Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2008 2:20 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
u would practically give your soul to the devil over a dog? well yeah maybe u are totally in love with it, but surely its rly extreme and the dog wouldnt have wanted its owner who it loved as well to suffer forever due to him/her? hmm
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2008 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
i remeber this episode. the woman also killed her parents for the inheritance, I think it's more than the dogs,the fact that the woman blackmailed her and all he things she did made her go overboard.

Oct 7, 2008 9:11 AM

Mar 2008
R_asuka said:
i remeber this episode. the woman also killed her parents for the inheritance, I think it's more than the dogs,the fact that the woman blackmailed her and all he things she did made her go overboard.

ermmm sorry but i think u got the wrong episode. it was a little girl, who had a pet dog who was all she had for family (orphaned). she gave it to a doctor, who replaced the scheduled drug treatment to playing golf with one of his friends. as a consequence, the dog died. his assistant (who is good), felt guilty, told the girl the truth, and she goes off to take revenge.
personally, i think its a little extreme to sell your soul to the devil to see justice for the dog. not matter how much u loved it, and it loved u back, im sure it wouldnt want to see you put to harm or hell.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2008 6:58 AM

Sep 2008
She didn't use the doll for just the dog. It was the fact that the doctor didn't care about animals at all, and just ran the clinic for the money. When she used the site to avenge the dog she didn't know that the jigoku shoujo took your soul too. Her pulling the string was pretty much done reflexively, even though if she had left the doll at home, she probably wouldn't have pulled it.

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Apr 16, 2009 2:00 PM

Dec 2008
i wouldnt go to hell just to avenge my dead dog... i would try to settle it in an other way.

eternal suffering, is a bit too much in this case...
Jun 29, 2009 9:05 PM

Oct 2008
I think that's the problem that I have with the premise although I really am enjoying the series. So what you are going through on earth is just unbearable right now? You get momentary relief until you die from that one person but have to spend the rest of eternity in extreme misery, pain, and suffering.

This episode was really hard for me to watch because I'm such a dog lover.

I didn't like the series the first time I saw the first episode, but I watched it over again in subtitles instead of dubbed and the series grew on me. I watch it subbed now (I'm not usually a subtitle snob)

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Istra
Jul 27, 2009 11:28 PM

Sep 2007
People need to think broader for this -__- She didn't just do it for the dog. When she originally looked at the site it was for that reason, but when she found out she would have to go to hell she decided not to. It's because the guy was rotten overall that made her pull the string. I probably wouldn't have done it, but he did deserve to die.

I love how the end of this episode was done putting him in a hospital where they didn't give a shit about him.

Istra said:
I didn't like the series the first time I saw the first episode, but I watched it over again in subtitles instead of dubbed and the series grew on me. I watch it subbed now (I'm not usually a subtitle snob)

Dubs for this are fine to me. I'm a dub and sub person.

Aug 5, 2009 7:43 AM

Apr 2009

It deserves the "doctor" right! He deserves to be punished more and feel the way he treated the animals. Bleh I say.
Aug 27, 2009 1:00 AM

Mar 2009
There were other ways to bring the guy down, it seems people are fairly impulsive in this series so far. Also, i'm wondering what happens if they repent. All the episodes have given the "bad" person a chance to confess that they were, in fact, wrong to do what they did and show they truly have remorse.

P.S. I am hooked so far!
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Sep 18, 2009 4:46 PM

Aug 2009
Why would you give you soul for a dog? You could have just buy another one lol.

Anyways, nice episode. I thought back there that the nurse was the real culprit. (You never know XD) I guess I was wrong. It was the doctor all the way.
Oct 5, 2009 8:31 AM

Apr 2009
Istra said:
I think that's the problem that I have with the premise although I really am enjoying the series. So what you are going through on earth is just unbearable right now? You get momentary relief until you die from that one person but have to spend the rest of eternity in extreme misery, pain, and suffering.

This. I agree completely.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Oct 12, 2009 3:14 AM

Nov 2007
meh, the real story can start now..
Oct 30, 2009 5:13 PM

Oct 2009
It's the thought that counts, that doctor was an asshole and all assholes deserve to die. It doesn't really matter that he didn't break any laws, but still there are many socially acceptable people who would be better off dead.
Nov 6, 2009 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
Predseln said:
i wouldnt go to hell just to avenge my dead dog... i would try to settle it in an other way.

Yeah, the girl was definately over doing it... :/
I'm an animal lover, but still...oo
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Dec 25, 2009 6:44 PM

Dec 2007
Moonfrost said:

Lol. Yeah buy a bunch of dogs, train them to kill evil doctors =).

Sorkalith said:
There were other ways to bring the guy down, it seems people are fairly impulsive in this series so far. Also, i'm wondering what happens if they repent. All the episodes have given the "bad" person a chance to confess that they were, in fact, wrong to do what they did and show they truly have remorse.

100% agree.
Jan 31, 2010 12:37 PM

Jan 2009
It's a shame that the first half of each of these episodes are becoming stale and boring to watch. When the second half is just so amazing, I love the ways they come up with to try to get the person to admit what they had done wrong. The overly episodic nature is starting to get to me though.
Feb 6, 2010 12:31 PM

Nov 2009
I just watched this and scratched my head. I dont see why she would want to burn in hell over a dog. It's the way of the world that there are vets who do their job just for the money and not for the pleasure of saving animals.

This may have been an extreme case but even then, Junko's meddling lost the nurse who was doing her job properly her job as well so I cannot really approve of the revenge she asked for.
Mar 18, 2010 2:09 PM

Aug 2008
hmmm I won't do that over a dog for sure although I do love animals very much.
Oh well, to each his own.
Apr 27, 2010 2:38 PM

Jul 2009
Is it bad that I'm more glad about the little girl going to hell?

She was annoying as hell. She ended up getting someone fired and she used illegal means to get evidence.

All this to rid the world of one asshole? Even she says at the end: "Mom, Dad, Candy, watch over me from above." She would give up an eternity with her loved ones to kill one asshole?

With the ones before I had at least some sympathy because of what they did to the victim. But this....I'm glad she's going to hell....
Apr 30, 2010 9:18 AM

Jun 2009
Strange how I thought this was the best episode so far. I think the scene where the doctor mocked the animal's inability to talk made me think "Ice the Bastard" And the hell sequence was fantastic in it's irony.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 3, 2010 6:49 AM

Dec 2009
gotta love how the doctor was put in the same situation .

>_> the girl pulled the string because she was angry , when a human becomes angry he/she forgets a few things for the moment ...
Sep 5, 2010 8:25 AM

Aug 2009
Being a cat owner I kinda felt for this story more than the others. I even felt like crying in parts. And clearly those of you in here that say stuff like: "why care so much about a dog?" or "get another one" no offense, but i guess u've never been pet owners... :S
House animals ARE family members and trust me it hurts quite the same when you lose an animal. It's like losing a good friend!
I just loved the scene in this episode, although a little cruel, where they left him in that cage aching without paying him any attention. But still that guy was an asshole and brought it all to himself. Actions => consequences. it's all a matter of balance in nature.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Oct 22, 2010 4:54 AM
Oct 2010
Sure, because is an pet that is your only family. If was a brother that died because a stupid doctor????
Oct 31, 2010 9:49 PM

Nov 2009
She pulled the string not just because of her own dog, IMO, or she would have done it to begin with. She did it because the ass hole had no remorse and would continue to do it to other animals as well.
Nov 5, 2010 9:57 PM

Oct 2009
Wow if you were a true animal lover you would die for your pet O.o
I would have die for my dog. I almost did once when my dog escape from the leach and went to the street to upcoming cars. I jumped in front and covered my dog(Toy poodle). I don't care if i suffer, but if some bastard asshole vet is not treating my pet or animals right, i would suffer in hell and avenge my dogs and other pets to let him die. This is reason I am going to college to study to be a vet and help animals not for the money.
And you people call yourself animal lover TSK TSK
i will only label as animal likers if your not risking your life XD
Dec 26, 2010 5:40 AM

Jan 2010
serves that doctor right >.< I want him to suffer more
Feb 14, 2011 9:36 AM

Dec 2008
Ms. Sekimoto needs to go to hell for sharing that kind of information with a child!! WTF was she thinking???
Feb 15, 2011 11:52 PM

Oct 2008
That bastard doesn't deserve to be a VET.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 4, 2011 3:05 PM

Feb 2010
This episode really made me think about my own dogs (two of them). They're pains in the ass sometimes, but I still love them, and, yes, they're both part of the family.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Apr 18, 2011 1:44 PM

Jan 2010
Great episode.
I swear, i was so sad.
I think I tried a fake hell correspondence once. >_>;
I pefer dubs. It's b/c I'm too lazy to read subtitles. xD;;;
Jul 1, 2011 10:41 PM

Jan 2010
I'm starting to get really frustrated with this series. Specifically the people in it who ask Ai for revenge. Nothing is worth damning yourself to Hell for all eternity! You know what's a better idea? Junko should've gotten a gun & shot the doctor in the head! Then he's dead & Junko doesn't have to go to Hell! She might have life in jail but at least when she dies she'd have eternity in Heaven! Life is nothing compared to an eternity in Heaven! It's so frustrating!!!
Aug 27, 2011 11:56 PM
Aug 2009
I am an owner of four pets. Have had many pets in the past.
I wouldn't pawn my soul for this situation.
He neglected the animals, but he didn't beat them, even so, he was a douchebag for neglect but he would of gone after death anyways.
As far as I'm concerned the girl was just selfish, she was about to pull immediately, before she knew she would go to Hell also. Human life is no big deal to her so she deserves Hell as well I suppose?
It accomplished nothing. She didn't get the dog back, didn't get her parents back. She got a kind person fired, and herself damned. Nothing to really gain.
Worthless effort.
She 'has no one'. As far as I saw, she had kind people taking care of her.
Spoiled kids.
Sep 11, 2011 1:09 AM

Sep 2010
She's going a little overboard.
Sep 13, 2011 5:01 AM
Jul 2010
Cele said:
Istra said:

This. I agree completely.
It seems like everyone's saying that it's kinda stupid to pull the string. The thing is, us humans are just like that. We think about things in the long term and we try to decide things rationally. But in the end, our present feelings and emotions and the thought of the immediate future usually end up taking the best of us.
Dec 22, 2011 8:17 AM

May 2010
I agree that it was probably a mistake to pull the string. But I have a feeling that's actually going to become the point of the series later on. Wouldn't it be amazing if this series turns back to these characters and follows them through their lives? Each of them would find themselves regretting what they'd done, and somehow they have to deal with the fact that they're going to burn in hell for all eternity. Couldn't this be the set-up for something amazing?
“Money can't buy dere”
Jan 15, 2012 5:06 AM

Dec 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Strange how I thought this was the best episode so far. I think the scene where the doctor mocked the animal's inability to talk made me think "Ice the Bastard" And the hell sequence was fantastic in it's irony.

I agree. And it's also my favorite episode so far.

If you asked Jigoku Shoujo to take you to hell for a day first so you can see what it's really like before making your final decision, would she let you?
EDIT: It looks like she would, and in fact that is not just an option. It appears that she gives you a vision of hell after she hands you the straw doll.
kesmikcuzJan 15, 2012 9:29 PM
Signature:
May 8, 2012 3:01 PM

Feb 2012
Like everyone here, I'm questioning the rationality of selling your soul to the devil over a dead dog. But then again...I think bending common sense will allow Jigoku Shoujo's premise to stretch itself out over more episodes. Otherwise, like OriginANIME said, you'd only have people pulling the string in life-threatening situations.

Karasuchan said:
gotta love how the doctor was put in the same situation .

Yes! Retributive justice! After episode 2, I complained that the punishment in the first two episodes didn't "fit" the crime, but after seeing episode 3 and, to a greater extent, this episode, I have a lot more hope for this series.
Aug 5, 2012 7:35 AM

May 2012
Care to give death a try? AND HE'S GONE!
Sep 14, 2012 1:45 PM

Apr 2011
Moonfrost said:

Anyways, nice episode. I thought back there that the nurse was the real culprit. (You never know XD) I guess I was wrong. It was the doctor all the way.
Your no different than the doctor and Candy death itself, isn't the main point after the little girl + assistant was kicked out of the store.

She did not want to revenge her dog w/ her soul in hell, that's why she looked for an alternative, but it failed and she only pull it out of reflex.

Anyone notice how the protagonist finds out about the site through random girls in the background? I feel its stage by those devils XD
Oct 28, 2012 12:24 AM
Aug 2011
Well... As Ghandi once said: "An eye for an eye makes the world blind."

On that note, because of my parents, I do not care for dogs 1 bit. They absolutely annoy me now, so I would not sell my soul just because I was mad at some vet. By doing that, she was no different than the vet himself. Actually, what she did was worse. Given the themes of the anime, she committed a sin-wrath- and let her own hatred control her into killing someone.
Feb 11, 2013 7:44 AM

Aug 2012
*Sigh* I was hoping for a change.. but it's the same ordeal in every episode so far.. I'm really disliking how all these good people are going to be punished when these revenges aren't really much different from warfare.. They're defending the people they love from vicious inhuman people.....

But yeah, the mocking the doctor scenes were hilarious, I loved it

meh.. I'l contenue to watch as just waiting for some sort of change on Ai's side of the story...
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 4, 2013 1:17 PM

Sep 2012
Not cruel enough.
Jun 13, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2012
I liked this punishment but it was not taking long this time and to be honest of course what he did was wrong but sending some one to hell is a bit to much + the person who asked for help will have eternal suffering him/her self.

then again if it was a human that suffered this way would we all still try to solve it a different way I mean if it's family or something I think I would make the deal before she could finish her sentence of what will happen to me in return. so I kinda understand she sent him to hell the dog was her only family.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Feb 9, 2014 5:02 PM

May 2012
The girl is so annoying and she seems to love her smelly dog even more than her parents. People kill rats every day and don't give shit about how those rats "feel". Why dogs should be any better. If dog dies then just buy another one. Dogs don't have a personality, and they can be replaced unlike your real family.
thepathFeb 9, 2014 5:31 PM
Mar 14, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
Hmmm.. sadly enough there are actually people like this in the real world.
That scene with Ai's face popping from above when she said "Ippen.. shinde miru?" priceless. \(^o^)/
Apr 16, 2014 7:35 AM

Jun 2011
I thought that the sudden change in sensei's behaviour was forced. It's hard to sit through another episode of this.. -.- please do something else already. D:

Shirai Kuroko (TAKnR) as the kid was annoying. Koyasu as the evil vet.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 25, 2014 8:39 AM
Dec 2013
I probably wouldn't have done it like she did, but that person really did deserve to go to hell. People who don't understand why she did it, have never had a pet before lol.

controlmajortom
You'd probably also go to hell, lol. The assistant probably would've quit after all that happened and when she found out what kind of person she worked for, and illegal means to get evidence? Oh, that's *so* bad. Yeah, right. And you think what the doctor did was legal? You're the same person as him. Mirror image.
Sep 18, 2014 8:53 AM

Jan 2014
Bad doctor...
Sep 23, 2014 10:02 PM

Feb 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Also didn't help that I've never had a pet and can't empathize with throwing away something so valuable for an animal...

Yeah Ive never had a pet either, so I couldn't really understand her love for the animal. Honestly I feel it was more she didn't wanna be alone since her parents died, and the dog was all she had left of her family.

Also she was only like 10 years old :/.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitamaking - Oct 4, 2008

106 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.