2012 11:37 PM
May 2010
am i the only one that feels this is a really a dumb question w/an obvious answer and a complete waste of time? i just felt like my intelligence was being insulted for some reason, not to offend, but it seems obvious that no one calls themselves americans except for citizens of usa. isn't this obvious?
Sep 3, 2012 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
People don't go saying "I'm from Europe"
Sep 3, 2012 12:36 AM

Apr 2012
SergioSource said:
People don't go saying "I'm from Europe"

Sometimes I meet ignorant people that don't know where Romania or Italy is.

And I'm like...

"You know... Europe, son."

Autocrat said:
Sep 3, 2012 12:52 AM

Feb 2011
When I say i'm from America, I assume everyone understands i'm from the United States. So I would also assume that your from America.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has anyone ever told you in real life that "You are enough"?

LenRea - Apr 30

26 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

11 by Serafos »»
19 minutes ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

52 by Freshell »»
21 minutes ago

» What is the weather like in your region

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

8 by deg »»
35 minutes ago

» My computer auto turn off due to overheating when playing game, is there a way to reduce the overheating non-physically?

aLotQuestion_ - Yesterday

8 by SmugSatoko »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.