Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2012 1:49 PM
Jun 2012
paladin2050 said:
i think the mystery part of the movie is why he would forgive her

Kininarimasu.

We didn't even get to meet the scriptwriter, she should be back at school by then.

Cirris said:

Actually it is possible for the movie scene to work with the rope. The killer just had to switch keys after they killed Kaitou and lock Kaitou in the room. Since the master key was used to open the door, unless someone double checked the key left at Kaitou's arm, no one would know the difference. The killer already opened the door to the room they used to climb down. So they wouldn't need their original key again.

On top of that, To solve the riddle the "smoking gun clue" would be to find the person who has Kaitou's key. Which would make for an interesting reveal.

Had I been tasked with what Fuyumi was, that is probably what I would have gone with. Stays very close to the original script, yes has at least a bit of an ending twist. Doesn't violate what has been seen or break Knox' rules. There are other ways to deal with the locked door, but not as good.

Yet Hotaru's first solution was better for that film. Yes, it was horrible from a mystery perspective, but it was exiting and made bad acting seem a clue. Most viewers would prefer that and I think the class would have been happier with it.

KaitoDash said:

The window was not closed but the path from that window to Kaitou's room was unusable.

Hongou's trick mentioned that Kaitou locked the door himself. So it was possible to climb down to him using that path and let him lock himself. But in the movie, Kaitou was killed in that room, thus the locked room that he couldn't possibly lock it himself. The door was locked means the path to that door was unusable, thus no meaning in climbing the rope down there and no meaning of the rope.

So your thinking is that because one explanation for the locked door becomes impossible, all the others must too? I can't really agree with that.

s2012k1993 said:

If you have read the complete paragraph, you would have realized that by true goal, I meant Hongou's wish: Everyone has a good time completing the movie project.

Language doesn't work like that. You actually have convey what you mean in some way.

s2012k1993 said:

It is this that makes Irisu's endeavor so pitiful. If she had asked Eba, she would have realized that her goal, movie success, should have come second to the true goal, happiness of students. It's because she doesn't ask Eba, she takes this huge detour that leaves her with regret.

That still doesn't make any sense. It's a one "true goal" for you, not for the author, or the character Fuyumi.
Jul 2, 2012 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
Helpme said:
s2012k1993 said:

It is this that makes Irisu's endeavor so pitiful. If she had asked Eba, she would have realized that her goal, movie success, should have come second to the true goal, happiness of students. It's because she doesn't ask Eba, she takes this huge detour that leaves her with regret.

That still doesn't make any sense. It's a one "true goal" for you, not for the author, or the character Fuyumi.

Actually, the scriptwriter, Hongou, does chat about this with Irisu online. I wasn't making this up; it's actually mentioned in the online chat scene between Irisu and Hongou.
Jul 2, 2012 3:55 PM
Jan 2012
s2012k1993 said:
Melodrama over a simple school movie project? What's the point if one could have asked Hongou? I think this episode lays bare the central conflict over this arc: the importance of intentions. Let me explain.

Irisu convinces Houtarou to solve this mystery because he is the best detective in the school. Houtarou is tricked into believing Irisu chose him because he can best solve this dilemma class 2F is in. Irisu never lies; after all, Houtarou is probably the best person to solve this mystery. Houtarou solves this mystery using the facts given to him (i.e. the movie). Now, when Houtarou gets angry, it's because he realizes that these were never Irisu's intentions. Irisu led him to believe that her intentions were for him to solve the script, when in fact, she wanted someone to write a better script. Why? Because she wanted the movie to be a success, she put the success of the movie over the intentions of the scriptwriter, Hongou.

Now, as an analogy, imagine a politician preaching to a community about the virtues of donating their services. Upon hearing the speech, one would come under the impression that the politician is a kindly and generous fellow. What if the politician just spoke as such because he wanted your support in the upcoming elections. We are led to believe that the politician cares about each one of us, when in fact, the politician only sees each person as a possible vote. Now, who would not be raging when they find out the true intentions of the politician.

What the remaining members of the Classics Club push Houtarou to realize is the importance of Hongou's intentions over the correct solution to the script. This is what brings Houtarou to realize Irisu's real intentions. No wonder Houtarou feels unspeakable rage over not only how she misled him in his belief of her true intentions but also how she played with his emotions during the process.

Irisu, on the other hand, doesn't really care that she bullshit Houtarou. With a task ahead of her, she did everything she can to produce the best results. The chat between Irisu and Houtarou's sister is enlightening for this very reason. Irisu finally seems to have realized how contradictory her actions her. The point of the school movie project was really for everyone to have a good time. By believing that the point was for the movie to be a success, she failed to achieve the true goal. Everything comes to bit her back. Hence, the final phrase of each episode of this arc makes sense. Why didn't she ask Eba? Irisu didn't wish to reveal her true, but incorrect, intentions. In hindsight, it makes sense she should have revealed them to Eba, the one closest to Hongou (if not Hongou). Therefore, Irisu would have realized that the success of the movie comes second to the happiness of her classmates and would have never had to pursue her intentions using bullshit.

This arc and the first both seem to repeatedly hit Hyouka's central theme: discovering intentions. In the first arc, we find out Chitanda's uncle's true intentions; in this arc, Hongou's true intentions. In both arcs, the victims are portrayed as unlucky heroes because of the manipulation of intentions.

For those interested, I am using Harry Frankfurt definition of bullshit in his book, "On Bullshit."

*applause* deserves a repost
Jul 2, 2012 4:08 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Cirris said:
well you guys are special :P
That's what my cat tells me...just as I'm feeding her.

Don't ask my ex.
Jul 2, 2012 5:24 PM

Aug 2008
Helpme said:
KaitoDash said:
The window was not closed but the path from that window to Kaitou's room was unusable.

Hongou's trick mentioned that Kaitou locked the door himself. So it was possible to climb down to him using that path and let him lock himself. But in the movie, Kaitou was killed in that room, thus the locked room that he couldn't possibly lock it himself. The door was locked means the path to that door was unusable, thus no meaning in climbing the rope down there and no meaning of the rope.

So your thinking is that because one explanation for the locked door becomes impossible, all the others must too? I can't really agree with that.

I'm not sure you understand my point. Logically, since the door is locked, it is impossible for the culprit to walk through that door. Thus Kounosu won't use the windows because it doesn't help her pass through the door. Hongou's trick was explained that Kounosu was able to use that windows because the door wasn't locked. Houtarou clearly explained this.
Jul 2, 2012 7:26 PM

Jul 2011
Well This has probably been the best arc so far in the series, but man I just wanted to tell Oreki to just calm down. He was taking this a little to seriously. I mean he seemed suicidal.
Jul 2, 2012 8:00 PM

Apr 2011
razor39999 said:
Yvese said:
razor39999 said:
Yvese said:
It wasn't pointless if it turned out Oreki was used just to finish the movie. I'd be pissed too if I was lied to just to produce results.

The fact that it didn't cross their minds to just ask Hongou how she wanted to end it, the silly raging Satoshi (and to a lesser degree Ibara), the fact that at the end of the day it's just a freaking school movie that won't be seen by more than a few hundred people, oh yeah, so completely pointless. Just like every other "mystery" in this show. And even the whole thought process behind Irisu wanting to go such a roundabout way instead of asking Hongou to just modify the script slightly. I mean seriously this whole thing could've been avoided if she just asked nicely. Stupid drama ftw.
Did you even 'watch' the ep? It sounds like you ignored most of it due to you being annoyed. It was made pretty clear why they didn't ask Hongou. Like half the ep talked about it. How could you miss that?

Did you even read what I wrote? The whole "twist" about why Irisu excluded Hongou from writing it is what's retarded. If she only asked the girl nicely to include one death, she probably would've been able to, considering how many Holmes novels she read regardless if she liked death or not. The fact that Irisu bothered to make Hongou seem sick, manipulate Oreki to finish the script and all that for a FREAKING SCHOOL MOVIE, is just plain too much fuss over nothing. That Oreki, Chitanda and co. didn't bother considering to ask the author up until this episode is just a minor cherry on top that shows how dumb they are.

You just too ignorant to watch the whole eps didn't you? Chitanda already thinking that way since the beginning. But why she wasn't able to say it? Again, watch the anime.

Why Irisu didn't ask Hongo to change her script? Again, watch the goddamn anime you just watched. Seriously, you sounds like 'hurr durr' people or tl;dr ones.

And, don't you dare saying "it just a freaking school movie". Don't you ever did it? In your highschool? (If you ever attend one, that is) It also sounds like "this is just a mere drama-play". Of course, if we have totally different value on how we rate "arts", then that would be different matter.
Jul 2, 2012 8:05 PM

Dec 2011
razor39999 said:
Yvese said:
razor39999 said:
Yvese said:
It wasn't pointless if it turned out Oreki was used just to finish the movie. I'd be pissed too if I was lied to just to produce results.

The fact that it didn't cross their minds to just ask Hongou how she wanted to end it, the silly raging Satoshi (and to a lesser degree Ibara), the fact that at the end of the day it's just a freaking school movie that won't be seen by more than a few hundred people, oh yeah, so completely pointless. Just like every other "mystery" in this show. And even the whole thought process behind Irisu wanting to go such a roundabout way instead of asking Hongou to just modify the script slightly. I mean seriously this whole thing could've been avoided if she just asked nicely. Stupid drama ftw.
Did you even 'watch' the ep? It sounds like you ignored most of it due to you being annoyed. It was made pretty clear why they didn't ask Hongou. Like half the ep talked about it. How could you miss that?

Did you even read what I wrote? The whole "twist" about why Irisu excluded Hongou from writing it is what's retarded. If she only asked the girl nicely to include one death, she probably would've been able to, considering how many Holmes novels she read regardless if she liked death or not. The fact that Irisu bothered to make Hongou seem sick, manipulate Oreki to finish the script and all that for a FREAKING SCHOOL MOVIE, is just plain too much fuss over nothing. That Oreki, Chitanda and co. didn't bother considering to ask the author up until this episode is just a minor cherry on top that shows how dumb they are.

Did you even watch this episode (lol) Hongou is a shy and an introverted girl. If Irisu told her to put death in the movie regardless what Hongou wanted, that would made Irisu look bad and we all know that she's a two faced, so it's obvious she wanted to do things "right" without destroying her image.
Jul 2, 2012 8:07 PM

Jan 2012
I actually really liked this episode because it suddenly got dark and bit more intense than usual.
Jul 2, 2012 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
i was waiting for oreki table flip. it's nice seeing him display some emotion.
Jul 2, 2012 9:04 PM

May 2012
KaitoDash said:
vampko said:
yet, he ignored the most important mystery that was in front of him the whole time. So, can you call him a great detective really?

That's why he had to change his perspective, right? I honestly think it was unfair towards him. He was given false clues for Film mystery to solve Hongou's novel mystery, which are two different mysteries. So to say, given clues for one mystery to solve another. That's just absurd.

I disagree that he ignored Hongou's mystery, rather he mixed the two mysteries up. And expecting him to separate them is going too far when he was told that the film was filmed according to Hongou's writings. Anyone would believe that the two would be consistent and have the same contents.

Again, you're missing the point. Why was it that some of us were able to clue in on the correct mystery? It's because we didn't focus on what everyone else was. We tried to find out what was inconsistent. We weren't satisfied with the information we were handed so quickly. The truth is usually buried under other 'truths'. And the true goal, is usually hidden within the 'obvious goal'.

Now, I probably should just say this is myself. Since I can't manage to begin to say how someone else thinks. So, as for myself, this is the way I thought to get to this conclusion.

Saying that it's not Oreki's fault because he was handed the wrong evidence, just means that he was being lazy in a sense.

Oreki I'm sure realized this, and that's why he was so frustrated. He let himself be used. Could he end up a great detective in the future? It's possible, but he has to learn more about thinking outside the box. Still, he's got a good deal of potential.

@others
And, about everyone being 'mean' to Oreki. Remember how Houtaro kept on trying to say that Fukube had some kind of talent? Well, Fukube either has little confidence in himself, or he's well aware of his limits. I'm thinking it's the latter. What Houtaro did to Fukube is akin to a really strong kid ragging on a weak kid for not being able to stand up to the bullies. The weak kid wants soooo bad to stand up to them, but he knows that it would end up in him getting beat up, since he's tried it before. So, the more the strong kid says these things, the more it frustrates the weak kid, and it's like throwing daggers into him each time.

Chitanda wasn't mad at Oreki persay, she just didn't like the result. And since she sort of considered herself a friend of Hongou, she was also upset that Hongou's wish couldn't be fulfilled. And, to be honest, Oreki kinda shoved Chitanda to the side a bit, as did everyone else, even though she was the one with the right mindset.

Mayaka didn't really seem to blow up at Houtaro at all, just let him know that things didn't make sense.

All three of them said it was a great end though.

EDIT
Ah, forgot this too. He read the script. So, he could have easily realized that something was off.
Jul 2, 2012 9:12 PM

Nov 2011
Irisu is a bitch.
Jul 2, 2012 9:21 PM

Feb 2010
it was so obvious that hongou wasn't sick, but i wasn't expecting that explanation.

amazing episode.
Jul 2, 2012 10:31 PM

Jun 2011
I had a bad feeling about Irisu from the start, and she had given her self away in the beginning when she said"good luck". Because of it insignificance the other three brushed it off. But I noticed that Oreki had a small feeling about it, but probably brushed it off because if the current task at hand.
(will edit later too tired to finish)

Jul 2, 2012 11:12 PM
Jan 2012
Vanisher said:
it was so obvious that hongou wasn't sick, but i wasn't expecting that explanation.

amazing episode.

I get that the hongou sickness part was to bamboozle oreki, but how did irisu lie to hongou?

This was perhaps the only thing i was confused about. How did irisu manage to convince hongou to stop working on the script? At the end where green text (supposedly hongou) is chatting with irisu, irisu actually says "it probably won't live up to the movie you had in mind" and then orange text (presumably oreki's sister) confirms it by saying "you just rejected it in a way so that you wouldn't hurt her"
but I still dont know what irisu said exactly to trick hongou into thinking she was actually HELPING her, not selfishly rewriting the script for her....
ftghbJul 2, 2012 11:37 PM
Jul 2, 2012 11:35 PM
Jan 2012
vampko said:
KaitoDash said:
vampko said:
yet, he ignored the most important mystery that was in front of him the whole time. So, can you call him a great detective really?

That's why he had to change his perspective, right? I honestly think it was unfair towards him. He was given false clues for Film mystery to solve Hongou's novel mystery, which are two different mysteries. So to say, given clues for one mystery to solve another. That's just absurd.

I disagree that he ignored Hongou's mystery, rather he mixed the two mysteries up. And expecting him to separate them is going too far when he was told that the film was filmed according to Hongou's writings. Anyone would believe that the two would be consistent and have the same contents.

Again, you're missing the point. Why was it that some of us were able to clue in on the correct mystery? It's because we didn't focus on what everyone else was. We tried to find out what was inconsistent. We weren't satisfied with the information we were handed so quickly. The truth is usually buried under other 'truths'. And the true goal, is usually hidden within the 'obvious goal'.

Now, I probably should just say this is myself. Since I can't manage to begin to say how someone else thinks. So, as for myself, this is the way I thought to get to this conclusion.

Saying that it's not Oreki's fault because he was handed the wrong evidence, just means that he was being lazy in a sense.

Oreki I'm sure realized this, and that's why he was so frustrated. He let himself be used. Could he end up a great detective in the future? It's possible, but he has to learn more about thinking outside the box. Still, he's got a good deal of potential.

@others
And, about everyone being 'mean' to Oreki. Remember how Houtaro kept on trying to say that Fukube had some kind of talent? Well, Fukube either has little confidence in himself, or he's well aware of his limits. I'm thinking it's the latter. What Houtaro did to Fukube is akin to a really strong kid ragging on a weak kid for not being able to stand up to the bullies. The weak kid wants soooo bad to stand up to them, but he knows that it would end up in him getting beat up, since he's tried it before. So, the more the strong kid says these things, the more it frustrates the weak kid, and it's like throwing daggers into him each time.

Chitanda wasn't mad at Oreki persay, she just didn't like the result. And since she sort of considered herself a friend of Hongou, she was also upset that Hongou's wish couldn't be fulfilled. And, to be honest, Oreki kinda shoved Chitanda to the side a bit, as did everyone else, even though she was the one with the right mindset.

Mayaka didn't really seem to blow up at Houtaro at all, just let him know that things didn't make sense.

All three of them said it was a great end though.

EDIT
Ah, forgot this too. He read the script. So, he could have easily realized that something was off.

There's still something off about the way that fuku went about it. It was like he knew better than oreki did about what the story should have been according to Hongou. So it was like setting him up to fail and then making him feel guilty for not noticing it.

Weird timeline thing. If fukube cared enough to lay it into oreki like that, wouldnt oreki had been made aware of his mistake a lot sooner than post production? Kind of odd that it seemed no one talked to him (mayaka and eru included) about it until AFTER the fact. that kind of inconsistency didnt jive with me.

To your point about oreki "easily" figuring it out from the script....wasn't the script incomplete and probably altered already since we know that irisu was being the manipulative shrew that she was?

Also to my recollection, i dont really recall eru doing much except mashing down whiskey bon bons and then sleeping it off. The fact that she had the same feelings as hongou kinda came after the fact and just seemed like the writer's touch on poetic justice (or irony, in this case)

All in all, this arc was pretty well planned, putting aside the overly dramatic overtone and inconsistency with the last part. I dont really find it prudent to really review a single episode....otherwise I would be like the rest of the people here who were bitching after episode 9 about how the screening of the movie was a wasted 7-9 minutes of their lives and the 3 students' dialogue was pointless. In the end, it was all critical to telling a cohesive logical story.

I want to say that irisu got her just desserts, but i dont feel satisfied. Oh well, I doubt she'll be back. On the other hand, Im really curious and interested to see what oreki's sister's intentions are....cause right now it just looks like she's fucking with him.
Jul 2, 2012 11:44 PM
Jan 2012
EOTW said:
Well This has probably been the best arc so far in the series, but man I just wanted to tell Oreki to just calm down. He was taking this a little to seriously. I mean he seemed suicidal.

that scene in the tea house....i swear he was going to punch her or something.....my first thought was 'cool'.....but then i remembered it was about a stupid little club film
Jul 2, 2012 11:46 PM

Jun 2008
Is it me or has Hyouka been Really Over Emotional in this last arc?
Jul 3, 2012 12:22 AM
Jul 2009
It's obviously his sister. In the chat, she calls him an idiot.

Edit: And she says she's half-way around the world.
Jul 3, 2012 12:48 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode. One of my favorites so far. Oreki really got bashed first half. But at least he figured it all out in the end.

Irisu really made me mad this episode. I kinda understand why she did it, but still, her using him like that made me mad. Well, yet again, I didn't see the end result coming. Never would of guessed this whole thing was for him to come up with the ending. Oreki's explanation for what the script writer actually wanted makes sense. I really wonder why the girl attacked the guy and why he forgave her. I guess some questions just won't get answered.

Still really loving this series. Great music, great character, great animation, great mystery (most of the time). Can't wait to see what happens next.
Jul 3, 2012 2:12 AM

Jun 2011
one more awesome episode
Jul 3, 2012 3:26 AM
Mar 2008
So much retarded and pointless drama.
This shit just gets worse and worse.
Jul 3, 2012 4:51 AM
Feb 2011
meh, this ep lower the rating for me... I mean why so much hate on Oreki? He did nothing wrong in my eyes, and then Irisu became a new hate object
Jul 3, 2012 5:42 AM

Jan 2008
I don't know why everyone is hating on Irisu. Satoshi even warned Oreki what type of person she is (that she uses people like pawns), but everyone instead chose to ignore that fact and hoped she was be a great addition to the team and/or a possible love interest. Yet, when she shows her true colors, which was already stated ahead of time, you guys want to get upset? lol.

I thought the episode was great. It distinctly showed how each member of the club contributes into solving their mysteries and it is enjoyable seeing the emotional development of Oreki. The Tarot cards was a cool concept as well.

I would like to see more involvement with Oreki's sister as well. Her actions with forcing Oreki to join the club, knowledge of the true concept of hyouka, and involvement with this past arc raises a lot of questions.

Jul 3, 2012 6:31 AM
Jun 2012
s2012k1993 said:

Actually, the scriptwriter, Hongou, does chat about this with Irisu online. I wasn't making this up; it's actually mentioned in the online chat scene between Irisu and Hongou.

Yes, the scriptwriter expresses that view. The issue is that you think it is a special true goal, and that you thinking it special would affect how the characters are written. It's that last part that doesn't make sense to me.

KaitoDash said:
Helpme said:
KaitoDash said:

I'm not sure you understand my point. Logically, since the door is locked, it is impossible for the culprit to walk through that door. Thus Kounosu won't use the windows because it doesn't help her pass through the door. Hongou's trick was explained that Kounosu was able to use that windows because the door wasn't locked. Houtarou clearly explained this.

Yes, the murder being done in the way shown in the video prevents the victim from locking the door himself. The problem with you logic is that this doesn't preclude all other ways of dealing with a locked door.
Jul 3, 2012 7:08 AM
Nov 2011
Wow, people are found Irisu to be bad ? :/ ... huh, now that's a shocker. I thought the general consensus would be closer to she did what had to be done, she did right for the bigger picture.

:/ and as cold and terrible as may come out, bear with me. Isn't it pretty realistic the talentless get rolled over by the ones with talent? No one likes to hear that, but that's how the world work.
Jul 3, 2012 8:52 AM

Apr 2012
Helpme said:
s2012k1993 said:

Yes, the scriptwriter expresses that view. The issue is that you think it is a special true goal, and that you thinking it special would affect how the characters are written. It's that last part that doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I have to apologize on two accounts. First, my assumption that high school students generally care more about their happiness than the success of a movie project might be unfounded. Second, I shouldn't have blatantly used the phrase, "true goal," when referring to high school students' happiness.

If we do assume that high school students generally prioritize their happiness and that I am using "true" in a relative manner as opposed to an absolute manner, then what I said about Irisu's intentions makes perfect sense. I guess you can be picky about my language and its specificity, but in forums I try to convey my thoughts without relying on so much rigidity, so to make myself accessible. What do you say?
Jul 3, 2012 10:26 AM
Jan 2011
All that because the dude messed up?

I hate chitanda.
Jul 3, 2012 12:56 PM

Aug 2008
vampko said:
KaitoDash said:
vampko said:

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear from the start.

When I said he went beyond great detective, I meant fictitious mystery detectives. I didn't compare him to me or any people here. I just meant to say that mystery fictions don't usually throw false clues at the detectives. So Houtarou who can deduce with the false clues is smarter than them. But I'm not so knowledgeable about mystery fiction myself, there might something like that around I don't know.

Furthermore, I don't really consider Houtarou a detective. His narration is very much like one, but his style of deduction is not. He usually just comes up with hypothesis that is possible and does not defy logic. He doesn't declare any evidence, so I don't consider him a detective. Rather, I think he is just a brat who is smarter than fictitious great detectives.

I agree with everything else that you said, so I didn't quote it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helpme said:
KaitoDash said:
Helpme said:
KaitoDash said:

Yes, the murder being done in the way shown in the video prevents the victim from locking the door himself. The problem with you logic is that this doesn't preclude all other ways of dealing with a locked door.

Sorry, it's not my logic but Houtarou's. I just comprehended what he explained.
If you say that Houtarou's final deduction is wrong, then I have nothing else to say.
KaitoDashJul 3, 2012 2:13 PM
Jul 3, 2012 6:26 PM

Mar 2012
Jesus Christ I still couldn’t understand, so why is it from the start the movie could ran off from Hongou’s script even before she was being told to feign illness??
Claude_KennyJul 3, 2012 6:39 PM
Keep moving forward
Jul 3, 2012 6:49 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
2easy4AgEnT said:
Jesus Christ I still couldn’t understand, so why is it from the start the movie could ran off from Hongou’s script even before she was being told to feign illness??
One of the characters stated the reason - she wasn't 'on-site' supervising the filming and the cast and crew just started modifying things on the fly.
Jul 3, 2012 9:58 PM

Jul 2010
That was an excellent episode! Some decent character development and insight into what drives Oreki!
Jul 3, 2012 10:10 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
A decent conclusion imo. I'm not finding the mysteries very engaging though unfourtunately... Hoping for something that has a bit more on the line for the cast. The character development in Oreki was nice to see; hoping to see some more collaborative efforts from everyone else though and not just Oreki solving mostly everything. I'm pleased with this show so far though.
Jul 4, 2012 3:39 AM

Jan 2011
That was ok, but I was expecting more.
I want some real mysteries or something else, I'm still watching this because of animation quality and I wonder why this show got such a high budget...
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 4, 2012 3:53 AM

Apr 2012
Kakkoi-Kun said:
It's obviously his sister. In the chat, she calls him an idiot.

Edit: And she says she's half-way around the world.

sorry..
i cant agree with the idea that she is chattin with oreki sister..
first of all,
if its really her then why she always use letters to communicate with oreki?
isnt mail is more effective than a letter?
then,
from what i see oreki had pc on his home.
and he had no difficulty in operating the electronic devices too!
why doenst she use e-mail or chatting to cummunicate with him?

do you guys really think "he's half-way around the world" really means "real worlds"?
there is a possibility that it also means "because she is in cyberspace" or a methapor of "far away"...
Jul 4, 2012 4:00 AM

Mar 2012
Cratex said:
2easy4AgEnT said:
One of the characters stated the reason - she wasn't 'on-site' supervising the filming and the cast and crew just started modifying things on the fly.

So it means not only Irisu being "mean" to Hongou but also the classmates? Hmm, that's why Hongou's best friend Eba Kurako looked so pissed off all the time lol
Claude_KennyJul 4, 2012 4:05 AM
Keep moving forward
Jul 4, 2012 4:56 AM
Jun 2012
ftghb said:

I get that the hongou sickness part was to bamboozle oreki, but how did irisu lie to hongou?

This was perhaps the only thing i was confused about. How did irisu manage to convince hongou to stop working on the script? At the end where green text (supposedly hongou) is chatting with irisu, irisu actually says "it probably won't live up to the movie you had in mind" and then orange text (presumably oreki's sister) confirms it by saying "you just rejected it in a way so that you wouldn't hurt her"
but I still dont know what irisu said exactly to trick hongou into thinking she was actually HELPING her, not selfishly rewriting the script for her....

There is nothing in the Anime to indicate that Fuyumi lied, only that she didn't mention one thing. She didn't want to write a new ending, might not even be able to, so Fuyumi just told her that she would handle it. Of course, Fuyumi also thought it a good thing, since the original ending was boring, but why would she mention that? It would just be mean.

KaitoDash said:

Sorry, it's not my logic but Houtarou's. I just comprehended what he explained.
If you say that Houtarou's final deduction is wrong, then I have nothing else to say.

Oh,ok. Admittedly, I haven't read the novels. So if he said that there, then yes, he is wrong.

s2012k1993 said:

If we do assume that high school students generally prioritize their happiness and that I am using "true" in a relative manner as opposed to an absolute manner, then what I said about Irisu's intentions makes perfect sense.

I say it still doesn't make sense. Let me put it in another way. I Fuyumi had known about the special true goal at an earlier point, what would the author need to change, in your opinion?
HelpmeJul 4, 2012 5:01 AM
Jul 4, 2012 6:58 AM

Aug 2008
I give up on the 'mysteries' and I'm just watching it for the characters now.

Irisu is a piece of work. Deep down she knows she is manipulative but doesn't like it when other people point it out evident when she got defensive with Oreki's sister.

This is also completely unrelated but when Irisu was narrating the 'talentless/talented' story last episode, I immediately thought of Satoshi and Houtarou. It's possible Satoshi is jealous of Houtarou's talents.
Jul 4, 2012 11:55 AM

May 2012
Here's a hint to help those who are struggling with the 'overdramatic' scenes in this :
It's a Slice of Life show. Yes, there's mystery involved, but the real genre is Slice of Life.

That's why the mysteries have not exactly been the most 'mysterious', and stuff that you'd never see made out to be so serious, are being made out to be serious.

Although, I've seen drama to this level in real life PLENTY of times. So, I'm not all that surprised.

As for Irisu, she got too absorbed in success, and forgot the purpose was to grow closer with her club mates and have a good time. That's what I was saying about 'fun' being the goal that she had missed.

Even whomever that was online pointed it out.

And, that likely IS his sister, but there's still a possibility it isn't.
Jul 4, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2011
Well, that was an interesting wrap up of that arc.

Looks like this was the first time Oreki got something wrong and is pissed off because of it. Hmmm...maybe Chitanda will be able to heal his lazy robotic heart.

Well, thats one idea for what the creator is going for.
Jul 4, 2012 7:59 PM

Aug 2009
Mad Oreki is so... HHNNGGGG.
I never really liked Irisu (or her hair, lol), so I'm okay with how things turned out. And for those saying that this was too dramatic, lololol!
High Schoolers are always over-dramatic about things like this. I understand how Irisu feels, but I don't agree with how she did things.
I've seen people act really dramatic over some pretty dumb things before, so this doesn't bother me one bit.
Jul 4, 2012 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
Wooooaaah~ Nice one! :)) That was true! Why didn't they ask the writer nor the bestfriend of the scripwriter.. :D When we're really focusing on something, we don't even notice those little things which make up the whole one..
I was quite disappointed when Oreki finished the case last episode because It was like, he could do it himself. I mean,, alone, So what was the importance of Satoshi, Ibara and Chitanda deshou?
demo in ths episde, it was like, the parts where Oreki missed was filled out by these 3., and i totally loved that idea though its cliche. :))

About Irisu, woooah~ when Angry Oreki confronted her, I really saw her as an Empress. it was like, no matter how others confronted her, She will remain as composed as she always is.. :)
I don't like her demo I don't hate her also. She was a girl full of responsibility anyway. :0

About the chat.. I was confused, I thought at first when the arc started, it was chitanda,, She was like asking for help right? But oh well, I guess I don't remember it much.. BUt then, she typed "Senpai."
The first character that I thought of was Oreki's sister.. Demo, I don't have anymore basis aside from the Senpai..
the other world that she mentioned can mean a lot of things..

I also read the comments about Satoshi being jealous of Oreki..
hmn, yeah? maybe, there was kind of something like that? I think they already had a conversation with that deshou? Hmnn. maybe it'll be solved in the future cases? :')

Chitanda being useful = NICE! Haha.
I mean, This time, Her perspective helped Oreki the most.. :') Nice Nice! Banzai! :D Haha. I want her to be always useful.

Tarot Cards Meaning. :D
Oreki is Strength.. = PERFECT! :D

All in all, this episode was nice. :)
Next is the festival,, Im excited. :)
Jul 5, 2012 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
"Why didn’t she ask EBA?"?

Again and again. What is this?
Jul 5, 2012 8:11 AM

Aug 2011
This episode made me like Irisu but the whole thing felt pretty melodramatic.
Jul 5, 2012 10:20 AM

Apr 2011
Mad Oreki is Mad!

Needs more Irisu senpai
Jul 5, 2012 11:17 AM

May 2011
-Yumaol- said:
"Why didn’t she ask EBA?"?

Again and again. What is this?

EBA is the short haired girl who escorted the Classics club to meet the movie crew to get info and theories.

EBA exclaimed that Hongou, the original script writer, was "her best friend"

"Why didn't she ask EBA?" was the smoking gun clue that Hontorou and the rest of the club should have realized they were being lied to. Even if Hongou is bed ridden sick, EBA, the best friend, could help finish the script by visiting Hongou and asking her what she wanted done.

Magito said:
Mad Oreki is Mad!

Needs more Irisu senpai

I get the feeling that Irisu is toast in the series. She burned a lot of bridges using the Hontorous and Chitandas to solve her little dilemma, which is a shame. It would be nice to see her in the fanservice episode coming up.
CirrisJul 5, 2012 11:21 AM
Jul 5, 2012 4:06 PM

Jul 2008
Shadowninja100 said:
I like the episode but I have to agree that it was way too dramatic. It was just an amateur movie, I was really bothered by how the other characters reacted when they realized Houtarou was wrong. Especially Satoshi, his outburst seemed completely out of character for something that really wasn't that important.

I completely agree. This was just a movie for a club for a festival at a public high school. It doesn't matter at all. I have no idea why everyone was overreacting so much.
Jul 6, 2012 2:02 AM

Jun 2009
It seems a lot of people here do not understand the reason for Oreki's anger.
It is not about the film or the fact that he was tricked into writing the ending. It is about him finally beginning to believe that he may have an unusual gift after being told so by Irisu. Now his emerging hope of finally finding a direction in life is threatened, first by discovering he is fallible, then by fearing that Irisu had been leading him on by insincere flattery.

I think people complaining here should gain some perspective. Go watch 100 episodes of Scooby-Doo. Maybe then you'll be more appreciative of the efforts behind this anime.
I for one am grateful for being able to watch something like this.
Jul 6, 2012 4:14 AM

Apr 2012
Definitely shocked with the reaction of Chitanda, Satoshi and Ibara but I couldn't help but agree that this kind of reaction also happens in real life and I mean really, Houtarou isn't perfect although he has this deduction skills.

Klodrik said:
Now his emerging hope of finally finding a direction in life is threatened.

Of course the part where he wrote the ending unintentionally is a small factor, I agree that the part where Irisu had 'manipulated' or lead him on by insincere flattery (~quoted) He was already taking on a good character development and now we won't really know what would happen to him, if maybe he'd go back to being the same guy he was on episode 1 or he'd just move on. But we can't really say that with the shaky bond he has now with Satoshi and maybe the 2 other girls too.

Definitely loving the series especially for its art.
Speaking of, anybody notice since episode 10 how the art style of their faces changed??? Not that much but somehow kind of tweaked. Or maybe that's just me.

Can't wait for the next episode :D

My forum picture is awesome. #sorrynotsorry (tumblr)

Jul 6, 2012 8:12 AM

Jul 2009
Very interesting... but I wanna see more romance in there too...
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.