Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2013 11:26 AM

Oct 2012
Forgetfulness said:

When I want a "realistic" and wimpy MC, I do not want it in an anime with a synopsis like this:

Not once in that paragraph did it remotely hint that he would cry for over half the series.

It also didn't say it would suck feature a crazy yandere.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 12, 2013 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
As long as their character develops eventually, I can bear them.

Jun 12, 2013 7:35 PM
May 2010
I want to see more muscular/manly characters. All leads are skinny uke teenage boys :L .... nothing bad with that, but it gets tiring sometimes....
Jun 12, 2013 11:39 PM

Jan 2013
Wimpy male leads are indeed grating as hell, especially if they stay that way for the entire series.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 12, 2013 11:49 PM

Sep 2012
mintdragon123 said:
I want to see more muscular/manly characters. All leads are skinny uke teenage boys :L .... nothing bad with that, but it gets tiring sometimes....
Then maybe you should pay a little more attention to the character designs of what you decide to watch?
Jun 13, 2013 12:01 AM
Mar 2013
Is this where I get to tell everyone what I learned in intro to sociology about how gender roles are artificial, maaaaan?
Jun 13, 2013 12:44 AM

Feb 2013
Cbubbles said:
Is this where I get to tell everyone what I learned in intro to sociology about how gender roles are artificial, maaaaan?

Yes please, enlighten us.
Jun 13, 2013 1:17 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty much. The only people who enjoy wimpy protagonists are basically beta wimpy males themselves.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 13, 2013 1:18 AM

Sep 2012
MajinSaga said:
Pretty much. The only people who enjoy wimpy protagonists are basically beta wimpy males themselves.
Or people who know how to think.
Jun 13, 2013 1:19 AM

Jan 2013
ihateeveryone said:
patsuan said:
Whenever a MC starts crying, or has that look in his eyes like "fuck, I can't do this man, I'm gonna die", it really grinds my gears and makes me wanna stop watching that crap.

Because males can't ever be weak, right?

No, after watching Evangelion I began to really sympathize with these types of characters and I definitely don't hate them. Especially after how overemphasized Shinji being a "wimpy crybaby" was.

I just think people's hatred and rage for them is over exaggerated and dumb.

Well they shouldn't be. Hard to believe that we went from sword swinging barbarians (our ancestors) to filing lawsuits for someone calling you fat or gay (today) and being a complete bitch about it rather than confront it.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 1, 2013 5:13 AM
May 2012
Yes i hate them. Especially the main character of Evangelion is disgusting.

Red_Keys said:
MajinSaga said:

No. I agree with MajinSaga.
Aug 1, 2013 5:26 AM

Sep 2011
Aerostar said:

Red_Keys said:
MajinSaga said:

How so?

Let's use Shinji and you as examples. If you are in the same situation as Shinji's, will you let yourself pilot that fucking EVA without even thinking you might get killed once you pilot it and get into action? Before you call Shinji as disgusting and other protagonists that you classify them as "wimpy" as well, try to think first like what Red_Key's said about their perspective and such.

You classify Shinji as disgusting yet I bet you'll get the same reaction as Shinji if there'll be a time that you'll be on a same situation as him? Then you classify yourself too as disgusting.
TennoujiAug 1, 2013 5:42 AM

Aug 1, 2013 5:31 AM

May 2013
I like them. It's better than a perfect hero that can pick up any weapon and use without trying. (Saito being an exception)
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 1, 2013 5:33 AM

May 2010
Only when they stay wimpy and do not develop themselves throughout.

Aug 1, 2013 5:41 AM

Apr 2011
ShoujoChrome said:
Only when they stay wimpy and do not develop themselves throughout.

True. This is the only time when the wimpy leads get annoying. For an example, this is why Rito of TLR is such an annoying MC. He gets used to being around girls (and talking to them), but never mans up (never tries to clear the misunderstandings). Then again, it's a harem ecchi, so I guess it's partly my fault for expecting anything else.
Aug 1, 2013 5:43 AM
May 2012
Tennouji_ said:
Aerostar said:

Red_Keys said:
MajinSaga said:

How so?

Let's use Shinji and you as examples. If you are in the same situation as Shinji's, will you let yourself pilot that fucking EVA without even thinking you might get killed once you pilot it and get into action? Before you call Shinji as disgusting and other protagonists that you classify them as "wimpy" as well, try to think first like what Red_Key's said about their perspective and such.

You classify Shinji as disgusting yet I bet you'll get the same reaction as Shinji if you take Shinji's place? Then you classify yourself too as disgusting.

Shinji is extremely disgusting character. i actually have tried to watch End of Evangelion twice but always i close it soon. he is a loser character really. easily the most annoying character i know. lol.

No i don't think anyone would act like shinji. i don't mean just piloting.
Aug 1, 2013 5:45 AM

Apr 2011
Aerostar said:

I'm quite sure any normal highschool boy would piss his pants the moment he sees one of those monsters in NGE. Anyone who wouldn't is a weirdo.
Aug 1, 2013 5:51 AM

May 2013
yhunata said:
Aerostar said:

I'm quite sure any normal highschool boy would piss his pants the moment he sees one of those monsters in NGE. Anyone who wouldn't is a weirdo.
Don't forget that most of us are not what is considered normal. Normal is a stupid word anyway.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 1, 2013 6:15 AM
Mar 2013
Well yes, I hate wimpy leads (be it male or female) but I'd give them some space to find out why they're being wimpy. If it's just a lack of the good old brawn, then, too bad.

As for this Shinji sucks argument. Really people, I don't think anyone watched NGE for Shinji. I mean let's admit it, he really wasn't there all that much was he?
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Aug 1, 2013 6:26 AM

Jun 2013
HHHHHH......The minute i saw words "wimpy" and "male" i knew that there was going to be some sort of debate about Shinji.

I bet that everyone who has made this type of thread must have had "Shinji Ikari" in their minds. :/

Also, there are two sides in this argument than can be summed up:

-The one's who like realistic, flawed characters.

-And those who like more those power-fantasy characters that are perfect in every way.
EVAMAAKU14Aug 1, 2013 6:32 AM
Aug 1, 2013 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
EVAMAAKU14 said:
HHHHHH......The second i saw words "wimpy" and "male" i knew that there was going to be some sort of debate about Shinji.

I bet that everyone who has made this type of thread must have had "Shinji Ikari" in their minds. :/

Also, there are two sides in this argument can be summed up:

-The one's who like realistic, flawed characters.

-And those who like more those power-fantasy characters that are perfect in every way.

To be frank I thought of Amano Yukiteru . Well , nonetheless , they are annoying but my sister , my mother and my father annoy me alot but I dont hate someone or a character for being annoying . Most of people here are idealists ..... they cant accept anything but X or anything but Y . "Oh noes a male is doing dishes , washes the laundry and cooks what lame he is ..... that's a womans job". That's exactly how this thread sounds .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Aug 1, 2013 7:13 AM

Mar 2013
Yes,especially when they have a harem of four or five hot chicks and haven't done shit to deserve it.
So Far,so Good...So What!
Aug 1, 2013 8:33 AM

Apr 2013
It depends...
I hated the little bitch from Mirai Nikki, but I didn't mind Shu from Guilty Crown or Shinji from NGE.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Aug 1, 2013 8:44 AM

Dec 2012
Diran-kun said:
yhunata said:
Aerostar said:

Don't forget that most of us are not what is considered normal. Normal is a stupid word anyway.

Lol stop overestimating yourself.

Would you be scared shitless if you were in Shinji place? Yes.
But will you adapt to your situation unlike Shinji ? Yes.
Aug 2, 2013 9:11 PM

Oct 2012
Yea Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki pissed me off when he would just stand by in shock or horror whenever something happens although I can't say I would act any different if I were in his situation.
Aug 2, 2013 9:23 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Would you be scared shitless if you were in Shinji place? Yes.
But will you adapt to your situation unlike Shinji ? Yes.

I think you meant no for the second question.
Aug 2, 2013 9:31 PM

Dec 2012
I don't see how. I literally facepalmed when I saw Shinji doing the same shit he always does in the original tv series when I watched EoE.

Was Shinji even a developed character by the end of it? all that focus on him, yet no development.
Aug 2, 2013 9:34 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
I don't see how. I literally facepalmed when I saw Shinji doing the same shit he always does in the original tv series when I watched EoE.

Was Shinji even a developed character by the end of it? all that focus on him, yet no development.

Ye, he learnt how to crap his pants.
Aug 2, 2013 9:37 PM

May 2012
Depends on why they are wimpy. If they have legitimate trauma, like Shinji from EVA for example, then I am fine. But if it is like Yukki from Mirai Nikki, then I fucking hate them, or Armin from AoT.
Aug 2, 2013 9:40 PM

Dec 2012
PoeticJustice said:
Depends on why they are wimpy. If they have legitimate trauma, like Shinji from EVA for example, then I am fine. But if it is like Yukki from Mirai Nikki, then I fucking hate them, or Armin from AoT.

Elaborate ?
Aug 2, 2013 9:41 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
PoeticJustice said:

Elaborate ?

Yukki is a little boy who never dropped his balls.
Aug 2, 2013 9:42 PM

Dec 2012
I don't mind as long as they turn into a huge bad-ass in the middle or near the end
Aug 2, 2013 9:49 PM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
PoeticJustice said:

Elaborate ?

When I say legitimate trauma, I mean reasons that adequately explain why they behave the way they do. Yukki, from the beginning was a coward, bullying was never mentioned. The only thing even slightly traumatic was his parents divorce and that isn't even close to what the rest of the cast had to go through. Sure, it is understandable why he was scared, but his behaviors are inconsistent and irrational. They don't match up with his character. He toughens up a bit in the middle, regresses, and then balls up again.
Aug 2, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2009
tsudecimo said:

That was the point. People don't always over come their problems easily. In some instances they fail and fail again and maybe they never are able to overcome their trauma. Shinji is especially vulnerable being a 14 year old kid who is also coming to terms with his sexuality, along with his daddy issues and inferiority complex. Now, maybe it's not compelling TV to you to see stuff like this. But, I can say that he is a perfectly easy to relate character for me and, I would imagine, others out there.

That said, I feel like Shinji does overcome his issues. It just takes the full series for this to happen, which imo is what makes the Congratulations/instrumentality scenes so powerful.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2013 2:47 AM

Apr 2013
PoeticJustice said:
tsudecimo said:
PoeticJustice said:

Elaborate ?

When I say legitimate trauma, I mean reasons that adequately explain why they behave the way they do. Yukki, from the beginning was a coward, bullying was never mentioned. The only thing even slightly traumatic was his parents divorce and that isn't even close to what the rest of the cast had to go through. Sure, it is understandable why he was scared, but his behaviors are inconsistent and irrational. They don't match up with his character. He toughens up a bit in the middle, regresses, and then balls up again.

You dont need a trauma to be like that . Bullying never mentioned ?
What the heck Kousaka represented for Yuki ?
Remember the scene where Kousaka approaches Yuki after exam?

You dont understand Yuki yet you understand Shinji and you defend him and yet you argue about someone you dont understand ?

Sorry , but you left me speechless.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Aug 3, 2013 2:55 AM

May 2013
I'm going to kill anyone who mentioned Shinji.

Wouldn't that make you a psychopath though, if you lack empathy?
AnguishedAug 3, 2013 3:11 AM
Aug 3, 2013 2:56 AM
Aug 2012
Absolutely, unless they somehow prove themself by the end of the show hoho
Aug 3, 2013 3:12 AM

Sep 2009
I don't hate unless there's a legit reason to be hated for.
Aug 3, 2013 3:17 AM

Nov 2012
Okeay I'm getting a bit irritated now about this kind of threads. We all know its about Evangelion and Mirai nikki again. Well i tell you this what if it was some macho guy instead of a winy guy. Totally would not fit the anime. Those anime just needed those kind of character to make it work.
Aug 3, 2013 7:14 AM
Jun 2012
One has to understand that Shinji is 13 years old, with daddy issues, experienced his friends almost die, has some serious social issues, and has pretty much really horrible circumstances placed on him. I personally like wimpy main characters.
Aug 3, 2013 7:22 AM

Apr 2012
I usually like them.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 4, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
Renton in Eureka 7... ugh...
Don't get me wrong, he played his role in the story well. It's just that there are so many times I wanted to cut him.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 4, 2013 7:36 PM

Jun 2013
To be honest, no. They're a lot more relatable than characters that handle every problem thrown at them perfectly. An example of this would be Yukki from Mirai Nikki- everyone complains about how weak he is but that's exactly how any normal person would act in that situation, and that's why I'm a big fan of his. I like characters that are a little vulnerable as opposed to perfect.
Aug 4, 2013 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
u know i dont mind them BUT i dont like how they take the slaps/hits/kicks and watever else from the girls in the show they are in. good example of this would be familiar of zero or to love ru like i could of swore both the MC's were jst major masochists but denying it the whole damn series.
Aug 4, 2013 7:46 PM

Jun 2013
It depends.

In the case of Shinji from Evangelion I was OK with him being wimpy and running because the situation kind of warranted it. He didn't really have friends or a family and he was in a hell of a confusing/mentally scaring situation.

In the case of Renton Thurston, man up. Sure Renton went through a lot of traumatic stuff but at the end of the day you have a girl who loves you, a loving grandfather, and a ton of friends aboard the Gekko. Yet he sheds tears when he can't pass a soccer ball.

In short, it's all situational.
Aug 4, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2011
I don't care because I look at girls more than boys.
Aug 5, 2013 3:17 AM

Jun 2009
It really depends on how they're written.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2013 6:49 AM

Apr 2013
No. Why should I be? Every male lead being a superhero would get stale.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Aug 5, 2013 9:14 AM

May 2013
I can't stand many of the wimpy main leads it just fucking ticks me off, but some of them I guess I can tolerate. Basically, it depends on the anime, and how I'm feeling at the time.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 28 minutes ago

9 by Zimmu »»
2 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
59 seconds ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 15 minutes ago

1 by Nemo_Niemand »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by Zettaiken »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

232 by TheMinkalex »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.